Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PHX787
Topic Author

Mag. 5.6 Quake In Tokyo Today

Mon May 25, 2015 12:11 pm

This one lit up social media.

A magnitude 5.6 earthquake struck the kanto plane around 2:30pm JST, and the shaking was felt far and wide.

The metro area had a shindo of 4 (intensity scale from 1-7; 7 being highest and most intense and destructive). A 5- intensity was felt in eastern Ibaraki.

Only one injury reported according to NHK.

Trains were stopped for checks but the residual effects are still ongoing.

Personally, I was doing my usual monday school vlog when the quake struck, and the camera was rolling at that time, resulting in quite a hilarious reaction from me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNEmC7k7qcE

Now normally, a quake larger than a 5 would cause some damage to unprepared localities. Japan is one of the safest places to be during an earthquake though. I'm so used to them by now, it's merely minor disruptions of my day/ excuses to go overboard on social media / adrenaline pumpers by now for me. Anything over mag. 6.5 though is cause for worry.

Anyone else feel this?

PHX787
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

ab486

RE: Mag. 5.6 Quake In Tokyo Today

Mon May 25, 2015 1:03 pm

Is there any earthquake warning system in Japan? Perhaps something similar to that of tornado warnings in the US? I know very little about earthquakes, so I don't know whether a warning system is even feasible? The video was interesting to say the least! Interesting to hear that every phone in Japan has a system installed on it to warn you. Roughly speaking, how frequent are earthquakes in Japan?

SOBHI51

Mon May 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Thread starter):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNEmC7k7qcE

Been through 3 Quakes in my life, Cairo, Tokyo and Los Angeles. Felt the safer in Tokyo, Cairo was the worst i was in school and the building was on the old side.
Be safe.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

Silver1SWA

Mon May 25, 2015 2:11 pm

Dang, that one seemed to last a long time for a 5-pointer.

I have a friend who is visiting Japan right now. He was also there when that big one hit a few years ago. I told him I'm never going to Japan when he is there. lol

I HATE earthquakes...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Aaron747

Mon May 25, 2015 2:46 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Thread starter):
Anyone else feel this?

Not at all...too far away.

Quoting ab486 (Reply 1):
Roughly speaking, how frequent are earthquakes in Japan?

Very, particularly along the NE coast of Honshu, the same region where the huge Tohoku quake hit 3/11/2011. There are literally hundreds per year that can be felt by the local population - but it does depend on where one lives to some extent. Tokyo is sandwiched between the Tohoku region and a triangular plate boundary off the Izu peninsula, so it is in a quite active zone.

Old map, but gives you the general idea:

http://www.drgeorgepc.com/japanearthquakes.gif
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

gocaps16

Mon May 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Quoting ab486 (Reply 1):

I usually feel an average of 1 earthquake a week in the Northern Honshu area, usually II-III, the small ones that nobody really notice. Occasionally, maybe once or twice a year, you'll feel the good ones. (V-VI) During the 8 years I lived there, only been through some decent ones including March 11, 2011. Most of the quakes in Japan are strong, but are very deep, (over 100km in depth), thus resulting small shaking.

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 3):
I HATE earthquakes...

You live in San Diego, so shouldn't you be used to it? We had an earthquake about 10 years ago southwest of Richmond, VA that was felt in Washington D.C. Now, for those who never felt one in VA, THAT would considered to be scary.   It was one of those WTF moments.

PHX787
Topic Author

Tue May 26, 2015 11:27 am

Quoting ab486 (Reply 1):
Is there any earthquake warning system in Japan?

Yes, usually if the epicenter is far away enough it gives us enough time to react. These days our smartphones emit this loud obnoxious noise. As you saw in the video, my phone made some noise saying there was an earthquake, but the epicenter was too close to my apartment. The shaking started and within a second my phone went off.

Dang, that one seemed to last a long time for a 5-pointer.

Part of it could've been amplified by the fact I live 10 floors up.

I HATE earthquakes...

They're not scary to me anymore. It's just bothersome haha

Quoting gocaps16 (Reply 5):
Quoting ab486 (Reply 1):

I usually feel an average of 1 earthquake a week in the Northern Honshu area

I say in a year, there about 3 or 4 large ones that set off the alarms but don't cause damage. I think so far in Tokyo the alarms were set off by the Hakuba quake in January ( I think ) and the quake we had yesterday in Saitama.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787