Acey559

RE: Pilot Watches: Useful Or A Status Symbol?

Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:41 am

Quoting peanuts (Reply 49):

I personally don't know what I would do without sunglasses, I wear mine all the time! I have sensitive eyes though. I fly with some that never wear them, lots that do. But personally I never fly without my sunglasses.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

Oshkosh1

Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:23 am

Sunglasses are of great value.

I have a pair of "Native" frames with 5 different lenses all held in the same small case. I can easily switch out depending on conditions.

The traditional "G-15" Green lens military aviators are great for winter/snow when there's virtually a need to wear glacier glasses on bright days and fresh snow.

I also really like graduated lenses in a brown tint. I have a pair of Ray Ban's like that and they're what I wear most of the time.

I own several "Aviator" watches...the oldest being an original Citizen "Wingmaster" I bought in Hong Kong around 1988 or so. Still runs but it's mainly relegated to the box of "Watches Past".
C-150/2, 172, 177, 182, 209, Beech King Air, Convair 580, Twin Otter, RJ, CRJ, ERJ B717,27,37,47,57,67,77. DC8,9,10. MD8

pjc747

Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:50 am

The best are Ray-Ban Aviators. Either the green lenses, or the brown lenses (which cut haze) are good, but not polarized lenses. The Ray-Ban Aviator is very lightweight, has a large field of vision, and the frames are very thin, which do not interfere with one's headset.

b747400erf

Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:05 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Wilco737

Does not fit on the wrist, but the best clock in the cockpit

PhilBy

Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:40 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 23):
What about Dive watches? Do divers use them?

Not while diving. A dive watch just gets in the way of the dive computer. Modern dive computers show depth, temperature, air left, decompression times etc and saves having to work it all out using a watch and dive tables which penalise decompression times.

ZKSUJ

Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:09 am

I use a $16 watch from k-mart. Does the job well. There's a clock in the plane anyway and the FMS is used for a really accurate time  

Kiwirob

Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:51 am

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 44):
But nobody needs a $5000 watch, ever.

That's not expensive as far as watches go, it's not even enough to buy an entry level stainless steel Rolex (I don't like Rolex but 1 million people every year do).

Quoting incitatus (Reply 47):
I do think wrist watches are on the way out. Like pocket watches were 100 years ago.

Tell that to the high end Swiss manufacturers who are making more watches than ever before.

JJJ

Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:17 am

Quoting maxpower1954 (Reply 2):
Flash forward 37 years later and I wear a 40 dollar G-Shock watch from Target greeting passengers in my A321, and they don't seem to notice or care either.

Just like all those "special forces" and "mil-spec" watches.

I've met a few actual Special Forces guys and they all wore trusty Casio G-shock watches while on operations.

mandala499

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:05 am

I knew pilots who'd wear $5 watches, carry a cheap pocket calculator in his pocket, and a little notepad and pencil... To them, the expensive pilot watches are for dates, not working!

I also knew a flight crew who got a mechanical pocket stopwatch... He carried that, a pocket calculator (scientific) and an E6B as backup plus basic wrist watch.   
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

northstardc4m

Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:56 pm

I own a Breitling... but not because I wanted an aviator watch... in fact it's a "divers" watch, SuperOcean 44 (model C17391).

I got it because I've always wanted a Breitling, I was looking for an automatic watch at the time, it was a great price (in the USVI from a jeweler my wife has used for years) and it's a simple fully automatic Breitling movement, only time and date, no extras, and i like that simplicity... I don't intend to drop it 6000' into the ocean, or take it up to near space unpressurized but it's warrantied to both those extremes... That said I don't wear it in the shower even, but I do wear it daily.

Is it WORTH it... well that depends on what you deem it's worth, for me yes it's totally worth it... this watch will be ticking long after the smart watches are landfill and I love the look of it.

[Edited 2015-06-18 08:01:22]
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

tu204

Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:29 pm

Wife got me a Vostok-Amphibia watch three years ago. Best watch I've had so far. That outer dial with seconds/minutes spins and is very convenient when flying as it takes one action to set it to "0" and then see time elapsed.
Self-winding, so I usually forget about winding them for a week or two at a time.
It's also taken it's fair bit of damage.

