Finally

best regards
Thomas

[Edited 2015-06-26 08:10:12 by ManuCH]
This Singature is a safe space......

wingman

SCOTUS Rules Same Sex Marriage Legal

Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:45 pm

It is truly incredible that in this day and age there are people in this country opposed to gay marriage, the legal and happy union of free will of others. And then to see that there are four Supreme Court Justices with the same opinion is beyond hope..almost. Dangerous, ignorant, and useless fundamentalist conservatives in this country are a dying breed. I'll be drinking to that cheerful thought, and this ruling, later today.

This is a seriously awesome week for the United States.

pvjin

Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:49 pm

I'm glad this ruling passed, United States really seems to be getting better while Europe is sinking deeper into depths of misery.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

Adipasquale

Scotus Rules Same Sex Marriage Legal

Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:51 pm

This is a huge win for the American LGBT population and really shows how far we have come collectively as a nation in the past 10 years with regard to recognizing the rights of all people!

[Edited 2015-06-27 01:55:56 by ManuCH]
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 318 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77L 77W

Mir

Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Already I can hear the thundering sound of the end of civilization as we know it.   

Oh wait, that's just the construction going on outside. Lots of jackhammers there. Never mind, carry on.

Seriously, though: congratulations to the gay community. You've waited way too long for this, but I hope that makes it that much sweeter.   

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

flymia

Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:54 pm

This is the right decision IMO. Hopefully we can now stop making this a huge portion of national politics when IMO it was never a national political issue.

Quoting wingman (Reply 7):
And then to see that there are four Supreme Court Justices with the same opinion is beyond hope..almost.

Read the opinion first before putting them in the same group as right extremist. Their argument was about the constitution, and what the Supreme Court should and should not be able to do, which is a valid argument to make. Does not have to be the right one, but it is valid.

Link to the opinion: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...upreme%20Court%20decision%20(.PDF)

[Edited 2015-06-26 07:55:56]
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Airontario

Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:59 pm

Glad this happened.

America will look back on this in 20/30 years and wonder why it took so long to allow this, just as they do with inter-racial marriage.

A step in the right direction for sure.

Aaron747

RE: Scotus Rules Same Sex Marriage Legal

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:29 pm

This is a great day: for my friends, relatives, all who have waited so long, and American values in general.

I'm on my third shot of sake already.

[Edited 2015-06-27 01:56:26 by ManuCH]
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

wingman

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:38 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 11):
Read the opinion first before putting them in the same group as right extremist.

These four men are against the demeaning of the timeless institution of marriage. A lot of crap is "demeaning" and "timeless" to extreme conservatives. I'm glad legalizing interracial marriage, gay love, and a woman's right to vote wasn't left to five people of the same ilk.

It was a silly and stupid position to take because our country is founded on freedom and equality for all, and the right to the pursuit of happiness. Not even Scalia and all of his right wing conservative and bigoted brain cells could convince a fifth justice to go against those sacred principles. He tried though.

Mir

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:47 pm

Hopefully we can now stop making this a huge portion of national politics when IMO it was never a national political issue.

As if that would ever happen.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016...-marriage-ruling-n382441?cid=sm_fb

The GOP presidential candidates, continuing to paint themselves as completely out of touch with the modern day (with the exception of Bush and, perhaps strangely, Carson).  
Their argument was about the constitution, and what the Supreme Court should and should not be able to do, which is a valid argument to make. Does not have to be the right one, but it is valid.

The argument falls apart on even a cursory inspection. Roberts' dissent says "But this Court is not a legislature. Whether same-sex marriage is a good idea should be of no concern to us. Under the Constitution, judges have power to say what the law is, not what it should be." If that's the case, then the court should only interpret laws, never overturn them based on Constitutionality. Yet the court does overturn laws all the time (as they should be able to do, as that's one of their jobs). The idea that the traditional idea of marriage could be elevated to such a high pedestal that the Constitution no longer applies to questions regarding it is contrary to the very idea that we are a nation of laws and not a nation of faith, that it is the Constitution and not any particular faith that governs. The court is entirely within its bounds to decide that the Constitution protects a certain right (in this case the equal right to marry), and that by extension no state can prohibit it. Any idea to the contrary is pure hypocrisy given the justifications some of those same justices who dissented have given for other rulings in the past.

