zkojq
Topic Author

40 Semi-finalists For The New New Zealand Flag

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:02 pm

The flag selection panel has come up with this list of 40 potential designs to replace the current flag. Next month four of these will be chosen for a referendum. The referendum will be held between 20 November and 11 December 2015 and we will rank the chosen designs in our order of preference. In March next year we have another referendum, where we will choose between the current flag and the winner of the previous referendum.

I'm hoping that we decide to keep the current flag.

http://www.govt.nz/browse/engaging-w...lag-your-chance-to-decide/gallery/

What do people here think of the designs? I honestly can't say that I particularly like any of them.
First to fly the 787-9

Mortyman

RE: 40 Semi-finalists For The New New Zealand Flag

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:15 pm

Wow

Was not aware that you were getting a New flag ... Why ?

Changing flag is a big issue ...

I'm not sure I like the colour black in a flag ... atleast not as much as in many of the examples here ...

I would have kept the one you already have.

[Edited 2015-08-10 14:45:33]

Aeroflot777

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:19 pm

I don't understand, what sparked the need for a new flag? Seems like quite an unnecessary and expensive change.

casinterest

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:24 pm

I like Manawa, but I think the Kiwis should stick to the current flag.
Where ever you go, there you are.

flyingturtle

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:24 pm

ARE THEY SERIOUS?

NO KIWI ON THE FLAG???

If they are afraid of strange birds, they could still have chosen the other national critter, the Giant Weta...

David

[Edited 2015-08-10 14:26:41]
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

GrahamHill

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:36 pm

I don't understand either why you want to change. The current one is nice. Is it because you want to get rid of the UK flag? Or is it because there's a resemblance with the Aussie one?
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

VapourTrails

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:53 pm

I did not know you were up for considering a new flag?!

Love those designs, the silver fern (red, white and blue) is a stand out for me, not that that is relevant!

Good luck with it all, I shall watch with interest.   

=

DeltaMD90

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:12 pm

Wow, these options are pretty terrible IMO. Like really bad... are these the only options?

Hope you keep your current flag!

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:20 pm

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 6):
the silver fern (red, white and blue) is a stand out for me

I would vote for that one: integrates the silver fern, which apparently is what many Kiwis use to support their teams, with the Southern Cross.

Embrace, Manawa (blue and green), and Koru and Stars are my next choices.

Looks more like a high school competition: nearly half the entires come from 2-3 folks.

Southern Cross Horizon would have been a way better design if it had not been gray. Having the bottom blue (ocean) and the top black (sky), with the stars in red would have been a better combination.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

zkojq
Topic Author

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:27 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 1):
Why ?
Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 2):
I don't understand, what sparked the need for a new flag?

Because our Prime Minister, in his infinite wisdom, has decided that we need a new one. He wants a legacy and somehow thinks it will be worth billions to the economy. Personally, I call BS on that.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...l-be-worth-billions-to-new-zealand

Only ~25% of New Zealanders support a flag change.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11441353

I'm not sure I like the colour black in a flag ...

I don't either. I don't think that the black colour is representative of the nation. Unfortunately, it seems to be creeping into prominence, thanks to certain sports teams and the national airline. I think that Black (and the silver fern) are what foreigners associate with New Zealand rather than what New Zealanders feel represents us.

I would have kept the one you already have.

As would I. In the Second World War, all bar one of my grandparents fought under our current flag (or the Flag of the Kingdom of the Netherlands).

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 5):
The current one is nice.

Seems like quite an unnecessary and expensive change.

It is. Cost to the taxpayer is ~26,000,000 NZ Dollars. If a new flag was chosen, presumably there would be plenty of implementation costs to the government also. What a waste.

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 4):
If they are afraid of strange birds, they could still have chosen the other national critter, the Giant Weta...

Yeah, but that one might scare off tourists. (Despite the appearance, Wetas are actually pretty tame.)

Is it because you want to get rid of the UK flag? Or is it because there's a resemblance with the Aussie one?

Supposedly a bit of both. I for one don't really care when people confuse our flag with that of our Trans Tasman cousins. I could understand the need for a new flag if we were separating ourselves from the Monarchy and becoming a republic (not something that I support), but that isn't happening and the vast majority of Kiwis don't want to become a republic. As such, the flag change seems rather unnecessary.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 7):
Wow, these options are pretty terrible IMO. Like really bad... are these the only options?

