Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kiwirob

RE: I'm In The Market For A New Car

Thu May 28, 2015 7:22 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 47):

The newer stick shift Mazda 6 has a "hill-start" thing where it will prevent the car from rolling backwards for a couple seconds when you take your foot off the brake (if you're not in reverse, obviously). I was actually a bit disappointed by this; I like using the parking brake to do the same thing.

I hated the foot operated parking brake in our manual C class, what a bitch of a thing, made hill starts fun until I got the hang of it.

29erUSA187

Thu May 28, 2015 8:07 pm

I just turned 16, and for a 3rd car for the family, we bought a Mazda 3 Hatchback 6-Speed Manual Transmission w/ a 2.5L engine. We absolutely love it.

Its feather light, so the acceleration and handling is awesome, and the chasee is very tight, especially around turns. It also gets 36-38 highway mpg, and 28-30 city. Pretty good compared to our other cars. It has a small tank, and only costs about $40 to fill at current gas prices, while our Jeep Grand Cherokee is over $100 right now. (gas is up over $4 a gallon here in CA)

Best of all, its cheap to acquire, even though we leased our car, if we had straight up bought it, it would have cost about 24-26K. Thats not bad.

Just my (biased) $0.02

luckyone

Thu May 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Thread starter):

For not much more money I would get the Golf TDI. More flexible space, and the materials used for the interior are generally superior to that of a Jetta. If you wanted a bigger sedan my MIL has a Passat that is fantastic with a diesel.

Ken777

Thu May 28, 2015 9:47 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 6):
Then add in the "can I get diesel in the middle of East Bum**** USA" issue

Doc wouldn't be filling up more than once a week so he could quickly spot the best places to go to.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 4):
My previous car was a 2010 Mazda 3

My wife used her Maxda MX3 (a sporty version of the Protege) for 13 years and then we traded it to a plumber for a fair chunk of work - about equal to a $1,.200 trade in. It was reliable, cheap to drive and a pretty fun car for $11K new. (Those were the days!)

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 40):
Dem prices doe...

And the costs don't end with the purchase price. My first car was a '68 BMW 2002 (the first year BMW imported into the US.). No doubt it was a great car and fun to drive, but the cooling system was worse than you would find on a Yugo and you couldn't have an AC installed. I even had to pull off of LA traffic to let the car cool down. BMW finally delivered a "fix" - a larger fan that they dealer installed backwards. Ignorant engineers for the cooling system and arrogant management that was too cheap to fix the problem properly with a larger radiator & fan.

To add insult to injury, the dealer hit you up for $100 or more anytime you went by.

Actually, why not look at something like the Miata. Cheap on gas and it can be a great weekend get away car for you and your hubby - top down in good weather and the old bread, cheese & wine bit. You can get a Corolla with a stick for commuting, but it's going to be the weekend where you'll enjoy a car and California can be a great place to drop the top.

Revelation

Thu May 28, 2015 9:50 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 53):
the dealer hit you up for $100 or more anytime you went by.

This is why I 100% stopped using the local BMW dealer. They instituted a $99 'diagnostic fee' for rolling the car into the service bay. Since that happened, I've never returned.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

vikkyvik

Thu May 28, 2015 10:00 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 50):
I hated the foot operated parking brake in our manual C class, what a bitch of a thing, made hill starts fun until I got the hang of it.

Damn. I've never driven a stick shift with a pedal parking brake. All have been the hand lever.

You release the parking brake and the clutch at the same time with the same foot?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

BMI727

Fri May 29, 2015 12:13 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 16):
If you want more flash there's also the Audi A3 TDi. Just don't buy the manual, diesel and manual aren't a great combination, the DSG just works so much better. If you really want a manual buy a petrol powered car.

A3 was my first thought too. Driving a manual diesel doesn't sound like much fun and the DSG is one of the best transmissions on the market.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 12):
Also, what happens when prices spike? Last time it seemed that diesel went up quicker than did gasoline, but part of that was its transition from being on par with regular to being on par with premium.

To me it seems that diesel has less volatility than gasoline.

Quoting Rara (Reply 29):
I don't think that's true. Depends on your driving style, but regular driving can still get you better economy on stickshift

Ten years ago you would have been right, but now the situation has reversed itself.

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 39):
Nobody can handle that so the 5 speed manual is most common, with some 6 speeds out there that average driver really doesn't know how to master.

I'd say that among manuals, it's probably even between five and six speeds with Porsche and Chevy offering seven.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

flymia

Fri May 29, 2015 1:16 am

So...anyone own a Jetta TDI?

Family has an 2008 Jetta TDI. Hit 105k miles this past weekend on a road trip. 380 miles round trip. Still had 60+ miles in fuel left. Its a nice handling car too, has decent pick up, does well at high speeds, this trip as with most on the rural Florida highways I was cruising at 80mph. Cruise at 60mph and MPG is great.

That being said, I would look at the Passat TDI instead. Not sure what you price range is, but the Passat is a nice ride and mileage is also very good.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

EA CO AS

Fri May 29, 2015 2:14 am

Have you looked at the upcoming Toyota hydrogen fuel cell car?

http://www.toyota.com/mirai/fcv.html
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Viscount724

Fri May 29, 2015 3:06 am

So my Prius at 6 years old and 183,000 miles needs $2,500 of repairs. It's worth about $5,000. Soooo...that's a wrap.

I don't understand that. In my opinion, if a car is still in good general condition, it would still be worth spending $2,500 on repairs regardless how much it's worth. $2,500 is a lot cheaper than the cost of a new car, plus probably higher insurance costs etc.

I've only on my 4th car in 45 years and have had the last two 19 and 18 years respectively. I would only consider replacing a car if there was something serious like major corrosion issues or needing a new engine or transmission etc. I've saved a huge amount of money by fixing something when it breaks rather than eating huge depreciation expenses on new cars every few years.

It's much the same as NW flying DC-9s that were 40 years old.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fri May 29, 2015 4:12 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 58):

Have you looked at the upcoming Toyota hydrogen fuel cell car?

http://www.toyota.com/mirai/fcv.html

I haven't but:
1) Dat maintenance. Jiffy Lube probably won't want to service it. The first owners will get some sort of deal on service through Toyota, but remember, I'm in this for years and over 150,000 miles. I doubt their service agreement will get me through the life of the vehicle.

2) Lack of fuel stations. The nearest one is actually not far from my house, but in the opposite direction from work. There are no stations between my home and my office. And if I want to go on a road trip to Reno, well forget about it.

3) At present, I have some major environmental concerns about hydrogen. It's mostly extracted from methane hydrates, which contribute hugely to global warming. At such a time as we can electrolyze it from water using clean electricity, then I'll be more interested.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 59):
I don't understand that. In my opinion, if a car is still in good general condition, it would still be worth spending $2,500 on repairs regardless how much it's worth. $2,500 is a lot cheaper than the cost of a new car, plus probably higher insurance costs etc.

So pretty much every time I take it in for service anymore it's a minimum $500 bill to keep it in reliable working order. The maintenance costs are just getting too high.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

vikkyvik

Fri May 29, 2015 5:27 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 60):
So pretty much every time I take it in for service anymore it's a minimum $500 bill to keep it in reliable working order. The maintenance costs are just getting too high.

Holy christ! What all are they doing every time you take it in?

And how often do you take it in?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Kiwirob

Fri May 29, 2015 6:18 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 61):
Holy christ! What all are they doing every time you take it in?

Probably thinking gay male knows crap about cars we'll treat him like we treat a chick.

EA CO AS

Fri May 29, 2015 9:59 am

At present, I have some major environmental concerns about hydrogen.

I was going to originally suggest the (then-available in CA only) Toyota Rav4 EV (a co-worker has one and LOVES it) but go figure; it has been discontinued.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

rabenschlag

Fri May 29, 2015 10:25 am

With a new car, what is the monthly depreciation (or leasing rate)? I am with Viscount24 here. Buying a new car may be pleasant, an improvement in safety or comfort, but in many cases, it is the most costly option.

That being said, I was in a similar situation two years ago and I decided in favor of a new car. But I consider this as an economically unwise choice, but at the same time, it gave me great pleasure, and it still does, because my new car (Citroen C5 III sedan) is so much superior to my old one (BMW 5 series wagon) in almost every respect that matters to me. It is a diesel car by the way, 4 cylinders, 2.2 litre displacement, 200 HP, automatic transmission. At 75 mph on the highway with cruise control and air-condition on I get 45 mpg (US). At high Autobahn speeds (e.g., averaging 100 mph over 300 miles with top speeds of 125 mph) I get 23 mpg (US).

