Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aesma

RE: What Was Your First Car?

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:23 pm

Quoting cybergus (Reply 39):
First car was a 1999 Daewoo Matiz in Silver:
This little fella took me to places, it was a battle horse.

Cheers

Tavo.

To me, that's the worst car that sold in any quantity. I still have nightmares about them. I will never buy a Chevrolet because of these.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 40):
First car I bought with my own money and never regretted it:
1982 BMW 320i

Was it like that, 2 doors like mine ? And white headlamps ? Mine are yellow. I have power windows and mirrors. There is something wrong with the engine though, I'm seeing the mechanic tomorrow to figure it out.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

pvjin

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:45 pm

'11 Toyota Avensis, 1.6l petrol

Not a very cheap to purchase as an used 3 year old car with around 100k kilometers driven as Toyota's tend to hold their value very well, but I wanted something safe, comfortable and reliable enough for long term use. My parents have had several Avensis before this, all of them were extremely reliable.

Sure it might not drive as good as a VW Passat, nor does its traditional free breathing engine have as good fuel / power ratio as VW's turbocharged TSI has. No cruise control, automatic air conditioning, parking cam/radar and other such stuff as those were extra accessories that the original owner of my car didn't choose. But when it comes to reliability statistics Toyota has constantly outperformed all European car manufacturers, and that's what matters to me. Even had the car anti-rust treated so corrosion shouldn't be an issue either, I'm planning to keep this car for at least next 10 years.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

Ken777

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:48 pm

The first car I ever owned was a '69 BMW 2002 - part of the original 10,000 to hit the US. Mine was basically like the one modemart had, but it had the original, worthless bumpers on the corners. Very dainty they were.

Hadn't planned on the BMW, but had written Dad to see if he could find me something. I was in the Navy at the time and was looking for something I could pay $50 a month on (this was in '68) until I got out of the Navy. I did trust his judgement more than mine as he had earned a Masters in Mechanical Engineering (because he wanted to design cars). I guess he felt guilty because he had bought my sisters cars outright and I had never asked. Regardless, he had a test drive of the BMW and fell in love with it so he picked up the amount over what I wanted to pay. Wonderful driving car, but a totally incompetent cooling system - no way would it handle and ac unit. Yugo delivered a better cooling on their cars sold in the US.

Did love how it drove though.

modernArt

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:27 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 52):
Wonderful driving car, but a totally incompetent cooling system - no way would it handle and ac unit

When I rebuilt the engine in the 2002 (around 1985), my mechanic installed a larger, modern 3 series radiator which seemed to help tremendously with the aftermarket Frigiking A/C unit. But prior to that, I remember driving with the heater blowing on a hot summer day to prevent overheating.

falstaff
Topic Author

Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:03 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 50):
I will never buy a Chevrolet because of these.

An actual American Chevrolet will not be a problem. Nearly every modern Chevy I have seen in Europe is one of the pitiful Korean models, most of which were never sold in the US. The European Cruze is about the same as the US model. I wouldn't want to own a Spark; looks like a turd.

I would never buy a Korean Chevrolet either. The Deawoos sold in the US were JUNK! I suspect that is the case everywhere.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 48):
Mine was simple and light. 5-speed manual, no A/C, no power windows, seats or anything

I had a '72 Mercedes 220D like that. It was as plain as you could get. Slow as hell, but fun to drive.

Quoting sccutler (Reply 47):
Not a bad car, nothing exciting, but a good appliance.

Yep, rather dull, but reliable and easy to fix.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

L0VE2FLY

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:18 pm

1993 Toyota Corolla, sold it to an ex-coworker who later sold it with half a million miles (800,000 km) on the clock, it was so reliable he decided to stick with Toyota and upgrade to a Camry.

Quoting 757MDE (Reply 1):
Renault Twingo first gen.
First car was a 1999 Daewoo Matiz in Silver

So cute, look like something a preschooler would design!

Quoting ER757 (Reply 11):
Quoting pvjin (Reply 51):

You can't go wrong with Toyota, great value, exceptional reliability.

Quoting melpax (Reply 17):
1983 Holden Camira wagon. Parents bought it for me way back in 1991.
Mine was much nicer than the one above!

Didn't you own a camera to take a picture of your own Camira?!  

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 35):
I've taken quite a liking to the new Ford Mondeo which I plan on buying within the next six months or so.

It's a good looking car, especially appealing to Aston Martin fans!  

Quoting falstaff (Reply 54):
An actual American Chevrolet will not be a problem. Nearly every modern Chevy I have seen in Europe is one of the pitiful Korean models, most of which were never sold in the US. The European Cruze is about the same as the US model. I wouldn't want to own a Spark; looks like a turd.

The Spark is a Korean Chevy. Hyundai & Kia have become so popular in recent years, they must be doing something right, I wonder when Daewoo/Korean Chevies will catch up.

LH707330

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:37 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 46):
Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 40):
First car I bought with my own money and never regretted it:
1982 BMW 320i

I surprised you didn't regret it, a lot of people had trouble with their CIS (known to many as the "Continuous Investment System"). Those were fun cars to drive.

CIS, I love it! I've also heard "breaks My Wallet."

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 52):
Regardless, he had a test drive of the BMW and fell in love with it so he picked up the amount over what I wanted to pay. Wonderful driving car, but a totally incompetent cooling system - no way would it handle and ac unit. Yugo delivered a better cooling on their cars sold in the US.

The cooling systems were still crap all the way through the e46.

I've got a 2005 BMW 330i ZHP, runs well but needs the occasional PM projects.

Ken777

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:47 pm

Quoting LH707330 (Reply 56):
The cooling systems were still crap all the way through the e46.

To be realistic, BMW should have been given a year to clear up their incompetent cooling system. With Year 2 cars having a proper cooling system they could have then fixed up the first years cars as there were less then 10,000 sold in the US. They did eventually send a larger fan, but the dealer installed it backwards, resulting in a few bits of the radiator being hit and having to be pinched off.

Basically the company was first ignorant and then arrogant. Though not illegal like VW these days my mind still cannot comprehend how poorly they treated their initial customers.

sccutler

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:51 pm

First car was a 1999 Daewoo Matiz in Silver:
This little fella took me to places, it was a battle horse.

Cheers

Tavo.

To me, that's the worst car that sold in any quantity. I still have nightmares about them. I will never buy a Chevrolet because of these.

Daewoos are not, and never have been, Chevrolets, no matter what badge they place on them. There's a reason why Daewoo failed as an independent car company.

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 55):
You can't go wrong with Toyota, great value, exceptional reliability.

Toyota has built some turds, too...
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Dreadnought

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:36 pm

Was it like that, 2 doors like mine ? And white headlamps ? Mine are yellow. There is something wrong with the engine though, I'm seeing the mechanic tomorrow to figure it out.

I bought mine in Switzerland so it had white headlamps. Yellow was only in France. France ditched the yellow headlights some twenty years ago - why don't you switch to white? You can see a hell of a lot better.

As for the engine, I owned mine from '89 to '94. It had about 110K km on it when I bought it and I sold it with about 220K (I traded it in on a new 325i). I never had any trouble whatsoever with the engine except for the water pump, which is nothing unusual after 150K km or so. I don't know how many km yours has now but I am sure it's a lot - Has it ever been rebuilt? If you really want to keep it, you might find out about having an engine rebuild.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 48):
Mine was simple and light. 5-speed manual, no A/C, no power windows, seats or anything

I had a '72 Mercedes 220D like that. It was as plain as you could get. Slow as hell, but fun to drive.

That's the key to owning an old car - buy a simple one where there is very little to break.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Aesma

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:57 pm

If Chevrolet is fine selling turds then I'm fine not considering their cars.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 59):
I bought mine in Switzerland so it had white headlamps. Yellow was only in France. France ditched the yellow headlights some twenty years ago - why don't you switch to white? You can see a hell of a lot better.

Well 1989 is more than 20 years ago, so yellow is the right color for that car. And I like it.

As for mileage it has 197KKm and no history, that's part of the problem. The engine should be good for more but it probably needs plenty of little bits and pieces around to be repaired or replaced.

I was a kid when white headlamps were allowed but I remember it well because Peugeot had seen it coming so the yellow on my parents 405 estate came from filters on the bulbs, my father removed them easily.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Dreadnought

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:20 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 60):
As for mileage it has 197KKm and no history, that's part of the problem. The engine should be good for more but it probably needs plenty of little bits and pieces around to be repaired or replaced.

Interesting... That's not much mileage for a 30+ year old car. I would hope that was run fairly regularly - if a car sits for a long period of time without proper storage methods all sorts of seals and hoses can start to deteriorate - All that can be fixed in a rebuild of course.

But assuming that it has been run regularly, and not abused (eg lots of max-speed runs on the autobahn), based on my experience that engine is probably good for at least 300K km. So hopefully, yours simply needs a small single fix like a water pump, ignition coil or something like that.

If your mechanic gives you a big list of issues with the engine, you have a big choice to make. If the car has never been in an accident and the chassis is undamaged by rust, and you really want to keep the car, then I would suggest a rebuild. You'll basically have a new engine good for another 200-300K (You should notice much better performance too - cars always lose a few horses every year). But if the chassis shows other problems, I'd say it's not worth it - time to find another car.

I loved my 320 - certainly one of the most pleasurable ownership experiences I ever had, out of the 16 cars I have owned (LOL, I just counted them). I've had better cars, but they were brand new - certainly not comparable in terms of bang-for-the-buck.

falstaff
Topic Author

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:21 am

The Spark is a Korean Chevy. Hyundai & Kia have become so popular in recent years, they must be doing something right, I wonder when Daewoo/Korean Chevies will catch up.

I know, I didn't word my thought properly. Hyundai and Kia have come way up in quality and price in recent years. Daewoos are still cheap wheels and now go after a different market segment.

Zkpilot

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:30 am

Fiat Tipo 1.6L DGT. Great little car, reliable (strange for a Fiat I know!), reasonably economical. Managed to get it above its maximum rated top speed down a hill  
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

BreninTW

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:03 am

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 35):
If all goes to plan, my next car will be a Ford too - I've taken quite a liking to the new Ford Mondeo which I plan on buying within the next six months or so.

I'm curious if you've driven one?

When I was looking at buying a new car in March this year, I test drove the Mondeo 2.0 EcoBoost -- since I was quite determined that was going to be my next car. It was not a great drive IMO. That coupled with the fact that it was no more fuel efficient than my Sentra had me thinking twice about it.

The Mondeo looks good, and the specs are decent on paper. The whole package is not as impressive as I'd expected. When I tested the Mazda I was blown away by it ... despite being a diesel it is more lively than the Mondeo was, I found it as comfortable as the Mondeo, and the build quality is on a par with the Mondeo.

There was about an 8% price difference in favor of the Mondeo, but that alone wasn't enough to sway me ... the Mondeo has to be driven hard to get the turbo to work its magic whereas the Mazda's twin-turbo setup works from low down in the rev range.

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:12 am

VW Beetle i got from my grandfather when they took his driver licenses away. he had drove it using the braille method, it had tiny dings everywhere. I Loved it, but since it was a stick shift it, wasn't the best first car, especially when you are first learning to drive. The engine kept dying at the most inappropriate times. I think my dad was trying to get rid of me. lol

[Edited 2015-09-22 20:14:06]

[Edited 2015-09-22 20:15:12]

Dreadnought

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:51 am

Quoting DLFREEBIRD (Reply 65):
I Loved it, but since it was a stick shift it, wasn't the best first car, especially when you are first learning to drive.

I disagree. I strongly feel that your first car should be a manual. It forces you to pay attention to what you are doing. Much harder to send texts, eat, play with the radio. It also ensures that you can drive whatever car you have available. It is so ridiculous how many people don't know how to drive a manual. IMHO, if you can't drive a manual you shouldn't have a license.

Skydrol

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:19 am

1967 Pontiac Parisienne 2+2

Canadian Pontiac in these years = Pontiac Body on a Full Size Chevy chassis / Chevy drivetrain

283 V8, 2 Speed Auto, Power 4 wheel drum brakes, Power Roof with glass rear window, Power Windows

Teal green, white interior, white top

71,000 miles. I believe the only things changed are fluids, brake shoes, ignition points, plugs/wires and tires. Engine, trans, suspension, brake drums, brake lines and shocks are all still original. Not bad for 48 years old.

Still have it after close to 30 years... but easier to post online pictures

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

melpax

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:05 am

Didn't you own a camera to take a picture of your own Camira?!

No digital cameras in those days, LOL.

Quoting Skydrol (Reply 67):

The Parisiennes were also assembled here by Holden as there were no 'luxury' Holdens as such until the late 60's. They were a favourite of well to do farmers & others who needed to cover big distances in style.

JJJ

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:14 am

The European Cruze is about the same as the US model.

The Cruze was developed by Opel and to be honest, the Astra is much better looking than the Cruze.

That's probably why chevy has pulled out and will stop selling cars in Europe at the end of this year (Camaro and Corvette will still be sold, though)

na

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:38 am

A VW Beetle. What else in the late 70s, in Germany?

mad99

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:09 am

Quoting JJJ (Reply 69):
That's probably why chevy has pulled out and will stop selling cars in Europe at the end of this year (Camaro and Corvette will still be sold, though)

i'd guess that the American car maker will focus on the big trucks and big suv's. You don't see much else from them on the road in America do you.

Oh and retro cars, they do seam to be popular in the states.

falstaff
Topic Author

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:31 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 66):
I disagree. I strongly feel that your first car should be a manual. It forces you to pay attention to what you are doing. Much harder to send texts, eat, play with the radio. It also ensures that you can drive whatever car you have available. It is so ridiculous how many people don't know how to drive a manual. IMHO, if you can't drive a manual you shouldn't have a license.

I had to learn to drive a manual before I could drive an automatic. My mom, who is 65, has only owned one automatic vehicle and made sure I knew how to drive a manual. I drive 1978 Ford F-100 almost every day and it has a three on the tree,

Quoting JJJ (Reply 69):
The Cruze was developed by Opel and to be honest, the Astra is much better looking than the Cruze.

Anything built by GM in Europe or the US is far superior to their Korean stuff. Chevrolet badged Daewoos are a disgrace.

Quoting mad99 (Reply 71):
i'd guess that the American car maker will focus on the big trucks and big suv's. You don't see much else from them on the road in America do you.

The crossovers Equinox and Traverse are very popular. The Equinox isn't a large SUV, but a lot of Europeans would think it was. The Traverse is large, but it isn't truck based.

Revelation

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:56 am

Quoting sccutler (Reply 58):
Daewoos are not, and never have been, Chevrolets, no matter what badge they place on them.

Yet it was Chevy who decided to put their badge on a Daewoo so yes it is a Chevy. GM could have chose to market it as Daewoo to protect the Chevy brand but they chose to take the risk of cheapening the brand and that's exactly what's happened. As above they're mostly pulling out of the EU market so they're paying a steep price for doing so.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

mad99

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:09 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 72):
The crossovers Equinox and Traverse are very popular. The Equinox isn't a large SUV, but a lot of Europeans would think it was. The Traverse is large, but it isn't truck based.

ok so large to me  

I was shown how much those big trucks can cost and was shocked. I'm sure that's a good margin, i had no idea they cost 50-60k for some reason i thought they might be less than a car due to it only being 1/2 a car but no.

Skydrol

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:34 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 72):

I honestly consider the rear of the Traverse to be one of the ugliest vehicles I have seen... looks like an over-inflated balloon:

http://chicosautos.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/KSL-Chicos-0054.jpg

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

diverted

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:57 pm

First car was a 1995 Civic DX "special" (I think special meant "no options at all") Manual because my dad insisted I learn standard from the get go, crank windows, awesome little car. Got rear ended the day before my G1 (learner's permit) was up.
Second was a 2001 Jetta 2.0
Third was a 2000 Jetta 1.8T that I scored for next to nothing.
Since then, a variety of beaters and other random junk the last few years.
Had a Mazda Protege 2.0L last year as a winter car; it was actually much better than I was expecting, aside from the body rusting into oblivion.
Currently driving an 04 G35.

falstaff
Topic Author

Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:41 pm

Quoting mad99 (Reply 74):
I'm sure that's a good margin

Trucks are VERY high margin. You can buy a very nice car for as much as a bottom trim level 4x4 pickup. Trucks used to be cheaper, but that was decades ago. The bottom of the line Ford F-150 is much fancier than the tope trim level F-150 was in 1980. Today's non turbo V-6 has more power than the 460 V-8 of the 1980s.

The high margin on trucks shown up in FCA's new UAW contract, All truck and SUV production will shift to the USA and the FCA cars now built in the US will shift to Mexico. The truck's high profit margin will offset the higher labor costs.

Quoting Skydrol (Reply 75):
I honestly consider the rear of the Traverse to be one of the ugliest vehicles I have seen... looks like an over-inflated balloon:

It is ugly, the Buick Enclave is much nicer looking.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 73):
GM could have chose to market it as Daewoo to protect the Chevy brand but they chose to take the risk of cheapening the brand and that's exactly what's happened

I agree. GM should never have badged those things as a Chevy. In the US the handful of Korean built Chevys were never considered American cars or real Chevrolets, by most of the most of the car buying public. GM probably figured non north American car buyers wouldn't know the difference. When I travel in Europe it bugs me to see the Chevrolet brand on a Korean pile of junk. I feel the same here, when I see the useless Spark drive by. The Chevy Sonic isn't any better, but at least it is assembled in the USA (Lake Orion, Michigan).

diverted

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:21 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 77):
I agree. GM should never have badged those things as a Chevy. In the US the handful of Korean built Chevys were never considered American cars or real Chevrolets, by most of the most of the car buying public. GM probably figured non north American car buyers wouldn't know the difference. When I travel in Europe it bugs me to see the Chevrolet brand on a Korean pile of junk. I feel the same here, when I see the useless Spark drive by. The Chevy Sonic isn't any better, but at least it is assembled in the USA (Lake Orion, Michigan).

To be fair, the "domestic" Chevy's of the time frame were utter garbage too. Remember the Cavalier? Cobalt? Venture? Impala? Malibu? Literally everything they made was junk. At least the Corvette was quick for the price, but the seats in teh C5 and C6 were crap! But GM never was known for interior quality....At least people who bought Daewoo's could have known to expect garbage.

910A

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:44 pm

1967 Renault R-10..35mpg..fuel was only 25 cents a gallon and the seats folded down to a bed.

mad99

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:54 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 77):
Trucks are VERY high margin. You can buy a very nice car for as much as a bottom trim level 4x4 pickup. Trucks used to be cheaper, but that was decades ago. The bottom of the line Ford F-150 is much fancier than the tope trim level F-150 was in 1980. Today's non turbo V-6 has more power than the 460 V-8 of the 1980s.

I'm told that the new Ford truck has an aluminium body and bed. What the reaction to that change? Do people doubt it wil be strong enough for serious duty?

What's FCA?

diverted

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Quoting mad99 (Reply 80):
I'm told that the new Ford truck has an aluminium body and bed. What the reaction to that change? Do people doubt it wil be strong enough for serious duty?

What's FCA?

FCA -FIAT Chrysler America

The reactions seem to be mixed. Weight savings, but more difficult to fix. GM has been running an ad where they have an aluminum and steel cage and ask people which they'd trust more, before releasing a bear into the room. I guess they missed the memo that things like shark cages are made out of aluminum...but such is the power of marketing

mad99

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:13 pm

Quoting diverted (Reply 81):
FCA -FIAT Chrysler America

Do people call it that? The spaghetti pickers are running the show now :0

Quoting diverted (Reply 81):
The reactions seem to be mixed. Weight savings, but more difficult to fix. GM has been running an ad where they have an aluminum and steel cage and ask people which they'd trust more, before releasing a bear into the room. I guess they missed the memo that things like shark cages are made out of aluminum...but such is the power of marketing

Its a natural fit, i think these trucks are still body on frame and they don't need to be stiff. Doesn't fit the rught and tough image but most people would never know i guess

CXB77L

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Quoting BreninTW (Reply 64):

Admittedly, no. Australia is in rather short supply of Mondeos, and no Titanium versions are available in any car yard just yet. They're not far away, though.

I have, however, seen, and sat in, the mid range model, and liked what I saw. It's a great looking car, and the build quality is better than anything else Ford has done to date, in my opinion. From the reviews that I've read, however, it lacks the sharp steering of the previous generation (although still better than most other offerings in this segment) but has significantly improved ride and refinement. It's a trade off I'm willing to make. Besides, the Mazda6, nice though it is, is only available as a sedan or wagon, whereas I want a hatch.
Boeing 777 fanboy

LH707330

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:16 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 57):
To be realistic, BMW should have been given a year to clear up their incompetent cooling system. With Year 2 cars having a proper cooling system they could have then fixed up the first years cars as there were less then 10,000 sold in the US. They did eventually send a larger fan, but the dealer installed it backwards, resulting in a few bits of the radiator being hit and having to be pinched off.

Yeah, they definitely messed up with those. I think some beancounters decided that the number of ET blowups during warranty was low enough not to worry about it. I'll just replace my cooling system every 60k and be done with it. Similar story for the DISA, VANOS seals, and the window regulators. At least they fixed the subframe issue before mine was built 
Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 66):

I agree, and so do the Germans, who need to leard it. It forces you to be more deliberate and plan ahead to stay in the power band. I quite like having a manual and NA car, I can downshift early and then rev whenever I'm maneuvering.

BreninTW

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:37 am

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 83):
I have, however, seen, and sat in, the mid range model, and liked what I saw. It's a great looking car, and the build quality is better than anything else Ford has done to date, in my opinion. From the reviews that I've read, however, it lacks the sharp steering of the previous generation (although still better than most other offerings in this segment) but has significantly improved ride and refinement. It's a trade off I'm willing to make. Besides, the Mazda6, nice though it is, is only available as a sedan or wagon, whereas I want a hatch.

Oh agree about the build quality -- it's superb (all the Mondeos here are built in the Spain factory and shipped over). The ride and refinement seemed to be excellent as well, and I love the Aston-esque front of it. Just the combination of the DSG and 2.0 engine in a body that heavy is woeful. Sadly manuals are not available in this country. I found the steering acceptable -- it certainly wasn't anywhere near as vague as the Cortina I learned to park in and despite being electric was nicely weighted. The Focus TDCi steering was awful -- it gives no feedback and it was hard to know where the wheels were headed: That's been fixed for the Mondeo.

In this segement, in Taiwan, the choice was sedan, or sedan. Very few wagons available, unless you're looking at a 3-pointed star, a blue-and-white-roundel, four rings, or the Swedish competition -- all of which are way out of my budget range. The Mondeo hatch looks good, that's for sure.

WarRI1

Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:01 am

A 1941 Chevrolet 2 door Coupe A hand me down from my brother. I paid him 50 bucks for it. You could not kill it. I used to turn square corners with it on pavement. A little light in the rear.  
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

JJJ

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:45 am

Quoting BreninTW (Reply 64):

I'm currently driving one. A 2012 model 2.2TDCi wagon though the lease expires next month and who knows what kind of car will the bean counters choose this time (last month they were giving Kugas)

The interiors hold up very well despite rough use (I work on agrochemicals so plenty of dirt roads, dirty drivers and dusty cargo). There's a bit too much underhang, and the turn radius could be better but overall pretty satisfied.

N1120A

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:05 am

My first car was a 1985 BMW 318i, white with tan interior and those hilariously awesome sheepskin seat covers. My dad, a car dealer, paid something like $800 for it in 1997. It had a computer problem and would shut off at inopportune times, so I gave it back and he replaced it with a 1989 BMW 325i that he paid maybe $1500 for, and made money on the 318.

Those were the cars I drove during my first 9-10 months of driving. I then drove something like 30 cars over the next year. Never had a car more than about 11 months until I got my 1998 BMW M3 in 2002. Kept that for 9 years.

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 10):
1998 Fiat Cinquecento Sporting 1108cc, it was one of the very last built with Seicento steering wheel. I later had full Abarth kit added to it.

Clearly not in Canada.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

sccutler

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:30 pm

Quoting 910A (Reply 79):

1967 Renault R-10..35mpg..fuel was only 25 cents a gallon and the seats folded down to a bed.

Finally, someone else who had one of these.

I had one (a '69) with air conditioning!

More comfortable in ride and drive than their contemporary competition, great gas mileage, plus they were French -
ooh-la-la! Have to say, though, the little rascal was really spinning at 70 MPH, and I don't think that helped longevity much.

These seem to have gotten a little cult-car status, as they're getting pricey in the resale market.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

falstaff
Topic Author

Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:29 pm

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 86):
A 1941 Chevrolet

That is my favorite car of the 1940s. I would love to have one.

Quoting mad99 (Reply 82):
Do people call it that?

Yes...

Quoting 910A (Reply 79):
1967 Renault R-10..35mpg

There was one of those for sale in my neighborhood for $400 a few years ago. I thought about buying it because it was odd, but I knew better than to buy an old French car.

Quoting diverted (Reply 78):
Remember the Cavalier? Cobalt? Venture? Impala? Malibu?

Cavalier, Cobalt and Malibu were turds, but the Impala was ok, if it had the 3800. 1980s and 1990s Cavaliers had a decent reputation. The Venture was a HUGE turd. Around Detroit they usually don't have rockers anymore.

Quoting mad99 (Reply 80):

I live in "Ford Country" (less than 5 miles from Dearborn) so around these parts I don't hear much negative about Ford trucks. I know two people with the new F-150 and neither is concerned with its ruggedness, but they are concerned about repair cost if it sustains body damage. They wonder if insurance companies will "total" the truck more often and their insurance rates will rise.

I read in the Detroit Free Press a year or so ago that Ford built a small fleet of the previous model with aluminum bodies and actually sold them as fleet vehicles, to test the sturdiness of the truck.

diverted

Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:36 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 90):
I read in the Detroit Free Press a year or so ago that Ford built a small fleet of the previous model with aluminum bodies and actually sold them as fleet vehicles, to test the sturdiness of the truck.

Dunno about fleet vehicles, but they definitely stamped a few 2014 bodies in aluminum to disguise the new trucks. To test the new ecoboost motor, they took one of these trucks, race prepped it, and sent it to go run the Baja.

Race prepped is a term used loosely too

Quote:
Unlike previous race trucks, Ford was dead set on using as may production parts as possible. Aside from a set of lift springs, Fox shocks borrowed from the Raptor, a fuel cell in the bed, a cage, and a set of 35/12.50 R17 prototype BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A tires, the truck is bone stock. It even has the factory transmission cooler.

They then threw a real windshield in it, and drove back from Mexico to Michigan

More here

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...-f-150-past-everyone-at-baja-1000/

mwhcvt

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:06 pm

A 1977 Land Rover Series 3 SWB CSW with the 2.25L 4 cyl...purchased it when I was 15 and worked on it till I was 17 where I started to learn to drive in it and used it to take my test, I kept that car for about 5 years until it failed it's MOT in a big way, and then I moved onto 1996 Range Rover P38A 4.0L V8 which I loved but once the bills got silly on that and then sold that for a 2001 P38A but with the 2.5L TD which I still have...

Between the two range rovers I did also use my mums 2010 VW Touran 2.0 TDI which was a lovely car but I had a bit of a whoopsie and wrote it off by rolling it  
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

notaxonrotax

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:14 pm

The very first car I owned.......and I think perhaps the only one in the whole country:

Pontiac Firebird 1985, 2,8 liter V6 automatic.

1985 Pontiac Firebird, v6 automatic.

Bought it in red, with ugly big wheels........but I turned it into a more recognizable vehicle.

It became a headache so I had to get rid of her in the end......some other dude is now doing a thorough overhaul on her.

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

rabenschlag

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:11 pm

First car: Citroen BX 14 TGE (MY 1990). This was a wonderful and incredibly cool car. Large trunk (room for two to sleep if rear seats reclined), frugal (6 l / 100 km), very comfortable, pretty affordable. It also had some issues, but none related to the hydropneumatic suspension, which always worked fine. Back then, just as today, I enjoyed being out of touch with the road as much as possible. Actually, a hydropneumatic Citroen is as close to hovering as it gets.

Current car: Citroen C5 HDI200 (MY2014), which is technically a successor of the BX (with Xantia and C5-MK1 in between), but really is a different world in every respect - except for the hovering.

[Edited 2015-09-24 16:11:46]

PC12Fan

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:33 pm

Wow, very surprised not to see Superfly in this thread! Where you at man?

Mine was as grocery getter as you could get. A 1979 Ford Fairmont. Good car though. Beat the hell out of it and it came back for more.

Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

larshjort

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:52 pm

A VW Polo 1993 Steilheck Van like this one. It had a 1,0 engine with 45 hp when new and a 4 speed gearbox.

The car only failed me once. I was going on a holiday when I went to start the car to go to the airport, the aftermarket immobilizer failed and I was unable to start the car. Other than that incident it was a nice little car very fun to drive at low speeds. I got it up to 150km/h downhill on the autobahn once according to the gps, topspeed was supposedly 145km/h. 0-100km/h 20,5 seconds.
Parts were also very cheap. I replaced shock absorbers, springs and brakes at all four corners for ~1100kr in parts, thats is roughly 165 dollars in todays money.
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am

The first car registered under my name (but paid for by my parents): a 2005 Proton (a Malaysian carmaker) Gen-2 1.6L in grey like the one below. Brits & anyone who have watched Top Gear before would probably be familiar with this car - it's sold in the UK (still selling them, I think) & James May tested it in Series 5.

The first car bought with my own money: a 2012 Proton Saga FLX SE 1.6L. A fairly basic runabout that's good enough for me to get around & is fairly cheap for a four door sedan. However I traded it off last year for a Kia Picanto.

The funny thing is, Proton has a reputation here of being unreliable & is hated by a lot of Malaysians but both of my cars just chugged along reliably without any major malfunctions whatsoever. Manage to rack up a lot of miles driving it from one end of the country down to Singapore. My father's Honda on the other hand, despite the brand's reputation for reliablity, is UNRELIABLE (the only car my family ever owned that required a gearbox change!).

[Edited 2015-09-24 17:26:33]
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

WarRI1

Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:44 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 90):
That is my favorite car of the 1940s. I would love to have one.

At the time, we did not have a clue about saving cars, we drove them and junked them. Of course they were junks to us. I saw a ton of classic cars go to the crusher.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Dreadnought

Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:52 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 98):
At the time, we did not have a clue about saving cars, we drove them and junked them. Of course they were junks to us. I saw a ton of classic cars go to the crusher.

True. When I was in high school you could buy a 1968 or 1969 Camaro or Mustang (in rough shape, but perfectly drivable) for less than $1000. You'd run it until the engine blew up and trashed it. Now even a rough car is worth easily 5 figures, and a fully restored one easily 6 figures...