There's only really three themes in there: Koru, Southern Cross and Fern. It feels like those in power have already chosen the Silver Fern and have just put the other designs in to make the process appear democratic. I would be very, very surprised if Silver Fern (Black & White) wasn't the new flag option in the second referendum. One good thing about the selection is that tino rangatiratanga (separatist flag) hasn't made it through.
First to fly the 787-9

Braniff747SP

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:30 am

The flag change is absolutely asinine... Especially with these choices.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

TheCommodore

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:42 am

Quoting ZKOJQ (Thread starter):

My thoughts as well.

Stay tuned for the same thing happening here in OZ soon
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

777way

Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:40 am

Most look too much like logos or flags of small third world Island nations.

Those I think are suitable as typical flags

http://www.govt.nz/browse/engaging-w...nce-to-decide/gallery/design/14125
http://www.govt.nz/browse/engaging-w...nce-to-decide/gallery/design/27819 this ones colours seem changed it was blue and almost black when I saw it first, looked better as that, but still nice design wise
http://www.govt.nz/browse/engaging-w...nce-to-decide/gallery/design/27735 would be good in blue

Interesting ones

http://www.govt.nz/browse/engaging-w...nce-to-decide/gallery/design/22998 really like this
http://www.govt.nz/browse/engaging-w...ance-to-decide/gallery/design/1165

One of simple plain black and white fern ones would also work and tie in with NZ livery.

[Edited 2015-08-10 21:53:23]

aerorobnz

Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:57 am

I don't understand, what sparked the need for a new flag? Seems like quite an unnecessary and expensive change.

Due to having a chronically insecure PM wanting to boost his ego and increase his cock size by a few extra inches by having a flag that doesn't get confused with Australia every time he goes abroad. It's pathetic and all the flag 'designs' suck. They're all cliches and corporate logos.

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 10):
The flag change is absolutely asinine... Especially with these choices.

Yep. A complete and utter waste of time, money and effort, but it does distract the attention of the masses occupied on this BS instead of critiquing the TPPA deal he is trying to push through.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

allrite

Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:03 am

I like the selection.

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 11):

I'm all for getting rid of the Union Jack. Last thing we need right now is a reminder of being dominated by the English.  
Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 9):
As would I. In the Second World War, all bar one of my grandparents fought under our current flag (or the Flag of the Kingdom of the Netherlands).

Not to knock your grandparents, but assuming that you are at least partly of European extraction your ancestors before them may have fought under flags and banners that no longer exist because their principalities were absorbed into others and eventually into the countries we see today.

If you are fighting for your country you should be fighting for the ideals and people that the country represents, not a flag. If enough people in New Zealand feel that a different flag represents them better then perhaps it should change.
I like artificial banana essence!

trav110

Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:35 am

Those look terrible!

Mortyman

Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:35 am

Black flag and silver / white ... Am I the only one thinking of ISIL ... ?

WearyDrover

Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:38 am

I can see arguments for and against changing the flag and I can see that some people might think the current one is not representative of all inhabitants. It seems reasonable for the issue to be decided by popular vote and not simply imposed from above.

As to the designs themselves, some do look like the houseflags of shipping lines. The fern and stars in red, white and blue borrows from existing colours and stand out. Some of the other designs look a bit limp and (call me perverse) one brought to mind the number 69.
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

Kiwirob

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:47 am

So do I

What do people here think of the designs? I honestly can't say that I particularly like any of them.

I like the Kyle Lockwood designs, in particular the red over blue version.

Was not aware that you were getting a New flag ... Why ?

I don't think we will get a new flag, about 70% of us don't wantit to change. What it is is the PM wanting to leave a legacy, changing the flag is his personal mission.

Or is it because there's a resemblance with the Aussie one?

Actually it's the Australian flag which resembles our flag, ours it older, and there's was designed by a Kiwi.

It's the domino theory, first the flag, then we look towards becoming a republic, boith pointless wastes of time and money, the current flag and political system are working well, change for the sake of change is pointless.

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 16):

I think it as well, and it also reminds me of the Jolly Roger.

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 17):
I can see arguments for and against changing the flag and I can see that some people might think the current one is not representative of all inhabitants. It seems reasonable for the issue to be decided by popular vote and not simply imposed from above.

If 30 years time Chinese will make up around 30-40% of NZ's population, do we change the design again when this happens?

scbriml

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:53 am

Too many off them look like adverts for Air New Zealand.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

KFLLCFII

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:04 am

If that's the biggest issue facing your prime minister right now, I'd say you guys are doing pretty good.  
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

aerorobnz

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:20 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 20):
If that's the biggest issue facing your prime minister right now, I'd say you guys are doing pretty good.

There are bigger issues but he is choosing to ignore the bigger issues because he has no solution for them.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

777ER
Head Moderator

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:41 am

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 9):
Why ?
I don't understand, what sparked the need for a new flag?

Because our Prime Minister, in his infinite wisdom, has decided that we need a new one. He wants a legacy and somehow thinks it will be worth billions to the economy

It all comes back to the TPPA. The USA is also going down the same road with a possible flag change.
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

Mortyman

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:43 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 22):
The USA is also going down the same road with a possible flag change.

Huh ?

AirPacific747

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:11 pm

I don't like any of those designs. Keep your current flag, it is full of history.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 18):

This is the only of the samples that might work.I still much prefer the current flag though. I agree that there shouldn't be black in a flag.

[Edited 2015-08-11 05:14:21]

Adipasquale

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:40 pm

What? I can assure you nobody in the U.S. is thinking about changing the flag. If the president (particularly our current one) ever suggested such a change, I am fairly certain a not insubstantial percentage of the population would openly revolt against the government.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 77L 77W

zkojq
Topic Author

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:01 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 11):

I hope not.

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 13):
Due to having a chronically insecure PM wanting to boost his ego and increase his cock size by a few extra inches by having a flag that doesn't get confused with Australia every time he goes abroad. It's pathetic and all the flag 'designs' suck.

rotfl  You explain the situation so much better than I could.  
Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 13):
Yep. A complete and utter waste of time, money and effort, but it does distract the attention of the masses occupied on this BS instead of critiquing the TPPA deal he is trying to push through.

and from the very steep fall in the price of a certain commodity. Don't forget a property bubble that is probably about to burst also.

Quoting allrite (Reply 14):
I'm all for getting rid of the Union Jack. Last thing we need right now is a reminder of being dominated by the English.

Not to knock your grandparents, but assuming that you are at least partly of European extraction your ancestors before them may have fought under flags and banners that no longer exist because their principalities were absorbed into others and eventually into the countries we see today.

True, but those happened generations ago. Even WWII wasn't really that long ago when you think about it. Plenty of veterans alive who have served under the flag in WWII/Malaya/Vietnam/Afghanistan/EastTimor/Solomons.

If you are fighting for your country you should be fighting for the ideals and people that the country represents, not a flag.

Indeed.

John Oliver noticed also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz29_bFxBZA

The red makes it look quite a lot like the labour party's logo.

Actually it's the Australian flag which resembles our flag, ours it older, and there's was designed by a Kiwi.

First they copied our flag design, then Pavlovas, then they took Phar Lap. Our neighbours to the West are often an untrustworthy bunch. 
It's the domino theory, first the flag, then we look towards becoming a republic, boith pointless wastes of time and money, the current flag and political system are working well, change for the sake of change is pointless.

I've been expecting him to announce a referendum on the monarchy for a while. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

[Edited 2015-08-11 06:23:13]
First to fly the 787-9

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:00 pm

Quoting adipasquale (Reply 25):
What? I can assure you nobody in the U.S. is thinking about changing the flag.

Yes, you have two choices:

http://i.imgur.com/mN0lW0N.png

or

http://i.imgur.com/278ykCm.png
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Kiwirob

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:19 pm

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 26):
First they copied our flag design, then Pavlovas, then they took Phar Lap. Our neighbours to the West are often an untrustworthy bunch.

But can they please please please take Russell Crowe and Sonny Bill Williams.

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 26):
I've been expecting him to announce a referendum on the monarchy for a while. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

He's a monarchist to the bone, one of the first things National did when they came back was reinstate titles.

Quote:
In 2009, Prime Minister John Key restored the honours to their pre-April 2000 state. Principal Companions and Distinguished Companions (85 people in total) were given the option to convert their awards into Knighthoods or Damehoods. The restoration was welcomed by Monarchy New Zealand. The option has been taken up by 72 of those affected, including rugby great Colin Meads. Former Labour MP Margaret Shields was one of those who accepted a Damehood, despite receiving a letter from former Prime Minister Helen Clark "setting out why Labour had abolished the titles and saying she hoped she would not accept one". Clark's senior deputy, Michael Cullen, also accepted a knighthood.

AM744

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:43 pm

Do as Canada. Go classic. Divide the flag in vertical thirds, place the fern in the middle and pick a nice color other than red. Make it easy for kids to draw their new flag.

GrahamHill

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:40 pm

Quoting AM744 (Reply 29):

Do as Canada. Go classic. Divide the flag in vertical thirds, place the fern in the middle and pick a nice color other than red. Make it easy for kids to draw their new flag.

But it wouldn't be original. They would go from a flag that looks like the Aussie one (or the other way around - I don't want to offend my Kiwi friends  ) to one that would look like the Canadian one.

If they create a completely brand new flag, they might as well create something original and recognizable anywhere.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

petertenthije

Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:18 pm

Quoting thunderboltdrgn (Reply 27):
Yes, you have two choices:

Has the third choise been rejected? The one where the stars are replaced by Masai shields?
Attamottamotta!

Rara

Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:19 pm

I quite like this one.  https://www.govt.nz/assets/flags-designs/Pax-Zwanikken-Tukutuku-FINAL.png

Has a distinct Reich feeling to it.  
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Kiwirob

Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:37 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 30):
They would go from a flag that looks like the Aussie one (or the other way around - I don't want to offend my Kiwi friends )

It's been the other way round since 1908, a competition was held in 1901 to design a flag for Australia, one of the people who won was New Zealander William Stevens, that flag became offical in 1908. The current flag was designed and adopted for use on NZ Colonial ships in 1869 following an Imperial statute and became New Zealand's national flag in 1902.

kiwiandrew

Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:24 pm

My first preference would be abolition: get rid of the current irrelevant flag, but free ourselves up by not replacing it. Why do we need a flag at all? ( yes, that is a serious question, and no , "everyone else has one" is not an answer).

Kiwirob

Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:55 pm

The quick answer is

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 34):
everyone else has one

Flags help unit people, they bring a sense of togetherness, hence the emotion behind this debate.

Living as far away from NZ as I do I always enjoy seeing our Flag, it makes me happy.

MD-90

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 pm

It all comes back to the TPPA. The USA is also going down the same road with a possible flag change.

Mississippi =/= the USA

Confuscius

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:43 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 35):
Flags help unit people, they bring a sense of togetherness

How 'bout this for the new kiwi flag...lots of colors too.

Ain't I a stinker?

WearyDrover

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:45 am

If 30 years time Chinese will make up around 30-40% of NZ's population, do we change the design again when this happens?

I doubt it, if a flag is chosen that is broadly representative and doesn't just point to one heritage. But that would be up to the people in 30 years time to decide.
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

AKLDELNonstop

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:30 am

I don't understand either why you want to change. The current one is nice. Is it because you want to get rid of the UK flag? Or is it because there's a resemblance with the Aussie one?

A bit of both really. As a young New Zealander with no connections to Britain (or Europe), I'd like the flag the to change. My reasons are:

1) I have no connection to Britain and don't understand why my country's flag should have the Union Jack on it in the 21st century. I can perhaps understand why the flag was relevant in the early part of the 20th century, but I believe we have moved on and New Zealand today is very different to what it was in the 1920s.

2) The flag, in my opinion, lacks a distinct identity (very similar not only to Australia but a number of Pacific countries and territories) and does not scream uniquely New Zealand. The Silver Fern does a much better job of that.

If you are fighting for your country you should be fighting for the ideals and people that the country represents, not a flag. If enough people in New Zealand feel that a different flag represents them better then perhaps it should change.

I definitely feel that way. Whether it is enough or not, the vote will tell.

Quoting scbriml (Reply 19):
Too many off them look like adverts for Air New Zealand.

Air New Zealand has done a very good job of advertising both itself and the country of New Zealand.

777ER
Head Moderator

Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:07 am

Quoting AKLDELNonstop (Reply 39):

A bit of both really. As a young New Zealander with no connections to Britain (or Europe), I'd like the flag the to change. My reasons are:

1) I have no connection to Britain and don't understand why my country's flag should have the Union Jack on it in the 21st century. I can perhaps understand why the flag was relevant in the early part of the 20th century, but I believe we have moved on and New Zealand today is very different to what it was in the 1920s.

2) The flag, in my opinion, lacks a distinct identity (very similar not only to Australia but a number of Pacific countries and territories) and does not scream uniquely New Zealand. The Silver Fern does a much better job of that.

