Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

f.pier
Topic Author

Do Wives Use Their Husbands Name In Your Country?

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:35 am

Watching american movies and series, and meeting people from other countries, I noticed that usually wives commonly use their husbands surnames.
In Italy it's really uncommon, in fact I don't know a single woman who uses her husband's surname. Sometimes, rarely, older women used both their original surnames and their husband ones but this habit is almost forgotten.
Nowadays in a family everyone use their own surname.
What about your country?

DocLightning

RE: Do Wives Use Their Husbands Name In Your Country?

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:59 am

Quoting f.pier (Thread starter):

Watching american movies and series, and meeting people from other countries, I noticed that usually wives commonly use their husbands surnames.

That's the classical way things are done in the English-speaking world. But with more and more women in careers of their own, "Mrs. Jones" (Bill Jone's wife) is likely to go by Mrs. Stephens (her maiden name) or Dr. Stephens at work. Or sometimes, she just doesn't want to change it at all.

This may be a form of insurance in case of divorce or it may be because they have established themselves professionally under their maiden names well before marriage. However, in the English-speaking world, the child of Mr. Jones and Mrs. Stephens will by default carry the last name Jones unless they agree on Jones-Stephens.

In the Spanish world, people have two last names, paternal first and then maternal. María Garcia Cabanillas does not change her name when she marries Juan Jimenez Castro, but their children carry the last names Jimenez Garcia.

I understand that in Iceland, all last names are patronymic, assigned at birth, and based on the first name of the father. I'm given to understand that Jón Olafsson might have a boy named Einar Jónsson and his daughter might be Jóhanna Jónsdottir.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

CPH-R

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:29 am

My experience is that it's pretty much random. My ex-girlfriend kept her old surname and simply added her husbands surnames around that. My oldest (half-)sister kept her surname, while my other sister kept her maternal surname while ditching her paternal surname in favour of her husbands.

I've always found it slightly bemusing that our maternal surname (which isn't patronymic) predates our patronymic paternal surname by a good century, given the quite frankly scattered nature of my mother's side of the family.

flyingturtle

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:32 am

I'm not sure what's nowadays usual in Switzerland. But I've seen:

Jane Austen marries Leo Tolstoy.

For females, Tolstoy-Austen is most popular, for her to take up his name is second-most popular (Jane Tolstoy). Keeping the old name is rare for females, but allowed. Males most often keep their name (Tolstoy), but still popular is an alliance name, Tolstoy-Austen.

But he can take up the wife's name (Leo Austen), if he wants. The legal name is always a single one: X Tolstoy or X Austen, for both Leo and Jane, but alliance names like "Austen Tolstoy" or "Tolstoy-Austen" can be entered on official documents like passports.

At the birth of their first child, the parents must agree on which name *all* of their children will get...

(Swiss people know the joke of Ms. Canzoni marrying Mr. Hösli and demanding that her name should be first... the first one sounds like "fully without", the second "trousers".)

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

DocLightning

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:36 am

For me as a pediatrician, it's all a bit annoying since there is no universal standard anymore.

I can't call up John Smith's mother and ask for Mrs. Smith. I have to ask for "John's mother."

I mean, there are much more important problems I face in my workday than fumbling with a name, but it's a minor annoyance.

Actually, this is a part where I begin to appreciate our conservative minority immigrant populations. Akrum, Ronnie, and Omar Mojadeddi are the children of Mrs. Mojadeddi who is the husband of Mr. Mojadeddi. Makes my life a bit easier. And since the world revolves around my needs...  
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

SOBHI51

Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:48 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
are the children of Mrs. Mojadeddi who is the husband of Mr. Mojadeddi.

Doc this doesn't sound right.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

flyingturtle

Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:59 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 5):

Why? Isn't Ronnie an old Persian name?  Wow!

David

[Edited 2015-06-07 08:00:37]
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

DeltaMD90

Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:16 pm

In America, at least from my anecdotal perspective, I see most females take the male's name, but I'm starting to see increased numbers of females taking the male's last name but making their maiden name their middle name/adding it as another middle name* and also females simply keeping their maiden name.

Let my wife choose, she took my last name. A lot of girls I know that I'd consider strong willed and feminist say that they'll probably take their husband's name when they marry. To each's own

*Then again, I'm not 100% sure of this, it might just be what they put on their Facebook accounts, I haven't asked any of them what their legal names are

Chaostheory

Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:58 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 6):
Why? Isn't Ronnie an old Persian name?

In Islamic tradition, a wife should keep her family (father's) name rather than takes her husband's. However, this Islamic tradition is not well known outside of the Arab world.

My wife, a German-Turk, initially planned on taking my name until I asked her not to.

A332DTW

Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:24 pm

In my native culture it is expected that the wife take the name of the husband. Slavic, more so Balkan, surnames are usually rather long. The wife can still keep her maiden name and hyphenate her surname, but when a child is brought into the world that child is given the husband's surname, or what would now be known as the family name. Like I said Balkan surnames are usually rather long so hyphenations are fairly uncommon.

shaq

Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:41 pm

In my country they can do it in two ways.
Let say, Ana Gonzalez marry Juan Rodriguez.
She can decide to use Ana de Rodriguez, Ana Rodriguez or even Ana Gonzalez de Rodriguez.
or simply continue with their Ana Gonzalez name.
Studying hard, for flying right!

Aesma

Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:37 pm

In France most women take their husband's name. Keeping in mind that half the families don't even marry, so if you marry you're a bit more "traditional" than average. The rest of married women take a compound name, and only rarely keep their maiden name. This causes me trouble at work as I work in IT, so every time a woman marries or divorces, her email address changes, which has multiple consequences.

For children the law was changed recently, they can take any combination of their parent's name, but what applies to the first child applies to all the others. If parents have compound names, then their children can only take one from each parent. Example :

Pierre Dupont-Martin and Marie Rupert-Morvan can name their children Louis and Isabelle Dupont-Martin, Rupert-Morvan, Dupont-Morvan, Dupont-Rupert, Martin-Rupert, Martin-Morvan, etc. Quite messy, but egalitarian. A nightmare for future genealogists !

Quoting f.pier (Thread starter):
In Italy it's really uncommon, in fact I don't know a single woman who uses her husband's surname. Sometimes, rarely, older women used both their original surnames and their husband ones but this habit is almost forgotten.
Nowadays in a family everyone use their own surname.
What about your country?

What about children ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

cgnnrw

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:22 pm

In Germany it was very "in" for women carry both names...Frau Katrin Schmidt-Meyer and then they would give the double name to their kids. however, this started a whole new problem....Michael Schmidt-Meyer marries Maria Schroeder-Zimmermann and now what do they name their child Chrisptoh? Christoph Schmidt-Meyer-Schroeder-Zimmermann or Christoph Schmidt- Zimmermann or Christoph Meyer-Schroeder? Fortunately the laws changed and now parents have to agree on one family name and use it for all children.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
For me as a pediatrician, it's all a bit annoying since there is no universal standard anymore.

I can't call up John Smith's mother and ask for Mrs. Smith. I have to ask for "John's mother."

I can totally relate to you about that.

I really don't care what name/s a woman chooses, however, they should also use some common sense, e.g. I work in a field dealing with high school students. Every now and then I get a call from a mother who says "Hello, this is Frau Schmidt I'm calling about my son Christoph. So I look through all the names and can't find a "Christoph Schmidt" which often results in a snotty remark from the mother "my son's name is Meyer!!" Is it so difficult to say "this is Frau Schmidt, I'm calling about my son Christoph MEYER"?
A330 man.

L0VE2FLY

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:32 pm

What I find interesting is that women in the Middle East don't take their husbands' surnames, whereas in some Western countries where they do enjoy far more freedom and independence they do!  

bjorn14

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:38 pm

In Norway its a tough call because so many couples just live together. Amongst married couples I think its a 3-way tie..takes her hubby's name, keeps her maiden name or just adds his i.e. Olsen Rogness. FWIW, my wife kept her maiden name but would switch to mine if we ever had kids.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

pvjin

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:40 pm

Here most women usually take their husband's name. A combination of original and husband's surname is also rather common, so for example a woman with surname "Rantala" marrying a man with surname "Kallio" can take surname "Rantala-Kallio".
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

RyanairGuru

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:40 pm

As with all Anglophone countries, in Australia it is traditional for a wife to take her husbands name. That trend is, however, weakening rapidly. Gen Y are much more likely to keep their maiden name (and/or never get married) thanearlier generations.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

DeltaMD90

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:54 pm

So what about kids? It seems like most countries take the father's surname, the father's first name + son/dottir (Iceland,) the paternal surnames (ie Rodriguez-Stamos + Munoz-Diaz = Rodriguez-Munoz,) or both the father and mother's names hyphenated (which leads to problems when that child has kids.)

