Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mke717spotter
Topic Author

Fifa Officials Arrested, Face Extradition To US

Wed May 27, 2015 5:24 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/sp...on&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

"Swiss authorities began an extraordinary early-morning operation here Wednesday to arrest several top soccer officials and extradite them to the United States on federal corruption charges.

As leaders of FIFA, soccer’s global governing body, gathered for their annual meeting, more than a dozen plain-clothed Swiss law enforcement officials arrived unannounced at the Baur au Lac hotel, an elegant five-star property with views of the Alps and Lake Zurich.

The charges allege widespread corruption in FIFA over the past two decades, involving bids for World Cups as well as marketing and broadcast deals, according to three law enforcement officials with direct knowledge of the case. The charges include wire fraud, racketeering and money laundering, and officials said they targeted members of FIFA’s powerful executive committee, which wields enormous power and does its business largely in secret."

I'm glad, but I don't get it. How can the US arrest FIFA officials? Under what jurisdiction is that even allowed? Could this actually bring about the sweeping action we've been waiting for? The shadiness over at FIFA is blatantly obvious, yet it burns me up inside that no one's seemingly been able to do anything about it.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

B777LRF

RE: Fifa Officials Arrested, Face Extradition To US

Wed May 27, 2015 5:48 am

The arrests were made by Swiss police, based on charges levied by US authorities. Nothing abnormal about that, the only thing they missed was locking up Septic Bladder with the rest of them.
Signature. You just read one.

Kiwirob

Wed May 27, 2015 5:57 am

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 1):
the only thing they missed was locking up Septic Bladder with the rest of them.

This! I can't see how corruption charges can be levelled against FIFA officials without arresting the biggest crook of them all.

CPH-R

Wed May 27, 2015 6:02 am

Because Blatter is 'too big to fail'. I mean, this is the guy who managed to get the Swiss to classify FIFA as a charity!

scbriml

Wed May 27, 2015 6:17 am

Nothing abnormal about that, the only thing they missed was locking up Septic Bladder with the rest of them.

Yes. I'd have probably injured myself laughing if Septic Bladder had been included.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 2):
This! I can't see how corruption charges can be levelled against FIFA officials without arresting the biggest crook of them all.

His fall will come.

It does raise some interesting questions -
Will the election still go ahead as scheduled?
Were those arrested going to vote against Blatter?   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

TIA

Wed May 27, 2015 6:26 am

A bit ironic that even on FIFA matters, guidance has to come from the US. And then people complain about the US meddling everywhere. Well, didn't see any of the European or Latin American authorities do anything about this for years. But maybe Europe should start by cleaning up UEFA first. Platini is just as corrupt. After all wasn't he a big supporter of Blatter until yesterday and a leading vote for Qatar getting the WC?
And what's up with presidents of federations from tiny countries with no weight in world soccer having so much power over FIFA matters.

scrubbsywg

Wed May 27, 2015 6:36 am

Quoting TIA (Reply 5):
And what's up with presidents of federations from tiny countries with no weight in world soccer having so much power over FIFA matters.

Main reason: one country, one vote. Getting Germany on your side is just as advantageous as the Caymen Islands. Providing money for a $5Million stadium in Caymen islands, for example, is a huge benefit to the soccer establishment there, but a drop in the bucket in Germany.

This article explains it all quite well: http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-sepp-blatter-fifa/

[Edited 2015-05-26 23:36:44]

Mir

Wed May 27, 2015 6:51 am

USA! USA! USA!

Quoting TIA (Reply 5):
A bit ironic that even on FIFA matters, guidance has to come from the US.

We're the only major country in the world that doesn't care enough about soccer to risk FIFA's wrath. If Germany were to go after FIFA, their team would be barred from competition, and that would be difficult to explain to the fans. But if FIFA bans the US team from competition, the reaction will mostly be "okay, whatever".

Either that, or we'll just decide to hold our own worldwide competition instead. It's not like we don't have the infrastructure for it already in place.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

TIA

Wed May 27, 2015 6:55 am

Quoting scrubbsywg (Reply 6):
Main reason: one country, one vote.

No, I get that. But the ExCo, which decides a majority of issue, should more accurately reflect the true weight of each nation. That Warner guy from Trinidad was second in command to Blatter for example. But by no mean is corruption isolated to developing countries. Blatter is Swiss, the so called judge who buried the Garcia report was German, etc.

[Edited 2015-05-26 23:58:01]

TIA

Wed May 27, 2015 7:02 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):
If Germany were to go after FIFA, their team would be barred from competition, and that would be difficult to explain to the fans.

I don't think even Blatter would have the balls to do that. If Germany was kicked out, at least a few, if not the majority of the rest of the top tier teams would quit in solidarity. That would be the end of FIFA, and Blatter knows it.

randyh3253

Wed May 27, 2015 7:10 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):
But if FIFA bans the US team from competition, the reaction will mostly be "okay, whatever".

Thats not going to happen. Per CNN, FIFA makes more money from the US than any other country in terms of the World Cup. "In addition, U.S. authorities claim jurisdiction because the American television market, and billions paid by U.S. networks, is the largest for the World Cup." http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/27/footba...rges-justice-department/index.html

blueflyer

Wed May 27, 2015 8:39 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 3):
Because Blatter is 'too big to fail'. I mean, this is the guy who managed to get the Swiss to classify FIFA as a charity!

You never know. US prosecutors are not above making deals with the first batch of suspects they arrest, offering reduced charges in exchange for information that may be used to convict others. I would be very surprised if the offer isn't made at some point.

In a perverse way, it might have been better for Blatter to be arrested today. He could have bargained with prosecutors, offering up everything he knows on his colleagues. As it stands, if/when prosecutors get to him, they may not be interested in anything he might offer and throw the book at him instead.

Quoting TIA (Reply 5):
And then people complain about the US meddling everywhere.

Well, the six suspects made it easy for the US to meddle. If they had wanted their malfeasance to stay clear of the US judicial system, not using bank accounts in the United States would have been a first step. That alone is going to make it almost impossible to convince Switzerland to refuse the extradition requests. FIFA collecting television rights from US broadcasters is just the cherry on the prosecution's cake.

[Edited 2015-05-27 01:41:28]

PanHAM

Wed May 27, 2015 9:29 am

First of all, good news. But before Theseguys can be extradited to the USA, it will take a Long legal battle. They have the right to Appeal and at the end of the day, even if extradition takes place, there won't be any 100 year sentences in the US. The Maximum Penalty will be in accordance with Swiss laws.

Still good enough. Even better, latest News is now, that the Swiss authorities themselves are investigating the 2018 Russia and 2022 Qatar decisions. That makes septic Sepp a clear target for the investigations.

In any case, their re-election ceremony for Sepp this Friday is likely not taking place.......

well, there are still 2 days to go until Friday, lot's of things can happen till then. Septic Sepp actually rather is Teflon Sepp, nothing sticks.......

[Edited 2015-05-27 03:26:33]
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

TristarAtLCA

Wed May 27, 2015 10:20 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 12):
In any case, their re-election ceremony for Sepp this Friday is likely not taking place.......

Amazingly, FIFA are claiming this Fridays vote is still going ahead. Unreal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32895057
If you was right..................I'd agree with you

ltbewr

Wed May 27, 2015 11:41 am

Apparently part of the basis of US charges is via the FIFA connected CONACAF regional division which includes the USA and bribery as to US broadcasters.
Most likely the charges are under our strict Federal statutes including those on bribery, money laundering, income tax evasion (bribes are subject to tax), wire/mail fraud, that is using internet, phones, postal services to transfer illegal monies. Further USA based banks and any foreign subsidies or branches of theirs or foreign banks with branches in the USA and have seen a huge crackdown on foreign transactions that are to evade the previously noted laws. Several US and Foreign banks doing business in the US just saw huge penalties assessed on them for such violations and I suspect the violations by the charged FIFA officials may have shown up in that massive investigation and criminal prosecution deal.
The cooperation of the Swiss is most likely due to the growing pressure on them from the USA and some EC countries as to tax evasion, money laundering and related issues. They need to get the US/EC pressure backed off their banking/financial services sector so their cooperation to support the USA charges might buy them some goodwill and less investigations elsewhere.
While these arrests and the extraditions will be highly challenged in Swiss courts, most likely deals will be done to pay huge fines to the US government.
Next is that the USA must use its position in FIFA to pressure for a massive clean up, choose a totally new person to head FIFA (even delaying the vote) and at the least withdraw the 2022 WC award to Qatar.

GIANCAVIA

Wed May 27, 2015 12:17 pm

Blatter wasnt arrested so who cares, He is the definition of corruption.. the leader of it all. Yet he always escapes.

