Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

29erUSA187
Topic Author

Any Other Sailors On Here?

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:11 am

Hello all,

I was just wondering something about the members on the site, so I figured I'd ask it.

I have been a sailor for 10 years (Im 16) and I have been around or on boats my whole life. The last five years, I have become a racer, sailing a few types of boats in regatta's all up and down California. I currently sail the Laser Radial a common but fun boat, and the 29er, a rocket ship of a boat. (Sort of the Ferrari of the Regatta world) Sailing has replaced conventional school sports for me, as they are quite the workout, and you must devote lots of time to truly master them, plus, living in SAN gives the advantage of a Year Round Sailing Season

Laser Radial

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2914/14457064672_abf67de394_k.jpgLaser Radial - Anne-Marie Rindom 2014 by Dansk Sejlunion, on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2255/2291436703_22c00ae4ec_b.jpgP2210018 by Brian McGinnis, on Flickr

29er

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3887/14652673621_8bd6d75fd0_k.jpgIsaf Youth Worlds_Day 3_29er-1-15 by International Sailing Federation Media Library, on Flickr

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3816/9916414323_34bba818b1_b.jpgShutterSail.com - Robert Hajduk || 29er World Championship - Aarhus 2013 || by Sailing Aarhus, on Flickr

*None of these are of me, they are just good examples of each boat*

So, are there any other Sailors on here? If so, what do you sail?

Thanks for any replies,
29er

jetwet1

RE: Any Other Sailors On Here?

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:58 am

Yep, sailed/owned everything from Lasers up to a 30 ft Sabre, i'm now out shopping for a new boat, but living where I do it will be a power boat.

I do miss the days of hanging in the trapeze, but honestly, i'm to old for that now 

Airstud

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:20 am

I don't believe in sailboats.
Pancakes are delicious.

MD11Engineer

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:37 am

My father had a "Koralle" when I was a teenager. My brother and I used to sail it off the Danish coast in the Kattegat.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

AzoresLover

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:34 pm

I'm wondering if any of you are familiar with a race that started at some point in England (I think it started in Plymouth, but don't remember for sure) and went to Horta, Faial, Azores. I had a friend in the Azores during the four years I lived there who had a home-built 36-foot catamaran, which we sailed all around the Azores. This was from 1973 to 1977. One year we sailed up north of the Azores and joined those boats coming down from England, and sailed on to Horta with them. That was fun. If memory serves, this was an annual thing. I have no idea now of course if this is still done, or how often if it is indeed still done.

We never raced the catamaran, just had a lot of fun sailing it all around the Azores. First time I'd ever seen flying fish, jumping out of the water just ahead of us and flying for several seconds to get away from us, then dropping back into the water. Really fun to watch! On one trip a whale came right up alongside us, spouting off periodically, and stayed with us for quite awhile, watching us, until finally it disappeared. What a great experience it was sailing all around the Azores back then!

[Edited 2015-06-20 06:35:28]
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

sturmovik

Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:15 pm

I'm a novice, having started only last fall. My only sailing accomplishment yet is that I haven't capsized  
'What's it doing now?'

29erUSA187
Topic Author

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:16 pm

Quoting sturmovik (Reply 5):
I'm a novice, having started only last fall. My only sailing accomplishment yet is that I haven't capsized  

Well, depending on the type of boat, capsizing is necessary to getting comfortable in the boat! I do it for fun sometimes on a hot day.

jetwet1

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:12 pm

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 6):
Well, depending on the type of boat, capsizing is necessary to getting comfortable in the boat! I do it for fun sometimes on a hot day.

But your first will always be on the coldest day.

Also, getting hit in the head with the boom will always happen in front of friends and family, along with the auto bailers playing up and you filling the boat half up with water.

Tugger

Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:38 pm

Quoting sturmovik (Reply 5):

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 7):
But your first will always be on the coldest day.

Also, getting hit in the head with the boom will always happen in front of friends and family,

I remember my first "in the water" moment. I was learning to sail as a teenager here in SD (at the MB Aquatic Center and we were learning on the good old Sabot. I was fine in the water, I can tread water better than most, but I was pretty pathological regarding "going down with the boat", I hated it, I feared it. So I made sure to never let it happen.

Sailing solo was great, then we had to sail as pairs. I did great again (yep tooting my own horn here) then my partner took over and the first thing he does is not warn my he is tacking.... the sail swings over, I'm trapped by it in the front of the boat, and the boat leans forward under the weight and pressure and we sail right into the water..... and I freak out. I completely capsize the boat, it becomes turned turtle with the mast stuck in the bay mud..... and I'm on top of the upturned hull and they need to use the launch to come get me and pull the pull out of the mud.  

Not one of my prouder moments, but it makes me smile nowadays. I continued to sail and got over my fears and did fine. Moved on to Lasers and and Omega's etc. and with the Laser had a blast doing just what you describe, intentionally tipping it over and getting in the water. Of course it was also a required part of the classes but it was damn fun. Plus you can't take the Laser to it's max unless you get right to that point and learn how to keep in there.

Didn't continue on much beyond those fours years of "fun sailing" other than a few times out with family and friends on their bigger boats. But I still enjoy sailing and when the chance comes up I do take it.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

txjim

Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:00 pm

I raced on a Catalina 25 followed by a Santana 3030 for many years. Don't race anymore, more interested in smaller boats including homebuilts.

I teach the Sailing merit badge to my son's Boy Scout troop (before he aged/Eagled out). I believe the most fun the scouts have is the capsize drill which is (rightly so) a badge requirement. Biggest problem we have is when other boaters in the area see us go over and rush to the scene, convinced we are near death! I'm not sure anyone believes me when I state that we did it on purpose.

Quoting Tugger (Reply 8):
and I freak out. I completely capsize the boat, it becomes turned turtle with the mast stuck in the bay mud

Turtled my H170 over (NOT on purpose, I'm afraid) and had the same thing happen. It's pretty beamy for it's size and had to get help dragging the thing to shallow water to get the mast in a position where I could right the boat. I believe we made the news in the local paper.

By the way, the most fun I've had on a boat recently was participating in an event called the Texas 200, where small, mostly homemade boats sail up the cost of Texas while camping along the way on barrier and dredging spoil islands. I have not been able to participate the last two events, will be back next June. My son was with me in 2012, I managed to catch him in his favorite position:
T200 Image

(Just kidding, he was better at the helm than I was)

signol

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:16 pm

I am a member of a trust that owns a 1900s wooden lugsail half decker on the Norfolk Broads. There are about 8 of us, so we can usually sail her whenever we like.
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/supine39/7536734256/

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7250/7536734256_623a202e73_b.jpg

signol

[Edited 2015-06-22 13:18:20]
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI