Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Pellegrine
Topic Author

Most Expensive Cocktail You've Ever Had

Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:57 am

What's the most expensive cocktail/glass of wine in a bar/lounge/club/restaurant you've ever bought? I'm not talking about bottles in a restaurant.

Earlier I was drinking some delicious cucumber something or other in the Beau Rivage Genève for CHF 33 (~$34 / €31). I think this is the most expensive single cocktail I've ever had. I've had flights of say sake that were in the $50 range, but that's like 2-3 drinks, so it doesn't count. My regular drink at home at my regular bar is a double green chartreuse with two rocks (I only indulge very occasionally with that...), and that is $20. I had a shot of 18yo scotch at the New York Bar in the Park Hyatt Nishi-Shinjuku, Tokyo some years ago...but I think that was around $25....

I'm not talking about retail prices of bottles of wine/liquor you've bought, or bottles you've bought in bars/hotels.

What's the most expensive single cocktail you've ever consumed? And what was it?
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

rwessel

RE: Most Expensive Cocktail You've Ever Had

Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:18 am

Normally a "cocktail" is a mixed drink with at least three ingredients (and not all of those). Are you including fine wines, whisk(e)ys, ports, etc.? Not hard at all to go over $34 per glass of any of those (although obviously in the case of wine, you're going to have to define how many glasses you get out of a bottle).

Pellegrine
Topic Author

Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:47 am

I guess just cocktails. But share. I've only usually ordered more expensive wines/spirits by the bottle. I'm just interested in whatever anyone wants to share.

I've had a few FABULOUS WW1 Era half-bottles of port, but they were comped so I don't know how much they were. The most I've spent on a single bottle in an establishment was around $2k AFAIR (as far as I remember) for some 30yo vintage rosé champagne, and a little less for an old first-growth Bordeaux. (Which I think are generally overpriced, I like some of the second-growths a lot.)
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

BestWestern

Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:54 am

The most expensive cocktail I drank was in Xiamen, China and it was a crying shame of a drink. Louis XIII with Cola. No, I didn't order it. It was in a KTV place with plenty of La Mei. About $60usd I reckon.

Fools and their money..... No doubt the bottle was fake.

Best cocktails in a Hong Kong - Varga lounge on Staunton Street.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

seb146

Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:22 am

I usually just buy US$5 or US$6 pints of microbrews. I look down the list of wines and see some bottles as much as US$100. I usually expect to pay about US$6 or US$7 for a cocktail. Top shelf is more. I saw infused cocktails in Seattle going for about US$10 or more depending on the bar.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

fr8mech

Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:29 am

Locally, I expect cocktails to be in the $10-$12 range, in the higher price ranged places I may go to. I assume they are higher in your Ruth's Chris or similar. $8-$10 in my typical restaurant haunts.

The most I've ever paid is probably in the $20 range and that was 15 years ago in New York around the holidays.

I rarely order a cocktail when I go out. I prefer local brews or straight bourbon. Now, I have paid as much as $12 for a long shot of Woodford. But, that was at an airport bar.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Rara

Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:02 pm

I may have paid 10 Euros or something on some roof bar or other exclusive venue. Don't think I've ever paid more. Don't think I ever would - I'd find it near impossible to enjoy.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

JJJ

Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:16 pm

At the kind of places you expect to have 10€+ cocktails I'd rather have an overpriced beer for half that.

I may have broken that line a few times, but I almost always felt shortchanged. IIRC the most expensive ever was a Cuba Libre on a fancy Miami joint. 30$ or thereabouts.

FriscoHeavy

Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:33 pm

I usually only have a drink at home on my patio. I drink Crown Royal XR with coke. This particular Crown Royal is $108/bottle.
Whatever

PITingres

Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:26 pm

I paid some silly amount for a small glass of ice wine in Barbados years ago. I forget the cost but I think it was somewhere around BDS$75, which is US$37.50. I had some "use it or lose it" cash so I was looking for the restaurant's most expensive after dinner drink!

Most expensive mixed drink was somewhere in the high $20's, also years ago, when I challenged a bartender to make something different that she didn't do every day. It was some sort of minty thing, very nice but not worth the money.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

ManuCH

Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:46 pm

I have paid around 20 euros for a run-of-the-mill Frozen Margarita in an average restaurant in Stockholm, Sweden. So I guess things are a bit more expensive there - although Switzerland isn't known to be cheap either  
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Boeing717200

Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:07 pm

Cocktails are a dime a dozen.

Easily the most expensive drink I've had.... A glass of scotch. The hotel bar had probably 100 different bottles of scotch on the wall with prices below them. I had a buzz already when I walked in. I picked one thinking (not really thinking because I had a good buzz already) it was $137 for the bottle. It wasn't. Ouch! And some where upwards of $300 a glass.

[Edited 2015-07-30 07:08:35]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

flipdewaf

Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:25 pm

I once had a cocktail of Half guinness, half coke and a shot of amaretto (the name isn't totally politically correct) I only handed about £5 to the barmaid but I think it was that that sent me over the edge on that night and I got with a girl who I later married so it's actually cost me thousands of pounds.

