Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

We Will Be Hosting A Foreign Exchange Student

Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:59 pm

A little background info:

Last Wednesday, I was surfing the web for local volunteer opportunities and I happened to come across a link for hosting high school exchange students. I asked my wife if she would like to give back to the community in this way and she happily obliged. Due to all the red tape involved with things like this, we thought we would host a child for the spring semester (Jan-June 2016), which would allow us a few months to prepare for their arrival.

Low and behold, here we are 6 days later and and after a lot of back and forth with the exchange program, choosing a student, getting the school situation worked out and having a "home inspection" by the coordinator, it turns out we will be hosting an 18 year old from Czech Republic for an entire school year (10 months) and she starts school here on August 24th. Things progressed very quickly and several hurdles had to be overcome. We were not expecting it to happen so soon and the program to last a whole year, but we are very excited for this challenge and to be able to give back in this way.

We do not have children (only 1 dog) so this will definitely be a shock to our system and I'm sure it will be difficult at times, but we are ready to give a student a great opportunity for their future and experiences she will never forget.

If all goes according to plan --- we should be able to contact the student via email, skype, etc at the end of the week or early next week. Exciting times in our household  
Whatever

einsteinboricua

RE: We Will Be Hosting A Foreign Exchange Student

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:12 pm

That must be a great experience, both for the student who gets to explore a new country, and for you who get to learn more about her culture. Maybe you can get her into aviation  
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

TheSonntag

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:15 pm

And maybe she is good looking too :P.

Tugger

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:17 pm

Be prepared! Remember you are hosting an individual that is nearly an adult and is not used to you or your house rules and has expectations, concerns, and desires of their own. You will have to be able to communicate effectively and compromise somewhat to make things work (you can be an absolutist, it is your home, but that generally leads to a more difficult time).

I have had friends that have hosted and seen both good and bad experiences (like the one where the exchange student did not have the same ideas on nudity in the home as the hosts..... yeah really. That hosting ended after two weeks). I have seen friends that insisted on tight controls over everything and ones that managed things differently and basically sat down and negotiated a compact with the student. And each has had success and failures. The good thing is that you can simple call the company and cancel if things are not working out and have the student removed. But I think overall most of the students were decent people, just with different values or perceptions.

So I am not trying to scare you, just prepare you. Be open, be fair, be firm and you should be OK. But also be aware that, to echo Forrest Gump: You just never know what you are going to get.

Good luck with it and enjoy.  

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Aesma

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:32 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 3):
(like the one where the exchange student did not have the same ideas on nudity in the home as the hosts..... yeah really. That hosting ended after two weeks)

Eastern European : that possibility definitively exists !

How does it work, are you compensated, and by whom ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:57 pm

Aesma: We are not compensated, but the only thing we technically need to provide are 3 meals a day and transportation as needed. The only "compensation" we get is a $50/month tax deduction. We are doing this as charity and an opportunity to give back to the community (she can provide perspectives, etc at school). This will be a great thing for student, as well as us. She can take away things from this experience that will last a lifetime and maybe even help in her career when she goes home.

I will certainly try to talk her into having a passion for aviation  .

We have a lot of profile information about her, but there isn't a picture of her directly (exchange program rules). The program wants you to select based on the qualities and not the looks. I do know she is 5'10" (178 cm) and likes sports, especially Volleyball. She and her team have gone to Nationals twice for volleyball so far. The profile provides pictures of family members, their animals if they have any, their home, etc.

Tugger: it will certainly present some challenges given her age, different customs, language "barriers", etc. We met the local program coordinator on Sunday at our home and we discussed setting some boundaries and rules when she gets here. I'm personally a little more lenient than the program director (she's hosted many kids), but it will be a learning experience for all of us. I'm personally more in the camp of -- "as long as you get your homework/studies done on time, always be honest with me about where you are going and help around the house, I will be less stringent with the rules".

The "good" news is that the students know some of the program rules going into the experience and have signed off on them (no alcohol even though it's legal in their country, no driving, they are aware of potential curfews and helping around the house, etc). Nevertheless, there will still be difficult times, but I think it will be a very rewarding experience overall and looking forward to it.
Whatever

Tugger

Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:08 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 2):

As a happily married man, that would concern me. Not that I am going to cheat on my wife, but the issues it can bring are not something I would "volunteer" for. Jealously or whatever, not to mention boyfriends etc? Not for me. In fact that would be a requirement for me: none of that.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 4):
How does it work, are you compensated, and by whom ?

It varies widely, some exchange groups or services do compensate and some are strictly volunteer (thought the direct student costs, other than food and housing, may be reimbursed). You really have to vet the agency and make sure they are a good operation. I would say the better ones do not compensate you, instead investing their monies into a good vetting process and being well run/managed (doesn't there aren't some good ones that do pay you).

One thing for sure is that they have and good screening process with solid standards for accepting and placing exchange students as well as the capability and funding to manage a problem if one arises. Again the goal is no problems will occur but they should always be ready for one. If they aren't then it is not a well run agency and not one I would sign up for.

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 5):
Nevertheless, there will still be difficult times, but I think it will be a very rewarding experience overall and looking forward to it.

Sounds like you have the right outlook and expectations and that is great! I definitely think a student that has specific interests or hobbies they enjoy, and understand they are here to live and experience things here, etc. makes the whole thing work better. I look forward to a future thread on your experience (I wonder if she has any friends that read A.net....   ) Enjoy!

Tugg

[Edited 2015-07-28 08:34:58]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

BestWestern

Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:28 pm

My parents hosted foreign exchange students when I was in school. We did a full exchange where I then spent the same amount of time with their family in Spain and did it for five summers.

It was a wonderful experience - means I'm fluent in Spanish and had great life experiences and made friends for life.

Treat the child as you would a relative - and all will be OK. As she is a guest in your home, you should set rules early on.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:33 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 6):
One thing for sure is that they have and good screening process with solid standards for accepting and placing exchange students as well as the capability and funding to manage a problem if one arises. Again the goal is no problems will occur but they should always be ready for one.

Yes, we did ask about background checks, how the students are chosen, etc. They do appear to have a good background check and interview process. From my understanding, most/all of these students are high achievers and most are near the top of their class, as well as demonstrate significant maturity. Now I know it's not a full proof, but typically they aren't just sending any kid over here. They do go through several processes over there before being allowed to join the program, plus their parents are putting up somewhere between $12,000-15,000 for this program.

As you noted, if something terrible happens and we just can't mesh well with the student, we can contact the agency and they will replace the child or send them home. There is also a 24 hour number for us to call with emergencies that arise at home.

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 7):
Treat the child as you would a relative - and all will be OK. As she is a guest in your home, you should set rules early on.

We will indeed have some "House Rules" to follow -- my wife started making a small list of them already. We aren't overly strict and as long as the student has/shows common courtesy, we will be just fine. e.g. Clean up after yourself, complete homework and assignments, tell us where you are going and with whom, help clean up a little (we are talking no more than an hour or so of chores a week), don't hide in your room 24/7, etc.
Whatever

visualapproach

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:55 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 8):
We will indeed have some "House Rules" to follow -- my wife started making a small list of them already. We aren't overly strict and as long as the student has/shows common courtesy, we will be just fine. e.g. Clean up after yourself, complete homework and assignments, tell us where you are going and with whom, help clean up a little (we are talking no more than an hour or so of chores a week), don't hide in your room 24/7, etc.

Never overestimate the female teenager!  

Adipasquale

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:53 pm

Is that comment really necessary?   
Anyways, my boss (who also happens to be my best friends's father) has hosted a few exchange students. The first one had some issues with doing chores and abiding by the ground rules and was relocated without incident. AFAIK the others have been no problem, the fact that they keep on hosting is indicative that the experiences have been largely positive. I graduated high school just over two years ago and during my time there, one thing I realized about many of the exchange students was that they came from well-to-do families. This was usually not a problem, but a couple people I knew told me that the exchange students they hosted did not take kindly to doing such chores as taking out the garbage because growing up wealthy, they had never done such chores and felt it was beneath them. However that was a minority and I don't mean to scare you FriscoHeavy; I'd wager everything will work out just fine and it will be a good experience for you and the exchange student.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 318 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77L 77W

Kiwirob

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Thread starter):
We do not have children (only 1 dog) so this will definitely be a shock to our system and I'm sure it will be difficult at times, but we are ready to give a student a great opportunity for their future and experiences she will never forget.

Here's hoping she's not a hottie, that would end up as trouble.

Considering the statement below

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 5):
I do know she is 5'10" (178 cm) and likes sports, especially Volleyball.

Most girls who play volleyball tend to be tall, fit and hot. Since she's also Czech hotness is probably a given.

TheSonntag

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Quoting adipasquale (Reply 10):
Is that comment really necessary?

It wasn't meant to be an offense, rather a disguised warning. You get a young lady in your house who wants to see another country. Her focus probably is not so much about the kids, but rather adventure, fun and seeing something new.

Where are you living, btw? What can young people do at your hometown when they have spare time?

andrej

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:35 am

Hey FriscoHeavy,

I am not sure what you know about the student, but I presume that she is not a slacker (you should ask for her CV, grades, etc.). I would suggest to talk to her openly and tell her what is acceptable and what is not (house rules, school rules). Smoking (maybe it's me, but I think teens in the Central Europe tend to smoke more, than teens in the US; well at least when I lived there) and alcohol rules might be different (drinking age is 18 for most of alcohol in the Czech Republic). Due to her athletics, I guess that she does not smoke or drink (heavily   ).

I would suggest to show her around and keep her busy. Advise her of all the possibilities in High School (especially extra curricular activities). I know that this is huge benefit compared to schools in the Czech Republic. If she plays volleyball, I am certain she will join the school team. But there are many clubs and other things (like theater, music).

Take her on trips (are you in SFO?) and show her what the area you live has to offer (parks, scenery, culture, etc.). I would suggest to try to meet as many friend as possible. One of the problems is that Americans are really nice bunch of people in the U.S., but abroad possibility to meet them is limited (and employees of the U.S. Embassy are usually weary and not that much friendly).

Some people think that people from the Central and Eastern Europe have never seen TV, refrigerator, and flushing toilette. Yes, that happened to me and my friends on several occasions. Please do not make that mistake.   We do know of internet and love Apple products** just as much as any other American.  

In the last days (if the stay was great), I would take her shopping (electronics, clothing; obviously she will have to pay for it, but these items are much cheaper in the U.S., than in the Czech Republic).

Finally, get rid of all the misconception from the American Pie and other movies (like Eurotrip). Not all girls from CEE are gorgeous nymphos, with a huge sexy-appeal, ready to hump anything that moves.  

If you treat her well and with respect, you will find a long lasting friendship and an invitation to the Czech Republic (not that you should expect it/wait for it). I know several people that were exchange students and keep up with their 'foster-parents' till this day.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 4):
Eastern European : that possibility definitively exists !

Just a correction, she is Central European, not Eastern European. I also find it ironic, a comment about nakedness coming from our French friend.     

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 11):
Since she's also Czech hotness is probably a given.

Having lived in the Czech Republic and now in Slovakia, I am just too picky/spoiled and not every girl is default hot.   

** Insert any company.

JJJ

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:10 am

Exciting times in our household

It's a great experience.

This is the second year we are hosting a foreign student, though only a summer 2-month language course.

Last year we had a 16-year old Texan, and this year it's a 15-year old French. It gives our kid a chance to polish his own language skills.

The Texan boy had a bit of a food shock, but in the end we managed to work a compromise and had great fun together. The French girl is so lovely we're driving her home at the end of the course ourselves and will stay with her family for 4-5 days.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:20 am

it turns out we will be hosting an 18 year old from Czech Republic for an entire school year
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

MD11Engineer

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:35 am

One warning:

I knew a young Spanish woman in the same age class, who was working as an au pair for a German family in Berlin. In the end the wife got extremely jealous of having a young woman in the house and she had to move out to have some peace. The girl herself had absolutely no interest at all in the middle aged husband (even though he seemed to have given it a try), but the wife hated her for it.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Aesma

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:40 am

Quoting andrej (Reply 13):
Just a correction, she is Central European, not Eastern European. I also find it ironic, a comment about nakedness coming from our French friend.     

We have plenty of nude beaches and women will bare their tits on any beach, but otherwise naturism isn't that common a lifestyle. I'd say many foreigners come to the nude beaches.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Kiwirob

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:58 am

Having lived in the Czech Republic and now in Slovakia, I am just too picky/spoiled and not every girl is default hot.

Hotter than the average scrubber in the US is a given.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 17):
We have plenty of nude beaches and women will bare their tits on any beach, but otherwise naturism isn't that common a lifestyle. I'd say many foreigners come to the nude beaches.

Dammed if I know what happened to the fabled Scandinavian attitude to nudity, in 9 years I've not seen a single topless female on a beach in Norway, Denmark or Sweden.

TheSonntag

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:30 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 18):

Dammed if I know what happened to the fabled Scandinavian attitude to nudity, in 9 years I've not seen a single topless female on a beach in Norway, Denmark or Sweden.

Its easy, you need to fly to Kos where the scandinavians are for their holidays .

Back on topic, I think it is important that you find a kind of a balance between your expectations for her housekeeping and her freedom to do what she likes to do. It is important not to see an au pair as a cheap labour person only, so it is a good thing to show her around.

Rara

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:53 am

Great decision, FriscoHeavy.   I went to the US for a year as a high school student and it was a fantastic experience. Back then obviously I was just an awkward teenager just like the rest of them, and I didn't express my gratitude as much as I should have, but the older I get the more I realize what an amazingly selfless act it is to host someone for an extended period of time. I really had a great time back then (even though I was placed in the most rural and backwards place you could imagine), and it's the gift that keeps on giving as it stays with you for decades to come.

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 8):
Yes, we did ask about background checks, how the students are chosen, etc. They do appear to have a good background check and interview process. From my understanding, most/all of these students are high achievers and most are near the top of their class, as well as demonstrate significant maturity. Now I know it's not a full proof, but typically they aren't just sending any kid over here. They do go through several processes over there before being allowed to join the program, plus their parents are putting up somewhere between $12,000-15,000 for this program.

If it's anything like my experience, this is all talk and no walk. These organizations like to present themselves as super careful and meticulous, but in the end they're profit-driven, and the less attention they give to details, the more money they will make. I don't they'll really reject anyone's 15,000 bucks unless it's extremely obvious they're not fit to go abroad.

Still I wouldn't worry about it. The fact alone that she's willing to leave home for almost a year, and the fact that her family is willing to support it, means that her background is very likely to be totally fine.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 11):
Since she's also Czech hotness is probably a given.

That's really just a silly clichee. It stems from the fact that Czechs are at the same time relatively poor and conform to Western European / North American beauty standards (blond, blue eyes etc.). That makes Czech women an ideal target for sexual exploitation e.g. in pornography or as prostitutes. In reality, of course, they aren't any less or more "hot" than any other nationality. They're simply more readily available due to economic hardship.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

L410Turbolet

Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:43 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 6):
One thing for sure is that they have and good screening process with solid standards for accepting and placing exchange students

Things must have improved significantly because the screening process of hosting families seemed to be nominal at best if any at all when I had been an exchange student in the early 1990s. It gave me a lot, it was an excellent accelerator in language proficiency (there was no internet, skype or anything that prevents you to effectively cut yourself iff from your native language nowadays) and was lucky to be placed with a decent family.

Neverheless, 20 years later, would I send my own kid on a such "blind" exchange, knowing what sort of families are also in the program, from religious freaks who use it as an opportunity to "hunt for souls", to people looking for a cheap labor force at 3 meals a day, to perverts and alcohloics in dysfunctional familiies hoping for a score with a young chick?
Probably not.
I would make sure he/she goes on an Erasmus instead. Much better ROI.

Quoting Rara (Reply 20):
hey're simply more readily available due to economic hardship.

Speaking of clichées...  
and alcohol rules might be different (drinking age is 18 for most of alcohol in the Czech Republic

I have never seen so many senseless binge drinking sessions (followed by a DUI driving) after my year in the US attending a rural high school.

Kiwirob

Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:50 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 19):
Its easy, you need to fly to Kos where the scandinavians are for their holidays .

No sadly Scandinavians no longer go topless, either at home or away.

Quoting Rara (Reply 20):

That's really just a silly clichee. It stems from the fact that Czechs are at the same time relatively poor and conform to Western European / North American beauty standards (blond, blue eyes etc.). That makes Czech women an ideal target for sexual exploitation e.g. in pornography or as prostitutes. In reality, of course, they aren't any less or more "hot" than any other nationality. They're simply more readily available due to economic hardship.

Not really, I've been to Czech Republic, the women there are slimmer, look fitter and are generally hotter than the fatties which prevail in the US.

JJJ

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:06 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 22):
No sadly Scandinavians no longer go topless, either at home or away.

Go to Alfas del Pi, plenty of Scandinavian tits for everyone to see.

The ultimate nudie nation is Germany, though.

andrej

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:17 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 21):
I have never seen so many senseless binge drinking sessions (followed by a DUI driving) after my year in the US attending a rural high school.

I would say that binge drinking in college/universities (spring breaks are quite infamous for that) is completely different level. But than again, I did not attend a rural HS.

Adipasquale

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 12):
Where are you living, btw? What can young people do at your hometown when they have spare time?

I live near Buffalo, NY. There are many things to do in one's spare time and it really depends on personal preference and time of year. Here's a list of what I did in high school (and still do now when I'm in town): Sabres NHL games and Bills NFL games in the fall and winter. In the summer there are free concerts downtown, great beaches a short drive away, numerous parks with great hiking and mountain bike trails. There are ski slopes 40 minutes from downtown and 5 minutes from where I live. Personally, I enjoy hunting and fishing as well. There are of course drinking parties, but during high school, I played violin in multiple orchestras and played varsity hockey so my free time was pretty filled up with practices, games, rehearsals and concert performances.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 318 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77L 77W

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:46 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 12):

We live in Frisco, which is a Dallas suburb. Between Dallas and Fort Worth, I'm sure there will be plenty to do -- museums, sporting events, lots of dinners out, etc.

I would suggest to show her around and keep her busy. Advise her of all the possibilities in High School (especially extra curricular activities). I know that this is huge benefit compared to schools in the Czech Republic. If she plays volleyball, I am certain she will join the school team. But there are many clubs and other things (like theater, music).

We will certainly encourage her to stay busy in school with sports and extra-curricular activities.

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 15):

Haha  
Whatever

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:52 pm

We also intend on taking her on a couple of weekend/long weekend trips over the coming year -- such as Chicago, San Diego, Boston, etc. The city will depend on costs, flights, etc when we are looking to go. My wife and I already have a trip to San Diego planned at the end of January so we are hoping to take her along with us for that one.
Whatever

L410Turbolet

Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:02 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 26):
Frisco, which is a Dallas suburb. Between Dallas and Fort Worth, I'm sure there will be plenty to do -- museums, sporting events, lots of dinners out, etc.

How does she get around on her own, without a car? For me that was the biggest downside and cultural shock* of the first semester or so, especially when the fall sports season ended, one did not have real friends yet and was totally dependent on other people to give him a lift.

*nonexistent public transport

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:03 pm

Some people think that people from the Central and Eastern Europe have never seen TV, refrigerator, and flushing toilette. Yes, that happened to me and my friends on several occasions. Please do not make that mistake.   We do know of internet and love Apple products** just as much as any other American.

Do y'all think that living here (with TV, Refrigerator, Flushing Toilets, etc) will be that big of a shock to her? If so, how do we approach this?

Also, do you think she will be coming with her own computer/laptop?
Whatever

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:07 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 28):
How does she get around on her own, without a car? For me that was the biggest downside and cultural shock* of the first semester or so, especially when the fall sports season ended, one did not have real friends yet and was totally dependent on other people to give him a lift.

She will have to depend on us and friends/friends parents to drive her around. Per their exchange rules, no driving is allowed..period. I asked the program manager about this issue. I was going to set her up to be insured and driver our car around a little (grocery store, gym and other nearby places) as she got comfortable, but the program manager said that is an absolute "No". And the students know this going into the program.

The "good" news is that her high school is right outside our neighborhood and both me and my wife work from home full-time and are off by 4-4:30 most days, so I think we are about as well equipped to handle the situation as we can be.
Whatever

JJJ

Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:12 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 29):

Nowadays it's almost guaranteed she will.

Either a laptop or some kind of tablet.

andrej

Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:29 pm

Do y'all think that living here (with TV, Refrigerator, Flushing Toilets, etc) will be that big of a shock to her? If so, how do we approach this?

Fridge is used to cool down (no A/C here - wait, what's an A/C??), people drink from the toilette, whilst scream and run away from the TV.  

You may find it as a laughing matter, but it certainly was not funny to me at that time. Rather shocking....

Most certainly, she will come with a smartphone as well. I would suggest also let her choose a plan (to stay in contact with you guys). And get unlimited Internet at home, as she will Skype/FB/snapchat and whatever else young people do to stay in touch.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:34 pm

Quoting andrej (Reply 32):
Fridge is used to cool down (no A/C here - wait, what's an A/C??), people drink from the toilette, whilst scream and run away from the TV.  

You may find it as a laughing matter, but it certainly was not funny to me at that time. Rather shocking....

I'm not laughing at all, just trying to find out if this could actually happen or not and if so -- what the student's reaction might be and how to handle it.

Quoting andrej (Reply 32):
Most certainly, she will come with a smartphone as well. I would suggest also let her choose a plan (to stay in contact with you guys). And get unlimited Internet at home, as she will Skype/FB/snapchat and whatever else young people do to stay in touch.

We do have unlimited internet. If she doesn't come with a phone that can be used here, we have an iPhone 5c we can have added to our plan for very little, which has unlimited talk and text. She can then skype her parents and whatnot while she is here at home.
Whatever

andrej

Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:43 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 33):
I'm not laughing at all, just trying to find out if this could actually happen or not and if so -- what the student's reaction might be and how to handle it.

Don't worry, she be fine. People in the Czech Republic and Slovakia have quite used to all comforts you find in any place in the U.S.

This happened to me (and my friends) when we were exchange students in the U.K. and while I met a few people in the U.S.  

L410Turbolet

Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:56 pm

Most likely not. We usually use small blackboard and chalk (+ abacus to do the math) all the way through high school. Those lucky enough to make it to college then upgrade to pencil & paper and sometimes - the luckiest ones - to a calculator.

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 30):
And the students know this going into the program.

I am not disputing that. What they do not know is that without a car one is relegated to a 2nd rate citizen status. Here, if you don't have a car, even the biggest sleepy hollow has a reasonably frequent bus or train connection with civilization or both. Which offers you alternatives. In a couple of decades, once we get used to using fridge, tv and flushing toilet it will be a quite comfy life.

If so, how do we approach this?

Hire a coach?
Day one: how to use a remote, elevator and microwawe
Day two : the trickyness of a flushing toilet and running water
Day three: the miracle called refrigerator
Day four: to return the courtesy she can teach you how to use a flintstone, milk a cow and cook on an open fireplace

WildcatYXU

Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:45 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 33):

She will probably ask something like "How can you live in wooden barns and call them houses" :P

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 35):
Day one: how to use a remote, elevator and microwawe
Day two : the trickyness of a flushing toilet and running water

You're joking, but even after 14 years of living in Canada I dislike the microwave oven control panels here as unnecessarily convoluted and I hate the regular toilets with the rubber flapper. Same goes for the faucets with separate cold/warm controls.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

L410Turbolet

Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 36):
You're joking

I wish I was. See reply #29.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 37):
You're joking

I wish I was. See reply #29.

....and I was referencing post #13. Now I realize it was all a big joke. No big deal. I don't know what she will and will not be used to.
Whatever

WildcatYXU

Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:20 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 38):
I don't know what she will and will not be used to.

She'll be used to all amenities you have in house - perhaps except the air conditioner being set to 70 degrees.
You'll have to show her how to control the particular appliances though, as the controls on them may be quite different compared to the European models. Especially the washer and dryer - I assume she'll be doing her own laundry.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:22 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 39):
She'll be used to all amenities you have in house - perhaps except the air conditioner being set to 70 degrees.
You'll have to show her how to control the particular appliances though, as the controls on them may be quite different compared to the European models. Especially the washer and dryer - I assume she'll be doing her own laundry.

Thank you for that information WildcatYXU.
Whatever

MD11Engineer

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:33 pm

Frisco,
Don't forget that the Czech Republic has a long history (since the early middle ages) of mining and crafts and was and is, both as part of Austrian-Hungarian Empire as well as in independence, one of the most industrialised countries in Europe. Do the name Skoda, Tatra, Avia, Let, Walther Aero Engines ring a bell? Or the ore mines and smelters in the mountains at the border to Germany. Believe me, she is not coming from a backward third world country. The occupations both by the Germans and by the Soviets pushed them back, but they are by no means backward.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

andrej

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:17 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 38):
...and I was referencing post #13

Where I was giving you advise not to do such a mistake (I did not try to confuse you, or make fun on you).

My friend Frisco, I do sincerely apologize if I have confused you. But take it from the light side. It's better to make such a mistake now, then with her.  

On contrary, I highly respect you and your wife for doing such a great thing!

Cheers,

Andrej

TheSonntag

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:18 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 21):
I would make sure he/she goes on an Erasmus instead. Much better ROI.

Yes and no. I did Erasmus and enjoyed it so much in 2004-2005, but visiting the US as an au pair, far far away from your parents, is probably something else. I would recommend both. In my Erasmus class, two czech mates I got to know are married today, btw. Someone claims this happens once in a while during Erasmus, I dont know, I was there only for classes and never had alcohol...

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 30):
Per their exchange rules, no driving is allowed..period

Why is that, btw? This sounds a bit odd given the fact that if there is one thing the US is famous for, it is the fact that in some states its common to drive a car very early.

And, after all, I wish you a good time. I am sure it is worth it. I would love to host someone here, too, unfortunately we have no spare room.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:20 am

Update: About 4:00 this afternoon we got an email from our soon to be exchange student. We sent several emails back and forth -- so far so good and she seems very nice. She sounds very excited to come over. She said she is booking her flight tomorrow (wish I could have taken care of all that   ). Her arrival date will be August 17th, so even sooner than we expected, but that's ok.

And for those of you wondering (per prior comments), we did get some pictures today and yes, she does have a nice physique  
Whatever

AM744

Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:17 pm

I also find it ironic, a comment about nakedness coming from our French friend.     

It caught my attention as well as you can expect to see topless women on pretty much any French movie or TV program other than news. Not a bad thing at all.  

gocaps16

Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:21 pm

Anyway, this thread is worthless without pics.

Seriously though, what website/agency did you use. When I lived in Yokohama, my wife and I talked about hosting a Japanese in the US. Many do come out here to study English and it would give my daughter an older "sister" figure. I do like the idea and so does my wife and I particularly like the mentoring process and the friendship as well. My wife wouldn't be too bored while I am on my business trips being alone in a unfamiliar country as she is new to the US. Hope it works out for you.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:48 pm

Quoting gocaps16 (Reply 46):

ERDT/SHARE! High School Exchange Program
Whatever

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:55 pm

Update: her plane ticket has been purchased. She will be here on August 17th and we meet with her school counselor on the 19th to sign her up for classes and whatnot.

Today we will be cleaning out her bedroom closet and starting to do a few things to prepare for her arrival.
Whatever

bjorn14

Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:25 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 22):

You obviously have not been to Bygdøy in Oslo.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein