zkojq
Topic Author

RE: 40 Semi-finalists For The New New Zealand Flag

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:37 am

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 43):
And tell me, is there any move to rename the country? Aoeteoroa (spelling? Sorry if I got it wrong!) is such a great name.
Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 44):
Aotearoa is already an official alternative name, one that almost nobody uses, the vast majority of us prefer New Zealand.

I like Aotearoa! I don't really see the point of changing names though. Everyone here knows what Aotearoa means, but a name change would just confuse foreigners.

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 45):
national dirge

Well, if people would just sing it a bit faster...

If we really must have a flag ( and no one has convinced me that we must) then it should be our own.

But none of the 40 finalists seem particularly inspiring. Nor original. I guess I'd vote for New Southern Cross or The Seven Stars of Matariki, but I'd still much prefer the current flag.

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 48):
If we really must have a flag ( and no one has convinced me that we must) then it should be our own.

Happy Birthday!

Quoting winterlight (Reply 46):
Will the country then become known as New New Zealand?

Unfortunately a.net automatically capitalises the first letters of each word in the thread title.  
First to fly the 787-9

kiwiandrew

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:55 am

Kiwirob, your post really shows your ignorance, although the current flag was often used for maritime purposes from 1869, it did not become the official New Zealand flag until 1902.

Kiwirob

Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:47 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 52):
it did not become the official New Zealand flag until 1902.

Not really as I already posted that little titbit.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 33):
It's been the other way round since 1908, a competition was held in 1901 to design a flag for Australia, one of the people who won was New Zealander William Stevens, that flag became offical in 1908. The current flag was designed and adopted for use on NZ Colonial ships in 1869 following an Imperial statute and became New Zealand's national flag in 1902.

It was the de-facto national flag of New Zealand from 1869 until it was officially adopted in 1902.

Anyway I'm surprised this flag didn't make the 40. I don't have any problem bringing this one back from the past.

aerorobnz

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:54 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 53):
I don't have any problem bringing this one back from the past.

Neither would I hugely, but it would probably have the same response as the Confederate flag does within some communities so I guess that removes it from the list of 40 Corporate logos currently on offer. It might also bring back a degree of liability in terms of traeaty claims if you go back to using the flag the treaty was signed under.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

777way

Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:22 pm

Is this list being updated, there are few new ones in there and the order has changed, also as I mentioned earlier the colours of one changed too.

WOW there are 172 pages of the flag designs sent in with over 10,000 enteries, some are beyond laughable and very obviously sent in as a joke, but the panel who went through all have thanked every contributor.

einsteinboricua

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:00 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 22):
The USA is also going down the same road with a possible flag change.

I am not aware of any jurisdiction in the process to become a state. Puerto Rico is perhaps the closest thing to a 51st state and with a Republican Congress I doubt it's gonna happen any time soon. It would essentially be admitting a territory that has more Democrats than Republicans, ergo, guaranteeing more Democrat lawmakers, but I digress.

Then again, hasn't there been chatter on how there's already a 51st state? The UK, Canada, Israel, and Iraq (when it was occupied) are joked as being the 51st state.

Quoting oa412 (Reply 47):
I can't even begin to imagine a credible movement to redesign the flag.

Oh, but there is...when a new territory is admitted as the 51st state the flag will change...adding another star.  
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

andz

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:36 pm

Quoting ZKOJQ (Thread starter):
40 Semi-finalists For The New New Zealand Flag

How is that possible, semi-final implies that there are 2 contenders.

Quoting allrite (Reply 14):
I'm all for getting rid of the Union Jack. Last thing we need right now is a reminder of being dominated by the English

The Union Jack is the British flag, not the English flag.

I got bored with reading the thread so maybe someone already mentioned this.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Thunderboltdrgn

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:55 pm

Quoting andz (Reply 56):
How is that possible, semi-final implies that there are 2 contenders.

Not two contenders but two half-finals from which contenders qualify to the final (step/level).
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

bhill

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:10 pm

Most of them look like Pepsi logos...
Carpe Pices

andz

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:29 pm

Now that I had a look at the link I can't see any one of them that are remotely close to a national flag.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Kiwirob

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:40 pm

Quoting andz (Reply 59):
Now that I had a look at the link I can't see any one of them that are remotely close to a national flag.

That's the problem, it's like a corporate rebranding.

zkojq
Topic Author

Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:39 pm

@ZKOJQ - I didn't even know we had a coat of arms, but yes, I would abolish that together with our national dirge if I could.

Did you know that the Governor General has a separate flag? Nor did I until 20 minutes ago! Appears to have a hung sheep on it.
http://gg.govt.nz/sites/all/files/im...es/Governor-General%27s%20flag.jpg

I think its quite nice how, in Europe (and elsewhere), provinces and cities have their own flags. It's somewhat disappointing that our provinces and cities don't have those, but rather logos instead.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 52):
Anyway I'm surprised this flag didn't make the 40. I don't have any problem bringing this one back from the past.

I wouldn't mind that one, it looks better than any of the final 40. However, if the whole point of this new flag debacle is to rid our flag of the Union Jack, it seems a bit counter intuitive to replace our flag with something that looks so very similar to St George's Cross.

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 53):
Neither would I hugely, but it would probably have the same response as the Confederate flag does within some communities

Yeah, there's that.
First to fly the 787-9

cougar15

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:02 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 11):
Stay tuned for the same thing happening here in OZ soon

na, we´ve been there & done that! I recon most were for the yellow boxing kangaroo back then to replace the Union jack in the very late 1980´s / 1990s , but that wasnt ""socially acceptable"" , so it never happened!!
big load of bulldust that turned into, bloody expats (like me) even had to ´cast their vote´at the aussie embassy or risk a 40 buck fine next time u went ´home´!

[Edited 2015-08-13 14:03:57]

[Edited 2015-08-13 14:08:24]
some you lose, others you can´t win!

Zkpilot

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:22 am

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 9):
There's only really three themes in there: Koru, Southern Cross and Fern. It feels like those in power have already chosen the Silver Fern and have just put the other designs in to make the process appear democratic. I would be very, very surprised if Silver Fern (Black & White) wasn't the new flag option in the second referendum. One good thing about the selection is that tino rangatiratanga (separatist flag) hasn't made it through.

I for one hope that the fern is chosen. Fern+Southern Cross is a good combination.
I'm also very glad that the divisive racist tino rangatiratanga flag was not included!

I personally like these two: The first is included, The second is not.

64 types. 44 countries. 24 airlines.

WearyDrover

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:46 am

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 61):

I think its quite nice how, in Europe (and elsewhere), provinces and cities have their own flags.

Here in Australia each state has its own flag' as do some cities. The state flags are usually just the old colonial badge mounted in the fly of the blue ensign. The Northern Territory has a flag that is uniquely its own, featuring the desert rose.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_Northern_Territory

There is even an Aboriginal flag, adopted in part because to many Aborigines the present Australian flag reminds them of "invasion and dispossession".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboriginal_flag
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

Kiwirob

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:04 am

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 61):
Did you know that the Governor General has a separate flag? Nor did I until 20 minutes ago! Appears to have a hung sheep on it.

It has part of the NZ coat of arms on it.

Rara

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:29 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 65):
It has part of the NZ coat of arms on it.

Nice! The sheep is a brilliant touch (is it being prepared for export) and the lady's dress could even be called risqué.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Kiwirob

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:04 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 66):

Nice! The sheep is a brilliant touch (is it being prepared for export) and the lady's dress could even be called risqué.

NZ Coat of Arms explained.

offloaded

Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:57 pm

Quoting AKLDELNonstop (Reply 39):
1) I have no connection to Britain and don't understand why my country's flag should have the Union Jack on it in the 21st century. I can perhaps understand why the flag was relevant in the early part of the 20th century, but I believe we have moved on and New Zealand today is very different to what it was in the 1920s

The Union Flag was adopted in 1801, only 101 years earlier than yours. It is of course entirely your choice, but I don't consider us having, in part, the same flag constitutes any such ownership of it. It is as much yours as it is ours.

Personally I hope NZ doesn't change it's flag.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

seat64k

Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:59 pm

My favourite design didn't make it: https://www.govt.nz/assets/flags-designs/2238-flag-nz.jpg

(Too bad I didn't screenshot the page - the description was quite classy too)

Jokes aside, there are some nice designs. I like the firn and the southern cross themes. Adding the a kiwi would have been good too, but I think having all three would be a bit too busy.

DeltaMD90

Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:08 pm

Quoting seat64k (Reply 69):
My favourite design didn't make it: https://www.govt.nz/assets/flags-designs/2238-flag-nz.jpg

(Too bad I didn't screenshot the page - the description was quite classy too)

lol goatse anyone? (DON'T google that if you don't know what I'm talking about, you've been warned)

skywaymanaz

Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:04 pm

The only reason I can see to change it is to distinguish themselves from Australia. Personally I think they should join Australia but not sure that idea would go over very well in New Zealand. I do like some of the fern variant flags with the Southern Cross though.

Btw as far as some comments go on changing the US flag there have been efforts to change certain state flags. Georgia tried that around the turn of the century and it was a real mess  

WearyDrover

Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:43 am

Quoting seat64k (Reply 69):
My favourite design didn't make it: https://www.govt.nz/assets/flags-designs/2238-flag-nz.jp

I am sure that the Comintern would have approved. It contains all the symbolism of "workers and peasant revolution" you could want. Are there that many dye in the wool Stalinists left in New Zealand?  

Kiwirob

Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:15 am

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 71):
Personally I think they should join Australia but not sure that idea would go over very well in New Zealand.

A lot of people in NZ think this would be a good idea. And we can whenever we want to, the Australian Constitution includes NZ as a state, the door is open for whenever we want to walk through it.

WearyDrover

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:03 am

New Zealand could certainly apply to become a State but its admission would be upon such terms as Parliament decides.

New Zealand is listed in Clause 6 "Definitions" of the Constitution Act but is not mentioned in Clause 9, which contains the actual "Constitution." The creation or admission of new States is dealt with in Clause 9, Chapter VI.Ss 121-124.

[Edited 2015-08-17 03:07:03]

Kiwirob

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:46 am

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 74):
The creation or admission of new States is dealt with in Clause 9, Chapter VI.Ss

I don't believe this applies to New Zealand. Since we are already listed as a state in the preamble we don't need to apply as a new under Clause 9, Chapter VI.Ss

Quote:
On the first day of January, 1901, the Commonwealth of Australia officially came into being and the six Australian colonies, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and Western Australia, became States of the newly created nation. Although New Zealand chose not to take any further part in the federation process after preliminary discussions, their representatives primary success was to ensure that New Zealand could, at any time she pleases, enter into the Commonwealth of Australia as a State without the need for approval from the other States. It is for this reason that New Zealand is included within section 6 of the Preamble to the Australian Constitution.

Clause 6

Quote:
6 Definitions
The Commonwealth shall mean the Commonwealth of Australia as established under this Act.

The States shall mean such of the colonies of New South Wales, New Zealand, Queensland, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia, and South Australia, including the northern territory of South Australia, as for the time being are parts of the Commonwealth, and such colonies or territories as may be admitted into or established by the Commonwealth as States; and each of such parts of the Commonwealth shall be called ―a State.‖
Original States shall mean such States as are parts of the Commonwealth at its establishment.

777Jet

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:54 am

The flag selection panel has come up with this list of 40 potential designs to replace the current flag. Next month four of these will be chosen for a referendum. The referendum will be held between 20 November and 11 December 2015 and we will rank the chosen designs in our order of preference. In March next year we have another referendum, where we will choose between the current flag and the winner of the previous referendum.

I hope Australia never goes down that road - far more important things to do than mess with something with so much history attached to it like a nation's flag regardless of what people think about it.

I'm hoping that we decide to keep the current flag.

DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

WearyDrover

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:24 am

You are right to say that New Zealand would not need the approval of the Australian States. It would however require the approval of the Parliament of Australia (as well as that of New Zealand). This approval may be willingly given but no doubt would follow negotiation of the terms.

Would New Zealand wish to join as one State covering North and South Islands, or would it seek to join as two or more states? How many seats in each House of Parliament would be wanted? Would New Zealand, with a bit less than teice the population of Western Australia be content with the same number of Senators? These are just some of the questions that would need to be negotiated, so it isn't simply a matter of saying "here we are. Where do we sit?"

Kiwirob

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:37 am

Joining as two states would certainly be better for New Zealand but it would probably nullify the preamble. As for numbers of seats in the house and senate I have not idea. I'm neither for nor against the idea, there are benefits and issues with it, but ultimately I think union would be better for NZ in the long run, but I'll probably be dead by then.

WearyDrover

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:02 pm

I think much of the legal underpinning of the Covering Clauses has already been nullified by subsequent legislation and historical events. For example the reference to the Commonwealth as a self-governing colony. Also, the definition of States described New Zealand as a colony that would only be included in the term State if it were "for the time being a part of the Commonwealth" or "admitted into" it. A lot has happened since then.

How widespread do you think support for joining is, as a matter of interest.

Kiwirob

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 79):
How widespread do you think support for joining is, as a matter of interest.

It's not widespread but it's also not a small as many think it is. There are 600,000 NZ citizens living in Australia, plus there children, I'm sure a lot of them would be pro.

Boeing717200

Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:54 pm

It all comes back to the TPPA. The USA is also going down the same road with a possible flag change.

Don't know where you're getting your information, but this is a bunch of poppy cock.

If we ever add another State it will simply mean an additional star as has been done over the decades before.

[Edited 2015-08-17 10:58:01]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

offloaded

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:50 pm

The Fijians are changing theirs, but unlike NZ, it doesn't look like keep their current one is an option.

New Fiji Flag

Kiwirob

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:21 pm

Quoting offloaded (Reply 82):
The Fijians are changing theirs, but unlike NZ, it doesn't look like keep their current one is an option.

Some pretty horrible choices but a couple of really good ones, lucky Fijians.

texan

Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:22 am

Perhaps 7 Days has it right? "All New Zealand really needs to do is get a flag that Australia hates. So our flag should have a gay atheist female Aborigine on a boat."

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

777ER
Head Moderator

Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:55 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 73):
Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 71):Personally I think they should join Australia but not sure that idea would go over very well in New Zealand.
A lot of people in NZ think this would be a good idea

We already have instant visa entry for work/personal but I don't think the Australian's would really want us as our immigration rules are pretty slack in regards to people Australia doesn't want. Those people come to New Zealand and wait till their have residence then move to Australia

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 81):
It all comes back to the TPPA. The USA is also going down the same road with a possible flag change.
Don't know where you're getting your information, but this is a bunch of poppy cock.

Read it in the paper here about the TPPA. Also saw a cartoon in the paper with Obama and Bush talking on the phone over the flag debate
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

Zkpilot

Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:11 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 85):
We already have instant visa entry for work/personal but I don't think the Australian's would really want us as our immigration rules are pretty slack in regards to people Australia doesn't want. Those people come to New Zealand and wait till their have residence then move to Australia

Australia (with NZ as part of it) could simply cancel any of those visa's it chooses to. In the lead up to federation NZ could also restrict applications for passports/citizenship by those on visa's.

zkojq
Topic Author

Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:55 am

40 have become 4. These are the ones we will get to vote on:

Koru.

Silver Fern (Black, White and Blue).

Silver Fern (Black & White).

Silver Fern (Red, White and Blue).

Quoting offloaded (Reply 82):

They're very fortunate; many more good options to choose from than what we have. I really like this one:
http://www.newfijiflag.com/wp-conten...uploads/2015/06/Flag6-1024x512.jpg

this one is quite nice too
http://www.newfijiflag.com/wp-conten...loads/2015/06/Flag24b-1024x512.jpg

Quoting texan (Reply 84):

First to fly the 787-9

Kiwirob

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:04 am

Quoting zkojq (Reply 87):
40 have become 4. These are the ones we will get to vote on:

I detest 1 & 3, both hidious, a black and white flag is just a horrible thing. 2 & 3 are ok but still look like corporate logos to me.

zkojq
Topic Author

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:47 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 88):
I detest 1 & 3, both hidious, a black and white flag is just a horrible thing. 2 & 3 are ok but still look like corporate logos to me.

I don't like any of them, but I guess #2 is marginally less awful than the others. I hope that they'll grow on me....

On a more positive note, some of our banknotes have been redesigned and I think that they all look quite good.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/mone...pplauds-beautiful-new-NZ-banknotes

[Edited 2015-08-31 22:56:50]
First to fly the 787-9

Zkpilot

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:28 am

#2 is the best. Nice clean bold colours with a bit of black which is our national colour (or whatever black is lol).
#1 and 3 are just rubbish

na

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 am

In March next year we have another referendum, where we will choose between the current flag and the winner of the previous referendum.

I hope the current flag wins. Denying history is never a good idea unless this history is a bad one. Most New Zealanders are of British origin, so why throw the Union jack away for a modernistic pennent?
Granted, some designs with the red stars and the fern are not bad looking but I fail to see the sense in a change.

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 71):
The only reason I can see to change it is to distinguish themselves from Australia.

Ok, I also sometimes confused the Aussie and the NZ flag.

Kiwirob

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:32 pm

Quoting na (Reply 91):

Ok, I also sometimes confused the Aussie and the NZ flag.

Really, NZ flag 4 red and white stars, Aussie flag an ugly bastardised copy of the NZ flag designed by a Kiwi, with 7 white stars.

ER757

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:32 am

At first I was partial to #4 but #2 has grown on me. I guess there's enough red, white and blue flags already out there so the black makes it a little more unique I suppose. Not really crazy about any of them, hope you keep the current one.

offloaded

Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:33 pm

If I had to, and there was no option to keep the current flag, it would be #2.

Tugger

Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:16 pm

Quoting texan (Reply 84):

Someone on a Twitter feed on this topic offered this interesting option:

http://twitter.com/hashtag/nzflag?src=hash

Also on there several commented on this in relation to one of the "new" flag options....

...so much for originality.   

Tugg

[Edited 2015-09-02 10:30:24]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

zkojq
Topic Author

Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:37 am

This keeps becoming more and more of a farce:

Quote:
One of the Flag Consideration Panel members who helped to pick the final four options sits on a government board where her job is to help promote the Fern Mark logo.

Julie Christie is an advisory board member on New Zealand Story, a NZ Trade and Enterprise body which approves the use of the Fern Mark image used on the black-and-white version of the final four flag options.

I guess she did her job well.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11511139

Also this

Quote:
According to official documents released to me yesterday, the panel didn't consult the advice of any vexillologists. Instead, they asked for the 'expert' advice of a Nike sportshoe designer who previously designed washing machines.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...cle.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=11510969

Great to see the media taking this seriously  http://www.3news.co.nz/tvshows/story...g-choices-2015090119#axzz3kVD0Hzel

Quoting Tugger (Reply 95):
...so much for originality.

Speaking of originality, one of the designs is reasonably similar to the governing National Party's logo and the other similar to the Labour party logo:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11506728
First to fly the 787-9

777way

Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:42 am

Why not simply turn current flag background colour to red or teal or even white.

Kiwirob

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:53 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 97):
Why not simply turn current flag background colour to red or teal or even white.

We already have them, the white one is the Royal New Zealand Navy Ensign.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a7/Naval_Ensign_of_New_Zealand.svg/1200px-Naval_Ensign_of_New_Zealand.svg.png

And the red Ensign.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/40/Civil_Ensign_of_New_Zealand.svg/1200px-Civil_Ensign_of_New_Zealand.svg.png

And I believe these along with the Police, Fireservice, Civil Aviation, Airforce and several others will also need to change if the flag changes, but there has been no sign of any replacements for these flags.

Here's the only one I can find, potential new RNZAF flag, looks pretty stupid IMO.

YYZatcboy

Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:44 pm

Quoting AM744 (Reply 29):
Do as Canada. Go classic. Divide the flag in vertical thirds, place the fern in the middle and pick a nice color other than red. Make it easy for kids to draw their new flag.

Thats hilarious. I was going to post DONT do what we did. No one here can draw a maple leaf without a lot of effort, especially children. Keep it simple. No swirls and crazy stuff.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W 788/789 E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763