flyingturtle
Topic Author

Pilot Watches: Useful Or A Status Symbol?

Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:26 pm

This topic Watch This Start-up Procedure (by chuchoteur Jun 17 2015 in Tech Ops) made me think a little about pilot's watches. Many watch manufacturers advertise their products in an aviation context, one of the most prominent examples being Breitling which also sponsors an aerobatics team.

Each year, not far away from my home the BASELWORLD takes place, the largest watch and jewellery fair of the world. But a question still lingers in my poor brain...

Are pilot watches purely a status symbol, or do they have an actual use in aviation? Can you use a $10 no-name watch with quartz crystal oscillators as an airline pilot?

I can imagine that pilot watches had to be extremely precise, e.g. for celestial navigation. But beside that - is a pilot's watch nowadays a pure status symbol?

What would passengers think if they were greeted by a CPT with a $10 watch on his wrist?

David

[Edited 2015-06-17 06:31:54]
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

tb727

RE: Pilot Watches: Useful Or A Status Symbol?

Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:37 pm

It just depends on the person. I've seen $10 Kmart watches to no watch, Breitling, Citizen Navihawk(which is what I wear) and even Rolex. The bezel on the outside is an E6-B calculator on a lot of aviator watches and it can be useful but nowadays most do math on their phones calculator or if it's easy enough, in their head.

The whole spectrum of personalities is present in the pilot group. Cheap guys tend to have the cheap watches and the guys who like to flaunt it and maybe have a little bit of swagger if you will, will wear the expensive ones. I like it mine because it has the UTC time on it and that's how I do my aviation stuff. I have worn it for almost 15 years now and for almost every hour of my 6,000 hours and counting. I'll wear it for as long as it works because I remember where every scratch came from when I was back in my freight pushing days and it reminds me how lucky I am to get as far as I have gotten.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

maxpower1954

Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:52 pm

Back in the 1970s when I was a young commuter captain flying the mighty four engine DH-114 Heron and later the DC-3, I wore an actual Mickey Mouse watch as a counter point to those guys with ridiculous chronometer "pilot" watches. The comments I received from employees were favorable, and not one passenger seemed to notice. Flash forward 37 years later and I wear a 40 dollar G-Shock watch from Target greeting passengers in my A321, and they don't seem to notice or care either. The only people that pay attention to fancy pilot watches are other people with fancy pilot watches. Similar to Corvette owners.

nikeherc

Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:56 pm

Irrelevant to the current discussion sort of, but funny, I think - the old joke in the air force in the 1950s was: How do you tell a fighter pilot? He has an expensive watch and a cheap airplane.

Those days are gone forever.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

ytz

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:01 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Thread starter):
But beside that - is a pilot's watch nowadays a pure status symbol?

Yes.

What would passengers think if they were greeted by a CPT with a $10 watch on his wrist?

Most wouldn't notice. Or care.

You need a watch. You just don't need one with fancy bells and whistles.

zeke

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:02 pm

For any aircraft fitted with a GPS, the time source available on the aircraft is going to be more accurate than a watch that is worn.

What is the FO doing while you are out here ?
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

ytz

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:04 pm

Honestly, I can see smartwatches actually become more prevalent in the cockpit....

AirPacific747

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:08 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 4):

Yes.

As an airline pilot myself, I don't see any need for a wrist watch. There's a stop watch in most commercial aircraft anyway.
I do enjoy wearing my wrist watch though.

redflyer

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:17 pm

Quoting maxpower1954 (Reply 2):
The only people that pay attention to fancy pilot watches are other people with fancy pilot watches. Similar to Corvette owners.

I never figured out how someone in a cockpit would have a need for a watch that has an E6-B capability. I mean, really, if you're going to rely on your watch for those functions you are already in a world of hurt. Besides, I have a friend who has a Breitling with an E6-B functionality and, personally, I would have a very difficult time using it in the cockpit of a small plane being bounced around in turbulence.

I do have an appreciation for mechanical watches and own an Omega Speedmaster, and I do use it when I fly in my little bug smasher, but it's only for fun and just as a back up. Whenever I fly commercial and happen to see one of the flight crew I'm always checking to see what kind of timepiece they are wearing, if any. The vast majority seem to wear low-cost watches. And I'd be willing to bet the only time they use it in flight is to know when the FAs are done serving the passengers so that they will know when their meals will be served.
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:26 pm

The last watch I've worn was a Certina - silvery, quite shiny, and had a Volvo logo (because a friend of a friend bought a couple of trucks...). That was 17 years ago.

Ever since, I had no watch, or used the one on the computer or the mobile phone...

Quoting tb727 (Reply 1):
The bezel on the outside is an E6-B calculator

Ahhh, that's sensible and I didn't know that it is a feature on some pilot's watches. I thought watches needed to be precise, e.g. for position reporting and the like.

I wore an actual Mickey Mouse watch

...classy choice of watch (and plane)!

Quoting nikeherc (Reply 3):

Nope. 

You can tell a fighter pilot because he'll tell you.

Quoting zeke (Reply 5):
What is the FO doing while you are out here ?

As a PIC on a Acer laptop (ETOPS 180-ish on battery backup power) I don't have a FO to do my paperwork.  

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

flyby519

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:35 pm

Quoting tb727 (Reply 1):
It just depends on the person. I've seen $10 Kmart watches to no watch, Breitling, Citizen Navihawk(which is what I wear) and even Rolex. The bezel on the outside is an E6-B calculator on a lot of aviator watches and it can be useful but nowadays most do math on their phones calculator or if it's easy enough, in their head.

But of course that E6-B outer bezel is just for looks. I haven't even seen a whiz wheel in the past decade, let alone used one  

s.p.a.s.

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:08 pm

Whiz wheels are good for currency exchange rates  

Being an airline pilot, I wear no watch since a long time, plane has plenty of them, and while not working I have my cellphone to tell me the hours, not that I care so much about that, for starters. OTOH, I wear a silver wristband with a St. Exupery quote engraved, never fails to attract some attention from the ladies at the layover    

Nevertheless, and still being a F/O, I plan to buy a fancy wristwatch when I get upgraded to captain, not for telling me the time, but as a personal gift for the upgrade. And it will be an IWC, for who is wondering.

At my outfit we have all kind of streams, we have the sportswatches guys, the fancy ones, the cheapos, the funny and even some classics like the Cassio Calculator watch

Strange people, that ailrine pilots      

[Edited 2015-06-17 08:27:05]
"ad astra per aspera"

nikeherc

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:14 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 9):
Nope.

Even better. Thanks
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

maxpower1954

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:17 pm

Quoting nikeherc (Reply 12):

Even better. Thanks

Or this one: You can always tell a fighter pilot. But you can't tell him much.

Russ Farris

Mir

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 6):

Honestly, I can see smartwatches actually become more prevalent in the cockpit....

Battery life is a problem there.

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 10):

But of course that E6-B outer bezel is just for looks. I haven't even seen a whiz wheel in the past decade, let alone used one  

I use the one on mine on a fairly regular basis. Though generally not for aviation purposes.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Francoflier

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:30 pm

A $30 digital Casio that can display the time and date in all time zones...

The most useful watch I've ever worn for work. It's light, I can bang and scratch it against every sharp corner of the cockpit without caring, and it's especially good for these times you wake up bleary eyed in a hotel somewhere wondering where in the world you are and what the hell time and day it is.

I like nice watches, but they are of absolutely no use to a pilot anymore. 'Pilot Watches' are just a marketing plot nowadays.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

inaforeignsky

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:43 pm

I collect watches, they're a personal passion of mine. However, I don't wear any of my collection when I'm at work in the flight deck. I have a cheap Japanese watch that I use while I'm at work. I don't want to scratch up any of my collection, which is easily done when moving my suitcase from aircraft to aircraft between flights.

RetiredWeasel

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:49 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 15):

You got that right. Older Casio's that displayed a different time zone with a click was extremely helpful to international pilots. And a light to show the dial face came in handy when waking up at NRT at 0230 while trying to figure out how much longer you could sleep...although cell phones in the last decade have filled in a lot those holes.

I laugh at all those old fighter pilot watch jokes, but in reality, probably 80% of the fighter pilots (in my era) wore the DOD issued standard 'hack' watch. It was easy to sync and kept adequate precision for the next 3 hours or so to get TOTs choreographed.

EPA001

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:54 pm

A great argument that says it all imho. Also I do like very nice watches, but they are not really more useful than any regular watch, and have less functions than cheap digital watches of today.

Combined with GPS-timing and EFB's there is hardly a need for a pilot watch in the cockpit today.

modesto2

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:59 pm

When I was flying the Embraer ERJ in US airline operations, I used my 10 year old Fossil watch that I had from high school, but the one feature that I cherished? It had a digital display that I kept on UTC, in addition to the traditional hour/minute hands for local time.

mmo

Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:02 pm

I haven't worn a watch in over 20 years while flying. With the advent of GPS, having the GPS time in the cockpit is all the information I need. I do have a EA-6B in my flight bag, but it's been a million years since I have used it. There is just no need today. To me, the wristwatch is just another remnant of technology that has passed its prime!
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

N766UA

Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:10 pm

I've always had watches with E6-B's on them, but I can count on one hand the time's I've used it.

UTC and stopwatch features are where it's at!

[email protected]

Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:19 pm

The most useful thing i need on my watch as a pilot is dual time with one set to UTC! For the record i use a Timex watch which has a very useful 'glow' feature to illuminate the dial. It does have an E6B on the bezel but i have never used it and with all the banging around that goes on everyday in the flight deck (no pun intended!!!) , the bezel ceased to move 5 years back....and i did not even notice it!   

I have a good friend ( a very senior Capt ) who uses a plastic casio digital watch for the past 20+ years! (still going strong)

Tugger

Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:19 pm

I like nice watches, but they are of absolutely no use to a pilot anymore. 'Pilot Watches' are just a marketing plot nowadays.

What about Dive watches? Do divers use them? Do they actually use the Submariner?

For the most part I think "expensive watches" whether they be pilot, diver, or whatever as jewelry. I have a basic but nice Seiko, I do care about having a "good watch" but Casio makes good watches too, so do many other no-name companies. Dollars signs $$$ do not make it a good watch to me (though yes I of course know the quality and build of many of those watches is superb).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

LH707330

Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:03 pm

I used to wear cufflinks with little clocks on them while traveling, you set one to UTC and the other to local time, plus they looked cool. Now I'm familiar enough with the time zones that I just mentally move the hour hand when I look at it to know what time it is.

32andBelow

Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:09 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 6):

I think it will be a while before regulators go for that. The whole point is so the entire crew (including FAs) can sync their watches in an emergency, with a smart watch it will be dead too often.

scbriml

Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:14 pm

Seriously? Nothing.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ThirtyEcho

Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:22 pm

Adding another timekeeping device to a cockpit with a fancy watch seems something like adding another timekeeping/timer device to my house. Whenever the power goes out, I have to go around my abode turning OFF all those things that beep and flash at me to let me know they are, fundamentally, unreliable. There is the clock/timer on my microwave, stove, cable box, DVD player, bedside alarm clock, several telephones, travel clock, TV screen, laptop, wall clock and lots of other junk that makes its clock function known only when it fails.

If I need the E-6B function on a watch, why not use a real E6-B? The one in my flight bag must use wind power or something because, even though I haven't used it for years, it will start right up every time. I have NEVER used the E6-B function on my microwave, however.

In a real emergency, you can always make a call on 121.5 and ask for the time.

Acey559

Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:41 pm

I bought myself a Brietling Aerospace a while back when I got my corporate job. The watch doesn't do anything that most other watches do, I had just wanted one since I was a kid. I also have just a plain old wristwatch with nothing but the time and date, which is honestly what I wear most of the time when I'm at work. However, I do really want a Navitimer someday.   But again, purely because I think they're gorgeous and not because I'll use it at all in the cockpit.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

ytz

Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:41 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 25):
I think it will be a while before regulators go for that.

They're allowing iPads in the cockpit now. I highly doubt a Bluetooth enabled device is going to be that much of a problem.

The whole point is so the entire crew (including FAs) can sync their watches in an emergency,

First I've ever heard this. Is there a requirement in the FARs that a pilot must have a watch on him/her when operating a commercial aircraft?

flyby519

Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 29):

I think there is something buried in the FAA FARs that says you must have a device to measure time. It was meant for non-precision approaches and starting your time at the FAF. Every commercial airplane I've flown has had numerous ways to keep time in the cockpit.

RetiredWeasel

Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:22 pm

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 30):
I think there is something buried in the FAA FARs that says you must have a device to measure time.

Every aircraft certified for IFR ops must have a clock with a sweeping second hand or digital equivalent according to Part 91 regs. I imagine it carries over into Part 121 regs also along with a multitude of other requirements. Watches on your wrist are not required nor a suitable substitute..

32andBelow

Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:30 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 29):
First I've ever heard this. Is there a requirement in the FARs that a pilot must have a watch on him/her when operating a commercial aircraft?

Yes all flight crew is required to have a watch. We have taken delays because flight attendants have either forgotten them or they died.

barney captain

Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:46 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 32):
Yes all flight crew is required to have a watch. We have taken delays because flight attendants have either forgotten them or they died.

Did you read the comments from airline pilots that stated they haven't worn a watch in 20 years?

Your statement is incorrect.
Southeast Of Disorder

32andBelow

Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:52 pm

Quoting barney captain (Reply 33):
Did you read the comments from airline pilots that stated they haven't worn a watch in 20 years?

Your statement is incorrect.

Must be airline specific then. My bad.

alhena

Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:02 pm

For the curious: if you have a watch with hands, you can switch between GMT and India time (GMT + 5 1/2) by turning it upside down.

PITrules

Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:08 pm

For those that layover in Shanghai or Shenzhen, the most popular watches are $40 knockoff watches (Breitlings, Rolexes, etc). They look identical and even work for a few years!
FLYi

KELPkid

Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:25 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 14):
Battery life is a problem there

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Almost all button cell watch batteries in the world (as of a few years ago) are made in one plant (!) in China.

The last watch I owned: (CA 2004): the battery it came with lasted ~2 years. I took it to the jewelry dept. in a local retailer to get the battery replaced. The replacement lasted 6 months. Repeat process a couple of times. Then they start lasting ~6 weeks. Then I started replacing them myself, voiding the watch's waterproof warranty...and they still only lasted 6 weeks!

P.S. never once dipped the watch in water...the most wet it got was from the sweat on my wrist.

Gave up and just started using the clock on my cell phone 

Oh, to keep it aviation-related: The best feature for aviation (IMHO) is a chronometer. Useful for timing non-precision instrument approaches, and a hell of a lot more graceful than a kitchen timer attached to your kneepad   
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

citationjet

Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:28 pm

Quoting maxpower1954 (Reply 13):
Or this one: You can always tell a fighter pilot. But you can't tell him much.

You beat me to it....
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

Utah744

Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:44 pm

I found a Casio G-shock watch with all of the time zones and sync with WWV to be a fantastic watch for about USD 80. It is no fun when you are time zone tired trying to figure out what time it is back home. I'd buy another one but this thing won't quit working.
You are never too old to learn something stupid

MD88Captain

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:14 pm

I wear a Casio G Shock that works just fine and has some features useful to a pilot. For dress up I've got a couple of expensive watches that will go to my sons in the estate. Some pilots don't even wear a watch. No one cares. Do what you want.

rwessel

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:22 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 37):
Oh, to keep it aviation-related: The best feature for aviation (IMHO) is a chronometer. Useful for timing non-precision instrument approaches, and a hell of a lot more graceful than a kitchen timer attached to your kneepad

That's not what "chronometer" means. A chronometer is just some time keeping device that's been certified to some accuracy standards.

Eagleboy

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:31 pm

I wore an actual Mickey Mouse watch as a counter point to those guys with ridiculous chronometer "pilot" watches. ............................ The only people that pay attention to fancy pilot watches are other people with fancy pilot watches

Bravo sir.
I have a fond memory of walking along a beach in LA and we came upon a stall selling very expensive looking "aviation" watches. The captain who was with me had a quick look and then said "feck that, you'd be an eejit to wear one of those, people would think I was trying to look like a pilot"

PGNCS

Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:24 am

Quoting YTZ (Reply 4):
You need a watch. You just don't need one with fancy bells and whistles.

Completely agree. You need the watch to show up to the plane on time (though you can use your phone for that too.)

Quoting zeke (Reply 5):
Quoting flyingturtle (Thread starter):But beside that - is a pilot's watch nowadays a pure status symbol?
For any aircraft fitted with a GPS, the time source available on the aircraft is going to be more accurate than a watch that is worn.

Absolutely. I wear a $70 Fossil that tells time and has a window for the date, which is all I need. When I was 24 years old and in the USAF I had a complex "aviation chronometer" and used it for...showing up to the plane on time. I never once used the built in E-6B. After I got out of the Air Force I sold it and viewed it as one of the most pointlessly extravagant uses of money I had ever found.

IMissPiedmont

Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:04 am

One of the very few groups of people who need watches are pilots, anyone else watches are just an affectation. But nobody needs a $5000 watch, ever.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

PGNCS

Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:06 am

The whole point is so the entire crew (including FAs) can sync their watches in an emergency

I have never in my life heard of this. If this is in your procedures, fine, but it's far from universal.

Quoting scbriml (Reply 26):
uoting flyingturtle (Thread starter):What would passengers think if they were greeted by a CPT with a $10 watch on his wrist?Seriously? Nothing.

Nothing is right.

Can you use a $10 no-name watch with quartz crystal oscillators as an airline pilot?

Yes.

Likely yes if it does more than tell time.

They would think he knew what time it was. That's it. Seriously. I used to wear a Casio and now wear a Fossil.

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 32):
Quoting YTZ (Reply 29):First I've ever heard this. Is there a requirement in the FARs that a pilot must have a watch on him/her when operating a commercial aircraft? Yes all flight crew is required to have a watch. We have taken delays because flight attendants have either forgotten them or they died.

Specific carriers may require crew to wear watches, but it is not universal.

Quoting Md88Captain (Reply 40):
Some pilots don't even wear a watch. No one cares. Do what you want.

Oshkosh1

Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:34 am

All show. No question.

As with most "Spec Ops" and dive watches found at the local mall...just bling.
C-150/2, 172, 177, 182, 209, Beech King Air, Convair 580, Twin Otter, RJ, CRJ, ERJ B717,27,37,47,57,67,77. DC8,9,10. MD8

incitatus

Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:25 am

Quoting Acey559 (Reply 28):
I bought myself a Brietling Aerospace a while back when I got my corporate job.

I have an Aerospace that I bought more than 15 years ago. It still works like a Swiss watch   It still looks good. I use it everywhere - sea, sauna, hot tub, gym. Not a scratch - perfect product still.

Now, a Rolex, yuck, watches don't get more corny than that. It is the perfect match to a Cadillac Fleetwood.

I do think wrist watches are on the way out. Like pocket watches were 100 years ago.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

pjc747

Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:25 am

The Apple Watch is looking like it has potential to be an excellent pilot watch. The ability to scroll through a multitude of functions, an dinteract with navigational applications is key. Plus, it has built-in ability to read oxygen saturation, so when that feature is included in the next software update, it will make non-pressurized flying much safer, IMHO.

peanuts

Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:31 am

Without starting a new thread, what about the shades? Fashion statement? Functional? Which ones are best?