Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

29erUSA187
Topic Author

Out Of State Driving Laws

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:09 am

Hello all,
I am a newly licensed 16 year old, who resides and drives in California. The rules here are strict. I cannot drive anyone, family included, unless I have a licensed adult over 25 years old in the passenger seat, until 1 year after license issue. This summer I will be spending time in BOS with family, and I would love to be able to drive around with my cousin (unlicensed) and drive myself to Logan to go spotting.

Does anyone know if I obey Massachusetts laws while driving there as a CA driver, or do I have to obey my home state's laws.

Jetsgo

RE: Out Of State Driving Laws

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:57 am

I believe you will be subject to MA laws unless your CA license has the restriction printed on it ie corrective lenses. Growing up outside of SMF, I remember the law changing halfway through my junior year of high school and some friends getting 6 month restrictions and other less fortunate ones getting the full 12 month restriction. Now you've got me running off to YouTube to watch Will Ferrell's SNL clip about my first car, the Dodge Stratus.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

jetwet1

Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:42 am

You will be subject to Mass laws, which is pretty similar to Cal law, Google Class D Junior Operator License.

Do some serious research though, it's your duty to know the laws, telling the officer that according to an internet message board these are the laws will not carry much weight.

rugger

Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:33 pm

The law for which state you are physically located in takes precedence over the laws of the state the license was issued in. For example, in New York state you must be 18 to drive a car. If you are younger than that and have a license from your home state, New York will not recognize it until you are 18.

It always pays to check first.

rwessel

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:46 pm

Quoting Rugger (Reply 3):
he law for which state you are physically located in takes precedence over the laws of the state the license was issued in. For example, in New York state you must be 18 to drive a car. If you are younger than that and have a license from your home state, New York will not recognize it until you are 18.

16, actually.

http://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/drive-new-york-state

Although they do point out that even if you if you have a permit or license from another state, you must still be 16 to drive in NY.

N1120A

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:02 pm

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Thread starter):
I am a newly licensed 16 year old, who resides and drives in California. The rules here are strict. I cannot drive anyone, family included, unless I have a licensed adult over 25 years old in the passenger seat, until 1 year after license issue.

Sad that they did that.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

OA412

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:24 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 5):
Sad that they did that.

Why? It's a perfectly reasonable restriction for someone who is still remarkably immature. I look back to when I was a teenager and can't believe how stupid we all were to pile into cars with an incredibly inexperienced driver and go long distances. I'm all for raising the legal driving age.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

N1120A

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:26 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 6):
Why? It's a perfectly reasonable restriction for someone who is still remarkably immature

Funny, I got my license in California, at 16, didn't have said restrictions, and was just fine.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 6):
I'm all for raising the legal driving age.

That can create major economic hardships in places like the US.

Maverick623

Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:27 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 6):
I look back to when I was a teenager and can't believe how stupid we all were to pile into cars with an incredibly inexperienced driver and go long distances.

Or any distance, for that matter.

I've seen first hand what happens when you get some dumb kid with a souped up car. Strangely enough, it was the guy that got thrown out the back window that walked away with nothing more than a few scrapes.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 6):
I'm all for raising the legal driving age.

Restrictions

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):

That can create major economic hardships in places like the US.

The US is huge. Not being able to drive in NY or LA is far different than not being able to drive in Wyoming.

But you are correct: which is why states like Wyoming (and a few others) allow for so-called "hardship" licenses, where it is possible for a 14 year old to drive (with restrictions).
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

N1120A

Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 8):
The US is huge. Not being able to drive in NY or LA is far different than not being able to drive in Wyoming.

I'm aware of how large the US is. Not being able to drive in NYC is one thing, but even people living in suburban areas of major cities have a need for cars.

casinterest

Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:42 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 6):
I look back to when I was a teenager and can't believe how stupid we all were to pile into cars with an incredibly inexperienced driver and go long distances. I'm all for raising the legal driving age.