Derico

Wed May 27, 2015 12:27 pm

Before the rampant American arrogance appearing in this thread gets out of control, the only reason the United States is the one taking the action has nothing to to with power or money, simple jurisdiction: The US investigated alleged acts in its soil, since according to them, almost all of these corruption charges took place within US territory.

It has nothing to do with the US being less corrupt, or caring less about FIFA. The US has been one of the biggest beneficiaries of FIFA corruption, since this organization has poured significant efforts in the last two decades to grow their sport there.

In fact they could probably do the same if not more with the Olympic Committee, yet they stay utterly silent since the US is a principal source of the corruption there (along with Russia and China).

So no probity points for the USA, sorry. When I see them taking on organizations they truly control, then perhaps I would believe the piety push.

Obviously I could care less about those arrested. Too bad Grondona died before this happened, though I doubt they would have touched him as FIFA Vice-P.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

Dano1977

Wed May 27, 2015 12:51 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 16):
The US investigated alleged acts in its soil, since according to them, almost all of these corruption charges took place within US territory.

I read on another forum, (so this fact could correct or incorrect) that if FIFA in Switzerland used an American ISP even for only 1 second, that is enough for the FBI to become involved.

Just watch the snowball effect, as the people currently under arrest/suspicion will start naming bigger people in the food chain.

This is going to be some interesting viewing   

Hopefully now    epp Blatter will now be held to account.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

Derico

Wed May 27, 2015 1:02 pm

One second is a long time in computing. So yeah, if you use another country's infraestructure to do things, you run the risk of the risk of their jurisdiction. When I go to a Swiss or Chinese website, whatever I do there falls under their jurisdiction. It's just the way it is.

So I don't fault the United States a bit since they have the right. I question the comments here about the US not caring or beng less corrupt and having to do the job the "corrupt" non-Americans will not do.

The Atlanta and Salt Lake Olympics were horrendously corrupt, as are many of the goings-on at the IOC of which the US is a major source of the corruption, and then many of the athletes themselves are corrupt cheaters. No other country has had so many medals "posthumously" taken away, why are apparently the doping enforcement resources so woeful??

Even outside the Olympics, look at Lance Armstrong.

I just don't want to read one more sentence about the United States having more integrity. I will call that BS anytime I read it.

MrHMSH

Wed May 27, 2015 1:02 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):
We're the only major country in the world that doesn't care enough about soccer to risk FIFA's wrath. If Germany were to go after FIFA, their team would be barred from competition, and that would be difficult to explain to the fans. But if FIFA bans the US team from competition, the reaction will mostly be "okay, whatever".

Thank you for your disinterest!  
Quoting TIA (Reply 9):
I don't think even Blatter would have the balls to do that. If Germany was kicked out, at least a few, if not the majority of the rest of the top tier teams would quit in solidarity. That would be the end of FIFA, and Blatter knows it.

I wish they had the balls to do that. It would be a wonderful thing.

BestWestern

Wed May 27, 2015 1:03 pm

The UK guardian has an excellent live blog on this subject.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...everal-top-fifa-officials-arrested

This all sounds like a mafia takedown from the Sopranos.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Derico

Wed May 27, 2015 1:23 pm

Also the US has to be careful about how they use "internet" home-field advantage. A great many sites are based on US servers, so they can investigate anyone here in fact, posting in this forum. The owners of this domain have decided to use their servers.

But the internet is flexible and if websites and people start believe the US is abusing power, they will quickly migrate to servers in other countries they believe fit better their values or laws. The US would very quickly lose a grasp on the tool.

The owners of this site could decide tomorrow they are distrustful of US surveillance and move their server to India or Estonia or something.

In fact I am surprised no country has yet taken advantage of this, and become a sort of cyber-Switzerland. Just promise extremely secretive and protective laws, and attract servers and IT's to install themselves there.

Marcus

Wed May 27, 2015 1:25 pm

Wait a minute!...you mean to tell me that there is corruption in organized sports!? that is unbelievable!!...what is next corruption in boxing?

This guy nailed this situation last year...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

DfwRevolution

Wed May 27, 2015 1:26 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 18):
I just don't want to read one more sentence about the United States having more integrity. I will call that BS anytime I read it.

Then brace yourself. The United States holds its citizens and visitors to a higher degree of ethical conduct than many other developed countries, including EU nations. Having worked for an U.S. multinational firm that was acquired by a German company, we had to thoroughly instruct our German colleagues on the severity of U.S. corruption laws such as the FCPA.

I can see that your flag is from Argentina, one of the most corrupt nations on the planet. It is often hard for people who are accustom to such rampant corruption to understand that things actually do work differently elsewhere.

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 11):
You never know. US prosecutors are not above making deals with the first batch of suspects they arrest, offering reduced charges in exchange for information that may be used to convict others. I would be very surprised if the offer isn't made at some point.

"Not above?" Are you suggesting there is something about plea bargains that should be "below" prosecutors? On the contrary, plea bargains are a hugely effective anti-corruption tactic. Prosecutors were largely successful in unlocking the Petrobras corruption scandal by using plea bargains, which are relatively uncommon in Brazil.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

Derico

Wed May 27, 2015 1:38 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 23):

Then brace yourself. The United States holds its citizens and visitors to a higher degree of ethical conduct

Yet somehow US companies are more than happy to partake in the corruption of other countries... including FIFA as we can see here since CONCACAF is dominated by the USA and Mexico. Let's remember these two countries have almost full control, so if things got so out of control at "FIFA" (in this case code word for CONCACAF), then aren't those clear signs of failure in the institutions of the principal countries of the block?

And what about the last financial crisis you had? Bank corruption, real estate fraud on a mass scale, rampant currency manipuIation, interest-rate fixing. Guess the ethical conduct police was on extended vacation at the time.

Kudos to your company though, I will not dispute what you say about practices there. I will also not be told by you that what I read in the news is a lie. Everything I said is based on reported facts.

EDIT:

Actually ironic you brought up Plea-bargaining, which in almost the entire world is seen as one of the most corrupt ways of pursuing justice:

Forbes (not exactly anti-American rag)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/timothyl...rrupt-practice-of-plea-bargaining/

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/1...s-major-role-in-mass-incarceration

[Edited 2015-05-27 06:45:14]

Revelation

Wed May 27, 2015 2:26 pm

In a perverse way, it might have been better for Blatter to be arrested today. He could have bargained with prosecutors, offering up everything he knows on his colleagues. As it stands, if/when prosecutors get to him, they may not be interested in anything he might offer and throw the book at him instead.

Very true. I heard one of the charges is racketeering, which was the same technique used to shut down La Cosa Nostra. When those "tough guys" were given the choice of prison time or ratting out their bosses, they all chose to rat out their bosses. So it makes sense to grab a few underlings who you have solid evidence on and use them to bring down the big boss.

Well, the six suspects made it easy for the US to meddle. If they had wanted their malfeasance to stay clear of the US judicial system, not using bank accounts in the United States would have been a first step. That alone is going to make it almost impossible to convince Switzerland to refuse the extradition requests. FIFA collecting television rights from US broadcasters is just the cherry on the prosecution's cake.
Quoting PanHAM (Reply 12):

Still good enough. Even better, latest News is now, that the Swiss authorities themselves are investigating the 2018 Russia and 2022 Qatar decisions. That makes septic Sepp a clear target for the investigations.

Yes, it's not rocket science.

Quoting Derico (Reply 16):
Before the rampant American arrogance appearing in this thread gets out of control, the only reason the United States is the one taking the action has nothing to to with power or money, simple jurisdiction: The US investigated alleged acts in its soil, since according to them, almost all of these corruption charges took place within US territory.

It has nothing to do with the US being less corrupt, or caring less about FIFA. The US has been one of the biggest beneficiaries of FIFA corruption, since this organization has poured significant efforts in the last two decades to grow their sport there.

Your insistence on making this about American arrogance is really uncalled for. If it's US that is benefiting so much from FIFA corruption then why is it that my tax dollars are now going to go into a long court battle with these guys who really don't matter to the average American? And if convicted, it's my tax dollars that are going to be used to imprison these guys.

Quoting giancavia (Reply 15):
Blatter wasnt arrested so who cares, He is the definition of corruption.. the leader of it all. Yet he always escapes.

"Always" is a long time. Ask mobster John Gotti, the "Teflon Don", who beat a few cases but then ended up dying in prison after being brought down by a racketeering charge bolstered by testimony of his most trusted acomplice, Sammy "The Bull" Gravano.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

flyingturtle

Wed May 27, 2015 2:44 pm

only thing they missed was locking up Septic Bladder with the rest of them.

