Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LMP737
Topic Author

Trump: The Gift That Keeps On Giving.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:17 am

This is going to be so much fun.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/republicans-defend-mccain-against-attacks-from-124429756316.html
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

LMP737
Topic Author

RE: Trump: The Gift That Keeps On Giving.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:40 am

I hope the person he hired to do spin for him is getting paid a lot.

jetblueguy22

Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:16 am

If the party leadership had any kind of intelligence they would have said "We do not support Donald Trump and will not allow him to run under our party." in their press release.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

dragon-wings

Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:05 am

If by some miracle Trump gets elected I predict he will do something to get impeached.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Mir

Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:49 am

Quoting dragon-wings (Reply 3):
If by some miracle Trump gets elected

It wouldn't be a miracle if he were elected.

Miracles are good things.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MaverickM11

Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:53 pm

Quoting dragon-wings (Reply 3):
If by some miracle Trump gets elected I predict he will do something to get impeached.

He's not running for President. He's running for attention. Trump loves attention as much as he hates doing actual work, but still taking credit for it. He will come up with some dumb excuse to bow out before things get real, just like he always does.
I don't take responsibility at all

GDB

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:11 pm

Seeing some of the Twitter exchanges Trump has had, including with the producer of the TV Show 'Modern Family' - that's his idea of high politics presumably - you get the impression Trump has the debating skills of Eric Cartman from 'South Park'.
If you were to put a script from that show and Trumps utterances together, you'd be hard put to tell the two apart.

StarAC17

Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:45 pm

Quoting LMP737 (Thread starter):
https://www.yahoo.com/politics/republicans-defend-mccain-against-attacks-from-124429756316.html

This just in, Trump sues Yahoo for reporting the story .

Quoting GDB (Reply 6):
Seeing some of the Twitter exchanges Trump has had, including with the producer of the TV Show 'Modern Family' - that's his idea of high politics presumably - you get the impression Trump has the debating skills of Eric Cartman from 'South Park'.

This fall there very well likely will be a South Park episode on him.

Probably Cartman vs Trump in a debate or some other really funny think. The next day he will threaten to sue comedy central for defamation.

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 2):
If the party leadership had any kind of intelligence they would have said "We do not support Donald Trump and will not allow him to run under our party." in their press release.
Pat

Still like him better than Ted Cruz.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

seb146

Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:00 pm

Here is what I find interesting: Trump made a stupid comment about Mexican immigrants and barely a peep was heard from the Republican party. He makes a stupid comment about a war veteran who was a POW and the Republicans go nuts. I know they hate immigrants and love war, it is just interesting to me.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

StarAC17

Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:23 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 8):
Here is what I find interesting: Trump made a stupid comment about Mexican immigrants and barely a peep was heard from the Republican party.

That is because that is the opinion of a lot of the base but they cannot come out and say it. Saying that thought, many candidates on the GOP side have condemned him for attack Mexicans.

He makes a stupid comment about a war veteran who was a POW and the Republicans go nuts. I know they hate immigrants and love war, it is just interesting to me.

They attack him for this because it is plain decency to respect someone who fought for their country. Also McCain doesn't really make a huge deal about his service in his political life. When he ran against Obama in 2008 he really never touted elect me because I fought in a war, he actually had ideas and principles
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

910A

Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:59 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 9):
They attack him for this because it is plain decency to respect someone who fought for their country. Also McCain doesn't really make a huge deal about his service in his political life. When he ran against Obama in 2008 he really never touted elect me because I fought in a war, he actually had ideas and principles

Respect someone who was in the service fine, but let's not call him a hero. Military, and public safety employees are not heros, they volunteer for this type of assignment. I had a professor back in the day when I was working on my masters, who was a senior officer in the Hanoi Hilton and he (also was a Republican State Senator) stated the senior officer group petitioned the Department of Defense to file treason charges against McCain.

About his service and political life, yes he does make a big deal about his service in his campaigns. He brags about his service in his ads and speeches overtime he runs for re-election here in Arizona.

He really doesn't have an ideas or principles. For example the 2010 campaign he was on TV with his ads about building the darn fence, and after the election his views of illegal immigration reverted to what they were in the past.

He is more than willing to send our troops in harms way, yet when it comes to Veteran issues he has been constant no vote.

No maybe Trump could have worded it differently; but when McCain called the people that attended Trump's rally last week crazies, but bringing Sara Palin onto the national scene was an act of being crazy.

By the way real heros, are the ordinary citizens like the teachers at Sandy Hook and other schools that put their lives in danger in order to protect the students.

[Edited 2015-07-19 11:04:18]

Redd

Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:28 pm

As an outsider but past resident, I'm saddened by the political state of affairs in the USA. I remember the Clinton era when the US was internationally held in high regard.

Right now things look like a bloody circus, a sideshow that makes voters forget about the real issues like jobs, infrastructure, reform, putting bankers in jail and instead yells and screams "immigration!!!, walls, hero's, Jesus, patriotism....."

I wouldn't even care but this sideshow is rubbing off on other western nations, and while socially Europe will never be the US, politically the emulation is scary.

Boeing717200

Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:58 pm

Here is what I find interesting: Trump made a stupid comment about Mexican immigrants and barely a peep was heard from the Republican party. He makes a stupid comment about a war veteran who was a POW and the Republicans go nuts. I know they hate immigrants and love war, it is just interesting to me.

Trump is a side show. No one is responding because it's a waste of time. Sometimes it's best to just let something like Trump self destruct.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

LittleFokker

Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:34 pm

So a guy who got 5 deferments to the draft can now criticize an actual veteran's war record, while at the same time never actually having done jack squat for the military, and people take him seriously? What the hell kind of world am I living in? McCain is far from perfect, but he's one of the very few Republican politicians (or pundits) that actually served in a war and fully understands what that means. And this silver spooned know nothing has the nerve to call him out on his war record while ducking the war himself? This is a new low....
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

mt99

Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:54 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 12):
Trump is a side show. No one is responding because it's a waste of time. Sometimes it's best to just let something like Trump self destruc

A waste of time that is #1 in the GOP.

If this doesn't affect his polling - then the GOP has a serious problem.

If you sympathize with the GOP - there has to be a point that you look around, and see who your peers are and say "i am part of an organization whose majority would vote for Donald Trump."

Man - what a terrible realization that must be!
Step into my office, baby

LAX772LR

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:06 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 2):
If the party leadership had any kind of intelligence they would have said "We do not support Donald Trump and will not allow him to run under our party."

With which he will then go Independent Party (again) and attempt to Ross Perot them.

Though, I do wonder if trump decides to run 3rd party, and Hillary gets the nomination.... would Bernie decide to run 4th party?

THAT would be an interesting election: Trump vs. Jeb/Walker vs. Hillary vs. Bernie!

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 7):
Probably Cartman vs Trump in a debate or some other really funny think. The next day he will threaten to sue comedy central for defamation.

I would pay to see that. All of it.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 7):
than Ted Cruz.

Who has just had the wind COMPLETELY knocked out of his sails. Same for Ben Carson and Rick Santorum.
There's nothing they could say that would shock and/or get more attention than Trump just being himself.

Trump made a stupid comment about Mexican immigrants and barely a peep was heard from the Republican party. He makes a stupid comment about a war veteran who was a POW and the Republicans go nuts.

Not surprised though, are you?

It's interesting psychology on display:
  • Disparage women, gays, Blacks, Hispanics, the poor.... crickets.
  • Say something about veterans.... and they're tripping all over themselves to rebuke you.

And yet, they still don't want to fund the freakin' V.A.!!!!!

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 12):
    No one is responding because it's a waste of time

No one is responding???

Jeb can't go a day without addressing something Trump said. Cruz can't pucker up hard enough to kiss Trump's ass any more than he already is. Jindal can't jump up&down and wave his hands hard enough in saying "Oh oh, look at me: I can say the same things Trump is, but with a fake southern accent!"

Walker seems to be the only one, with any real shot, who hasn't really gotten caught up in mud-slinging with Trump. Yet.
  • I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

JoeCanuck

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:14 pm

The Donald is the best thing to ever happen to the Democrats. No matter what else happens, they can always point to the fact that Trump was beating all of the others in the polls.

Him being first is like the guy who just screwed you over on a used car, just won the lottery. It is kind of funny when it happens to the other guy.

Quoting 910A (Reply 10):

Quoting 910A (Reply 10):
    By the way real heros, are the ordinary citizens like the teachers at Sandy Hook and other schools that put their lives in danger in order to protect the students.

I think anyone who is willing to put their life on the line for others is a hero. That being said, real heroes play down their accomplishments rather than lording them over others.

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 13):
    McCain is far from perfect, but he's one of the very few Republican politicians (or pundits) that actually served in a war and fully understands what that means.

100%. Like him or hate him, he did serve in combat. The same goes for Kerry. He got treated like a coward by a bunch of draft dodgers. You don't have to like him to respect his military service.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 14):
    Man - what a terrible realization that must be!

I have enough reasons to wake up screaming at night.
    What the...?

DeltaMD90

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 15):
    Though, I do wonder if trump decides to run 3rd party, and Hillary gets the nomination.... would Bernie decide to run 4th party?

THAT would be an interesting election: Trump vs. Jeb/Walker vs. Hillary vs. Bernie!

I thought about this earlier today... it's obviously far fetched (I could see Trump's ego pushing him towards an independent run but I think Bernie would bow out and accept Hillary over the chaos of 4 candidates) but if it did happen, I think the GOP candidate would win. Why? The vote could possibly get so fractured that no candidate reaches 270 and it goes to the House. Even if Hillary (or Bernie or Trump) got the most EVs and/or popular vote, does anyone honestly think the House would not decide to put the Republican in?

Too bad it has to be that way. It would be nice to have options. The current system just wouldn't support it

flyingturtle

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:41 pm

I would LOVE it when Trump would run for office... I would LOOOVE it! Endless hours of entertainment... 

...and it comes with a huge benefit: Whoever the Dems are putting into the race, they will win. Bernie Sanders 2016!

Quoting 910A (Reply 10):
    the senior officer group petitioned the Department of Defense to file treason charges against McCain.

Just out of curiosity... what was the rationale to indict McCain for treason?

AFAIK, a prisoner of war has the duty to fight on. He has to put the biggest possible burden on his captors (e.g. attempts to flee, not paying respect), but of course not provoke a death sentence - that would actually solve the problem for the prison guards.

McCain is a hero for rejecting an early release. A stellar soldier compared to George Bush the Lesser. And I haven't forgot the smear campaign against John Kerry.

David
    Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Aesma

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:49 pm

Quoting Redd (Reply 11):
    I remember the Clinton era when the US was internationally held in high regard.

Well the impeachment show was quite circussy, I know in France we're still laughing over it.
    New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

JoeCanuck

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:20 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 19):
    Well the impeachment show was quite circussy, I know in France we're still laughing over it.

It was hilarious everywhere. I was travelling overseas a lot then, and it was such good tv. Best soap opera in a long time. The sanctimonious outrage was as baffling as it was amusing.

Another example of moral outrage that confused foreigners, was the uproar about Janet Jackson showing her nipple for .75 seconds. On the field, there were a hundred or so women with huge breasts and outfits so tight, you could tell if a coin in their pocket was heads or tails.

So a hundred barely clothes women kicking their legs above their heads, grabbing their butts and bending over in the most provocative manner, are good, wholesome entertainment, and something that happens so quickly you need slo mo to capture it, sends millions of people into fits.

America really is great in so many ways...but their many standards about morality are truly baffling.

It's interesting psychology on display:
    Disparage women, gays, Blacks, Hispanics, the poor.... crickets.
    Say something about veterans.... and they're tripping all over themselves to rebuke you.

That is the saddest, most disgusting thing about the Republicans. They claim to be the the party defending the veterans, but every time they have a chance to ass a bill helping vets, they vote it down. Their latest gambit is to cut off funding to 9/11 first responders

Anyone who votes against a bill like that should be kicked in the nuts.
    What the...?

Boeing717200

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:30 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 20):

That is the saddest, most disgusting thing about the Republicans. They claim to be the the party defending the veterans, but every time they have a chance to ass a bill helping vets, they vote it down. Their latest gambit is to cut off funding to 9/11 first responders

Anyone who votes against a bill like that should be kicked in the nuts.

Which one?

This one?

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...ealth-care-bill-senate-107729.html

Or the one with baggage?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...-11e3-b8d8-94577ff66b28_story.html

[Edited 2015-07-19 15:45:37]

LAX772LR

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:44 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 16):
    Him being first is like the guy who just screwed you over on a used car, just won the lottery.

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 20):
    America really is great in so many ways...but their many standards about morality are truly baffling.

That ties into the USA's extremely weird/puritan/repressive view of nudity.
    So strange compared to most of the first world.

You still have people who FREAK OUT if a woman is breastfeeding here, and doesn't have something to cover with (not that she should have to, IMO). It's crazy.
    I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

luckyone

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:34 pm

Who has just had the wind COMPLETELY knocked out of his sails. Same for Ben Carson and Rick Santorum.
    There's nothing they could say that would shock and/or get more attention than Trump just being himself.

Now that you've said that I wonder if Trump is playing a role for the GOP bigwigs. Anyone who isn't drinking the Kool Aid knows how dirty politics can be, regardless of which way one swings, and I wouldn't put it past the GOP leadership to be quietly letting Trump do their dirty work for them to clean house. They know what a joke most of these candidates are, and though they (sadly) do speak the opinions of many people, they know that they are very unlikely to win beyond the base.

[Edited 2015-07-19 16:37:37]

AR385

Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:15 am

Trump is really damaging the GOP in ways they may find hard to recover from. In terms of what he said about Mexicans, both parties know that to win any election you need 40% of the Hispanic vote. Most of the Hispanics in the US are Mexicans so right there you are giving your election win away. And to be fair, most candidates forcefully distanced themselves from the walking toupé´s rants.

Whatever you may think of McCain, and I am not even going to argue about whether he is a hero or not, the fact is there is a reverie in the US about his war record. And frankly there exists certain mysticism about him you just don´t mess with. I had my doubts, but now I seriously think that Trump is actually pulling all these shenanigans so he can blackmail Republicans into giving concessions to him in the different businesses he is involved in. Otherwise it does not make sense. And as such, the GOP should recognize this and start shooting him down. And soon, because the damage he is doing is now really becoming serious. The only one happy with the situation seems to be Ted Cruz, but then again, he is one of those people who takes the meaning of "clueless politician" to new heights every time he opens his piehole.

Trump is single handedly giving the Presidential win over to Hillary in a silver platter.

Flighty

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:33 am

I am happy with Trump. I like his amateurism.

What scares the hell out of me are "professionals" like Hillary Clinton, Rick Perry or Jeb Bush. The president should be a regular person, not a lifelong inside the beltway parasite. Those people don't understand reality. Trump may be wrong a lot, but at least he shows some honesty. I know nothing of Rick Perry's views because he represents a bunch of hedge funds trying to eliminate democracy, and Hillary and Jeb Bush do too. Who knows what Hillary believes? I don't believe a word she has said in 20 years. And I called out John Edwards the same way. For once... we got the full story on that.

[Edited 2015-07-19 19:37:06]

Boeing717200

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:36 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 24):

Perhaps you weren't old enough to observe the David Duke circus in 1988 when he ran for Presdient as a Democrat and won the New Hampshire VP Primary then ran as a "populist" or in 1992 when he tried to run as a Republican even when the party attempted to block his running. In both cases his whack ado ass hurt neither party. Trump has about 13 minutes of fame left in this election cycle.

DocLightning

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:56 am

At first I thought that Mr. Trump was intentionally torpedoing his own campaign. I figured that he can't possibly be so delusional as to think that this sort of line would get him anywhere.

Then I reviewed his history. His birtherism. His anti-vaccine rants. His call for revolution after the 2012 election. The fact that he's been bankrupted four times and considers himself a competent businessman.

And I realize yes...he most probably is delusional.
    -Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
    -Carl Sagan

JoeCanuck

Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:19 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 22):
    You still have people who FREAK OUT if a woman is breastfeeding here, and doesn't have something to cover with (not that she should have to, IMO). It's crazy.

How can any person be anti boobies? That's just so......wrong.

Quoting Flighty (Reply 25):
    Trump may be wrong a lot, but at least he shows some honesty.

I don't know if it's honesty or he just likes to toss out stinkbombs, but he certainly knows how to get attention. He is the Michael O'Leary of politics....maybe not insane, but insane adjacent.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 27):
    And I realize yes...he most probably is delusional.

On his best day.
    What the...?

LMP737
    Topic Author

Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:20 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 6):
    If you were to put a script from that show and Trumps utterances together, you'd be hard put to tell the two apart.

