Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RussianJet
Topic Author

Traditional Shaving

Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:29 pm

Are there any real shaving fans here?

I'm talking razor blades, soaps, brushes and the like. I'm a big fan of shaving with traditional double-edge blades and take great interest in finding which blade works best in which razor and with my particular skin and beard. Many out there prefer a proper straight razor, but for me it seems like a hell of a lot of work maintaining the blade, all that stropping and sharpening.

I'm of the opinion that traditional products like these not only provide excellent value for money but also a much better shave and nicer routine. Cartridge refills are a complete con. One hundred good blades will last you about a year and cost between ten and twenty dollars (I just ordered 100 of a good type for 12 USD delivered).

If you prefer the Gillette rip-off cartiridges for four dollars each or whatever they cost, presumably with a short-lived and expensive can of gel or foam, why exactly would that be? I can see no advantage these days, despite having used such products a lot down the years.

What kind of blades do you prefer and why? Any particularly nasty blades out there for you? I'm in the market for a nice, large, new brush. Any particularly good suggestions there?

Let's hear your thoughts and advice.

MrChips

RE: Traditional Shaving

Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:08 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Thread starter):
I'm talking razor blades, soaps, brushes and the like. I'm a big fan of shaving with traditional double-edge blades and take great interest in finding which blade works best in which razor and with my particular skin and beard. Many out there prefer a proper straight razor, but for me it seems like a hell of a lot of work maintaining the blade, all that stropping and sharpening.

I do both; during my work week I'll shave with a safety razor and on my days off, with a straight razor. The straight razor is a bit more work but once you get it down, stropping the blade takes only a minute or two. I actually prefer the straight razor shave, but getting it right is a time-consuming process; not really compatible with the way I usually run my mornings.

I'm in the market for a nice, large, new brush. Any particularly good suggestions there?

Can't go wrong with this one:

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Vulf...er-Badger-Shaving-Brush_p_429.html

TSS

Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:18 am

Cartridge refills are a complete con.

Agreed 100%. Instead of three, four, or five mediocre blades in a wildly over-priced and horribly clog-prone cartridge, I prefer one good blade in a razor that can be cleared of all accumulated beard hair with one quick swish under running water.

presumably with a short-lived and expensive can of gel or foam

I've tried the gels and I can only assume they're designed for people who either don't have very much facial hair or whose facial hair is fine-textured and wispy; my facial hair is dense and coarse, and gels just make a big mess of it that the razor can't cut through and instead skates across.

As for foams, good old Barbisol is best. You can spend a lot more on fancy "designer" brands of foam, but you won't get a product that's better than, or even as good as, Barbisol.

Max Q

Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:27 am

Many out there prefer a proper straight razor,

Are you referring to the old school 'cut throat razor' ?

I'm sure they're effective but the potential for serious injury seems very high !

I haven't use a double edged blade in years and i'm curious how effective they are, I agree with you on the modern multiple
blade set ups, how expensive and easily cloggable they are.

If I haven't shaved in a few days I will 'kill' a couple of disposable razors before I do a final close shave with my multi blade razor.

Shaving is a massive pita but its worth it, amazing how much better it makes you feel.

MD11Engineer

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:58 am

Iown two "cut throat" razors and had an old barber teach me how to strop and use them. Though the ergonomics suck if you try to shave yourself. Normally I use cheap two bladed disposable razors (one will last me for maybe 2-3 weeks, even though I have a strong growth of beard), but with traditional shaving soap and a brush.
Occasionally (especially in the Philippines) I treat myself to a traditional haircut and shave at a local barber.

Jan

tommy1808

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:49 am

If you prefer the Gillette rip-off cartiridges for four dollars eac

well, who doesn´t like a 5000% profit margin throughout the manufacture/distribution chain  

Biggest con is the illusion that you need a new blade often, while in fact blades have almost zero wear.

best regards
Thomas

PhilBy

Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:23 pm

If you prefer the Gillette rip-off cartiridges for four dollars each or whatever they cost, presumably with a short-lived and expensive can of gel or foam, why exactly would that be? I can see no advantage these days, despite having used such products a lot down the years.

I occasionally use a straight razor or shavette (imitation straight that uses half a 'safety blade'). You need to be awake and sober or you risk losing blood. Most days I use a Gilette cartridge razor with shaving soap and badger brush. A soap lasts most of the year and I find I use about 4-6 cartridges a year for shaving twice a day.

CrimsonNL

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:40 pm

I use a safety razor on days that I have time for a proper shave. My initial motivation to switch to a safety razor were as mentioned the extremely expensive cartridge razors, which also give you a very mediocre shave. However as I work shifts I use a disposable razor when I have to get up for work at 3:45 AM.

When I use my safety razor, I also use a brush and shaving soap. I currently use a fantastic British soap, Dr Harris' Arlington, which I really like, the scent is amazing. My razor and brush are both German, made by Muhle. I still haven't decided which blades I like best, the Feather blades from Japan which are insanely sharp are quite good, and I like Shark blades which I believe are made in Egypt and are very cheap and sharp. When I got into double-edge shaving I started with Derby blades which are somewhat more forgiving, and excellent quality.

As for aftershave I use either the Italian Proraso aftershave, which has a lovely scent and cooling touch, or an off-the-shelf balm by Nivea which makes for a surprisingly smooth skin considering its price!

I'd like to switch to a straight razor at some point, but for now the safety razor works fine for me. It's a much better shave then with those nonsensical 5 blade cartridges, and shaving is a much more satisfying process now too.

My two (euro) cents

Martijn

desertjets

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:14 pm

I have a full beard that I get rather lazy with. Typically I trim, edge and razor my lines once a week -- usually Sunday nights. My GF bought me a brush and several shaving soaps a few years back. Given that I only do this once a week at best I am still on my 2nd soap. For razors I ended up switching to some Schick twin blade disposables that cost about $8.00 for a 4 pack -- and those last me quite a while. Before that I used the Gillette Mach 3 and got fed up with paying all that money for refills.

Quoting TSS (Reply 2):
As for foams, good old Barbisol is best. You can spend a lot more on fancy "designer" brands of foam, but you won't get a product that's better than, or even as good as, Barbisol.

Back in my non-bearded days it was always Barbisol or Gillette Foamy. For a $1.29 a can you could never beat that.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 4):
Occasionally (especially in the Philippines) I treat myself to a traditional haircut and shave at a local barber.

I finally found myself a proper barber last year and went in the other week for a beard trim with the razor line up. A proper beard trim plus a hot towel shave, with a straight razor, to clean up the beardless areas was a nice way to spend my lunch hour.

A332DTW

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:18 pm

I gave up on finding the right razor. Right now I'm using Schick Hydro 3 blade. It seems to be the lesser of two evils. Whatever I use I still get an irritated neck afterwards.

mbmbos

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:42 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 2):
I've tried the gels and I can only assume they're designed for people who either don't have very much facial hair or whose facial hair is fine-textured and wispy; my facial hair is dense and coarse, and gels just make a big mess of it that the razor can't cut through and instead skates across.

I use the Art of Shaving's sandalwood shave cream. It runs $25 for a 5 oz. jar but it lasts 7-8 months. I have a heavy beard and I find that using this shave cream while shaving in the shower gives me the closest shave and the fewest razor bumps.

And the sandalwood scent is pleasing yet subtle. It doesn't smell too hippy-dippy.

Ken777

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:04 pm

When I started shaving (many years ago) I used an electric shaver, which worked fine as there was little to shave.

At some point I went to the basic Gillette double blade until Gillette came out with their first twin blade. There was actually a good article in Time on the engineer at Gillette who figure that out after a brain fart one weekend and had a styrofoam model ready for a show & tell Monday morning. Tried it and preferred it over the twin blade. When Gillette went to a vibrating version I tried it and really liked it - I'm retired and have the time to relax an move the blade slowly over the skin. The newest one that swivels is an improvement I can use as I have some odd angles on the side where I had a parotid gland removed.

Gillette Foamy is also my preference. I shave in the shower so the hair is moist and the Foamy does all I need to do.

The only exotic part of my shaving is the after shave. My wife and I went through a company in France as our excursion on a cruise. In addition to developing fragrances for "Designers" they make a night cream for women with caviar that sells for a fraction of what is paid in the stores. (49 Euro -v- several hundred) My wife decided to try a jar so I picked up an after shave balm for the heck of it. My wife has very delicate skin and loves the night cream - as well as the day cream. The after shave balm is the absolute best AS Balm I have used.

I place an order over the internet for replenishing both my after shave balm and the wife's creams.

The company, BTW, is Galimard and the address is Galimard.com

RussianJet
Topic Author

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:56 pm

Glad to see some enthusiasm for this.

Quoting TSS (Reply 2):
one good blade in a razor that can be cleared of all accumulated beard hair with one quick swish under running water.

SO much more effective for this - hair clogging more commercial razors is a huge problem and affects the performance massively. One swish in the water and the double-edge blade is completely clean.

Quoting Max Q (Reply 3):
Are you referring to the old school 'cut throat razor' ?

Yes.

Quoting Max Q (Reply 3):
I haven't use a double edged blade in years and i'm curious how effective they are, I agree with you on the modern multiple

I am finding them incredibly effective, though it's essential to get the right blade and razor combo that works best for you. The variety is huge and the differences between the different types far more marked that I ever imagined.

Quoting Max Q (Reply 3):
Shaving is a massive pita

Exactly. It's now turned into a more pleasant and rather interesting ritual for me though, making it much less of a pita than before. Once you're well and truly in the habit, and with the right equipment, it doesn't have to take very long at all to properly wet shave.

Quoting Max Q (Reply 3):
but its worth it, amazing how much better it makes you feel.

That's for sure.

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 5):
Biggest con is the illusion that you need a new blade often, while in fact blades have almost zero wear.

Double-edge blades certainly lose effectiveness. It's very noticeable after a certain number of shaves (varying a lot from blade to blade).

MrHMSH

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:22 pm

I'm not sure how relevant I am, I'm only 21 and my 'beard' is wispy, thin and ginger. But I just use normal shaving cream from Gillette and a Wilkinson Sword razor. I'm pretty bad at it, I don't think I've gone a shave without cutting myself! But I think I'm doing it wrong looking at how some of the posters do it themselves.

RussianJet
Topic Author

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:52 pm

If you're cutting yourself habitually then you're certainly doing something wrong. Watch some videos for some tips.

EA CO AS

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:46 pm

I buy from Dollar Shave Club and have cartridges delivered monthly. No hassle.

As far as shaving goes, my beard grows in thick, but slowly. I generally shave 2X weekly, and it's a dry shave; no cream, foam, soap, or even water. Gets me the closest shave.

RussianJet
Topic Author

Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 15):

As far as shaving goes, my beard grows in thick, but slowly. I generally shave 2X weekly, and it's a dry shave; no cream, foam, soap, or even water. Gets me the closest shave.

Wow. At your lack of any kind of facial lubrication/protection. Can't imagine it. I assume you have tried it WITH good stuff too?  

As for the razors, well whatever works for you of course. One thing I will say is that having looked at their site, the dollar shave club guys have a great idea and some very good marketing skills.

EA CO AS

Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:33 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 16):
I assume you have tried it WITH good stuff too?

I have, and believe it or not, a dry shave still works better for me.

Crazy, I know.

diverted

Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:08 pm

I use a shavette mainly because I like just popping a new blade in and being good to go. I'll probably pick up a nice straight razor at some point in the future but for now this works just fine.

Disposable, cartridge razors always gave me bad razorburn, and never a great shave, so I changed it up, and have never looked back.

I cut myself pretty good the first few times, nothing serious. After about a week it gets easier, now I hardly ever nick myself.

Hot shaving soap feels way better on the face than any aerosal garbage (also, look at the ingredients on a can of Gillete/Schick/etc shave gel.....)

For those interested, try out the soap commander line of soaps...epic stuff.

And for some reason, I'm a big fan of the cheap,old school barber shop type after shaves (Brut, OG Old Spice, Aqua Velva etc) maybe something from my childhood that I remember?

Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:27 pm

I'm of the opinion that traditional products like these not only provide excellent value for money but also a much better shave and nicer routine. Cartridge refills are a complete con. One hundred good blades will last you about a year and cost between ten and twenty dollars (I just ordered 100 of a good type for 12 USD delivered).

Absolutely right. Although I have a beard at the moment (trimmed fairly short), when I do shave I do use a DE safety razor (Merkur) and those excellent Japanese Feather blades. I got a large pack of those blades for about $50 and they will probably last another year.

I use Proraso shaving soap, it is cheap and great quality, follow it up it with the lozione dopobarba (also Proraso). For after shave, I tend to recommend Truefitt & Hill. Extreme old school, but it is good.

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 13):
I don't think I've gone a shave without cutting myself! But I think I'm doing it wrong looking at how some of the posters do it themselves.

Light touch, you aren't hacking down tree branches. Have a really hot shower, or use a hot towel on your face for a minute, maybe also apply a pre-shave cream. That should help. Then lather up with shaving soap and use a sharp blade in a double edge safety razor. You should be able to manage this without cuts. The Merkur razor I use (just a standard one) with Feather blades never gives me cuts or irritation.

diverted

Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:44 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 19):
DE safety razor (Merkur) and those excellent Japanese Feather blades. I got a large pack of those blades for about $50 and they will probably last another year.

Yes! Feather's are the best. I started with Shark super stainless blades and thought the shave was good...boy was I wrong.

Quoting cpd (Reply 19):
Light touch, you aren't hacking down tree branches

Agreed. you want the blade to glide over your skin. The goal is hair removal, not hair elimination. If you have to re lather and do a second pass at a different angle do it! Don't get razorburn to save a minute

Aesma

Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:08 am

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 6):
A soap lasts most of the year and I find I use about 4-6 cartridges a year for shaving twice a day.

Wow, shaving twice a day might be the trick then, I rarely shave as I don't like it, so the second time I use a new cartridge is days after the first use, and already I feel like it's all rusty, the feeling is not the same at all. Sure it shaves but that feeling is not nice.

In the end I keep a three days beard that I trim with a beard trimmer and shave only for special occasions.

jetwet1

Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:09 am

Quoting A332DTW (Reply 9):
Whatever I use I still get an irritated neck afterwards.

Have you tried using cold water rather than warm/hot ? It worked for me.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 15):

Agreed, great service, low price, great razors.

A332DTW

Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:29 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 22):
Have you tried using cold water rather than warm/hot ? It worked for me.

I have. It reduces the redness, but the razor bumps are still there the first day. I'm thinking of trying the Merkur safety razor.

PhilBy

Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:10 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 21):
so the second time I use a new cartridge is days after the first use

Using a cartridge shaver after several days is almost guaranteed to wreck it, especially againt the grain. They don't seem to be able to cope with more than a days growth. As the lauragais summers require multiple showers per day I just shave in the shower and the jet is good for cleaning between the blades.

diverted

Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:18 pm

Quoting A332DTW (Reply 23):
I have. It reduces the redness, but the razor bumps are still there the first day. I'm thinking of trying the Merkur safety razor.

The Merkur's are awesome razors, but make sure you buy a good set of blades. They make a world of difference.

Adipasquale

Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:54 pm

Can anybody recommend a good low price (under $20) brush. I've tried a couple $8-10 ones and they're okay for the price, but I was wondering if there are any cheap ones that any of you have found to stand out from the rest. Obviously the more expensive ones will usually be better, but I really can't justify shelling out $50+ for a shaving brush.

ALexeu

Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:05 pm

Oh yes, I am very guilty of traditional shaving!

Used to have shaving before I tried the traditional one. Now I am enjoying every time I have to shave. Every time I travel I tend to look for domestic shaving soaps, there are some very good ones... I still didn't try the cut throat one though, only two-sided razors.

Those who are not shaving traditionally, don't know what they are missing!

sw733

Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 22):
Agreed, great service, low price, great razors.

I started with the $6 blades and hated them. Switched to the $9 blades (every other month) and love them - best shave of my life. I use them along with Cremo Shave Cream.

SaschaYHZ

Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:59 pm

I've stuck with Gillette cartridges....ahh well, it's what I'm used to. I like using a shaving brush and soap generally, and foam or gel when I'm in more of a rush. I tend to buy Proraso shaving soap when using the brush, and their foam product when not using the brush. I like using Old Spice classic scent aftershave...I like it, and others seem to like the smell of it too.

[Edited 2015-08-05 17:00:34]

MrChips

Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:14 am

Quoting adipasquale (Reply 26):

Can anybody recommend a good low price (under $20) brush. I've tried a couple $8-10 ones and they're okay for the price, but I was wondering if there are any cheap ones that any of you have found to stand out from the rest. Obviously the more expensive ones will usually be better, but I really can't justify shelling out $50+ for a shaving brush.

You won't find much in that price range, but this is a decent brush:

http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-280...8-1&keywords=tweezerman+boar+brush

Bear in mind that once you try out one of the more expensive brushes (like the one I posted earlier), you'll wonder how you ever used a cheap brush in the first place....it makes that much of a difference. You really do get what you pay for in this case.

[Edited 2015-08-05 20:15:09]

coolian2

Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:32 am

I use the gilette three blade cartridges. Even with rough hair one will last six months before shaving gets a bit dicey.

Point currently moot, haven't shaved since April.

sf260

Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:19 pm

Haha, I see how you it lasts six months. I am also using cartridges at the moment, they only last 4-5 shaves before it needs a change and I f*cking hate that overpriced stuff. I made up my mind and I am going to buy a double-edge safety razor and, sometime down the road, a straight razor. I just looks like how a real man should shave.
I have found a shop in Antwerp where they sell all the gear and they have a great online tutorial for people like me who only ever used cartridges. So I am going there next week. They also offer 2h-workshops to learn how to handle straight razors, sharpening & shaving etc. Looks pretty cool.

Anybody tips on a good after shave? (For soap, I am going to buy Taylor of Old Bond Street, Avocado, I also use avocado shampoo and I just love it)

diverted

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:31 am

Quoting sf260 (Reply 32):
Anybody tips on a good after shave? (For soap, I am going to buy Taylor of Old Bond Street, Avocado, I also use avocado shampoo and I just love it)

Just make sure you get a nice lather, really work the brush to lift the hairs, an don't use much pressure. Let the razor do the work

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:55 am

Anybody tips on a good after shave?

Truefitt and Hill do good stuff, Geo.F. Trumper is decent as well. Penhaligon's is another one, but they are very, very expensive.

Or you can just use the Proraso stuff, it works well:
http://www.mensbiz.com.au/proraso-aftershave-lotion-with-menthol.html

RussianJet
Topic Author

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:42 pm

Haha, I see how you it lasts six months. I am also using cartridges at the moment, they only last 4-5 shaves before it needs a change and I f*cking hate that overpriced stuff. I made up my mind and I am going to buy a double-edge safety razor and, sometime down the road, a straight razor. I just looks like how a real man should shave.

Well done mate, good choice. Message me if you need anything, I'm in BRU.

coolian2

Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:33 pm

Haha, I see how you it lasts six months. I am also using cartridges at the moment, they only last 4-5 shaves

First beard I've grown at age 27- finally had a girl who likes it. Admittedly I was only a once to twice a week shaver anyway.

I can't justify my time on anything but ease given even in summer it's not going to be regular.

N1120A

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:58 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 5):

That depends on how well you take care of them, but yes.

PhilBy

Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:45 pm

OK question for the DE shavers out there - Given that the longest I go without a shave is 2-3 days is there any benefit to an open comb compared to a bar?

I use a straight razor ocasionally and have just tried a cheap Feather DE razor - on first usage it left a more impressive set of blood spots than I've ever managed with my straight, but then I only use the straight on the flatter surfaces.