Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

photopilot
Topic Author

R.I.P. Jules Bianchi

Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:16 am

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2015/0...onths-after-japanese-gp-crash.html

9 months after his horrific crash at the Japanese GP, F1 driver Jules Bianchi has lost his fight and passed away.

This is the first race fatality in F1 since the late Ayrton Senna in 1994.

RIP Jules.

910A

RE: R.I.P. Jules Bianchi

Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:18 am

Quoting photopilot (Thread starter):

No fatalities for twenty years is an huge accomplishment in a any type of auto racing..

B747forever

Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:28 am

Quoting 910A (Reply 1):

Quoting photopilot (Thread starter):

No fatalities for twenty years is an huge accomplishment in a any type of auto racing..

It might be, but his death is still one too many. Heard about this yesterday morning, and I still cannot get over it. That tractor shouldnt have been out there in those conditions.
Work Hard, Fly Right

jetblueguy22

Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:19 am

RIP

Maybe some of you can clear up something for me on this. Now bear with me, I try to watch F1 races whenever they're on, but it's always some God awful time, so I end up missing them. I'm a big NASCAR fan. Whenever something happens and a driver needs assistance the entire field goes under the yellow flag. Why isn't this the case in F1? I would think sending out the safety car and have cars line up behind it would be the safest method besides sending them to the pits, no?
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

larshjort

Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:11 am

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 3):
RIP

Maybe some of you can clear up something for me on this. Now bear with me, I try to watch F1 races whenever they're on, but it's always some God awful time, so I end up missing them. I'm a big NASCAR fan. Whenever something happens and a driver needs assistance the entire field goes under the yellow flag. Why isn't this the case in F1? I would think sending out the safety car and have cars line up behind it would be the safest method besides sending them to the pits, no?
Pat

In NASCAR and Indycar a yellow flag is almost always a full course caution and a safetycar. In F1 until last year you had yellow flag, double vawed yellow flags and safetycar. The yellow flag and double vawed yellow flags are used for a local problem on the track and requires drivers to be ready to slow down and to slow down because of workers on the track respectively. The issue is that they had no way of monitoring if the drivers were slowing down and it wasn't specified how much they had to slow down. This year vawed yellow flags requiere either safety car or a virtual safetycar where the drivers are give nminumum sectortimes they have to be slower than.

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

MadameConcorde

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:59 pm

There are posts on Jules departure from this world here. I thought there was going to be no new thread.

F1 2015: British GP (by GrahamHill Jul 3 2015 in Non Aviation)

Jules Bianchi's funeral ceremony will be taking place in Nice this Tuesday morning.

at 10.00 AM
Sainte Réparate Cathedral
(in the old city)
in Nice

http://www.nicematin.com/nice/les-ob...brees-ce-mardi-a-nice.2291809.html

Rest in Peace handsome young champion.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Aesma

Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:02 pm

RIP Jules Bianchi.

In NASCAR stopping the race is really part of the race, whereas in F1 it's detrimental to the sport, so is avoided as much as possible. I feel the new virtual safety car is quite good, the actual safety car with the backmarkers having to speed during one lap to catch up the back of the field is ridiculous.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

flyingturtle

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:58 pm

Quoting 910A (Reply 1):

I might be weird, evil and very sarcastic, but to me car racing has gotten way too safe. I really do like watching crashes and fireballs. Nobody is forced to risk his/her life in motor sports. I would never do motor sport myself if it weren't safe. I do not want to lose my own life for I want to do many, many things in my future. But when somebody willingly accepts the risk of death, he could at least do it in an entertaining way.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

photopilot
Topic Author

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:01 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 7):
I really do like watching crashes and fireballs.
when somebody willingly accepts the risk of death, he could at least do it in an entertaining way.

Good grief, that's so sad that a human being could actually think that way. Perhaps as that is the way you think, we should all hope that you die in a flaming wreck on the motorway and someone YouTube's your agony so we can all be entertained!!!

flyingturtle

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:26 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 8):
Good grief

Car racing has always been entertainment. Even in the days back when safety measures were marginal. People took up car racing, put on their leather "helmets" and started in the races. All were following their own free will, for the enjoyment of those who watched, filmed and photographed.

The thrill of a dangerous sport! The heroes who survived while beating their opponents in pouring rain! The feeble men who are braking too early!

Marathon running has always been the same, as has chess and boxing. The same with rifle shooting, ice skating and swimming. All these have remained at the same level of danger (or safety). But yet car racing has been made more idiot-proof. The kind of tires are prescribed, as has the kind of protective suits.

To me, the foremost thing in every sport is a fair competition, but not safety measures. But what has changed most in motor sports? Safety regulations. Of course every sport changes its shape (e.g. the modern swimsuits, or the glass fibre poles in pole vault, or in chess the help of computer databases when preparing an event). But safety? Come on.

That makes the feats of Michael Schumacher less comparable to those of Fangio, Brabham or Lauda. There is a glory to dangerous sport, if we want it or not.

There is a line between "safe", "reasonably safe", and "dangerous". I love mountaineering. I love being dependent on my own judgement, for I can always end up with a sprained ankle in a uncomfortable place while a thunderstorm is coming in. We can do everything in a very safe way - watching a video with beautiful mountain scenes while marching on a treadmill would be the modern equivalent to mountain hiking when compared to Formula 1. I could still get a heart attack, though - but the defibrillator is always on hand...

David

[Edited 2015-07-19 16:34:49]
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

photopilot
Topic Author

Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:38 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 9):
Marathon running has always been the same, as has chess and boxing. The same with rifle shooting, ice skating and swimming. All these have remained at the same level of danger (or safety). But yet car racing has been made more idiot-proof. The kind of tires are prescribed, as has the kind of protective suits.

Oh give me a break, what utter dribble you're writing. Are you seriously saying that you'd prefer cars with no seatbelts (they didn't have them at one time), carburetors with drivers sitting between aluminum fuel tanks (not bulletproof fuel bladders), let's go back to drum brakes so cars don't stop as fast. No carbon fibre for safer cars and "survival cells", etc, etc. Any sport is going to progress and safety is just one aspect of the technological changes that have improved motorsport. Hell, now a days a racing driver can get electrocuted with all the high-voltage energy recovery systems.

Motor racing hasn't been made more "idiot proof" because it seems to me that the idiots are still in the stands hoping to see someone crash and end up a fireball. What it has done it to technologically improve and THAT has improved driver safety and that is a very good thing. As has the protection offered by triple layer Nomex flame-proof suits. If my memory serves me correctly, Ricardo Paletti in Montreal was the last driver to burn to death following a start line incident. (oh, and I was there to see it) and before that it was Ronnie Peterson in Italy, though Niki Lauda came close at the Nurinburgring.

I for one am damn thankful that the drivers are better protected, but sadly issues like Jules Bianchi remind us that there is still room for improvement.

jetblueguy22

Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:55 am

Quoting larshjort (Reply 4):
n NASCAR and Indycar a yellow flag is almost always a full course caution and a safetycar. In F1 until last year you had yellow flag, double vawed yellow flags and safetycar. The yellow flag and double vawed yellow flags are used for a local problem on the track and requires drivers to be ready to slow down and to slow down because of workers on the track respectively. The issue is that they had no way of monitoring if the drivers were slowing down and it wasn't specified how much they had to slow down. This year vawed yellow flags requiere either safety car or a virtual safetycar where the drivers are give nminumum sectortimes they have to be slower than.

Very informative, thank you!

Quoting Aesma (Reply 6):
whereas in F1 it's detrimental to the sport

Why is that?

I might be weird, evil and very sarcastic, but to me car racing has gotten way too safe. I really do like watching crashes and fireballs. Nobody is forced to risk his/her life in motor sports. I would never do motor sport myself if it weren't safe. I do not want to lose my own life for I want to do many, many things in my future. But when somebody willingly accepts the risk of death, he could at least do it in an entertaining way.

Have you ever actually watched an incident live where you think someone may have died? It's horrifying. Just a couple weeks ago I was watching the NASCAR race at Daytona and Austin Dillon got turned around and into the fence. They said he hit the catch fence and went from 190 to 0 in less than a second. I thought he was dead. I had trouble sleeping that night even though I had watched him walk away from the carnage. Check it out on YouTube. It's a scary thing.

To me, the foremost thing in every sport is a fair competition, but not safety measures. But what has changed most in motor sports? Safety regulations. Of course every sport changes its shape (e.g. the modern swimsuits, or the glass fibre poles in pole vault, or in chess the help of computer databases when preparing an event). But safety? Come on.

There are more and more safety regulations in every sport. Not just motorsports. For instance the concussion rules in American football. Or open ice hits in hockey. Watching sports because of the intensity is fun. I for instance agree watching NFL play flag football would be boring. But watching someone get hurt is unfortunate.

That makes the feats of Michael Schumacher less comparable to those of Fangio, Brabham or Lauda. There is a glory to dangerous sport, if we want it or not.

There is a lot more strategy to the sport than when Lauda raced. Engineering alone makes the competition that much harder. I bet it is harder now to get a ride in F1 than ever before.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

GrahamHill

Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:39 pm

I didn't see the dedicated thread on Jules. I'm reposting what I wrote on the British GP thread:

This is terrible news. My thoughts go to his family and friends. I had hopes we could wake up, but I guess it started to really look impossible after so many months in the coma. His father said earlier last week that his current condition was worse than if he had died.

I wasn't born to witness how tough it was to race in the 50s, 60s and 70s. I haven't witnessed the death of many drivers. I barely remember Elio de Angelis'. I, of course, perfectly remember both Ratzenberger and Senna. Then we were lucky not to see more after that. We actually thought that F1 had become a safe sport. Cars were built tougher, tracks were getting wider and safer. We got used to not see fatal accidents anymore. We got used to see drivers getting out of their totalled cars with their thumbs up to the crowd. We almost forgot that motorsport was still dangerous. That when there is a bad combination of circumstances, it can still take lives.

Jules was considered in France as being a potential successor to Alain Prost, someone who could give us a world title. Many times I have praised his skills on the F1 threads here over the last couple of years. I wanted him so bad to get a seat at Ferrari. He was really promising. Our most promising driver of all the latest ones we've had. Better than Pic, Grosjean or Vergne.

Unfortunately, we'll never know if he could have won a Grand Prix, let alone a world title. He will join the likes of Cevert or Bellof. Those drivers that everyone thought they had potential to become world champion, but gone too soon.

The FIA will retire the #17 in his honour.

Rest in peace, Jules.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

IMissPiedmont

Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:52 am

Why the hell were they still racing on a wet track when there was a previous crash being cleared. That was just plain stupidity.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

mad99

Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:46 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 12):
That when there is a bad combination of circumstances, it can still take lives.

open wheel racing is dangerous, we could have several deaths a year. Remember MS's crash a few years ago with the other cars nose pointing at his face? Or that f2 driver that died as a result of a bouncing wheel hitting him on the head.

Jules was considered in France as being a potential successor to Alain Prost, someone who could give us a world title

Why? His really not done anything special has he. One good result at Monaco, largely due to retirements.

Bellof

not even close. Bellof was a sports car star and had done some impressive stuff in f1 driving a crap car

CXB77L

Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:35 pm

We almost forgot that motorsport was still dangerous. That when there is a bad combination of circumstances, it can still take lives.

Indeed. I would've thought that the odds of two drivers aquaplaning at the same corner and ending up at almost exactly the same spot is somewhat slim, but it happened.

Jules was considered in France as being a potential successor to Alain Prost, someone who could give us a world title. Many times I have praised his skills on the F1 threads here over the last couple of years. I wanted him so bad to get a seat at Ferrari. He was really promising. Our most promising driver of all the latest ones we've had. Better than Pic, Grosjean or Vergne.

I agree with that sentiment. It's hard to judge his potential while driving for Marussia, but he had consistently beaten Chilton over the course of last season. He was a talent who was taken too soon.

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 13):
Why the hell were they still racing on a wet track when there was a previous crash being cleared. That was just plain stupidity.

They weren't at that corner. As mentioned, it was under double waved yellows - no overtaking was allowed in that sector, and drivers had to slow down and prepare to stop as there would be marshals on track.

There was no reason to stop the whole race for one incident. Besides, the wreck was well and truly off the track. I don't think it was reasonably foreseeable at all that another driver could slide off at exactly the same spot.

What happened was a tragic accident, not stupidity. No one is to blame here.
Boeing 777 fanboy

diverted

Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Quoting mad99 (Reply 14):
Why? His really not done anything special has he. One good result at Monaco, largely due to retirements.

While racing for Marussia. One could say Alonso hasn't done anything special with McLaren this year either. Doesn't mean he's not a legend.

If you look at his career, he was always at the front of the field, thru Formula Renault 2.0, Formula 3, GP2.

Put in other words, you don't end up as a Ferrari test driver unless Ferrari sees something in you.

Kid was quick.

mad99

Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:14 pm

Quoting diverted (Reply 16):
While racing for Marussia. One could say Alonso hasn't done anything special with McLaren this year either. Doesn't mean he's not a legend.

If you watched his first year, 2001, he did some special things that made him stand out. His first race he out qualified his team mate by over 2,5 seconds. Renault had plans for him mid way through his first year.

If you look at his career, he was always at the front of the field, thru Formula Renault 2.0, Formula 3, GP2.

