nitepilot79
Topic Author

Future Of Recreational Pot In The U.S.A.?

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:46 am

The "buzz" in this article seems to "stem" from the results of a recent swing state poll, with numbers indicating "budding" approval of the complete legalization of marijuana   .

Even if it's not one's "bag", I think it needs to happen.

http://www.ibtimes.com/marijuana-leg...r-legalizing-weed-over-any-1871140

Article quote:

"Marijuana is more popular than Hillary Clinton, Jeb Bush, Ted Cruz or any other potential 2016 presidential hopeful in three major battleground states and could be a topic candidates will find difficult to avoid come campaign time. More than 80 percent of voters in Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania support legalizing marijuana for medical purposes, and a slight majority in each state supports allowing adults to consume pot for recreational purposes, according to the latest polling from Quinnipiac, released Monday.

The poll was conducted between March 17 and 28 and underscores the growing popularity of looser cannabis laws in the U.S., meaning marijuana is likely to be a mainstream election issue this year. A recent report from the Brookings Institution found that pot policy is a subject that appeals to candidates on both sides of the aisle and one that has become increasingly important as more states soften their marijuana laws, pursue medical marijuana legislation or legalize it all together."

[Edited 2015-09-22 21:16:34]

seb146

RE: Future Of Recreational Pot In The U.S.A.?

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:01 am

Quoting nitepilot79 (Thread starter):
Even if it's not one's "bag", I think it needs to happen.

I can not use it in any way. The effects on me are horrific. But, I have to say that both marijuana and hemp need to be at least decriminalized. Full legalization for adults would be ideal, but the Bible thumpers will not hear of it. If you have ever been in customer service and dealt with someone who is stoned versus someone who is drunk, that writes the majority of why. Medically, cannabis is effective for many things and is natural.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:05 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 1):

If I may ask, seb146, what makes it such a bad experience?

seb146

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:14 am

Quoting nitepilot79 (Reply 2):
what makes it such a bad experience?

I always have a sense of fear and dread and death. I always feel like I am about to die. My partner has his California medical card and we visited some legal shops in SEA over the summer. I can deal with second hand, but not full on taking any in any fashion.

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:30 am

[quote=seb146,reply=3]I always have a sense of fear and dread and death. I always feel like I am about to die.

Sounds terrible.

seb146

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:35 am

Quoting nitepilot79 (Reply 4):
Sounds terrible

I don't mind. I am just tired of all this controversy over a plant.

jetwet1

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:40 am

The effects on me are horrific.

With me I get super aggressive, very strange I know.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 5):

I don't mind. I am just tired of all this controversy over a plant.

To be fair, it's a plant that has some strange effects.

But, I am really amazed someone hasn't jumped on the pot bandwagon, heck I know a few die hard Republicans that would vote for an Obama 3rd term if he could get legalized pot through.

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:42 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 3):
I always have a sense of fear and dread and death. I always feel like I am about to die.

I feel that way when I've had too much coffee. Almost a panic attack.

[Edited 2015-09-22 22:09:32]

vikkyvik

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:13 am

Quoting nitepilot79 (Reply 7):
Almost a panic attack.

I haven't smoked in years and have no plans to do so, but I've had panic attacks from it twice. Granted, at the time I had no real idea of its effects, and had no idea how much (or little) to smoke. But those two experiences were not much fun at all.

Nevertheless, I fully support legalization. For the life of me, I'll never understand why alcohol is legal and pot isn't.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Aaron747

Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:39 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 8):
For the life of me, I'll never understand why alcohol is legal and pot isn't.

Bigger industry at the time Prohibition ended, other than that, definitely makes no sense. Sooner or later, it will be the law of the land in all but the most conservative states.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

einsteinboricua

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:19 pm

Company rules forbid employees to smoke even synthetic pot, at the risk of losing our jobs if a surprise drug test is ever done and we test positive. I've always wanted to smoke at least once, just to get it out of my system.

Missouri has begun collecting signatures for a constitutional amendment to allow the use for medical purposes, though some divisions have been pushing for full legalization. I find it strange that St. Louis, being an independent city, hasn't gone through with this.

but the Bible thumpers will not hear of it.