In your situation, I'd take a diesel VW Golf. Diesel engines are great on the highway, frugal, and comfortable to drive due to high low end torque. Compared to hybrids, the technical side is rather simple. Without the need to fit more than 2 people, the Golf is all you need. In terms of hauling stuff, it is more versatile than the Jetta.

Cheers, Rabenschlag

[Edited 2015-05-29 03:30:20]

na

Fri May 29, 2015 11:13 am

I had the opportunity to drive the brandnew small Jaguar XE, which is not with dealers yet, recently for about 40 minutes in and out of town. A car which is in the BMW 3-series ballpark, but prettier, less commonplace and more novel, yet equally competent. Fantastic car, best I have driven in this class. Perfect drivers position, quiet, very comfortable, yet sporty. With the completely new small diesel engine (ca. 160 hp) it should be an economical rocket, ideal for commuting. I drove the 200 hp engine and it felt like 250 hp. I´d choose it over a BMW 3-series, Mercedes C, or anything of that size any day, but, being an Alfista owning the equally sized 159 Sportwagon, I am going to wait an see what Alfa Romeo has on offer later this year before making any plans of my own.

Issues with your current car seem to me you still got a bit of time before repairs need to be done so I absolutely recommend to drive the XE first before you make a decision you might regret. As to reliability, Jaguars are as good as the three German premium brands anyway, or, at least there is no significant difference worth thinking about. And I say that as a Geman 

Pyrex

Fri May 29, 2015 11:58 am

Quoting na (Reply 65):
Issues with your current car seem to me you still got a bit of time before repairs need to be done so I absolutely recommend to drive the XE first before you make a decision you might regret.

The thing is, the new JLR Ingenium diesel and gasoline engines don't hit stateside until next year, at the earliest, and it is not obvious the Diesel ever will (for Jaguar, anyway). I don't think Jaguar currently offers any Diesel engines in the U.S., and although that may change when the new generation of cars/engines rolls around, don't think it is guaranteed yet. If you want a Diesel in a passenger car in the U.S. and don't want a VW or Audi (which offer a fairly extensive selection) your choices are basically a limited range of BMWs, Mercedes and Jeeps (perhaps a Land Rover or two).

BTW, Mazda has been trying to bring a Diesel Mazda 6 to the U.S., but the same trick (apparently lightweight, for a Diesel) engine they offer elsewhere apparently does not meet U.S. emissions guidelines so they are still working on it. Anyone outside the U.S. have any experience with the Mazda 2.2. Diesel, to know if it's worth waiting for it?
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

luckyone

Fri May 29, 2015 2:36 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 66):
your choices are basically a limited range of BMWs, Mercedes and Jeeps (perhaps a Land Rover or two).

No Land Rover/Range Rover currently offers diesel in the States that I'm aware of. BMW offers a nice range in the 3, 5, 7 (if you can tolerate such a terrible car), and the X3 and X5 both offer diesels. VW/Audi diesels blow them out of the water, though.

I was also thinking, Volvo just introduced a 2.0 EDrive turbo and super charged I4 in the last year or so. It gets up to 37mpg on the highway. And aside from your bedroom your hind end will never find a happier place than a Volvo seat. You can an S60 or V60 in the low-mid 30s and they come with a 7 year/100,000 mile warranty

Kiwirob

Fri May 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Quoting rabenschlag (Reply 64):

With a new car, what is the monthly depreciation (or leasing rate)? I am with Viscount24 here. Buying a new car may be pleasant, an improvement in safety or comfort, but in many cases, it is the most costly option.

Doc is a Doc, he makes a couple of hundred grand per year, he's looking at cheap cars, he's going to drive it for 200,000 miles, why buy second hand given his income and the amount of driving he intends to do?

because my new car (Citroen C5 III sedan) is so much superior to my old one (BMW 5 series wagon) in almost every respect that matters to me. It is a diesel car by the way, 4 cylinders, 2.2 litre displacement, 200 HP, automatic transmission. At 75 mph on the highway with cruise control and air-condition on I get 45 mpg (US). At high Autobahn speeds (e.g., averaging 100 mph over 300 miles with top speeds of 125 mph) I get 23 mpg (US).

Must have been a very old 5 series, because a C5 compared to the current F10 5 series is like night and day. Some friends of ours have a 2012 C5 wagon, it's a garage queen, lots of problems with the suspension.

In your situation, I'd take a diesel VW Golf.

Completely agree a Golf GTD wagon is the best choice for Doc, it's better than the Jetta, has plenty of space, his dog will fit in the back, and it's a good looking car.

http://www.wallpaperup.com/uploads/wallpapers/2015/04/16/663312/0b66e944d4b4b89c0de8f7c6a69fa481.jpg

ikramerica

Fri May 29, 2015 3:13 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 44):

I have a 6 speeds car and the rule of thumb "put it into sixth gear if you go fast" seems to allow me to "master" it.

As for your friends, it depends on driving style, where they live, etc. I live in a tow n that has a relatively flat section at about 200 feet elevation, a steep inclined area that climbs to about 1100, then a mountain valley area that ranges from 1100 to 1800. I live at 1400. Mileage around here sucks no matter what you drive. The same car if you lived in the flat area would do better. And if you put on the instant fuel economy reading on the computer it's pretty clear how even minor hills impact economy and how two people living 3 blocks away can have different results if one lives slightly up hill from the other.

In Germany the golf comes in multiple diesel versions too. This can impact things. I'm speaking more to the USA market where most cars are overpowered and most people drive an automatic barely putting their foot down.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 68):

GTD not available in USA. We only get the standard TDI. But the standard Golf SportWagon is a nice looked too.

Thing is, they waited so long to intro it here, to clear out the previous gen Jetta, there is littl stock available.

If Doc can wait the 2016 VWs will have android auto and apple car play built in. If he plans on keeping 8-10 years, having a modern system vs the perfectly usable but dated 10 year old tech head units in the 2015 is something to think about.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

mham001

Fri May 29, 2015 4:56 pm

And I'm assuming that with the single-type drivetrain, the maintenance will be a lot less complicated.

In a VW? That's a laugh.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 14):
Wonder why diesel is so much cheaper relatively speaking in SoCal? Do they hammer the price of premium?

It is just a temporary thing, the price of gas in California is very high right now from refinery problems. Of course.

Quoting BreninTW (Reply 20):
I bought myself the 2016 Mazda 6 2.2 TDI last month (April)

That engine just got slammed in the London press as a heavy emitter of Nox particles, as did most of the "clean" diesels. You are driving a heavy polluter. This is why they have continued to delay the introduction of that motor in the US market.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...ews/Environment/article1560165.ece

A Mazda6 2.2-litre turbo SkyActiv-D tested for The Sunday Times produced four times the Euro 6 maximum of 0.08 grams of NOx per kilometre overall. That rose to 12.6 times the limit when it was going uphill in residential areas with speed bumps.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 30):
Well I live in a similar shitty climate to you and don't know anyone who has had problems with DSG equiped VW's.
Some 1.6million cars and vans are to be recalled globally over problems with a gearbox which leads to a loss of power. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...de-faulty-gearbox-light-fuses.html

I am actually surprised that an environmentally conscious doctor would consider a diesel engine. Especially in the bay area since you can rarely drive far without hitting a backup. Diesels are a dying breed as Europe suddenly discovers that their diesels are quickly killing them through massive pollution in the way of tiny particulates full of heavy metals. Paris had the highest pollution levels in the world one day last month primarily due to diesels, yet Euro manufacturers and politicians have been claiming diesel as "clean" for over a decade. Now, they are preparing to ban diesel engines in some cities.

[Edited 2015-05-29 09:58:33]

rabenschlag

Fri May 29, 2015 6:19 pm

Must have been a very old 5 series, because a C5 compared to the current F10 5 series is like night and day. Some friends of ours have a 2012 C5 wagon, it's a garage queen, lots of problems with the suspension.

Thats a bit OT, but yes, it was old for sure (E39). But it was bought new, and it has been the most unreliable / maintenance intense car that I ever owned. And I only owned Citroens and Subarus before. The hydropneumatic suspension is probably one of the most reliable aspects of the C5. As for the F10 vs. C5: it certainly depends on what is important to the owner. I would never claim that the C5 is better in an absolute sense. But when it comes to my preferences, it is.

TristarAtLCA

Fri May 29, 2015 7:43 pm

I know next to nothing about US car market, but don't dealers sell ex-demonstrators?

A friend here purchased a near fully loaded 64 plate (2014 registration) VW Touraeg with only 700 miles on the clock for nearly £9k less than new sticker price with full warranty late last year.

Isn't this an option? Or do you have to have a new car?
If you was right..................I'd agree with you

Kiwirob

Fri May 29, 2015 7:55 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 70):

In a VW? That's a laugh.

You know this because you owned one or just hearsay? It's interesting VW has issues in the US but I've never met anyone with issues in Norway. VW is the most popular brand here.

Quoting mham001 (Reply 70):
Some 1.6million cars and vans are to be recalled globally over problems with a gearbox which leads to a loss of power.

So, most brands have recalls, some run into the millions, some 30 odd million cars are having their airbags recalled.

diverted

Fri May 29, 2015 10:40 pm

+1 on a Golf or A3 TDI

Though...Doctor in the Bay area...first car that comes to mind is a Tesla Model S.

pvjin

Fri May 29, 2015 11:20 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 73):
You know this because you owned one or just hearsay? It's interesting VW has issues in the US but I've never met anyone with issues in Norway. VW is the most popular brand here.

That's very strange, VW's reliability issues and their poor customer service attitude regarding these design faults are quite well known in Finland and Sweden:

https://www.motormannen.se/nyheter/nyheter-2015/motormannen-varnar-vw-tar-inte-ansvar-for-trasiga-kamkedjor/

Sure, VW and its cheap brands are the most popular around here too, but at least by now most people have realized that they are no match to Toyota and Honda in terms of reliability. Sure these manufacturers do get an occasional recall, the problem is that VW never recalled their faulty designs and forced the customers to pay for these clear design faults.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

EA CO AS

Fri May 29, 2015 11:51 pm

Quoting diverted (Reply 74):
first car that comes to mind is a Tesla Model S.

And you can purchase them as certified pre-owned for about $60K. It's a compelling proposition at that price point.

Flighty

Sat May 30, 2015 12:10 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 76):
And you can purchase them as certified pre-owned for about $60K. It's a compelling proposition at that price point.

Really. I have a family member who would be very interested.

Pyrex

Sat May 30, 2015 12:50 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 67):
I was also thinking, Volvo just introduced a 2.0 EDrive turbo and super charged I4 in the last year or so. It gets up to 37mpg on the highway

That is gasoline, though. Unfortunately that engine is only available on the FWD version - I am actually thinking of buying a V60 but since I want the 4WD version I would have to go for the T5. For the amount I drive the extra fuel consumption is not a critical issue, but that engine is getting up there in age so I might lease instead of buy (so I can replace it with a newer version in three years time).

And aside from your bedroom your hind end will never find a happier place than a Volvo seat.

I sat on the R-Line V60 (with the sports seats) on the NY Auto Show. I think if I had to pick between my own bed and those seats, I would pick those seats. Frankly, that is what swayed my decision towards the Volvo - at one point my girlfriend and me basically locked ourselves inside the Volvo on display and just sat there doing nothing, other auto show attendees be damned.

You can an S60 or V60 in the low-mid 30s and they come with a 7 year/100,000 mile warranty

A V60 with a decent level of equipment will be in the low to mid-40s, though (MSRP, anyway - you may get it lower than that). And I think their powertrain warranty is only 4 years or 50,000 miles.

diverted

Sat May 30, 2015 3:03 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 77):
Really. I have a family member who would be very interested.

4 year, 50,000mile warranty

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/preowned

kaneporta1

Sat May 30, 2015 4:00 am

I have owned and been driving a VW Golf TDI since 2011 so here are some observations about the car. The Jetta TDI should be fairly similar so I think this post will give you a good idea.

First and foremost, after 4 years and 50000 miles I now get 45-50mpg. My daily commute is 40 miles each way (80 total) and it is 70% highway 30% city. But be aware that a TDI engine takes about 50000 miles to reach its peak efficiency. So you will probably start at 35-40mpg and gradually see the economy improve.
The turbo kicks in at 1950rpm and on the highway, on 6th gear, 65mph is just over 1800rpm and 70mph is just over 1900rpm. Keep the turbo off and the mpg will stay high.

I am also reasonably puzzled by some people claiming a manual gearbox is not for this car. On the highway, cruising at 70mph on 6th gear, it makes no difference whether it's manual or DSG, although the DSG carries about 80 more lbs of weight.
The manual gearbox is, I believe, a very personal choice and depends on your driving style. I make use of that extra control of my car 110% when driving and I wouldn't have it any other way. FYI, I test drove the TDI with DSG and before that, I owned the 2.5 VW Rabbit with an automatic (not DSG) gearbox. I just hated it. Nothing like the ability to cut in slower traffic, downshifting from 6th to 2nd going from 70mph to 30mph, without even touching the brakes! The clutch is a bit on the harder side but again, I prefer it that way. But back to topic, the DSG was amazing when accelerating but when slowing down it felt like it would just go to neutral and let the car roll. So to summarize, Golf TDI plus manual gearbox is the way to go!

Some additional remarks about the car: I live in Montreal and in the winter my car stays outside while I'm at work, at temperatures as low as -30C. Never had a problem with the cold weather. Over 4 years, the only issue I had was some problem with the intercooler, that was repaired under warranty. service at the dealership is quite expensive at around $400 per year, but now that the warranty has expired, I will take it to a cheaper shop. And finally, at 6'3, if I push the seat all the way back and all the way down, my feet don't even reach the pedals and my head is about 5 inches from the ceiling. So it's fine for taller drivers.

I can't tell if for the OP's case a TDI would be the right choice and I can't compare it to other cars that I have not driven, but I hope this was some helpful information.
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming, like his passengers

mham001

Sat May 30, 2015 4:10 am

I have owned 20-30 VW's over the years, mostly buying and selling. He is buying a US market car, not in Norway, where they happen to be perennial bottom dwellers in the reliability and dealer satisfaction surveys. VW has mismanaged North America in many, many ways, sales here have been in long steady decline during a period of strong growth.

A lot of that has to do with stubborn German arrogance. I've been put off by their insistence on pushing "clean" diesel, even lobbying against electrification in the US government. They try to push us into another oil fuel that does little actual good towards foreign oil imports and turns out, is filthy. As if the Germans were paying to keep the oil markets working anyway. The US market has spoken pretty clear, VW diesel sales are down ~30% this year.

So, most brands have recalls, some run into the millions, some 30 odd million cars are having their airbags recalled.

It was more interesting that you didn't know about the world-wide recall of VW DSG transmissions. I expected a person who speaks with such authority to have better knowledge of the auto industry.

Kaphias

Sat May 30, 2015 8:03 am

You want cheap, reliable, extremely fuel efficient, manual transmission. Easy.
How about a first-gen Honda Insight:

It ticks all the boxes... except for size, safety, and... that new car smell.

Aesma

Sat May 30, 2015 10:27 am

Being French driving diesel cars and manual cars is pretty much a given, in fact we learn to drive on that combination.

The only reason people drive diesel cars is because diesel fuel is taxed less than gas. If it was as in the US, then only people driving a lot would buy them, and then maybe not even, since your gas is cheap like water compared to what we pay.

Not having access to an electric outlet is really a shame as a plug-in hybrid/long distance electric car would be ideal for you. I would still take an hybrid though, especially now that BMW is making a 3 series one, but it's for next year (and I'm not a doctor).

Do you get 3 cylinder gas engines in the US, or not yet ? I read great things about the Peugeot 308 SW 1.2 e-THP130 for example, but of course you don't get that.

Instead of banning diesel cars, what will happen is that taxes will be equalized between gas and diesel fuel, something that is already written in the European rules, and people will buy cars on their merits. With Euro6 small diesel cars already don't make sense anymore, for example the new Renault Twingo (and its sibling the new Smart ForFour) doesn't offer a diesel engine, when previous versions did.

I used to think that higher end manufacturers could make diesel engines bearable, but since then I've ridden in an uncle's VW Touareg V10 TDI, and that still felt like a farm tractor engine. The Cayenne hybrid that replaced it is much more to my liking.

Back to the hybrid, can't you buy/rent a garage with an electric plug ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

luckyone

Sat May 30, 2015 12:03 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 78):

That is gasoline, though. Unfortunately that engine is only available on the FWD version - I am actually thinking of buying a V60 but since I want the 4WD version I would have to go for the T5. For the amount I drive the extra fuel consumption is not a critical issue, but that engine is getting up there in age so I might lease instead of buy (so I can replace it with a newer version in three years time).

Living in the Bay Area, and using the car mostly for commuting wouldn't warrant AWD. As for the 5-pot, it's a proven engine.

And I think their powertrain warranty is only 4 years or 50,000 miles.

My dealer is advertising 7/100,000. So it could be something unique to them.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 83):
Do you get 3 cylinder gas engines in the US, or not yet ? I read great things about the Peugeot 308 SW 1.2 e-THP130 for example, but of course you don't get that.