Cost about 60 Euro's.

http://komandirskie.com/amfibia?product_id=509
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

DocLightning

Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:54 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 5):
For any aircraft fitted with a GPS, the time source available on the aircraft is going to be more accurate than a watch that is worn.

Bingo. For that matter, a mobile phone is one of the most accurate timepieces in existence. It is calibrated regularly to the central atomic clocks in the world. You don't get better than an atomic clock. On the scales of accuracy of those clocks, relativistic effects of a flying airliner can be detected.

Do you know what profession does need to wear a decent watch with a second hand? Mine. It's how you take a heart rate or a respiratory rate or measure the duration of a seizure. A cheap $20 Casio will do nicely, though. You don't need picosecond accuracy because the human brain doesn't work on picosecond scales. The human brain is capable of registering events over about 1/10 to 1/20th of a second and no faster.

I wear a Smith & Wesson tritium stainless steel wristwatch. Set me back about US$80. It's nice enough to wear with a tuxedo and yet rugged enough to wear at the gym. The tritium tubes in the minute and hour hands will glow for the next ten years before I need to replace the watch. I've banged that watch against lots of hard surfaces and it barely shows a scratch. Best watch I ever owned.

-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Kiwirob

Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:53 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 61):
It's nice enough to wear with a tuxedo

No it isn't, it's an ugly watch, I though gay people were supposed to have style?

zckls04

Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:53 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 62):
No it isn't, it's an ugly watch, I though gay people were supposed to have style?

Horses for courses. It's also quite hard to find a nice looking watch that can withstand everyday use.

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 56):
That's not expensive as far as watches go

It is, given that the average cost of a Swiss watch is $739, and the average cost of a Chinese watch is $3.
Four Granavox Turbines!

MD11Engineer

Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:14 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 23):
What about Dive watches? Do divers use them?
Quoting PhilBy (Reply 54):
Not while diving. A dive watch just gets in the way of the dive computer. Modern dive computers show depth, temperature, air left, decompression times etc and saves having to work it all out using a watch and dive tables which penalise decompression times.

Scuba diver here. I learned diving in my late teens back in the 1980s, but then we used to calculate the decompression stops using the US Navy dive table in a waterproof version, diver's watch and depth gauge. The outer ring on the diver's watch was set to zero on starting the dive and the the depth gauge gave you the depth on ground.
These have been largely replaced by dive computers, which look like a large digital wrist watch. I still like to bring a watch and depth gauge along as a backup (together with the dive table in the jacket pocket), but many associations, like PADI don't teach decompression techniques for recreational divers anymore, instead their dive tables are set to non-decompression dives only. They also argue that the US Navy table has been made for fit, athletic young combat divers, who dive every day, and not middle aged, slightly overweight recreational divers, who go diving once a year during their vacations, so, due to safety reasons they want to be more conservative, with a larger safety margin.
A lot of equipment has changed since then, e.g. integrated bouyancy aid jackets, which also hold the air cylinders and in some cases the ballast weights as opposed to the toilet seat like bouyancy vests, separate cylinder harness and weight belt (though I like the idea of being able to jettison the cylinder in an emergency and still keep the bouyancy vest as a life vest).

What makes real diver's watches expensive is the pressure proofing. At 40 meters depth I'm under an ambient pressure of 5 atmospheres, and, as diver's watches used to be essential safety equipment back in the day, I want to have a good safety margin, e.g. tested for 100 meters. "Water resistant" is not enough. They also need the timing ring around the dial.

Without starting a new thread, what about the shades? Fashion statement? Functional? Which ones are best?

Having often jumpseated in airliner cockpits when on duty, I have to say that the sunlight above the clouds is extremely bright and, combined with the big cockpit windows, it makes it very uncomfortable if one doesn't wear shades. I have a pair of Ray Ban Aviation shades in a greenish / grey tint, into which I had optical lenses with my correction factor installed (I normally wear glasses).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

DocLightning

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:34 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 62):

How do you know I'm not the one with the style and you're the one without?

Mysteries abound.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Kiwirob

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:58 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 63):
Horses for courses. It's also quite hard to find a nice looking watch that can withstand everyday use.

I have two Omega Seamasters for everyday use, A Seamaster Professional Chronometer and a Seamaster Aqua Terra. I also have a Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor World Time Geographic which I wear when travelling and for formal use. All are prefectly fine for everyday use.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 63):
It is, given that the average cost of a Swiss watch is $739, and the average cost of a Chinese watch is $3.

Take out the 10's of million's of Swiss made Swatches made each year, the average price would shoot skyward. As I said 5k USD doesn't even buy the cheapest Rolex, Rolex sell around 1 million watches per year.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 65):
How do you know I'm not the one with the style and you're the one without?

When it comes to watches I'm leaps and bounds ahead of you Doc.

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:29 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 61):
On the scales of accuracy of those clocks, relativistic effects of a flying airliner can be detected.

And I was all wooohooo! when I read about that around-the-world flight with an atomic clock onboard to measure the relativistic effect... years before GPS became usable.

The relativistic effect on board of the satellite is even bigger. And because the earth is moving through space, astronomers and especially astrophysicists have developed a time measure with a resting reference frame. Nothing rests, neither the earth, the sun, or the center of our galaxy. Relativistic effects galore... and some quasars give you a better accuracy than some atomic clocks.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 64):
They also need the timing ring around the dial.

A rather cheap diving watch (I think it was water-proof to 20 meters....) was the second-last watch I had. I found this sliding ring funny, as I liked to dive in the swimming pool, but luckily never managed to be submerged longer than half a minute...

By the way, my first one was something like this: http://www.flikflak.com/en/watches/zfbnp040-spaceboy/ - a FlikFlak with these funny hands. And I was quite envious of my older brother who had a digital watch which could show not only all the world time zones, but also the temperatures in every city of the world...

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

DocLightning

Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:36 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 67):
The relativistic effect on board of the satellite is even bigger. And because the earth is moving through space, astronomers and especially astrophysicists have developed a time measure with a resting reference frame. Nothing rests, neither the earth, the sun, or the center of our galaxy. Relativistic effects galore... and some quasars give you a better accuracy than some atomic clocks.

I believe you mean pulsars, but yes. Pulsars are very accurate. They do slow their rotation over time, but this is also very precisely predictable.

Still, for any use that I might have for a wristwatch (meaning events that happen on timescales meaningful to a human brain), quartz is fine.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Max Q

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:47 am

I have a 15 year old Bulova Marine Star, looks like a Rolex Submariner but much cheaper and you can still move your arm !

Works well, Pilot watches with multiple gizmos and dials are a waste of time.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

ltbewr

Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:36 am

I wonder if some pilots will wear a relatively cheap watch, even if can afford a fancy one so when off-duty are not seen as having a lot of money and a target of criminals, especially in some locations.

Most watches, even $15 ones from Walmart, are likely to keep time accurately enough to meet most needs for pilots and crew. Many years ago chronographs were critical for flights, especially in the military for bombing runs in WWII. During WWII, as was near impossible to get chronographs from Switzerland, companies like Hamilton Watch in Pennsylvania made 1000's of them for military pilots. The appearance and features of chronographs had real need and functions, if a pilot you had one and it was a symbol of someone who earned it and wanted to let the world know who you were.

NBGSkyGod

Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:16 pm

A watch is required because the Pilot Ethos dictates that a larger than normal watch must be displayed on the non-writing arm so as to identify a pilot to other pilots so that they may not waste their time telling each other that they are pilots. If a person has an average sized or small watch, or even no watch at all, then they must be told that a pilot is in there presence and then show them the large awesome watch.
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:28 pm

Quoting NBGSkyGod (Reply 71):
as to identify a pilot to other pilots so that they may not waste their time telling each other that they are pilots.

Wonderful reply!

I come from a country where many engine drivers, responsible for the safety of 1000+ train passengers, do not wear an uniform at all. You can only tell them apart by their manners and by what they are doing while preparing a train. It *has* happened that a knowledgeable and advanced train simmer asked a real engine driver "Hi! Can I drive? I have little experience on this route, and I could use some", and is given control of the train...

David

[Edited 2015-06-21 13:30:55]
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Max Q

Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:09 am

Quoting NBGSkyGod (Reply 71):
A watch is required because the Pilot Ethos dictates that a larger than normal watch must be displayed on the non-writing arm so as to identify a pilot to other pilots so that they may not waste their time telling each other that they are pilots

You know how you tell who is an Airline pilot at a party ?

Don't worry, he'll tell you.

Not many pilots short on ego..

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

Kiwirob

Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:32 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 73):
Not many pilots short on ego..

I don't get why these days, it's like driving a bus in the sky and if you're a RJ pilot in the US probably paid worse.

Max Q

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:12 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 74):
it's like driving a bus in the sky

I disagree very strongly with that KR, the technical knowledge, experience, competence and high standards required to be an Airline Pilot are no less important than they ever were and are still demanded by their employers.

And these skills are constantly checked and rechecked with no forgiveness for someone not 'up to snuff'

Your perception of pilots is extremely flawed.

Kiwirob

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:42 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 75):
Your perception of pilots is extremely flawed.

What I'm saying is there is no justification for pilots to have an ego anymore, it's no longer seen as a big deal being a pilot IMO. It's the 60's, 70's and 80's where being a pilot was a glamorous profession, it's not even all that well paid these days.

I had some school friends whose dad's were pilots for NZ, most kids thought it was so cool having a mate whose dad was a pilot, it's not the same these day's, it not a cool profession anymore. It's like being a bus driver with a few more technical considerations.

MD11Engineer

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:45 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 75):
it's like driving a bus in the sky

I disagree very strongly with that KR, the technical knowledge, experience, competence and high standards required to be an Airline Pilot are no less important than they ever were and are still demanded by their employers.

Actually I heard the same words about being a glorified bus driver from an airline captain I know well, who works for a low cost airline here in Europe. But he said that the salary pays for the flying he enjoys, namely flying gliders in competitions.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

tommy1808

Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:34 am

I don't get why these days, it's like driving a bus in the sky and if you're a RJ pilot in the US probably paid worse.

A bus driver in Taipei makes more money than a fresh US regionals Pilot...... probably with similar bad away from home hours, although much more actual working time.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Max Q

Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:05 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 76):
What I'm saying is there is no justification for pilots to have an ego anymore, it's no longer seen as a big deal being a pilot IMO. It's the 60's, 70's and 80's where being a pilot was a glamorous profession,

There may be no 'justification' in your opinion but believe me I don't know many Pilots that are short on ego.

It's true that the in the earlier days of the jet age there was more glamor associated with working as an airline pilot but if that's what attracts you to the job you're in the wrong business, there's far too many sacrifices to make to get to a reasonable level as a professional pilot for someone to do well if that's there motivation.

You better be in it because you love flying or you will be miserable.

it's not even all that well paid these days.

Well, I have to disagree again, not sure where you get your information but I assure you, at the major airline level in the US with decent seniority the money is good to very good, it just takes persistence to get to that level.

I had some school friends whose dad's were pilots for NZ, most kids thought it was so cool having a mate whose dad was a pilot, it's not the same these day's, it not a cool profession anymore. It's like being a bus driver with a few more technical considerations.

I coudn't give two hoots what other people who are clueless about the job think is cool, I have had and still have experiences that are unbelievably exhilarating and satisfying over my career that people with ground jobs just can't understand or relate to.

If you really think its like being a bus driver KR you are clueless

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 77):
Actually I heard the same words about being a glorified bus driver from an airline captain I know well, who works for a low cost airline here in Europe

Well he's an idiot for demeaning his profession then.

Kiwirob

Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:33 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 79):
Well, I have to disagree again, not sure where you get your information but I assure you, at the major airline level in the US with decent seniority the money is good to very good, it just takes persistence to get to that level.

With the recent DK strike in Norway they published the salaries for pilots, I make as much as a senior DK captain including all his allowances, I'm well paid, but for the time away from home, shift work, being on call a pilots salary is pretty crappy. BTW it didn't take me anywhere near as long to get to that level as it does for a pilot.

Quoting Max Q (Reply 79):
Well he's an idiot for demeaning his profession then.

I think he's just being realistic. Give it another decade of so and you won't erven need a pilot in the cockpit, they'll end up like driverless trams.

zckls04

Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:34 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 66):
Take out the 10's of million's of Swiss made Swatches made each year, the average price would shoot skyward.

Take out every watch that's over $5000, and $5000 is the most expensive watch you can buy.

Tell you what, let's not "take out" anything when judging where a particularly priced watch fits on the scale of watch prices, because it is nonsensical to do so.

$5000 is an expensive watch. Rolexes are expensive watches. You can't argue with that fact.

As I said 5k USD doesn't even buy the cheapest Rolex, Rolex sell around 1 million watches per year.

Indeed- a very small number compared to the enormous number of cheaper watches worldwide.

I have two Omega Seamasters for everyday use, A Seamaster Professional Chronometer and a Seamaster Aqua Terra. I also have a Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor World Time Geographic which I wear when travelling and for formal use. All are prefectly fine for everyday use.

As I said, horses for courses. I can't stand brash watches like that. I prefer a more classic look, and that often means something a bit more susceptible to knocks and scratches.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Kiwirob

Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:32 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 81):
I can't stand brash watches like that. I prefer a more classic look

None of them are brash or showy watches, no gold, no diamonds.

rugger

Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:40 pm

The very first time I took a private pilot lesson I noticed other students having those watches with all the rings on them.
I would guess that most of the guys wearing them hadn't a clue how to use them. They hadn't taken that class yet.

Dreadnought

Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:59 pm

Living in Switzerland (where bums on the street may well be wearing a Rolex), I got caught up in the whole watch thing, looking down on quartz movements etc. I even worked for a Swiss watch manufacturer (Zenith) who are very proud of their mechanical movements.

But if we are brutally honest, a $10 quartz watch is more reliable and more accurate than a $30,000 Patek Philippe. An Iphone has a thousand times more calculation functions than the best Breitling Aviator. These expensive watches, frankly, are nothing more than jewelry.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

zckls04

Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:24 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 82):
None of them are brash or showy watches, no gold, no diamonds.

As I said, to each their own. For me brashness is not about gold and diamonds. I have some very understated gold watches and a couple of rather ghastly stainless steel ones. The totality of the watch is what screams for attention, not just the materials it's made of.

Which is showier, this:

or this:

Four Granavox Turbines!

FighterPilot

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:37 am

Back to the "Useful or status symbol" debate, as much as I didn't want to fit into the stereotypical pilot with a "big watch" and "aviators," I asked my girlfriend for a watch for my birthday. I was looking for something with the essential, time, as well as date and possibly day of the week on the watch.
She bought me a Citizen Nighthawk A-T:

I've been in love with it ever since, it automatically sets the time to an atomic clock, no winding or battery, has the date, day of week and 24 hour scale. I've checked it many times with the GPS in the plane and it's never more than +- 1 sec off from the GPS clock. I particularly find the date and day of week setting handy when doing paperwork. While flying 24hr on call MEDEVAC the days can seem to "mash" together so trying to remember what numerical day it is, or even which day of the week it is can be tricky, yet with quick look at my watch I can determine that "Oh Shit, it's already Friday" or "F*ck, is it really the 26th today?" Ask anyone who has flown MEDEVAC in Canada and they'll tell you how demanding it can be. Yes I carry my iPhone with me, however its battery is usually low, or in the 11th-13th duty hour, after flying around trying to search for non-existant service in Northern Manitoba (even after being in Airplane mode) it's usually dead.
So as for "useful or status symbol" my watch has its "Time and Place" pun intended.

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*