-Mir

einsteinboricua

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Needless to say, there are no words that describe how I feel right now. It is certainly a good day. I unfortunately do not have a significant other yet, but I'll go to bed tonight knowing that when I find him I won't have a problem the day the big question is popped.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

seb146

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:57 pm

What is the timetable for these so-called "Christians" to set themselves ablaze? That is about the most ridiculous thing they had said about this. Aside from "end of civilization" and "gays murdering people" and such.

Seriously, this is wonderful. Maybe I can finally convince the brosband to make this nine year thing we have legal and official.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

777way

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:00 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 19):
brosband

Whats that? brother husband?

garnetpalmetto

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:06 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 16):

The argument falls apart on even a cursory inspection. Roberts' dissent says "But this Court is not a legislature. Whether same-sex marriage is a good idea should be of no concern to us. Under the Constitution, judges have power to say what the law is, not what it should be." If that's the case, then the court should only interpret laws, never overturn them based on Constitutionality. Yet the court does overturn laws all the time (as they should be able to do, as that's one of their jobs). The idea that the traditional idea of marriage could be elevated to such a high pedestal that the Constitution no longer applies to questions regarding it is contrary to the very idea that we are a nation of laws and not a nation of faith, that it is the Constitution and not any particular faith that governs. The court is entirely within its bounds to decide that the Constitution protects a certain right (in this case the equal right to marry), and that by extension no state can prohibit it. Any idea to the contrary is pure hypocrisy given the justifications some of those same justices who dissented have given for other rulings in the past.

Exactly. One only has to look at Grumpy Cat...err..Scalia's dissent yesterday in King where he wanted to *gasp* overturn an action of an elected body. That's fine and dandy, but in this case it's not? Jurist, reverse thyself.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

einsteinboricua

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:11 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 20):
Quoting seb146 (Reply 19):
brosband

Whats that? brother husband?

It's his term for his partner who's like a bro (not blood-related brother, but brother in the sense of friend)...hence the term brosband.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

OA412

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:14 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 14):
Thanks, irrelevant. United States Constitution: Amendment 14, Section 1

Now, now. You all are being too harsh on Cadet. All he wants is to live in a country where the word of god is more important than the rule of law. I suggest we all chip in and buy him a one-way ticket to Iran.   

This is the right decision IMO. Hopefully we can now stop making this a huge portion of national politics when IMO it was never a national political issue.

I offer you abortion as Exhibit A. Roe v. Wade was decided in 1973...

Quoting luckyone (Reply 22):
I mean this with respect...but whose god? By and large, your god is not accepted here

Assuming he's Muslim, Allah and god are the same thing/person/entity.

[Edited 2015-06-26 09:17:48]
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

MSPNWA

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:22 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 16):
The GOP presidential candidates, continuing to paint themselves as completely out of touch with the modern day (with the exception of Bush and, perhaps strangely, Carson).

They're not out of touch with me, and I think I'm living in the modern day. I'm glad they have the spine to stand up for right, instead of wrong, and not just go with the flow. We wouldn't have a country without those people.

Anyway, I'm very disappointing but not surprised at the decision. In the end God will be in control. And if it means less blessing for this country, so be it. That will naturally happen in the form of more children raised in unhealthy environments. The need for both a female mother and male father can't just be erased. And mark my words, this is not the end of the sexual rights movement. Just allowing gays to marry won't be enough. There will come a day when allowing just two to marry will be questioned.

[Edited 2015-06-26 09:25:28]

luckyone

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:26 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 28):
There will come a day when allowing just two to marry will be question.

Which would have a Biblical precedent...yet so many social conservatives are against it. Hmmmm... I personally have no qualms with what consenting adults want to do with each other. Biblical interpretations and "right and wrong" are a lot more fluid than you apparently want to believe. God is the ultimate judge. The problem is too many people use God as a proxy for their own judgment.

SpaceshipDC10

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:27 pm

A great day indeed. I'm very happy that the Supreme Court helped the country evolve for the better and finally enter the 21st century for that matter.

Quoting tommy1808 (Thread starter):
Finally

So true!

[Edited 2015-06-26 11:16:52 by ManuCH]

OA412

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:30 pm

They're not out of touch with me, and I think I'm living in the modern day.

No, you're not. Whether you need to be brought to the modern day kicking and screaming or not, you're not living in it. The world has changed and moved on. You all protesting this decision are no better than those who would continue to deny people of color their basic civil rights four decades ago. When this era's history is written, you will be on the wrong side of it.

We wouldn't have a country without those people.

Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

hoons90

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:35 pm

What an incredible day for America and everyone who believes in equality! Congratulations from Canada, and welcome to the club!
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

falstaff

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:35 pm

I used to actually care about this issue then I was asked to become an "internet minister" by a friend so I could perform the ceremony at their wedding. The process was pretty much just a money grab and I became ordained. That got me thinking about how I am just as legally able to perform weddings as the priest at my church, who went through years of training. In my opinion he is a real minister and I am not, but in the eyes of the state we are the same.

After I married my friends (male and female) I sent the appropriate forms to the country in which they resided. There was NOTHING on the form about religion or love, it was just a government form. I have to jump through more hoops to renew my teaching certificate. After all of that I figured anyone could marry whoever they wanted because the state doesn't care about religion. I am very conservative and don't care about gays getting married, because I don't want the state telling people how to live their life.

I am a Christian and am active in my church, which is part of a very liberal denomination (Episcopal). Our particular church is very conservative and traditional and I like it like that, but I don't have a problem with people wanting to worship differently. One of the things that gets me upset is that in this day and age the word Christian is a code word for evangelical types. Not all Christians are evangelicals, but we are often painted with one broad brush. There are lots of Christian denomination who aren't bigoted toward gays or anyone else for that matter, but we all get lumped in with the evangelical crowd.

I am a delegate for the Episcopal Diocese of Michigan and I feel out of place at convention as a conservative straight white man. The convention would be a great place to meet women, if I was a gay woman.

A couple of years ago an Episcopal church in Detroit "married" to women and even put it in their newsletter. I asked our priest how that was possible because gay marriage was illegal. Our priest said he wouldn't marry a same sex couple, but he told me why some priests where doing it. A couple can be married in the eyes of God, but not in the eyes of the state. Likewise a person married outside the church would be married as recognized by the state, but not married in the eyes of God. Since the state doesn't recognize a marriage without a license it doesn't make any difference. Some people only care about marriage in the eyes of god to begin with.
With gay marriage now the law of the land I am sure there will be plenty of gay divorce and the lawyers will love a new crop of people. If half of all straight marriages fail I am sure that half of gay ones will too. I actually suspect gays will have a higher divorce rate for a while because I bet a bunch of people will rush out and get married because they can, not because they really want to.

I don't want the state coming into places of worship and telling them they must marry gays. I wouldn't have a problem marrying a same sex couple, but don't want to infringe on anyone's religious beliefs.

If your interested I'll perform a marriage ceremony for two cases of beer.

[Edited 2015-06-26 09:54:42]
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

727LOVER

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Justice Scalia NOT happy...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/scalia...sed-anthony-kennedy-145933617.html

How much longer will this old curmudgeon be up there?   
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:39 pm

In the end God will be in control. And if it means less blessing for this country, so be it.

Hahahaha. Who's he movin on too then? I hear Uganda is full of great christians and really 'stand up for whats' right in terms of gay rights! Maybe that would be the right move at this point in time. Is he also going from Yankees to Dodgers?

And i did'nt know he bestowed blessings based on geopolitical boundaries either. Fascinating.

The ridiculousness of these concepts is unmatched!!
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

lostsound

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:48 pm

Anyway, I'm very disappointing but not surprised at the decision. In the end God will be in control. And if it means less blessing for this country, so be it. That will naturally happen in the form of more children raised in unhealthy environments. The need for both a female mother and male father can't just be erased. And mark my words, this is not the end of the sexual rights movement. Just allowing gays to marry won't be enough. There will come a day when allowing just two to marry will be questioned.

You don't get to decide what God thinks of homosexuality. There are a lot of signs that the bible says it is okay and a lot of signs that say it is not. You are selecting to ignore the ones that say it is okay to fuel your own blind disliking for homosexuality. In the end it has nothing to do with you. If you don't like, don't be a homosexual.

Gay couples have been raising perfectly healthy and competent children for years. What a child needs is the unconditional love and support of a family, not a "female" and a "male". I'm sorry that you don't see it that way.

You've got to be kidding me with the polygamist crud. This is about TWO men of legal age who have fallen in love and would like to celebrate their future together with a wedding. It is not a corrupt idea, it harms no one biologically or emotionally. We are all human beings and a drastic amount of studies have concluded that homosexuality is most likely genetic. Preventing people who are in no wrong from being themselves is a giant step back towards human rights. Loving 2 other people and wanting to marry them both, that's not genetic. It's entirely different and has barely anything to do with core human rights.

Tugger

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:49 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 33):
If your interested I'll perform a marriage ceremony for two cases of beer.

Nice! Great post!    I like reality and dealing with real people.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Aaron747

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:53 pm

Not all Christians are evangelicals, but we are often painted with one broad brush. There are lots of Christian denomination who aren't bigoted toward gays or anyone else for that matter, but we all get lumped in with the evangelical crowd.

You're a respectable guy and a good Christian because you don't put your values ahead of anyone else's - it's clear by your statements that you live by them and that's good enough. I salute you and all like you.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11215114_10153468141003281_4245090740431837039_n.jpg?oh=2c93e1d7f52e1d4b3ef0ad2e91bcfd2b&oe=561A57F9

That will naturally happen in the form of more children raised in unhealthy environments. The need for both a female mother and male father can't just be erased.

Statements completely devoid of any scientific basis or societal relevance, thanks.

Just allowing gays to marry won't be enough. There will come a day when allowing just two to marry will be questioned.

Classic logical fallacy. Next....

Quoting 777way (Reply 18):
Fact remains we can break every law God ordained but it dosent mean they are irreelevant or people will not be held accountable for it by him.

In a secular country with religious freedom for all, this statement is irrelevant.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

mbmbos

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:00 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 17):
I unfortunately do not have a significant other yet, but I'll go to bed tonight knowing that when I find him I won't have a problem the day the big question is popped.

Not to worry, if this is what you want your day will come. In the meantime, you should spend the weekend going all out "jiggery pokery" - in the words of Scalia.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

MaverickM11

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:02 pm

There will come a day when allowing just two to marry will be questioned.

Well then by all means the christians should push for rape victims to marry their rapist. Says so in teh bible.
E pur si muove -Galileo

luckyone

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:05 pm

I don't want the state coming into places of worship and telling them they must marry gays. I wouldn't have a problem marrying a same sex couple, but don't want to infringe on anyone's religious beliefs.

Elana Kagan pointed in arguments that Jewish rabbis have been refusing to marry non-Jews for years and it hasn't been a problem. Relax people.

tommy1808
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:05 pm

Just allowing gays to marry won't be enough. There will come a day when allowing just two to marry will be questioned.

Yes, please! I hate that I can't get married just because I can't marry both my gf's. We can't even be a really family should we ever have children. ..

Best regards
Thomas

29erUSA187

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:06 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 1):

I don't know what you mean by this post, but last I checked the United States was governed by the Constitution/Bill of Rights, and not the Bible. Secular State. Ever heard of separation of Church and State?

Congrats to the LGBT community

luckyone

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:07 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 34):
Justice Scalia NOT happy...

Religious zealots tend not to be.

Quoting 777way (Reply 39):
There is no your God, my God isthe same one worshipped by Christians and Jews, its in the Quran, no Arab created a God of his own as a me too thingy, he taught us to follow the Abrahamic God, the Arabic name for whom is Allah, just as its not God for Christians and Jews in non English vocabulary.

The reality is that is a different God. We do not share religious texts. Our view of Christ is different.

falstaff

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:14 pm

I have this sticker on my truck and on my tool box

I have heard these words in church my entire life and I believe them.

This appears on page 76 of the 1928 Book of Common Prayer of the Protestant Episcopal Church of the United States of America.

"So God loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, to the end that all that believe in him should not parish, but have everlasting life" St. John iii. I6

"Hear also is what Saint Paul saith, This is a true saying, and worthy of all men to be received, That Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners". I Tim. I5

"Hear also what Saint John saith. If any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and he is the Propitiation for our sins." St. John ii I, 2.

Those words mean a lot to me because they say ALL men (as in mankind) not just a certain type of person. We are all sinners.

Not too many Episcopal churches use the 1928 liturgy anymore, but I think it still said it the commonly used 1979 liturgy. I am pretty sure these words are in the 1962 Anglican prayer book too.

ltbewr

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:19 pm

With this momentous decision, a clear change for the good is finally happening. I think I heard heads of social conservatives explode like firecrackers as to this decision   

This decision also presents new challenges and acceptance in real life - look at the dissenting opinions of the the no voting Justices. The next big step will be the need to change laws and policy at all levels of government and private employers as to employee benefits, who can perform or not be able to deny doing a same-sex marriage ceremony, huge changes as to tax, inheritance, adoption and many day to day rights marriage confers. Of course the law won't change personal or religious prejudices, it may put some businesses that don't want do serve Gay couples with some serious problems, but in the end this decision is was right.

falstaff

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:21 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 45):
Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 28): Just allowing gays to marry won't be enough. There will come a day when allowing just two to marry will be questioned.
Yes, please! I hate that I can't get married just because I can't marry both my gf's. We can't even be a really family should we ever have children. ..

I doubt too many people would want to marry multiple people. If somebody had two wives/husbands they could gang up on you if they were mad. More than two people just sounds like a recipe for being miserable..

SpaceshipDC10

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:29 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 50):
With this momentous decision, a clear change for the good is finally happening.

It's really time it happens indeed, coming from that country and the impact it has on many levels around the world.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 50):
I think I heard heads of social conservatives explode like firecrackers as to this decision

727LOVER

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:30 pm

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Mir

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:41 pm

We wouldn't have a country without those people.

We'd have a much better country without those people. Imagine if we could focus our attention on solving the problems with the the economy, with healthcare, with what to do about foreign policy, etc. without worrying about what everyone is doing in their private lives and trying to legally compel everyone to live by a certain moral code that not everyone subscribes to. Leave that stuff to the gossip columnists, not the law.

-Mir

29erUSA187

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:43 pm

Quoting CplKlinger (Reply 55):

I get that you are in support of Gay Rights by your post, but can we please leave out the bible in this. Religious Texts are NOT legal documents in the United States. Period.

CplKlinger

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:49 pm

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 57):
I get that you are in support of Gay Rights by your post, but can we please leave out the bible in this. Religious Texts are NOT legal documents in the United States. Period.

I was trying to point out that dear Cadet apparently hadn't read all of his book. I get that it's not a legal document. I was trying to point out some simple hypocrisy. Calm down and untiwst your underwear, please.

Besides, if the religious right wants to keep trotting out their beliefs, why shouldn't I be able to tell them how they apparently failed to study them?

ManuCH
Head Moderator

Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:12 pm

As was unfortunately to be expected, this thread is already getting out of hand. We don't want to lock or delete it, though, as this is very important news.

To keep it civil, please keep discussions about religion out of this thread. If you wish to discuss religion, please open a separate one.

Thank you!
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

flipdewaf

Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:14 pm

In the end God will be in control.

at least you aren't totally blind as to what religion really is. If God did exist (never seen any evidence for it) and he didn't want everyone to be equal and have equal rights then it/she/he would clearly be a bit of a twat so wouldn't warrant any worship.

Well done to the US, land of the free and a much better place for many after this.

Fred

Osubuckeyes

Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:21 pm

This is a big day for many across the nation. I raise a glass to anyone willing to drink for love!

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 42):
Ever heard of separation of Church and State?

If marriage is a religious construct then why is any type of marriage defined at all by the State?

Tugger

Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:27 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 51):
I doubt too many people would want to marry multiple people. If somebody had two wives/husbands they could gang up on you if they were mad. More than two people just sounds like a recipe for being miserable..

I have always had it comes down to "Who do you love/commit to the most?" and "Who in turn declares the same for you?" The question divides itself down even if you insert multiple people, who do you of these people, who do you of these people... etc. "if two people are sick and need care and you can only care for one, who are you going to care for?".. down until there are just two.

I guess there can by situations where A will commit to B, and B commits to C, and C commits to D, and D commits to E, and E commits to A....(etc. some permutation of this) that would balance out I guess, but I'll believe it when I see it actually work with people effectively the way it is supposed to work in theory.

Two people is the ultimate core of any "caring group" at its most basic level. But ultimately this is a discussion for another day and I will listen to those that wish to address it and see what I think. And if it makes it to court, then it will be considered there (regarding what the state must recognize). And of course this does not change what a religion or individual people will think of it and decide is best.

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 56):
Quoting falstaff (Reply 59):
I know us straight people didn't learn how to have sex in school. At least I didn't.

not even the mechanics? How to use a condom and such?

We teach that at church, my kids got a very comprehensive sex education at our church. What was taught at school was pretty pathetic.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

tommy1808
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:31 pm

I see Facebook campaigns had been prepared and ready to go to blast the Supreme Court?

Why do I think even my grandkids will still hear about this?

Best regards
Thomas

Adipasquale

Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:36 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 24):
I'm very disappointing but not surprised at the decision. In the end God will be in control. And if it means less blessing for this country, so be it.

Our country doesn't need God's blessing, we are a secular nation.

Quote:
That will naturally happen in the form of more children raised in unhealthy environments. The need for both a female mother and male father can't just be erased.

There is absolutely zero evidence that suggests children raised by gay couples turn out any differently than those raised by heterosexual couples. Anything that says something to the contrary is complete BS. Some of the most well-adjusted people I know were raised by gay parents.

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 24):
They're not out of touch with me, and I think I'm living in the modern day. I'm glad they have the spine to stand up for right, instead of wrong, and not just go with the flow. We wouldn't have a country without those people.

With all due respect, these retrograde beliefs really are out of touch. If you look at people of my generation (born after 1990), the vast majority, regardless of political ideology, believe gay marriage should be legal. We may be young and naive, but at least we're not a bunch of bigots. Furthermore, this is not a matter of "having a spine," it is a matter of realizing that all people, regardless of their sexual orientation, deserve to be looked upon equally by the law.
Edit: it is very heartening to see here that the vast majority of people agree with the Supreme Court's ruling and it really shows that it was the right decision!

[Edited 2015-06-26 11:38:46]

[Edited 2015-06-26 11:40:07]
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 318 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77L 77W

vikkyvik

Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:44 pm

This is freaking awesome.

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 52):
If marriage is a religious construct then why is any type of marriage defined at all by the State?

There's civil marriage and there's religious marriage. They just usually happen during the same ceremony.

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 50):
To keep it civil, please keep discussions about religion out of this thread. If you wish to discuss religion, please open a separate one.

Not to be an @ss, but the very first reply in this thread deals with religion only.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Tugger

Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:51 pm

A good side effect of this ruling is what it does for the transgender community!

No longer is the issue of "marriage" and the persons status in one or in a future one needing to be an issue. The TG community already has big enough battles in life and identity regarding the state and their communities and families to get through, to have one less thing to worry about is a good thing.

Tugg

Adipasquale

Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:54 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 50):

Please don't lock or delete it, this is a very compelling topic!

Religion is really inseparable from this discussion because the only arguments people can put out against gay marriage are based in religion. I have not seen a secular argument against gay marriage in this thread, so if people want to leave religion out of it, that's great because then there is really no argument!