This cracked me up. 
Quoting CPH-R (Reply 3):
Because Blatter is 'too big to fail'.
Quoting giancavia (Reply 15):

It's always like this. To provide immunity for oneself, one has to follow a few simple rules.
- always delegate the dirty work. For example, found a company that accepts mucho, mucho $$$$ in exchange for lukewarm products or services. You own shares in this company, and do some "work" on that company's board.
- delegate responsibility. There's a FIFA board, after all. Which has power enough to hand world cups to Qatar, Russia, the Bouvet Island or Isengard. If questioned, just say that the board is independent of you, and you had issued no directions whatsoever.
- form very reliable, but yet informal connections. Invite the FIFA board and their trophy women/playgirls over to lavish, private holiday resorts. There are no written orders, memos or documents connecting you and those that do that dirty work. It's all about trust, dude.
- create a command chain that allows for plausible deniability. "It may be true that X allowed Y to accept bribes, but I told X specifically to not tolerate any corruption!"

David

[Edited 2015-05-27 08:00:36]
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

fxramper

Wed May 27, 2015 2:50 pm

USDOJ has been sitting on this for some time. I'm curious if they were waiting for Lynch to be confirmed as to make her lame duck posting relevant. Regardless of that, she is an extremely articulate speaker. I'd love to see her pursue politics beyond the Obama reign.

Revelation

Wed May 27, 2015 2:54 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 21):
But the internet is flexible and if websites and people start believe the US is abusing power, they will quickly migrate to servers in other countries they believe fit better their values or laws.

If that was the case, it should have happened long ago, right after Snowden. In fact some of it has happened, which is one reason why NSA needs to be curtailed. As you say, the bigger surprise is why more traffic hasn't left the USA.

Quoting Derico (Reply 21):
In fact I am surprised no country has yet taken advantage of this, and become a sort of cyber-Switzerland.

Here's one attempt: http://www.sealandgov.org/

Quoting Marcus (Reply 22):
Wait a minute!...you mean to tell me that there is corruption in organized sports!? that is unbelievable!!...what is next corruption in boxing?

US football is pretty corrupt IMHO. I could easily see Roger Goodell putting the Super Bowl in Qatar if he could get away with it, just to cash in.

Quoting Derico (Reply 24):
Yet somehow US companies are more than happy to partake in the corruption of other countries...

So that means we should do nothing when we find corruption here? WTF?

And what about the last financial crisis you had? Bank corruption, real estate fraud on a mass scale, rampant currency manipuIation, interest-rate fixing. Guess the ethical conduct police was on extended vacation at the time.

All valid points. Now, do you care to tell me how much better Argentina is doing?

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 26):
To provide immunity for oneself, one has to follow a few simple rules.

Check out:

Quote:

The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, commonly referred to as the RICO Act or simply RICO, is a United States federal law that provides for extended criminal penalties and a civil cause of action for acts performed as part of an ongoing criminal organization. The RICO Act focuses specifically on racketeering, and it allows the leaders of a syndicate to be tried for the crimes which they ordered others to do or assisted them, closing a perceived loophole that allowed someone who told a man to, for example, murder, to be exempt from the trial because he did not actually commit the crime personally.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rackete...nced_and_Corrupt_Organizations_Act

Right about now, if I were Blatter, I'd be emptying my bladder! 

ikramerica

Wed May 27, 2015 4:01 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 20):

The UK guardian has an excellent live blog on this subject.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...everal-top-fifa-officials-arrested

This all sounds like a mafia takedown from the Sopranos.

Using the same laws, so yeah.

What really pushed this issue was Qatar. The west has to bite its tongue politically when Russia wins the Olympics and then the World Cup, but Qatar is not a major global threat so when they are awarded the World Cup despite being ill suited for it, and then after the fact the date is changed to accommodate them even though NOT changing the timing was part of winning the bid, that was the end.

It's hardly too late for any deserving country to prepare for 2022, but I would imagine the UK and Australia are front runners. Maybe even an Aussie/NZ joint venture. While the USA could do it, I can't see how that would work considering we are the ones who took action. Would look like... Corruption?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

SOBHI51

Wed May 27, 2015 4:16 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 23):
Then brace yourself. The United States holds its citizens and visitors to a higher degree of ethical conduct than many other developed countries, including EU nations

Not according to the latest from CNN

Lynch said FIFA executives and others used bribes to influence where the 2010 World Cup would be held; that tournament was held in South Africa. She also alleged $110 million in bribes related to the Copa America tournament to be held in the United States in 2016.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

ikramerica

Wed May 27, 2015 4:38 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 30):

Yes and because of the 2016 bribes we took action. Similar to the SLC Olympics. It's very likely that the same people extorted for the 2016 tournament contacted the FBI...

Osubuckeyes

Wed May 27, 2015 4:42 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 29):
While the USA could do it, I can't see how that would work considering we are the ones who took action. Would look like... Corruption?

Re-enter the bidding process for the finalists and do it again for 2022. South Korea, Japan, Australia, and USA were all in the running, and there is absolutely no reason that is not corruption that Qatar should have been awarded the cup over any of those, except for 3/4 have already held a previous tournament.

threeifbyair

Wed May 27, 2015 4:45 pm

Quoting fxramper (Reply 27):
USDOJ has been sitting on this for some time. I'm curious if they were waiting for Lynch to be confirmed as to make her lame duck posting relevant. Regardless of that, she is an extremely articulate speaker. I'd love to see her pursue politics beyond the Obama reign.

Lynch was also previously the US Attorney in Brooklyn (Eastern NY District) which is the DOJ office leading the investigation. I think that might have something to do with the timing.

Happy to see Chuck Blazer (who is an American, btw) going down for this. Crooked dealings involving him have been alleged for years. Shamefully he was the US representative on the FIFA ExCom for a long time.

US laws are very strict regarding banking transactions. I suspect many of these payments may have routed through the network or accounts of a US bank, or a foreign bank's US branch, which makes it fair game for US jurisdiction.

ikramerica

Wed May 27, 2015 4:50 pm

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 33):

A crooked body will only want crooked members. A straight arrow US rep wouldn't be approved.

Dano1977

Wed May 27, 2015 4:50 pm

According to the latest...

Sepp Blatter has been requested to attend an interview with the Authorities

An arrest warrant has been issued for Jack Warner
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

WingsFan

Wed May 27, 2015 5:17 pm

FIFA is cesspool overflowing with corruption and this is a generally accepted fact. If these arrests instigate a meaningful reform , then this will be US's greatest contribution to the game of soccer.

If these go nowhere, FIFA will hold the reports as a badge of honor and proof that all are pure and kosher .

Revelation

Wed May 27, 2015 5:24 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/sp...arges-blatter-isnt-among-them.html says we're only getting started, and indeed says AG Lynch has been involved in this case right from the start.

Quote:
United States law enforcement officials declared in forceful terms on Wednesday that their broad investigation of FIFA had only begun and pledged to rid the international soccer organization of systemic corruption.

The Justice Department, F.B.I. and I.R.S. described soccer’s governing body in terms normally reserved for Mafia families and drug cartels, saying that top officials treated FIFA business decisions as chits to be traded for personal wealth. One soccer official took in more than $10 million in bribes, Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch said.

The schemes involving the fraud included the selection of South Africa as the host of the 2010 World Cup; the 2011 FIFA presidential elections; and several sports-marketing deals.

“These individuals and organizations engaged in bribery to decide who would televise games, where the games would be held, and who would run the organization overseeing organized soccer worldwide,” said Ms. Lynch, who supervised the investigation from its earliest stages.

The Department of Justice indictment names 14 people on charges including racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracy. In addition to senior soccer officials, the indictment also named sports-marketing executives from the United States and South America who are accused of paying more than $150 million in bribes and kickbacks in exchange for media deals associated with major soccer tournaments.

The rest of the article has some absolutely eye-watering stuff about junior executives flying around to collect briefcases full of tens of thousands of dollars in cash, pretty much every form of graft and money laundering ever invented, and 25 unnamed co-conspirators. Go ahead and read it!

It looks like this will be a watershed moment in the history of FIFA.

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 33):
Happy to see Chuck Blazer (who is an American, btw) going down for this. Crooked dealings involving him have been alleged for years. Shamefully he was the US representative on the FIFA ExCom for a long time.

NYT is saying Blazer has already secretly pleaded guilty in 2013 and it seems clear he is one of the key sources of info on the others.

Quoting Dano1977 (Reply 35):
An arrest warrant has been issued for Jack Warner

And he'll probably find the cutlery planted in his back came via Mr. Blazer.

DfwRevolution

Wed May 27, 2015 5:24 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 30):
Not according to the latest from CNN

Lynch said FIFA executives and others used bribes to influence where the 2010 World Cup would be held; that tournament was held in South Africa. She also alleged $110 million in bribes related to the Copa America tournament to be held in the United States in 2016.

You are proving my point. The fact that the DOJ is pursuing bribery charges confirms that the U.S. government does not tolerate that behavior. That bribery may have taken place just means that those individuals didn't hold themselves to the standards established by our society.

Yet somehow US companies are more than happy to partake in the corruption of other countries...

False. U.S. companies are bound by U.S. trade laws when operating in foreign countries. FCPA in particular applies to all U.S. citizens operating anywhere in the world.

Actually ironic you brought up Plea-bargaining, which in almost the entire world is seen as one of the most corrupt ways of pursuing justice

Look at the details of those cases. Those are individuals who are being ramrodded into accepting plea deals because of mandatory minimum sentences, a totally different issue. What we are discussing here is criminal conspiracies in which squeezing some members of the conspiracy is an effective way to unravel the extent of plot.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

wingman

Wed May 27, 2015 5:27 pm

It's how it's done, get just enough to take in the small fish and make them rat out the guy you're really after. Its textbook FBI and DOJ procedure against the Mafia. If they and the Swiss did their homework right then Septic Bladder is up shit creek, except it'll be himself up it instead of everyone else.

ikramerica

Wed May 27, 2015 5:41 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 38):

False. U.S. companies are bound by U.S. trade laws when operating in foreign countries. FCPA in particular applies to all U.S. citizens operating anywhere in the world.

Correct. Boeing has been tagged for this multiple times. I think there is an ongoing case right now.

Marcus

Wed May 27, 2015 5:51 pm

I hope this spills over to some national football federations and heads start rolling there also, I can think of one that could use some cleaning....   

[Edited 2015-05-27 10:51:52]

[Edited 2015-05-27 10:52:08]
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

GrahamHill

Wed May 27, 2015 5:52 pm

"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

threeifbyair

Wed May 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 34):
A crooked body will only want crooked members. A straight arrow US rep wouldn't be approved.

Sunil Gulati, the current US representative, actually has an ethical reputation. Probably too good for FIFA. Hence why we had no chance to win the 2018 or 2022 World Cups. Gulati wasn't going to pay off the right people to make it happen.

The FIFA ExCo is loaded with questionable characters. The Russian member billed 97 (!) breakfasts for himself while accompanying the Russian team at the 2010 Winter Olympics. Needless to say, he was not there 97 days.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...0/nov/24/world-cup-2018-russia-bid

GIANCAVIA

Wed May 27, 2015 5:57 pm

Wonder if Platini is worried UEFA and their illegal corrupt Financial Fair Play scam will come down on them also.

Revelation

Wed May 27, 2015 6:18 pm

Quoting wingman (Reply 39):
It's how it's done, get just enough to take in the small fish and make them rat out the guy you're really after. Its textbook FBI and DOJ procedure against the Mafia.

Yes, as above, it seems Mr. Blazer is 'ratting out' Mr. Warner.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 42):
GrahamHill From France, joined Mar 2007, 2977 posts, RR: 1

Quite appropriate!  

FWIW, Wikipedia already has a page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FIFA_corruption_case

[Edited 2015-05-27 11:21:47]

flyingturtle

Wed May 27, 2015 6:27 pm

Just an interesting tidbit about the discussion about the US seeking corruption criminals all around the world...

In the past, it was perfectly legal for Swiss persons to bribe other persons abroad. They were safe from Swiss courts. They could even deduct the bribes paid from the taxable income.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

winterlight

Wed May 27, 2015 6:54 pm

Well, having done such a great job in the Middle East, Tony Blair must now fancy the ethics job at FIFA.
Question everything. Trust no-one.

Revelation

Wed May 27, 2015 7:09 pm

us330

Wed May 27, 2015 7:17 pm

Yet somehow US companies are more than happy to partake in the corruption of other countries

U.S. companies are forbidden from engaging in corrupt practices abroad but that doesn't mean that U.S. companies and individuals don't engage in such practices. If they are caught doing so, they risk prosecution by the DOJ and SEC.

The U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act apply to US companies and US persons acting in other countries, and was enacted in the wake of the Lockheed-ANA bribery scandal.