Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MrHMSH
Topic Author

What Wrist Do You Wear Your Watch On?

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:01 pm

I know this is really odd, I know it's really trivial, but I just wanted to know.

When I very first got a watch, my father told me to wear it on my left wrist. Normally I would think this is so you can tell the time whilst writing, and also because it gets in the way less. However, my father is left handed and wears his watch on his left, which ruins the logic.

So the question is: Do you wear your watch on your weaker hand, and if not, why, and does it cause any annoyances?

Regards,
Martin.

LAX772LR

RE: What Wrist Do You Wear Your Watch On?

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:14 pm

Neither. I haven't worn a watch in yearrrrs. Just don't see the point.

But back when I did, I always wore it on the left. I'm right-handed, so would wear it left, and use right hand whenever I needed to adjust it or tighten, or whatever.

joacocifuentes

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:14 pm

I wear it in my left wrist but it's the same for me.- It's a matter of getting used.-

AirPacific747

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:29 pm

I wear it on my left wrist even though I'm left handed. I dont really know why, it just feels better than having it on the right wrist.

Braybuddy

Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:45 am

The only time I wear a watch now is if I'm dressing-up for a special occasion, but when I do it's always on my left wrist, and I'm left-handed too.

I reckon that goes back to the old days of wind-up watches, where the winder was always on the right, if I remember correctly. This was probably to facilitate right handed people, who are in the majority.   

PHX787

Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:06 am

Watch wearing is strange for me....I feel naked without it here in Japan but I really don't care at all for wearing it in the states. Probably because in Japan I feel like I need to be punctual, to the T. If I know I have to be somewhere, I have to coordinate everything wit the train schedule, so having a watch helps me a lot.

I wear it on my left wrist. Feels more comfortable there.

zckls04

Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:08 am

Always on the right wrist. I am right handed.

My parents wear it on the right too- I don't know why. Everybody else wears it on the left. Maybe it's some peculiar genetic trait, but I can't bear it on the left. It feels all....weird!

Max Q

Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:09 am

Always on my left, and i'm right handed.

Love watches, sad that today's generation doesn't use or appreciate them.

rwessel

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:49 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 7):

Unfortunately they're pretty useless now. I always wear one, but that's probably more habit than anything else. It's really the only piece of jewelry I wear - and if I'm going to be honest about it, that's what it is - just a decoration on the end of my arm.

For the thread, I'm right handed, watch on left.

Much of life now has a clock in easy view. Sitting at you computer, or driving, for example, and when that's not true, your cell is only slightly more work to look at than a watch, especially if you're wearing a long-sleeved shirt.

dc10bhx

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:21 am

I am right handed and wear my watch on my left wrist. I have worn a watch now for over 37 years without missing more
than a couple of days (after breaking my wrist a number of years ago).

I can understand why people do not want to wear a watch (between phones / tablets / computers etc) there is no
requirement to have an item on you which tells the time. Perhaps it is a generational thing but even my daughters are
saying that they do not feel dressed without a watch on their wrists. Funny thing is that they are both right handed yet
one of them wears her watch on the left wrist and the other on her right wrist. The one thing they kept on about is having
a digital watch which I refused to get them. I insisted that until they can tell the time on a proper analogue watch (and
therefore every other traditional clock face) that they would not get a digital watch. My wife on the other hand does not wear
a watch unless we are going out for a function.

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:41 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 7):

Shame on them. I feel lost without mine. I once had to go a month without and even at the end, I was still instinctively looking at my wrist. If I see a nice one at not too expensive price I don't hesitate to buy it.

NZ107

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:22 am

I'm left handed and it's always on my left wrist. The main dial on analog watches is usually on the right hand side of the watch.. Which makes putting the watch on the right wrist awkward when you're changing the time..

diverted

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:34 am

Quoting rwessel (Reply 8):
Unfortunately they're pretty useless now. I always wear one, but that's probably more habit than anything else. It's really the only piece of jewelry I wear - and if I'm going to be honest about it, that's what it is - just a decoration on the end of my arm.

I agree. I like wearing a watch, but it's not like I feel naked without one. I avoid wearing it to work because it's one more item I may have to remove multiple times in a day at various security points.

AirPacific747

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:38 am

Quoting diverted (Reply 12):

What, really? My watch is made of steel and I go through metal detectors every day without a problem even with my watch on.

Kiwirob

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:44 am

Quoting MrHMSH (Thread starter):
However, my father is left handed and wears his watch on his left, which ruins the logic.

I am also løeft handed but wear my watch on my right wrist. The only disadvantage is I have to take the watch off to change the time or set the date.

Unfortunately they're pretty useless now.

Since when? Cell phone batteries have a tendancy to run out, my watches never do.

PhilBy

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:38 pm

Sitting at you computer, or driving, for example, and when that's not true, your cell is only slightly more work to look at than a watch, especially if you're wearing a long-sleeved shirt.

The phone is however a bugger to look at when running, cycling, kayaking, diving, rock climbing, gardening, driving a tractor etc. Although, to be honest for kayaking the watch is on the shoulder strap of the bouyancy vest and for climbing on an accessory loop of the harness!

LAX772LR

Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:54 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 7):

That's because the watch has gone the way of the horse: more of a fashion-statement than a necessity

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 14):
Since when? Cell phone batteries have a tendancy to run out, my watches never do.

Unless you live somewhere past Timbuktu, there's just about always going to be:
1) somewhere to tell time
2) somewhere to recharge
3) someone standing right next to you with the time
4) a spare battery on hand-- if you're smart enough to not have the stupid iPhone.  

Flighty

Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:16 pm

I wear a watch on left hand, right handed. Prefer automatics!

Kiwirob

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:11 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 16):
2) somewhere to recharge
4) a spare battery on hand-- if you're smart enough to not have the stupid iPhone.

or I could just look at my watch without

1) Needing to look for a clock
2) Finding a recharging point
3) Asking someone what the time is
4) Or carrying a spare battery.

LAX772LR

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:28 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 18):

Sure you could, just like you could place a call on your rotary dial while hoping it doesn't tie up your dial-up modem.  

....as for the rest of us, we've evolved with the times.

rwessel

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:41 pm

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 15):
The phone is however a bugger to look at when running, cycling, kayaking, diving, rock climbing, gardening, driving a tractor etc. Although, to be honest for kayaking the watch is on the shoulder strap of the bouyancy vest and for climbing on an accessory loop of the harness!

True enough, but I don't wear my normal everyday watch for those sorts of activities. An inexpensive sports watch has the advantage of both being likely to survive those activities, and being basically disposable. I barely consider it a "watch". It certainly isn't anything deserving much appreciation for its aesthetics.

The computer on my bike tells time. No need to look at the (sports) watch on my wrist, or haul out the cell phone. And if I'm golfing, I take my watch off anyway, I don't like it on my wrist when I swing. Skiing is a wash, in terms of how hard it is to undo enough of the end of your sleeve and glove to see the watch (which also depends on how cold it is), or hauling your cell out of the easy access pocket. Although the former is safer - you're not going to drop the watch accidentally, as it's strapped to your wrist.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 14):

In practice, running my cell phone flat is very rare.

flymia

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:09 pm

I don't wear my watch everyday, typically just to occasions or days I have to go to court, but always on the left wrist. I am right handed.

andz

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:40 pm

I wear my watch on my left wrist, I always have. Despite all the arguments against them that are posted above, if I leave the house without my watch on I will go back for it if I'm not too far from home.

I have worn the same watch since 2000, it is one of only 3 watches I own.

Mine has an aluminium strap from another Swatch that died but I still have the leather strap, brand new.

zckls04

Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:08 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 19):

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 18):

Sure you could, just like you could place a call on your rotary dial while hoping it doesn't tie up your dial-up modem.  

Using a Rotary dial is less efficient than using a push-button phone. But the wristwatch is more efficient than all of your alternatives. At best you've just come up with some workarounds  .

In any case the reason I wear one is because, along with the wedding ring, it's one of only two pieces of jewellery a man can wear without looking completely trashy.

scbriml

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:07 pm

Unfortunately they're pretty useless now.

Er, no.    My watches will run for weeks after being in daylight for one day (unlike my stupid iPhone that needs to be charged EVERY single day).

Being left-handed, my watch is always on my right wrist. I always assumed that most people found it easier to put their watch on with their 'stronger' hand.

It's very rare that one of these isn't on my wrist:
Titanium for everyday wear

Glod & leather for dress wear

Chaostheory

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:35 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 6):
Maybe it's some peculiar genetic trait, but I can't bear it on the left. It feels all....weird!

Don't worry.

You're not weird or peculiar. I'm the same.

I wear one of these:

Yes. I'm a cheapskate.

The only criticism I have is that the straps do not seem to last as long as they used to.

StrandedAtMKG

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 pm

Haven't worn a watch in years (because honestly, why?), but I recently got a Fitbit Charge that is structurally similar to a watch, and it goes on my non-dominant hand (my right). I don't think I'd have the dexterity in my right hand to fiddle with the clasp if I wore it on my left.

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:43 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 24):

I like your style sir!

Quoting ChaosTheory (Reply 25):
Yes. I'm a cheapskate.

Nothing wrong with it, I always used to wear a digital watch (I have two that I bought from VivoCity in Singapore alone), and only recently have I bought watches because they look good. That said, I started that trend with a €25 watch from a street in Paris.

However THIS is my current wear, and I am absolutely chuffed with it:

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 16):
2) somewhere to recharge

That may be true, but still, for me nothing beats the simplicity of looking at my watch, whether that be during exams when I have no phone (I always look at my watch first, the big clock is a mystery to me  ). There are a lot of times whenI'm swimming, adventuring or even just around the house where I have no phone, and since I feel genuiney lost without knowing the time, I simply must have my watch. A extreme example, but watches still have a place as a means of telling time.

larshjort

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:21 am

When I Wear a Watch, I have it on my left wrist. I am let handed. I haven't worn a watch daily for ~8 years now. When I started my apprenticeship as an AME we were not allowed to wear watches or bracelets whilst working on aircraft. I gues it was easier jut not to wear a watch at all.

I do have a Junkers I use once in a while though.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71zjB4M-WpL._UL1500_.jpg

/Lars

WarRI1

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:38 am

Left handed, watch on left wrist. A habit from the days of winding your watch manually every day. It was easier with the watch stem on the outside for me.

LAX772LR

Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:00 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 23):
it's one of only two pieces of jewellery a man can wear without looking completely trashy.

Bah. Nothing wrong with cufflinks, or (in a non-business scenario) a Crucifix or Star of David, or similar.

BreninTW

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:01 am

Both my partner and I are right-handed and wear our watches on our left wrists. My mother is left-handed and always wears her watch on her right wrist.

My mom has always maintained that wearing her watch on her non-dominant wrist stops it fogging up when she's cooking. For me, it's a force of habit more than anything else -- I tend to take my watch off when I'm cooking.

I also always take my watch off when adjusting the date and time -- I just can't do that while wearing any of my watches (which are all Seiko analog watches -- one is an auto-winding watch I have to wear every day to keep it wound, the other two are battery powered).

AR385

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:30 am

Left handed, so watch on right wrist. It allows me to have more freedom on my left hand. But:

1) Reading the thread I see that issued is not really a problem.
2) A.net is full of left handed people...

B777LRF

Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:54 am

A gentleman always wears a watch, and this one is mine. It lives on my left wrist, and has done so for quite a few years. It's an automatic (like all 'real' watches should be) and never needs to be charged or have a change of battery. Reading the time is a question of simply flicking the wrist; no need to dig into pockets to find the phone.

[Edited 2015-04-21 01:54:59]

bjorn14

Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:55 am

Left-handed, my Suunto Vector on my right wrist.

VapourTrails

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:57 am

Quoting MrHMSH (Thread starter):
So the question is: Do you wear your watch on your weaker hand, and if not, why, and does it cause any annoyances?

Regards,
Martin.

I hardly wear a watch anymore, except when I am travelling or on a course or at a conference or dinner etc. where my mobile phone is off or out of reach or it is inapproriate to be glancing at it. Clocks aren't always reliable. Because of this, a watch feels odd now when I am wearing it, and as I have lost a couple over the years - partly because I used to take them off when typing e.g., and the replacements are never usually as good (I don't usually spend a lot of money on watches). The current one slips round because the band is ill-fitting, so that is annoying and I need to get it replaced, or get another new watch! Think I was about ten when I got my first watch and back then was so proud to wear one, I think that is not now the case then LOL, no incentive. Had this digital one that was a clockface with the hands which was fabulous back then. Don't like metal bands or the ones that pinch. I had a stretchy metal link band which was good because it fitted.

I write left-handed, but am ambidextrous, and I always wear it on my left wrist though as that was the norm and I just got used to it (call it a left-hander in a right-handers world scenario). Then there was the time that I wore it on my right for a while, but it didn't feel the same, like it was wrong on that side!

=

PhilBy

Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:55 pm

In fact it is soo much easier to just pull a phone out of your pocket/bag than look at a watch that now we have smart watches to save you the trouble of even doing that!!!!   

aerdingus

Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:37 pm

I wear it on me right cause I'm right handed - many people think this is weird!

casinterest

Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:42 pm

Don't wear a watch anymore.
Wear it on the left should I ever feel nostalgic.

Just no purpose these days with smartphones, laptop computers, clocks in cars, clocks on microwaves, clocks on TVs.

If I was ever to go camping, I may go get my Casio or Timex back in shape, but other than that , no need for one.

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:42 pm

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 37):
I wear it on me right cause I'm right handed - many people think this is weird!

It's not weird, but it's unusual. I know of no one else.

zckls04

Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 30):
Bah. Nothing wrong with cufflinks, or (in a non-business scenario) a Crucifix or Star of David, or similar.

Agreed, I forgot cufflinks. Anything around the neck is an absolute no-no though.

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 36):
In fact it is soo much easier to just pull a phone out of your pocket/bag than look at a watch that now we have smart watches to save you the trouble of even doing that!!!!

Very true.

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 33):
A gentleman always wears a watch, and this one is mine.

Very nice. I love IWC watches. Lovely proportions.

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 33):
It's an automatic (like all 'real' watches should be)

Not sure I agree with that. I have some stunning quartz watches in my collection- they might not be as beautifully engineered as the automatics, but they are still works of art in their own way.

Beardown91737

Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:43 am

I wear Casio like ChaosTheory shows in Post 25. One on my left wrist, one on my right. I am right handed and it is hard to put on the watch on my right wrist but I need it when I am performing my weekend job as a soccer referee.

Outside of that, I would probably only wear a watch somewhere where I could not have my phone, like in a poker room. I used to wear a watch (just the left) on airline flights, but now that you can have your phone on during takeoff and landing, I don't bother.

YVRLTN

Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:05 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 4):
I reckon that goes back to the old days of wind-up watches, where the winder was always on the right, if I remember correctly

I wear mine on the left because the winder is on the right and digs into my wrist on the right hand.

I still wear the Rotary my parents bought me for my 21st. I stopped wearing it for a while as I put on weight and it became too tight, but the weight has been somewhat remedied and the watch fits again...

Max Q

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:54 am

I've been wearing a Bulova 'Marine Star' for probably 15 years now.

Its my 'poor mans Rolex' looks a lot like a Rolex Submariner but a fraction of the price and I have scuba dived with
it to a little over 100 feet.

Its 'water resistant' to 100 meters officially but I never had a problem with it. One of the best ideas I had was to buy the lifetime battery replacement, i'm lucky to get 2 years out of one.

Always been a Rolex fan but I just can't see spending that much money on a watch, they do look great thought, especially the submariner and the GMT Master.

Anyone have one ?

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:48 am

Quoting Beardown91737 (Reply 41):
I wear Casio like ChaosTheory shows in Post 25. One on my left wrist, one on my right. I am right handed and it is hard to put on the watch on my right wrist but I need it when I am performing my weekend job as a soccer referee.

A soccer referee? Wow! Out of interest where do you referee and what do you use the 2nd watch for?

ams747757

Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:05 pm

I almost always wear a watch, feels strange when I forget to put it on! When I was younger I liked wearing it on my right wrist for some reason, despite being right handed. Now its always on the left. I'm quite fond of Swiss watches, both times I've been to Switzerland I came back with a watch, and minus a fair amount of money.      

CXB77L

Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:56 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 19):

... except that nothing has been invented so far that is as convenient as a watch for telling the time.

For me, a watch is still essential, and to answer the OP's question, I wear it on my left wrist.

northstardc4m

Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:18 pm

My Breitling SuperOcean 44 lives on my left wrist... Only because I keep smacking in on the desk otherwise using the mouse with it on my right wrist.

Also in 10 years my watch will still be ticking baring some accident (without external charging or even manual winding), those smart watches, phones, etc will be... well... junk.

Beardown91737

Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:38 am

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 44):
where do you referee and what do you use the 2nd watch for?

I referee games for club teams in Southern California and the Coast Soccer League, which is a large youth league. Our area is in the Inland Empire area but our association gets subcontracts to cover larger tournaments in Orange and San Diego counties.

During fall season I moved to North Texas due to my day job, and have not re-certified for 2015 yet, but I need to get moving on that.

The second watch is a backup to the first. I start the right hand watch before I signal for kickoff, and then start the left hand watch when the ball is in play, which is the official start of the game. The Assistant Referees both back up the Referee on timing and when I am AR, I go through the same sequence based on the referee starting play.

Cadet985

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:00 am

Always on my left, and I'm right handed. My left hand/wrist just feel, well I really can't describe it. I'm also 29, have a phone that can to 1000x what a watch can, and I wouldn't give my watches up for anything.

Marc