However, those same lessons learned with the inexperienced driver, made the driver more experienced. There were many stupid issues that occurred during youth, but I needed a license at 16 to attend college level courses and do delivery work. Raising the age is not the answer. The restrictions are a better answer as they limit the impact to others or force more experienced drivers to be present.
If we raise the mandatory age, we are only pushing the age higher to find an experienced driver to help impart knowledge.
Where ever you go, there you are.

N1120A

Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:00 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 10):
However, those same lessons learned with the inexperienced driver, made the driver more experienced.

Exactly

Gemuser

Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:17 am

Quoting rwessel (Reply 4):
Although they do point out that even if you if you have a permit or license from another state, you must still be 16 to drive in NY.

So nobody has sued NY state under the "full faith & credence" section of the US constitution?

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

Ken777

Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:39 am

Sad that they did that.

Not really. There are benefits to having an experienced driver to provide the benefit of their experience. Maybe a compromise where the year starts at 15 and a half.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 10):
The restrictions are a better answer as they limit the impact to others or force more experienced drivers to be present.

I like the old Aussie system. There needs to be a Learner's Plate (a big "L") when the learner is driving, then a Provisional plate (a large "P") for a year after getting a license. The plates lets everyone know who is driving and also sets limits on the driving itself. Pretty difficult to break those limits when everyone can see those large plates.

DocLightning

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 6):
Why? It's a perfectly reasonable restriction for someone who is still remarkably immature. I look back to when I was a teenager and can't believe how stupid we all were to pile into cars with an incredibly inexperienced driver and go long distances. I'm all for raising the legal driving age.

Where I grew up, being younger than 16 was like not having legs. Things were too far apart for walking or biking. The nearest store was three miles away and our street was hilly and had no sidewalk, so cars would come whipping around curves and it wasn't safe to be on a bike or walking.

We carpooled to swim practice (we had to be standing over our lanes at 6AM) and home. The older swimmers picked up the younger ones. We carpooled to our jobs. The kids who could drive helped those who couldn't.

The restrictions on driving with others in the car happened after I turned 18 but I remember wondering how we (and our parents) would have managed without having the help of our friends.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

casinterest

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:39 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 13):

I like the old Aussie system. There needs to be a Learner's Plate (a big "L") when the learner is driving, then a Provisional plate (a large "P") for a year after getting a license. The plates lets everyone know who is driving and also sets limits on the driving itself. Pretty difficult to break those limits when everyone can see those large plates.

That doesn't work to well when the kid is borrowing the parents car, also the L and the P don't really do anything but make the learner a target for aggressive drivers.

Gemuser

Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:14 am

Quoting casinterest (Reply 15):

That doesn't work to well when the kid is borrowing the parents car

Wrong, they put them on the parents car! How simple! In the first two years after you get your license no P-plate on car, you are an unlicensed driver.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 15):
the L and the P don't really do anything but make the learner a target for aggressive drivers.

Really! I find that surprising, but as refuse to drive in counties that drive on the wrong side of the road, I wouldn't know. In Australia it does not generally, work that way (we have our nuts too), in fact most people become extra cautious when they see a L/P plate and expect bad driving around them.

BTW Ken777, its now 2 years on P-Plates. For the first year after you get your license its a red P, the second year its a green P. (At least in NSW, not sure about other states)

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

casinterest

Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Quoting gemuser (Reply 16):

Wrong, they put them on the parents car! How simple! In the first two years after you get your license no P-plate on car, you are an unlicensed driver.

No, if you get a license, you are a licensed driver. P plates serve negligible use. I would much prefer a detector that lit the car up in Neon if the driver was using their cell phone.

Gemuser

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:19 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 17):

No, if you get a license, you are a licensed driver.

Under NSW law if caught driving on a P licence without the correct P plate displayed you are an unlicensed driver and charged as such, as displaying the correct P plate is a condition of the validity of the license.

I am all in favour of the system as it gives other drivers fair warning that the P plate driver is inexperienced, so expect beginners mistakes. We have had such a system for over 40 years and it seem to work well, of course no system is perfect, we still have idiots who get behind the wheel of a car.

Gemuser

rugger

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:25 pm

Quoting rwessel (Reply 4):

They must have changed that law at one time or another. My cousin got a ticket for driving in NY State when he was 17 and had an Iliinois drivers license. The cop told him you had to be 18. But that was 20 years ago.

N1120A

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:51 am

Quoting gemuser (Reply 12):
So nobody has sued NY state under the "full faith & credence" section of the US constitution?

Full faith and credit. Also, doesn't apply in this situation.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 13):
Not really. There are benefits to having an experienced driver to provide the benefit of their experience. Maybe a compromise where the year starts at 15 and a half.

That is what a learner's permit is for.

Gemuser

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:15 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):
Full faith and credit. Also, doesn't apply in this situation.

Can you explain why not, please? From a strait reading of your constitution it would seem to.

Gemuser

Tugger

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:13 pm

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Thread starter):
I am a newly licensed 16 year old, who resides and drives in California. The rules here are strict. I cannot drive anyone, family included, unless I have a licensed adult over 25 years old in the passenger seat, until 1 year after license issue.

Sad that they did that.

They are simply requiring a learning-driver to be with an experienced driver if there is to be more than just the learning-driver in the vehicle. The risks with a permit holding driver are enough to not have them compounded with additional less experienced people along to "encourage" potentially unwise behavior.

Quoting gemuser (Reply 21):
an you explain why not, please? From a strait reading of your constitution it would seem to.

Driving is not a right.

This is a similar issue as is being debated regarding same-sex marriage, does the issue at hand rise to a level where the full faith and credit clause is required to be invoked? And then you through in the fact that minors have always been treated differently under the law than adults.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

seb146

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:36 am

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 1):
I believe you will be subject to MA laws

One is subject to the laws of the state that one is in at the time.

For example: I live in California and have a valid California license. When I drive to Washington state to visit my mom, some parts of Oregon are still only 55MPH where California is up to 70MPH. So, in downtown Portland, were the speed limit is only 55MPH, I would NOT be able to legally go 70MPH because of my California license.

Quoting Tugger (Reply 22):
Driving is not a right.

This is a similar issue as is being debated regarding same-sex marriage,

Not even close to the same thing. A state issued contract signed between two consenting adults is not the same thing as a piece of plastic giving people the legal right to maneuver a death machine.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

fr8mech

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:01 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 23):
A state issued contract signed between two consenting adults is not the same thing as a piece of plastic giving people the legal right to maneuver a death machine

I think you'll find that it is fairly similar. You can also throw in the CCW Reciprocity issue.

Why is a license issued in one state, not valid in another?

Though, I do agree with Tugger, that the drivers' license issue has more to do with the age of those restricted than anything else.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

LFutia

Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:52 am

I had to wait until 18 to get my license and Illinois is strict state as well. I dont think 16 yr olds should be on the road. Especially on the highway. I see way too much stupid shit out there as it is, slow drivers or people that think they are cool because they have a nice car and can go super fast and cut others off.

Raise the age to 18.

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

seb146

Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:00 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 24):
the drivers' license issue has more to do with the age of those restricted than anything else.

Right. Which invalidates:

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 24):
I think you'll find that it is fairly similar.

Two consenting adults signing a state issued contract is nowhere near the same.

Mowing down 20 people at a farmer's market with a Chevrolet vs. getting to take the married head of household deduction on the 1040. Apples and Play doh.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Tugger

Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:51 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 23):
Not even close to the same thing. A state issued contract signed between two consenting adults is not the same thing as a piece of plastic giving people the legal right to maneuver a death machine.

I was observing the similarities, not the many and huge differences. The one similarity they have is: license - one for a marriage and one for driving. Does the issue at hand rise to the level of a constitutional one?

I am not saying they are identical nor am I saying they are equivalent (that would be pretty stupid). And I was answering someones question as to why one might have the Full Faith and Credit but another not. And that too points out that I am not making them equal.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey