Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VapourTrails
Topic Author

British Comedy: Mr Bean - 25 Years On

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:45 am

Mr Bean celebrates 25 years. Recall watching the original series (before movies and animated character made their debut) and laughed so much. Still makes me laugh to this day.

Did you, or do you still watch Mr Bean? Thoughts? It is popular in your country? Do you prefer Rowan Atkinson in other roles he has portrayed?

Have seen some of Blackadder and just the contrasts and diversity of his acting realm are quite amazing, a great talent.

Thank you again British Comedy, and Rowan Atkinson for much entertainment, still going strong after quarter of a century.  

Mr. Bean - 25th Anniversary - Mr Bean Drives His Mini Again!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1DanTAZKEI

From GMA News Online: Some text from the online article:

With Teddy by his side, Mr Bean fetes 25 years with London drive.

"LONDON - Sitting in an armchair strapped atop his green mini with his loyal Teddy by his side, Mr Bean celebrated 25 years of his popular television antics on Friday with a London drive to Buckingham Palace.

His car filled with presents, the comedy character portrayed by British actor Rowan Atkinson used a mop to guide the car, just as Mr Bean did in one of the sitcom's episodes after filling his mini with purchases from a store sale.

The mainly silent Mr Bean made his television debut in Britain in 1990, and his amusing and often disruptive exploits, won him fans around the world." http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...n-fetes-25-years-with-london-drive

Ytraveller

RE: British Comedy: Mr Bean - 25 Years On

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:48 am

I haven't seen the original series, but I did enjoy the animated ones when I was younger   I also remember going to see Mr. Bean's Holiday in the theater, that was funny.

-Ytraveller

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:55 am

Quoting Ytraveller (Reply 1):
I haven't seen the original series, but I did enjoy the animated ones when I was younger.

Actually, I have seen all, but the animated series, but have decided I am going to view these (now) as well!   

Francoflier

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:05 am

Quoting VapourTrails (Thread starter):
Do you prefer Rowan Atkinson in other roles he has portrayed?

Definitely.

As far as British humor goes, I found Mr. Bean to be okay at best, and definitely a bit childish.
However, I'm not a big fan of the '3 stooges' / physical kind of comedy.

He is a great actor for sure, and it's a shame that Mr. Bean is what brought him international fame in my opinion.

A332DTW

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:12 am

Did you, or do you still watch Mr Bean?

Absolutely. Nothing like a good laugh, especially when you find so much common ground with a character (I'm known to be a little clumsy at times), which is why I watch alone. Too many easy jokes that someone who knows me well enough could make while watching Mr Beam.

His appearance at the opening ceremonies during the summer games in London was perfect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwzjlmBLfrQ

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:19 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 3):
He is a great actor for sure, and it's a shame that Mr. Bean is what brought him international fame in my opinion.

Yes, I see where you're coming from.

From his Wikipedia page: "In November 2012, it emerged that Rowan Atkinson intended to retire Mr. Bean. "The stuff that has been most commercially successful for me – basically quite physical, quite childish – I increasingly feel I'm going to do a lot less of," Atkinson told the Daily Telegraph's Review. "Apart from the fact that your physical ability starts to decline, I also think someone in their 50s being childlike becomes a little sad. You've got to be careful." He has also said that the role typecast him to a degree." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan_Atkinson

Typecast yes, he has been in a lot of other things too, years before Mr Bean in 1990. With the animation, it continues on on a life of it's own, without him having to play the role. I am sure being his most widely successful character it would be hard not to resurrect it again for some occasion (like this) or other. It is lucrative. It also appeals to a wider audience than his other characters, which are/were more adult roles, and a narrower fan base?

Excerpt from the page: "However, in January 2014, ITV announced a new animated series featuring Mr Bean with Rowan Atkinson returning to the role. It was expected to be released online as a web-series later in 2014, as a television broadcast followed shortly after. In October 2014, Atkinson also appeared as Mr Bean in a TV advert for Snickers." (Wikipedia 2015).

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:24 am

Quoting A332DTW (Reply 4):
Absolutely.

The ditzyness of the character and the way he behaves in public or around people 'he doesn't think that highly of' is kind of liberating to watch. There is so much conforming to society and this guy is so much just really being himself - for better or worse! It strikes a chord in the mind, without realising consciously why sometimes IMHO.   

WarRI1

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:33 am

I know of Mr. Bean and I have seen some of the actors work. I did think he was funny and original. I think zany might cover it better.

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:37 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 7):
I did think he was funny and original.

As far as I am aware, it was a very original idea? Sometimes it is just being in the right place at the right time, to create a winning formula or 'cross fingers' that it will work and be well received, or was the confidence there to begin with I wonder?

I've read books about the history of other British comedies, e.g. The Good Life, To The Manor Born and George and Mildred etc., and it was said that the cast themselves didn't have high expectations at the outset and were suprised by the success and international aclaim it had brought and has endured. Maybe it is better to think that way, and be suprised!

seb146

Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:21 am

I don't "get" Bean. I don't think the character is funny at all. Rowan Atkinson is talented. I have seen Black Adder. All those shows are a hoot. He has timing and he has brains. I saw him in Rat Race doing his "Bean" type schtick. meh... The only other good thing about him is that his middle name is my middle name!

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:19 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 9):
I don't "get" Bean. I don't think the character is funny at all.

One thing I have found personally, and I have heard family and friends say this too, is that the character can be very mean and spiteful. There are a few scenes (I am talking about the original TV series) where it almost crosses a line into, not funny, and very unfair on the unwitting other party or parties involved. That is in the minority though, but is worth mentioning, as laughing at comedy is very subjective and Mr Bean is usually the butt of the jokes anyway, and at times, I know the viewer feels empathy for him, as he is very simple.

I understand you not 'getting' Bean at all. I feel that way about Dawn French, another comedy actor. Try as I might, I don't get her, or any of her characters. I even tried reading one of her books and couldn't get past the first page. So cannot identify, and it was very awkward once when I had to sit through an episode of Vicar of Dibley, or when I was given a really funny DVD of that series, that I 'just had to watch'. Yikes!   

Cheers =

OA260

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:43 am

As far as British humor goes, I found Mr. Bean to be okay at best, and definitely a bit childish.

Indeed it most certainly had a selective audience. I never liked it.

Kiwirob

Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:00 pm

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 8):
I've read books about the history of other British comedies, e.g. The Good Life, To The Manor Born and George and Mildred etc.

I loved all of these when I was a kid, you can add Dad's Army, Me and My Girl, Robin's Nest, Man About The House, Open All Hours, Only Fools and Horses, It Ain't Half Hot Mum.....NZ tv was full of British sitcoms in the 70's and 80's.

MD11Engineer

Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:20 pm

I prefer Atkinson in his other characters in Blackadder, especially the later series (during the first series he still plays the clumsy fool too much). The later Blackadder series show a fine dark humour.

Jan

DeltaMD90

Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:03 am

I love Mr Bean, brings back nostalgia of my childhood. That said, a lot of people just don't get it, like my wife  

seb146

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:58 am

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 10):
I feel that way about Dawn French, another comedy actor. Try as I might, I don't get her, or any of her characters

The only thing I have seen her do is on AbFab as characters. She was good at what she did. I never saw any French & Saunders shows, so I don't know about anything else.

I can tell that actors who started (or have spent a good deal of time) on the stage are much more talented and better than those who started on TV. It takes much more thought and craft and skill. I think that is why Angela Lansbury and Patricia Routledge are so remembered. They know what to get across. They know depth.

WarRI1

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:01 am

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 10):

It seems as I grew older, I started to appreciate British humor much more than when I was younger. I find it the same for British Drama.

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:29 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 12):
I loved all of these when I was a kid, you can add Dad's Army, Me and My Girl, Robin's Nest, Man About The House, Open All Hours, Only Fools and Horses, It Ain't Half Hot Mum.....NZ tv was full of British sitcoms in the 70's and 80's.

Man About the House, one of my favourites - seen and read everything about it. Are You Being Served? is another one, and the spin-off from that. I find that they are funnier as I get older, I guess I understand them on more levels, than when I was a child, growing up with these series.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 15):
I can tell that actors who started (or have spent a good deal of time) on the stage are much more talented and better than those who started on TV. It takes much more thought and craft and skill. I think that is why Angela Lansbury and Patricia Routledge are so remembered. They know what to get across. They know depth.

Yes, that is exactly right. Patricia Routledge, Clive Swift, and the late Paul Eddington are a few fine examples of this.

jetwet1

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:32 pm

Do you prefer Rowan Atkinson in other roles he has portrayed?

Blakeadder, one of the most constituently funny, well written shows of any genre. Throw in Not the 9 O'Clock news as well.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 13):
I prefer Atkinson in his other characters in Blackadder, especially the later series (during the first series he still plays the clumsy fool too much). The later Blackadder series show a fine dark humour.

It's a show that you could put on today and it would still be funny, i'm hearing rumors that it could be coming back for one more series.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 12):
I loved all of these when I was a kid, you can add Dad's Army, Me and My Girl, Robin's Nest, Man About The House, Open All Hours, Only Fools and Horses, It Ain't Half Hot Mum

Don't forget Only when I laugh, Last of the Summer Wine and Rising Dam, though Only Fools and Horses has to stand out as the gem amongst them all.

Also, there is a Dad's Army movie coming out next year, in many ways I am scared of what will have been done with it.

offloaded

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:06 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 18):
Throw in Not the 9 O'Clock

The Conservative Party conference skit and the Songs of Praise one are two of my favourites from NTNON. We lack that kind of comedy today. Today's "political" comedy seems to be very childish, with comedy replaced by swearing for cheap laughs. Yes Minister and later Yes Prime Minister were brilliant, especially for anyone who wants to learn how the British Civil Service works (or doesn't!)

I'd also mention Spitting Image here, as it was probably the only time in the last 30 years when schoolkids across the land knew who half the government and opposition in parliament actually were.

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 17):
Man About the House, one of my favourites - seen and read everything about it. Are You Being Served? is another one, and the spin-off from that. I find that they are funnier as I get older, I guess I understand them on more levels, than when I was a child, growing up with these series.

Also, there is a Dad's Army movie coming out next year, in many ways I am scared of what will have been done with it.

With most of the original cast dead, I don't even want to see it.

MD11Engineer

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:28 pm

Quoting offloaded (Reply 19):

With most of the original cast dead, I don't even want to see it.

The thing is that most of the original cast have served in WW2 (and some even in WW1) and knew what they were talking about.

Jan

YVRLTN

Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:40 am

I think Mr Bean is hilarious and Rowan is an absolute legend. I always laugh at the skits however many times I see them, but maybe I relate a little as my humor is similar.

I also like him in the Thin Blue Line. Though in reality maybe its just Mina Anwar...

However, the greatest British comedy has already been mentioned

Are you being served - Mr Lucas & Mr Humphries are just the best
Keeping up appearances - all great actors, love Onslow
Only Fools & Horses - Im a cockney so I totally get this though many dont

Mr Bean comes in 4th for me

jetwet1

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:15 am

Quoting offloaded (Reply 19):
I'd also mention Spitting Image here, as it was probably the only time in the last 30 years when schoolkids across the land knew who half the government and opposition in parliament actually were.

How did I forget Spitting image ! Yes, so true, I wonder how they would deal with the upcoming election here in the US.

PanHAM

Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:44 pm

I like Mr. Bean but the best I have seen from Rowan Atkinson was the sketch where he acted a headmaster of a boarding school informing a father about the death of his son.

Black humor at it's best.

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:02 am

Watched an episode of the animated series. Not as good for me, maybe my age.. LOL.. will watch a few more though - easy viewing.   

http://youtu.be/pe32wwBRt0A Super Trolley from YouTube. Episode has had over 37M views.   

Liked the way they have done it though, including adding in the poor blue Reliant Robin, the three wheeled car.   

Mr Bean | The Reliant from YouTube. http://youtu.be/HWGHlgU7D0U

[Edited 2015-09-13 04:09:19]

allrite

Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:15 pm

My 6 (almost 7) year old son absolutely loves Mr Bean and watches the old episodes on YouTube. He bought a couple of Mr Bean books from a 2nd hand bookshop a couple of weekends ago. His vacation care centre is going to show one of the Mr Bean movies during the school holidays. So Mr Bean lives on for the next generation.

He also likes some of the episodes of The Goodies. Pity more of those have not been rereleased on DVD in Australia. Some of the settings are quite dated but others are timeless enough to still be enjoyed by those who have little or no reference to the era.

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:00 pm

Quoting allrite (Reply 25):
My 6 (almost 7) year old son absolutely loves Mr Bean and watches the old episodes on YouTube. He bought a couple of Mr Bean books from a 2nd hand bookshop a couple of weekends ago. His vacation care centre is going to show one of the Mr Bean movies during the school holidays. So Mr Bean lives on for the next generation.

He also likes some of the episodes of The Goodies. Pity more of those have not been rereleased on DVD in Australia. Some of the settings are quite dated but others are timeless enough to still be enjoyed by those who have little or no reference to the era.

Glad to hear, and is good that Mr Bean is going on to the next generation, as are The Goodies!

I watched The Goodies when I was 6-7 too, although, not as dated then, they are timeless!

[Edited 2015-09-13 14:03:51]

allrite

Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:12 pm

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 26):
I watched The Goodies when I was 6-7 too, although, not as dated then, they are timeless!

If you lived in an ABC household it was hard not to as a kid. I remember endless runs of The Goodies, Doctor Who and Monkey Magic ("The punkiest monkey that ever popped"). My son is also a little Whovian (though the later seasons are a bit scary for him) and I bought the boxed set of Monkey to share.   It's important to have as warped sense of humour as possible, heaven forbid that he should only be exposed to the kind of humour where everything is telegraphed in capital letters - no Pay TV for our house!