Seems like the father wins out in every case, as traditional and "unfair" as it might be. I guess there really isn't any good way of dividing it. An idea would be for the couple to choose whether they want the father's name or the mother's name or if the sons take the father's name and the daughters take the mother's name.

Just thinking out loud, I will never have to deal with the problem myself

AR385

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:03 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
In the Spanish world, people have two last names, paternal first and then maternal. María Garcia Cabanillas does not change her name when she marries Juan Jimenez Castro, but their children carry the last names Jimenez Garcia.

I know in Spain things may be different regarding that. In most of Latin America, it goes like this:

The woman is María Pérez López

The man is Antonio González Ramírez

So Antonio marries María

María will become María Pérez López de González

The "de" being an archaich form of saying to society that María now "belongs" to Antonio.

Now things are changing. There is no law now and the above is just customary.

DocLightning

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:50 pm

D'OH!!!  
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Aesma

Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:28 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 17):
Seems like the father wins out in every case, as traditional and "unfair" as it might be. I guess there really isn't any good way of dividing it. An idea would be for the couple to choose whether they want the father's name or the mother's name or if the sons take the father's name and the daughters take the mother's name.

I don't see a reason to distinguish between children.

As for the father winning out, I didn't say it but since that last change in France in 2011, men can take their wife's name, it wasn't an option before. Personally I'm attached to my name so I intend to keep it (not that I intend on marrying, but you never know what a woman will get you to do), so I'm fine with women keeping theirs too. I'd actually like to have my mother's last name if that was an option, as it's very Italian and most of my family is on that side, right now both my name and surname identify me as being from Brittany.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:35 am

i don't think anybody can speak for a country, but it's kind of interesting to find out about Italians.

When i got married, i didn't think it was a big deal to go by my new married name, but after only 3 days. i went back to using my maiden name, it was too confusing Your name is like branding. If you have a great reputation you want to keep your branding. You don't want to start over.

My DIL surprised me. As soon as she married my son she open a private practice using his surname. I think she decided to use his last name because it's a great surname.. Her family originally from the Philippines she told my son that his British surname would bring in more new patients than using her Asian last name. Don't know if that's true, but i'm honored that she took his last name. Which is weird because i'm a feminist.

n229nw

Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:24 am

So what about kids?

My cousins chose a totally random new surname for their kid. Quite egalitarian, they had fun with it too.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

einsteinboricua

Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:14 pm

In Puerto Rico it's a mixup. We follow Hispanic naming customs (meaning the wife is not required to use her husband's last name), but being a territory of the US, there's always the assumption that women do.

Assuming my father's last name is Pérez (it isn't) and my mother's last name is Rodríguez (it isn't), the family unit is locally referred to as the Pérez-Rodríguez family, but from the states, it's the Pérez family, with my mother assumed her name is Mrs. Pérez. Like shaq mentioned, women can choose to call themselves "property of", so my mother could have chosen to name herself Mrs. Rodríguez of Pérez (she didn't).

Hence, because there's always a mix up, I just put a dash between my two last names even though my birth certificate does not have it. If not I would be referred to as Mr. Einsteinboricua P. Rodríguez (the assumption that Pérez is my middle name).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

JJJ

Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:29 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 18):
I know in Spain things may be different regarding that. In most of Latin America, it goes like this:

That sounds very old in this side of the pond. Only aristochratic couples would do that.

Doc explained it a few posts back. No one changes names when they marry. Sons get two names, traditionally dad's name first, mom second, but the order can be reversed or both names hyphenated and passed on to the child.

That said, I only know of a single case where the traditional order was reversed, where the father had a very common name (García) and mom's was pretty rare and wanted to preserve it for the next generation.

PanHAM

Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:56 pm

The majority of women in Germany take the husband's Name. But men can also take the wife's Name, besides the various opportunities of "double" names.

In that case it shows the "maiden" Name in ID and passport Max Mustermann Birth name Mueller
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Rara

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:06 pm

Quoting cgnnrw (Reply 12):

In Germany it was very "in" for women carry both names...Frau Katrin Schmidt-Meyer and then they would give the double name to their kids.

I don't think that was ever the case. Double names were fashionable for women (arguably more so than today), but it was never possible to pass them on to children.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Airstud

Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:29 pm

It would be interesting if this thread garnered at least one response from a female...
Pancakes are delicious.

JAGflyer

Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:40 am

Despite having met very few, if any Icelandic people the sur-naming standard they have is quite interesting. Basically, all males and females are named after their father. You are either (insert father's name)son or (insert father's name)dottir (daughter). So, all of Albert's sons use the last name "Albertsson" and his daughter's use Albertsdottir.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

Pyrex

Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:57 am

Unfortunately there are still women in Portugal, even in younger generations, being branded by the husband's cattle iron (i.e., taking their last name), but when it happens it is always in addition to her names (i.e., add it to the end of her name). Luckily, though, I think we are probably ahead of the curve in recognizing women are their own human beings and not their husband's property, so it is fairly common for women to just keep their name. Probably part of the reason for that is because kids have always had at least one last name from the mother and one from the father, usually in that order. Many times you will have two last names from each parent, in addition to one or two first names (yes, our names are long... I only have one first name and two last names and am a veritable outcast, name length-wise).

True story: a Portuguese married couple friend of mine, in which the woman did not take her husband's last name, entered the U.S. a couple of years ago. They approached the immigration officer at the airport together, as you should when you are coming in as a family, and he was very puzzled by that fact - when she very patiently explained to him that, yes, they were married, and no, she did not take his last name, he just turned to her and asked "Why, don't you love him?".
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

AR385

Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:51 am

Quoting jjj (Reply 24):
That sounds very old in this side of the pond. Only aristochratic couples would do that.

Wait till you here this:

When the husband dies, and María remains alive, she becomes.

María Pérez López viuda de González

Talk about old...My mother though, as a widow, refuses to use the "viuda de"

JJJ

Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:48 am

Quoting Jagflyer (Reply 28):
So, all of Albert's sons use the last name "Albertsson" and his daughter's use Albertsdottir.

In Russia (and other Slav countries) the patronymic is used as the middle name.

So Mikhail Mikhailovich Kutuzov is the son of Mikhail (whatever his father's name was)-ich Kutuzov

bennett123

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:03 am

I think in the UK, it is normal for women to take the husbands surname.

However, the older practice of Miss Jane Brown becoming Mrs John Smith seems to have largely disappeared.

CPH-R

Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:10 pm

Quoting Jagflyer (Reply 28):
Despite having met very few, if any Icelandic people the sur-naming standard they have is quite interesting. Basically, all males and females are named after their father. You are either (insert father's name)son or (insert father's name)dottir (daughter). So, all of Albert's sons use the last name "Albertsson" and his daughter's use Albertsdottir.

A tradition they shared with other Scandinavian countries for a good while, and which they're pretty much the only country left that uses. My father's surname, which I in turn got, was one of those, referring back to my great-great-great-grandfather, Lars Mortensen, whose son was named (quite confusingly, admitted) Morten Larsen when he was born in 1840.

Incidently, Lars Mortensen's wife had Jensdatter (Jens's daughter) as her maiden name.

Kiwirob

Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:09 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 14):
In Norway its a tough call because so many couples just live together. Amongst married couples I think its a 3-way tie..takes her hubby's name, keeps her maiden name or just adds his i.e. Olsen Rogness. FWIW, my wife kept her maiden name but would switch to mine if we ever had kids.

What makes it even more interesting is the vast numbers of Norwegian's who have children with more than one partner, when the Ole Hoem has his fifth birthday photo io the papar and all his brothers and sister with multipe different surnames are mentioned. Working out which kids below to which parents can be confusing.

My wife took my last name, she had a very old Norse surname which everyone fails to pronounce correctly and nobody can spell, she couldn't wait to drop it.

which leads to problems when that child has kids

Not really in Norway when this happens the parent smake up a new surname.

slider

Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:15 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 3):
Jane Austen marries Leo Tolstoy.

Imagine the literature that would come from that union!  

AM744

Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:28 pm

They don't. It's been decades that's not the case, at least in Mexico City.

