Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Suburban Rivalries Within Same Metro Area

Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:36 pm

I was wondering which metro areas have rivalries between different suburbs. Does anyone have some examples where this occurs?

I know that here in the Phoenix area, there tends to be a rivalry between the East Valley (Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Scottsdale, etc.) and the West Valley (Glendale, Peoria, Surprise, Avondale, Goodyear, etc.). Some people in the East Valley seem to think the entire West Valley is ghetto, while some people in the West Valley seem to think those in the East Valley are snobs. While it is true that the average income in the West Valley is lower than the East Valley, what gives East Valley residents the stereotype of the West Valley being ghetto is the west Phoenix neighborhood of Maryvale as well as southeast Glendale. At the same time, the East Valley isn't entirely full of rich snobs either; there are some poorer parts such as west Mesa.

Polot

RE: Suburban Rivalries Within Same Metro Area

Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:43 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Thread starter):
I was wondering which metro areas have rivalries between different suburbs. Does anyone have some examples where this occurs?

All metro areas with suburbs? The more interesting question would be which metro area doesn't have rivalries between suburbs.

Every metro area has a suburb considered the rich, snobby one. Every metro area has a suburb considered the poor, trashy one, and of course there are always poor people/neighborhoods in the "rich" suburb and rich people/neighborhoods in the "poor" suburb.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Quoting polot (Reply 1):
All metro areas with suburbs? The more interesting question would be which metro area doesn't have rivalries between suburbs.

In the Albuquerque metro area there doesn't seem to be a rivalry between the north suburbs in Sandoval County (Rio Rancho, Corrales, and Bernalillo) and the south suburbs in Valencia County (Los Lunas and Belen). So it doesn't occur everywhere.

Aesma

Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:48 pm

Between rich and poor, it's not really a rivalry, as neither is trying to emulate the other.

Now between poor and poor and rich and rich, that's another story.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

IMissPiedmont

Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:09 pm

funny how locals see a rivalry when other people see no difference between either area.

[Edited 2015-08-09 11:14:10]
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

910A

Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:47 pm

Some people in the East Valley seem to think the entire West Valley is ghetto

Because it is!

San Francisco vs. Oakland - "there is no there there," of course Giants vs. A's, formerly 49ers vs. Raiders

Alias1024

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:33 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 2):
In the Albuquerque metro area there doesn't seem to be a rivalry between the north suburbs in Sandoval County (Rio Rancho, Corrales, and Bernalillo) and the south suburbs in Valencia County (Los Lunas and Belen). So it doesn't occur everywhere.

True, but Albuquerque dominates it's metro area to a far greater extent than the Phoenix example you used earlier. Only around 32% of residents in the Phoenix metro area live in city limits, with the remaining 68% in the suburbs. It makes sense you'd see those regional rivalries amongst suburbs when that's where most people live.

Conversely, about 62% of the Albuquerque metro area lives within city limits and that's why the rivalries are mostly within the city. West Mesa vs. Northeast Heights vs. North Valley vs. South Valley.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:44 am

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 6):
Conversely, about 62% of the Albuquerque metro area lives within city limits and that's why the rivalries are mostly within the city. West Mesa vs. Northeast Heights vs. North Valley vs. South Valley.

Note that several of these areas you describe are actually outside Albuquerque city limits. Most of the North and South Valley are outside the Albuquerque city limits, as well as parts of the far Northeast Heights.

HOMER71

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:34 am

I don't really see one here in the Houston area: people in Sugar Land, The Woodlands, Katy, Pasadena and Clear Lake don't really gives a rat's ass about each other...maybe when Friday night football starts up

On a related note, in Buenos Aires, is the rivalry between Boca and River strictly futbol-related or is it civic (rival neighborhoods/districts)?
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

jetblueguy22

Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:56 am

In my hometown of Waterbury, CT it was an in town rivalry between the neighborhoods. We had the North end, Town Plot, Bunker Hill, Bucks Hill, and East Mountain. The neighborhood you grew up in was everything.

A lot of the students at my University are from Minneapolis/St.Paul. There seems to be an almost universal distaste for Edina. The consensus seems to be they're rich snobs. A mod on the team is from there (and frankly I can't see it). Hopefully I fly under the radar  .
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:03 pm

In Puerto Rico, officially 6 (lately 7) municipalities compose the greater San Juan Metro area (Bayamon, Cataño, San Juan, Guaynabo, Carolina, Trujillo Alto, and Caguas), though if we're gonna talk about municipalities whose residents and economic activity are strongly dependent on it, the list has about half the municipalities of the island.

Anyway, between the 7 municipalities of the greater SJMA, Guaynabo is considered the richest municipality in the island; hence, they're the rich snobs (or guaynabichos, as we call them). The capital San Juan and its residents consider themselves almighty; Carolina, is considered the ghetto one (Cacolina, caco being our term for ghetto). Bayamon, my hometown, also thinks of itself as all that, though we're known for pork rinds and traffic jams. Caguas is a world of its own, up to the point where we joke that it's a country in of itself (People's Republic of Caguas, particularly because local politics are dominated by the Popular Democratic Party).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Revelation

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:32 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 9):
In my hometown of Waterbury, CT it was an in town rivalry between the neighborhoods. We had the North end, Town Plot, Bunker Hill, Bucks Hill, and East Mountain.

I might be the only person on here who knows anything about those places since I grew up in Naugatuck. I was just in Waterbury last weekend for a wake and funeral. Given construction on I-84 I had to drive the local streets to get around. For someone who spent the first 25 or so years of live in the area and a similar time away, the word I'd use to describe it all is surreal. So much different, but so much the same...

Most rivalries were based on sports. Our football team was decent, two towns down (Ansonia) they were real powerhouses, almost always contenting for state championships. During my time we'd give them a good game and every so often our team got good enough to win. We had some good baseball teams too. Basketball, fuggetaboutit, the Waterbury schools kicked our butts.

I'd say all the towns were quite similar, except in some areas they had some bad ghettos with some really tough kids living there. We knew what parts of each town were no-go zones, and we knew some of the less dangerous places could become dangerous if you ran into the wrong people.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

N1120A

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:03 pm

In the States, the pervasiveness of high school sports often drives intra-regional rivalries. Sometimes, in larger cities, pro sports as well.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

desertjets

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:41 pm

I know that here in the Phoenix area, there tends to be a rivalry between the East Valley (Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Scottsdale, etc.) and the West Valley (Glendale, Peoria, Surprise, Avondale, Goodyear, etc.). Some people in the East Valley seem to think the entire West Valley is ghetto, while some people in the West Valley seem to think those in the East Valley are snobs. While it is true that the average income in the West Valley is lower than the East Valley, what gives East Valley residents the stereotype of the West Valley being ghetto is the west Phoenix neighborhood of Maryvale as well as southeast Glendale. At the same time, the East Valley isn't entirely full of rich snobs either; there are some poorer parts such as west Mesa.

If it was like 20 years ago I'd be much more inclined to agree. But since then the whole east valley vs. west valley thing is way overrated. It isn't exactly like Mesa is some sort of nirvana. Honestly there are plenty of parts of the valley where you covered up the street signs and dragged you there blindfolded you wouldn't know if you were in Peoria or Gilbert (obviously assuming you couldn't see any mountains). The whole west side stigma changed a lot after the construction of Arrowhead Town Center, the massive development around it, and the completion of the 101 on the westside.

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 2):

Places like ABQ and Tucson where the primary city is the dominate force, both politically and population wise you see that. But in ABQ there is an east side vs. west side rivalry. But I think that has more to do with how much of a pain in the ass it is to get across town and cross the river. I cross the river twice a year to go see my dentist (he used to have his office really close to my old place near Uptown) and occasionally have work meetings on the westside.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
In the States, the pervasiveness of high school sports often drives intra-regional rivalries. Sometimes, in larger cities, pro sports as well.

