FighterPilot
Topic Author

The Beer Thread!

Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:14 pm

Figured I'd start a thread on A.netters favourite beers. After traveling to Munich last year and sampling some of the local beers I got more and more into beer. (I was already a big fan.) I used to drink the moose piss they call beer here in North America and enjoyed it, however I don't think I've drank a large domestic brewery beer here in Canada since traveling. Anyway figure I'd start this thread to talk about some of your favourites and some good beers to try. With craft beers becoming more and more popular there are definitely some great new brews out there, however it seems some are just jumping on the band wagon and brewing some real garbage. I have to say I'm not a big fan of really "hoppy" beer, I think it's disgusting and reminds me of drinking pine sap, however there are a few hoppy beers I enjoy as long as the hops is not too strong.

Some personal favourites:

Erdinger:

Classic, one of my all time favourites, both the Weißbier and Dunkle.

Paulaner:

Another one of my favourites, love the hint of orange taste

Löwenbräu Radler:

Lots of people jumping on the Radler band wagon, however I enjoy sipping this one on a hot summer day. I'm sort of a hypocrite for saying I have not drank many domestic beer as this one as this one is technically brewed here in Canada.

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

WildcatYXU

RE: The Beer Thread!

Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:05 pm

Well, Fighter Pilot, you are in the same situation with beer as I'm with cars. You aren't a majority consumer.

BTW, beside the Radler we are brewing the Lowenbrau lager as well here in London. And of your selection, hmm, I tried the Erdinger and wasn't really impressed. Wheat beers aren't really my choice of drink.

As far as my choice of beer is concerned, I support my own employer and drink our products. Mainly Alexander Keith's Hop Series, Lowenbrau and lately Goose Island. When in Creston I enjoy some Kootenay True Ale. And on the opposite end of country I always pick up some Jockey Club.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

Dreadnought

Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:20 pm

Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Bongodog1964

Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:54 pm

Just returned from my local pub http://www.thebankmicropub.co.uk/

Tonight I have been drinking

As its the last beer I have drunk, presently its my favourite

Next week my favourite will be something else

Aesma

Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:39 pm

I don't like bitterness so beer is not my thing (and bitters are my nightmare). I can drink the less bitter ones but I don't enjoy it so there is not much point.

Last time was not that long ago in fact, last month, to bond with coworkers/clients, I was in a Muslim country, and the beer was called as the city, Casablanca.

Looking into it I see that it's available in Europe and even the US, interesting.

New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

kstateinALB

Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:43 pm

Great thread.

I use an app called "Untappd" that helps keep track for me what beers I have had before. It allows you to rank them, get recommendations for similar kinds, etc. Highly recommend!

Currently drinking a Shiner Prickly Pear as I type. Also highly recommend for a good summer beer.
ALB, DTW, ORD, MDW, MCI, JFK, LGA, LHR, MAD, MSP, IAD, DCA, MCO, ATL, CVG, TUL, MHK, PHL, PIT, DFW, DAL, CLT, IND, AUS,

csturdiv

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:00 pm

Quoting kstateinALB (Reply 5):
I use an app called "Untappd" that helps keep track for me what beers I have had before. It allows you to rank them, get recommendations for similar kinds, etc. Highly recommend!

I love Untappd. Every once in a while I'll give it a good workout, like a few weeks ago in Sydney was a beer fest called GABS. And I'll also do an occasional brewery tour around Sydney. Getting that American beer badge was hard. I've lost count how hight I am in the Pale Ale and Hops badge categories.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

wingman

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:19 pm

Perfect timing as I was just asking for IPA recommendations in Portland. My current favorites when and where I can get 'em. These are generally very elusive even in the SF area, the midwestern ones unobtainable unless one makes a special 47 hour beer run by car.

In no particular order:

Grapefruit Scuplin by Ballast Point
Pliny (what else is there to say)
Bell's Two Hearted
Founder's Centennial
Three Floyd's Alpha King

and a new discover from SoCal..Betty IPA by Hangar 24.

If anyone knows some great IPAs from the Portland area please share. Moving soon and the selection is outrageous. I like 'em sharp and piny but easy on the aftertaste. Thanks.

csturdiv

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:29 pm

Quoting wingman (Reply 7):

Three Floyd's Alpha King

Yes and yes!! Living in the Chicago area before moving to Sydney, I was spoiled with having Three Floyds near me in Northern Indiana. A bottle shop here imports some Ballast Point beers, but they are really expensive. I know it is more Oregon, but Deschutes was good, and I see their Fresh Squeezed here as well.

I had this beer the other night and it was outstanding!

And there is a brewery down in Hobart Tasmania called Cascade that I toured years ago and a few nights ago I had a bottle of their First Harvest, using fresh hops grown in Tassie. Really good as well. And the pub near my house has it on special for the rest of the month. Not very far to go for it. (and that is the brewery in the background, an amazing old building in a surreal landscape).

wingman

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:59 pm

I love this new fresh hop trend. Man, IPAs down under. Someday...

seb146

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:30 am

I have yet to try Pliny. I don't know when it comes out!

I also don't care for sweet IPAs. Anchor Steam is about as sweet as I go. I tried a beer aged in bourbon barrels once. That was strange. Okay but strange. Really expensive in the stores.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

L0VE2FLY

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:39 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 4):
I don't like bitterness so beer is not my thing (and bitters are my nightmare).

Ditto, not a fan of beer but I do drink it occasionally as long as it's not bitter. Some good beers I've tried recently: Michelob Ultra, Blue Moon, Tsingtao (Chinese Beer), Angry Orchard (Apple Ale).

One of the worst beers I've tried, it's brewed right here in San Diego btw.

The nastiest beer I've ever had was Guinness.    The Simpsons perfectly described its taste! ...

fr8mech

Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:02 am

I use an app called "Untappd" that helps keep track for me what beers I have had before.

Thank you for that!

was just asking for IPA recommendations in Portland.

I'm not a fan of IPA's. By the way:

https://munchies.vice.com/articles/ipas-are-giving-you-man-boobs

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 11):
The nastiest beer I've ever had was Guinness.

Mana from the the gods of mass produced beer. I can drink it like water.

I enjoy a wide variety of beers. Some craft, some mass produced.

I recently took the Anheuser Busch tour in St. Louis and drank a Shock Top pretzel flavored beer. One of the best flavored, if not the best flavored beer, I've ever had. Unfortunately, the guy at the bar said he didn't think AB would market it.

The mass produced that come to mind:

Mich Ultra
Guinness
Guinness Blonde
Bass
Goose Island 312

There's a place nearby that serves something called Hoptimus Prime...wow, that will knock you on your ass. It's a subtle IPA, but after a sip or 2, you won't care.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Alias1024

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:44 am

It all depends on my mood and what I'm eating with it. Anything from IPA to stout. I've been drinking more full bodied Belgian style beers recently. Ommegang Three Philosophers and Abbey Ale are both great. Santa Fe Brewing Chickenkiller barleywine is good (and strong) full bodied beer as well.

Pliny (what else is there to say)

Which one?

Pliny the Elder is very good, especially on tap at Russian River in STS. I don't have an interest in waiting in line for hours to try the Younger.

Anyone tried the Younger?
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

csturdiv

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:10 am

What about beer in Honolulu? I am going there next Friday for a week and in addition to finding US beer that I cannot get in Sydney, I'd like to sample some local stuff. Any locals or visitors to there recently know of any good brews? Do not say Kona Big Wave, I had that and was not too impressed.

