Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing717200

RE: Issuing Same Sex Marriage Licenses And Religion

Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:01 pm

Quoting hoons90 (Reply 299):

Just out of curiosity, what if there was a Muslim county clerk that disallowed a marriage because the woman getting married wasn't wearing a hijab? Would you not be outraged at that?

One, I don't get outraged over stuff the courts will ultimately solve. That's for bleading hearts that go into meltdown mode over anything that's even mildly offensive to them, like killer whales in captivity, or eating beef or dead lions.

Second, you're finally getting my point. Her actions aren't about a marriage license. Just like the flight attendant in the other thread or the chick that sued Disney over her head gear.

[Edited 2015-09-11 08:05:04]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

Boeing717200

Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:04 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 295):

She thinks she it though as do her lawyers which have complete control over where this heads.

Quoting scbriml (Reply 294):

Got nothing to do with the bible, just the weird abuse of it by anabaptists.

Aaron747

Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:14 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 300):
Second, you're finally getting my point. Her actions aren't about a marriage license. Just like the flight attendant in the other thread or the chick that sued Disney over her head gear.

Got your point a long time ago, but couldn't understand how non sequitur is to be taken seriously.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Boeing717200

Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:22 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 302):

I don't think you did. It was a basic question to the OP demanding she be immediately thrown in jail. Er go... You agree with my view, hey it's all good. You disagree, off with your head! Nothing non sequitur about it, it's actually disturbing.

scbriml

Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:31 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 301):
Got nothing to do with the bible, just the weird abuse of it by anabaptists.

Abuse of a work of fiction?   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

seb146

Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:59 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 303):
It was a basic question to the OP demanding she be immediately thrown in jail.

For breaking the law and not doing her job as an elected official. A harsh punishment, I will agree, but it is still silly to compare her to Gavin Newsom. BTW, you still never answered my question:

Quoting seb146 (Reply 287):
Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 282):
I don't draw maps. You're a smart guy. Figure it out.

That is not an acceptable answer. Tell me how her "morality" (and, her being married four times I use the term VERY loosely) is above the law? That onus is on you.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

tommy1808

Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:12 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 304):
Abuse of a work of fiction?

A work of fiction with roughly half of its contact being fake anyways non the less. If it at least was something relatively consistent and genuine like Star Wars, we may consider forming a society based on it...but that mess?  

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

D L X

Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:58 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 276):
Doesn't matter. A law is a law. Does a judge have to order you not to run a red light?

It matters quite a bit! If a judge orders that if you run another red light, you will be sanctioned, guess what: you will be sanctioned if you decide to run the red light anyway. That could land you in jail.

But look. I can't tell if you are ignoring the facts, or if you're just unaware of how things work.

Davis was not jailed for not issuing marriage licenses. She was jailed for disobeying the judge's order to issue marriage licenses.

In other words, she thought that it was legal for her not to issue licenses, so she was taken to court. SHE LOST. Then she decided "to hell with what the judge said, I'm gonna do it my way anyway." That will get you sanctioned every time.

if you violate a judge's order, you will be sanctioned. There is no conscientious objection to a judge's order. You may appeal, but when you lose your appeal, you must comply.

Otherwise, what is the point of having courts to decide the law?

(Don't answer until you firmly understood what I just wrote. There is nothing in this post that is controversial.)

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 293):
Again, whats going on here isn't even about gay marriage anymore.

Now this part, you got correct. But I'm not sure you know why you got it correct.

Prove me wrong.

D L X

Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:00 pm

NEW WRINKLE: The Oath Keepers are planning to protect Kim Davis when she violates the court order again, and prevent her from being arrested.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...to-keep-kim-davis-kentucky-clerk-/

You remember the Oath Keepers, right? Those are the automatic rifle-toting conservatives that "assisted" the police in suppressing Ferguson protests.

luckyone

Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 308):

I say show up. It's the last thing Mike Huckabee would want. It most likely will signal the end of the Presidential political circus for this show it won't end there but at least any goon who brings it up or has too many pictures with Ms. Davis and her phony-overalled husband will have all but the most firebrand supporters checking out.

blueflyer

Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:14 am

Some people lose, lose some more, lose yet again and finally get it. Not Kim Davis.