HS sports rivalries are kinda funny. Football was kind of a big deal at my high school in AZ in the 90s (one of the members of my graduating class played in the NFL -- think he is now retired). We had a decent rivalry with the neighboring high school and depending on who won the game there may or may not have been a fight at a local pizza place. FWIW we were the snob school.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

sw733

Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:48 pm

Here in Kansas City, there's a big "rivalry" of sorts between the people in Missouri and the people in Kansas.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:40 pm

Quoting desertjets (Reply 13):
If it was like 20 years ago I'd be much more inclined to agree. But since then the whole east valley vs. west valley thing is way overrated. It isn't exactly like Mesa is some sort of nirvana. Honestly there are plenty of parts of the valley where you covered up the street signs and dragged you there blindfolded you wouldn't know if you were in Peoria or Gilbert (obviously assuming you couldn't see any mountains). The whole west side stigma changed a lot after the construction of Arrowhead Town Center, the massive development around it, and the completion of the 101 on the westside.

Peoria is definitely one of the better areas of the West Valley, and shares many traits with Gilbert. Glendale on the other hand is more similar to Mesa, since both have good and bad portions.

jetblueguy22

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:40 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 11):
I might be the only person on here who knows anything about those places since I grew up in Naugatuck. I was just in Waterbury last weekend for a wake and funeral. Given construction on I-84 I had to drive the local streets to get around. For someone who spent the first 25 or so years of live in the area and a similar time away, the word I'd use to describe it all is surreal. So much different, but so much the same...

I was there about 3 weeks ago and the construction was horrendous. My folks said it is supposed to go into at least 2020!

Most rivalries were based on sports. Our football team was decent, two towns down (Ansonia) they were real powerhouses, almost always contenting for state championships. During my time we'd give them a good game and every so often our team got good enough to win. We had some good baseball teams too. Basketball, fuggetaboutit, the Waterbury schools kicked our butts.

Ansonia was still a powerhouse when I was in high school. I went to Sacred Heart. Our baseball team was always meh, but basketball and swimming we were pretty solid in. The neighborhood sports associations always seemed to play a big role in the whole thing. I always remember talking tough in regards to playing our "big rival" East Mountain in t-ball.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Revelation

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:01 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 16):
I was there about 3 weeks ago and the construction was horrendous. My folks said it is supposed to go into at least 2020!

At least it gives you an excuse to get of I-84 coming into Wtby from the East and visit Blackie's!   My dad (RIP) loved the hot dogs there. Ref: http://www.blackieshotdogs.com/

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 16):
I went to Sacred Heart.

I met a lot of nice girls from there. Intelligent, polite, and very curious about sex!   Maybe the SH boys of my era were too guilted out by the religious "training" to help them out? Many of the girls were Italian-Americans with crazy tempers, though... Good thing that the Frank Zappa albums of the era explained "Catholic Girls" to me...

vikkyvik

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:28 pm

I might be the only person on here who knows anything about those places since I grew up in Naugatuck.

Hey! I'm extremely familiar with Waterbury. I've seen it countless times, driving through on I-84.  

Seriously though, we used to drive Boston to NJ quite often when I was a kid. I always found the I-84-overpass-through-all-of-Waterbury entertaining.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Revelation

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:16 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 18):
Seriously though, we used to drive Boston to NJ quite often when I was a kid. I always found the I-84-overpass-through-all-of-Waterbury entertaining.

Pretty much a testament to "urban planning" of the 1950s-1970s where they gladly laid waste to many different neighborhoods to put in the Interstates. In particular, it laid waste to a lot of the Lithuanian-American neighborhood known as "Brooklyn". If you ever ended up leaving I-84 back then you should have made your way to the "Brooklyn Bakery" ( ref: http://www.yelp.com/biz/brooklyn-baking-waterbury ) for some of their great Lithuanian rye bread. If you get off these days, you'll find a burned out spot in the middle of Latino neighborhood.

BTW the I-84 / CT Rt. 8 interchange in Waterbury is locally known as the "Mixmaster" and as jetblueguy22 above tells us, it's going to be replaced, piece by piece, from now till at least 2020. I say "at least" because we're talking about the CT DOT here. They ******'d up the rest of the I-84 rework and that was all relatively simple compared to redoing the Mixmaster.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mixmaster&defid=723969 gives us:

Quote:
Mixmaster

The terrifying, curvy, 3-5 lanes, exit only, no crossing over, always traffic-jammed intersection of Interstate 84 and Route 8, located in scenic Waterbury, Connecticut.

Dude, I almost got killed merging on the Mixmaster last night!

Kinda hard to argue that...

http://www.connecticutmag.com/Blog/C...-Before-Better-as-Highway-Widened/ gives us:

Quote:

“Legend in Waterbury has it that when Interstate 84 was built it was not as wide as other sections of the interstate were going to be in terms of three lanes all the way through. But [Waterbury] was given more exits than … any other city has,” DiCarlo explains. “What this results in is people using it as a local road.”

Why that happens is also why those longer-distance commuters have no option but to weather the traffic jam; there are no convenient shortcuts from I-84 around Waterbury in any direction, and when the highway is a mess the main roads in the city that you might try are as bad or worse.

If it’s bad for drivers, it’s just as bad for the city’s image and economic development in Greater Waterbury. “Having worked in Hartford for more than 10 years in the state capitol, if you have a perception of doing business in Greater Waterbury, that perception includes a traffic jam,” DiCarlo says.

Kind of describes what happened in my current domicile -- Nashua, NH. Rt 3 North had the main bridge across the Nashua River so every muther in town got onto it to cross the river, and then merged with anyone else trying to go North from Lowell MA and points South to Manchester NH and points North, guaranteeing a massive traffic jam each and every day. The solution in Nashua ended up being five lanes all crossing the Nashua River in both directions. Seems CT DOT is going to try to replicate that, but I have absolutely zero faith in them pulling that off. NH DOT struggled mightily to pull it off in a similar time frame, and it was a MUCH simpler thing to do.

vikkyvik

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:39 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 19):
Kind of describes what happened in my current domicile -- Nashua, NH. Rt 3 North

Heh....Rt 3 North into Nashua. Every Bostonian's nightmare of a speed trap  

Amusingly, I have family friends who live off of Exit 1. About 50% of the time, I completely miss the exit, since it is literally right after the border.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 19):
Pretty much a testament to "urban planning" of the 1950s-1970s where they gladly laid waste to many different neighborhoods to put in the Interstates.

Yep. See Boston's (former) elevated Central Artery. And pretty much every freeway in LA is a giant concrete wall (or concrete dry moat).
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

TWA772LR

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:02 am

In Texas high school football is king. We all generally get along but al!ost every Friday in the fall is when people hate each other (in a friendly way).

My brother and I went to humble High School north of Houston and our rival was Kingwood HS, before Humble downgrade from 5A to 4A. One year KHS did something during the week of the big game to HHS. Humble students retaliated by painting over the KHS parking lot numbers!

A lot of these are harmless pranks but people to get our of hand sometimes.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Revelation

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:18 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 20):
Heh....Rt 3 North into Nashua. Every Bostonian's nightmare of a speed trap

Seems that way. The biggest speed traps are set up Sat morning northbound and Sun evening southbound to catch the people heading to the Lakes or to the White Mountains. Most of the rest of the time it's the usual New England 75 MPH+.

Amusingly, I have family friends who live off of Exit 1.

I also lived there for pretty much all the 90s and 00s. Chances are good you drove a dozen or so yards (or less) away from where I was living. The 00s were spend in the condo development across from DEC / Sheraton Tara, now HP. The 90s were a bit further down the road.

About 50% of the time, I completely miss the exit, since it is literally right after the border.

Totally. Even living there, I've blown past it from time to time if I was distracted.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 21):
In Texas high school football is king. We all generally get along but al!ost every Friday in the fall is when people hate each other (in a friendly way).

I hope it continues that way. Seems national sports has taken away a lot of the local rivalries. For me, Thanksgiving was always the day of "The Game", Naugy vs Ansonia. No need to mention who was playing, since "The Game" has been played every Thanksgiving since 1901.

jetblueguy22

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 17):
At least it gives you an excuse to get of I-84 coming into Wtby from the East and visit Blackie's!   My dad (RIP) loved the hot dogs there

Blackie's is always one of my first stops on the way home from BDL! As a kid it was the one place I could convince my dad to go no matter what.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 17):
I met a lot of nice girls from there. Intelligent, polite, and very curious about sex!   Maybe the SH boys of my era were too guilted out by the religious "training" to help them out? Many of the girls were Italian-Americans with crazy tempers, though... Good thing that the Frank Zappa albums of the era explained "Catholic Girls" to me...

Not much has changed apparently!

Hey! I'm extremely familiar with Waterbury. I've seen it countless times, driving through on I-84.  

I'm sorry!

Ah the good old mix master. It's always an event there with a rather unpleasant view.
Pat

Revelation

Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:06 am

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 23):
Not much has changed apparently!

Thanks -- I read your comment and laughed out loud, a deep belly laugh! 
Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 23):
Ah the good old mix master. It's always an event there with a rather unpleasant view.

Do you remember the first time you drove it? Mine was coming from Naugatuck from Rt 8 onto I-84 East where you're doing the rising right hand curve with the Naugatuck River a good 80 or so feet below you coming into your peripheral vision as you hold the curve. I remember telling myself "Screw what the driving instructor said, I'm gonna stare at the line on the road and hope I don't die!!!"  

jetblueguy22

Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:15 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 24):
Thanks -- I read your comment and laughed out loud, a deep belly laugh! 

Glad to help  
Quoting Revelation (Reply 24):
Do you remember the first time you drove it? Mine was coming from Naugatuck from Rt 8 onto I-84 East where you're doing the rising right hand curve with the Naugatuck River a good 80 or so feet below you coming into your peripheral vision as you hold the curve. I remember telling myself "Screw what the driving instructor said, I'm gonna stare at the line on the road and hope I don't die!!!"  

YES! I actually did not get my license until I was in college (almost had my pilots license first actually). When I went home that summer I took it going I-84 to RT 8 north and I drove it like an old man, especially because of that sharp turn right on the off ramp. It was a little nerve racking that's for sure.
Pat

DocLightning

Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:47 am

Quoting 910A (Reply 5):
San Francisco vs. Oakland

"vs" suggests there's a competition. There is not.  

EAST BAY REPRESENT!!!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

jetblueguy22

Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:31 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 26):
http://i.imgur.com/sqDh3I8.jpg

Let the battle commence  
Pat

af773atmsp

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:58 pm

In the Minneapolis/St. Paul area there are numerous rivalries. Minneapolis vs. St. Paul is an obvious one. Minneapolis being richer, having more people, and just overall having a good economy. St. Paul is poorer, has struggled to attract development, and is dead on weekends.

My suburb of Bloomington has it's own rivalry; West Bloomington vs. East Bloomington. The west is more residential and family friendly, while the east is poorer, plagued by crime, industrial (you can smell the industry too), and overall not a good place to live (this isn't what I believe).

People consider the south/west metro (Edina, Eden Prairie, Chanhassen, Minnetonka, Wayzata) to be full of rich, snobby people. I can kind of see why people believe this, but I don't have much experience interacting with people from these areas so I don't have a viewpoint.

I'm sure there is a rivalry growing in Lakeville with two high schools (Lakeville North and Lakeville South).
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

Revelation

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:59 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 25):
I actually did not get my license until I was in college (almost had my pilots license first actually). When I went home that summer I took it going I-84 to RT 8 north and I drove it like an old man, especially because of that sharp turn right on the off ramp. It was a little nerve racking that's for sure.
Pat

Getting on/off the Mixmaster is the closest thing you'll get to "unusual attitudes" training whilst driving on a US Interstate!  

I think the entrance from Rt 8 N is the worst since it's a rising curve. Very visually distracting to the inexperienced driver.

BNE

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:05 pm

In Western Australia there is a sporting(Football) rivalry between Perth and Fremantle (West Coast Eagles against Fremantle) in the AFL Australian Football League.
Last week there was some Facebook type survey that said, you support one of 2 football teams. Interestingly they are playing against each other in the AFL this weekend. and Fremantle are 1st and West Coast 2nd,

Fremantle to win.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

seb146

Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:08 pm

There are "good natured" rivalries in Oregon and northern California. I have not really noticed any "we are better than them" attitude. There are suburbs where some people don't go because of perception. In Portland, there is Gresham on the east and Hillsboro on the west. Both are heavily Latino but there are gangs in Gresham.

Seattle, however, is a different beast. We just spent two days there and I noticed the same attitude is still there. In talking with locals, I would tell them that I used to live in Auburn in south King County. They would get this look on their face like "...oh... there." But, when I would tell them that I used to live in Portland and would come hang out for a few days, the attitude was "Oh, well then you know about XYZ and to avoid ABC."

I never figured out what was so bad about Auburn. They have one of the largest casinos in Washington and ATC. Nothing special but nothing horrific like Fife.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Airstud

Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:11 am

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 9):
There seems to be an almost universal distaste for Edina
Every Day I Need Attention.

Pancakes are delicious.

Dreadnought

Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:23 am

This is the first I've heard of such rivalries in the US. The only rivalries I know of are in European cities where medieval rivalries still exist, famously manifested in the annual Palio of Siena in Italy.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Aaron747

Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:47 am

^
Seriously? Hello Chicago, Boston, DC, you name it. New York and LA probably have the motherlode of famous rivalries - Brooklyn vs. Queens, Upper West vs. Lower West side, LA Westside vs. the Valley, Beach cities north of LAX vs. south of LAX.

In the Bay Area it gets quite ridiculous with the East Bay ghetto vs. North Bay wine snobs vs. Silicon Valley techies vs. 'new ' Peninsula and 'Old' Peninsula and on and on. Nothing new really...
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Dreadnought

Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:25 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 34):
Seriously? Hello Chicago, Boston, DC, you name it. New York and LA probably have the motherlode of famous rivalries - Brooklyn vs. Queens, Upper West vs. Lower West side, LA Westside vs. the Valley, Beach cities north of LAX vs. south of LAX.

Hardly a rivalry. A rivalry has to manifest itself somehow. Street fights, sports contests, open warfare, whatever. People saying "I prefer to live in X rather than Y" is not a rivalry.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

jetblueguy22

Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:54 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 29):
I think the entrance from Rt 8 N is the worst since it's a rising curve. Very visually distracting to the inexperienced driver.

It can be fun though with a little speed and no traffic (so almost never). Almost like a roller coaster.

Quoting Airstud (Reply 32):
Every Day I Need Attention.

My stepdad used to always joke about it but I never really bought it. Then I went to school with Edina kids. It isn't far from the truth.
Pat

seb146

Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:09 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 35):
Street fights, sports contests, open warfare, whatever.

All of the white OC kids thinking they are tough because they riot and fight is not enough?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:59 am

That's my experience with it too. My grandparents lived up in Simsbury, so WB always meant an hour or less to go. Plus the parts of 84 that went double deckered were pretty neat.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 26):

EAST BAY REPRESENT!!!

Get a job.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 34):

Seriously? Hello Chicago, Boston, DC, you name it.

DC? What are you talking about DC? There isn't anything worth mentioning outside of Montgomery County... Everyone knows that. 
Well, you know what they say. Whatever doesn't kill you...
... Must not be an MD-11.

Aaron747

Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:59 am

Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 38):
There isn't anything worth mentioning outside of Montgomery County... Everyone knows that.

Say whaaaaa?? According to some old friends of mine, NoVa is the undisputed center of the universe 
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

melpax

Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:56 am

The traditional Melbourne rivalry is between the 'snobby' Eastern Suburbs & the 'working class' Western Suburbs.

Though this has been diluted somewhat with a lot of the old heavy industry relocating, huge population growth over the past 15 years & a lot of the previously undesirable inner suburbs such as Yarraville & Seddon being gentrified. Even Footscray is rapidly undergoing gentrification, probably the last inner-city suburb to undergo this process.

You still have some old school holdouts who would never entertaining the thought of going any further west than the Melbourne CBD