Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

af773atmsp
Topic Author

High Speed Rail In Europe And Asia

Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:58 pm

A few general questions about high speed rail operations in Europe and Asia.

Do high speed trains have dedicated track separate from other trains (slower regional trains, freight trains)?

How fast can high speed trains operate when there is an at-grade road crossing in the area? I know that at-grade road crossings with high speed corridors is extremely rare, but what safety precautions are taken when there is one?

What signaling system do high speed rail corridors use? Is it equivalent to the Positive Train Control (PTC) system in the U.S.?
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

tommy1808

RE: High Speed Rail In Europe And Asia

Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:16 pm

Quoting af773atmsp (Thread starter):
Do high speed trains have dedicated track separate from other trains (slower regional trains, freight trains)?

depends. Some cuntries (Spain/France) run their HSR mostly on separate track, others (Gemany) run them mostly on shared track.

How fast can high speed trains operate when there is an at-grade road crossing in the area?

In Germany 160km/h iirc.

What signaling system do high speed rail corridors use?

ETCS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Train_Control_System

Is it equivalent to the Positive Train Control (PTC) system in the U.S.?

seems that way

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Aesma

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:03 pm

The French TGVs run at max speed on LGVs, dedicated tracks which by definition don't have any crossings. However the TGVs are also fully compatible with standard tracks, and use them at the normal speed of those.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:48 am

Also do high speed rail corridors have security fencing along the entire route, or just some of it? How else can trespassers or an animal be detected on the tracks?

Four years ago I traveled from Edinburgh to London and we were delayed a couple hours because of a drunken man on the tracks. Once my sister's train from London to Edinburgh was delayed due to a cow being on the tracks. Are these situations common?

tommy1808

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:08 am

Quoting af773atmsp (Reply 3):

Also do high speed rail corridors have security fencing along the entire route, or just some of it?

little in the way of fences here.

How else can trespassers or an animal be detected on the tracks?

by the noise they make on impact. When you go at 90 yards a second, you won't slow down in any meaningful way before you hit. It takes two miles to stop when you really slam on the brakes.

Best regards
Thomas

JJJ

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:29 am

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 1):
depends. Some cuntries (Spain/France) run their HSR mostly on separate track, others (Gemany) run them mostly on shared track.

Yes, and the not-too-common change from dedicated to shared track was one of the causes leading to the Santiago accident two years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_de_Compostela_rail_disaster

Also do high speed rail corridors have security fencing along the entire route, or just some of it?

Fully fenced in Spain (and no road crossings, period). Bird and rabbit impacts are still relatively common, though.

IH8BY

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:56 pm

Four years ago I traveled from Edinburgh to London and we were delayed a couple hours because of a drunken man on the tracks. Once my sister's train from London to Edinburgh was delayed due to a cow being on the tracks. Are these situations common?

Other than the line from St Pancras to the Channel Tunnel, we don't really have High Speed Rail in the UK. The line from London to Edinburgh is largely the route from the year 1850 updated every so often since then and isn't dedicated to the express trains that run the route. There are grade crossings but these are being phased out wherever possible, and it will mostly be fenced but often only with fences designed to keep sheep or cattle out.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

BestWestern

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:34 am

The Chinese high speed network is a dedicated system - and mostly runs on elevated sections - some elevated sections run for well over 100kms.

You see, elevated bridges create employment, and require investment, and investment allows for lots of cash to flow, some in not legal ways.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Aaron747

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:34 am

What signaling system do high speed rail corridors use? Is it equivalent to the Positive Train Control (PTC) system in the U.S.?

Regarding shinkansen in Japan, they use a combination of digital ATC and lineside traditional signaling.

How fast can high speed trains operate when there is an at-grade road crossing in the area? I know that at-grade road crossings with high speed corridors is extremely rare, but what safety precautions are taken when there is one?

There are no at-grade crossings for shinkansen as the entirety of the lines run on dedicated elevated track and tunnels not shared with other lines.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Dreadnought

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:50 am

Combination. For example, if you take the TGV from Paris to Geneva, you are on dedicated high-speed tracks for about 90 minutes to Macon, full steam without any crossings and very gradual curves, and then from Macon to Geneva you are on traditional lines at half speed or less. Total time is around 3 hours.

Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Viscount724

Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:08 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 9):

Combination. For example, if you take the TGV from Paris to Geneva, you are on dedicated high-speed tracks for about 90 minutes to Macon, full steam without any crossings and very gradual curves, and then from Macon to Geneva you are on traditional lines at half speed or less. Total time is around 3 hours.

Your map is quite out of date. The TGV network is more extensive now. For example, your map doesn't show what I believe is the fastest of all TGV routes from Paris to Strasbourg in eastern France. I don't think the entire route is complete yet but when TGV service started a few years ago, AF dropped all their Paris-Strasbourg flights.

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:47 am

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 6):

Well the U.S. does have lower standards when it comes to high speed rail, since our fastest train service only goes 150 miles per hour for a short segment on the Northeast Corridor. Though I think official designation in the U.S. for high speed rail is 200 or 220+ miles per hour, and "higher" speed rail is 110-200 miles per hour.

A number of at-grade crossings still remain on the Northeast Corridor, and tracks that have been upgraded for 110 mile per hour service by Amtrak in Michigan and Illinois also have at-grade crossings. From videos I've watched on YouTube it seems trains sound their horns a far distance away and aren't the standard "long-long-short-long" horn blast, but rather almost one continuous horn blast.

seat64k

Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:35 am

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 6):
Other than the line from St Pancras to the Channel Tunnel, we don't really have High Speed Rail in the UK.

Would the Pendolino service from Euston to Manchester (200km/h or 125mph, operated by Virgin Trains) not be considered high speed? What speed would be considered "high"?

tommy1808

Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:53 am

Quoting seat64k (Reply 12):
What speed would be considered "high"?

in Europe speeds above 200km/h are considered HSR.

Best regards
Thomas

Zkpilot

Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:40 am

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 6):
Other than the line from St Pancras to the Channel Tunnel, we don't really have High Speed Rail in the UK.

Would the Pendolino service from Euston to Manchester (200km/h or 125mph, operated by Virgin Trains) not be considered high speed? What speed would be considered "high"?

That's a good service that route. Saves a lot of time compared to driving.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

IH8BY

Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:48 pm

On the borderline, I suppose - personally I'd considered it the fastest extent of conventional rail travel, seeing High Speed Rail as a concept that was wider than just fast trains. It's not a criticism; I frequently use the train between Coventry and Euston and it's an excellent service (can be less than an hour even with one stop), and likewise used to use the East Coast service between King's Cross and York a lot.

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 14):
That's a good service that route. Saves a lot of time compared to driving.

The joy of passing traffic on the M1 at close to double their average speed... unless I absolutely need to you won't find me driving to central London!

Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

allrite

Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:08 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 8):
There are no at-grade crossings for shinkansen as the entirety of the lines run on dedicated elevated track and tunnels not shared with other lines.

Not strictly true. The "mini shinkansen" routes to Shinjo and Akita run on standard ground level tracks (except on standard gauge rather than normal JR narrow gauge) after they divert from the Tohoku shinkansen line (at Fukushima and Morioka respectively). IIRC there are level crossings. It should be noted that the trains are no longer high speed along those stretches travelling at 130 km/h maximum.

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 13):
in Europe speeds above 200km/h are considered HSR.

I believe that is the accepted definition for high speed. Pity nothing in Australia ever runs faster operationally than 160 km/h.
I like artificial banana essence!

PHX787

Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:45 am

Japan designed theirs from the outset to be completely separate from other trains, and at a different gauge (standard vs cape)

There are converted standard-gauge regional lines that use Shinkansen through-services called "mini shinkansen" and these have a max speed of 130kmh/80mph. thats the typical max speed of normal non-shinkansen lines but there are exceptions.

In Japan the shinkansen signals are internalized in the cabs. The cab signals use track-based radiometric and infrared scanners that send signaling information to the cab. The cab speedometer has a gauge above it with a light lit that shows the speed that the operator should bring the train to. if the speed goes above that, the train automatically slows down.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Aaron747

Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:59 am

Quoting allrite (Reply 16):
Not strictly true. The "mini shinkansen" routes to Shinjo and Akita run on standard ground level tracks (except on standard gauge rather than normal JR narrow gauge) after they divert from the Tohoku shinkansen line (at Fukushima and Morioka respectively). IIRC there are level crossings.

Regardless of what JR claims, as a lot of Japanese rail nerds will tell you, those are not 'true' shinkansen lines.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Stealthz

Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:05 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 18):
Regardless of what JR claims, as a lot of Japanese rail nerds will tell you, those are not 'true' shinkansen lines.

But that is the beauty of the TGV/ICE/Shinkansen concept compared to the theoretical advantages of Maglev/Monorail etc.
The TGV etc can run at 300kph + on their dedicated high speed lines but also function effectively on the existing infrastructure.
In theory a TGV Atlantique could travel from Brest in France to Istanbul.. Maybe some stretches where it may require local assistance.

The more advanced concepts like Maglev require a complete duplication of infrastructure thus making staged introduction difficult.
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:59 am

Quoting stealthz (Reply 19):

The same concept could also be used in the U.S., however lighter rail vehicles cannot operate with freight traffic, making it very difficult to operate a regional passenger rail system with diesel multiple units or electric multiple units. The Federal Railroad Administration has given exemptions on some lines, but only with temporal separation where passenger trains operate and at the same time freight rail doesn't operate and vice versa. Obviously this can't be done on busy freight lines, and so we have to use heavy commuter rail locomotives and coaches.

Stealthz

Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:48 am

Quoting af773atmsp (Reply 20):

I was not so much saying the HS trains should be sharing lines with freight (in Australia the mainline heavy freight travels faster than the pass trains) but more in utilising existing terminal infrastructure.
eg, build a true high speed line in the NE corridor, DC to NYC & Bos, the HS trains can use the existing station infrastructure just as the TGV/ICE trains do.
This is not possible with exotic technologies such as maglev. Conversely if there is some major disruption the High speed rail can be used for other purposes.

I returned from a recent trip to Europe (where I travelled about 8000km by train) thinking about the recurring stories here in Australia about a VFT along the Eastern seaboard linking Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne, as often as the subject is raised it is brushed aside due to the $billions it would cost.
Australia does not need a VFT.. cannot afford one.. a FT of 200-220KM/H (something like the OBB RailJet) would do Sydney-Canberra in 90min and Sydney-Melbourne in 4+hours turning huge areas of the Sydney/Canberra/Melbourne hinterland into viable commuter suburbs.
It is possible this could be done by spending hundreds of millions on the existing lines rather than the billions required by a 300+KM/H VFT line.
I had given thought to writing a more detailed paper on this but figured no one would read it!

[Edited 2015-08-04 01:50:42]
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

allrite

Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 18):

Yes, far too scenic.   I love the shinkansen for getting to places fast and comfortably, but I'd much rather enjoy the scenery on a slow little KiHa 120.  
Quoting stealthz (Reply 21):
Australia does not need a VFT.. cannot afford one.. a FT of 200-220KM/H (something like the OBB RailJet) would do Sydney-Canberra in 90min and Sydney-Melbourne in 4+hours turning huge areas of the Sydney/Canberra/Melbourne hinterland into viable commuter suburbs.
It is possible this could be done by spending hundreds of millions on the existing lines rather than the billions required by a 300+KM/H VFT line.
I had given thought to writing a more detailed paper on this but figured no one would read it!

Sydney to Canberra would need new tracks as the stretch along the Molonglo River is not suitable for fast train operation. Probably some other stretches too. They tried with a tilt train and it made little difference.

The current line between Melbourne and Sydney is a tad under 1000 km so you are looking at 5 hours at least going around 200 km/h. You have to consider speed limits and other restrictions once you get into the city areas as well as stops along the way. And you still have to improve a lot of the existing infrastructure, so it will still cost a lot of money. Maybe not as much as a true VFT, but still substantial.

As you say, a fast train network (with cheap enough tickets) could enable the development of viable commuter suburbs. Sydney's surrounding topography is a big barrier to this, but more could be done in Victoria. Pity that the regional networks haven't been upgraded as much as they should be.
I like artificial banana essence!

coolian2

Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Trying to roll this out properly in Auckland has been a headache
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

BreninTW

Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:20 am

Here in Taiwan, the HSR uses a completely dedicated system on standard guage tracks. The railways use a narrower guage tracks. In Taipei they tore up part of the traditional rail system to lay the HSR tracks so that the station could be shared. At the other end of the HSR they built a new station that is shared. Along the way, a couple of the HSR stations were built alongside existing railway stations. The part of the HSR that is north of the Taipei station is supposed to be shared with the Taipei Metro, but it's not been done yet.

Most of the route is elevated and the parts that aren't are completely fenced. The route almost entirely avoids going through cities, which allows for higher speeds, but makes the HSR less time-efficient in some instances. For example: It takes about the same time for me to drive from my home to downtown Taichung -- a distance of just over 200 km -- as it does for me to take the bus - metro - HSR - bus to the same location in Taichung. This is especially true now that we have e-tolls in place and I no longer need to stop at toll booths. Note though that it is only after Taichung that the HSR here is able to get up to its top speed of 299 km/h, so any further south than Taichung and it is generally faster to take the HSR.

Zkpilot

Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:46 am

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 23):

Trying to roll this out properly in Auckland has been a headache

That's because the system is designed for long distance trains that have larger separation between them. Auckland decided to use it on a metro system which it wasn't really designed for.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

coolian2

Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:44 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 25):
That's because the system is designed for long distance trains that have larger separation between them. Auckland decided to use it on a metro system which it wasn't really designed for.

That's us!

I think some of the kinks are sorted, the trains go like stunned rats at the moment. Far moreso than when it was a mixed fleet.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

Aesma

Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:00 pm

It's quicker to go from Lille at the northern tip of the country to Paris, than from by suburb to the same place in Paris. And where I live is less interesting and more expensive than Lille ! A bit annoying.

On the other hand the TGV Atlantique is fast only half of the way, so to go to my parent's vacation home in northern Brittany is not quicker than by car, since we first have to backtrack to Paris, then the TGV takes 4 hours, then we need a bus ride (formerly a railcar but frequencies are too few now), compared to driving the 550Km which can take from 5 to 6 hours, door to door. Economically it only makes sense if travelling alone or two at the most, otherwise the tickets cost more than the gas and tolls.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

N1120A

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:41 pm

Sorta.

Depends on where. Into stations, they definitely share track.

How fast can high speed trains operate when there is an at-grade road crossing in the area?

Depends on where.

Also do high speed rail corridors have security fencing along the entire route, or just some of it? How else can trespassers or an animal be detected on the tracks?

They use cameras in some places, but it is largely open.

Quoting af773atmsp (Reply 11):
Though I think official designation in the U.S. for high speed rail is 200 or 220+ miles per hour, and "higher" speed rail is 110-200 miles per hour.

Higher speed rail is anything between 79 mph and 124 mph, in the US. High Speed rail is over 125.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

tommy1808

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:01 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 28):
Depends on where. Into stations, they definitely share track.

only where track and clearance gauge are the same between HSR and regular trains.

best regards
Thomas