Fred

offloaded

Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:11 pm

4 G&Ts at the Sofitel St. James's London set me back £90.

2 G&Ts I had at some hotel in Dubai cost me more than the taxi ride to there from the airport!

I blame the price of tonic water.   
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

dfwjim1

Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:38 pm

A few years ago I was visiting Miami and had lunch at a Marriott hotel along the beach. I ordered a sandwich that was
$10 and a margarita to go along with the sandwich. When I got the bill the margarita was more ($12) than the sandwich so
I questioned the bill as I thought it strange that the drink was more than the sandwich. Needless to say the waiter was annoyed
that I questioned the amount...now I always ask the price of a drink before ordering it...LOL.

threeifbyair

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:07 pm

Dropped ~18 euros on a vodka tonic at the Le Meridien in Munich. If you're concerned, I believe the vodka in question was Ketel but my memory is a little hazy. This was back when the exchange rate was more like $1.40 so it hurt even more. Lesson learned - when your friends want one more drink at their hotel, make sure you know which hotel it is.

I expended a large portion of my remaining Moroccan dirhams on a G&T at a fancy resort. Not sure what the exchange rate made it in USD. It was a lot of dirhams, whatever it was - I think I broke a 200 note and didn't get much back for a glass of wine and my G&T.

Quoting offloaded (Reply 13):
I blame the price of tonic water.   

Seriously - gets me every time 

aerorobnz

Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:23 am

I used to get cocktails for free at a bar I went to a lot in London. They were basically Long Island Iced Teas with Champagne instead of Cola and additional Gold Schlager . There was nothing non-alcoholic in them and they came in massive goblets with minimal ice. They were worth heaps if I had to pay for them/
I did pay a round of drinks at another club in london once that cost 65 quid for 3.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

melpax

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:13 pm

And I thought drinking in Melbourne was expensive!

My non-beer drink of choice when out (vodka lime & soda) usually varies between $8-$12 bucks here, depending on the venue, or if it's the house vodka (usually Smirnoff) or top shelf such as Grey Goose.

Coal

Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:40 am

Probably c.$50 for a glass of Yamazaki 25 neat.

You can have one of the most expensive cocktails at Pangaea, a nightclub in Singapore, for c.$25,000 per glass. It does include a multiple-karat diamond inside.

Rgds
Coal

[Edited 2015-08-10 01:41:18]
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

B777LRF

Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:04 am

Not a cocktail per se, 'just' a Dry Martini. Very dry! Served from a small portable dish where the waiter gently peeled the lemon, waved the vermouth bottle over the glass and poured plenty of quality gin.

The place was St. James Hotel in London, the price was 80UKP for two. After the first one I got a very noticeable buzz, after the second I couldn't feel my legs! We had 3 each before disappearing into the night looking for dinner.

Yes, it was on the good old expense account  

On the other end of the quality scale, but certainly not the price, was a bog-standard Rum & Coke in Oslo. They are not allowed to serve a double in Norway, but the weakness was not reflected by the price. NOK 200, or thereabouts, it was. Which is something like 25 USD.
Signature. You just read one.

N1120A

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:36 pm

For a cocktail, I think the most I ever paid was for rather basic cocktails (white lady and margarita) at the Sheraton by the airport in Charleston. They charged us in this ridiculous way, and we ended up paying like $25 per drink.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Pellegrine
Topic Author

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:50 am

I think it's ridiculous how bars get away with charging a premium for cocktails mixed with bottom-shelf liquor. If I'm paying 20+ for a martini or a gin/vodka mixed drink it needs to be Tanqueray, Belvedere, Grey Goose, etc.

Actually one of my favorite drinks is a Tank No.10 martini, very dry, briefly stirred, with 3 (good, not canned) black olives....I find a lot of bars don't have black olives.

I used to be a big fan of Belvedere Citrus and Chopin Vodka, and recently have taken to Lillet and Doulin Vermouth drinks.

andz

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:49 pm

Not a cocktail as I don't drink them but in a hotel bar in Amman, Jordan I paid (at the time, November 2012) USD 14.60 for a 330ml Heineken. To put that into perspective, back home the same beer would have cost USD 1.65.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

cougar15

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:35 pm

in a Gogoclub in Warsaw! I wondered why all the ladies were so nice, until the 3 Jackie´s & ice end up ´drowning my creditcard in the dark ´ for 400 euro!
Those were nice whiskies (pressuming you were seeking an honnest, sorta Pants down answer.....)   

[Edited 2015-08-13 11:36:37]
some you lose, others you can´t win!

bhill

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:33 pm

Micro brew at a Sounders match $10 pint.....
Carpe Pices

us330

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:58 pm

Singapore Sling at the Long Bar at the Raffles. I think it was S$30, which was about $20 US. Tasted like an alcoholic cherry limeade.

gocaps16

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:20 am

$250 SGD for a drink I spent in Singapore before. And boy it was wonderful.

Leezyjet

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:17 pm

I was in a club called Mahiki in Dubai at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel and ordered 2 vodka's and 1 can of Red Bull. The bar man asked if I wanted doubles. As it was my b/day, I said yeah.
Total cost £48/$75/DhS276.
Good job I only got the 1 can of Red Bull!!

"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

fallap

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:22 pm

Most expensive wine: A bottle of Flor de Pingus, 2009 - 150$

Most expensive cocktail: Champagne cocktail at the Marina Bay Sands - ~ 60$
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science