Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KirkSeattle
Topic Author

Price Gouging - Rental Car Return (MCO)

Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:39 am

It happened to me a few years ago, returning a car to MCO (I was visiting MLB about a little over an hour away). I took the Airport exit and went north on Semoran Blvd. Suncoast Energy at 5928 Bulter National Drive was really expensive, almost double the average price. Screwing over those returning rental cars.

This time, I filled up in MLB, and took the 520 bypass which was 62.2 miles to MCO. I drove the speed limit (easy to speed). As I approached the airport, my digital gas gauge was at full, low and behold, as I approached the car rental return in Terminal B, it dropped to the next level. I head out the North Exit of the Airport, and as time is short, I stopped by this place again. Okay, so it cost me $10. 45 for 1.74 gallons of gas ( $5.95 a gallon). My fault, I know, but what a sour taste this leaves in those visiting the Orlando area. I should have researched another station, but didn't see any. Perhaps further North on Semoran Blvd would have been a success. Man, I was pissed. Average gas in MLB was about $2.70.

Side note, passing MLB I saw 4 Transaero 747's! I know they do maintenance there. Funny seeing them there against the DL CRJ's (I didn't see any MD88's on the airfield at the time). Doesn't make up for the gas prices.

Have you been gouged on gas near the airport during a car rental return? I expect it to be higher, but double???

Cheers,
KirkSeattle

LittleFokker

RE: Price Gouging - Rental Car Return (MCO)

Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:25 am

Actually, in MCO, my biggest beef with the rental car business is that all the highways in and out of the airport are toll roads. Orlando is the biggest rental car market in the USA, and you give a giant middle finger to your visitors by not providing a free road option out of the airport? Toll roads are 20 times more of a hassle in a rental car because of the ever increasing cashless toll exits and on ramps, plus the fees that the rental car company tacks on top of that. That's just ridiculous.

But back on gas prices, even the gas stations near the airport know when they are popular with rental car returners. On JFK Boulevard approaching IAH from the south, there are two gas stations at the corner of JFK Blvd and Greens road, both gas stations on the southerly corners of the intersection. JFK Blvd is a divided road, and since they figure most people are either too lazy, didn't observe the other side of the road, or just don't have the time to flip a U-turn, the gas station on the southeast corner typically charges about 20 cents/gallon more than the southwest corner gas station. Rental car companies have always charged about 4 to 5 times market rate to take advantage of the customers who neglect to mind their fuel upon return.

If you know you will use at least a full tank of gas during your stay, it might be worthwhile to go ahead and buy a tank from the car company - they usually charge slightly less than current market value, and you don't have to worry about bringing it back full.

[Edited 2015-05-31 19:28:38]
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

planeguy727

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:00 pm

About 2 minutes north of that gas station is a Wawa. Tuesday of last week I paid $2 something at Wawa instead of nearly $5 a gal at the other. Both are located on the s-bound side.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

dfwjim1

Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:53 pm

I usually full up about 15 miles away from the airport and really top off the tank.

jetwet1

Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:08 pm

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 2):
About 2 minutes north of that gas station is a Wawa.

Beat me to it, there are a lot of choices on your way into MCO.

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 1):
Actually, in MCO, my biggest beef with the rental car business is that all the highways in and out of the airport are toll roads.

No kidding, I hate MCO as it is, unless I really need to go through there, we now use Daytona every chance we get.

DfwRevolution

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:16 pm

Quoting KirkSeattle (Thread starter):
This time, I filled up in MLB, and took the 520 bypass which was 62.2 miles to MCO. I drove the speed limit (easy to speed). As I approached the airport, my digital gas gauge was at full, low and behold, as I approached the car rental return in Terminal B, it dropped to the next level. I head out the North Exit of the Airport, and as time is short, I stopped by this place again. Okay, so it cost me $10. 45 for 1.74 gallons of gas ( $5.95 a gallon). My fault, I know, but what a sour taste this leaves in those visiting the Orlando area. I should have researched another station, but didn't see any. Perhaps further North on Semoran Blvd would have been a success. Man, I was pissed. Average gas in MLB was about $2.70.

So you were morally comfortable scamming the rental car company by returning a car as "full" after driving it an hour, but you are morally outraged at falling victim to high prices in areas of high demand. Sounds like karma.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

N1120A

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:05 pm

That gas station at MCO is infamous. As mentioned, there is at least one other place charging market rates for gas, just a couple minutes away.

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 5):
So you were morally comfortable scamming the rental car company by returning a car as "full" after driving it an hour, but you are morally outraged at falling victim to high prices in areas of high demand. Sounds like karma.

Sounds like smart economics. When you pick up the car from the rental agency, it isn't full either.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

DfwRevolution

Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 6):
Sounds like smart economics. When you pick up the car from the rental agency, it isn't full either.

I'm not saying that I haven't done the same. But, you really can't claim moral superiority because the gas stations aren't playing square while you aren't playing square.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

Maverick623

Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:41 pm

Quoting KirkSeattle (Thread starter):
62.2 miles to MCO.

Assuming the car you had gets about 350 miles per tank, 60 miles is just over 1/8.

Frankly, between that and the failure to bother to research any other gas stations by MCO makes you being "gouged" mostly your fault.

When you pick up the car from the rental agency, it isn't full either.

That makes no sense. You return the car at the fuel level you were given it, unless you prepay for a tank, and then bring it back as close to empty as possible (the below-market cost is of prepaying is made up by the fact that it is impossible to use a full tank of gas).

That gas station at MCO is infamous. As mentioned, there is at least one other place charging market rates for gas, just a couple minutes away.

Agreed. As I said, the OP really needs to think a little harder next time.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

casinterest

Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:44 pm

So you were morally comfortable scamming the rental car company by returning a car as "full" after driving it an hour, but you are morally outraged at falling victim to high prices in areas of high demand. Sounds like karma

No his outrage is actually real. This gas station is the readily apparent go to in MCO, and they know it.
In the future please use

http://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap

This site and app will save you money at MCO.
Where ever you go, there you are.

N1120A

Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:57 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 7):
I'm not saying that I haven't done the same. But, you really can't claim moral superiority because the gas stations aren't playing square while you aren't playing square.

Except that you are playing square. The rule is to return the car at the same gauge level you rented at. There are a couple times I've gotten a car with half a tank and returned it as such. Unless you run a test on the tank, you don't actually know the exact level it was at when you received it. So the rule is to have the needle at the same place.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 8):
That makes no sense.

Actually, it makes total sense. At a minimum, the car will have had the gas used from the last renter returning it and the gas used to stage the car back to the rental area. The car will also likely have been driven to a washing facility around the airport, using more gas. Also, the previous person might have used a gas station farther away, so that factors in. Either way, the car isn't actually full.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 9):

Gasbuddy will save you, indeed.

offloaded

Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:45 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 10):
the car isn't actually full.

Ok, but when is a car actually FULL? After the first click (when the pump shuts off) on mine, the gauge is showing full, but I can get another €6/7 in the tank which is probably about a US gal. I understand what you're saying, but these days I tend to pre pay the tank because I just don't want the hassle of refueling. I may be running late due to traffic, if I don't know the area I may be unsure of where the nearest/cheapest place is, or like last week when the tanker was unloading and the whole gas station was coned off. And I'm a past master of returning a vehicle on fumes, much to the irritation of the Mrs.  
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

Silver1SWA

Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:36 pm

I travel to Orlando frequently and I'll never forget the first time I stopped to fill up at that gas station. I didn't even notice the price (back then it was $8 a gallon!) until I went to insert my card. I was shocked, and then a guy at the pump across from me asked, is this for real?? I got right back in the car and drove down two more blocks to the Wawa where I paid a normal price. Seriously, you can practically see the Wawa from that gas station! How anyone falls for it...oh well.

On my trip last month the agent at the rental car counter actually warned me about that gas station. He said they get fined for it every month but I guess it's just worth it to them to keep paying.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Osubuckeyes

Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:42 pm

You return the car at the fuel level you were given it, unless you prepay for a tank, and then bring it back as close to empty as possible (the below-market cost is of prepaying is made up by the fact that it is impossible to use a full tank of gas).

Returned a Civic over Memorial Day weekend with 5 miles left on the range after prepaying. So Close!

Yes, Gasbuddy is really awesome. Definitely was paying 10-20% more for gas before using that app.

KirkSeattle
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:59 am

Sounds like karma.
Frankly, between that and the failure to bother to research any other gas stations by MCO makes you being "gouged" mostly your fault.

I admit it, absolutely it's my fault. I already acknowledged about the station that charged double. But to say I'm a scammer, I think that's pretty harsh. I was working it, but scamming? There are worst out there - consumers and businesses.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap

Thanks for the helpful hint. I forgot about them.

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 2):
About 2 minutes north of that gas station is a Wawa.

Thank you for the helpful advice. I appreciate it.

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 12):
I didn't even notice the price (back then it was $8 a gallon!) until I went to insert my card. I was shocked, and then a guy at the pump across from me asked, is this for real??

As I indicated, time was a little tight, and I dreaded it. There was no price displayed on the road or when pulling up. It was at the pump.

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 13):
Returned a Civic over Memorial Day weekend with 5 miles left on the range after prepaying.

Based on this last trip, that's what I will do.

Thanks all for the advice, criticism and feedback.

Cheers,
KirkSeattle

N1120A

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:05 am

Quoting offloaded (Reply 11):
Ok, but when is a car actually FULL? After the first click (when the pump shuts off) on mine, the gauge is showing full, but I can get another €6/7 in the tank which is probably about a US gal.

That is called topping off, and it isn't safe or required. When the pump shuts off, the tank is full and there is some fuel in the line as well.

Quoting offloaded (Reply 11):
I understand what you're saying, but these days I tend to pre pay the tank because I just don't want the hassle of refueling.

Pre pay is almost always a rip off.

KirkSeattle
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:10 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 15):
Pre pay is almost always a rip off.

I agree, depending upon your trip. Definitely for business trips. This vacation trip, it would have been as I only used a half of a tank. Wawa in the future. Heading down in a month again.

Cheers,
KirkSeattle.

CplKlinger

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:39 pm

When I was in MCO first part of April, I stopped at the Super Stop on Narcoossee (exit 13 on the Beachline). Wasn't any worse than anywhere else. I just remembered that it had to be within 10 miles of the airport and I knew that the closer you go the crazier the prices would be.