But...but...but...Yahweh created everything so it must be good...
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

mbmbos

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:50 pm

Here in Massachusetts, a bill to legalize recreational use of marijuana has finally made it passed the petition phase and will be on the ballot in 2016. It has a fairly good chance of passing.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

Adipasquale

Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:10 pm

Because Ronald Reagan said that if you smoke pot, you will 100% end up doing hard drugs and end up in prison or dead. In all seriousness though, the first drug laws in the U.S. came about not because of a concern for people's well being, but out of racism. They banned the consumption of opium, which was used predominantly by the Chinese. Because drugs came into popular use much later than alcohol, and were used predominantly by minorities, they were stigmatized more than alcohol and tobacco. Granted, many drugs have much more serious and detrimental effects than alcohol or tobacco, and rightly deserve to be banned, but marijuana got lumped in with these other drugs despite the fact that it is not any more serious than alcohol. Methinks that in the next decade, we will see the sale and consumption of marijuana for recreational use legalized for people 21 and older.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 77L 77W

seb146

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:05 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 10):
Company rules forbid employees to smoke even synthetic pot, at the risk of losing our jobs if a surprise drug test is ever done and we test positive.

There are industries where I support testing for any mind altering substances.

Quoting mbmbos (Reply 11):
Here in Massachusetts, a bill to legalize recreational use of marijuana has finally made it passed the petition phase and will be on the ballot in 2016. It has a fairly good chance of passing.

California will be voting to legalize it soon, too. But, I suspect the medical marijuana industry will be trying to stop it in some degree. Probably not the growers but probably the sellers and certification clinics. It will pass here. They say MJ is one of the largest, if not THE largest cash crop in the state. Once it is legalize, regulated, and taxed, that will be a huge bonus for us!

mham001

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:56 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 13):
They say MJ is one of the largest, if not THE largest cash crop in the state.

I rent land and a greenhouse to (legal) growers. It has been quite a pump in the local economy in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

einsteinboricua

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:18 pm

Well, it's not that different from being drunk. If you do it off-site and you show up completely competent to work, what is it to the company whether you got high or drunk over the weekend?

canoecarrier

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:46 pm

I agree with that. Regardless of what pro-pot folks say, there are negative effects to using pot. Some of them (as in your case) are negative enough to impair judgment. As you say, there are some professions that I fully support mandatory testing for any mind altering drug.

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 6):
I know a few die hard Republicans that would vote for an Obama 3rd term if he could get legalized pot through.

I voted for pot legalization here in WA, I even occasionally go to a recreational shop here to buy it. But, it is not, nor will it ever be, the only reason I would ever vote for a presidential candidate. Honestly, if pot was illegal tomorrow here it would have zero effect on me. It's just not that important of an issue.

The main downside I've seen here is that they sold the initiative as you can have pot legally in your own home. I'm fine with that. But, the restriction on public pot smoking is totally unenforced here, and it's particularly bad with homeless people. You can walk around downtown Seattle and smell pot everywhere. As a business owner I wouldn't want people smoking pot around my store just like I wouldn't want people openly drinking nearby. It's also tolerated in public parks. So, now I have to deal with someone smoking pot next to the kids playground if I take my kids out. Essentially, if the laws were enforced as written I'd have no problem with it, but they aren't.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

diverted

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:52 pm

Quoting Canoecarrier (Reply 16):
I agree with that. Regardless of what pro-pot folks say, there are negative effects to using pot. Some of them (as in your case) are negative enough to impair judgment. As you say, there are some professions that I fully support mandatory testing for any mind altering drug.

I'm ok with testing if it's similar to alcohol testing. However, (and I'm no expert) currently the methods used are so broad that it's essentially a "you smoked in the last week." If you can narrow it down and establish intoxication, I'm ok with it. But I don't think it's fair to punish someone for what they do on their free time.

Maverick623

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:45 pm

and is natural.

Careful with that. Snake venom is natural, too.

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 6):
heck I know a few die hard Republicans that would vote for an Obama 3rd term if he could get legalized pot through.

The only people opposed to legalizing cannabis are those who profit from its prohibition. Religious groups (opium for the masses), Big Pharma, law enforcement, and drug cartels.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Revelation

Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:27 pm

Quoting adipasquale (Reply 12):
Because Ronald Reagan said that if you smoke pot, you will 100% end up doing hard drugs and end up in prison or dead.

Believe it or not, the DEA started under Nixon's administration ( ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_Enforcement_Administration ). IMHO one of Nixon's paranoid projections ( hallucinations? ) was that most people who disagreed with his politics must be on drugs, and thus the crackdowns (sic).
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

vikkyvik

Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:29 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 18):

Well hell. Obviously we should outlaw snake venom.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

canoecarrier

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:01 pm

Quoting diverted (Reply 17):
But I don't think it's fair to punish someone for what they do on their free time.

Many companies refuse to hire people that smoke tobacco. I see no difference here. Alaska Airlines won't hire you if your a tobacco user even on in your free time. Presumably they could and can do that for pot users.

aerorobnz

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:03 pm

I don't partake. but It should be legal by way of a Supreme court ruling (same way as Same-gender Marriage was). How can something that grows naturally in latin America be illegal?? It's dried and smoked, not extracted and processed like Pharmaceutical medications and other Narcotics. It should be legal to use mushrooms, lick toads etc as well.

But ideal for the death penalty the religious right all love? As a aside, remember when they postponed an execution in USA because they ran out of the right drugs?? It wouldn't have been a problem if they had used a Black Mamba or another of the super lethal snakes as the "Organic" way of inflicting death.

The only people opposed to legalizing cannabis are those who profit from its prohibition. Religious groups (opium for the masses), Big Pharma, law enforcement, and drug cartels.

Totally agree.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

seb146

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:52 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 15):
Well, it's not that different from being drunk.

It is very different. The few times I have smoked, I have felt the effects longer than when I went on a bender.

I'm ok with testing if it's similar to alcohol testing.

Interesting this would be brought up now. I am for legalization and my brosband (we are not yet legally married and "boyfriend" sounds childish) smokes pot. We drove across Washington state this summer, as we do most every summer, from ALW to SEA and back here to STS. We took the ferry from Oak Harbor to Port Townsend so we could see the Olympic Mountains. We camped near Deception Pass and drove down to the ferry dock, made the crossing, and started heading toward the Olympics. I was following a BMW, which was my only mistake. He was going about 75 in a 55. The brosband had been smoking a little. A Washington State Patrol car pulled us over and he smelled the pot so, I got a sobriety test because I was the one driving. It was very similar to an alcohol sobriety test. He could tell I was not on anything at all and actually had to go rescue someone less than 1000 feet away, so I got no ticket.

It was very interesting to me. My first (and hopefully last) sobriety test ever.

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 22):
It should be legal to use mushrooms, lick toads etc as well.

Opium as well?

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 22):
It wouldn't have been a problem if they had used a Black Mamba or another of the super lethal snakes as the "Organic" way of inflicting death

Slightly off topic but: I am against the death penalty. But, I wonder if states that do carry out the death penalty were to OD those up for execution on heroin, what about that? I mean, I read a detailed article on what scientists think happen when a heroin addict ODs and they say there is very little pain at all. In fact, they believe that they don't even know it is happening. It seems that would be safer than a series of chemical injections that have to be done precisely.

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:28 am

The main downside I've seen here is that they sold the initiative as you can have pot legally in your own home. I'm fine with that. But, the restriction on public pot smoking is totally unenforced here, and it's particularly bad with homeless people. You can walk around downtown Seattle and smell pot everywhere. As a business owner I wouldn't want people smoking pot around my store just like I wouldn't want people openly drinking nearby. It's also tolerated in public parks. So, now I have to deal with someone smoking pot next to the kids playground if I take my kids out. Essentially, if the laws were enforced as written I'd have no problem with it, but they aren't

Pot smoking in public isn't rampant here in Denver. I don't have a car, walk around all the time, and have resided here 6 months. Smelled it 4 or 5 times.