True but not special

Put in other words, you don't end up as a Ferrari test driver unless Ferrari sees something in you.

exactly. google " luca badoer" for more info

Kid was quick.

just not fast

GrahamHill

Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:21 pm

open wheel racing is dangerous, we could have several deaths a year. Remember MS's crash a few years ago with the other cars nose pointing at his face? Or that f2 driver that died as a result of a bouncing wheel hitting him on the head.

I know it is, but fatal accidents are - thankfully - rarer and rarer. We do occasionally have fatalities in the Dakar rally, in IndyCar, at Le Mans two years ago, but nothing comparable to the rate we had 40 or 50 years ago.

There's the visible to us and the visible to the professionals. A driver abilities are not only to be judged by a 9th place with a poor car. It's also how a driver manages his races, his tyres, his fuel, his lap time consistency, his speed, etc. Obviously, it's quite hard for us to notice this. But according to many (and Ferrari more than any other), he had the intelligence and the potential to become a top driver.

Bellof was a sports car star and had done some impressive stuff in f1 driving a crap car

I give you that Bellof already showed his talent in Sports Car racing. But we'll never know whether he could have become a Formula 1 world champion or not. I say we can speculate he could have, like we can speculate Cevert could have.

One could say Alonso hasn't done anything special with McLaren this year either.

He hasn't done anything special either during his very first year with Minardi if you just look at his raw results. But people saw that he had the talent to be a world champion one day. And two years later he was in a Renault that would give him his two titles in 2005 and 2006.

Quoting mad99 (Reply 17):
His first race he out qualified his team mate by over 2,5 seconds.

I dare to say it's not too complicated when your teammate is Tarso Marques. But it's a bit useless to compare Alonso and Bianchi, because I think Alonso is above everyone.

Renault had plans for him mid way through his first year.

And Ferrari had plans for Bianchi too, as stated by di Montezemolo yesterday in La Gazzetta. He said that as soon as Kimi would leave, the seat was booked for Jules.

Acheron

Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Some pictures from the Funeral

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/07/21/12/2AB8CDA400000578-3169177-image-a-41_1437476675615.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/07/21/11/2AB7C3C300000578-3169177-image-a-20_1437474088788.jpg

GrahamHill

Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:14 pm

Quoting Acheron (Reply 19):
Some pictures from the Funeral

Thanks for sharing. This must have been an emotional day for a lot of people.

I also came across this picture, tweeted by some F1 drivers such as Jenson Button or Daniel Ricciardo with the mention "For Jules:"

Nice one, boys. I'm sure he'd be delighted to see you raising a glass in his honour.

diverted

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:29 pm

exactly. google " luca badoer" for more info

Sorry, let me rephrase. You don't end up as a Ferrari test driver at the beginning of your career unless Ferrari sees something in you. Sure, along with Luca Badoer, you could add Pedro de La Rosa. Difference in scenario is that they were already washed up when they became test drivers.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 18):
There's the visible to us and the visible to the professionals. A driver abilities are not only to be judged by a 9th place with a poor car. It's also how a driver manages his races, his tyres, his fuel, his lap time consistency, his speed, etc. Obviously, it's quite hard for us to notice this. But according to many (and Ferrari more than any other), he had the intelligence and the potential to become a top driver
Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 18):
He hasn't done anything special either during his very first year with Minardi if you just look at his raw results. But people saw that he had the talent to be a world champion one day. And two years later he was in a Renault that would give him his two titles in 2005 and 2006.

Agree 100x.

photopilot
Topic Author

Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:43 am

Gentlemen....
I started this thread to honour a driver who was good enough to make it to Formula One. Something that a very few people are capable of doing. Jules gave his life competing in the sport he loved and had worked his entire life to achieve. It's a grave disservice to have this thread degenerate into an argument of how good a driver he was. He was one of the top 21 drivers in the world to hold a RACE SEAT on a Formula One team. That's good enough for me and this thread.
Let's just honour him and leave it at R.I.P Jules and honour his memory.

thanks

zckls04

Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:55 am

Everybody in the F1 paddock disagreed with you, even before his accident. But I'm sure you know best.

I might be weird, evil and very sarcastic, but to me car racing has gotten way too safe. I really do like watching crashes and fireballs.

I think that's a bit weird to be honest. Crashes are entertaining, but the ones where somebody dies are just awful. I watched Jules plough into that recovery vehicle and felt sick. I knew he would never wake up.

It's a terribly sad week. I hope he's tearing around in the racetrack in the sky.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos