Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q

RE: The Rolling Stones

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:19 am

Some peoples taste can never be refined..
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

vikkyvik

Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:59 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 50):

You got that right...

Quoting Max Q (Reply 35):
True test of a great band. No matter how many times you hear them they never get boring.

There's only a few bands that meet that criteria, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd are good examples.

Queen were really great, no question, but they don't fit into that category.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

DIRECTFLT

Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:14 am

I saw The Stones on the Steel Wheels tour. They did not disappoint. There's NOTHING like The Stones!

I have seen all of the Major bands of the 70's, with the glaring exception of Pink Floyd. I just didn't have any money left in '77 to go and see them....

I once tried to get in to see The Stones on their "Small Halls Tour" in the late 70's... but that was impossible.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Kiwirob

Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:52 am

Here you have me wrong as well, I do like the Stones, I've got most of there early albums. The Stones put on a good show, I've seen them three times, but Mick as a front man isn't a patch on Mercury, never was, never will be.
I'd pay to see the Stones play an instrumental show without Mick.

Max Q

Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:09 pm

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 52):
I saw The Stones on the Steel Wheels tour. They did not disappoint. There's NOTHING like The Stones!

There is not, the Rolling Stones are the greatest band of all time.

GGg

Adipasquale
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:12 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 54):
the Rolling Stones are the greatest band of all time.

Truer words have never been spoken, my friend.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 318 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77L 77W

Kiwirob

Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:48 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 48):
Err, yes. Hence surprise....

You know nothing zckls04

zckls04

Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:56 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 56):
You know nothing zckls04

You can't write 9000 posts and not reveal some measure of your character. Unless everything's an elaborate hoax, but then you'd just be mental.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Boeing717200

Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:41 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 53):

Here you have me wrong as well, I do like the Stones, I've got most of there early albums. The Stones put on a good show, I've seen them three times, but Mick as a front man isn't a patch on Mercury, never was, never will be.
I'd pay to see the Stones play an instrumental show without Mick.

This. Yes, Freddie is dead. But please. Mick? I think some hang on the Stones because they're all that's left from that era. I'd call the Stones an acquired taste. Nothing was as bombastic as Queen. They were effing rediculous.

I'd also put Aerosmith and Leppard in the category of great shows. They both nail it every time. Song is king.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

Aaron747

Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:18 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 10):
Bands today it's hard to go past U2, they put on an amazing show, Foo Fighers no fancy screens or lighting just awesome music

Have to agree - on this latest tour, U2 is sounding and playing better than in years, and the Fighters purely kick ass every single show. Springsteen doesn't disappoint either. There are a lot of good young artists out there, but a lot of the more successful ones really can't compete with the old guard acts because they simply don't have the same passion and it shows onstage. Mariah Carey and her lip syncing failures? GMFB and she doesn't even have to play an instrument at that....
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

GDB

Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:26 pm

Never seen the Stones live, I don't dislike them Though I also think their best work was in those four albums between 1968-72 and cannot easily explain why I won't go see them but have seen other 'veteran' groups in the past few years.
Perhaps it's because the Stones have never really been away (OK, a period in the 1980's) so they have not really been missed.

On a far more modest level and probably unknown to many outside the UK, when the Punk/Ska legends The Specials re-formed in 2009 I was delighted, last Sunday was the 5th time I have seen them since (unusual venue too, outside at Kew Gardens).
Because though I loved them first time around, I was just too young to get to see them (in those days there was a real generation gap in music), before their split - at the height of their success in 1981.

They had not been around long and were so missed, they never got the chance to outstay their welcome.
It also helped that when they came back they seemed to have barely aged, one founder member Jerry Dammers wanted 'letters of apology' from all of the band before he would join them, sensibly the rest of the band went on without him, imagine that attitude on the tour-bus.

The same sort of thing applied to The Sex Pistols, I was way too young to ever see them back in the day but when they re-formed for a few gigs in 1996 I took the snobbish view of 'old farts trashing their legacy for a few quid'.
Then those I knew who did go, plus an impassioned open letter from Creation Records boss Alan McGee in the music press, made it clear I was wrong.
It was after all the original line up, with Glenn Matlock, an important contributor before their manager played silly buggers and replaced him with the hopeless, useless and doomed Sid.

When they did the same in 2007 and 2008 you bet I was there.
Yes they parodied themselves as people but they were shit hot live, the shows were both stunning and funny.

jacobin777

Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:36 pm

Quoting adipasquale (Thread starter):
Has anyone else been to any of their concerts and if so, what did you think?
Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 52):
Steel Wheels tour.

Yup..me too! Saw them in Alpine Valley back in 1989. Living Color was the opening band on both nights.

Coincidentally, I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan's last show at Alpine Valley as well. I was a couple of thousand feet away in the parking lot when his helicopter crashed.  
Quoting ER757 (Reply 8):
Several months later saw The Who (last time with Moonie still alive)

Soooooo lucky...!
"Up the Irons!"

ER757

Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:58 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 61):
Coincidentally, I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan's last show at Alpine Valley as well

Right back at ya on the sooooooo lucky comment. Never saw him in concert, one of my great regrets.

Kiwirob

Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 58):
I think some hang on the Stones because they're all that's left from that era.

McCartney is still left from that ERA, as is Cliff Richard, Macca puts on a fantastic show, and without Cliff and the Shadows there never would have been a British rock invasion, he kicked it all off, the Shadows were the pioneers of the 4 instrument format, lead, rhythm & bass guitar and drums. I'm no Cliff fan, but you have to give the guy credit where credit is due, it's a crying shame he's not in the Rock and Roll HOF, it's the Halls single biggest omission.

ER757

Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:38 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 63):
I'm no Cliff fan, but you have to give the guy credit where credit is due, it's a crying shame he's not in the Rock and Roll HOF, it's the Halls single biggest omission.

I think Deep Purple and Yes are bigger omissions than Cliff Richard.
What's the first song any kid learns when he picks up a guitar? Smoke on the Water.
Who pretty much wrote the book on progressive rock in the 70's and kept on going for nearly 40 years? Yes
Just my opinion of course

Kiwirob

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:18 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 64):
I think Deep Purple and Yes are bigger omissions than Cliff Richard.

Chances are without Cliff and the Shadows Deep Purple and Yes might never have existed.

Max Q

Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:17 am

Er, sorry but Cliff Richard has absolutely no connection to rock & roll.

GGg

Kiwirob

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:43 pm

Really Max then you have no understanding of the history of British music, Cliff and the Shadows were the start of everything, without them there would be no Beatles, no Beatles music wouldn't be what it is today.

Move It is considered to be the first British rock and roll single.

[Edited 2015-07-23 12:48:32]

ER757

Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:32 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 67):
Cliff and the Shadows were the start of everything, without them there would be no Beatles, no Beatles music wouldn't be what it is today.

That's a bit of an overstatement. The Beatles would still have been around and still been huge. Their influences included the likes of Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Ray Charles, all of whom were performing and recording without any input from Cliff Richard. Rock and Roll would have been very much alive as a whole as well - it was born of the blues and early R&B.

YVRLTN

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:46 am

Theres only one thing better than The Stones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg1VjxuJiio
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

comorin

Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:54 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 67):

We say yeah!  

You are absolutely right. While I did think of Cliff back in the day as a Pop artist rather than a Rock artist, my mind changed after seeing the last concert at O2. They were simply amazing. Let's also not forget Hank Marvin and the Shadows, responsible for many a poor boy dreaming of playing "Apache"someday!