Airstud

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:43 am

I don't know from craft and microbrews; plus I've been trying to lose a little around the middle (for like 18 months now    ), so I can only cite the mass-produced, corner-market type beers I've enjoyed:

Moosehead
Steinlager
Fosters Bitter
Sapporo

(I once threw a few back at a pub in Halifax, Nova Scotia and thought I was going to be fine to walk back to my hotel. Because I had been living in California for nine years where our local yuppie brews have raspberries in them. After three or four in Halifax, I suddenly realized trying to stand up was a bad idea.    )

(Maritimers can brew a brew or two, it seems...)
Pancakes are delicious.

casinterest

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:13 pm

There are some good beers out there now. Some of my favorites

Great Divide: Yeti Imperial Stout(oak aged)
Fat Tire:1554(Black Lager)
Great Divide: Rumble(IPA)

Locally we have a lot of great brewery's in NC
Aviator(Wide Open Red) Red Ale
Torch Brewing(Hoppyum)

Another great flight if you like IPA's nationally is the Sierra Nevada 12 pack with 4 varieties.
Where ever you go, there you are.

wingman

Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:26 pm

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 13):
Which one?

Pliny the Elder is very good, especially on tap at Russian River in STS. I don't have an interest in waiting in line for hours to try the Younger.

Elder, the only one I have access to. I also can't wait in line at the brewery anymore, but I hear if you get there by 1045 AM you can get in and out with your take away pretty quickly. Arrive at 11 and it's an hour wait on weekends. Bling Pig is a fine beer too and my wife loves their sour pinot noir beer (Supplication). Not my thing really but those guys do Sour style some real justice.

garnetpalmetto

Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:54 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 16):
Torch Brewing(Hoppyum)

You mean Foothills. Torch is their Pilsener and Hoppyum is their IPA. I think if I were to make a mixed-six pack of NC beers for somebody who'd never had any of our beers with the rule that no brewery could be repeated and only year-round available beers could be included, here's what I think I'd put together:

Aviator Brewing Company (Fuquay-Varina, NC) - Devil's Tramping Ground (Belgian Tripel)
Big Boss Brewing Company (Raleigh, NC) - Blanco Diablo (Wit)
Birdsong Brewing Company (Charlotte, NC) - Jalapeno Pale Ale
The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery (Farmville, NC) - Milk Stout
Fullsteam Brewery (Durham, NC) - Summer Basil Farmhouse Ale
Highland Brewing Company (Asheville, NC) - Oatmeal Porter
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

casinterest

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:21 pm

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 18):
You mean Foothills. Torch is their Pilsener

oops. Thank you.

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 18):
Aviator Brewing Company (Fuquay-Varina, NC) - Devil's Tramping Ground (Belgian Tripel)
Big Boss Brewing Company (Raleigh, NC) - Blanco Diablo (Wit)( I think I would choose war hawk(APA) or bad penny(Brown ale)
Birdsong Brewing Company (Charlotte, NC) - Jalapeno Pale Ale(gonna have to try this one. I liked Aviator's Habanero Saison).
The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery (Farmville, NC) - Milk Stout
Fullsteam Brewery (Durham, NC) - Summer Basil Farmhouse Ale
Highland Brewing Company (Asheville, NC) - Oatmeal Porter (this one is definitely good).

I am also partial a bit to a new brew out of Gizmo brewing (Black Hop Down) Black IPA.

Kiwirob

Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 15):
Steinlager

For a mass produced larger it's hard to find a better one.

bjcc

Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:27 pm

"The nastiest beer I've ever had was Guinness. "

Forgive him Lord, he knows not what he says.........

Guinness is an acquired taste to be fair, but once you have acquired it.......

FighterPilot
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:00 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 1):
As far as my choice of beer is concerned, I support my own employer and drink our products. Mainly Alexander Keith's Hop Series, Lowenbrau and lately Goose Island.

While not listed in my list, Lowenbrau is definitely one of my favourites. One of these days I'll have to take a spin down to YXU and tour the Labatt Brewery.

Just downloaded it, it looks pretty cool, I'll have to take it for a spin.

Cal   

WildcatYXU

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:08 pm

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 22):
While not listed in my list, Lowenbrau is definitely one of my favourites. One of these days I'll have to take a spin down to YXU and tour the Labatt Brewery.

If I'll be in town, I could add the analytical lab to your tour program. And perhaps we could do some tasting in some of the bars downtown as well  
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

garnetpalmetto

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:28 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 19):

I am also partial a bit to a new brew out of Gizmo brewing (Black Hop Down) Black IPA.

I like their anniversary beer, Queen Bee pretty well. I think I may have mentioned before, but my wife's best friend is one of the owners out there, so we visit out there a bit. I'm also fond of their Black Stiletto Stout. It's amazing what they've created out of the ashes of Roth Brewing.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

casinterest

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:32 pm

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 24):
Roth Brewing.

Gizmo has a much more marketable logo. They also have quite a few more gems under their belt.

RussianJet

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:54 pm

Quoting FighterPilot (Thread starter):
I have to say I'm not a big fan of really "hoppy" beer

I agree. I found that in Australia this characteristic was almost pretty difficult to avoid at times, it's everywhere - but that's to take nothing away from some good and interesting brewing going on over there. Some great stuff to be had. I don't get the obsession with excessively-floral hoppiness though, particularly in things calling themselves pilsners, for example. It's too cloying, sort of nice at first but you don't want another one afterwards. Booo.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

marktci

Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:39 pm

Going to put in my two cents for YYJ and YVR brewers.

I'm obviously biased but YYJ is a spectacular destination for craft beer lovers. There are 12 breweries (ranging from decent sized micro-breweries to brewpubs that sell to retailers) within 20 kms. This being the Pacific Southwest (of Canada), IPAs are dominant, but every brewer is brewing a variety of styles (Saisons, Wheats/Wits, Dunkels, Pale Ales, Lagers, etc.). Lately, I've become a huge fan of sour and wild ales with their funky notes. Favourites in Southern Vancouver Island include Driftwood and C12 breweries.

The lower mainland also has a number of great craft brewers. Dageraad (Burnaby) and Four Winds (Delta) in particular are turning out some amazing brews. Most retailers here carry a decent selection of Washington, Oregon, and California craft brews.

Edited to add: I am also on Untappd and would recommend it for keeping track of what you've had and seeing what your friends are drinking.

[Edited 2015-06-19 15:41:05]

seb146

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:32 am

Quoting csturdiv (Reply 14):
What about beer in Honolulu? I am going there next Friday for a week and in addition to finding US beer that I cannot get in Sydney,

We were just there for a week and I didn't notice too much different from the mainland. Weaker than California but the same offerings. There was one from Maui that was good but that was all I can think of. I don't remember the name of it just that it was from another island.

I am having my first Pliny Elder and I have to say: Sierra Nevada is better IMO.

[Edited 2015-06-19 18:34:28]
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

PHX787

Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:43 am

If you guys wanna follow me on Untappd, here's my link  www.untappd.com/user/phx787

I did a video a while ago on my favorite beer- the Jackhammer IPA from Brewdog:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CytV4gD9Ehk&...PLkh_xE8WgGv3-LeZfT2oFWl8l9Er98IWn

Brewdog is amazing, and I feel lucky to live in a city with a rare Brewdog bar  
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

flyingturtle

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:07 am

I like dark beers and weiss beers. I rarely drink others. :-P These dark beers often come with more flavors.

My favourites are, in no particular order:

Belhaven Wee Heavy (you'll feel wee heavy after that one)

Those of the BFM (Brasserie des Franches Montagnes - expensive at about 5 USD per 0.33 liters, and that's the price at the shop! But beer ripened in oak barrels is really a nice touch.) http://www.brasseriebfm.ch/les-bieres/la-torpille

Lapin Kulta. Called "Lapland's Gold", they had to buy a real gold mine for trademark reasons.

"Black" of the Licorne brewery, Saverne, Alsace. I still have to taste more of it to really figure out how good (or bad) it tastes in comparison to the others.

Guinness is too "sharp" for my taste... it's rare that I don't like a dark beer...

When I finished my MSc, I got an assortment (12 bottles, I believe) of various beers - Belgian ones, Luxembourgish, Alsatian... that was a good time. 

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

melpax

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:17 pm

A new favourite is Furphy Refreshing Ale, brewed by Little Creatures in Geelong.

Being a new brew, the local bottle shop has it on special at the moment as well.

Essendon - Whatever it takes......

Aaron747

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:43 pm

Fortunately the craft beer fervor has hit Japan pretty big over the last several years and there are a bunch of great ones now finding wider appeal after spending several years unavailable in supermarkets and what not.

A sampling of what I've had this week:

Kumano Kodo, from Mie

Minoh, a local favorite made right here in Osaka

One of my favorites, Ginga Kogen, from way up in Iwate. They do a killer weizen and IPA.

Hitachino, AKA 'Nest Beer' from Ibaraki does the finest red ale I've tried so far here

This has been around for about 10 years maybe but is an old favorite of mine - highly recommend when you want something dark. Guinness and the Asahi/Kirin/Yebisu stouts made over here are only so-so anyway.

Now the best part is I get to see what SF has been brewing up when I'm back in a couple weeks!
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

pu

Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:14 pm

I often order a mass-produced beer brewed by AB InBev or SAB Miller when I'm in a beer oriented bar, just to prove I am my own man and don't derive self worth (or judge others) by the beer ordered. I also frequently sit down and order a beer @ a bar withoug playing with my phone or iPad for similar reasons.

I love it when they hand me a beer menu and the long-haired tubby beer hippy can't wait to answer the questions I must surely have: I ignore this preening and order a Stella/Budweiser/Heineken/Guinness/Corona/Fosters.

I quite like many small batch beers and enjoy trying them. But more than a few are awful - a mass produced beer is a most reliable way to get drunk with a minimum of money and posing.

Pu.

L410Turbolet

Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:36 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 32):
now finding wider appeal after spending several years unavailable in supermarkets and what not.

Where does one buy these beers while in Japan? Minimarts?

Any opinion on the Okinawan beer Orion???

Meanwhile, a beer-related news from the WTF category:

Corona, the fifth-best-selling beer in America despite horrible taste ratings, is facing a shortage.
The company told The Wall Street Journal it is spending $1.5 billion to expand its main brewery on the Mexican border. It's also trying to open a new plant in California, with the goal of doubling its output by 2018.

"We’re doubling capacity and brewing at the same time," an executive from parent company Constellation told The Journal. "There’s nothing like it in the brewery world."

Corona is the fifth-best-selling beer in the US.

But many industry insiders are scratching their heads at the company's success.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/horrib...exican-beer-popular-105700662.html

Bongodog1964

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:46 pm

Tonights selection

followed by Hitchin Hedgehog from the Buntingford Brewery

Preferred the Hedgehog to the World Hop Medley

Aaron747

Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:32 pm

Quoting L410tURBOLET (Reply 34):
Where does one buy these beers while in Japan? Minimarts?

They are available at some supermarket chains and at specialty grocers like Ikari, Seijo-Ishii and Yamaya.

Any opinion on the Okinawan beer Orion???

It's not bad - nice and light with an easy finish. Goes well with Okinawan food  They did a tie-up with Asahi a few years ago to expand their access to the domestic market but it hasn't really made a dent outside of Okinawan restaurants.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

casinterest

Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:25 am

Beer of the night

Great Divide...Yeti...Chocolate aged ... Inperial stout ..

awesome

TWA772LR

Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:40 am

If you're ever in Texas, Shiner Bock is a great middle-of-the-road beer. Personally, its my go-to beer!

I've been looking more into different beers from smaller breweries in different states and other countries and Paul Ainers Heffeweisen and Widmers Heffeweisen are amazing if you love wheat beer such as myself!

And when I went to Sydney I fell in love with Red Back and Beez Neez. We actually asked a guy in the liquor store if he had heard of Fosters and he actually said no, which surprised us!

I'm just a young dumb college kid so all these beers I just named, except Shiner, are awesome to me. Even though when I still go to parties I settle for Keystone Light, Natty, Voors, and Corona Light lol.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

ha763

Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:17 am

Quoting csturdiv (Reply 14):
What about beer in Honolulu? I am going there next Friday for a week and in addition to finding US beer that I cannot get in Sydney, I'd like to sample some local stuff. Any locals or visitors to there recently know of any good brews? Do not say Kona Big Wave, I had that and was not too impressed.

I'm not much of a drinker, but here some some places/local brewers to try:

Honolulu Beerworks

Pint and Jigger

Hoku Brewing Company

Waikiki Brewing Company

Kona Brewing Company

The Brewseum

Lanikai Brewing Company

Stewbum & Stonewall

This website covers the local craft beer scene and has a lot of information of where to go and what's available
Beer in Hawaii

Zkpilot

Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:24 am

I love my Munich beers especially the Oktoberfest specials.
Really into my craft beer these days do try to avoid the main mass produced beers (Heineken etc). Luckily here in NZ we have a wide variety of good quality beers and not much horse piss beers! Even the big breweries here now make craft-esk beers. I guess we have good clean water, quality ingredients, and not much need for preservatives etc.
As others have mentioned Guiness is an acquired taste (it's like drinking a meal to start with) but once you have had a fresh properly poured Guiness and get the taste for it it is an amazing beer (especially in Ireland).
I'm really enjoying chocolate double porters. That untappd app is also really handy especially if you are trying tasting paddles etc.
59 types. 41 countries. 24 airlines.

FighterPilot
Topic Author

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:21 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 23):
If I'll be in town, I could add the analytical lab to your tour program. And perhaps we could do some tasting in some of the bars downtown as well  

Sounds good!

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 29):
If you guys wanna follow me on Untappd, here's my link  www.untappd.com/user/phx787

Added!
Here's mine. http://untappd.com/user/CanadianPilotGuy

A few local breweries here in Winnipeg:
Fort Garry Brewing Company
My Favourite from them.

And: Half-Pints Brewing

Another great Canadian brewery:
Muskoka Brewery
And a favourite from them,
Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 40):

I love my Munich beers especially the Oktoberfest specials.

Also a huge fan, can't wait till October.

Cal   

csturdiv

Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:58 pm

Quoting ha763 (Reply 39):
I'm not much of a drinker, but here some some places/local brewers to try:

Thank you, that will come in handy. I'll look them up and see what I can find that is near our condo.

csturdiv

Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:06 pm

Here is my Untappd profile

https://untappd.com/user/theoriginalbeerbrewer

Saturday I had a a double/imperial pilsner called Storm Trooper Imperial Pilsner that was outstanding...thankfully as it was $16.50 for it! I also had an IPA from an Australian brewer that was made with some coffee beans, and it was amazing.

johns624

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:41 am

McEwan's Scotch Ale.

melpax

Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:52 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 38):
And when I went to Sydney I fell in love with Red Back and Beez Neez. We actually asked a guy in the liquor store if he had heard of Fosters and he actually said no, which surprised us!

All 3 are actually CUB/SAB Miller beers. Redback & Beez Neez are marketed as 'craft' beers, with no CUB labelling so people think they're drinking an 'independant' beer. Melbourne Bitter (another Fosters/CUB/SAB Miller brew) is now the new 'in' beer with Aussie Hipsters, tastes even worse than Fosters. An Australian PBR if you will.....

Corona is the fifth-best-selling beer in the US.

Corona's the top selling imported beer here (around 4% of the total beer market), tastes horrible without lemon or lime. Interesting that they're trying to market it as a winter beer in the US, it's marketed as a summer beer over here, with the lemon or lime added it is an easy beer to drink if you're having a session with the guys on a hot day.

Lots of better beers out there though.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

garnetpalmetto

Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:51 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 25):

Gizmo has a much more marketable logo. They also have quite a few more gems under their belt.

It's also not being run by a bunch of undergrads from NCSU looking to delay getting a job after graduation and brewing beer in between rounds of LARPing. As my wife's friend tells it, they started cutting corners as their debt grew. Instead of using real cinnamon sticks in their cinnamon porter, they started using powdered cinnamon and cheap stuff at that.

We went out to Mystery Brewing in Hillsborough this past weekend. Had a few of theirs I quite like. I love Six Impossible Things, their coffee stout, but it wasn't on. Their Berliner Weisse, Wanderer Moon, was pretty good. Picked up a bottle of a barleywine brewed with brett, Sophocles. Might crack that open tonight.

