Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stratosphere
Topic Author

Veterinarian Fired For Killing CAT

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Now this is something close to my heart. I love cats and this infuriated me to no end and to think a vet would do such a thing is incredible to me. I hope she loses her vet license for good. What are your thoughts

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.co...red-After-Bragging-of-Killing-Cat/

DocLightning

RE: Veterinarian Fired For Killing CAT

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:28 pm

Quoting stratosphere (Thread starter):
Now this is something close to my heart. I love cats and this infuriated me to no end and to think a vet would do such a thing is incredible to me. I hope she loses her vet license for good. What are your thoughts

Agreed.

Stray/feral cat populations are a problem, but trap-and-neuter is much more humane AND much more effective, especially with the new copper injection that allows for neutering of cats and dogs with a simple injection into the testes, making it into a 60-second procedure that costs ~$15.

The neutered cats compete with un-neutered animals for resources and if the trapping is done well, populations can be very significantly reduced.

In fact, this cat wound up being someone's pet, I believe. I would be livid.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

vikkyvik

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:48 pm

Her comment is just so ironically funny:

“My first bow kill, lol. The only good feral tomcat is one with an arrow through its head! Vet of the year award ... gladly accepted.”

How's that award working out for you?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

usflyer msp

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:51 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
The neutered cats compete with un-neutered animals for resources and if the trapping is done well, populations can be very significantly reduced.

So its better to let them starve to death than just kill them? While this vet's method was extreme, I don't disagree with her about disposing of feral/stray cats. Plus, I hate cats anyway...

stratosphere
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:53 pm

Agreed.

Stray/feral cat populations are a problem, but trap-and-neuter is much more humane AND much more effective, especially with the new copper injection that allows for neutering of cats and dogs with a simple injection into the testes, making it into a 60-second procedure that costs ~$15.

Agreed Doc only one problem this cat was not a stray/feral cat it belonged to a neighbor his name was Tiger. But still and all even a stray/feral doesnt deserve this. It is especially disturbing that she is a vet I equate this to an MD pediatrician who is a pediphile. Neither belongs working in those fields. Oh and the Texas board of licensing for Vets has been swamped with letters calling for her license to be revoked. I for one hope it is then she can enjoy paying off those student loans from her job at Burger King because thats the only place that will hire her.

[Edited 2015-04-23 10:02:52]

stratosphere
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Quoting USFlyer MSP (Reply 3):
So its better to let them starve to death than just kill them? While this vet's method was extreme, I don't disagree with her about disposing of feral/stray cats. Plus, I hate cats anyway...

That is the problem with a lot of people they hate cats because they have never been around them or understand them. I never hated them but I never had them growing up either we had dogs. But once a friend turned me on to them and I had one and saw what awesome animals they really are I adopted a few more. And by the way this was not a cat that needed "disposed of" this cat belonged to a neighbor of hers.

DocLightning

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:01 pm

It's not so much starving to death that's the issue. It's brood sizes. Wild animals only are fertile if they have enough to eat. If you just start killing cats, then there is more food for the remaining cats and so they make bigger broods.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

fr8mech

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:18 pm

I doubt she was fired for killing a cat...she was fired for being extremely stupid about it.

Quoting stratosphere (Reply 5):
That is the problem with a lot of people they hate cats because they have never been around them or understand them.

I have been around them...they have lived in my home. I don't like cats. I don't think we should go out and hunt them down, but I do think that a large population of feral cats (or dogs, for that matter) needs to be culled.

What's a humane, cost-effective way to do it?

Quoting stratosphere (Reply 4):
Oh and the Texas board of licensing for Vets has been swamped with letters calling for her license to be revoked.

Did she break any laws? I suspect she may have, but let's put that aside. Did she violate any of the guidelines, rules or regulations, bylaws, whatever of the Texas Veterinary Board?

If she hasn't; on what basis would they revoke her license? Because she made a stupid mistake?
When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

desertjets

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:25 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 6):

It's not so much starving to death that's the issue. It's brood sizes. Wild animals only are fertile if they have enough to eat. If you just start killing cats, then there is more food for the remaining cats and so they make bigger broods.

