Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DIRECTFLT

RE: The Migrant Crisis And The Little Syrian Boy

Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:44 pm

Yes, it's gripping image allright. But what about all of the gripping images of the hundreds of men, women, and children, murdered and maimed, every day, day after day, by sectarian violence across the globe. The world is at War, and we do our best to live like it's Peace Time ...

frostyj

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:44 pm

What I don't understand is why the UK is making a fuss NOW just because of one photo? This happens on a daily basis.

I don't think it should be up to us to solve the problems of a foreign far away country. None of these people have thought about the implications of taking onboard hundreds of thousands of poor people.

[Edited 2015-09-04 08:47:54]

Luftfahrer

Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:24 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 49):
however they don't want to come here because we have high unemployment

We may have lower unemployment but we still have millions out of work and many working less hours than they desire to. The majority of these people has at least some kind of education and, most importantly, language skills. Industrial associations reckon that two thirds of migrants have no skills and a large part can't even read or write. The truth is: There are no jobs for these people here!!! Our social system is headed toward collapse if we keep taking them in. Last news is they're now moving towards Austria (and then Germany) on foot even though Hungary has provided them with food and shelter. This makes them invaders, plain and simple. We must not allow them to cross our borders.

scbriml

Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:59 pm

Quoting frostyj (Reply 51):
What I don't understand is why the UK is making a fuss NOW just because of one photo?

As explained above, you can simply ignore it until an image of real horror is seen. Then you can't unsee it.

Quoting frostyj (Reply 51):
I don't think it should be up to us to solve the problems of a foreign far away country.

Hilarious. You do know we played a significant part in creating those problems, don't you?   

Flaps

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:24 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 34):
the same could have been don with Iraq if the US people had the guts to stay the required length of time to do the job properly.

You can delete the word people and you would have a totally valid point. The US people had nothing to with any of the above. A weak and corrupt US government yes but not the US people. Anyone who still thinks after the past decade that the US people have any real say in the policies and practices of their "government" has their head jammed firmly in the sand.

Kiwirob

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:50 pm

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 48):
I think this civil war will continue until Assad is severely weakened, then for the sake of stability, all "foreign parties" would be more likely to agree to a "joint occupation" to rebuild Syria without the nut jobs running around with weapons and beheading people.

Russia is supporting Assad, Assad is the only one really fighting ISIL in Syria, Russia has an interest in making sure these guys don't win.

Quoting Flaps (Reply 54):
The US people had nothing to with any of the above. A weak and corrupt US government yes but not the US people.

Isn't it a government of the people, by the people, for the people?

Quoting scbriml (Reply 53):
As explained above, you can simply ignore it until an image of real horror is seen. Then you can't unsee it.

Having grown up during the 80's I'm now mostly immune to images like this, we were force fed images of starving and dying children in Africa for years, they no longer make much of a dent. It's sad and I blame the media over exposure for it.

Flaps

Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:00 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 55):
Isn't it a government of the people, by the people, for the people?

Once upon a time it was....Slow steady decline from WW2 to the Borg collective we live in today.

pvjin

Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:06 pm

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=02c_1441365239

Unbelievable... "Refugees" like this deserve a trip to Libya on board a cargo ship.

Flighty

Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:19 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 34):
Both occupations turned Germany and Japan into good international citizens, the same could have been don with Iraq if the US people had the guts to stay the required length of time to do the job properly.

Interesting theory, and the opposite theory goes that Germany and Japan were highly cultivated, law abiding societies with fantastic skills, and a tradition of fine government. Once their ruling parties were gone, they were suitable to be rich countries.

Iraq too has those traditions, but it was thousands of years ago. But generally I agree with your condemnation of the invasion.

tommy1808

Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:24 pm

Quoting zkojq (Reply 25):
Also, the absolute and relative distributions of where they are going is interesting (this was for last year):

Germany is taking 800.000 or 1000 per 100k citizens in this year. This is the current planning number.

And, quite suprising to me, most people here seem to be ok with that or flat out support it. For example by taking toys and stuff to refugee accommodations to actually taking them in at home.

Best regards
Thomas

Luftfahrer

Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:49 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 57):

This makes me sick to my stomach. They're the most shameless people I have ever seen, along with those that rejected care packages in Macedonia because they were coming from the Red Cross. Actually I don't wonder anymore why their country is in a shambles; the answer is right here. No doubt they will cause more trouble once they have moved further west. This is a nightmare becoming reality.

frostyj

Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:56 pm

Who do they think they are? Get out if your going to come here and take advantage of us.

kevin

Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:18 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 23):
Why should they have a "stand on this" at all.

None of it is there making. None.

Unfortunately we (the west) only have ourselves to blame for this mess.

So the fact that Qatar and Saudi have been suspected to finance ISIS and Taliban and a whole bunch of other "organizations" who are the reason why these people are running from their countries doesn't matter?

prebennorholm

Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:28 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 53):
You do know we played a significant part in creating those problems, don't you?

Wrong! Just like Chamberlain wasn't responsible for the rise of nazi rule in Germany, then you can't blame the misery in ME on "us" or modern day politicians.

Sometimes some of our politicians have misinterpreted the magnitude of the ME misery, but that doesn't make them creators of the misery.

SOBHI51

Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:30 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 55):
Assad is the only one really fighting ISIL in Syria,

Absolute BS he never fired a shot at them, his planes didn't raid them once, in a matter of fact you will find that all the ground gained by ISIS in Syria was more or less given as a gift to them as the Syrian army keep on withdrawing even before ISIS get there. Also in the latest fights ISIS keep on joining indirectly the Syrian army in there fights against the opposition.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 45):
Does that include the ones that were thrown overboard by the muslim migrants on the boat because they were Christian?Because that has happened more than once.

Not heard of this before, can you prove it?

Kiwirob

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:05 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 64):
Absolute BS he never fired a shot at them

Google it there's plenty of articles stating the opposite.

Either way I think he only solution is occupation by a greater power.

Not heard of this before, can you prove it?
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/16/eu...rants-christians-thrown-overboard/

Acheron

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:11 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 3):
Simply letting the middle east try to solve its own issues doesn't seem to be working anymore. It's becoming a Europe issue now.

It became a NATO issue the moment you lot thought it was a good idea to bomb Lybia, Syria and Iraq, and to give weapons to islamic fundamentalism savages.

They really haven't let them solve their own issues because there is always a NATO country that can't help but meddle in the region, or give money to others to do the meddling for them.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 6):
Now risking their lives and the ones of small children to go from a safe place to a safe but richer place, I have issues with.

Turkey isn't exactly safe if you are running from ISIS.

pvjin

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:12 pm

Absolute BS he never fired a shot at them, his planes didn't raid them once, in a matter of fact you will find that all the ground gained by ISIS in Syria was more or less given as a gift to them as the Syrian army keep on withdrawing even before ISIS get there. Also in the latest fights ISIS keep on joining indirectly the Syrian army in there fights against the opposition.

According to whom, Saudi and Western media? When it comes to news regarding Syrian conflict Russia Today is probably the most reliable source for real.

Without Assad and Putin all of Syria would be under control of ISIS by now. The "opposition" in Syria is just bunch of thugs and not a credible force at all. I've seen plenty of these FSA soldiers on Liveleak and Youtube, bearded poorly equipped men who constantly shout "allahu akbar" just like those in ISIS and nothing like a proper professional army.

If "the opposition" somehow managed to get rid of Assad we would be probably looking at something like the situation in Libya now, a mess where a number of different rebel groups fight each other until ISIS eats the whole cake.

The conflict in Syria will end only if the current government seizes control and kicks all Islamists/fake democracy forces out.

[Edited 2015-09-04 15:32:25]

SOBHI51

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:32 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 67):
and nothing like a proper professional army.

Those unprofessional army, not including ISIS, control more ground than the professional Syrian army helped by Hezbollah,Iranian and Iraqi forces, and thousand of military soviet advisors .

The conflict in Syria will end only if the current government seizes control and kicks all Islamists/fake democracy forces out.

The revolution in Syria started with people going in the streets looking for freedom, Assad government is the most cruel, corrupt and innefective in the world. There was 5 secret service organization. People were thrown in prison for no reason and no court hearings, you couldn't start any project in Syria without giving 25 to percent of the project to an Assad family member, check the wealth of Assad family.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 65):
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/16/eu...rants-christians-thrown-overboard/

Was referring to Syrians not Africans.

According to whom, Saudi and Western media? When it comes to news regarding Syrian conflict Russia Today is probably the most reliable source for real.

Russia is one of the strongest supporters of the Syrian regime, do you think i will trust Russia today news outlet?

Acheron

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:45 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 68):
Those unprofessional army, not including ISIS, control more ground than the professional Syrian army helped by Hezbollah,Iranian and Iraqi forces, and thousand of military soviet advisors .

Thousands of military soviet advisors?

Last time I checked, the Soviet Union stopped existing around 24 years ago.

And I doubt

The revolution in Syria started with people going in the streets looking for freedom, Assad government is the most cruel, corrupt and innefective in the world.

LOL, pot, kettle, black. As if your own country isn't rife with corruption and ineffectiveness...

People were thrown in prison for no reason and no court hearings, you couldn't start any project in Syria without giving 25 to percent of the project to an Assad family member, check the wealth of Assad family.

Hmmm, sounds familiar...

Quote:

Badawi was arrested in 2012 in the city of Jeddah, and later sentenced to seven years in jail and 600 lashes for setting up the website "Free Saudi Liberals" and for allegedly insulting Islam.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/0...logger-badawi-150607101956747.html

Plus I'm sure the House of Saud wealth is totally legitimate. Seriously...

Russia is one of the strongest supporters of the Syrian regime, do you think i will trust Russia today news outlet?

On my part, I'd trust the Russians before I'd trust anything by the Saudis.
At least you know that if you mess with the russians, they are going to mess you up. The House of Saud will backstab you while shaking hands with you.

777way

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:52 pm

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 60):
along with those that rejected care packages in Macedonia because they were coming from the Red Cross.

Had nothing to do with the cross, they opposed it to protest mistreatment or their demands not being heard, was clarified by someone in the other refugee crisis thread.

pvjin

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:52 pm

They get fancy stuff from the west, that sure helps.

The revolution in Syria started with people going in the streets looking for freedom, Assad government is the most cruel, corrupt and innefective in the world. There was 5 secret service organization. People were thrown in prison for no reason and no court hearings, you couldn't start any project in Syria without giving 25 to percent of the project to an Assad family member, check the wealth of Assad family.

In Libya people got rid of a similar authoritarian government and now years later Libya is still in middle of a civil war and about to get overrun by ISIS or related organizations. Why would the situation in Syria after Assad be any better? Logically thinking it would be even worse as the very core areas of ISIS have a direct land connection to Syria.

While I don't agree with throwing political dissidents into jails I think a great portion of Middle East's population is in significant need of some quality mental healthcare and re-education behind locked doors. People who think their religion is an absolute truth and something laws should be based on are nutjobs who should be kept away from reasonable people.

It's either Assad style rather secular totalitarianism or Islamic totalitarianism. I very much prefer the first option, democracy isn't on the menu here. And let's not forget that your country throws people into jail for being homosexual or abandoning their religion, so I really I can't see how Assad is at all any worse than the Saudi regime. In fact when it comes to religion Assad is much more tolerant than the Saudi totalitarian regime, there's a reason why Syrian Christians generally support him.

The past events in Iraq and Libya should make it absolutely clear that there's no chance whatsoever that Assad's fall would result in peace and successful, democratic society in Syria any time soon. The cultural and religious diversity of these artificial Arab states tears them apart if there isn't a dictator who keeps everyone in strict order.

Because of these facts I wish for the victory of the least bad option for Syria's future, and that's Assad's secular authoritarian rule.

SOBHI51

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Quoting Acheron (Reply 69):
Last time I checked, the Soviet Union stopped existing around 24 years ago

Smart, you got me,excellent job well done.
Russian, Soviets same.

As if your own country isn't rife with corruption and ineffectiveness..

I am from Syrian origins.

On my part, I'd trust the Russians

Your choice, from my part i don't trust them.
I get my news from Syria itself.

The House of Saud will backstab you while shaking hands with you.

Really, have you ever dealt with them, or you are making accusations as you go?

777way

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:55 pm

LOL, pot, kettle, black. As if your own country isn't rife with corruption and ineffectiveness...

Newsflash! he is Syrian origin whos become a Saudi citizen..

Acheron

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:05 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 72):

So, he just traded a secular regime for a theocratic royalty one. Hooray...so much for caring about freedom, corruption and whatnot.

Reminds me of the Cuban "dissidents" who would "fight" for the "freedom" of their fellow cubans and against the murderous cuban regime...from Miami...while putting bombs in planes and Hotels....
At least it wasn't religious.

On the other hand, defending Saudi Arabia's actions as if they stem from some sort of bastion of freedom, tolerance and democracy in the Middle East?
Sure thing.

Really, have you ever dealt with them, or you are making accusations as you go?

It just takes a hard, long look at Middle East history after the fall of the Ottoman Empire.

Remember when King Saud tried to assassinate Nasser because the former preferred to spread his backwards version of Islam?

[Edited 2015-09-04 16:06:47]

SOBHI51

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:06 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 71):
They get fancy stuff from the west, that sure helps.

Syrian army have complete control of the skies the west refuses to send the SFA any antiaircraft arms. Fancy not really.

Quoting pvjin (Reply 71):
Because of these facts I wish for the victory of the least bad option for Syria's future, and that's Assad's secular authoritarian rule.

If you are so much in love with Assad regime why don't you move there? 80% of the Syrian population don't want him, so i doubt if your opinion will mean anything to them.

One more time, i am from Syrian origin, my family escaped Syria after the Baath party got control of that beautiful country.
Have you ever heard of a regime nationalize the education country. Syria before the Assad regime did have the higher of educated population in the area, now the majority of Syrians can hardly speak a second language?
Do you know that dishes were not allowed in Syria for 10 years so we can not see foreign channels?

I could go on and on and unless you lived in Syria and went through what Syrian did have to do to survive or suffered as they did, you can't give an unbiased opinion.

SOBHI51

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:20 pm

Quoting Acheron (Reply 74):

I am defending the right of Syrians for freedom and democracy, you keep involving KSA, because you have no backround on what is happening in Syria and find no proper response.
I am honored to be a Saudi because the Syrian regime kicked myself and my family out of the country.

Remember when King Saud tried to assassinate Nasser because the former preferred to spread his backwards version of Islam?

No remind me, and suddenly the west is in love with Nasser?

It just takes a hard, long look at Middle East history after the fall of the Ottoman Empire.

What i don't understand is when people who never visited a country, never tried to mix with people of that country and they think they can pass judjment How many Syrians you know? How many Saudi's also?

Quoting 777way (Reply 73):

I am sure they read my previous postings, it was not something i am ashamed of on the contrary. so it was not like you got some help from the Pakistani secret service to get this information, your newsflash is nothing but a rag.

Acheron

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:24 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 75):
Syrian army have complete control of the skies the west refuses to send the SFA any antiaircraft arms. Fancy not really.

You can only do so much without precision weapons.

One more time, i am from Syrian origin, my family escaped Syria after the Baath party got control of that beautiful country.

So, you are indeed like the cuban exiles. "Fighting" for the "freedom" of others from abroad.

Shocking. /s

80% of the Syrian population don't want him, so i doubt if your opinion will mean anything to them.

No one with 80% of the country against them last as long as Assad has, specially in the situation he is facing.

But hey, I'm sure you polled all of them yourself as well.

SOBHI51

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:28 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 57):

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=02c_1441365239

Unbelievable... "Refugees" like this deserve a trip to Libya on board a cargo ship.

According to the young man who took the video it was not because of the red cross, you can see there is no red cross on the water bottles, but to protest the inhuman way they were treated at the border.
http://www.liberation.fr/politiques/...de-la-nourriture-non-halal_1375138

Acheron

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:31 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 76):
I am defending the right of Syrians for freedom and democracy
I am honored to be a Saudi

So, you want the Syrians to enjoy "freedom" and "democracy" while at the same time you feel proud of being a naturalized citizen of a country that offers neither of those things to it's own.

Meanwhile, supporting groups that enslave women, burn people alive for being the wrong brand of islam and hellbent on destroying anything they might deem unislamic

Ok.

No remind me, and suddenly the west is in love with Nasser?

Hindsight is 20/20. But then again, the west has always made stupid choices particularly when the other option involved agreeing with the Soviet Union in any way, shape or form.

What i don't understand is when people who never visited a country, never tried to mix with people of that country and they think they can pass judjment How many Syrians you know?

Fun fact: I come from a place with a gigantic Syrian and Lebanese population.

SOBHI51

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:33 pm

Quoting Acheron (Reply 77):
Shocking. /s

Shocking that i want other members of my immediate family to live in freedom?
Sorry but the way you think is really the real shock.

Quoting Acheron (Reply 77):
You can only do so much without precision weapons.

And they are winning because they have the people with them.

SOBHI51

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:38 pm

Quoting Acheron (Reply 79):
So, you want the Syrians to enjoy "freedom" and "democracy" while at the same time you feel proud of being a naturalized citizen of a country that offers neither of those things to it's own

Simply put, yes.

Meanwhile, supporting groups that enslave women, burn people alive for being the wrong brand of islam and hellbent on destroying anything they might deem unislamic

I only support the free Syrian army, period.

Fun fact: I come from a place with a gigantic Syrian and Lebanese population.

But do you interact with them? I presume some of them are Muslims, how much do you know about there way of life?
If you do you will know that there are peaceful loving majority, no?

Acheron

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:38 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 80):
Shocking that i want other members of my immediate family to live in freedom?

So you send money and weapons to people like ISIS and Al-Nusra.

Totally makes sense!. /more sssss

Unless you really mean "Freedom from non-sunnis and infidels". Then it actually makes sense...

SOBHI51

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:43 pm

Quoting Acheron (Reply 82):
So you send money and weapons to people like ISIS and Al-Nusra.

Are you having problems reading my postings?

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 81):

i send money to help the refugees, you have a problem there?

Quoting Acheron (Reply 82):
Totally makes sense!. /more sssss

When you only read part of my postings then you come to the wrong conclusion.

777way

Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:14 am

I am sure they read my previous postings, it was not something i am ashamed of on the contrary. so it was not like you got some help from the Pakistani secret service to get this information, your newsflash is nothing but a rag.

No they arent aware you are Syrian and I thought its my duty to inform them, but since you love being Saudi its best you keep posing as that and stop mentioning your Syrian roots.

SOBHI51

Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:36 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 84):
but since you love being Saudi its best you keep posing as that and stop mentioning your Syrian roots.

Why? I can be loyal to my roots and to the country i have it's nationality. I appreciate your advice, thanks but no thanks, i am capable enough to make up my own mind.

Quoting 777way (Reply 84):
No they arent aware you are Syrian and I thought its my duty to inform them,

I did inform them in the posting just before yours.

SOBHI51

Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:45 am

Sorry double posting
Please delete.

[Edited 2015-09-04 17:46:15]

777way

Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:57 am

We posted at the same time yours got in before mine, the one informing him you are Syrian, but nobody really knows you are from there.

CaliAtenza

Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:03 am

Quoting moo (Reply 2):

The problem with this crisis is that there is a massive juxtaposition in play - on one hand you have the heart breaking imagery of the dead child being washed up on a beach, and on the other hand you have the scenes of thousands of migrants/refugees fighting Hungarian police to get on a train so they can get to Germany and the UK. They aren't satisfied with being in an EU country, they want to be in an EU country where they can earn the most amount of money illegally, get the best benefits etc etc.

When they are going through hardship to get to our shores, I have a great deal of sympathy, especially if they don't make it. But when they are camped out outside train stations and ports in EU countries just so they can get to another EU country because the one they are in already isn't "good enough", then my sympathy ends.

The BBC currently has an article on its website following the plight of a Syrian refugee making her way from Turkey (where she had been living for two years, had a legitimate job etc) through to Sweden, and its only when she gets to Sweden that she actually claims asylum - she actually professes fear that she may get caught on the trip in a country she doesn't intend to register in.

Its that mentality which people have issue with - the shopping around for best asylum conditions rather than getting to safety and being satisfied with that.

Maybe it's time the West steps up the game and fixes Syria, so these people can head home. ISIS can be taken out in short order, but what about Assad and the rest of the knunckleheads?

Classa64

Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:19 am

Quoting golfradio (Thread starter):
Another sad thing about this story is, apparently the family had tried for asylum in Canada.

Yes thousands do, are, and will continue to come here, but you cant let everyone in. There has to be that someone that looks at the big picture and says " nope that's it, no more for now" maybe that's the case here I don't know.

Its a horrific image of a dead child laying there, I saw it and it makes you sad but there is a lot of death and sadness in the world and due to the news media deciding who sees what, it seems this was a rating grabber, IMO. Every country with the means needs to help out in this issue and others, Canada has been more than generous from what I have read during a lot of matters dealing with humanitarian issues.

A332DTW

Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:45 am

It was not that long ago that my family and I were refugees, so I will not put too much of my emotions into this post only to have someone on here use it to twist words to suit their own agenda.

It is a classic double edge sword. On one hand you have legitimate refugees who are trying to find the most ideal place to call home. On the other hand you have Europe that is not in the best economic state. It is a perplexing problem that has a lot of emotion attached to it due to the shear magnitude of what has transpired over the last 5 years, once again for the world to stand by and watch. What can the world do? Nothing. It is too late.

Acheron

Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:01 am

Simply put, yes.

That's what I find bothersome about "freedom fighters". Lack of consistency it because doesn't suit them.

Which is why I'm a bit suspect of the type of "freedom" and "democracy" you want for Syria. Out of curiosity, was you family afilliated with the MB in any way?.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 83):
Are you having problems reading my postings?

Same difference, in the end.

Remember this?.

Quote:
US-BACKED 'MODERATE' FREE SYRIAN ARMY FACTIONS JOIN ISIS TERROR GROUP
http://www.breitbart.com/national-se...s-join-islamic-state-terror-group/

You'd think for a group that apparently has support of 80% of the population, they'd have more than 50.000 soldiers and hold more ground than ISIS or even Assad...

But do you interact with them? I presume some of them are Muslims, how much do you know about there way of life?

Several of my college classmates were syrians, as well as one of the best teachers I had during my career, for starters.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 85):
Why? I can be loyal to my roots and to the country i have it's nationality. I appreciate your advice, thanks but no thanks, i am capable enough to make up my own mind.

I'm of the opinion that once you leave a country instead of staying and fighting for whatever change you want, you lose the right to talk or meddle in that country's issue.

Didn't have the balls to stay?. Then shut up.
Same goes for any groups of exiled people.

It is easy to talk smack from far away and let others do the fighting so you just leisurely can catch a plane and try to bask in other people's effort and blood when it's all over.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 83):
i send money to help the refugees, you have a problem there?

How about you instead try to lobby the powers that be to take some of the syrian refugees to Saudi Arabia?

That is, if lobbying for that won't get your sorta-freedom-loving-bottom jailed in freedom-loving KSA.

777way

Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:35 am

Quoting Acheron (Reply 91):
I'm of the opinion that once you leave a country instead of staying and fighting for whatever change you want, you lose the right to talk or meddle in that country's issue.

Does this apply to people who were asked to leave or even had to flee to save themselves?

SOBHI51

Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:41 am

Which is why I'm a bit suspect of the type of "freedom" and "democracy" you want for Syria. Out of curiosity, was you family afilliated with the MB in any way?.

The type of freedom i want is simple, Syrians can go to bed without fear of the 5am visitors. Freedom not having to share my income from a project with a member of the Assad family. Freedom that if i am arrested for a reason or another that i can contact my family and my lawyer and not spend years in prison without even going through courts.

As for MB, absolutely no. If you read my postings you will know that i hate MB to the bones.

Didn't have the balls to stay?. Then shut up.

I will not shut up, you can not make me, but to answer your question i was 9 years old at the time.

It is easy to talk smack from far away and let others do the fighting so you just leisurely can catch a plane and try to bask in other people's effort and blood when it's all over.

I have no interest in this conflict than to see Syrian people living freely, don't have any plans going there or bask in anybody's sacrifices.

That's what I find bothersome about "freedom fighters". Lack of consistency it because doesn't suit them.

Your problem not mine, will not loose any sleep because it bothers you.

Several of my college classmates were syrians, as well as one of the best teachers I had during my career, for starters.

My question was did you interact with them? did you managed to know there way of life, there religion?

scbriml

Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:02 am

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 63):
Wrong!

So the West had NOTHING to do with the present situations in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and Libya? Right. Seems to me we're directly responsible.   

mandala499

Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:20 am

I am disappointed that this topic has become a middle east A v B v C bashing ground again...

Let's see what Libya and Syria will become if the situation continues...
At best we'll see something like Lebanese civil war (1975-1990), which ironically ended with Syrian occupation that ended in 2005... and also Israeli occupation of southern Lebanon at times too. Looks like Syria is having karma imposed upon them.

The other alternative is that we see a Somalia like situation (civil war since 1986 till today), where the seat of power changes hands, while you have other setting up "other countries" within such as Somaliland and Puntland... this is probably more likely for Iraq and Libya rather than Syria...

It seems that history keeps repeating itself... and we hear the same rhetoric from all sides and foreign powers, just different mouths saying it.

Kiwirob

Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:59 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 93):

The type of freedom i want is simple, Syrians can go to bed without fear of the 5am visitors. Freedom not having to share my income from a project with a member of the Assad family. Freedom that if i am arrested for a reason or another that i can contact my family and my lawyer and not spend years in prison without even going through courts.

Those very freedoms you want for Syria you don't have in KSA?

pvjin

Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:23 am

Sending AA weaponry there isn't exactly a good idea if you don't want to see some commercial airliners getting shot down in Europe of nearby future. There's no guarantee whatsoever that they wouldn't end up in hands of ISIS who could pretty easily smuggle them over the Mediterranean.

Though of course ISIS might already have AA weaponry captured from Syrian or Iraqi army, but still adding even more of those in the area isn't a good idea.

If you are so much in love with Assad regime why don't you move there? 80% of the Syrian population don't want him, so i doubt if your opinion will mean anything to them.

And later in life you've decided to move to KSA, one of the least free, democratic and most oppressive regimes in the world? Go figure. I would sure choose Assad's Syria over KSA if the war ended, at least I wouldn't have to hire a driver for my future wife.

I could go on and on and unless you lived in Syria and went through what Syrian did have to do to survive or suffered as they did, you can't give an unbiased opinion.

I would like to ask an average Syrian, not somebody who fled from there already a long time ago. As an example think about Cuba, you sure won't get an unbiased opinion from a political dissident living in Miami.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 78):
According to the young man who took the video it was not because of the red cross, you can see there is no red cross on the water bottles, but to protest the inhuman way they were treated at the border.
http://www.liberation.fr/politiques/...de-la-nourriture-non-halal_1375138

They should be grateful for the fact we let them inside and give them water and food. It's not like they have paid us or given us anything of value in return for our humanity. I sure know Arab countries wouldn't tolerate a flood of European refugees behaving like that, in fact they would probably use their navies to sink all our boats before we would even reach land.

SOBHI51

Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:27 am

Quoting pvjin (Reply 97):
And later in life you've decided to move to KSA, one of the least free, democratic and most oppressive regimes in the world?

It's where i found a job, a future, managed to raise a family, was treated with respect. What else do i need? Got the nationality as a reward for my services. While the Assad regime took over 6 months to renew my passport. My life, my choice.

Quoting pvjin (Reply 97):
I would like to ask an average Syrian

Who's stopping you? Ask, as you said there is a flood of refugees in your country, get up from your chair and go to them.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 96):
Those very freedoms you want for Syria you don't have in KSA?

Trust me, if you live your life properly in KSA nobody will bother you, living under Assad is a nightmare, even if you are just visiting, you are humiliated from the moment you leave the plane, till you are back on the plane.

pvjin

Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:52 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 98):
It's where i found a job, a future, managed to raise a family, was treated with respect. What else do i need? Got the nationality as a reward for my services. While the Assad regime took over 6 months to renew my passport. My life, my choice.

Yea whatever, just realize that many other people in your current home country aren't as privileged as you are by being a male Sunni Muslim and not part of any oppressed minority.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 98):
Trust me, if you live your life properly in KSA nobody will bother you,

Yes, as long as you aren't a member of sexual, political or religious minority and accept severe violations of your basic human rights, especially if you are a woman.

Most people could live properly in Nazi Germany too, which similarly to KSA oppressed religious, political and sexual minorities and saw women as caretakers of family who aren't really equal to men.

[Edited 2015-09-05 03:54:09]