Aaron747
Topic Author

Who's Going To Stop Netanyahu?

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:33 pm

Demolition orders. Improper processing of building permits. Hundreds of thousands of illegal settlers. Continuation of a scenario that leads people to further desperation, incites violence, and continues a mindless cycle of justifying a defense response. Where does it stop?

This demolition policy is absolute bonkers. Whoop dee doo...another UN report criticizing Israel. That's all they do - make reports! The UN is useless. The question is - who is going to do something about Bibi?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...buildings-west-bank-un-palestinian
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Acheron

RE: Who's Going To Stop Netanyahu?

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:39 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Thread starter):
The question is - who is going to do something about Bibi?

No one, as they will scream anti-semitism at the top of their lungs and release the hounds from the simon wiesenthal center and the anti-defamation league if some one dares to lift a finger to stop them.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:44 pm

Quoting Acheron (Reply 1):
No one, as they will scream anti-semitism at the top of their lungs

Ugh those people are so irrelevant - this is the most annoying part of all! What about Jews who are concerned about this? B'Tselem? Jews for Peace?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

seb146

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:08 pm

who is going to do something about Bibi?

The people of Israel are pretty much the only ones who can do anything. We saw how that turned out in the last elections.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Mortyman

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:38 pm

That's all they do - make reports! The UN is useless.

What do you want them to do ? As long as certain nations ( USA being the most notorious one ) are allowing Israel to continue, not wanting to do agree on stronger resolutions, then this is the way it's gonna be. The UN is only as good and effective as it's member states.

bmacleod

Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:00 pm

Biggest fear I see is Netanyahu will make Israel a bigger extremist target....one day ISIS and Hamas will gear up and somehow sneak a nuclear warhead into Tel Aviv, detonate it and unleash the Apocalypse...

[Edited 2015-09-07 15:01:13]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:15 am

Bibi can do whatever he wants with impunity unless the American people have a president that's willing to stand up for what's right & is not afraid to take the heat from the Israel lobby deeply entrenched in American politics.

If only we live in a Tom Clancy world where that could actually happen (The Sum of All Fears).
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Dreadnought

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:01 am

Quoting TheFlyingDisk (Reply 6):
If only we live in a Tom Clancy world where that could actually happen (The Sum of All Fears).

You forget a key component in the Clancy Scenario - in his book, Arab protesters inspired by the works of Gandhi and King, make a conscious and deliberate effort to renounce violence and embrace non-violent forms of protest.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

MrChips

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:08 am

Only Israelis can stop Netanyahu. The problem is that there is no appetite for change amongst his supporters in the Likud party, who tend to be (or are descendants of); a group that is, to generalise, extremely paranoid about the state and their own security - one can hardly blame them considering the conditions they fled - but the problem is that Likud has whipped this sentiment into a fervour largely to support their own ends. Added to that, Likud is beholden to a number of extreme right-wing, ultra-orthodox Jewish political parties to maintain his governing mandate; if he does anything less than stay the course, their support vanishes and his government (and likely his political career) collapses.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 7):
protesters inspired by the works of Gandhi and King, make a conscious and deliberate effort to renounce violence and embrace non-violent forms of protest.

That's hardly even possible in your average Western country, to say nothing on behalf of an already heavily persecuted group in a highly militarised country.
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

einsteinboricua

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:36 am

It only takes one coalition member to defect to bring about Netanyahu's government down and call for elections again. I wonder if Israelis would still line up with Likud though.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

TheCommodore

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:25 am

Well for a start, join the BDS movement.

Bibi and his cohorts are shit scared of this and what it could do to Israel.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 2):
What about Jews who are concerned about this? B'Tselem? Jews for Peace?

Don't you know by now that blood is thicker than water...?

They will stick together like super glue at the end of the day, always have always will !

Quoting seb146 (Reply 3):
The people of Israel are pretty much the only ones who can do anything. We saw how that turned out in the last elections.

And this is why I have been so critical of Israelis in the past. After all, a significant part of the population want things to be like they are, that's why Bibi have been voted in as PM on 3/4 separate occasions now.

Lets face it, most Israelis lake him !

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 9):
It only takes one coalition member to defect to bring about Netanyahu's government down and call for elections again. I wonder if Israelis would still line up with Likud though.

Well, they've done it 3/4 times already now.

I can't for the life of me see what Israelis see in this murderous, lying dishonest, freak ?
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

seb146

Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:09 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 10):
a significant part of the population want things to be like they are, that's why Bibi have been voted in as PM on 3/4 separate occasions now.

What is the media like in Israel? Do they say something like "freedom settlements are being built on former terrorist sites..." or do they say "Our government is building settlements on Palestinian claimed sites..."?

AA7295

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:06 pm

Absolutely disgusting! What I find shocking is that most mainstream media isn't even covering it!!

This is a gross violation of international law..... Sanctions need to be applied to Israel.

AAlaxfan

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:24 pm

Who's going to stop Hamas? Who's going to stop Putin? Who's going to stop ISIS?
Who's going to stop North Korea?

Who's going to stop Obama? Who's going to stop Clinton? or Bush, Trump, Biden, Huckabee, Huck Flynn, Tom Sawyer?

Who's going to stop Who's going to stop posts?

There are so many different sides to each and every issue. So calling on someone to stop something that's happening somewhere you don't live, in which you have no direct knowledge or any personal involvement is ..... just stop!
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

pvjin

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:35 pm

I don't see how Palestine would ever become a livable place even if Israel ceased to exist and all Jews moved elsewhere. If other Middle Eastern countries are any indication it would still be ruled by an oppressive dictatorship of some form. This is the main reason why I don't really care about Palestine, to me it's irrelevant whether world has a small Arab dictatorship called "Palestine" or not.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

Kiwirob

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:50 pm

It'll probably take someone with a sniper rifle from about 2000m or so to sort him out.

Quoting pvjin (Reply 14):
I don't see how Palestine would ever become a livable place even if Israel ceased to exist and all Jews moved elsewhere. If other Middle Eastern countries are any indication it would still be ruled by an oppressive dictatorship of some form. This is the main reason why I don't really care about Palestine, to me it's irrelevant whether world has a small Arab dictatorship called "Palestine" or not.

Arab dictatorships tend to work if they are left alone and not messed with by Western Govts in particular the US.

AAlaxfan

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:13 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 15):
Arab dictatorships tend to work if they are left alone and not messed with by Western Govts in particular the US.

Are you talking Libya ( Qaddafi), Iraq ( Hussein) or Kuwait ( U.S. involvement), Saudi Arabia ( U.S. ally)? Truth is, Rob, Arab dictatorships are dictatorships. Led by a singular person that controls every aspect of the citizens lives. That person may be a military, religious or sect/tribe leader. The only question is, are they evil or not?

BTW, Netanyahu is an elected official, with the support of the majority of the voters of Israel, his own political party, and, rival political parties, which make up the coalition majority in the Israeli Parliament.

AAlaxfan

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:17 pm

It'll probably take someone with a sniper rifle from about 2000m or so to sort him out.

Been anti-Semitic your entire life or just recently?

And before you ask, I am pro Israel. I do have issues with the handling of Palestinians. I don't have an issue with the handling of terrorists.

IADCA

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:40 pm

Quoting aalaxfan (Reply 17):

There are plenty of reasons to dislike Netanyahu without being anti-Semitic. I wouldn't endorse killing the man, but someone can have very strongly negative feelings about Netanyahu without having any antipathy towards Jewish people in general.

Kiwirob

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:45 pm

Quoting aalaxfan (Reply 16):

Are you talking Libya ( Qaddafi), Iraq ( Hussein) or Kuwait ( U.S. involvement), Saudi Arabia ( U.S. ally)? Truth is, Rob, Arab dictatorships are dictatorships. Led by a singular person that controls every aspect of the citizens lives. That person may be a military, religious or sect/tribe leader. The only question is, are they evil or not?

When they are in place they keep the crazies in check, when you remove them all hell breaks loose, I would call them a necessary evil.

So you equate the assassination of an evil scumbag of a politician, one of the worst in the world with anti semitism? It's a pretty big leap. For the record I have no issue with individual jewish people, I dislike Israel, it's a semi apartheid state, and as such is not acceptable in today's world, we sorted out South Africa, it about time we sorted out Isreal? I fail to see any link between disliking Israel making me anti semetic, it makes me anti Israel, the two are not one and the same.

777way

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 19):
So you equate the assassination of an evil scumbag of a politician, one of the worst in the world with anti semitism? It's a pretty big leap. For the record I have no issue with individual jewish people, I dislike Israel, it's a semi apartheid state, and as such is not acceptable in today's world, we sorted out South Africa, it about time we sorted out Isreal? I fail to see any link between disliking Israel making me anti semetic, it makes me anti Israel, the two are not one and the same.

I dont how these people think using the anti-semitic card is going to affect anyone, its literally become invalid and a joke here, beside sthat Nuthinyahoo could be done away with by a disgruntled Israeli Jewish person to, does that make him an anti-semite as well?

Acheron

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:36 pm

Are you talking Libya ( Qaddafi), Iraq ( Hussein

Those countries worked moderately fine until people with your train of thought came up with the idea of bombing them. Now we have ISIS, Al-Nusra and incidents like Benghazi to deal with.

If other Middle Eastern countries are any indication it would still be ruled by an oppressive dictatorship of some form.

Better an oppressive but secular dictatorship that can keep a country running fine rather than a theocratic hellhole propped up by the KSA and brought about by NATO.

The only question is, are they evil or not?

The world doesn't work like that, is not "black and white", "evil vs good", "us vs them" type of thing.

That kind of shortsightedness leads to the mess we have now, with an idiotic public opinion backing up even more idiotic policies.

All countries at some point or another have done things that could be easily defined as "evil", starting with the US and going thorugh the UK, France, Spain. All of them.

A332DTW

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:59 pm

BTW, Netanyahu is an elected official, with the support of the majority of the voters of Israel, his own political party, and, rival political parties, which make up the coalition majority in the Israeli Parliament.

So because the majority of people think it's completely OK to kick people out of what little place they have left to call home, so they can build ILLEGAL settlements, it's fine and dandy because he's an elected official. I get... terrorist organizations are totally legitimate when the majority support them.

Quoting aalaxfan (Reply 13):
There are so many different sides to each and every issue. So calling on someone to stop something that's happening somewhere you don't live, in which you have no direct knowledge or any personal involvement is ..... just stop!

This is pretty cut and dry, black and white, wholesale violation of international law and not to mention human rights.

So what? How does that make this OK? You keep saying you're not at all racist, but every time you make a post you lose the benefit of the doubt.

[Edited 2015-09-08 14:00:24]

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:56 pm

Sorry, no. Nearly anyone, myself included, brought up in a Jewish community has some element of direct knowledge and personal involvement. Arguments for/against Zionism were a regular topic at family gatherings.

Led by a singular person that controls every aspect of the citizens lives. That person may be a military, religious or sect/tribe leader.

This is anathema? Democracy is an ideal, not a one-size fits all solution to everything, everywhere.

I dislike Israel, it's a semi apartheid state, and as such is not acceptable in today's world, we sorted out South Africa, it about time we sorted out Isreal?

This    Their actions and policies are designed to keep the status quo, completely irresponsible as the 'evolved' government in the ME.

The majority of voters are supporting flouting international law and second-class citizenry, with factions in government being led by freaking rabid moron Russian emigres. Yes, a wonderful situation.

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 4):
As long as certain nations ( USA being the most notorious one ) are allowing Israel to continue

I'd have issued them an ultimatum a long time ago.

SoJo

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:00 pm

So you equate the assassination of an evil scumbag of a politician, one of the worst in the world

Just out of curiosity, who is this evil scumbag you refer too? Were Bush and Blair not 'evil scumbags' ? You know killing innocent people, destroying their homes. Why all this hatred against Israel? Just a question
RAF Abingdon 1967. I met Beverley from Blackburn. Fantastic!

TheCommodore

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:48 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 11):
What is the media like in Israel? Do they say something like "freedom settlements are being built on former terrorist sites..." or do they say "Our government is building settlements on Palestinian claimed sites..."?

I think the.... "freedom settlements are being built on former terrorist sites..." is probably whats said

Who's going to stop Hamas?

Israel should never had instigated Hamas formation in the first place.... You reap what you sow.

Listen, all these issues are of world wide interest, especially Israel issues... they have a habit of making very loud noises about a plethora of different thing, all the time.

Don't want the spotlight on you, then keep your head down,

just stop!

Never will I stop calling out issues regarding Israel, so get used to it.

BTW, Netanyahu is an elected official, with the support of the majority of the voters of Israel,

Yeah we know. Boy do we know. and thats why I have very little faith in the people of Israel.

They obviously want war or they would have voted for someone else. Israelis now condone the stealing of other people land and possessions on a daily basis, they arrest children for throwing rocks.

They use white phosphorus bombs.. against international law, but they don't care !

Quoting A332DTW (Reply 22):
This is pretty cut and dry, black and white, wholesale violation of international law and not to mention human rights.

On would think that of all people in the world, the Israelis should and would know better.... apparently not. So they will need to be told and told until they conform.

So what? How does that make this OK? You keep saying you're not at all racist, but every time you make a post you lose the benefit of the doubt.

As soon as he pulled out the anti -BS card, he lost all credibility, just like they all do !

Quoting SoJo (Reply 24):
Just out of curiosity, who is this evil scumbag you refer too?

Bibi

Quoting SoJo (Reply 24):
Were Bush and Blair not 'evil scumbags' ?

No argument there really, just we we are talking about Israel, not the UK or USA

Quoting SoJo (Reply 24):
Why all this hatred against Israel?

Because they should know better, way better than most really !
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

solarflyer22

Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:49 am

This demolition policy is absolute bonkers. Whoop dee doo...another UN report criticizing Israel. That's all they do - make reports! The UN is useless

Yeah, they more I look at the tragedy in Syria, the more it makes wonder why no one lifts a finger to help the Palestinians. It's nice for GER to take in 500,000 refugees but you'd think they stop Israel from chipping away at a Palestinian state.

As far as Netanyahu goes, I think the Iran "threat" was basically a fabrication and propaganda lie. I speak Persian fluently and I watched Ahmadinejad's speeches personally on YouTube and he never threatened to wipe Israel off the map. That expression makes 0 sense in our language and the only wiping you do is on the dinner table.

Its just shameful he looks to be Israel's longest serving PM. He's close to 10 years now.

AAlaxfan

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:00 am

I don't know how to debate the anti Israeli rhetoric going on in this discussion. It seems that, according to some members, Israel can never do anything that is "right". Palestinians can never do "wrong".
I'm done trying to open your eyes.

TheCommodore

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:10 am

Quoting aalaxfan (Reply 27):
I don't know how to debate the anti Israeli rhetoric going on in this discussion.

Well for a start....

Stop with calling people anti-Semitic just because the rightfully criticise Israel.

Palestinians can never do "wrong"

Where EXACTLY was that said ?

[Edited 2015-09-08 20:11:46]

Acheron

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:17 am

It seems that, according to some members, Israel can never do anything that is "right"

And according to you, Israel is beyond any criticism, apparently.

DeltaMD90

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:22 am

I don't know how to debate the anti Israeli rhetoric going on in this discussion. It seems that, according to some members, Israel can never do anything that is "right". Palestinians can never do "wrong".

I just read your posts in this thread. All you've done is ignore the issue at hand, saying that there are other problems going on and some of them are worse....... ok, true, and? Start threads on those issues. Your third post addresses a rather colorful post, one I don't condone obviously, but you instantly pull out the anti-semite card. There is plenty of antisemitism in the world, you don't need to invent more of it (criticism of Israel =/= antisemitism.) Even though that poster is hardly my favorite poster and actually says some pretty revolting things, he doesn't have some irrational bias against Jews (from what I read)

And who said Israel can do no right and Palestine can do no wrong?

Done trying to open our eyes? Your posts have been hardly thought provoking. Not condoning some of the other posters here, but to pretend you offered a well thought out analysis and to then rage quit isn't fooling anyone. Can't we have a logical discussion? Like actually discussing the issue instead of list out a dozen other situations as if that somehow neutralizes all this?

And before you ask, I am pro Israel. I do have issues with the handling of Palestinians. I don't have an issue with the handling of terrorists.

Yep, welcome to the club. If you tone down the emotion and find out what people actually believe, you'll find that most of them feel about the same. Very few people are pro-terrorism or randomly anti-Jewish

Aaron747
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:58 am

Palestinians can never do "wrong".

This was never said.

It seems that, according to some members, Israel can never do anything that is "right"

This was never said.

I don't know how to debate the anti Israeli rhetoric going on in this discussion

There is no anti-Israeli rhetoric here. There is pointed criticism of numerous failures by the government though:

1. Blatantly wrong policies from Bibi that continue to stoke terror and enhance the us-versus-them mentality
2. Success of conservative politics in Israel that confers defensive posture and illegal settlements / demolitions as proper
3. Failure of the Israeli government to achieve economic and legal reforms conducive to preventing terror by eliminating second-class citizenry for Palestinians
4. Failure of the Israeli government to stabilize the situation by promoting values of freedom and democracy
5. Failure of the Israeli government to quell actions by rabidly psychotic Russian emigres and other Orthodox settlers

I don't need mine opened. Perhaps yours are shut to the likes of B'Tselem and Haaretz editorials.

A332DTW

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:04 am

IADCA

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:06 am

After you're done beating that straw man to death, maybe you should try reading this thread again, this time with your eyes open and understanding that a lot of people here have no issue with Israel as a state or Israelis as people, but do have lots of problems with the policies of the current government. If you can't understand the differences among those things, then it's not us who need our eyes - or rather, our brains - opened.

pvjin

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:57 am

Quoting Acheron (Reply 21):
Better an oppressive but secular dictatorship that can keep a country running fine rather than a theocratic hellhole propped up by the KSA and brought about by NATO.

Sure, but then again ISIS overrunning the whole place is another possibility.

Since when not caring much about a land called Palestine is racist? Are Palestinians a race?

Neither side in the conflict is right, otherwise they would have stopped fighting long time ago.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

A332DTW

Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:24 am

Quoting pvjin (Reply 34):
Since when not caring much about a land called Palestine is racist? Are Palestinians a race?

The topic at hand is not pertaining to whether or not a land should be called Palestine, it's about peoples' homes being demolished for God's sake. Do you see that at all?

Aesma

Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:42 am

The problem is an US one. If Israel had to fend for itself, it would really try to find peace. But it doesn't need to, because of US involvement. Meanwhile the US doesn't even try to steer the Israeli government one way or another, claiming "democracy". To me there is no democracy when the US has such influence over the country, it's like saying a US state has an independent democracy.

Then you have the religious zealots in the US "supporting Israel" for some strange reason, ironic when you think that for most of its history Christianity has persecuted Jews, the evil people who murdered Christ !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

29erUSA187

Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:45 am

Quoting pvjin (Reply 34):
Sure, but then again ISIS overrunning the whole place is another possibility.

I guarantee you, that is the start of WWIII. Israel gets desperate after a large invasion, launches up a few warheads at ISIS strongholds in Iraq and Syria, and you can guess where it all goes from there.

Im not sure by reading your post if you are arguing against Israel or not, but I assure you. Letting people like ISIS control a Jewish area will not be pretty for anyone.

MrChips

Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:16 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 36):
Then you have the religious zealots in the US "supporting Israel" for some strange reason, ironic when you think that for most of its history Christianity has persecuted Jews, the evil people who murdered Christ !

That strange reason is that a good portion of Evangelical Christians believe the existence of the nation of Israel is necessary to bring about the chaos and war that will ultimately bring about the Rapture.

No, I don't really understand it either.
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

Kiwirob

Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:30 am

Quoting SoJo (Reply 24):
You know killing innocent people, destroying their homes. Why all this hatred against Israel? Just a question

You answered your own question, killing innocent people, destroying their homes. Israel should be above this.

einsteinboricua

Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:50 am

No sir. Netanyahu didn't win the support of the majority of voters. Otherwise, his Likud party would have over 50% of the seats alone without the need to form a coalition. While his party obtained just about 23.4% of the vote, it means that about 76.6% of Israelis didn't pick his party...that's not a majority; that's a plurality.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

OA412

Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:54 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 28):
I don't know how to debate the anti Israeli rhetoric going on in this discussion.

Well for a start....

Stop with calling people anti-Semitic just because the rightfully criticise Israel.

This. We cannot have a rational conversation on Israel, if one side insisits on labeling any criticism of Israel anti-Semitic. It's clear that the anti-Semitism is card is just played now to silence any criticism. It's become as bad as calling someone a Nazi when you disagree with them. We cannot speak rationally when one side's criticisms are so clearly irrational.

It's becoming increasingly ridiculous. In civ-av, I was called an anti-Semite while discussing AA's recent cancellation of its PHL-TLV service. My crime? Here's the direct quote:

"Sure, the flights from NY and other centers with large Israeli populations probably do well, but it's nothing more than a.net myth that a flight to TLV should be "one of the MOST profitable routes" in an airline's network."

Since apparently there are no "large" Israeli populations outside Israel, what I wrote was just code for "Jews," and therefore anti-Semitic... I can't even begin to fathom how what I said is even remotely anti-Semitic. Never mind that the person who was so deeply offended by my comment doesn't appear to understand that there is a difference between Israelis and Jewish people...

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 30):
Your third post addresses a rather colorful post

Quite the diplomat aren't you? 
Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 30):
here is plenty of antisemitism in the world, you don't need to invent more of it (criticism of Israel =/= antisemitism.) Even though that poster is hardly my favorite poster and actually says some pretty revolting things, he doesn't have some irrational bias against Jews (from what I read)

[Edited 2015-09-09 10:55:37]
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

pvjin

Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:05 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 41):
This. We cannot have a rational conversation on Israel, if one side insisits on labeling any criticism of Israel anti-Semitic. It's clear that the anti-Semitism is card is just played now to silence any criticism. It's become as bad as calling someone a Nazi when you disagree with them. We cannot speak rationally when one side's criticisms are so clearly irrational.

Yeah, but at least here in Europe words like islamophobic and racist are equally or even more abused. Mostly it's ones in the left calling those who want to restrict immigration racist and islamophobic, anti-semitic not so much as same leftists tend to hate Israel and don't see Jews as victims like Muslims.

OA412

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:54 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 42):
Yeah, but at least here in Europe words like islamophobic and racist are equally or even more abused. Mostly it's ones in the left calling those who want to restrict immigration racist and islamophobic

I would disagree that those words are as equally abused. In fact, I'd say those characterizations are entirely apt. Much of the anti-immigration rhetoric coming out of Europe is incredibly racist and Islamophobic. Just last week, Hungary's prime minister essentially said he didn't want to accept refugees because he wants Europe to "remain safe for Christianity." Many of the most virulent anti-immigration parties are deeply racist. I know parties like France's National Front like to claim their "Nationalist," but no one's buying it.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Cadet985

Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:34 pm

You're 100% right. The IDF could shoot a suicide bomber running into a children's hospital, and certain people who I'm sure you can figure out would put the blame on Israel.

That has been interpreted as a potential assassination threat, which aside from violating a few parts of the TOS, violates many laws.

Marc

Acheron

Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:43 pm

Quote:
Israeli authorities have identified the attackers behind the arson attack which killed three members of a Palestinian family in a West Bank village in July. However, they have decided against legal action at present to avoid making their sources public in court, the Israeli defense minister Moshe Yaalon confirmed on Wednesday.
http://europe.newsweek.com/israel-kn...tack-wont-take-legal-action-332786

Better to protect intel sources than bring justice to second-rate citizens.

seb146

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:05 pm

So many debates are not black-and-white but some refuse to see that. If Israel needs to be rightly criticized, it should be done without the term "anti Semite" being throw around. If Palestine needs to be rightly criticized, it should be done without the term "islamophobe" being thrown around. If people would just take a step back and realize that there are a million shades of grey and not just one black side and one white side, I think things would do much better.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:11 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 44):
You're 100% right. The IDF could shoot a suicide bomber running into a children's hospital, and certain people who I'm sure you can figure out would put the blame on Israel.

100% wrong. The rational discussion would actually be: 1. what choice do they have when a suicide bomber threatens a hospital followed by 2. why is Israel still not taking the steps necessary to eliminate the second-class citizenry provoking terrorism?

I made several points in reply 31, but as usual, there are no factual responses, just histrionic emotional claims or charges of anti-Israel fervor. Not every poster here is the Commodore, some of us are concerned Jews tired of Israel puking all over the values of Jewish identity.

A332DTW

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:11 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 46):

So many debates are not black-and-white but some refuse to see that. If Israel needs to be rightly criticized, it should be done without the term "anti Semite" being throw around. If Palestine needs to be rightly criticized, it should be done without the term "islamophobe" being thrown around. If people would just take a step back and realize that there are a million shades of grey and not just one black side and one white side, I think things would do much better.

I agree. Except in this case, this is completely black and white.

Israel is not supposed to tear down Palestinian (Arab) property in the West Bank to build illegal settlements. Israel destroys Palestinian (Arab) property to build illegal settlements. It's actually very to-the-point... no nuances.

Aesma

Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:49 pm

Quoting Acheron (Reply 45):
Quote:
Israeli authorities have identified the attackers behind the arson attack which killed three members of a Palestinian family in a West Bank village in July. However, they have decided against legal action at present to avoid making their sources public in court, the Israeli defense minister Moshe Yaalon confirmed on Wednesday.
http://europe.newsweek.com/israel-kn...tack-wont-take-legal-action-332786

Better to protect intel sources than bring justice to second-rate citizens.

That doesn't make sense. The murderers know who they are and whom they've told, so the minister saying he knows who it is has already compromised the source !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams