Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

747400sp
Topic Author

The Luxury 11, Top Current Luxury Cars

Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:27 pm

Hello

I thought car lovers, would like this article.

http://carpreview.com/lists/2015/11-best-luxury-cars/11/

Kiwirob

RE: The Luxury 11, Top Current Luxury Cars

Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:41 pm

Stupid list, no Bentley, no Rolls Royce, Jaguar XJ, BMW 7 Series, Audi A8. Then they stuffed it with fillers like the C Class and Model S? Whoever wrote it was an idiot.

My list (in no order)

Rolls Royce Phantom and Ghost
Bentley Mulsanne and Flying Spur
Aston Martin Lagonda Taraf
Lexus LS
BMW 7 Series
Mercedes S Class
Audi A8
Jaguar XJ
Maserati Quattroporte

These are the top luxury sedans, there are no others that I can think of in production today (or near production Lagonda Taraf), and no I'm not including the copycat junk from China.

BMI727

Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:57 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 1):

Stupid list, no Bentley, no Rolls Royce, Jaguar XJ, BMW 7 Series, Audi A8. Then they stuffed it with fillers like the C Class and Model S? Whoever wrote it was an idiot

It's a useless clickbait listicle.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

andz

Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:17 pm

Good to see my car there, the BMW 3 is a fabulous car without spending stupid money.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

747400sp
Topic Author

Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:20 pm

Will the new Cadillac CT6, be added to the list?

CXB77L

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:13 pm

Stupid list, no Bentley, no Rolls Royce, Jaguar XJ, BMW 7 Series, Audi A8. Then they stuffed it with fillers like the C Class and Model S? Whoever wrote it was an idiot.

I have to agree. It's not a list of top luxury cars unless it has the Bentley Mulsanne, Bentley Flying Spur, Rolls-Royce Ghost and the Rolls-Royce Phantom among the top 4.

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 4):

Depends on how long the list is, I guess. I agree mostly with KiwiRob list of 11 cars above, but I'd add the Rolls-Royce Wraith and Bentley Continental GT in place of the Lexus LS and make it a top 12 list (or 13 if you count the S-class coupe as a separate car to the S-class sedan.

Ultimately, I believe there's nothing in the world that's a match for the technological brilliance of the Mercedes-Benz S-class, nor the handcrafted elegance, timeless design and sheer presence of each of the Bentleys and Rolls-Royces.
Boeing 777 fanboy

bunumuring

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:26 pm

Best luxury car I've driven? Holden Statesman. Just shading a Lexus CS300 (I think it was...I'm an a.net fanatic, not a c.net one, lol) and BMW 3 Series. Maybe I'm just too patriotic for my own good!

Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

B777LRF

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 4):

Depends who compiles the list. In the US and the ME? Almost certainly. Outside of those areas? Not much of a chance, and in Europe I'd put the chances between naught and zero.

The core definition of a luxury car is, in my people's opinion, 'One that is built in Europe. Germany, England or Italy to be precise.'

But this is not a list solely of luxury segment cars, but rather of the 'upper middle class'. With that in mind, the S-class Merc doesn't really fit in.

If we're looking at the upper-mid, my list is along these lines:

BMW 5-series
Audi A6
Merc E-class
Maserati Ghibli
Jaguar XF
Tesla P85

... and that's about it, really. Notice how I deliberatly didn't include badge engineered Toyota's or Datsun's  
Signature. You just read one.

na

Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:20 pm

I agree. Any luxury car list without a Bentley and Rolls-Royce on it is useless, and wrong. Luxury means rarity, while all of the cars listed are everyday executive expresses. A car that is being built 50.000 times a year, or more, isnt true luxury.

In no particular (but realistic) order a top-11-luxury-list of limousines would read like this:

RR Phantom
RR Ghost
Bentley Mulsanne
Bentley Flying Spur
Aston Martin Lagonda
Mercedes S Maybach
Mercedes S AMG
Maserati Quattroporte
Jaguar XJ
Tesla S
BMW 7-series

The A8 just falls short of this list, being no.12.

Definitely nothing ever comes close to a Phantom in luxury and automotive charisma. Whoever says so has never ever driven in one. A S-Class Merc feels like an upmarket VW Golf beside it.

Kiwirob

Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:00 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 6):
Best luxury car I've driven? Holden Statesman.

You need to drive some more cars.

Quoting na (Reply 8):
Tesla S

No no no no, have you been inside one, the interior quality, fit and finish are complete rubbish. Panel gaps are also pretty poor.

Quoting na (Reply 8):
The A8 just falls short of this list, being no.12.

Whereas the A8 on the other hand is better built with much better fit and finish than any of it's German contemporaries, and literally leagues above the Model S, which isn't any better than your everyday Ford or GM product.

Longhornmaniac

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:13 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 9):
No no no no, have you been inside one, the interior quality, fit and finish are complete rubbish. Panel gaps are also pretty poor.

The interior is sexy as hell. And it's really, really fast, and rides really well.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

BMI727

Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:10 am

Quoting na (Reply 8):
Definitely nothing ever comes close to a Phantom in luxury and automotive charisma.

The distinguished and imposing style I get, but to me it seems that luxury isn't like performance where for the most part you can always get more by paying more. In anything close to practical terms, I can't see that something like a Phantom or Mulsanne has enough more luxury beyond a well spec'd S-Class to justify the cost.

That said, I'm disappointed the new Lagonda won't be coming to the US.

The design is nice with the large screen interface and all, but I agree that they don't seem well put together. The best materials don't mean much if they aren't put together well.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Kiwirob

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:16 am

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 10):

The interior is sexy as hell. And it's really, really fast, and rides really well.

Having a sexy looking (but badly built) interior and being really really fast does not make a luxury sedan.

na

Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:30 am

A world apart from a Rolls-Royce in finish, yes, but still a great saloon car, and a fantastic concept. A newcomer needs time to get the details right.

Whereas the A8 on the other hand is better built with much better fit and finish than any of it's German contemporaries, and literally leagues above the Model S, which isn't any better than your everyday Ford or GM product.

I forgot also the VW Phaeton, which is also a competent luxury car, extremely well built and undervalued in the market due to the rather ordinary brand.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 11):
In anything close to practical terms, I can't see that something like a Phantom or Mulsanne has enough more luxury beyond a well spec'd S-Class to justify the cost.

And there is your mistake, luxury is not about practical terms, its about exclusivity and materials. Put a S-class next to a Phantom, and the Mercedes is just a glorified Golf. As the CEO of RR put it: the competition to a RR is not another car, its a yacht. A S-class is a very fine tool, a RR the ultimate gift given to yourself. Thats the difference between just luxury and true luxury. Or put it this way: the average RR owner drives a S-class, 7-series BMW or similar (an RR-driving friend of mine has a Phaeton) on weekdays, to be thrown away after some years. The RR is for weekends, special occasions or just for fun inbetween for a change to the "boring" S, and to keep for a long time. Btw, instead of RR you can also put in Bentley. A guy I know in the neighbourhood for a long time owns and regularly drives a 45-year-old Bentley. He holds this very reliable classic in much higher regard than the S-Class he also has for the lower work.

A342

Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:50 pm

Quoting na (Reply 8):
Definitely nothing ever comes close to a Phantom in luxury and automotive charisma.

Luxury? Maybe.
Charisma? Hell, no! From the outsde, it is an embarassing, boastful, horribly looking wheeled tank. The Bentley Mulsanne is hardly any better.

Now a Bentley or a Rolls Royce produced until 1999, those were fine cars indeed.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

na

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:24 pm

Quoting A342 (Reply 14):
Now a Bentley or a Rolls Royce produced until 1999, those were fine cars indeed.

I agree with you, the classic RRs and Bentley were generally nicer to look at.
As for the new ones, the Wraith is fantastic looking, and the Continental GT. The Ghost is a fine car to, well balanced but with an air of aloofness. The Phantom is in a world of its own.
All RRs and Bs are more interesting than all the ordinary luxury cars which design is aimed to please Mr. Average and Dr. Norm.

A342

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:21 pm

Quoting na (Reply 15):
All RRs and Bs are more interesting than all the ordinary luxury cars which design is aimed to please Mr. Average and Dr. Norm.

To me, a luxury car should be understated. The real gentleman doesn't boast about his wealth like the Nouveau riche does, he enjoys it quietly. That's what makes an A8 so interesting to me. And there's probably no other engine out there combining power and fuel economy as well as the latest version of the 4.2 TDI.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

na

Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:02 pm

Quoting A342 (Reply 16):
To me, a luxury car should be understated.

To me, not necessarily. Why hide? Afraid of an own statement? Owning something that stands out is not boasting.

Quoting A342 (Reply 16):
That's what makes an A8 so interesting to me. And there's probably no other engine out there combining power and fuel economy as well as the latest version of the 4.2 TDI.

Nice car, but its a rather ordinary one that you see everyday, and by the dozen if you are living in a bigger city. Also all Audis look the same. Pretty, but too boring for me to contemplate it as a possible buy.
Thats not true luxury to me. True luxury is if you own something that very few have, and something that has outstanding looks. I cant see that in an A8 at all.