She's filed an appeal against the order to issue marriage license to all comers. She argues that since all same-sex couples who wanted to get a license from her office did get one while she was on an enforced prayer retreat, life should now go back to normal where she hands over licenses only to people she likes.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/kentucky...e-sex-marriage-licenses-1442017733

At this point, I'm seriously wondering whether her lawyer is giving her a cut of the legal fees he is charging whatever foundation (can't remember their name) is supporting her in her futile attempts to live in the past.

D L X

Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:29 pm

I gotta admit.

I'm SHOCKED that Davis didn't do something already to land herself back in jail.

einsteinboricua

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:02 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 310):
Some people lose, lose some more, lose yet again and finally get it. Not Kim Davis.

Republicans also fall into this camp. Some have moved on, but the bulk of the party remains stuck in the fight.

Quoting D L X (Reply 311):
I'm SHOCKED that Davis didn't do something already to land herself back in jail.

It's not over yet. While the governor and AG offices insist her name isn't required, she's trying to exploit a loophole (oddly enough, the same one she wanted assigned to her). She won't interfere with the deputy clerk but questions the validity of licenses issues without her name.

So...she wants to have her cake and eat it too.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

luckyone

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:20 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 312):
Republicans also fall into this camp. Some have moved on, but the bulk of the party remains stuck in the fight.

A good chunk of the party is still stuck in the 1980s with their WORSHIP of all things Ronald Reagan.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 312):
It's not over yet. While the governor and AG offices insist her name isn't required, she's trying to exploit a loophole (oddly enough, the same one she wanted assigned to her). She won't interfere with the deputy clerk but questions the validity of licenses issues without her name.

So...she wants to have her cake and eat it too.

Yup, ironically she is doing exactly what she INSISTED she could not do. Her desire to keep her job is apparently stronger than her much-spouted faith. Part of me thinks she wanted this fight.

MaverickM11

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:12 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 291):
best regards
Thomas

She said she wants to live biblically. I say let her have the old testament experience she's always wanted 
Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 270):
So when government workers were illegally issuing marriage licenses to same sex couples did you ask why they weren't in prison?

I think we can use our brains to tell the difference between people who are trying to move the country forward, and knuckle draggers like Kim Davis and Huckabee who are trying to do the reverse. If we listened to those who choose the christian lifestyle we'd still be denying women's suffrage, evolution (many still do), freedom for slaves, interracial marriage, and who knows what else cuz teh bibul.
I don't take responsibility at all

tommy1808

Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:10 pm

Next round I guess...

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0RI2FS20150918

best regards
Thomas

Dreadnought

Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:52 pm

Just sayin'...
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

ltbewr

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Looks like she will be arrested. Again. By Federal Agents. I just hope the gun toting nut jobs and RW's like Huckabee don't show up at the clerk's office looking for a fight I wish the Governor could use some emergency powers, like if the clerk was dead or physically/mentally incapacitated, to appoint someone to replace or take over Davis's duties. The County Clerk has many other duties besides marriage licenses that require her full authority that cannot be severed from them.

910A

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:16 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 316):
Just sayin'...

Just silly..one doesn't have anything to do with the other. One is an absolute right and the firearm right isn't.

Maverick623

Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:58 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 317):
I wish the Governor could use some emergency powers

He could call in a special session of the Legislature, where they could immediately start impeachment proceedings, but he has thus far refused to do so. While I saw his point while the courts were doing their thing, the time has come for that tyrant to be removed from office.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 317):
I just hope the gun toting nut jobs and RW's like Huckabee don't show up at the clerk's office looking for a fight

They won't. Ultra-right-wing nutjobs will often talk a big game, but not in over a century have they actually taken violent action as a group of more than a few against the government. If anything does go down, it turns out to be 1-3 people who launch a guerrilla-style attack on a landmark, and they are quickly dispatched.

Quoting 910A (Reply 318):

Just silly..one doesn't have anything to do with the other. One is an absolute right and the firearm right isn't.