In years past many women took on their husband's paternal last name after their own (paternal last name) and the possesive article 'de'.

I've been told by my mom that was strongly suggested by the judges that carried out the civil weddings. In any case, it's a bad idea, as you can end up with passports, diplomas, etc.. with different names and that can be a huge problem as we don't have 'aka' fields in any of the government formats.

You are better off having one and only one name from a legal point of view.

The woman is María Pérez López

The man is Antonio González Ramírez

So Antonio marries María

María will become María Pérez López de González

Wouldn't that be María Pérez de González? (Unless Pérez-López was a hyphenated, sort of 'upper class' last name)

zckls04

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:54 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 19):
D'OH!!!  

Clearly that family isn't as traditional as you think it is.
Four Granavox Turbines!

AR385

Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:55 pm

Quoting AM744 (Reply 36):
In years past many women took on their husband's paternal last name after their own (paternal last name) and the possesive article 'de'.

Not years past. It is still very common. Starting to change. Buit still very common.

Quoting AM744 (Reply 36):
Wouldn't that be María Pérez de González? (Unless Pérez-López was a hyphenated, sort of 'upper class' last name)

Again. Things are changing, but they usually will take the full name. Check the social pages on newspapers.

bogota

Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:24 am

In most of Latin America, it goes like this:

Colombia eliminated the husbands last name from the wives since 1991. Women who marry keep their maiden name, if they desire to adopt the husbands name they have to go through a long bureaucratic process. I have never met anybody who has adopted the husbands name.

captaink

Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:29 pm

The "de" being an archaich form of saying to society that María now "belongs" to Antonio.

Now things are changing. There is no law now and the above is just customary.

But that is no longer common, unless you are talking about the happenings on some ranch. My wife is Mexican, but she doesn´t carry my name, it didn´t even come up at the civil registry. IN my country she would have had to drop her name and use my last name, but she is very adamant about doing it the Mexican way. LOL
Look Up

Kent350787

Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:42 am

There appear to be interesting generational issues at work in Australia. My wife has never changed her name, and this was pretty commonplace amongst professional women marrying 20ish years ago. But she commented the other day that most of her staff, married in the last 5 years or so, have taken on their husband's name.

Not sure what's driving this change?
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

FDH

Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:13 pm

In the province of Quebec, no name change:

http://www.justice.gouv.qc.ca/englis...cations/generale/maria-a.htm#names

"Spouses' names

Both spouses keep their birth names after marriage and continue to exercise their civil rights under that name, i.e. they must use their birth name in contracts, on credit cards, on their driver’s licence, etc.

This rule applies to all spouses domiciled in Québec, even if they were married outside Québec.

However, women married before April 2, 1981 who were already using their husband’s surname before that date may continue to exercise their civil rights under their married name."

DeltaMD90

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:30 pm

Quoting FDH (Reply 42):

What if the wife wants to change her name? Can she legally have her name changed (even if it's not on the marriage license but happens in a separate document later?)

FDH

Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:48 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 43):
What if the wife wants to change her name? Can she legally have her name changed (even if it's not on the marriage license but happens in a separate document later?)

No.

This news article says:

"But in Quebec, since a 1981 reform of the civil law, women are not permitted to adopt their husband’s name at marriage, not even if they apply for an official name change.

Procedures for formal name change are very strict in Quebec and the decision is up the director of civil status. It requires a serious reason, such as difficulty of use due to spelling or pronunciation, or bearing a name that is mocked or that has been made infamous."

DeltaMD90

Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:51 pm

Quoting FDH (Reply 44):

Wow. I'm all for moving away from viewing women as inferior/belonging to their husbands but I think this goes too far in the other direction. Women, like my wife, chose to change their name, it's their choice

Fabo

Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:34 pm

Over here, it's overwhelmingly women taking their husbands surname. Like 90+ % Probably 95.
Used to be a phase where names would be combined, but it seems to have passed. Legally, husband can take a wifes surname as well, some men use this as an "out" of an undesirable surname, or association with estranged family.

Now this does pose occassional problem after divorces, but in this case, usually a party can choose to keep the surname, or return to maiden name. Children mostly keep their fathers surname in this case, but not always. I have a friend who changed his name on occassion of his parents divorcing, even though he was of adult age already.
The light at the end of tunnel turned out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT