Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aesma

RE: Trump: The Gift That Keeps On Giving.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:59 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 25):
I am happy with Trump. I like his amateurism.

What scares the hell out of me are "professionals" like Hillary Clinton, Rick Perry or Jeb Bush. The president should be a regular person, not a lifelong inside the beltway parasite. Those people don't understand reality.

In what way is Trump a regular person that understands reality ? He was born a 1%er !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

AR385

Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:28 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 44):
No, Trump spoke the truth, and it vaulted him into my possible list for my vote come primary season. What he said is what I see and hear. I don't always agree with Trump, but it's so refreshing to hear a candidate be a real person that speaks his mind. I'll take harsh honesty over soft concealment.

If you agree with the comments on McCain, then I can´t argue with you as I am not that informed. But if you are saying you believe all Mexicans that have immigrated illegally to the US are murderers, rapists and drug/human traffickers, then I feel very sorry for you. Pitiful even. Of course, you will not loose any sleep over it, but people like you is what Trump thrives on.

If you agree with his general issues about illegal immigration, then that is your opinion and it is fine. Even the ludicrous idea of building more walls, and making Mexico pay for them. But if you agree with the other racist comments, then I can only say, without it meaning it as an insult, that you, at the very least share on his racist, bigoted views.

Which of course, you are perfectly free to do. And if I have misinterpreted your post, I apologize.

scbriml

Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:31 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 14):
If this doesn't affect his polling - then the GOP has a serious problem.

It has affected his polling. According to tonight's BBC News, he's up in the polls!     Wow!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Boeing717200

Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:36 pm

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 46):

Are you of Irish, Italian, Jewish, Japanese, Polish or Chinese decent? If you are then what Trump is saying about Mexicans is not that much different from what people were saying about your ancestors 100-150 years ago.

[Edited 2015-07-20 12:19:33]

Irish, Welsh and German. They were absolutely ridiculed, particularly the German side in WWII. The difference is, they came here legally. There are nearly a million people who come here legally why should others be allowed to come here illegally? Basic question. And no, I don't care where they come from. This is a sovereign nation and we have laws. Other countries are far more strict about immigration, yet for some reason people think we shouldn't be.

Quoting adipasquale (Reply 48):
Some people don't seem to realize that the United States is a nation of immigrants and continuously find reasons to bash new immigrants, without realizing their ancestors were many times subjected to the same slander. I will always remember one time when my Irish great-aunt made disparaging comments regarding SE Asian and Middle Eastern immigrants and how out of touch it seemed considering her grandparents came over from Ireland in the early 20th century and were given the same treatment. Will we not learn from how our ancestors were treated and aspire to treat others with more care and respect so they do not have to suffer the same indignation.

Most people don't run around bashing immigrants, but they are incredibly irritated with illegal immigration.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

LittleFokker

Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:41 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 53):
The difference is, they came here legally

Do you know for a 100% fact that your ancestors followed all rules and proper channels to emigrate here, or do you just assume so because they're European, and Europeans have always been given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to immigration? My wife's family is of Irish heritage, and Ireland never kept the best of records. They ended up fibbing much of their information to make it into America (many Irish immigrants used the same Catholic holiday as a birthdate because they just didn't know), and yet they were granted entry anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of immigrants from all parts of the world have similar stories of fudging the rules a little. The majority of Hispanic immigrants who currently have "illegal" or "undocumented" status started off by going through proper channels, but were unable to get a visa renewed, or some other legal loophole that wasn't able to be filled - they aren't all coming over through tunnels in the middle of the night never giving legal citizenship/residency a 2nd thought like you're lead to believe.

The first question that must be addressed for immigration reform is "What is it about our current immigration laws that are so onerous and difficult to follow that so many are willing to risk jail and/or deportation to come here?" Is our pathway to citizenship too difficult?

The second question that needs to be asked is "How many Hispanics do we want?" I believe we currently have restrictions on the number of people from Mexico who can be granted citizenship in a year - should we allow anyone who wants to become a citizen to do so? What about our citizenship test - we require immigrants to learn things about our government that half of existing citizens don't know. Is that proper? How can we require immigrants to learn English when the USA does not have an official language?

Bottom line, the problem of immigration is very complex with many critical ethical questions that need to be answered, and the solution is helluva lot more complex than a simple ignorant statement such as "Build a damn wall!"
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Boeing717200

Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:18 am

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 54):

Do you know for a 100% fact that your ancestors followed all rules and proper channels to emigrate here, or do you just assume so because they're European, and Europeans have always been given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to immigration? My wife's family is of Irish heritage, and Ireland never kept the best of records.

Yes, they did. My great grandparents all survived to their mid 90's so the genealogy and who moved where and when was well known. They were all born here between 1895 and 1905 with the earliest family arrival in 1890. Two of my Great Grandmothers had a fixation on genealogy and even have addresses from where their parents lived. They even kept tickets from their parents trips over which is kind of cool to actually have and many people have nothing of the sort. Maybe some ship list pulled out of a site like Ancenstry. The other two are German and even I can find their stuff.

[Edited 2015-07-20 18:38:34]

jetwet1

Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:29 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 51):
Even the ludicrous idea of building more walls, and making Mexico pay for them.

The amazing thing is, the "wall" has already been approved, guess who refused to fund it...Obama ????

Nope, the Republican congress.....

Anyways, I was driving around town today running errands, a guy I listen to ( Jim Villanucci ) who is Republican, but NOT a nut job was on, he loves having the Tea Party people call in and making themselves sound like idiots, anyways, he was playing clips of Trumps speeches and it dawned on me who Rush is copying, another far right talking head, Mr Rush himself, listen to them talk, they could be twins.

So yes, Trump will have a following, and Rush is pandering to him, he is pushing his listeners to support Trump, so who knows, maybe we will all get lucky and they will both self destruct with this stance.

Boeing717200

Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:49 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 56):

Rush has more lives than a cat. I can't even remember the last time I actually listened to him. I think it maybe during the Lewinsky thing when it was funny as hell to listen to him. That said, can't imagine his show is long for this world. Isn't he like 70?

LAX772LR

Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:12 am

Quoting adipasquale (Reply 48):

Some people don't seem to realize that the United States is a nation of immigrants and continuously find reasons to bash new immigrants, without realizing their ancestors were many times subjected to the same slander

Bah! My ancestors didn't give up everything they own, come to this country, and work their butts off.... just to see it overrun by Mexicans trying to do the same thing!

~signed,
White RightWingers
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

LMP737
Topic Author

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:33 am

Irish, Welsh and German.

The Welsh? Maybe 250-300 years ago.

The difference is, they came here legally.

One, that's irrelevant when it comes to the what people have said about various immigrant groups. Two, can you say for certain that they were all legal? And don't forget there was a period of time in this country where you just showed up. No immigration officer waiting for you at the docks.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

LMP737
Topic Author

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:36 am

Quoting 910A (Reply 10):
Respect someone who was in the service fine, but let's not call him a hero. Military, and public safety employees are not heros, they volunteer for this type of assignment. I had a professor back in the day when I was working on my masters, who was a senior officer in the Hanoi Hilton and he (also was a Republican State Senator) stated the senior officer group petitioned the Department of Defense to file treason charges against McCain.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me.../no-evidence-mccain-was-a-traitor/

Boeing717200

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:16 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 59):

The Welsh? Maybe 250-300 years ago.

Welsh immigration was low by the 1890's but not non existent.

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 59):

One, that's irrelevant when it comes to the what people have said about various immigrant groups. Two, can you say for certain that they were all legal? And don't forget there was a period of time in this country where you just showed up. No immigration officer waiting for you at the docks.

Already explained.

Boeing717200

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:20 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 60):

Which is no wonder Trumps polling cratered in the last day of the most recent poll. I'd imagine the next poll cycle will show him tanking. The guy is an ass.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...-11e5-8f36-18d1d501920d_story.html

maxter

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:52 am

Quoting Redd (Reply 11):

I wouldn't even care but this sideshow is rubbing off on other western nations,

Yup, been in Australia lately... It sure has.
maxter

Moose135

Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:28 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 58):
Bah! My ancestors didn't give up everything they own, come to this country, and work their butts off.... just to see it overrun by Mexicans trying to do the same thing!

~signed,
White RightWingers

KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

bmacleod

Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:57 pm

The GOP is correct in their assertion: This loose cannon needs to be stopped.

I do hope Trump after coming to his senses and bows out that he brings back Celebrity Apprentice.

[Edited 2015-07-21 06:58:18]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

Boeing717200

Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 64):

He's an illegal too. While disputed in the window of time, his ancestors came here 14,000 to 30,000 years ago. I'm pretty sure no one stamped his passport.

desertjets

Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:40 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 66):
He's an illegal too. While disputed in the window of time, his ancestors came here 14,000 to 30,000 years ago. I'm pretty sure no one stamped his passport.

Yeah, but there was nobody there to stamp his passport.

Prior to roughly 1920, unless you were Chinese or were obviously ill or mentally deficient, once you rolled off of the boat you were pretty much granted admission into the US long-term. Since then we created an elaborate and complicated that privileges a few at the expense of most others. While we have entire industries that fully take advantage of large numbers of undocumented workers. So until we can get beyond the whole illegals are bringing drugs, rapists, measles, and taking our jerbs we cannot have a meaningful discussion.

To be honest I am not sure if Trump is delusional or if this is the greatest piece of performance art ever.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Boeing717200

Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:00 pm

Quoting desertjets (Reply 67):
To be honest I am not sure if Trump is delusional or if this is the greatest piece of performance art ever.

I think he's just a narcissist who can't stand not being in the limelight. His kind of extravagance has always been a bit bizzare to me. He got his announcement bounce, albeit larger than most because of his notoriety, but the kind of bombs he's dropping are going to ensure that he goes nowhere. I'm waiting for his 1% bomb, I'm sure that's coming. Dude can't help himself.

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 65):
I do hope Trump after coming to his senses and bows out that he brings back Celebrity Apprentice.

LOL

[Edited 2015-07-21 08:02:07]

Flighty

Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 49):
A President should be able to know when to NOT go into a war - W & Cheney sure proved that.

There are a lot of things we need from a President and no experience in DC (or "too much" experience) is not the factor that is most important. Carter sure proved that as much as W & Cheney.

Good point and thank you for your post. I was not alive in the Carter admin. Fully agree that Trump better not start wars. He had better give a strong anti Iraq war speech. Otherwise I definitely won't vote for him.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 50):
In what way is Trump a regular person that understands reality ? He was born a 1%er !

He understands success and failure and creating jobs. He may not be the world's best businessman, but he has some skills there, including negotiation -- a sorely lacking skill for decades of US leaders. And at least he is a man, not a strategic committee. Hillary loves committees. They are ways to avoid accountability and do nothing.

The American middle class has been utterly victimized by the world, US politicians and US businesses. That's because no one was advocating for them. I think Trump might and if he can, he's going to do well.

LMP737
Topic Author

Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:44 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 69):
He may not be the world's best businessman, but he has some skills there, including negotiation -- a sorely lacking skill for decades of US leaders. And at least he is a man, not a strategic committee. Hillary loves committees.

Does a President negotiate everything by himself? No he does not that's what he has cabinet secretaries for. Personally I can think of nothing scarier than a vain, insecure narcissist who like to insult people negotiating anything.

DocLightning

Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:49 pm

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 65):
The GOP is correct in their assertion: This loose cannon needs to be stopped.

No, let's be very clear:

Mr. Trump is now about twice as popular among likely GOP voters as his two closest rivals, Mr. Walker and Mr. Bush. So it is completely accurate to say that more GOP likely voters support Mr. Trump than any other GOP candidate.

And that means that his hateful, racist, and anti-American rhetoric seems to resonate with a large sector of GOP voters.

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 62):

Which is no wonder Trumps polling cratered in the last day of the most recent poll. I'd imagine the next poll cycle will show him tanking. The guy is an ass.

Now it is certainly true that his most recent polling numbers were collected immediately before his anti-American comments and that there was a mild dip, but it still underscores the fact that he resonates with the largest portion of the party base. If they couldn't see this sort of gaffe coming, then they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Quoting Flighty (Reply 69):
He understands success and failure and creating jobs.

No he doesn't. He hasn't created big employment; he's mostly an investor. And he has retained an opulent personal lifestyle in spite of having failed four times. So no, he has no sense of understanding of any of these things.

Much like Islamic terrorists born and raised in the US, it's obvious that Mr. Trump views the country that has born and raised him with nothing but the deepest contempt and would like to see it dismantled and replaced with a country that operates according to his own fantastical rules. The only difference is that he's not using terrorism; he's using politics.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ER757

Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:46 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 5):
He's not running for President. He's running for attention. Trump loves attention as much as he hates doing actual work

Bingo - biggest media whore in history. Make all those "reality show" contestants look like rank amateurs. At least he's good for comic relief - hilarious stunt today giving out Lindsey Graham's phone number  

MaverickM11

Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:10 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 72):
Bingo - biggest media whore in history. Make all those "reality show" contestants look like rank amateurs. At least he's good for comic relief - hilarious stunt today giving out Lindsey Graham's phone number  

Re: Rick Perry:
""He put on glasses so people think he's smart. People can see through the glasses.""

He has a point 
I don't take responsibility at all

BestWestern

Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:41 am

States a man who put on a wig so people think he is young. People can see through the wig.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

DocLightning

Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:58 am

No, he is actually nuts. Anti-vaccine, birther, conspiracy theorist.

I do not believe that he still has rational motivations.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Flighty

Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:59 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 71):
Much like Islamic terrorists born and raised in the US, it's obvious that Mr. Trump views the country that has born and raised him with nothing but the deepest contempt and would like to see it dismantled and replaced with a country that operates according to his own fantastical rules.

I agree that is a vulgar and rich guy, but he apparently employs around 22,000 people. Yes, he has an opulent lifestyle too.

We mostly agree that Trump is kind of an ass. So, where we disagree is that Hillary is better. Hillary will start bombing the Palestinians as soon, if not sooner, than Trump will.

dragon-wings

Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:00 am

hilarious stunt today giving out Lindsey Graham's phone number

I bet Trump would not like it if someone gave out his phone number.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

DocLightning

Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:40 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 76):
I agree that is a vulgar and rich guy, but he apparently employs around 22,000 people. Yes, he has an opulent lifestyle too.

His companies employ that many people in aggregate. Given how wealthy he is, that's not very impressive.

Google employs about 55,000.

Quoting Flighty (Reply 76):
So, where we disagree is that Hillary is better. Hillary will start bombing the Palestinians as soon, if not sooner, than Trump will.

Well, let's see. Hillary has a number of policy positions in line with policies that have worked well in the past. She would not start bombing the Palestinians. She has been supportive of the agreement with Iran because she doesn't want to start bombing them, either. She has no history of gun-grabbing and generally has been shown to be a competent political leader.

Mr. Trump has none of these qualifications. His businesses have declared bankruptcy four times and he has extolled the virtues of bankruptcy. He seems to support military solutions to international policy. He clearly hates a lot about America and Americans. I don't see them being at all on the same level.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Boeing717200

Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:47 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 71):

No, let's be very clear:

Mr. Trump is now about twice as popular among likely GOP voters as his two closest rivals, Mr. Walker and Mr. Bush. So it is completely accurate to say that more GOP likely voters support Mr. Trump than any other GOP candidate.

And that means that his hateful, racist, and anti-American rhetoric seems to resonate with a large sector of GOP voters.

No, let's be very clear.

He had a celebrity bounce. Then he opened his pie hole.

DocLightning

Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:02 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 79):
No, let's be very clear.

At present he is the leading GOP candidate. That may or may not remain true tomorrow.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Boeing717200

Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:55 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 80):

He cratered as the polling progressed because of his antics and 74% disagree with his immigration position.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...s-washington-post-poll-120379.html

Apologies for crushing the narrative.

[Edited 2015-07-21 19:57:00]

DocLightning

Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:23 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 81):
He cratered as the polling progressed because of his antics and 74% disagree with his immigration position.

And 24% agree. That's a nontrivial proportion.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Boeing717200

Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:26 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 82):

It's okay man. You'll survive. And yeah, it is trivial.

Odd are, based on my neighbors comments the other day, that in that trivial percent are a few Hispanics.

[Edited 2015-07-21 20:33:15]

johnboy

Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:28 am

Quoting dragon-wings (Reply 77):
hilarious stunt today giving out Lindsey Graham's phone number

I bet Trump would not like it if someone gave out his phone number.

Make no mistake about it, the ONLY reason Trump fired that shot across Graham's bow was to show that he has absolutely NO problem raising issues concerning Miss Lindsay's, um, "confirmed bachelorhood" on a national scale.

I'm surprised he hasn't done it already.

LAX772LR

Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:33 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 75):
I do not believe that he still has rational motivations.

Huh?? ...he has a VERY rational motivation: Self promotion. Brand (himself) recognition. Book sales. Interviews.

Basically, his is the same reason Ben Carson, Ted Cruz, Bobby Jindal, and many of the rest of them are in the race-- he's just doing it a whoooooooole lot better.

Is it ethical? Arguably no.
Is it helpful to anyone other than himself? No.

But for the proclaimed "Distraction With Traction," it seems hard to make a case that what it's doing is irrational.

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:35 am

This is crazy, the more the media turns on the Donald, the higher he polls.

DeltaMD90

Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:25 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 79):
No, let's be very clear.

Not really, he was chillin in the mid single digits for a while. It's when he started to make his points and say the crazy, racist things that he started to go up in the polls. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he'll be the nominee, but the timeline you're describing is off. He is absolutely getting some amount of support from his antics, not just his name

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 83):
And yeah, it is trivial.

No, I'd say an entire quarter of likely voters of a party is pretty substantial, even if they never gain the majority. We're not talking about a few whackos here and there, we're talking about 1 in 4... that's a hefty amount.

Now to be fair, I think many are just refreshed to see a break from the status quo and someone that isn't playing the establishment's game, but still, the things he says and the large amount (yes, 24% is a large amount) of support he is getting is an embarrassment to the GOP

Boeing717200

Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:46 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 87):

Keep repeating it. Someone will believe you.

Ken777

Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:50 pm

CNN has posted a brief clip of Jon Stewart commenting on Trump's Hair.

Worth watching unless you area a strong fan of Trump

http://www.cnn.com/videos/entertainm...ewart-donald-trump-hair-newday.cnn

DeltaMD90

Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:51 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 88):
Keep repeating it. Someone will believe you.

What is this, third grade?

And what, you don't think 24% is a sizable percentage of a group?

skyservice_330

Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:24 pm

According to Breitbart (and the poll referenced), Trump hasn't taken a hit from his McCain comments:

In a poll conducted from July 17th to July 20th, support for GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump hasn't taken a hit despite Trump’s comments about Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) on Saturday, July 18th, while attending the Family Leadership Summit in Iowa.

A recent Morning Consult poll reveals Trump leads all of the GOP contenders, with 22 percent of the vote. This places Trump seven percentage points ahead of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who held 15 percent of the vote. Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker came in third place with 12 percent of the vote.

There is no evidence that Trump’s numbers have slumped after comments he made questioning Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) war record. Though most of the rest of the Republican field — and even the Republican National Committee — loudly criticized Trump after he made the comments on Saturday morning at an event in Iowa, voters interviewed afterward weren't any less likely to say they support him.

The bad news for Trump in this poll is that he is also the GOP presidential candidate with the highest unfavorable rating.

See:
http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...se-no-hit-from-john-mccain-attack/
and
http://morningconsult.com/2015/07/tr...-no-slump-after-attacks-on-mccain/

DeltaMD90

Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:46 pm

Quoting skyservice_330 (Reply 91):
There is no evidence that Trump’s numbers have slumped after comments he made questioning Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) war record.

There are conflicting reports. The other poll that had him at 24%, IIRC, had him at 28% until the last day (after he made the remarks) in which he got "single digits." That doesn't quite jive with the couple other polls I have seen, or at least not that dramatic of a drop.

It might have initially hurt him but he seems to have maneuvered his way out of it. Funny thing is that in the end, John McCain was the one that apologized (to the people he called crazies, saying it was a term of endearment.) Right.....

skyservice_330

Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:58 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 92):
There are conflicting reports. The other poll that had him at 24%, IIRC, had him at 28% until the last day (after he made the remarks) in which he got "single digits." That doesn't quite jive with the couple other polls I have seen, or at least not that dramatic of a drop.

Agreed - overall, though, doesn't seem like it is having a material impact or causing him to plummet in the polls. That said, he may not survive a future controversial comment as easily...

Real Clear Politics has a good amalgamation of the polls and shows Trump sitting at an average of 18 to Bush at 13.4. It doesn't include the Morning Consult poll noted above, but does include another poll that was done July 20/21.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo..._presidential_nomination-3823.html

I still get a chuckle from the front of the post. Can't help but think it captured what a lot of people were thinking...

http://a5.img.talkingpointsmemo.com/image/upload/w_652/nakpfyysllluoetfij6s.jpg

This satire piece in the New Yorker was also pretty funny...

Trump Says He Heroically Avoided Capture in Vietnam by Staying in U.S.

Presidential candidate Donald Trump revealed a little-known episode of personal heroism from his youth on Saturday, telling an Iowa audience that he narrowly avoided capture in Vietnam by remaining in the United States for the duration of the war.
“Those brave Americans who, like me, avoided being captured by not serving at all—we are the true heroes,” he said.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borow...pture-in-vietnam-by-staying-in-u-s

Boeing717200

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:29 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 90):

What is this, third grade?

And what, you don't think 24% is a sizable percentage of a group?

24% of Democrats do not support gay Marriage. Is that a detriment to the Democrats? Is their party falling apart? Is it the end of the DNC?

http://www.gallup.com/poll/183272/re...mericans-support-sex-marriage.aspx

Aesma

Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:16 am

Since a majority of US citizens support gay marriage, then it's not a problem for the Democrats.

Now the centrists (what you call independents) are looking at Trump and thinking voting GOP is out of the question.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Boeing717200

Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:41 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 95):

Since a majority of US citizens support gay marriage, then it's not a problem for the Democrats.

Now the centrists (what you call independents) are looking at Trump and thinking voting GOP is out of the question.

Since a majorly of US citizens support immigration, then it's not a problem for the Republicans either.

You can't have it both ways.

[Edited 2015-07-22 19:44:42]

StarAC17

Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:56 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 27):
Then I reviewed his history. His birtherism. His anti-vaccine rants. His call for revolution after the 2012 election. The fact that he's been bankrupted four times and considers himself a competent businessman.

Best argument against trump being a competent businessman. You bankrupted a casino.

A President should be able to serve the poor and middle class with the same vigor as he or she serves the wealthy. A real challenge for a lot of the GOP these days.

That is a challenge for the democrats too.

He won't make it to thee general election but he may well remind a lot of voters that we should be a moral nation, not one where cash is put before country where the wealthy are concerned.

Bernie might not but I think the dem nominee has yet to enter the race. If I was the DNC I would be looking at real progressives that echo Bernie's policies but have a more charisma to them.

I would love to see Howard Dean make a comeback.

If it has to be Hillary then hopefully Bernie puts enough pressure on her to shift here positions to help the poor and middle class.

Hillary and Jeb don't scare me but Rick sure does. He's smart enough to be dangerous but not smart enough to be President.

Scott Walker is the candidate who scares me as he has the money behind him.

Rick Perry is a idiot even with the glasses.

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 56):
The amazing thing is, the "wall" has already been approved, guess who refused to fund it...Obama ????

Nope, the Republican congress.....

The wall paid for by the Mexican people.

Quoting maxter (Reply 63):
Quoting Redd (Reply 11):

I wouldn't even care but this sideshow is rubbing off on other western nations,

Yup, been in Australia lately... It sure has.

Canada too, we have an election coming up in October and the conservatives in power are running very red meat attack ads constantly.

Quoting adipasquale (Reply 43):
I know. However, this does not take away from the fact that Trump has surged towards the front of the GOP race (even if its is based mostly on name recognition) while the vast majority of dems condemn his views, particularly towards immigrants.

I think his views on trade are helping him on both sides. He openly says that free trade agreements are screwing the American worker.

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 70):
Does a President negotiate everything by himself? No he does not that's what he has cabinet secretaries for. Personally I can think of nothing scarier than a vain, insecure narcissist who like to insult people negotiating anything.

I can see him insulting Merkel like he did Rosie O'Donnell if he has a disagreement with her.

Furthermore do you think that Putin is scared of Trump, he would squash him like a bug in a contentious situation.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

LAX772LR

Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:49 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 97):
I would love to see Howard Dean make a comeback.

Which, when ya think about it, is almost unbelievable that it happened over a jocular little whoop at the end of a pep speech!

Granted, he was on camera basically telling an elderly person to sit down and shut up... be was see the likes of that from Christie/Trump/etc all day every day, so in retrospect, it's just so odd to see how his campaign fell apart over something so comparatively trivial both them (and especially) now.

http://s3-ak.buzzfeed.com/static/enhanced/webdr06/2013/7/22/10/original-21237-1374502352-36.jpg

BestWestern

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:25 am

It's laughable that the free trade agreements are screwing the American worker when trump himself was a poster child for and advocate of outsourcing.

Trump is attracting the very same people who fell for our Alaskan dame. They are falling for the rhetoric of bombast and allure of celebrity.

If, big if, Trump wins the GOP race will Hilary get a boost or will the centre right just not vote next November?
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.