I for one (as many others also) don't want our flag to change. Why should our flag which has been our official national flag for over 110 years change? It identifies our history and who we are as a country. New Zealand has and always will have links to Britain thanks to our history.
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

Aeroflot777

Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:38 am

There is absolutely no way the US is going down the same road. It will never happen, and I fear for the life of the person in the US who chooses to make the suggestion on a national scale.

zkojq
Topic Author

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:18 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 28):
He's a monarchist to the bone

Or so he claims. Thankfully the portion of the population that wants to become a republic is tiny, so it would be an uphill battle to do so. In one of the NZ Herald's annual 'change the flag' discussions circa 2006/2007, I remember Mr Key supporting the current flag.

National did when they came back was reinstate titles.

I'm pretty sure that was more to do with reversing changes made by the previous Government more than anything else. While I supported the reinstatement at the time, now I'm against it. IMO there's too many people with titles who don't deserve them.

But can they please please please take Russell Crowe and Sonny Bill Williams.

Indeed. Also, they can keep Quade Cooper.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 35):
Living as far away from NZ as I do I always enjoy seeing our Flag, it makes me happy.

Its always nice to see it when you're in a foreign land.

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 34):
My first preference would be abolition: get rid of the current irrelevant flag, but free ourselves up by not replacing it. Why do we need a flag at all? ( yes, that is a serious question, and no , "everyone else has one" is not an answer).

Coat of Arms and National Anthem too?

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 37):
How 'bout this for the new kiwi flag...lots of colors too.

The LGTB community has had equal rights in New Zealand for a number of years. As such, that flag is somewhat irrelevant.

Quoting AKLDELNonstop (Reply 39):
The flag, in my opinion, lacks a distinct identity (very similar not only to Australia but a number of Pacific countries and territories) and does not scream uniquely New Zealand. The Silver Fern does a much better job of that.

But we are very similar to our Australian and Pacific Neighbours.

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 38):
But that would be up to the people in 30 years time to decide.

Should flags be replaced every thirty years? (rhetorical question)

Personally, I think they shouldn't.

The more I think about this, the more I think that whatever alternative we choose, our decision shouldn't be influenced by a foreign terrorist group.
First to fly the 787-9

bunumuring

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Wow!
I didn't know about this...
I like manawa...
Some of these designs show promise, and as has been expressed here, i cant believe that the kiwi isnt somewhere on at least one of the 40 finalists!
I'm all for getting rid of the Union Jack from our flag as well as NZ's flag...
I really wish Australia had a referendum on a new flag as well, following this kiwi model. I'm yet to see however, a new Aussie flag design good enough for me to want to replace our current one with.
Good luck!
And tell me, is there any move to rename the country? Aoeteoroa (spelling? Sorry if I got it wrong!) is such a great name.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

Kiwirob

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:14 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 43):
Good luck!

Bad luck you mean, the reasons for changing are frivolous, it's completely unnecessary and will not happen if public sentiment is anything to go by.

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 43):
And tell me, is there any move to rename the country? Aoeteoroa (spelling? Sorry if I got it wrong!) is such a great name.

Aotearoa is already an official alternative name, one that almost nobody uses, the vast majority of us prefer New Zealand.

The issue I have with Aotearoa is it doesn't refer to New Zealand as a whole, the pre European maori names for New Zealand were Te Ika Nui A Maui (The Great Fish of Maui), and Te Waka a Maui (Maui's Canoe).

kiwiandrew

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:36 pm

@ZKOJQ - I didn't even know we had a coat of arms, but yes, I would abolish that together with our national dirge if I could. I honestly don't get the attachment so many people have to the current flag. It wasn't our flag at the time of such important events as the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi and the granting of the vote to women. The vexillological term for our flag is 'defaced' , because we have taken someone else's flag and added bits to it. I don't want a defaced version of someone else's flag. If we really must have a flag ( and no one has convinced me that we must) then it should be our own.

winterlight

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:45 pm

Will the country then become known as New New Zealand?
Question everything. Trust no-one.

OA412

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:34 pm

Since when? Americans revere their flag more than any other country I can think of. I can't even begin to imagine a credible movement to redesign the flag.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Mortyman

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:48 pm

Quoting oa412 (Reply 47):
Americans revere their flag more than any other country

A silly statement ...

Kiwirob

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:17 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 45):
and the granting of the vote to women

We gave women the vote in 1893, we have been using our current flag since 1869, you do the math.

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 45):
I didn't even know we had a coat of arms

That really shows your ignorance, surely you have a passport, have you never seen a NZ Court Room, looked at a police officer, the coat of arms is used a lot.