Listening to him talk one gets the impression of someone with deep seated insecurities and the need to lash out at anyone who he thinks is not showing him the proper respect. You would expect this sort of thing from a guy in his late teens or early twenties. Not from a grown man.

ltbewr

Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:11 am

I don't share in the idea of Trump as a source of humor or some advantage for Democrats. Sound bites of hate, put downs of the opposition, pushing lies and untruths just to get some votes is not what we need in our political campaigns. We need serious discussions by candidates of workable policies to voters. Trump for sure tapped into a growing anger of many white middle and working class Americans who lives and tax bills have been affected by decades of weak policies and enforcement of illegal immigration and politicians not really dealing with it.

Politicians of both parties are far too much paid off by corporations and the rich, who like illegals as are cheaper, won't sue if injured, know if don't work their butts off they may be threatened with deportation or violence. Politicians of both parties have also decided not to push for immigration reform and enforcement as don't want to lose a fast growing groups of potential legal voting citizens. In large part Trump's bashing of McCain was really about McCain's bashing an very anti-illegal immigrations rally Trump was the lead speaker at, as well as McCain's pandering for Latino/Hispanic votes as I noted previously as to the immigration non-policies of both parties.

Trump may have reached a point of such bullying he will be seen a joke not only by voters and party leaders, but also by business partners, investors who seen him as a sad, demented fool that can't be trusted.

DocLightning

Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:54 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 24):

Trump is really damaging the GOP in ways they may find hard to recover from.

I'm not so convinced. Yes, he certainly made the GOP look bad by becoming the leading candidate among likely GOP voters and then spouting this nonsense. But I think that by November next year this will be forgotten. Jeb Bush will be the GOP candidate and Donald Trump will be exactly what he was in the 2012 election, an annoying magpie, nothing else.

Now, for purely ulterior reasons I'd like him to go all Ross Perot and split the conservative vote and hand the victory to Mrs. Clinton (and yes, it's going to be her. Mr. Sanders doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell).

Honestly, for the life of me, I can't understand why he even wants the Presidency. I guess he craves power and prestige. If I had all his money, I'd just retire and enjoy my life. From what I understand, very few Presidents have actually enjoyed their term in office.
    -Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
    -Carl Sagan

DIRECTFLT

Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:02 am

MOre Fun than Ross Perot, George Wallace, and Pat Paulsen ! ! !
    Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

AR385

Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:31 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 26):
    Perhaps you weren't old enough to observe the David Duke circus in 1988 when he ran for Presdient as a Democrat and won the New Hampshire VP Primary then ran as a "populist" or in 1992 when he tried to run as a Republican even when the party attempted to block his running. In both cases his whack ado ass hurt neither party. Trump has about 13 minutes of fame left in this election cycle.
    Quoting DocLightning (Reply 31):
    I'm not so convinced.
    Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 26):
    Perhaps you weren't old enough to observe the David Duke circus in 1988

I understand. No, Boeing717200, I was not that young, but cable was not what it is these days...  Both of you and Doc make good points. I think the difference this time is how the Hispanic community is much more organized than before, and more importantly, more involved in politics. On the one hand these may be a good thing for Jeb, but, it may do more in the balance, to alienate that community, given how wary they usually are of the GOP. And given the polls (although I would question the samples) the Hispanic community my well think that no matter Jeb is there, if that is how the GOP thinks, and its followers, they may very well vote more Democratic than ever.

Boeing717200

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:20 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 33):

Nobody but we political wonks are paying attention right now. Trump will be long forgotten a year from now.

casinterest

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:41 pm

Trump is the Michelle Bachmann of this election round. He plays well to the lunatic fringe, but the damage he is doing is actually a bit terrifying for the GOP. He is one of the 1% that is able to finance his own election, and the fact that his viewpoints may not be far off from the other 1% bundlers may do some lasting damage. Especially in a world where Ted Cruz and others are trying to form a conservative agenda that is seemingly not based in disparaging people of different walks of life.

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 34):
    Nobody but we political wonks are paying attention right now. Trump will be long forgotten a year from now.

Trump will not be forgotten. His voice will still ring out throughout this election as it has in past elections. His following hopefully will lessen.
    Where ever you go, there you are.

Boeing717200

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:51 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 35):

Trump will not be forgotten. His voice will still ring out throughout this election as it has in past elections. His following hopefully will lessen.

That's just your hope, but not the reality. He's got FU money, but he won't be running so he'll be irrelevant.

[Edited 2015-07-20 07:57:45]

casinterest

Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:04 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 36):

That's just your hope, but not the reality.

Actually, whether he leads the race or trails all candidates, the last month has done some serious damage the GOP, as it has highlighted some stark prejudices, and misconceptions within the political makeup of the donors and candidates. The howls of protest at insulting a War Hero(McCain), who has many voices that will proudly defend him stands in stark contrast to the howls of support when insulting people based on their culture.
    Where ever you go, there you are.

Boeing717200

Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:17 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 37):
    Actually, whether he leads the race or trails all candidates, the last month has done some serious damage the GOP, as it has highlighted some stark prejudices, and misconceptions within the political makeup of the donors and candidates. The howls of protest at insulting a War Hero(McCain), who has many voices that will proudly defend him stands in stark contrast to the howls of support when insulting people based on their culture.

I'm sure that's what the left is hoping for, but if they hang their hat on labeling they'll get burned.

Adipasquale

Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:23 pm

The fact that Trump's popularity soared after making bigoted, uninformed and racist comments regarding Mexicans and the silly nonsense about "building a bigger wall along the border" is indicative that a not-insubstantial percentage of GOP voters are in fact bigots and racists. If GOP leadership was smart, they would have forcefully denounced trump's racist proclamations immediately, but the fact that they did not indicates how important these voters are. It will be interesting to see how the other candidates handle Trump during the debates. If they are smart, they will ignore him, however, part of me hopes that the GOP debates will devolve into mud-slinging racist s**t shows. In the end, being completely embarrassed might be what it takes to get the GOP to change their stance on most social issues. The fact is that they rely on older white men to get elected and that demographic is shrinking in relation to minorities and other groups that tend to have more liberal views.
    DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 318 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77L 77W

Boeing717200

Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:41 pm

Quoting adipasquale (Reply 39):

The fact that Trump's popularity soared after making bigoted, uninformed and racist comments regarding Mexicans and the silly nonsense about "building a bigger wall along the border" is indicative that a not-insubstantial percentage of GOP voters are in fact bigots and racists. If GOP leadership was smart, they would have forcefully denounced trump's racist proclamations immediately, but the fact that they did not indicates how important these voters are. It will be interesting to see how the other candidates handle Trump during the debates. If they are smart, they will ignore him, however, part of me hopes that the GOP debates will devolve into mud-slinging racist s**t shows. In the end, being completely embarrassed might be what it takes to get the GOP to change their stance on most social issues. The fact is that they rely on older white men to get elected and that demographic is shrinking in relation to minorities and other groups that tend to have more liberal views.

You do know that there are people on the left that like his sideshow as well right? He's a populist candidate at best.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/t...-the-donald-trump-surge-seriously/

seb146

Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:55 pm

The president should be a regular person, not a lifelong inside the beltway parasite.

Like Reagan? That turned out well, didn't it?

How long did Trump serve in any combat position? How long did Trump serve at all? Can we also talk about the outrage that swept through the right when the Swift Boaters launched their attack on another decorated combat veteran?
    You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

910A

Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:05 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 18):
    Just out of curiosity... what was the rationale to indict McCain for treason?

This is just one of the video's he was in which was shown on network tv news back then. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyi8X4SgQV0

He was granted special privileges from his captors.

The term jail house snitch comes to mind..

Again my source was a USAF Colonel who spend seven years in hell.

Adipasquale

Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:09 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 40):
    You do know that there are people on the left that like his sideshow as well right? He's a populist candidate at best.

I know. However, this does not take away from the fact that Trump has surged towards the front of the GOP race (even if its is based mostly on name recognition) while the vast majority of dems condemn his views, particularly towards immigrants.

An interesting side note that of all the candidates' political contributions (both Democrat and Republican), to other political campaigns, the ones Trump has donated to are the most inconsistent with his own political ideology.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...ism/2011/04/25/AFDUddtE_story.html
    DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 318 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77L 77W

MSPNWA

Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:08 pm

Quoting adipasquale (Reply 39):
    The fact that Trump's popularity soared after making bigoted, uninformed and racist comments regarding Mexicans and the silly nonsense about "building a bigger wall along the border" is indicative that a not-insubstantial percentage of GOP voters are in fact bigots and racists.

No, Trump spoke the truth, and it vaulted him into my possible list for my vote come primary season. What he said is what I see and hear. I don't always agree with Trump, but it's so refreshing to hear a candidate be a real person that speaks his mind. I'll take harsh honesty over soft concealment.

Adipasquale

Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:24 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 44):
    No, Trump spoke the truth, and it vaulted him into my possible list for my vote come primary season. What he said is what I see and hear.

When what you see and hear comes from Fox "News," it is going to be somewhat different from the reality of the situation. However, I do urge you to vote for Trump over any of the other candidates in the primary. I would much rather see him win the GOP nomination than Bush, Walker or Christie.

[Edited 2015-07-20 10:27:43]

LMP737
    Topic Author

Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:38 pm

No, Trump spoke the truth, and it vaulted him into my possible list for my vote come primary season. What he said is what I see and hear. I don't always agree with Trump, but it's so refreshing to hear a candidate be a real person that speaks his mind. I'll take harsh honesty over soft concealment.

Are you of Irish, Italian, Jewish, Japanese, Polish or Chinese decent? If you are then what Trump is saying about Mexicans is not that much different from what people were saying about your ancestors 100-150 years ago.

[Edited 2015-07-20 12:19:33]

LMP737
    Topic Author

Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:07 pm

I don't always agree with Trump, but it's so refreshing to hear a candidate be a real person that speaks his mind.

When someone says they are going to put us back into the meat grinder in Iraq I don't find that refreshing at all.

Adipasquale

Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:07 pm

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 46):
    Are you of Irish, Italian, Jewish, Japanese, Polish or Chinese decent? If you are then what Trump is saying about Mexicans is not that much different what people were saying about your ancestors 100-150 years ago.

Some people don't seem to realize that the United States is a nation of immigrants and continuously find reasons to bash new immigrants, without realizing their ancestors were many times subjected to the same slander. I will always remember one time when my Irish great-aunt made disparaging comments regarding SE Asian and Middle Eastern immigrants and how out of touch it seemed considering her grandparents came over from Ireland in the early 20th century and were given the same treatment. Will we not learn from how our ancestors were treated and aspire to treat others with more care and respect so they do not have to suffer the same indignation.

Ken777

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:11 pm

would Bernie decide to run 4th party?

Doubt that very seriously. He is making loud noises these days because the US has swung so far tot the Right that it needs a loud voice against their excesses. He won't make it to thee general election but he may well remind a lot of voters that we should be a moral nation, not one where cash is put before country where the wealthy are concerned.

Your basic GOP/TP position. All talk while wrapped in the flag but no way will they go for a tax increase to improve the performance of the VA. Romney needs that 13% for his $22 million a year.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 19):

The best part for me was the committee of old men with white hair passing that little black dress around, each old man fondling it for a moment and passing it on. I was waiting with baited breath for one of those old farts to sniff it.

It was also pretty funny that the impeachment failed to get Clinton voted out of office, it had the opposite effect and gave him another 4 years. The GOP was dumber playing that impeachment than Clinton was letting that gal pull down his zipper.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 22):

It's slowly changing - there was actually a commercial on TV with a "then" and "now" breast feeding situation. The "then" part was the gal huddled in a dark corner with a blanket over her side. The "Now" part was a baby going to town on an exposed breast and the mother using her hand t lift the waiter's eyes off that lovely sight so she could order. Absolutely great ad and has nothing to do with Trump - fortunately.

But maybe that could be a good question for Trump in the first debate: Should women be allowed to breast feed in public.         

What scares the hell out of me are "professionals" like Hillary Clinton, Rick Perry or Jeb Bush.

Hillary and Jeb don't scare me but Rick sure does. He's smart enough to be dangerous but not smart enough to be President.

The president should be a regular person, not a lifelong inside the beltway parasite.

A President should be able to handle the issues that hit his desk - and that means understand those issues and the for and against debate points.

A President should be able to delegate - Jimmy Carter's silliest failure to delegate was his decision to maintain the schedule of the White House Tennis Court himself. The guy simply could not let go.

A President should be able to serve the poor and middle class with the same vigor as he or she serves the wealthy. A real challenge for a lot of the GOP these days.

A President should be able to clean up some of the ripoffs in this country, like the student loan program that financially pushes down students & grads while pouring profits into the finance system.

A President should be able to know when to NOT go into a war - W & Cheney sure proved that.

There are a lot of things we need from a President and no experience in DC (or "too much" experience) is not the factor that is most important. Carter sure proved that as much as W & Cheney.