Fabo

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:43 pm

Hey, a thread to my liking! 

I like beer a fair bit. Most of it, probably except the wheat based ones (Weizen), I'm rather a fan of barley.
I do like hoppy beers. But mostly I like variety.

There was a certain variety to beer when I used to be in Prague, but it was mostly different shades of Pilsner type lagers. I'm glad that different types are becoming available. At that, I quite enjoyed my London trip last week. Got to sample the lot, bitters, IPAs, pale ales, brown ales. I even liked the Guiness there, which was a hard sell, as I tried it a couple times over here home in Slovakia and disliked it a fair bit.
Well either it's an acquired taste, or they do it a bit different over at the islands. I'll have to go to Dublin one of these days to try it right over there.

I don't know either. Probably has to do with the whole Mexican fun fun fun time thing. I suppose tequilla is similar. In itself, quite lowly liquor made from whatever available (cacti, given the location), but made popular by association that Mexico=Party time!
The weird lemon&salt ritual thing just gives more credence to the idea.
The light at the end of tunnel turned out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

csturdiv

Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:58 am

Quoting melpax (Reply 45):
All 3 are actually CUB/SAB Miller beers. Redback & Beez Neez are marketed as 'craft' beers, with no CUB labelling so people think they're drinking an 'independant' beer. Melbourne Bitter (another Fosters/CUB/SAB Miller brew) is now the new 'in' beer with Aussie Hipsters, tastes even worse than Fosters. An Australian PBR if you will.....

Never heard of Redback. I've had Beez Neez once, at SYD at a bar near the QF A332 gates. Didn't think much of it. I saw Melbourne Bitter when I was in Melbourne, but actually did not try it until I was in Ballina and bought a bottle of it. I thought it was like VB, but when I drank it, I actually thought it tasted it a bit better...which is not saying much. After work today I stopped at a bottle shop on the way home and picked up a single bottle of MOA 5 Hops. I saw somebody in my Untapped network check into it, and it was in Rio de Janeiro of all places, so I thought I should check into it. With a name like 5 Hops, it has to be good....hopefully. It will be with my dinner tomorrow night.

OMP777X

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:48 pm

Quoting bjcc (Reply 21):
"The nastiest beer I've ever had was Guinness. "

Forgive him Lord, he knows not what he says.........

Guinness is an acquired taste to be fair, but once you have acquired it.......

TBH, I almost exclusively drink Guinness Stout when I'm in Ireland, but NEVER drink it I'm the USA. It is a total let down compared to having the best pint you're ever going to find anywhere at all while over there in Dublin. I could probably see someone reacting very poorly to it after having tried a warm can of it over here.

Lately, my favorite beer that I've been drinking that is readily available is Traveler's Grapefruit Shandy. It is perfect for drinking all summer long, and my local corner store owner makes sure he stocks up on it for my gf and I. If we're talking about our favorite beer that can be found anywhere at all, then for me it probably has to be Ola Dubh brewed by the Harvestioun Brewery. I believe they brew that somewhere in the Scottish Highlands. It is aged for around 6-21 years in whiskey barrels (depending on which batch you're buying) and has to be the best Scottish ale ever. It can be quite pricey, and I've paid somewhere around $14-16 dollars for a glass of the 18 year old version at a bar in my neighborhood. It is also expensove to buy even at the big box liquor stores. They make a non-aged version of it called Old Engine Oil which as the name suggests is somewhat more viscous in texture, but also tasty. I've just learned to be careful not to drink those dark ales like them late at night before having to go to work early the next day, because no amount of mouthwash or breath mints will erase the whisky smell for the Ola Dubh off of your breath, even if you have brushed your teeth for several minutes. A friendly coworker pointed that out to me one morning and helped me steer clear of a potentially bad encounter with a foreman before I could realize it myself (even though I wasn't even buzzed, and felt sober, the smell my breath gave off would've suggested otherwise).

Best,

OMP777X
"Happy Flighting!"