Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mike89406
Topic Author

Upcoming Job Interview

Wed May 06, 2015 11:07 pm

I have a job interview with Delta as a ramp agent on Friday and was curious what to expect and not to sound redundant but should i wear a suit and tie? Not that I don't plan on doing so but just to be sure not to overdress.

Secondly, what are the working conditions like and did enjoy that particular job?

Mike

FriscoHeavy

RE: Upcoming Job Interview

Thu May 07, 2015 2:17 am

Son, dress for success. Wear a suit and stand out above the rest of the interviewees. Today's society has gotten too lax with the way they dress. Take pride in looking good amd go nail the interview. Let us know how it goes.
Whatever

Ken777

Thu May 07, 2015 2:46 am

And take a bit of time to read up on Delta so that you appear interested in, and knowledgeable about the company. What is a bit of their history? What planes are they flying and what do they have on order? Where do they fly to for most of their business and what about the other companies in their alliance? How has their stock done over the past few years? What is the name of their CEO and where are their headquarters?

Good luck on the interview!

Mike89406
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2015 9:42 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 1):

Thanks, I will.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 2):

Good info. I read on glassdoor.com that sometimes they ask you how aircraft in their fleet.

Providing I get the job will they send me off to training? It's listed as a part-time position how many hours do you average a week and what are the shifts like?

Mike

flyingturtle

Thu May 07, 2015 10:18 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Thread starter):
but should i wear a suit and tie?

As a ramp agent?

I'd expect somebody interviewing as a ramp agent, but not a upper scale bean counter. I would look at how actual ramp agents are dressed when they go to work (or come home), and then dress a bit better. First and foremost, the clothing should show that it is a special day for you, and you should feel comfortable wearing it.

I wore a tie once in my entire life (yes) and I don't expect to present myself well in a suit and with a tie. I would just feel weird, out of place.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 2):

Good advice. I'd add to that:

- Take enough time. Come half an hour early, and ask somebody where the toilet is. This also allows you to wander around a bit, and let your thoughts settle. Then, five minutes before the date say that you're ready.
- Look at your major job-related weaknesses (there will always be some - nobody is perfect), and try to find answers that genuinely show how you've improved since, and why you're confident that you'll do well in the job. But only refer to the weaknesses when asked about them.
- Always take some time to think about a clear answer. Ask if a question (and its ramifications) are not clear to you.
- Show conviction. Not something like "I wonder if it is possible to work part-time...", no "How much holidays do I have after three years of work?"
- The interviewer knows you're under pressure. His job is not making that pressure any larger - his job is getting a good sense about you and your abilities. If you're invited to an interview, something is pretty clear: Based on your application, your CV and your previous experience, you're qualified to take the job. The interview just allows the company to learn about your personality and your manners, and thus make the final decision on who to employ.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

bluejuice

Thu May 07, 2015 11:38 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 4):
- Take enough time. Come half an hour early, and ask somebody where the toilet is. This also allows you to wander around a bit, and let your thoughts settle. Then, five minutes before the date say that you're ready.

Overall good advice but I would advise against setting foot onsite 30 minutes early. Arrive early and when you are 100% sure you are at the correct location, wait in your car. Be at the reception area 10 - 15 minutes before your scheduled interview time. Too early can cause awkwardness as interviews are often staggered to avoid candidates applying for the same job from meeting. Arriving too early will cause the HR team extra work accommodating you. Wandering around 30 minutes is awkward for everyone.
Not biased against vacuum flush.

FriscoHeavy

Thu May 07, 2015 11:38 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 4):
I'd expect somebody interviewing as a ramp agent, but not a upper scale bean counter. I would look at how actual ramp agents are dressed when they go to work (or come home), and then dress a bit better. First and foremost, the clothing should show that it is a special day for you, and you should feel comfortable wearing it.

I wore a tie once in my entire life (yes) and I don't expect to present myself well in a suit and with a tie. I would just feel weird, out of place.

I agree with the 2nd part of the statement in how to conduct yourself in the interview; however, please don't follow the advice of looking just a little better than the ramp agents when they arrive and go home from work. That is fundamentally wrong for an interview, especially with a major airline. Do the right thing and wear a suit AND tie, nice belt and polished shoes. Look your best and stand out from the rest of the bozos interviewing.

If I were in charge of hiring and one person came in a suit, while the other in less dressy attire, guess who is getting hired..the one dressed to impress. It shows that you care about your appearance and are well organized/put together for the most part. Then, as David basically mentioned, let your resume speak for itself.

Chris
Whatever

gocaps16

Fri May 08, 2015 4:28 am

I would be clueless too since I had never had a civilian job but with 13 years in the Navy civilian life can be tough, so I heard. Did you apply for Delta at TGPS class before your retirement, I assume? With someone with a B.S Degree, military experience, and an Aircraft Mechanic, (ADs the best rate in the Navy ) I would assume perhaps something better or Delta doesn't have any technical positions available right now? I know a few Ex-Navy A&P mechs currently at Delta.

Good luck!!!

flyingturtle

Fri May 08, 2015 7:21 am

Quoting bluejuice (Reply 5):
advise against setting foot onsite 30 minutes early. Arrive early and when you are 100% sure you are at the correct location, wait in your car.

Okay, what I wanted to say was something along the lines of: Have enough time to find the correct location, and ask about the toilet - and mention that you're here for an interview (they don't let strangers use their facilities). Nothing worse than having the urgent need to pee when you only have 10 minutes left. Or if you're sweaty...

Well, I don't have a car. Where should I wait? Possibly outdoors if the weather allows. Where I can drink a Coke 0 while waiting.

"Good morning, I'm here for a job interview, and I just don't want to hurry. May I ask you where the toilet is, and where I can wait for the interview?"

Just somewhere near the entrance, but not where the actual interview is, so you won't run into your competitor for the job. Get to know the building, so it doesn't make such a fearsome impression. (I did that with exams at university, locating the lecture halls where we wrote the exams the day before.)

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 6):

I've just taken a course on career development, how to apply for jobs, and how to prepare job interviews. I don't know how it is in 'Murrica, but they strongly advised against overdressing and wearing something you aren't used to. The kind of clothing should address the company (e.g. a suit for a bank, a well-fitting and nice sweater when applying as a nurse, and as a plumber, it is even more relaxed). It should not differ much from what you'd usually wear on that very job (the obvious exception being blue overalls as a aircraft mechanic, for example).

Applying for jobs here and in the US is different, I know. Here, you don't get anywhere without appropriate diplomas and certificates, while that is more relaxed in the US.

David

flyingturtle

Fri May 08, 2015 7:29 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 8):
so you won't run into your competitor for the job

(I wanted to add: My father's father once did that... he once travelled by train, and in his compartment was another man who also wore a beret on his head. Who also read the NZZ newspaper on the travel. Who was applying to the very same job at the Swiss equivalent of the IRS, and had the job interview the same day. My grandpa did get the job, and they enjoyed a life-long friendship. Both had the same first name (Jean and Hans, in French respectively German). My grandfather then attended his funeral...

Years later... I found out the boyfriend of a good friend of mine is the grand-son of that competitor. I only learned when I visited them in eastern Switzerland, and his mother asked me if my name was really written like that... yes. Then I wrote to my grandfather about this chance encounter, and he thought it incredible.

David)

Mike89406
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2015 8:20 pm

Hello everyone I got the job under a conditional offer. Found out it's under the Alaska Air contract but we get Delta benefits. Took my urinalysis as well and I start on Monday at SAN.

bluejuice

Fri May 08, 2015 8:26 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 10):

Hello everyone I got the job under a conditional offer. Found out it's under the Alaska Air contract but we get Delta benefits. Took my urinalysis as well and I start on Monday at SAN.

Congrats!!!
Not biased against vacuum flush.

flyingturtle

Fri May 08, 2015 9:58 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 10):

Wonderful!  

David

FriscoHeavy

Fri May 08, 2015 10:49 pm

Congrats boy. Happy for you. Really great that you get Delta benefits.. is that just flight benefits or Medical/Retirement benefits too?

What did you end up wearing!?
Whatever

Mike89406
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2015 11:18 pm

Quoting bluejuice (Reply 11):
Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 12):

Thanks!

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 13):

The interview was quick and dirty as there was two of us. It seemed as if we already had the job since she didn't prove us with questions. I did wear my best suit which is a charcoal gray color with white shirt, burgundy tie, and black Oxford toe cap shoes.

I'm sort of in shock not so much that I got the job but more so everything happened quickly. I may not have explained the benefits accurately but her exact words were the company DGS Delta Global Service us a subsidiary of Delta but under contract of Alaska Air for this position. The flight benefits are with Delta now I'm not sure if that makes me a Delta contract worker or Alaska worker. If Alaska then I assume perhaps I'm Union or not. We didn't have time to get into all of that.

Perhaps someone with knowledge of the industry can shed some light on some of those details. When I report Monday we'll get employee handbooks, fill out forms for our SIDA badges, homeland security etc... She said the training is done locally at SAN.

Mike

FriscoHeavy

Fri May 08, 2015 11:29 pm

Well that's fantastic news.
Whatever

Mike89406
Topic Author

Sat May 09, 2015 5:39 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 15):

Mike89406 From United States of America, joined Mar 2007, 1521 posts, RR: 3
Posted Wed May 6 2015 16:07:55 your local time (2 days 18 hours 29 minutes ago) and read 512 times:

Thanks, I'm excited.

Mike89406
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2015 5:35 am

I received a e-mail from a headhunter for EADS Airbus in Riyadh for an additional services manager. I don't know what to think at the moment however I imagine it must pay good and is tax free perhaps. Anyways it seems after I accepted the ramp job I've had several callbacks for job interviews and the management position I've wanted at Lindbergh Field posted an opening.

That said the new job offer w Alaska I filled out paperwork and was told I'll be called to start ramp training on a week or two. I'm not sure when I officially start working.

Quoting gocaps16 (Reply 7):

I decided after 20 years I didn't want to be an aircraft mechanic for the rest of my life. My last tour I was the equivalent of an air operations manager at an Naval Air Base and want to become an airport operations manager working for San Diego Int'l Airport.

[Edited 2015-05-17 22:41:50]

FriscoHeavy

Mon May 18, 2015 3:07 pm

Go after the job you want (in this case the management position at SAN). You need to do what's best for you and unfortunately, that sometimes means burning bridges.

I once accepted a position and was scheduled to start on a Monday. The Friday before I started, I received a better job offer elsewhere and had to call 3 days before I started the original job to tell them I wouldn't be taking it. No matter how nice I was about informing the employer I could no longer accept the position, the fact is I burned a bridge, but I made the right decision.
Whatever

Tugger

Mon May 18, 2015 5:25 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 18):
Go after the job you want (in this case the management position at SAN). You need to do what's best for you and unfortunately, that sometimes means burning bridges.

I once accepted a position and was scheduled to start on a Monday. The Friday before I started, I received a better job offer elsewhere and had to call 3 days before I started the original job to tell them I wouldn't be taking it. No matter how nice I was about informing the employer I could no longer accept the position, the fact is I burned a bridge, but I made the right decision.

Yes, there are job decisions and career decisions. This is one of those situations and in general a career should come before a job. Sometimes that varies a bit but look long term to want you really want to be doing in ten years and which presents the best path to that!

Good luck, these are the good kind of problems to have.  

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Mike89406
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2015 7:44 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 18):

I submitted the necessary background check paperwork for the airline job and its the waiting game and I don't know how long it'll take before they call me back.
I did apply for the airport job as an airport operations assistant last night and checked the status online this morning. Normally these jobs are competitive and have on average 200 +/- applicants for one position. To my surprise I passed the HR minimum qualification screening and now that means i should be in the eligible list for the recruiting process. That could mean i need to take some kind of test and/or just interview... not really sure with this kind of job.

Quoting Tugger (Reply 19):

Quite right if i get the airport job it's a career decision, If not the airline is a job decision.

gocaps16

Mon May 25, 2015 4:53 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 17):
I decided after 20 years I didn't want to be an aircraft mechanic for the rest of my life. My last tour I was the equivalent of an air operations manager at an Naval Air Base and want to become an airport operations manager working for San Diego Int'l Airport.

I thought about that years ago. I retire in 7 years at 38 years old. The only way I will accept a government position if I am getting 6 figure salary as a contractor with an aviation manufacturer company. I know an NDI tech who retired and now is working at NAS Kingsville making $100,000+/year. Not bad I say. Still, not my kind of work anymore. At that time, I'd probably be flying for Compass Airlines or retire out in Japan with the family working for NAVFAC or somewhere.

[Edited 2015-05-25 09:56:12]