Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CXB77L

RE: F1 2015: Singaporean Grand Prix

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 48):
Williams have settled into competing for second or lower in the title race

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Yes, we've made some very bad calls in terms of strategy this year, but after not being near the front for so long, I think it's fair to say that we've forgotten how to win.

Winning the championship again is still the end goal. We just need to build a better car than Mercedes.
Boeing 777 fanboy

MadameConcorde

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:19 pm

For a worthy cause

Justin Wilson charity auction
Jenson Button’s McLaren helmet for sale on ebay

Jenson Button #03 2015 McLaren Raceworn Helmet
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jenson-But...-/171942989107?hash=item280899cd33

5 more days

30 000,00 USD
62 bids

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

diverted

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:49 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 50):
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Yes, we've made some very bad calls in terms of strategy this year, but after not being near the front for so long, I think it's fair to say that we've forgotten how to win.

Winning the championship again is still the end goal. We just need to build a better car than Mercedes.

I'd say it's a mix. At the moment I think Williams are trying to ensure a high enough points finish to ensure that they keep the operation from hemorrhaging money, and have a solid financial base to work from for the years ahead.

However, they're going to have a very tough hill to climb being a customer team, vs the factory team with their inside information, earlier knowledge of engine specs etc. Williams gets an engine and needs to make their chassis work around it. However, it's not insurmountable. Look at Brawn in 2009. Had to make huge changes to their chassis just to make the engine work (as it was designed for Honda's unit) and went out and smoked McLaren (the de facto works Mercedes team at the time) in the constructor's championship 172 points to 71. (RBR in 2nd had 153.5)

Not impossible, but they'll have a tough time of it for sure.

teme82

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:41 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 35):
I don't know.
Maybe Taki Inoue?

Sorry for the late response. It's Mika Salo. Married Noriko Endo (now Noriko Salo) while back.
Flying high and low

moo

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:24 pm

Quoting diverted (Reply 52):
Had to make huge changes to their chassis just to make the engine work (as it was designed for Honda's unit) and went out and smoked McLaren (the de facto works Mercedes team at the time) in the constructor's championship 172 points to 71. (RBR in 2nd had 153.5)

Not impossible, but they'll have a tough time of it for sure.

Thats because the major change between the seasons was a *massive* change in aero rules - with McLaren competing for the 2008 championship until the last few corners of the last race, they started much later on the 2009 car than Honda did. Brawn inherited the early Honda investment.

Note that after the first 7 or 8 races, Brawns domination ceased and Red Bull and McLaren got some wins in, purely because Brawn was doing no in-season development because they couldnt afford it while those teams could.

diverted

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:16 pm

^Absolutely; I was just highlighting that it IS possible for Willaims to contend for a championship vs a works squad, but it will be very difficult for them. Also worth noting is that Brawn did have to make huge changes to the car to make the Mercedes engine work. At the beginning of the season they were viewed similarily to how Manor is now...a backmarker just barely making the grid. Until the first test  

I know Honda did the major leg work, but you can't take any credit away from Ross and his guys for shoehorning a new engine in and making the car competitive with next to no budget.