I see this thinking a lot with Republicans but I side with Obama on this one big time. The Positive Train or Track Control device has long been installed elsewhere yet in the US they were given 7 years to install it because they didn't want to spend money faster to speed up installations. There is no technological wizardry here.
Joe Biden is the VP
and rode Amtrak to and from the Senate 5 days a week for 25+ years. The lack of funding is strictly a Republican issue.
|Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 75):|
Federal funding for Amtrak should be slashed - indeed it should be cut entirely. It's beneficiaries are almost entirely in one region of the country. It should go away, along with federal subsidies for tiny airports etc.I love rail transportation. I spent much of my life in Switzerland - where we had one of the best rail networks in the world. But that works because of the high population density, which you simply do not have in the US.
Totally false statement, again based on ignorance and lack of knowledge of Rail. There are several facts you and the red states apparently don't know or choose to ignore:
1) Amtrak shares rail with Commercial operators such as CSX. Failure to subsidize rail, maintain efficiencies and ensure safety hurts interstate commerce and international commerce for goods traveling to/from port.
2) Inefficient, unreliable rails leads to cargo being sent on Truck increasing the cost of exporting goods and hurting the entire US economy as well as creating highway congestion. Same issue for people movers, more people will drive if adequate rail is not provided.
3) Funding separate passenger rails will increase throughput and speed on commercial rail while increasing Amtrak's speed, safety and reliability
4) #2 leads to more gasoline use and imports of oil from "baddies" like Muslim countries & Venezuela. CSX uses 1 Gallon of diesel to move 1 ton of freight 225 miles. Trucks and cars don't even come close to that metric.
5) The constitution clearly gives the Federal Government purview over interstate commerce via the Commerce Clause. There is nothing, literally nothing more intrinsically more related to interstate commerce than America's rails. Republicans have totally abdicated the explicit role given to the Feds in the constitution
Just look at CSX's rail map. Its basically the same as Amtraks on the East Coast: http://www.csx.com/index.cfm/customers/maps/csx-system-map/
We all know the Federal Government subsidizes the Roads, Ports and Airport and Bridges. There is 0 reason whatsoever for them not to subsidize a safe, less polluting, more reliable mode of transportation.