Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MCO2BRS
Topic Author

Facebook Name Policy

Tue May 19, 2015 8:36 pm

I've never had my full legal name on Facebook, its not something I want out there for all the world to search for. I've always had my privacy settings locked down to the point where you can only find my page if I search you out and add you.

Yesterday I fell victim to their new policy where you're required to have your full legal name, I knew this would come eventually, but I was at least expecting an opportunity to change the name. Instead, I was asked if I wanted to change the name, I indicated yes, and then was asked to upload a picture of my driving licence/passport or some other form of government issued ID. I'm seriously loathed to allow facebook a copy of anything like that, but I relented and provided a picture of my driving licence. At that point an on screen message said "Thanks for that, if we need anything more we'll contact you". And just like that my account was disabled by Facebook.

I've tried searching the FB help site, I've tried reaching out to them on Twitter, but I just go around in circles, or have no reply. They haven't provided me with any sort of avenue to follow up the matter with them.

Has anyone had this happen to them? I don't even know if the process has gone properly, or if an error has happened and I'm now stuck in limbo somewhere.

If nothing else, and you don't have your legal name listed on FB, make sure you change it before this happens to you!

KaiGywer

RE: Facebook Name Policy

Tue May 19, 2015 8:53 pm

I've never heard of anything like this. Sure you didn't get hit by an identity theft scam?

ArmitageShanks

Tue May 19, 2015 9:06 pm

This sounds very sketchy. Surely this is not a real thing?

flanker

Tue May 19, 2015 9:33 pm

Fb does require those documents to change names after you've used other false ones.

oly720man

Tue May 19, 2015 11:01 pm

Seems to have been happening for a while and pissing people off for a while

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130122184803AAy4wrR

And it is real.

http://www.facebook.com/help/385569904840341/

fr8mech

Wed May 20, 2015 1:40 am

I'm pretty darned sure that if this happened to me, Facebook would be gone from my life.

IMissPiedmont

Wed May 20, 2015 6:03 am

Yep, I changed my name because I just don't want people to be able to just look me up. If I want to interact with them, they will know. And the same thing happened to me. I just opened a new account with a false name and they have no way of knowing it is np not real. Point being, once you sign up, do not change your name.

LAX772LR

Wed May 20, 2015 6:58 am

Facebook has no power beyond that which you give to it.

If you don't want people seeing certain pictures, or seeing you write certain things; then don't post them, or write about them. Treat anything you put on Facebook, as if you were airing it on the news... because you essentially are.

People make a mountain out of a mole-hill, but it's really just that simple.

mad99

Wed May 20, 2015 10:18 am

I would not give them so much info.

I don't have facebook (its for old people) but I recently had to get a new ESTA to travel to the usa. The official page has a series of questions like passport number dob etc but the link i was sent to fill out by the secretary was not official but looked very similar. The page asks for everything! mother's maiden name, work details and history and asks for a scanned copy of your passport.

Some of these pages are legal and pass through the info to ESTA but who knows what they do with the rest.

I've seen two pages like these and they look exactly like the real one

oly720man

Wed May 20, 2015 11:15 am

Quoting mad99 (Reply 9):
they look exactly like the real one

Until you get to the price at the end and find that the real one is considerably cheaper.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu May 21, 2015 1:38 pm

Could it be that someone had reported your FB account as fake?

I have not encountered this on my 2nd account (which I use for work, hence I used a pseudonym)

GIANCAVIA

Thu May 21, 2015 2:50 pm

Take it as a sign and save yourself from the stalker database of drama and popularity contests. Nothing good comes from FB.

tommy1808

Thu May 21, 2015 3:43 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 5):

I'm pretty darned sure that if this happened to me, Facebook would be gone from my life.

well, if just one of your friends uses the mobile app and looks for contacts Facebook has your name anyways.

best regards
Thomas

IMissPiedmont

Fri May 22, 2015 1:27 am

This happens any time you change your name. Just make up a name and leave it alone. The only thing facebook is good for is keeping in touch with members of my family. It's also slightly useful to piss of jesus freaks and people who think Fox News is real.

bunumuring

Tue May 26, 2015 1:20 pm

Or simply don't have Facebook.
I'm not a Luddite, and I have instagram and so on, but Facebook leaves me cold especially when I see how some friends and family members seem to live their lives through a Facebook 'portal', lol. I keep getting told to sign up but I refuse.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

GIANCAVIA

Wed May 27, 2015 12:24 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 14):
Or simply don't have Facebook.
I'm not a Luddite, and I have instagram and so on, but Facebook leaves me cold especially when I see how some friends and family members seem to live their lives through a Facebook 'portal', lol. I keep getting told to sign up but I refuse.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

I just dont see the point in any of it. "Shared a pic, got a thumbs up" "wrote a comment, got a thumbs up." Who gives a crap, The next day that picture and its irrelevant 2 thumbs up are buried in history with ten bazillion other ones of said person in the mirror that nobody will ever look at again. I just dont get any of those social media sites. Drama, baby pictures and endless cringe worthy memes. No idea how it doesnt make people hate their "friends" after one week.

PHX787

Thu May 28, 2015 6:44 am

I changed my name once on FB because I was falling victim to persistent hacks. I'm not going into personal detail, but since I changed my FB name, the hacking has ceased. Obviously me as a person was being targeted for some reason.

I've changed my name to a complete pseudonym and i have not had any issue from Facebook. I am however weary of their policy. FB has horrid privacy rights, and using my pseudonym allows my privacy as a person.