Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gocaps16

RE: We Will Be Hosting A Foreign Exchange Student

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:12 am

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 47):
ERDT/SHARE! High School Exchange Program

Thanks. I sent them a request for more information since the wife and I are thinking about doing this program for next year. Did you get to choose the country where they come from? We requested for a Japanese exchange student.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:31 am

Quoting gocaps16 (Reply 50):

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 47):
ERDT/SHARE! High School Exchange Program

Thanks. I sent them a request for more information since the wife and I are thinking about doing this program for next year. Did you get to choose the country where they come from? We requested for a Japanese exchange student.

They sent us about 10 stedents to pick from in varying countries. We also got on the bandwagon very late. I'm sure there woukd have been much more choice had we started looking several months ago. However, we are happy with our decision... At least for now  

Send me a PM and let me know what the program tells you. Where are you located?
Whatever

PHX787

Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:48 am

From being a foreign student abroad to knowing foreign students who came to Arizona, I have these points of advice-

1) respect their religious culture and ask them if they want to partake in your religious culture's services. Don't force them to go to church if they're not religious or of a specific denomination.

2) Take them grocery shopping frequently. Encourage them to cook their local delicacies and teach them your specialties.

3) A language phrasebook is awesome. But keep their language usage to a minimum.

4) keep her involved with her school and encourage her to meet and hang out with her friends. The more active she is, the less likely she'll be homesick.

That's what I can offer! hope u enjoy this amazing experience and hope she does too!
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:06 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 52):
From being a foreign student abroad to knowing foreign students who came to Arizona, I have these points of advice-

I appreciate the points PHX787.

1) respect their religious culture and ask them if they want to partake in your religious culture's services. Don't force them to go to church if they're not religious or of a specific denomination.

-Response: That was all addressed in our application and in the student's profile. I know that she is Christian (per her profile), which is preferable, but we let the agency know that she is welcome to practice whatever faith she would like. In addition, we will not force her to attend church with us.

2) Take them grocery shopping frequently. Encourage them to cook their local delicacies and teach them your specialties.

-Response: We do intend on taking her grocery shopping often. The wife and I already do a "big" shopping run every weekend and we usually run to the store 1 to 2 other times during the week for something. We will certainly encourage her to go with us on the weekend so that she can pick out things she would like for her upcoming week.

3) A language phrasebook is awesome. But keep their language usage to a minimum.

-Response: Thank you for that information. I had not thought about that.

4) keep her involved with her school and encourage her to meet and hang out with her friends. The more active she is, the less likely she'll be homesick.

-Response: That's the plan. She loves sports and wants to participate in volleyball and other sports, which we certainly encourage. We will find out more on how to join those things once we go in to register for classes on the 19th. We hope she makes a lot of friends and will welcome them over at our home often. In addition, when she isn't playing sports or participating in extra-curriculars, we will take her to do things around DFW (museums, etc)on weekends and hope to take a few weekend trips with her. We are going to see if she can join us in Cabo (SJD) for 4 days in November.

Thanks again for the advice PHX787.
Whatever

tommy1808

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:05 pm

Don't give her Budweiser ... she knows the real stuff.

But then again, she can't legally drink during that stay. That will be something new to her.... keep in mind she come from a country w/o a minimum age to drink alcohol.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

TheSonntag

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:15 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 53):

BTW, I am not sure whether I really have written it already, but I just wantet to say I really appreciate that you are willing to host someone from another country. This is very remarkable.

I have lived abroad for 4 years with my family and later on one year as an Erasmus student. There will be highs and lows, homesickness will happen, but good times will happen, too. Just do not expect too much and I am sure you will be fine.

Just dont let her watch Foxnews all the time   

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:21 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 55):
BTW, I am not sure whether I really have written it already, but I just wantet to say I really appreciate that you are willing to host someone from another country. This is very remarkable.

I have lived abroad for 4 years with my family and later on one year as an Erasmus student. There will be highs and lows, homesickness will happen, but good times will happen, too. Just do not expect too much and I am sure you will be fine.

Just dont let her watch Foxnews all the time   

Than you TheSonntag -- We do look at it as a form of giving back and giving a student an opportunity to see new things. I studied abroad in college and loved it.

Well, Fox News is the only news channel allowed in this household  
Whatever

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:23 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 54):
Don't give her Budweiser ... she knows the real stuff.

But then again, she can't legally drink during that stay. That will be something new to her.... keep in mind she come from a country w/o a minimum age to drink alcohol.

Best regards
Thomas

Haha -- well the good news is that per program rules, the student cannot have any alcohol, at any time, even if at home. Even though it's legal in their country, they know going into the program and have signed off on the fact that it is illegal here at that age and cannot do it.
Whatever

TheSonntag

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:29 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 57):

Haha -- well the good news is that per program rules, the student cannot have any alcohol, at any time, even if at home.

And this is actually one of the points where I want to point out a cultural difference between Americans and Europeans. Americans - according to my experience - have a very strong sense for freedom, but rules are rules. This means if there is no rule, there is freedom to do what you like, but rules MUST be followed, always, and there is no flexibility there.

At least in Germany, and also in Denmark, we tend to be a bit more "flexible" to adhere to rules, on the other hand, many more things are forbidden here which might be legal in the US.

So I would encourage that while I think you are right to enforce rules that might be in place, try to show a certain "flexibility" when she is caught breaking some rules. Make clear that it is not acceptable and cannot happen again, but do not call the exchange programme at once if she is once seen with a beer.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:18 pm

Oh we certainly won't call the exchange program for such a minor infraction. In fact, my wife and I do not mind if she were to have a couple drinks here at home and whatnot. Per the program director, The "problem" is that the exchange students talk and easily find out what each others "parents" allow, which can then cause some conflict so it's just best not to allow. If we make it through the first semester on good terms (   ), then I could certainly see myself letting her have a glass or two of wine at dinner with us, etc.
Whatever

gocaps16

Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:09 am

I emailed the Program Coordinator on the Northeast branch, apparently, she is saying it's not fair and maybe not possible for us to host a JN because my wife is not fluent in English. Still, she asked us more questions and is working with us. I'll reply to her tomorrow to straighten it out. I mean, My wife and I converse in English so I don't see what the problem is for us hosting. Also, since the schools will be back in action next month, it is a bit to late for this school year, so we will be trying to get something for the 2016-2017 school year if I don't go back to Japan in 2017.

Rara

Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:52 am

Quoting gocaps16 (Reply 60):
I emailed the Program Coordinator on the Northeast branch, apparently, she is saying it's not fair and maybe not possible for us to host a JN because my wife is not fluent in English. Still, she asked us more questions and is working with us. I'll reply to her tomorrow to straighten it out. I mean, My wife and I converse in English so I don't see what the problem is for us hosting. Also, since the schools will be back in action next month, it is a bit to late for this school year, so we will be trying to get something for the 2016-2017 school year if I don't go back to Japan in 2017.

I don't know... The idea of these exchange programme is total immersion in another culture. Having their kid stay with a Japanese host-mother is very likely not what the Japanese parents have in mind. I know back then I would have been rather disappointed to learn that I'd be staying with a half-German family. Language-learning is one thing (likely not a problem), but the other is that if someone from your own culture is present, you will never have this "wow this is so extremely different from everything I'm used to" moment. You will never be forced to adapt to your new environment, because there's always someone there who you can fall back on and who will precisely understand what you're on about, and why you find something strange or bewildering. A large and important part of the exchange student experience would be missing.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

gocaps16

Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:31 am

Isn't the program is for the exchange student to attend a local High School in a foreign country to study English and culture differences and Host Parents are there just to provide them a place to live and food? I know it can be a bit strange and I understand where you are going. Say if you were studying abroad to Japan and your host parents are American Expats. Yea, it will be a bit awkward but I do not see much of a difference if my wife speaks English and Japanese while we mainly speak in English.

L410Turbolet

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:51 am

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 54):
she come from a country w/o a minimum age to drink alcohol.

Really?

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:39 pm

Quoting gocaps16 (Reply 62):
Isn't the program is for the exchange student to attend a local High School in a foreign country to study English and culture differences and Host Parents are there just to provide them a place to live and food? I know it can be a bit strange and I understand where you are going. Say if you were studying abroad to Japan and your host parents are American Expats. Yea, it will be a bit awkward but I do not see much of a difference if my wife speaks English and Japanese while we mainly speak in English.

Given your current situation, I don't personally see any issue with hosting a student -- I still think it would be a fantastic experience for the child.

T-11 Days until our youngster arrives. Yesterday, we received a packet from the program with a some details regarding the Czech Republic -- I flipped through it last night and it was pretty interesting.

Also, last night I booked flights for all of us (student doesn't know yet) to go to Chicago over Memorial Weekend in May, which should be fun.
Whatever

gocaps16

Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:57 pm

I sent them another email with a bunch of information. They're trying to work with us for the 2016-2017 school year but it may not be possible since my contract ends in April 2017 and I may be heading back overseas in May/June 2017 and that is when the school year end here.

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 64):
I still think it would be a fantastic experience for the child.

I'm thinking the same.

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 64):
T-11 Days until our youngster arrives.

I bet you guys are anxious. It would be a wonderful experience for you and your family.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:17 pm

Quoting gocaps16 (Reply 65):
I sent them another email with a bunch of information. They're trying to work with us for the 2016-2017 school year but it may not be possible since my contract ends in April 2017 and I may be heading back overseas in May/June 2017 and that is when the school year end here.

Well shoot, I hope it works out. Would it not be possible to "extend the contract" or stay an extra month or two?
Whatever

ltbewr

Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:28 am

I would also make sure that as a 'foreign' woman let her know that many American teen men may make assumptions that she may be sexually 'easy' and that sex with someone under 18 may be statutory rape. She probably will be aware of that, and possibly more mature and responsible than many USA women as to sex. Make sure you try to encourage her to be with teens, especially females you know from the school, neighbors or from other social activities like church. Keep her away from parties with alcohol, any drugs (including pot) for her safety and keep out of jail. Ending up in trouble with the police could mean she would have to go home ASAP.

An issue may be smartphone/cell phone service. As you said you have an i-Phone and could link it with your 'family' plan. You may want to arrange to get a her a separate no-contract plan with an international call and texting package or get a international text/call package with your plan.

She will likely want to and has a budget to shop for clothes, other items that may be expensive back home like name brand jeans. Take her where prices are best, make it a 'girls day out' with the wife, a friend of your wife and maybe some new USA friends with lunch.

Try to make sure she eats healthy, try to find out favorite or preferred foods or has any special needs.

Make sure she has a health insurance policy - it is probably mandatory with such programs.

Definitely make sure as others suggested and you seem to be planning for, for here to see something of America especially a major city, national parks, cultural events (like a concert of a big international pop star), maybe a NHL hockey game. There are a number of good NHL players from her homeland and she may like to see and cheer for them.

Also try to learn some common words and phrases in Czech or get her to teach her some to you. It would be a good idea to go to your local library to get some books or recordings or downloads to learn some of her language.

[Edited 2015-08-08 17:41:35]

L410Turbolet

Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:10 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 67):
Also try to learn some common words and phrases in Czech or get her to teach her some to you

I don't want to sound rude, but what good do you think it will achieve? She is there to learn English, not to teach FriscoHeavy Czech. Important part of the learning process is getting your message accross even if you lack the proper vocabulary. The less she will use her native language the faster her progress will be. Besides, Czech is so freaking complicated it's not worth the effort anyway.

Make sure she has a health insurance policy

Irrelevant. Insurance is what makes the exchange program so bloody expensive.

[Edited 2015-08-08 18:16:49]

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:53 pm

I would also make sure that as a 'foreign' woman let her know that many American teen men may make assumptions that she may be sexually 'easy' and that sex with someone under 18 may be statutory rape. She probably will be aware of that, and possibly more mature and responsible than many USA women as to sex. Make sure you try to encourage her to be with teens, especially females you know from the school, neighbors or from other social activities like church. Keep her away from parties with alcohol, any drugs (including pot) for her safety and keep out of jail. Ending up in trouble with the police could mean she would have to go home ASAP.

We will keep her very active in activities and sports she wants to participate in. No drugs, even weed in this household. Neither me or my wife would put up with that crap.

An issue may be smartphone/cell phone service. As you said you have an i-Phone and could link it with your 'family' plan. You may want to arrange to get a her a separate no-contract plan with an international call and texting package or get a international text/call package with your plan.

Our contract with AT&T is no contract, just straight up additional $15/mo per line for unlimited voice, text, etc. I can cancel it as soon as she leaves. Also, she is bringing her "international" phone from home. I'm not sure how that works, but we will encourage her to skype/facetime from home as often as she wants using our home internet. If she wants to text with her friends overseas who do not have iMessage, she will need to just use Facebook or the like as I am not going to pay for an international phone/text plan.

Make sure she has a health insurance policy - it is probably mandatory with such programs.

Yep, she comes with papers  . Health and Dental Insurance are mandatory.

Also try to learn some common words and phrases in Czech or get her to teach her some to you. It would be a good idea to go to your local library to get some books or recordings or downloads to learn some of her language.

Jak se mas?  

That is the extent to which my Czech will expand  
Whatever

TrojanSC

Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:58 pm

Keep her away from parties with alcohol, any drugs (including pot) for her safety and keep out of jail. Ending up in trouble with the police could mean she would have to go home ASAP.

Even though the program forbids her from drinking, and she has "agreed" to this, I wouldn't expect an 18 year old, especially coming from Europe, to completely abstain. If she really wants the American high school experience, it may even be "healthy" for her to go to a party or two and have a few drinks. I'm not saying this should be encouraged or discouraged, I'm just saying she may be very tempted.

However, I would definitely make sure she understands the local law and the extent to which it is enforced. Unlike in Europe, a police officer probably WILL write her up for underage drinking (if she's caught). Also, I don't know the law in TX, but in CA, you cannot have an open container of any alcoholic beverage in public. This is very different from other countries where (either because it's not illegal, or just not enforced) you can take a beer with you on your way to the club, or to the park to drink with your friends or something. As Itbewr was saying, make it clear that a since she will be in the US on a visa, getting caught breaking the law can get her visa revoked and could complicate future travel/immigration to the US. I'd say this not to scare the poor girl, but to gently make her aware of the differences in laws and enforcement, so that if she does end up drinking, she is careful about it. I'm friends with many international/European students at my university, and these were things that weren't necessarily obvious to them at first...

Better to be safe than sorry!

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:20 pm

Thanks TrojanSC. Points taken.
Whatever

ltbewr

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:20 am

Another thing I might add is with her to visit some colleges in your area or state. As note location as DFW in your profile, I suspect you are in that area, I am quite sure you could visit UT in Austin and a well known private college in your region. Also great souvenirs (i.e. t-shirt/sweatshirt from such schools).

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:32 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 72):
Another thing I might add is with her to visit some colleges in your area or state. As note location as DFW in your profile, I suspect you are in that area, I am quite sure you could visit UT in Austin and a well known private college in your region. Also great souvenirs (i.e. t-shirt/sweatshirt from such schools).

We would be happy to take her to look at a few colleges if she thinks she may want to go here in the USA... UT Austin happens to be where I went, so I'd highly encourage that  .

And yes, there are some local universities in the DFW area that we can certainly take her to.
Whatever

ArmitageShanks

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:52 am

I know she's 18 but if she weren't I was just wondering what are the legal consequences for you if something happens to her, to you, or to someone else because of her while you are hosting? Are you considered her "parents" legally while she is living with you? Do you have authority to make medical decisions or to handle any sort of legal issue?

[Edited 2015-08-10 17:53:40]

N1120A

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:55 am

A piece of advice - If you are religious, don't proselytize to her.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

MD11Engineer

Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:17 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 75):

I agree. Here in Europe we tend to keep religion a strictly personal matter. Nobody will blame or attack you for being religious, but showing off with it or trying to missionate others is considered bad form.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:04 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 75):

Luckily, we selected a kid that shares our religious beliefs.
Whatever

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:05 pm

We got a packet in the mail yesterday with her Health Insurance -- One less thing to worry about now  

T-6 days. She will be here before we know it.
Whatever

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:29 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 78):
T-6 days. She will be here before we know it.

Good luck.

When I went to high school (gymnasium), we had a female Australian exchange (collage I think) student in
our class from after the Christmas/new year break in grade 2 an to the beginning of January in grade 3.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

zckls04

Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:24 pm

What an awesome thing to do! I commend you.

Two points, both from experience of hosting foreign students:

Whatever you do, don't talk politics, aside from in a very general way, at least to start with. 18 year olds tend to have extremely strong political opinions backed up by zero actual knowledge or experience. That can only end up leading to conflict. Try not to make value judgments where possible, and keep everything light and superficial until you have the measure of her.

And keep in mind that there probably will be things about America that she dislikes, and she'll probably tell you about them without necessarily considering that she might be insulting her hosts. Keep in mind patriotism is not quite so fervent in Europe, and don't take offence.

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 77):

Even so, keep this off the table as well. Religion is a private matter to most in Europe.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Adipasquale

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:48 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 80):
18 year olds tend to have extremely strong political opinions backed up by zero actual knowledge or experience.

That's a pretty broad generalization. In truth, some young people have opinions based on facts and reasoning, and some do not. The same applies for people of any age. I know many people much older than myself on both sides of the aisle that base their political opinions only on things they heard watching Fox News and MSNBC. With that said, I still second this:

Whatever you do, don't talk politics, aside from in a very general way, at least to start with

IMHO, it is not good practice to talk politics with people of any age whom you are just getting to know.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 318 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77L 77W

N1120A

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:52 pm

Even so, keep this off the table as well. Religion is a private matter to most in Europe.

Exactly. And it sounds like you might be already inclined to do so.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

tommy1808

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:06 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 63):
Really?

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand your law, there are, like in Germany, only limits on selling and providIng of alcohol, but it puts no limit on drinking itself.

Best regards
Thomas

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:38 pm

Quoting adipasquale (Reply 81):
That's a pretty broad generalization. In truth, some young people have opinions based on facts and reasoning, and some do not. The same applies for people of any age. I know many people much older than myself on both sides of the aisle that base their political opinions only on things they heard watching Fox News and MSNBC. With that said, I still second this:
Quoting N1120A (Reply 82):

Exactly. And it sounds like you might be already inclined to do so.

Folks, folks.... We aren't going to serenade her as she's walking off the plane with phrases from the Bible and talk about God. We have a little more sense than that. With that said, we certainly aren't going to refrain from talking about these topics if they do come up. We are a very proud American, Christian and Conservative household -- we don't have to put that in the closet for 10 months and we won't. She is coming here to learn about our country and our family. We already let it be known in our application what we are and that while welcome, she won't be forced to attend any church services with us if she doesn't want.....that will be the student's decision.

We certainly welcome any advice....let's keep it away from Religion and politics though --- we do have that covered in our household.  
Whatever

tommy1808

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:58 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 84):
We certainly welcome any advice....let's keep it away from Religion and politics though --- we do have that covered in our household.  

plus talking about religion and politics with someone doesn't have to be mission, and especially with foreigners it can be very interesting in any case, no matter how much agreement there is or isn't. ....

Best regards
Thomas

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 85):
plus talking about religion and politics with someone doesn't have to be mission, and especially with foreigners it can be very interesting in any case, no matter how much agreement there is or isn't. ....

Best regards
Thomas

Whatever

WildcatYXU

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:21 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 83):
Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand your law, there are, like in Germany, only limits on selling and providIng of alcohol, but it puts no limit on drinking itself.

I don't think persons under LDA are allowed to consume alcoholic beverages at public places (restaurants, bars) in Czech republic.
223, 310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77E, 77L, 77W, 788, 789, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E70, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:25 pm

Well....just over 24 hours to go until we pick up our student at DFW. These three weeks have flown by. Wish us luck  
Whatever

Aesma

Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:43 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 43):
Why is that, btw? This sounds a bit odd given the fact that if there is one thing the US is famous for, it is the fact that in some states its common to drive a car very early.

Probably because if the student is in a severe accident (or worse, is the cause of it), then it becomes a nightmare in terms of insurance. In fact it's probably the insurances that ban this.

Same for alcohol, when my sister spent summers in the US in families (in Nebraska one year and Oregon the next), alcohol was banned for legal reasons, but they also told her that if she had a health problem linked with alcohol (fell while drunk and broke a leg, for example), then the health insurance wouldn't cover it.

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 43):
Yes and no. I did Erasmus and enjoyed it so much in 2004-2005, but visiting the US as an au pair, far far away from your parents, is probably something else. I would recommend both. In my Erasmus class, two czech mates I got to know are married today, btw. Someone claims this happens once in a while during Erasmus, I dont know, I was there only for classes and never had alcohol...

There are more than 1 million Erasmus children.

Quoting AM744 (Reply 45):
It caught my attention as well as you can expect to see topless women on pretty much any French movie or TV program other than news. Not a bad thing at all.  

Oh you can also see it in the news, if they're showing a beach they won't hide boobies.

Actually US Christianity and European Christianity are quite different. For example the emphasis on abortion, chastity, fire and brimstone, etc., doesn't exist here. As a Catholic going to a Catholic event in Toronto (World Youth Day 2002) it was quite the shock to me, and in fact it's what made me leave religion behind entirely.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Beardown91737

Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:26 am

Good luck with tomorrow. Weather should cooperate with on time flights. She may have had some pre-conditioning to the heat since my co-workers in Prague have been complaining about the unusual heat (95F). Make sure to tell her that the weather isn't usually like this. I have heard that every week since I moved here.

I hope your guest learns a lot and finds out how silly most of the stereotypes in this thread are.

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 26):
Frisco, which is a Dallas suburb. Between Dallas and Fort Worth

not sure about that

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 27):
We also intend on taking her on a couple of weekend/long weekend trips over the coming year -- such as Chicago, San Diego, Boston, etc.

Excellent places, all of them.

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 36):
She will probably ask something like "How can you live in wooden barns and call them houses"

Structures in this area are predominantly brick. Same for Tucson and in the City of Chicago. Most of Southern California is stucco with tile roofs.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 89):
Actually US Christianity and European Christianity are quite different. For example the emphasis on abortion, chastity, fire and brimstone, etc., doesn't exist here. As a Catholic going to a Catholic event in Toronto (World Youth Day 2002) it was quite the shock to me, and in fact it's what made me leave religion behind entirely.

Christianity is different between denominations as well. I am a different denomination and we are not consumed by the things you have named. Also, Toronto is technically not part of the USA.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:32 am

Quoting Beardown91737 (Reply 90):
Frisco, which is a Dallas suburb. Between Dallas and Fort Worth

not sure about that

There is a period between suburb and Dallas -- they are two independent sentences and you left off the rest after Fort Worth  

I'm very good at geography and aware Frisco isn't between Dallas and Ft Worth --- Read the paragraph again  

Cheers

[Edited 2015-08-17 04:32:35]
Whatever

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:33 am

I'm tracking her flight (KL 669) and everything is on time. We received an email overnight that she made it on her flights without issue. 7 Hours to go....
Whatever

Aesma

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:41 pm

Also, Toronto is technically not part of the USA.

Thanks, I'm well aware, however there were tons of Americans there, giving (not selling) books about chastity, editing daily newspapers entirely about the sin of abortion, etc.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

WildcatYXU

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Structures in this area are predominantly brick. Same for Tucson and in the City of Chicago. Most of Southern California is stucco with tile roofs.

Are they real brick - meaning brick load bearing structure with concrete floors or fake brick (framed structure with brick veneer) just as around here?
223, 310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77E, 77L, 77W, 788, 789, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E70, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

Beardown91737

Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:14 am

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 91):
you left off the rest after Fort Worth

got it

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 94):
Are they real brick - meaning brick load bearing structure with concrete floors or fake brick (framed structure with brick veneer) just as around here?

I have lived in several kinds of brick or veneer structures. The only kind with concrete floors was a 5 story apartment building. The point is, none of them look like wooden barns.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

PHX787

Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:45 am

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 53):
Thanks again for the advice PHX787.

Glad I can help!

Also, do you have pets? I might have missed this. Make sure she is okay with handling pets.

JJJ

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:28 am

Quoting Beardown91737 (Reply 95):
The point is, none of them look like wooden barns.

It's not about looks.

The typical house in the US sags, sounds and feels like a temporary structure. Especially upstairs.

It takes a while to get used to when you've always lived in a concrete and brick building.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:18 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 96):
Also, do you have pets? I might have missed this. Make sure she is okay with handling pets.

Yes, we have 1 dog that is about 25 lbs. She also has a dog back home that is about the same size and she mentioned how she loves taking her dog for walks -- score  

So we knew picking her that she liked dogs/animals.
Whatever

PHX787

Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:00 am

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 98):
Yes, we have 1 dog that is about 25 lbs. She also has a dog back home that is about the same size and she mentioned how she loves taking her dog for walks -- score

Awesome! Then I am sure she will be great for your family