We used to have some back in the 80s and 90s, but they were reviewed terribly and were strictly seen as a bare-bones option--only seeing application in cars such as the Geo Metro or Suzuki Swift. We have at least one option on the Ford Fiesta, but it's actually more expensive than the base four. Mitsubishi sells a mirage with 3 cylinders, and I believe the Mini Cooper does as well. Volvo is designing 3 pots that they say will be here by the end of the decade.

I read great things about the Peugeot 308 SW 1.2 e-THP130 for example, but of course you don't get that.

It doesn't look like that's going to chance any time soon either. If (and that's a big if) we get a French car it will be a Renault through its Nissan partner.

Doc is a Doc, he makes a couple of hundred grand per year, he's looking at cheap cars, he's going to drive it for 200,000 miles, why buy second hand given his income and the amount of driving he intends to do?

Just because one purportedly makes a certain income doesn't mean that a) they actually take that home after student loan payments and b) that they would be smart to spend it how someone else sees fit.

jetwet1

Sat May 30, 2015 12:20 pm

So...anyone own a Jetta TDI? Highway mileage is like a hybrid. I'd get a manual trans, of course (I can't even tell you how excited I am about that). It's a good 15% less than an equivalent hybrid. And I'm assuming that with the single-type drivetrain, the maintenance will be a lot less complicated.

I've driven the Euro version, 50+MPG mostly on the M25/M3 in the UK

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 11):
BTW unless you are a professional driver the automatic will get better economy than the manual TDI. And VW auto has standard Drive and Sport mode that really makes a difference. In D, efficiency is s priority. Drop it into S and the drivetrain is transformed.

Agreed, also, put it in D when on the freeway, once on surface street push it to the right and it's in manual mode.

Quoting melpax (Reply 25):
Same situation here with the DSG's, VW got themselves into a bit of strife here last year over DSG issues. Wouldn't want to own one outside of warranty.

I own 3 VW's with them, not a single problem with any of them, gearbox or the rest of the car.

Quoting planewasted (Reply 35):
The solution for the timing chains was to change to timing belts instead. Strange that Toyota's timing chains works without problems in cheap cars.

From what I have been reading, the issue itself isn't the chain, it was the plastic tension pulley they used, typical to build a nice expensive car and then use a 30 cent piece to mess it up....Thankfully unlike the V8's the 4's are pretty easy to work on.

I tend to grab cars that are around 6 months old, low miles and save a chunk of $$$$$

Quoting diverted (Reply 74):
Though...Doctor in the Bay area...first car that comes to mind is a Tesla Model S.

2-3 times the price, the Model 3, different story, but the wait list is already pretty long and that's just for people that can get on the list, the general public can't yet.

I sat on the R-Line V60 (with the sports seats) on the NY Auto Show. I think if I had to pick between my own bed and those seats, I would pick those seats.

110% agree, before our VW's we had a S60R, those seats were amazing, frankly, Volvo should just go into the seat business.

Quoting kaneporta1 (Reply 80):
I am also reasonably puzzled by some people claiming a manual gearbox is not for this car. On the highway, cruising at 70mph on 6th gear, it makes no difference whether it's manual or DSG, although the DSG carries about 80 more lbs of weight.

California traffic

Quoting mham001 (Reply 81):
He is buying a US market car, not in Norway, where they happen to be perennial bottom dwellers in the reliability and dealer satisfaction surveys.

Again, I have 3 VW's, not a single problem. My dealer is fantastic, i'm not doubting the issues, i've heard to many reports of them, but I guess i've been lucky.

luckyone

Sat May 30, 2015 12:31 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 85):
I've driven the Euro version, 50+MPG mostly on the M25/M3 in the UK

Keep in mind UK gallons are larger than US gallons (1 imperial gallon = 1.2 US gallons). 50 MPG in the UK is going to be about 41 in the US. Still nothing to sneeze at.

ikramerica

Sat May 30, 2015 2:33 pm

I find tiptronic frustrating because you MUST go 1-2-3-4-5-6 and 6-5-4-3-2-1, and the only way to be sure the gear you are in is to look at the dash indicator. That's not very stick like. You can't drive by feel.

I find putting it in S good enough. It holds gears in curves and as you decel, it keeps it in the power and kicks down quickly when you accelerate. Unless you are on a twisty two lane, you don't need manumatic on vw

Pyrex

Sat May 30, 2015 3:00 pm

110% agree, before our VW's we had a S60R, those seats were amazing, frankly, Volvo should just go into the seat business.

Which reminds me, if I just show up at the parts counter of a Volvo dealership and try to just buy a couple of those seats to put in my living room, would they sell them to me? Would save me $30K...

Revelation

Sat May 30, 2015 3:10 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 87):
I find tiptronic frustrating because you MUST go 1-2-3-4-5-6 and 6-5-4-3-2-1, and the only way to be sure the gear you are in is to look at the dash indicator. That's not very stick like. You can't drive by feel.

To me the disappointment was when I first used tiptronic to downshift to slow down for a highway exit. It didn't slow down much if at all compared to downshifting a manual transmission.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 88):
Which reminds me, if I just show up at the parts counter of a Volvo dealership and try to just buy a couple of those seats to put in my living room, would they sell them to me?

Much cheaper to go to a breaker's yard, no?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Pyrex

Sat May 30, 2015 3:28 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 89):
Much cheaper to go to a breaker's yard, no?

Well, I did hear a guy once say he didn't feel he would be getting his money's worth if he bought a modern Volvo with all the safety doo-dads and NOT crash it into a ditch, so perhaps if there are other people out there thinking like him I can find myself some cheap seats there. 

Dano1977

Sat May 30, 2015 3:35 pm

How about one of these   and its a diesel too, and does 50mpg on highway driving.

http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/pan.../panamera-diesel/featuresandspecs/
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

mham001

Sat May 30, 2015 6:31 pm

Ford has been selling a 1.0 for about a year in the Fiesta..

vikkyvik

Sat May 30, 2015 8:00 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 87):I find tiptronic frustrating because you MUST go 1-2-3-4-5-6 and 6-5-4-3-2-1, and the only way to be sure the gear you are in is to look at the dash indicator. That's not very stick like. You can't drive by feel. To me the disappointment was when I first used tiptronic to downshift to slow down for a highway exit. It didn't slow down much if at all compared to downshifting a manual transmission.

I've found that shifting manually in an otherwise automatic transmission car gives supremely varied results. Ultimately, it seems that the transmission and engine take a guess at what you want to do, and that guess is correct maybe 60% of the time, which is not good enough for me.

Then again, most of my experience in that has been in various rental cars, and my parents' Ford Fusion. Nothing built for performance, exactly.

My last rental (a Toyota Camry  ) did the following. I would shift down into 2 for some engine braking. Sometimes it would do what I asked for. Other times it would maintain rev the engine up to the RPM for the current speed in 2, and maintain the current RPM / speed at what it already was (without me pressing down on the accelerator at all). I'd just sit there and think "what are you doing, silly computer?"

ikramerica

Sat May 30, 2015 8:21 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 92):

There are a few 3 cylinders in the USA but not many. Mitsubishi has one.

Pyrex

Sat May 30, 2015 8:30 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 94):

Yes, but hitch-hiking in sleazy truck-stops in exchange for handjobs is a preferable alternative to moving around the U.S. than driving a Mitsubishi Mirage (probably the worst new car on sale in the country).

ikramerica

Sat May 30, 2015 8:50 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 95):

No doubt. When finding a car for wife's mom we never even tested the mirage. Looked at it, laughed and tested the fit and mazda2. Chose the 2. She loves it.

Aesma

Sat May 30, 2015 8:59 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 92):
Ford has been selling a 1.0 for about a year in the Fiesta..
Quoting ikramerica (Reply 94):

Only on small cars, then.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Ken777

Sat May 30, 2015 10:21 pm

The only reason people drive diesel cars is because diesel fuel is taxed less than gas.

takes love to tax diesel fuel because most of the sales are to the big rigs passing through the state with freight - not your basic voters. Lets them grab the cash without getting the voters mad at them.

jetwet1

Sat May 30, 2015 11:13 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 87):

hmmm. if I want to drop say 2 gears, I just hit the lever twice, not really a big deal, but yes, every now and again I do lose which gear I am in.

To me the disappointment was when I first used tiptronic to downshift to slow down for a highway exit. It didn't slow down much if at all compared to downshifting a manual transmission.

Funny, yes to this in my Tiguan, but the CC it is noticeable, much more like a manual. If you really want to feel like a stick though, talk to the folks at APR, mine will be heading there once i'm out of warranty.