Have you tried marrying your mother lately? Or your first cousin in a number of states? Or multiple people at once?

Tell me more about how marriage is an "absolute" right, as opposed to owning guns.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

einsteinboricua

Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:40 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 319):
where they could immediately start impeachment proceedings, but he has thus far refused to do so.

He's doing the state a favor. Impeachment won't get far with a GOP led Senate (where she would be convicted); the current make up of the legislature will probably not even consider changing the law to allow clerks to opt out (if KY's other clerks have no qualms, why would this one? All would be well if she allows her deputies to fill in her shoes). So why call into session the legislature when no concrete result will emerge?

Tell me more about how marriage is an "absolute" right, as opposed to owning guns.

It isn't an absolute right (it's not explicitly stated in the Constitution). However, why wouldn't it be a right? It should be something that should be accessible to all. Two adults, regardless of gender, want to join their lives. Why wouldn't they be allowed to reap the benefits it brings?

seb146

Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:12 am

Quoting 910A (Reply 318):

There are limits to whom one can marry. Anyone can own a gun.

Mir

Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:38 am

Just sayin'...

Remember, just because the DC gun ban was struck down doesn't mean other cities' bans were struck down. And the legislatures of those cities would have to actually repeal the bans as well, otherwise they remain in effect regardless of any court ruling. Point being: those officials are within their rights.

I think that's how that particular brand of conservative logic applies.

Seriously, though, if you can find an example of people being denied gun permits in clear violation of court rulings, post them and I'll criticize those involved. But I haven't seen any of them.

They won't. Ultra-right-wing nutjobs will often talk a big game, but not in over a century have they actually taken violent action as a group of more than a few against the government. If anything does go down, it turns out to be 1-3 people who launch a guerrilla-style attack on a landmark, and they are quickly dispatched.

The Cliven Bundy crowd certainly took violent action against the government recently.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Dreadnought

Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:59 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 322):
And the legislatures of those cities would have to actually repeal the bans as well, otherwise they remain in effect regardless of any court ruling. Point being: those officials are within their rights.

Ah, so in the case of this clerk, since the state legislature has not changed the law, the court ruling is not yet in effect, is that what you are saying?

You sound a bit selective...
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

seb146

Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:16 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 323):
since the state legislature has not changed the law, the court ruling is not yet in effect, is that what you are saying?

Federal equality laws trump state laws not in effect. I know you are arguing off topic, but carry on.

MaverickM11

Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:17 am

Just sayin'...

One of these things kills tens of thousands of people per year and is a huge public health hazard. Betcha can't guess which one... Also has the Supreme Court ruled on city gun bans? Lastly is this legitimately an issue or is it like the war on christians/cops that only exists in republicans' heads because they no longer can be nasty to people without being (occasionally) caught

Quoting Mir (Reply 322):
Seriously, though, if you can find an example of people being denied gun permits in clear violation of court rulings, post them and I'll criticize those involved. But I haven't seen any of them.

Mir

Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:10 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 323):
Ah, so in the case of this clerk, since the state legislature has not changed the law, the court ruling is not yet in effect, is that what you are saying?

Actually, it's what you said:

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 19):
But her interpretation of the state's policy (not law - KY has not passed any law recognizing gay marriage) and how she chooses to follow them, I think she is within her rights.
Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 19):
Unless you can prove that she is refusing to follow the law (as passed by the KY legislature), you'll have a hard time forcing her out.
Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 25):
What law, passed by the legislature, is she breaking?

If you think that a court ruling means nothing without legislative approval, I don't see how you could oppose a clerk refusing to issue gun licenses in violation of a court ruling if the legislature refuses to repeal gun restrictions.

-Mir

Maverick623

Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:19 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 322):

The Cliven Bundy crowd certainly took violent action against the government recently.

No, they threatened to take violent action. Only a few actually pointed a gun at BLM agents; and I hope they know how lucky they are to still be breathing.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Mir

Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:43 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 327):
No, they threatened to take violent action. Only a few actually pointed a gun at BLM agents

Resisting law enforcement at gunpoint certainly qualifies as violent in my book.