This is why TNR works. If you can successfully trap and spay/neuter as many of the feral cats as possible you stabilize the population and prevent it from growing. Over time it will shrink due to attrition for the lack of a better word. In addition if there is a population of fixed ferals in an area it is less likely that others that are unfixed will move in. If there are kittens in the mix you can usually capture them and rehome them fairly successfully. Generally the cats don't face a huge risk of starving to death. Largely because people feed them.

When I was in grad school for the 2nd time there was a sizeable feral cat community in the apartment complex I lived at (shocking to think that a complex with a large transient population with a no pet policy would have such an issue   ). There were at least a dozen in the colony at one point and they'd regularly be found by the large dumpster digging for food. I began feeding them and found out about a local TNR group. Began trapping and over the course of a year or so got 6 or 8 of them fixed. By the time I left the population that I was feeding was roughly those that I had fixed. I don't think they were any non-fixed hangers-on at that point. And it makes me sad that it is now ~6 years later and I doubt any of them are still around since they were pretty cats with cool personalities -- just horribly feral and afraid of humans.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

LAX772LR

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:26 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 7):
Did she violate any of the guidelines, rules or regulations, bylaws, whatever of the Texas Veterinary Board?

If she hasn't; on what basis would they revoke her license? Because she made a stupid mistake?

I would be utterly shocked if there weren't some open-ended "ethics" provision in her veterinary licensing.

Rather sure that 1) such exists and 2) this sorta thing could trigger it, if she pissed off enough of the wrong people, or if they just want to make the issue (and therefore her) go away.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

fr8mech

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:33 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 9):
I would be utterly shocked if there weren't some open-ended "ethics" provision in her veterinary licensing.

Agreed, but is this an ethics question? She thought she killed a feral cat. Maybe she didn't do her due diligence to determine the ownership of the cat, maybe she did. But, is killing a feral cat an ethics violation? Being utterly stupid about it isn't. That's just being stupid and her employer had every right to dismiss her.

I'm a fan of processes. Processes should be followed and emotions should be kept out of it. If she violated the rules of her licensure, then she should be disciplined for that violation. If she didn't violate the rules, she should be allowed to move on.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

n229nw

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:41 pm

I'm not justifying her actions, but I find people's gut reactions to animal feelings and rights so bizarrely irrational.

There is such a double standard when an animal is considered "cute" and when it is not. Cats, dogs, bunnies, they are "cute" so people care. There are online campaigns, people can raise tons of money. Everyone is up in arms. On the other hand, rats are smarter than cats, make wonderful pets, etc. etc., but no one would react if she killed a rat this way.

[Edited 2015-04-23 10:50:27]
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

LAX772LR

Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:57 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 10):
but is this an ethics question?

I'd say yes, it is. If for nothing else than how stupidly she handled it.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 10):
Being utterly stupid about it isn't.

Says who? There's more air in some of these provisions than there is in the Goodyear blimp, in part specifically to give wiggle room to deal with issues like this.

IMO, it's naive to conclude that ethics provisions are solely for the betterment of an industry; they're very much a CYA mechanism as well.

[Edited 2015-04-23 12:09:59]

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:11 pm

give her jail time, fine her, make her perform community service. Since she's already been fired from her job, and publicly shamed. Taking away her licenses seems to be too extreme.

I say that, because her mother took the photo of her killing this cat. i think her mom taught her to hate feral cats.
either that or her family is totally messed up. However, i have been around bird watchers, and they really don't like
feral cats. That was a eye opener to me.

Please don't get me wrong. i think what she and her mother did was despicable.

[Edited 2015-04-23 12:13:00]

[Edited 2015-04-23 12:14:12]

stratosphere
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:29 pm

Bottom line is this woman does not need to be around animals again. It's apparent she enjoys killing animals her blog that was made public recently bears that out. Then she posts her kill on FB and is proud of it and finds it humorous is disturbing these are the same traits found in sociopaths.

vikkyvik

Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:54 pm

Quoting stratosphere (Reply 16):
Bottom line is this woman does not need to be around animals again. It's apparent she enjoys killing animals her blog that was made public recently bears that out. Then she posts her kill on FB and is proud of it and finds it humorous is disturbing these are the same traits found in sociopaths.

I'm not a hunter myself, but I certainly don't think that all hunters are sociopaths.

Bit of a broad brush there.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

L-188

Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:08 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 7):
Did she break any laws? I suspect she may have, but let's put that aside

I don't think so, most government recognize that feral animals are health hazards. In fact for example the State of Alaska Hunters Guide mentions feral non-native animals as no closed season, no bag limits.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 9):
if she pissed off enough of the wrong people, or if they just want to make the issue (and therefore her) go away.

And that cause the whole problem. Not anything she did.

Then she posts her kill on FB and is proud of it and finds it humorous is disturbing these are the same traits found in sociopaths.

Not in the same league but when I caught a fish or shot a caribou as a kid, that was a big deal because you helped feed your family. Kids just don't get that sense of accomplishment anywhere else.

Quoting USFlyer MSP (Reply 18):
A cat does not have human rights so it ridiculous, if not offensive, to compare them to minority groups. Full stop.

Agreed, in fact I would go so far as to say it is a bit insulting.

. This is what pisses me off about the animal lover/animal rights people. I honestly think many of them care more about the animals than they do other humans.

A good portion think that all animals are just like the Disney cartoon portrayals of them. They have no legitimate frame of reference.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

aerorobnz

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:24 am

I don't have a problem killing it if it is indeed a feral cat but she is an animal welfare professional and had she trapped it and euthanised it there probably wouldn't have been an issue.

The issue is that she showed little compassion for that animal and indeed gloated and bragged over it's death (even with the use of ironic humour as it was), so what is to say she won't treat her (paying) customer's pets with the same kind of compassion.

Even if she had shot it with a crossbow this mania of posting everything to the internet to be immediately and exponentially exagerrated as an achievement is the main problem.
The kinds of people that do this kind of thing on the internet are emotionally needy, insecure individuals who need to learn that everything one does in life does not need the immediate approval of other emotionally needy, insecure individuals to validate it. People need to learn how to use a personal filter when using social media and that to me is more of an issue than the killing of a noxious environmental pest.

There are fleets, platoons, squadrons of anonymous teabaggers, PETA freaks and other liquorice allsorts online just searching for the next moral outrage to blow out of proportion and post a contrary view.
I'm reminded of Monty Python's "Is this the right room for an argument?"sketch...
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

TheCommodore

Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:23 am

I honestly think many of them care more about the animals than they do other humans.

I care about animals a lot, and when I say a lot, I mean a lot.

And I can readily understand why some people do care more about animals than other human beings. After all, we humans are the ones continuing starting wars and killing others, day after day after day, and year after year, and all in the name of peace.

Animals don't behave like that.

They love unconditionally.

In my world, humans come first.

Unfortunately though, we (humans) have shown time and time again human life is worth nothing.

Throw the book at the silly bitch. and keep her the hell away from ANY animal forever.

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 22):
The issue is that she showed little compassion for that animal and indeed gloated and bragged over it's death (even with the use of ironic humour as it was), so what is to say she won't treat her (paying) customer's pets with the same kind of compassion.

And that makes her one VERY sick person indeed.

To find it humours is abhorrent indeed.

[Edited 2015-04-23 20:24:38]
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

ElanusNotatus

Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:46 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 23):

I have a large garden that attracts many species of birds. It is a delight to watch them nesting and feeding. What isn't so pleasant is all the neighbours' cats that view it as an opportunity to stalk and kill just for the sake if it.

I am not talking feral animals but those well-fed house cats whose "owners" claim that they would never "hurt a fly". Well it may be true that "Sam", "Midnight" or "Here Puss" wouldn't hurt a fly but they certainly delight in leaving the remains of birds in a heap. After all, what else have pampered cats that are bored out of their brains to do but practice their stalking skills? They aren't killing for food but for pleasure.

Loving unconditionally is not something that I associate with instinctive killers.
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

L-188

Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:50 am

You have never seen a brown bear move 5 yards of dirt to get at one ground squirrel

TheCommodore

Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:38 am

Quoting ElanusNotatus (Reply 24):
What isn't so pleasant is all the neighbours' cats that view it as an opportunity to stalk and kill just for the sake if it.
They aren't killing for food but for pleasure.

They are not killing for the sake of it, its there nature to hunt and prey on other animals like mice and rats and birds etc.

After all, what else have pampered cats that are bored out of their brains to do but practice their stalking skills? They aren't killing for food but for pleasure.

Its got nothing to do with being "bored" or well pampered, its in their nature to hunt and kill

What is ridiculous is the fact the we humans, think there is something wrong with that.

Loving unconditionally is not something that I associate with instinctive killers.

Plenty of people think differently.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 25):
You have never seen a brown bear move 5 yards of dirt to get at one ground squirrel

Im talking about humans that get a kick out of, and get some sort of weird pleasure in killing animals, wreathe they are feral or otherwise.
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

LAX772LR

Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:25 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 25):

Doesn't contradict what he said...... they LOVE ground squirrel  

CPH-R

Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:18 am

I'm not so sure about that when it comes to cats  

TheCommodore

Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:19 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 28):
I'm not so sure about that when it comes to cats  

Well you are right, they are mighty independent

Kiwirob

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:22 am

What a load of rubbish, the best way to deal with a ferral population is to kill them all, stopping them from breading is a long term solution, a neutered cat still decimates populations of birds. Also how do you stop domestic toms mating with wild females, you can't. Killing them is the best way.

Quoting stratosphere (Reply 4):
But still and all even a stray/feral doesnt deserve this.

Why it's a quick death.

I am not talking feral animals but those well-fed house cats whose "owners" claim that they would never "hurt a fly". Well it may be true that "Sam", "Midnight" or "Here Puss" wouldn't hurt a fly but they certainly delight in leaving the remains of birds in a heap. After all, what else have pampered cats that are bored out of their brains to do but practice their stalking skills? They aren't killing for food but for pleasure.

One of my uncle's has a farm, it's now semi enclosed by suburbs, he's constantly shooting dogs and cats, dogs worry sheep and cats go after his chickens, so he shoots them. Most are domestic animals not ferral, there isn't a damn thing the owners can do about it.

aerorobnz

Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:30 am

And that makes her one VERY sick person indeed.

I didn't find it funny. However I can accept that her statement MAY have been intended ironically even if nobody interpreted as such.
Same way as I can see why some people are outraged about printed cartoons of Mohammed even if I don't see the problem with it . People interpret stuff differently and some people are hard-wired that way
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

bgm

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:01 pm

Even if she's not stripped of her license, I doubt any veterinarian center will hire her anytime soon. Would you want her to treat your pet?   
If you hate wearing a mask, you’re really going to hate using a ventilator.

fr8mech

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:18 pm

Quoting bgm (Reply 32):
Even if she's not stripped of her license, I doubt any veterinarian center will hire her anytime soon. Would you want her to treat your pet?

Yeah, actually, I would. If she is a competent doctor, I see no issue. In fact, given her current situation, some practice may be able to hire her at a salary below the current prevailing rate.

She made a stupid mistake. One she is not likely to forget or repeat.

I thought we were supposed to be about forgive and forget? Or, is that just for ***insert your favorite aggrieved group here*** ?

L-188

Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:24 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 26):
Im talking about humans that get a kick out of, and get some sort of weird pleasure in killing animals

There are animals that kill for pleasure too.

bgm

Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:35 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 28):
Yeah, actually, I would. If she is a competent doctor, I see no issue. In fact, given her current situation, some practice may be able to hire her at a salary below the current prevailing rate.

You're missing the point: she's damaged goods. Even if she is qualified, she has a horrible reputation within the community and most folks probably aren't going to use her services.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 29):

Such as?

Oh, you should probably see a doctor, because:

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER

You seem to have a bad case of amnesia, specifically January 20, 2001 – January 20, 2009. Better get that checked out.   

fr8mech

Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:08 pm

Quoting bgm (Reply 30):
You're missing the point: she's damaged goods. Even if she is qualified, she has a horrible reputation within the community and most folks probably aren't going to use her services.

No, i understand the point. But, after the dust settles, she should be able to return to some level of anonymity, assuming some animal rights crusader doesn't decide she needs to be stalked and exposed everywhere she goes.

Reading dome of the posts here, I guess there are a couple of people who would take up that cause.

I wonder if that kind of stalking would be actionable in court?

bgm

Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:34 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 31):
But, after the dust settles, she should be able to return to some level of anonymity,

Just like Monica, right?  
animal rights crusader doesn't decide she needs to be stalked and exposed everywhere she goes.

I don't think that'll be necessary, given that she exposed herself on FB quite well on her own.

How would you like it if this was *your* pet that she killed like this?

Sheriff seeks cruelty charge for Texas vet accused of killing cat:
http://kxan.com/2015/04/22/sheriff-s...-texas-vet-accused-of-killing-cat/

Tugger

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:27 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 20):
these are the same traits found in sociopaths

Was wondering when someone was going to bring that up. Compelling statement. Remorse doesn't seem to be at the top of her descriptive list.

Animals also do not have remorse, it is an expressly human trait as it requires a level of conscious thought that animals do not have. And remorse is dependent on how an person views the situation. I am sure that this woman now does have remorse... over posting it and her comments and that it was found and shared... etc. But remorse is varied in humans, probably as varied as the human experience is.

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 22):
I'm reminded of Monty Python's "Is this the right room for an argument?"sketch...

Q: WHAT DO YOU WANT?
M: Well, I was told outside that...
Q: Don't give me that, you snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings!
M: What?
Q: Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type really makes me puke, you vacuous, coffee-nosed, maloderous, pervert!!!
M: Look, I CAME HERE FOR AN ARGUMENT, I'm not going to just stand...!!
Q: OH, oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse.
M: Oh, I see, well, that explains it.

They do other things "unconditionally" as well but many things they do with humans are "conditioned" ergo conditional. In particular what you are referring to. Try completely ignoring your animal when you first get them and don't feed them (regularly at least). I guarantee you will find out just how conditional their affections are. If you love them and treat in certain ways they will respond in kind, but this does not demonstrate "unconditional". Things they do "unconditionally" are often times things we humans discourage (where they poop for instance or for dogs when they bark, etc.).

I love my animals and treat them accordingly but I guarantee my love has conditions and it has to. I have kids and they come first, no animal had better create an issue there (and yes the children of course need to treat the animals properly). It is the saddest thing when a pet does something that is quite "natural" and you must do something drastic such as remove it from your home. They just don't have a clue as to why, they can't understand (which is why we work hard to condition them to be able to live with us). I fortunately have not had that happen personally, but I have seen it happen with friends. Horribly sad for the entire family.

Unfortunately though, we (humans) have shown time and time again human life is worth nothing.

Throw the book at the silly bitch. and keep her the hell away from ANY animal forever.

So you think her life is worth nothing as well? Well you are human so I guess per your statement I understand.

I will say this about life: it is cheap. It is easy under the current conditions on earth. That is the truth, there are more and more humans every day. The amazing thing is that the vast majority do value life and life beyond their families and friends. That is an amazing fact. Yes there are also many that live under the view my initial statement, but that is not the majority of humans (I need to add the caveat of *at the one I meet and know and live around).

If I am killed, overall humanity is not going to be greatly affected, the same goes for most of us. That is the truth. We value life because we are taught to, because we have the ability to learn and understand how that affects each and everyone of us personally. That is not something that animals have, they will kill when they need to without compunction. On instinct, not some careful thinking and consideration. They will not suffer regret. Only humans do that (* yes I realize there may be one or two other species on this planet that *may* have consciousness but we do not know and have not confirmed that, so I am making a broad general statement reflecting what this topic is addressing).

They are not killing for the sake of it, its there nature to hunt and prey on other animals like mice and rats and birds etc.

Its got nothing to do with being "bored" or well pampered, its in their nature to hunt and kill

What is ridiculous is the fact the we humans, think there is something wrong with that.

You do know that it is also part of human nature to hunt and kill don't you? We have intelligence of course and by that manage it now but it is a very strong impulse. Many people still hunt and that is OK to me, I am not a huge fan of it but many who hunt do so with great respect and even "love" of the animals they are pursuing (those that do not I in general do not respect or condone). I am also OK with killing a stray animal (wild, feral etc.) though that is not my first choice. I honestly think one issue here is doing this where a bystander could have been injured if she had missed. We do not allow range weapons to be used in communities expressly because of this.

Quoting bgm (Reply 30):
Such as?

Well cats seems to take quite innocent pleasure from playing with critter until they die, and they seem quite intent on it sometimes. But I suspect there isn't "thought" behind it. Pleasure from the actions leading up to the death but the intent is not a "human" version of intent.

No, i understand the point. But, after the dust settles, she should be able to return to some level of anonymity,

Hopefuly with some real level of "lesson learned". But I am not the human ideals police, I can't force a change on her, just encourage her to and hope that with this societal pressure she does learn and change. We learn through our mistakes and failure as much if not more than we learn through our successes.

Quoting bgm (Reply 32):

I wouldn't like it, not at all. I would even hate her and think she is a vile person for doing it. But I would not want EVERYONE to think that way. I would want her gone and to "pay" something for what she did, but not forever, not to be branded forever. Even if I never forgave her.

And finally, I think what she did is repugnant and stupid and was completely unnecessary. By her post we can all see she did in fact enjoy it. With all I have said above I find it important for humans to strive to have a high ideal as to how we conduct our lives, she certainly does not meet that standard for me. I know many hunters though that do. I also know pet owners that do not truly care for their pets and would put them on a similar level as this woman, even though they purport to "love animals". That someone kills animals does not make them bad, that someone "love animals" does not make them good.

In this case I think this woman deserves much of what she is getting, I just think we tend now go overboard on our condemnation and desire to permanently punish someone for the errors (big as some may be) they make in their lives. We all make terrible errors at one time or another, and for most we need to be able to progress on from them (yes, of course there are some that society does not allow this).

Tugg

[Edited 2015-04-24 15:48:09]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

LAX772LR

Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:13 pm

....such as _______?

aerorobnz

Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:35 am

Orcas and Chimpanzees for two. Orcas love to play with their victims. They chuck seals up in the air and play with the corpses. Chimpanzees kill other chimpanzees for no other reason than they don't 'like' the other individual.

fr8mech

Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:37 am

Quoting bgm (Reply 32):

I wouldn't like it one bit, but I do my damnedest to ensure that my pets, both dogs, are inside my fence line or leashed. They are not allowed to wander the neighborhood.

I take responsibility for my pets.

Quoting bgm (Reply 32):
Just like Monica, right?

You keep bringing up politics, why?

LAX772LR

Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:46 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 35):
Orcas love to play with their victims. They chuck seals up in the air

Yes they do, but 1) the seals survive more often than not, and 2) Orcas eventually not only let them go if they're not intent on eating them, but have even been known to assist them in returning from the spot from which they were plucked.

N1120A

Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:58 am

Veterinarians take an oath, much like the ones that human doctors take. This disgusting excuse for a person violated that oath. She should never, ever be allowed around animals again. This is worse than Michael Vick.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

planewasted

Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:54 am

What's so terrible about a cat getting hunted down? That cat have done the same thing to numerous of birds. Think of how many birds this veterinarian saved. Isn't being a vet about saving animals?

And...isn't the veterinarian kind of hot?  

LAX772LR

Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:55 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 38):
This is worse than Michael Vick.

....but but but, she's a pretty white chick, so of course it's not as bad as Michael Vick.  

CPH-R

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:23 am

I guess my previous post got lost in the tubes, so here goes again: I may have missed it, but was there anything that suggested she had tried to identify if the cat was actually feral or an outdoor tame?

Because if it had been feral, just getting close to it would have been a pretty big challenge, not to mention it wouldn't have wanted to hang around for long afterwards.

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:41 pm

somebody already posted that she caught the cat in a trap, ( photo shows the cat missing a leg.) Then she shot the cat through the head with a arrow.

even though the sheriff dept is looking into animal cruelty charges, all she has to say is that she was putting the cat out of it's misery after finding the cat alive in the trap.

since the sheriff office is taking so long. they probably figure that out.

Aesma

Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:35 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 15):
I'm not a hunter myself, but I certainly don't think that all hunters are sociopaths.

But is hunting about killing animals ? I doubt it, or you would just as well get live animals in cages/traps and shoot at them. Which is what she did.

Furthermore, she's a vet. Part of her job is to end the lives of animals (sick ones, usually, or feral ones in some cases), but she should certainly not be enjoying it !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

larshjort

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:09 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 43):
Furthermore, she's a vet. Part of her job is to end the lives of animals (sick ones, usually, or feral ones in some cases), but she should certainly not be enjoying it !

And she shouldn't be doing it by shooting it in the head with an arrow.

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

Kiwirob

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:26 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 38):
Veterinarians take an oath, much like the ones that human doctors take. This disgusting excuse for a person violated that oath.

I doubt the cat suffered at all, I'm pretty sure a crossbow bolt through the brain was a very quick death, the only stupid thing she did was post it to facebook, for all the numpties to complain about. I don't see how she violated her oath, she didn't torture it, or dismember it whilst it was still alive.

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:28 pm

I just found here blog from 2011.

http://wyogirl-kristenlindsey.blogspot.com/2011_02_01_archive.html

Current interests: Living my days to the fullest, finding the meaning of happiness,

( killing things or trying to kill things animals),

a full glass of whiskey, hangovers, etc), my friends (both near and far), spending time with my dad, the outdoors in general, fly fishing on Shell Creek until it's too dark to see, hunting with my dad and better yet...learning from my dad as we hunt, a good down-pour in the high country followed by great fishing, the smell of the mountains after a good rain and the smell of rain in general.

maybe i am overreacting. i don't know. she's seems normal until she writes that sentence.

why not say she's a avid hunter or enjoys fishing. No she purposely wants everybody to know that she enjoys killing or trying to kill things. she's a predator who got a job so that she could kill things. much like a person who's into kids gets a job so that they can be around children.

I don't know. I am now back pedaling. and want her licenses yanked.

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:41 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 37):
the seals survive more often than not

And when they don't, wouldn't you classify that as having killed for the fun of it?

Take away the "it's an animal" side of it - what if these were people?

Any cat owner can tell you when your cat presents you with a dead (insert small animal here) it's not based on the need for food, self-defense, etc.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

N1120A

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:11 am

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 45):
I doubt the cat suffered at all,

Who cares? That cat had a life to live. Should we start shooting homeless people?

I don't see how she violated her oath, she didn't torture it, or dismember it whilst it was still alive.

She murdered the poor thing, which was doing absolutely NOTHING to anybody.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

L-188

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:16 am

Quoting Larshjort (Reply 44):
And she shouldn't be doing it by shooting it in the head with an arrow.

Gassing or Poisoning it is so much better?

I'm pretty sure a crossbow bolt through the brain was a very quick death

Undoubtedly. The animal didn't suffer.

the only stupid thing she did was post it to facebook, for all the numpties to complain about

Agreed, Unfortunately with the suburban pansies the US has been raising for the last sixty years I am not surprised this got blown out of proportion.

Quoting Larshjort (Reply 44):
. I don't see how she violated her oath, she didn't torture it, or dismember it whilst it was still alive.

She also didn't violate any laws as far as I can tell.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 47):
Any cat owner can tell you when your cat presents you with a dead (insert small animal here) it's not based on the need for food, self-defense, etc.

My dad had a cat that used to do that.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 48):
That cat had a life to live.

It had already burned through the other eight then?