Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DocLightning
Topic Author

A "rant About Other People's Driving" Thread

Fri May 22, 2015 11:15 pm

Because sometimes, deep breathing and calming exercises just aren't enough.

I'll start with this gem:
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/wo...eople-were-failing-instructors-say

No point in reading the above link, really. Basically my fair use quote sums up the whole article:

Quote:
...Maryland has announced that demonstrating an ability to parallel park — an impossible skill to master for a lot of motorists — is no longer a requirement for getting a driver’s license in the state.

I can't. I can't with the Toyota Siennas doing 55MPH in the left lane. I can't with the people who take so long to get through an intersection from a stop that the light is changing by the time they hit the other side. I can't with the 25mph down an on-ramp. And now, Maryland is making the test easier to pass.

Go ahead. Rant away. You know you want to.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

seb146

RE: A "rant About Other People's Driving" Thread

Fri May 22, 2015 11:55 pm

I learned to drive in a state where a yellow light means "stop because the other guy is going in a second!" Here it means pretty much the same thing as green. Even the first seconds of a red means the same thing as green. I honk at idiots who run reds but they either ignore me or give me the finger. You know, because I am doing something wrong. I know I live in California where the red light running driver is way more important but I have things to do, too!

Parallel parking is something to be done for side streets. Even that does not happen much anymore. I wish people would learn to watch when they back out of a spot and realize that one car fits between two lines.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

BMI727

Sat May 23, 2015 12:06 am

Quoting DocLightning (Thread starter):

You're wrong and I'll tell you why. You unwittingly hit on it yourself.

Jalopnik had an article on this the other day and the point was summed up by a driving instructor who agreed with the law, pointing out that nobody dies from not being able to parallel park.

It's not worth evaluation time to test nor is it worth instruction time to teach a skill that isn't used that often and is not dangerous to not have. Driver training should be about mitigating the most risk as quickly as possible. It is most important that new drivers be taught what they need to know to not kill themselves or anyone else.

I can't with the Toyota Siennas doing 55MPH in the left lane. I can't with the people who take so long to get through an intersection from a stop that the light is changing by the time they hit the other side. I can't with the 25mph down an on-ramp.

Maybe people would be a little better at that if they didn't have to waste time on learning to parallel park.

For what it's worth, cops should stop ticketing speeders and start ticketing left lane cruisers. Everyone would be safer and they'd make more money anyway.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

910A

Sat May 23, 2015 12:27 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 2):
For what it's worth, cops should stop ticketing speeders and start ticketing left lane cruisers. Everyone would be safer and they'd make more money anyway.

For what it is worth, in California, the Highway Patrol gets exactly $0 dollars from a citation.

I can't with the Toyota Siennas doing 55MPH in the left lane

On the Bay Area freeways you're probably going to arrive at your destination about the same time if you're going 55 or 65.

fr8mech

Sat May 23, 2015 12:32 am

I learned to drive when touching the curb while parallel parking was an automatic failure...NYC, circa 1985. I still take pride in my ability to put any vehicle into any spot that is 12-14 inches longer than the vehicle.

pointing out that nobody dies from not being able to parallel park.

Really? Ever hold-up afternoon Mid-town traffic while trying fit into a spot that a fire truck could park in?  

I'll give you that.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Mir

Sat May 23, 2015 12:38 am

Jalopnik had an article on this the other day and the point was summed up by a driving instructor who agreed with the law, pointing out that nobody dies from not being able to parallel park.

Other people get delayed, and cars get damaged. If you don't know how to parallel park, you shouldn't be on the road. It's not that difficult.

It's not worth evaluation time to test nor is it worth instruction time to teach a skill that isn't used that often

Maybe if you live out in the boonies, but in even a small city parallel parking is a way of life. And since all states have cities in them, there's really no excuse for not holding people to that standard.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

DocLightning
Topic Author

Sat May 23, 2015 12:45 am

It's not worth evaluation time to test nor is it worth instruction time to teach a skill that isn't used that often and is not dangerous to not have.

I'm gonna disagree with you. Wouldn't be the first time.  

Parallel parking means that you wear your vehicle like a garment. You know where the bumpers are, you know where the wheels are, you know where the car is going. That all contributes to overall safety.

And at least on my street I have to parallel park every single day. Maryland has places where parallel parking is necessary.

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):
Other people get delayed, and cars get damaged. If you don't know how to parallel park, you shouldn't be on the road. It's not that difficult.

And that, too.

Quoting 910A (Reply 3):
On the Bay Area freeways you're probably going to arrive at your destination about the same time if you're going 55 or 65.

Here's the thing: I put my cruise control on 67, which cruises the car at 65. I have to stay in the left lane because I'm one of the fastest cars on the road. And I'm talking about light traffic. In SoCal I cruise in the right lane because the maniacs there cruise at 85.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

IMissPiedmont

Sat May 23, 2015 1:11 am

Interesting. I have to say that I have not seen a parallel parking space in over 20 years, except at the DMV testing office. As for the slow intersection acceleration, perhaps the timing of the light is too short, I don't mash down on my accelerator just to please someone behind me, if you are in such a hurry, leave earlier. My rant is the people that are always in a hurry to get somewhere when in reality, it's not that important to get there.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

casinterest

Sat May 23, 2015 1:25 am

Parallel parking is not a necessary skill to pass a drivers license. I have to parallel park once a year in NYC. It should not be a requirement where I live or where my kids live. If you live in NYC, then it should be a city based requirement. It is like cursive writing. A neat item that requires some skill, but no longer is required due to rear view cameras and self parking cars.

Skills taught in drivers eds and required for passing a test should include everyday skills of signaling, lane changing, and general straight in parking.

What I dislike , are hybrid drivers that do not accelerate quickly since they want to stay in electric mode longer, or who purposely drive 35 or less in a 45 to maintain electric use.

I also dislike drivers that ride in the left even as they are being passed on the right.
Where ever you go, there you are.

fr8mech

Sat May 23, 2015 1:44 am

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 7):
I have to say that I have not seen a parallel parking space in over 20 years,

Strange, I have to parallel park just about anytime I go into downtown Louisville or I when I have business in Norton Commons, a small, planned community where street parking for visitors is the norm.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 8):
but no longer is required due to rear view cameras

I have tried and tried to park using that thing and always revert to the mirrors. I can't do it.   

Quoting casinterest (Reply 8):
general straight in parking

It should be "back-in" parking. Much safer that way.

And, that is my first rant in this thread: people that try to back out into drive lanes that have limited or no ability to back and turn at the same time. Who are incapable of judging distances and haven't the faintest clue on how to use the freaking steering wheel to make the vehicle do what they want it to do. These are probably the same people that can't parallel park. These people should park far away from the civilized folks that can operate a vehicle in both directions.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

DocLightning
Topic Author

Sat May 23, 2015 1:47 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 9):
It should be "back-in" parking. Much safer that way.

Backing in blocks up the whole parking lot. NO.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

WarRI1

Sat May 23, 2015 2:11 am

People on cell phones and texting, maddening. Fines for texting completly ignored here.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

fr8mech

Sat May 23, 2015 2:12 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 10):
Backing in blocks up the whole parking lot. NO.

No more than backing out.

Backing in is also safer. You already know what's in the drive lane and the spot you just passed. In order to back out, you must enter a drive path that you do not have full view of.

WildcatYXU

Sat May 23, 2015 3:09 am

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 7):
As for the slow intersection acceleration, perhaps the timing of the light is too short, I don't mash down on my accelerator just to please someone behind me, if you are in such a hurry, leave earlier.

Your attitude is incredibly selfish. The road does not belong to you, so use it in the most efficient manner.
And just BTW, you're not saving anything with your sluggish acceleration. Your you're riding the torque converter while accelerating slowly. So you're wasting fuel and time.

PS: Your car won't flip over if you're turning at an intersection faster than 10 mph.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

StarAC17

Sat May 23, 2015 3:15 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 1):
I learned to drive in a state where a yellow light means "stop because the other guy is going in a second!" Here it means pretty much the same thing as green

I don't know what is going on in the US in terms of Auto insurance, but in Canada they have piloted these insurance schemes that monitor your driving habits (through GPS) to determine your premium. One of the factors is that sudden starts and sudden stops are dangerous when in safe driving there are arguments for both. Example being when I was taught to drive on the highway my instructor said to floor the freaking car to speed up to the traffic (I nearly failed my highway test for not doing this) and suddenly stopping when a light turns yellow. These schemes take effect and you won't have anyone stopping suddenly and it will actually make the roads less safe.

I can't. I can't with the Toyota Siennas doing 55MPH in the left lane. I can't with the people who take so long to get through an intersection from a stop that the light is changing by the time they hit the other side. I can't with the 25mph down an on-ramp. And now, Maryland is making the test easier to pass.

I agree it isn't much of a thing anymore, I can do it but I don't do it enough to do it perfectly on a whim.

I agree somewhat, if you are speeding and the highway is empty then have at it but if you are speeding and weaving though traffic then you should be slapped with speeding and reckless driving.

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):

It isn't but I just don't do it enough to be a master at it on whim. I won't ding another car but I might hit the curb an have to readjust.

I'll add some more.

When getting on a highway that section on the ramp is to speed up to the traffic to merge with it not slowing it down. I call my mother on this when I am in the car with her you have no right to get on the freeway when getting on the highway at 70km/h when the traffic is moving 110km/h. Furthermore if you are in the right lane and have the ability to move over at an interchange then you should do it as it eases traffic and reduces the chances of an accident.

These causes more traffic problems than the actual volume of cars on the highway. Being self centered on the road helps nobody.

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 13):
Your attitude is incredibly selfish. The road does not belong to you, so use it in the most efficient manner.
And just BTW, you're not saving anything with your sluggish acceleration. Your you're riding the torque converter while accelerating slowly. So you're wasting fuel and time.

Don't buy Adjusto :P

I do agree that most of the traffic issues and bad driving is simply because people think that the road belongs to them.

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 11):

People on cell phones and texting, maddening. Fines for texting completly ignored here.

In Ontario the fine for non hands free communication is likely going to be $1000 within the next year.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Mir

Sat May 23, 2015 3:18 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 12):
Backing in is also safer. You already know what's in the drive lane and the spot you just passed. In order to back out, you must enter a drive path that you do not have full view of.

You know what's in the spot when you passed it, sure. That doesn't mean something or someone hasn't wandered into it after you drove by. Backing in reduces your visibility while moving into a small space, whereas backing out reduces your visibility while moving into a relatively large one. So I wouldn't necessarily say that backing in is safer in all circumstances. If things are clear all around (no adjoining cars), then by all means do it. But if things are tight, I'd rather have the better view of where I'm going.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

WarRI1

Sat May 23, 2015 3:28 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 14):
In Ontario the fine for non hands free communication is likely going to be $1000 within the next year.

Around here, I doubt that would change anything, of course the powers that be do not have the gumption to impose a penalty like that. I watch the obvious texters all the time, you can pick them out so easily by the tactics they use to avoid hitting others like the spacing between cars.

zckls04

Sat May 23, 2015 3:44 am

Well, my main complaint in the Bay Area is always psychopathic Prius drivers who drive two feet from my back bumper even when I'm going 70. I can't understand what it is about owning a hybrid that turns drivers so aggressive.
Four Granavox Turbines!

msptpa

Sat May 23, 2015 3:58 am

I usually don't get to upset when people do dumb things because I can move out of the situation fairly quickly.

In the MSP area people are known for not merging well. They really like to do the as mentioned, go down/up the on ramp to slow. Just a little while ago tonight someone did this ahead of me. I looked over as I passed them to see the people stuffing there faces with big a** ice creams. I just laughed and shook my head.... oh well. Ill usually get a little uncomfortably to close to people doing that to let them know whats up. I like to catch out people doing dumb things and then when they realize they get upset at me. Yes I am a dick like that. Im never in the way or not ever leaving myself an out. Some people have even tried to follow me but are never sucssesful.

When two people arrive at a 4 way stop and cant decide whos going..... thank you Ill go.

I have a faster, lighter, better stopping, and handling car than most. Its a stick so I have more control, and am more aware of my driving. The only distraction I may have is a conversation with the person who may be riding with me or changing the radio. Some of you may dissagree but I think auto trans cars make it easier for people to get distracted even when they don't think so. Im saying this because I notice a diffrence in my driving when I happen to use an auto trans vehicle.

A lot of people I know all say getting behind a prius is the worst.... I enjoy blasting by them. even if they think they are doing the planet or their wallets good.... Which they are not.

fr8mech

Sat May 23, 2015 4:27 am

but in Canada they have piloted these insurance schemes that monitor your driving habits (through GPS) to determine your premium.

Yeah, so long as it's optional, my insurer will not install a tracker in my vehicle to look at my driving habits.

Quoting Mir (Reply 15):
Backing in reduces your visibility while moving into a small space, whereas backing out reduces your visibility while moving into a relatively large one.

Only if you don't know how to use your mirrors. Power mirrors have made backing into a spot much safer than backing out of the spot.

Major package delivery company insists that its drivers back into all spaces when possible, because the data shows that it is safer.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Sat May 23, 2015 4:51 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 17):
Well, my main complaint in the Bay Area is always psychopathic Prius drivers who drive two feet from my back bumper even when I'm going 70. I can't understand what it is about owning a hybrid that turns drivers so aggressive.

Maybe you aren't going 70? Most people accuse Hybrid drivers of being slow.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

airportugal310

Sat May 23, 2015 7:18 am

Born and raised Bostonian here living and driving daily in Hawaii...

Here's a novel idea: learn what patience is and drive with Aloha.

(Did I really just say that? Wow this place must be getting to me!)
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Kiwirob

Sat May 23, 2015 7:44 am

It's not worth evaluation time to test nor is it worth instruction time to teach a skill that isn't used that often and is not dangerous to not have.

My guess is you can't parallel park BMI. Where I live the main street and all the side streets only have parallel parking, if you can't parallel park you have a long walk ahead.

jetwet1

Sat May 23, 2015 9:08 am

I learned to drive in a state where a yellow light means "stop because the other guy is going in a second!" Here it means pretty much the same thing as green. Even the first seconds of a red means the same thing as green. I honk at idiots who run reds but they either ignore me or give me the finger. You know, because I am doing something wrong. I know I live in California where the red light running driver is way more important but I have things to do, too!

Without looking at your profile, Vegas ?

Quoting 910A (Reply 3):

Mythbusters did a piece on this and yep, pretty much the same times over a distance.

When getting on a highway that section on the ramp is to speed up to the traffic to merge with it not slowing it down.

This drives me nuts, watching idiots slowing down to enter the traffic flow on a freeway, yes that will work every time, the whole freeway will stop to let them in.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 17):

Well, my main complaint in the Bay Area is always psychopathic Prius drivers who drive two feet from my back bumper even when I'm going 70.
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 20):
Maybe you aren't going 70? Most people accuse Hybrid drivers of being slow.

There are two types of Prius drivers IMHO, those who will not go above 55 and those who are nuts. I dealt with both types coming back to Vegas from LA a couple of weeks ago, one in the left lane of the 15 doing 45 and another who would either do 50 or 90, 3am empty freeway my cruise at.....70.....and this idiot would go past me then drop behind 5 minutes later blow right by me again....Probably burning more gas than my W-12 engine.

BMI727

Sat May 23, 2015 11:04 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):

In that case there's no sense wasting instructors' and evaluators' times on it.

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):
Maybe if you live out in the boonies, but in even a small city parallel parking is a way of life. And since all states have cities in them, there's really no excuse for not holding people to that standard.

I parallel park maybe a dozen times a year. And when I do it's often in neighborhoods I'd rather not be in more than I have to.

It's not that people wouldn't be able to learn, but having it be mandatory is a waste.

http://jalopnik.com/parallel-parking...ving-tests-is-pointless-1706121180

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 6):
Parallel parking means that you wear your vehicle like a garment. You know where the bumpers are, you know where the wheels are, you know where the car is going. That all contributes to overall safety.

If that's the concern make them autocross instead. They'd learn a lot more.

Driver training is broken because it is entirely too benign. When I learned it was pretty much just driving around on mostly empty roads (not much can be done about that) in the middle of the day. Students aren't put anywhere near the limits or asked to deal with situations that may get them killed. Granted, really being thorough would take a lot of resources, but it could be improved considerably without huge investment.

When I did it, training was mostly right pedal to go, left pedal to stop, keep your hands on the wheel, use the mirrors, don't text, and don't drink.

I agree somewhat, if you are speeding and the highway is empty then have at it but if you are speeding and weaving though traffic then you should be slapped with speeding and reckless driving.

If you drive like that on the autobahn you'll get in trouble too. But of course one of the leading causes of people weaving through traffic is drivers cruising in the left lane.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 22):
My guess is you can't parallel park BMI.

Your guess is wrong.

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 23):
There are two types of Prius drivers IMHO, those who will not go above 55 and those who are nuts.

The slow driving idiots would be slow driving idiots no matter what they're driving.

I don't blame the insanely fast Prius drivers though. If I had to drive a Prius I'd drive as fast as possible too just to get it over with that much sooner.

ltbewr

Sat May 23, 2015 12:35 pm

I took my driving test here in NJ in November 1971 and did my parallel parking with a 'family truckster' big-ass Ford Station Wagon (although it did have power steering). To me if I had to do it, you should too. For much of my driving life since then, parallel parking has been a daily necessity.

I suspect that outside of urbanized areas, very few have to parallel park, so for them, why should they have to learn it to pass a test. I know teaching it can be a headache, I remember in the early 1960's my then early age 30's mom learning to drive from my father and the parallel parking part, with a no power steering 1957 big ass Dodge brought her to tears and him to threating divorce. Part of here problem was depth perception as only she has one good eye. Eventually she learned and she still has to use parallel parking at age 86. Of course she has for years driven a power steering equipped Ford Focus and looks for the most open space to park on the street.

I do wish that the driving test was done, as in the UK and elsewhere a longer one on a variety of roads and streets. You should be required to drive competently on local steets, major roads with traffic and traffic controls, divided high speed roads (interstates) and yes, parallel park to get a comprehensive test of real life driving.

jetwet1

Sat May 23, 2015 2:23 pm

I have to wonder how many Americans could pass a UK drivers test, it's in a whole different league from the one I took over here.

PlymSpotter

Sat May 23, 2015 4:31 pm

For me it is drivers who leave dangerously inadequate room when passing cyclists, and/or who then pull in whilst still passing. I drive and ride, planning a pass is not rocket science - if you can't manage it you shouldn't be driving. I find it especially annoying when professional drivers do this... like the bus driver who got half way past me a few weeks ago and then pulled into me, knocking me off.

And also the flip side; cyclists who ride dangerously and go through red lights - they give us all a bad image and put themselves in significant danger. The other day I had one muppet shoot past me, undertake rolling traffic on a busy roundabout and then squeeze between the curb and an artic lorry. Foolishness is an underestimate!

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 26):

I have to wonder how many Americans could pass a UK drivers test, it's in a whole different league from the one I took over here.

I suspect many would struggle with roundabouts and traffic calming schemes.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Kiwirob

Sat May 23, 2015 6:21 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 26):

In the UK don't you have to use a manual car? Which leads to the next question how many Americans can drive a manual vehicle.

In Norway there are ice driving tests, open road driving tests, night driving tests, and you have to be able to perform a hill start and parallel park.

blueflyer

Sat May 23, 2015 6:51 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 27):

I suspect you might be surprised. Roundabouts are starting to pop up regularly on one- and two-lane roads in my neck of the woods. They're well designed and drivers seem to be getting used to them. There is still a learning curve, especially with two-lane roundabouts, but overall the results are better than I expected.

Sadly, that's about the only positive thing I can write about driving in Texas. Drivers. Are. Terrible. At a world-class level.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 25):
To me if I had to do it, you should too.

Should I call the operator to make a long-distance call too?

Kiwirob

Sat May 23, 2015 7:34 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 25):
I suspect that outside of urbanized areas, very few have to parallel park, so for them, why should they have to learn it to pass a test.

Because sometimes they might just have to drive somewhere where they have to parallel park.

LAX772LR

Sat May 23, 2015 8:00 pm

.......and then there's the report released today that more and more people are Fbooking and driving.

As if Texting & Driving wasn't bad enough.   
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

tommy1808

Sat May 23, 2015 8:29 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 28):
In the UK don't you have to use a manual car?

not for a Category B license.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

YVRLTN

Sat May 23, 2015 11:42 pm

They should be making tests harder, not easier. I have no idea how half of this city have their licenses - apart from the ones who bribed the driving instructor of course. Biggest issue here anyway seems to be a complete lack of awareness of what is going on around people and there needs to be a greater focus on that in the driving schools. I drive a pick up and it is amazing how many people appear to totally not be able to see my vehicle.

IMO a driver needs an all round competence to handle a vehicle in any possible situation and that includes parallel parking, or just parking in general. Here anyway I believe the most claims are from parking lots. These back up cameras are also creating incompetent drivers. We have aviation threads on too much automation in the cockpit and pilots cant hand fly in an emergency any more. Its the same in cars. Virtually everyone I know who has these cameras can no longer park a different vehicle which does not have one, though they could before. Then its raining and there are rain drops on the camera. Have to get out and clean it before they can park...

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 6):

And not only parking. People with their nose against the windshield so they cant turn the wheel in an emergency. People gripping onto the steering wheel as if it costs a bazillion bucks and someone is trying to wrench it out of your grasp... you need to be comfortable with your vehicle.

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):
If you don't know how to parallel park, you shouldn't be on the road. It's not that difficult.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 30):
Because sometimes they might just have to drive somewhere where they have to parallel park.

What are you going to do, ask someone else to park it for you? I wont let my wife drive my truck because she cant park it, it is dangerous to herself and everyone else.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 19):
Only if you don't know how to use your mirrors

A lot of people do not. OK, I have big mirrors, but its a no brainer to back in. When you come out you can see where you are going. In the UK its a law you must back in to a driveway on an arterial road.

Quoting msptpa (Reply 18):
In the MSP area people are known for not merging well. They really like to do the as mentioned, go down/up the on ramp to slow.

Yep, also we have a a right turn lane just by my place I use every day, its not a highway, just a main road, but there is no solid white line or yield sign, you are supposed to merge in, but its incredible how many totally stop. I blast them with my horn until they move, or generally just drive round them and they look at me as if I had ten heads or the Maple Leafs made the play offs...

One other thing that annoys me is that I like to keep a decent braking distance, particularly when it is wet as a truck needs more time to stop. People dart into that space all the time and cause me to brake hard. I will then be an ass and put my full beams on.... but doing that to a semi is also pretty common and its just stupidity and IMO in many case the rear end rule needs to be worse case more subject to circumstances rather than default 100% at fault.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

diverted

Sat May 23, 2015 11:42 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):

As far as I'm concerned, you're right, whether or not you can parallel park is probably not life or death. However, it is a great indicator of one's ability to judge distance, steering and pedal input, as well as low speed car control. Someone who KNOWS where the corners of their car are, KNOWS where the wheels are pointing etc. can probably parallel park. Someone who doesn't probably can't.

And if you don't know where the corners of your vehicle are, which way your wheels are pointing, or which way to turn to get the desired result, you shouldn't be driving.

BMI727

Sat May 23, 2015 11:55 pm

Then people can either learn or deal with having to walk further when they find a place where they don't need to parallel park.

The ability to parallel park is a matter of convenience, not safety. When it comes to teaching and evaluating new drivers, safety is where the focus needs to be.

tommy1808

Sun May 24, 2015 12:16 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 33):
Biggest issue here anyway seems to be a complete lack of awareness of what is going on around people and there needs to be a greater focus on that in the driving schools.

SA needs a lot of experience to build up, unless you want 100+ driving lessons, you have to let that develop in the field.
It may be depending on the school, but at least my driving teachers where very concerned with the whole where to turn your head and when to check the mirrors in any given situation.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 35):
The ability to parallel park is a matter of convenience, not safety.

I had to back into a parallel parking like situation at least twice in my 21 years of driving to let an ambulance and a fire engine pass with nowhere else to go w/o creating a holdup. Being able to make your vehicle go where you need to go at all times is a matter of safety. Ok, we may have a lot more narrow streets around here, I give you that. It would be interesting to see if there are any studies as to how many people die every year because drivers are incapable of getting their cars out of the way of emergency services quickly.
We can replace parallel parking with any other "reverse your car into here" situation if you like.

Best regards
Thomas

seb146

Sun May 24, 2015 12:32 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 23):

Without looking at your profile, Vegas ?

I learned to drive in Oregon. For many, many years I mainly drove in Portland and Seattle.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 27):

Yes, Americans HATE!!!! roundabouts. Most of us don't understand how they work. I just have a problem with where some of them are placed. Where my mom lives, there is one street that has four in a row. Not even a busy street! And, two of them are for the freeway on and off ramps!!

I think there needs to also be a major course in turn signal usage. The latest thing is back in, angle parking. Even with my turn signal on, people will get right up on my bumper and start honking at me!

tommy1808

Sun May 24, 2015 12:51 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 37):
Yes, Americans HATE!!!! roundabouts

yet they are the best invention ever.

Most of us don't understand how they work.

turn onto them, leave them where you want to go. If you'd made the roundabout a block big with houses and stuff in the middle, you wouldn't even notice it's a roundabout and not just some one-way residential street.

Not even a busy street

It was the same here when we finally saw the light and for a simple reason: to get used to it. That way you won't wet your pants when you graduate to a real roundabout:

best regards
Thomas

dragon-wings

Sun May 24, 2015 1:18 am

I have been driving for 24 years now and the only time I have parallel parked was when I took the driving test!
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

seb146

Sun May 24, 2015 2:06 am

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 38):
That way you won't wet your pants when you graduate to a real roundabout:

I generally like roundabouts. But, the picture provided reminds me of one thing:

Oh, look, kids! There's Big Ben!!

StarAC17

Sun May 24, 2015 2:26 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 19):
Yeah, so long as it's optional, my insurer will not install a tracker in my vehicle to look at my driving habits.

It's optional now but how corporations roll is that you are guilty until proven innocent so they in the future may artificially increase your premium if you refuse to be tracked.

I know how to do it and if I had to be tested on it I could practice it and get it within a half hour. I simply do not do it enough to nab it on the first try when never needing to do it on regular basis.

In the UK don't you have to use a manual car? Which leads to the next question how many Americans can drive a manual vehicle.

I can but I must ask what the parameters for driving manual on a test. Would I be required to shift down, would a stall mean you fail (I have been driving stick for 12 years but stalls happen time to time) and I only shift down when it is necessary as it can be cheaper to replace the brakes than the clutch.

In Norway there are ice driving tests, open road driving tests, night driving tests, and you have to be able to perform a hill start and parallel park.

Winter driving tests should be done in Canada.

Also another rant about winter driving, snow tires and all wheel drive is not an excuse to drive in snow like it isn't a hazard!!

There is a joke in Canada when it snows for the first time, the first car in the ditch is an SUV!!
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Longhornmaniac

Sun May 24, 2015 2:30 am

Well I got t-boned in my 5-day old Infiniti on Wednesday by a girl running a red light, presumably while distracted (read: texting)...

What do I win?

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

LAX772LR

Sun May 24, 2015 2:38 am

to a real roundabout

Good lord, I'd go white if I saw that.... I'm dark as the Nigerian nightfall!  Wow!

Quoting dragon-wings (Reply 39):
I have been driving for 24 years now and the only time I have parallel parked was when I took the driving test!

Come to LAX, especially downtown or around Melrose.
You'll make up for it in a single day.  
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

WarRI1

Sun May 24, 2015 2:59 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 41):
There is a joke in Canada when it snows for the first time, the first car in the ditch is an SUV!!

I was in Calgary a few years back when an Alberta Clipper went through. I was amazed the next day at the death and destruction on the highway. My first thought was , I thought these people knew how to drive in storms. We spent the day in Banff and got caught in the storm on the way back to lake Louise. When we got back to the Chateau, the girl said where did you come from? When we told her Banff, she said you folks are very lucky. We did have an SUV.

zckls04

Sun May 24, 2015 3:59 am

You can use an auto during your test, but the license you get if you pass only permits you to drive an auto.

If you pass in a manual you're certified to drive both types.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 41):
I can but I must ask what the parameters for driving manual on a test. Would I be required to shift down, would a stall mean you fail (I have been driving stick for 12 years but stalls happen time to time) and I only shift down when it is necessary as it can be cheaper to replace the brakes than the clutch.

You're required to select the correct gear for the speed you're driving, and if that means shifting down so be it. But that's unlikely to happen unless you're going up a steep hill. More usually you'd shift into neutral as you slowed down for a light, and if the traffic subsequently started moving you'd have to select an appropriate gear before you stepped on the gas.

You would definitely fail if you stalled.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 43):
Good lord, I'd go white if I saw that.... I'm dark as the Nigerian nightfall!  

Not as hard as it looks if you know what exit you're taking. If you don't, it can be a nightmare getting in the right lane. But you always feel a glow of pride when you make it across!
Four Granavox Turbines!

DIRECTFLT

Sun May 24, 2015 4:06 am

I would say that 9 times out of ten, when someone is driving, too fast, or too slow, or erraticlly, that they are holding a cell phone in their hand.

I think they would be *less* distracted, and able to drive better, and able to react to a sudden incident, if, they had both hands on the wheel, even if they were carrying on a conversation at the time.

It is for that reason, that I think it should be illegal to hold a cell phone in your hand while driving. That's just too much multi-tasking for most drivers.

Some locales and states even, have already outlawed the handheld use of a phone while driving. I will support that whenever it comes up again in my state.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

rwessel

Sun May 24, 2015 5:25 am

It was the same here when we finally saw the light and for a simple reason: to get used to it. That way you won't wet your pants when you graduate to a real roundabout:

The problem around here (Chicago) is all the other drivers who seem to panic at the sight of a roundabout. At least part of that is that there are very few in the area.

There's a fairly busy two lane roundabout in Des Plaines (a suburb of Chicago), where I swear half the people are going through with their eyes shut in terror. I can't tell you how many times I've seem someone go essentially straight across (with only a small dodge of the middle section, if necessary). Des Plaines is missing a major revenue source - they just need to post a cop there, and he can hand out improper lane usage tickets all day long.

seb146

Sun May 24, 2015 5:41 am

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 46):
I would say that 9 times out of ten, when someone is driving, too fast, or too slow, or erraticlly, that they are holding a cell phone in their hand.

Applying makeup, reading books or newspapers, seat dancing, eating a tasty burrito, reaching for something in the back seat....

We should be comfortable while driving. But, we need to understand that other people's lives are on the line.

tommy1808

Sun May 24, 2015 6:38 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 43):
Good lord, I'd go white if I saw that.... I'm dark as the Nigerian nightfall!  

I guess that is a normal reaction, but you get used to it very, very fast. My first roundabout ever was a two lane smack in a large city, that did make me uneasy. In those days all of Germany probably didn't have 10 roundabouts or so.
Roundabouts only started taking off after 2000 thanks to Prof. Dr.-Ing. Werner Brilon - They finally figured out how good the roundaboutso throughput can be. If you can read German: http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/verkeh...stechnische_Gestaltung_6_1991.pdfQ

Has some nice drawings too.
Funny thing it took so long since our neighbor France has so many.

Best regards
Thomas