-Mir

seb146

Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:52 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 327):
they threatened to take violent action. Only a few actually pointed a gun at BLM agents

And those who pointed guns at federal agents: how many were arrested?

That is not even the issue. The issue is: why does one woman in Kentucky get to decide for the entire nation which two consenting adults can sign state issued contracts?

bgm

Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:29 pm

The drama continues...

Quote:
Four couples have asked a US judge to order Kentucky clerk Kim Davis to reissue their marriage licences after she altered them to remove her name.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34331759

casinterest

Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:42 pm

Quoting bgm (Reply 330):
The drama continues...

Quote:Four couples have asked a US judge to order Kentucky clerk Kim Davis to reissue their marriage licences after she altered them to remove her name.http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34331759

If only the state of Kentucky would do what is in their power to do......
Guess we get to watch the popcorn until January.
Where ever you go, there you are.

MaverickM11

Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:03 pm

Quoting luckyone (Reply 60):
Ms. Davis is a Democrat.

Good news! The knuckle dragging troll found her true klan:

Clerk Kim Davis switching parties to become a Republican

http://news.yahoo.com/clerk-kim-davi...s-become-republican-063230989.html

einsteinboricua

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:58 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 332):
Clerk Kim Davis switching parties to become a Republican

She claims the Democrat party left here. Spoken like a true Dixiecrat: if a party decides to treat everyone fairly, that's bad. Only she is entitled to fair treatment.

I'd like to see people defending the Republican Party. A party that openly embraces a person like this has no moral standing to tell us what's right. But then again, when has that stopped its leaders from doing so anyway?

DIRECTFLT

Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:58 pm

Pope Francis told Kim Davis ‘Thank you for your courage’ at private meeting

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...im-davis-courage-article-1.2379335

Pope Francis secretly met with controversial Kentucky clerk Kim Davis, the Vatican confirmed Wednesday, and he urged her to “stay strong.”

“Thank you for your courage," Davis quoted the pope as saying during the Sept. 24 meeting at the Vatican embassy in Washington, D.C.

“I was crying. I had tears coming out of my eyes," Davis told ABC News.

“I put my hand out and he reached and he grabbed it, and I hugged him and he hugged me.”

A rep for the Vatican acknowledged the meeting occurred, but said it was “private” and refused to discuss detail.

I wonder who Obama has "private" meetings with outside the White House.....
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

luckyone

Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 334):

A bit ironic considering many protestant denominations believe Catholics will go to Hell. Will be hilarious to watch the political preachers clamor for this one, especially after they've spent quite a bit of time denouncing the pope's comments.

bgm

Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:16 pm

The Vatican has defended the Pope's meeting with Kim Davis, a Kentucky official jailed for refusing to issue licences for same sex marriages.

In a statement, it said the exchange should not be seen as an endorsement of her position.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34425450

Oops  

Tugger

Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:19 pm

Quoting luckyone (Reply 335):
A bit ironic considering many protestant denominations believe Catholics will go to Hell.

It is somewhat of a repudiation of her own religious beliefs actually, as she is seeking guidance and counsel of a religious leader that specifically does not endorse her beliefs and in fact is contrary to them.

But as we can see from her life and all the constant changes she makes, she is a lost soul at best, wandering around trying to figure out what she is "supposed to do". She appears to really just be seeking approval for herself and her life. So I am not surprised.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

mt99
Topic Author

Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:56 pm

My religion tells me t

Quoting bgm (Reply 336):
In a statement, it said the exchange should not be seen as an endorsement of her position.

That is nothing..

I am floored

The video is incredibe

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/10/02/pope-francis-reportedly-met-with-a-same-sex-couple-the-day-before-he-met-with-kim-davis/

http://gawker.com/the-pope-hung-out-...-gay-man-the-day-before-1734286257

[Edited 2015-10-02 11:57:05]

[Edited 2015-10-02 11:57:20]
Step into my office, baby

luckyone

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:16 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 337):

Even stranger is she apparently is a *former* Catholic who views the Pope's support as a "validation." So if I have it correct, his religion wasn't enough to save or in her words "transform" her (or was it from Catholicism she needed transforming???) but he can certainly be a validation. This woman's life is more convoluted and twisted than a Stevie Nicks song.

Tugger

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:58 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 339):
his woman's life is more convoluted and twisted than a Stevie Nicks song.

I want to ask her why her view on God and her faith/beliefs/religion is more malleable than her view of marriage. I mean I thought she was firm in her belief, in her faith and she would not abandon that. Wasn't that what her act was all about?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

tommy1808

Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:24 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 339):
Even stranger is she apparently is a *former* Catholic who views the Pope's support as a "validation.

there is no such thing as a former catholic. She could convert to islam, join IS, behead children all day long... she'd still be Catholic.

Best regards
Thomas

flipdewaf

Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:44 am

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 341):
there is no such thing as a former catholic. She could convert to islam, join IS, behead children all day long... she'd still be Catholic.

She's whatever she wants to be, if she was a catholic and is no longer a catholic then she is a former catholic.

"It's ok to discriminate based on sexuality" says man in a dress.

Fred

tommy1808

Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:23 am

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 342):
She's whatever she wants to be, if she was a catholic and is no longer a catholic then she is a former catholic.

not for the Catholic Church and therefore not for the pope.

Best regards
Thomas

ltbewr

Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:58 am

Persons in authority in government may have to make decisions that best for their citizens and residents but may be against the beliefs of religious groups.

Yesterday, California Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill allowing legal assisted end of life. It has several points that one must met to be able to use it. The Governor was at one time studying for the Catholic Priesthood (Jesuit), this law was very much objected to by the Roman Catholic Church, but in the end, Governor Brown realized a well written law was the really right and moral decision for majority. There were several well publicized cases in the state of those with painful terminal diseases who couldn't get access to assisted termination of life, with at least one going to Oregon to do so as they had a law there.

einsteinboricua

Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:57 am

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but could it be that the Pope really had no idea who she was and was set up?

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 343):
not for the Catholic Church and therefore not for the pope.

The Crown (UK monarchy) also considers you a Catholic for life. I was baptized as one but there's no paperwork to prove it (which is ironic considering that the whole premise of faith is believing without seeing) and I have long since abandoned religion altogether. You can sort of say I lucked out.

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 342):

"It's ok to discriminate based on sexuality" says man in a dress.
Quoting ltbewr (Reply 344):
Persons in authority in government may have to make decisions that best for their citizens and residents but may be against the beliefs of religious groups.

And that it exactly what the religious folks don't get: if you're not going to make use of it and if the state is not forcing you to do it, why is it any of your concern? Don't like gay marriage? Don't marry a person of the same sex. Simple. Don't think people should die with dignity? If you're not going to support them, why is it any of your business?

tommy1808

Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:46 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 345):
The Crown (UK monarchy) also considers you a Catholic for life. I was baptized as one but there's no paperwork to prove it

What happened? Church burned down? As an atheist I prefer the Catholic hell.... lol

best regards
Thomas

einsteinboricua

Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:36 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 346):
What happened? Church burned down?

I was 12 when I chose to be baptized (had been in Catholic school since Kindergarten). The priest who baptized me was a missionary so he's never in the same place twice. I was baptized on a Saturday and Sunday he was off to another place. We didn't have any paperwork signed or registered so in the eyes of the Church I'm a nobody. Back then I was enthusiastic about fulfilling the sacraments, yet a deacon at school put a stop to that and told me that because I could show no proof of being baptized I could not continue with the process. I had been kinda questioning whether to proceed and that right there opened my eyes to everything: believing without seeing only applies to when they don't want to be questioned; otherwise, visible proof or nothing at all.

tommy1808

Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:02 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 347):
believing without seeing only applies to when they don't want to be questioned; otherwise, visible proof or nothing at all.

Actually under canonic law one eye witness would do if no record has been made in the baptismal register.

But hey, we are talking about the same catholic church that accepts the theory of evolution as true, but still maintains the Adam and Eve bs, despite the first meaning that they never existed........ religion and logic are somewhat mutually exclusive.

best regards
Thomas