lesfalls
Topic Author

Duolingo?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:25 pm

Does anyone else also use Duolingo? If yes then what languages do you do?

I do Italian and German.

-Lesfalls
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

IADCA

RE: Duolingo?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:14 pm

Quoting lesfalls (Thread starter):
I do Italian and German.

Mostly Spanish and French (refreshing the latter, learning the former), but also some German and Norwegian. It's a good supplement.

Doona

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:48 pm

I use it once in a while to refresh my German a little bit. I've also recently started learning a bit of Irish on it. Trying to learn a language from a new language family is always a trip. I'm more familiar with the structures and principles of Germanic and Romance languages (being a native Swedish and English speaker, and having studied German as well as some French and a bit of Spanish in school). So going beyond those families can be quite a challenge. I took Russian in high school, and Japanese at uni, and they were both wonderfully new experiences for me.

But out of all those languages, I sort of think that Irish is the hardest, at least when it comes to pronunciation and spelling. For some reason, learning the Cyrillic alphabet and the three different types of Japanese characters was less challenging. But then again, for that I had actual teachers who were all native speakers, rather than an app on my phone. But it's great fun, and I feel like I'm actually learning some.

The generated example sentences can be a bit worrying sometimes. Just the other day, I had to correctly translate "itheann na páistí", which I figured meant "the children eat". According to the app, the correct translation would have been "Eat the children". The first comment on that particular one was: "Well, that turned dark rather quickly." Then I ran it through google translate, and it suggested that both meanings are possible. But still...

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

FighterPilot

Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:15 am

Been using Duolingo to learn Dutch for just about two months now. I'm really enjoying it and I like how they treat it like a game and keep you interested in learning the language. I'm currently on a 57 day streak and have no intention of breaking it. I don't rush through the lessons either, retaining material is key so I've been slowly going through the lessons and making sure I've got it down before going to the next few. I'm not one of those people that want to blast through the language to say I've "finished a tree." I've always been very serious about learning Dutch so I've also been using Rosetta Stone as well. I find they both have their pros and cons, Rosetta more on the speaking side and Duolingo the writing. Being that both my grandparents come from The Nederlands I have a family connection to being Dutch I'm excited about speaking with my grandparents in Dutch. Eventually I'm thinking I may try learning some German and or French but that won't be for years down the road.

Tot Ziens!
Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

zckls04

Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:08 am

I haven't used this site before, but when I saw your post I took a look. Looks really good!

I'm going to try and finally learn Spanish. Unfortunately I learnt French & German at school- not very useful once I came to the USA.
Four Granavox Turbines!

lesfalls
Topic Author

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:49 am

Quoting IADCA (Reply 1):

Totally agree  
Quoting Doona (Reply 2):

Intresting

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 3):

Same for me. I would learn French but that would be a year away

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 4):

Great ! Hope you enjoy it  
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

Airstud

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:00 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 4):
I learnt French & German at school- not very useful once I came to the USA.

Are you kidding? American chicks love French.
Pancakes are delicious.

einsteinboricua

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:34 am

Refreshing French. Haven't used it in a while though. Would like to learn Russian or Arabic with it though.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

zckls04

Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:46 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 6):
Are you kidding? American chicks love French.

They love British English too, and that's a lot easier for me....
Four Granavox Turbines!

Braybuddy

Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:46 am

Thanks for the thread! I'd never heard of Duolingo, and now I'm addicted: been brushing up on my (sehr rustig) German all day and it's fantastic!

Braybuddy

Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:19 am

While it is very good, it does throw up phrases such as "Sleep is interesting", "That household is good", and, intriguingly "The coat is on the roof" which, I'm sure will come in very useful on my next trip to Germany . . .

Surprisingly, it also flags British English words as typos.  Wow!

FighterPilot

Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 10):
While it is very good, it does throw up phrases such as "Sleep is interesting", "That household is good", and, intriguingly "The coat is on the roof" which, I'm sure will come in very useful on my next trip to Germany . . .

As annoying as it can be I actually quite like it. It makes you actually think and use the words properly in a sentence you normally wouldn't use. But thats just me.

Surprisingly, it also flags British English words as typos.  

This annoys me, luckily it isn't counted as a wrong answer.

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

IADCA

Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:49 pm

Surprisingly, it also flags British English words as typos.  

And yet in the Spanish course, it seems to build in British word usage (e.g., "mate" as a translation for compañero). I suspect it's a reflection of the fact that Duolingo is essentially a crowd-sourced platform; if your German course was built by people whose English is American English, it'll come out that way until enough people point it out to move the needle towards dialectical neutrality.