IMHO... Seattle's recent move for legal pot is leading to the frequent public use you mention above, but the novelty will eventually wear off, and pot smoke won't be fogging out the city.

seb146

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:46 am

Quoting nitepilot79 (Reply 24):
Pot smoking in public isn't rampant here in Denver.

Interesting. I have smelled it in every major city I have ever visited. I think you will find the negative if you look hard enough. I can pick out clove cigarettes vs. tobacco vs. pot walking down any street. I don't care. If I am outside walking along, I still have a better opportunity to breathe fresh air.

Seattle is like a moist version of San Francisco. There will be pot smokers on the street but so what? If they are that into smoking, they are probably too busy jonesing for a bag of Doritos and a Big Mac to think about anything else.

rwessel

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:00 am

I'm ok with testing if it's similar to alcohol testing. However, (and I'm no expert) currently the methods used are so broad that it's essentially a "you smoked in the last week." If you can narrow it down and establish intoxication, I'm ok with it. But I don't think it's fair to punish someone for what they do on their free time.

The typical drug tests used by companies test for metabolites, which can be detected for a couple of weeks in your blood. All the actual THC is long gone by then, of course. You *can* test for THC directly, and Colorado, for example, does that for intoxicated drivers. The direct THC test is more along the lines of what the blood-alcohol test do, but it is more expensive

There are certainly jobs where I don't want people showing up impaired, but the common marijuana drug test doesn't measure that.

TSS

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:05 am

Because Ronald Reagan said that if you smoke pot, you will 100% end up doing hard drugs and end up in prison or dead.

Prior to that, William Randolph Hearst had a problem with pot smokers, and through his papers launched a propaganda campaign against marijuana. Hearst even enlisted Fiorello LaGuardia to conduct a study detailing the horrible effects of pot smoking, but probably wasn't too pleased when LaGuardia found basically none. As has been mentioned up-thread Nixon got the anti-pot ball rolling again, but after Nixon got impeached it became more of a "nudge-nudge, wink-wink" thing until Reagan got in office as evidenced by two examples of popular mainstream movies from the early Reagan years: 9 to 5 (1980), in which the three main female characters share a joint one of the characters got from her son, get the munchies, and compare various fantasies of retribution on their evil boss, and Poltergeist (1982), in which the mother smokes a joint in the tub to relax after recovering her daughter from the ghosts in her house. When these movies are shown on TV now the pot smoking references are edited out, but they might still be viewable on the DVDs.

They say MJ is one of the largest, if not THE largest cash crop in the state. Once it is legalize, regulated, and taxed, that will be a huge bonus for us!

It's the same with Alabama- Marijuana has been our largest cash crop by a wide margin for most of my life, yet the state makes no tax revenue from it. Making marijuana legal in Alabama and then taxing it's sale would be a great way to fix our current state budget crisis.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

N1120A

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:14 am

California will be voting to legalize it soon, too. But, I suspect the medical marijuana industry will be trying to stop it in some degree. Probably not the growers but probably the sellers and certification clinics. It will pass here. They say MJ is one of the largest, if not THE largest cash crop in the state.

The medical marijuana industry won't be against it - they have distribution networks in place that would give them a leg up. The main opponents are often the growers, because they fear a move from the easily hidden fields in Mendocino and Humboldt and into the much more fertile, and desperate for a low water use cash crop Central Valley.

Nuts and wine are the largest cash crops in the state.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

einsteinboricua

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:51 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 23):
Well, it's not that different from being drunk.

It is very different. The few times I have smoked, I have felt the effects longer than when I went on a bender.

What I mean is that you're under the influence of a drug, whether legal or illegal. However, it does bring up an ethical point: we can allow people to get drunk (all while alcohol damages your liver), we can allow people to smoke tobacco (while it damages your lungs)...what's so wrong with pot which, if used moderately, could have better effects than the previous two?

WildcatYXU

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:50 pm

I can not use it in any way. The effects on me are horrific.

I don't want to dispute what you wrote, seb146, but are you sure it's marijuana? Isn't it your general reaction to mind altering substances? I have a very fresh experience myself. Not with marijuana, but with alcohol. We have a serious problem in our family currently and I had to cut my alcohol consumption drastically due to this. Having more alcohol than a 12 ouncer of beer with my dinner is making my anxiety much worse. I don't even dare to think about another bottle.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

canoecarrier

Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:35 pm

Quoting nitepilot79 (Reply 24):

IMHO... Seattle's recent move for legal pot is leading to the frequent public use you mention above, but the novelty will eventually wear off, and pot smoke won't be fogging out the city.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. In the downtown Seattle area it is pretty evident in the homeless population. I don't see that changing. To be fair though, I see this mostly in the city not as much if at all outside of downtown. I've seen people with a bong at bus stop just a few blocks from Pike Place Market, which reflects just as poorly on our city IMO than someone drinking in public.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 25):
Seattle is like a moist version of San Francisco. There will be pot smokers on the street but so what?

Well, other it is supposed to be illegal to smoke in public places here? And, like I said, I'm not anti-pot, but I would rather not have had this bait and switch where they wrote the law one way and are enforcing it completely differently after it passed.

diverted

Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:13 pm

Quoting Canoecarrier (Reply 31):
We'll have to agree to disagree here. In the downtown Seattle area it is pretty evident in the homeless population. I don't see that changing. To be fair though, I see this mostly in the city not as much if at all outside of downtown. I've seen people with a bong at bus stop just a few blocks from Pike Place Market, which reflects just as poorly on our city IMO than someone drinking in public.

I was flying out of SEA a few months back, and had a few hours to kill. Decided to go grab a beer at some dive bar near the airport with a buddy. Sitting on the patio, and the group next to us all pulls their pipes out and lights up. Personally, I don't care, but it's definitely something I'm not used to.

StarAC17

Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:37 pm

Because Ronald Reagan said that if you smoke pot, you will 100% end up doing hard drugs and end up in prison or dead. In all seriousness though, the first drug laws in the U.S. came about not because of a concern for people's well being, but out of racism.

Very true and out of business as well. Hemp is a very big threat to the pulp industry (much cheaper paper can be made out of hemp) and has other uses such as clothing.

Granted, many drugs have much more serious and detrimental effects than alcohol or tobacco, and rightly deserve to be banned, but marijuana got lumped in with these other drugs despite the fact that it is not any more serious than alcohol.

If we ranked drugs on how dangerous they were then why is alcohol still legal. I drink and I am full aware that the stuff I'm drinking can kill you if you had too much of it and failed to control yourself.

Well, it's not that different from being drunk. If you do it off-site and you show up completely competent to work, what is it to the company whether you got high or drunk over the weekend?

Companies today seem to want to be in your business more than ever although I don't want people showing up impaired but come on you can detect THC a month after smoking pot and the wear off time is similar to that of booze.

I don't want anyone high driving as I don't want ea

Quoting seb146 (Reply 23):
Opium as well?

Some of the most dangerous legal drugs are made from opium and they are prescription narcotics. IIRC a large chunk of drug deaths come from these drugs (essentially legal heroin) and even having one beer can be life threatening.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

seb146

Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:39 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 30):
I don't want to dispute what you wrote, seb146, but are you sure it's marijuana? Isn't it your general reaction to mind altering substances?

I have talked to people who have the same experience and it is just pot. I have tried other things when I was young and stupid and did not have that reaction.

it is supposed to be illegal to smoke in public places here? And, like I said, I'm not anti-pot, but I would rather not have had this bait and switch where they wrote the law one way and are enforcing it completely differently after it passed

I think the anti smoking laws are almost impossible to enforce. Anyone can smell whatever is being smoked, but finding where it is coming from is a different matter.

The town I grew up in, and some neighboring towns, are passing laws against smoking pot anywhere. Even though possession is legal in Oregon. The PDT ordinance says that if anyone can smell pot being smoked, the police can get involved. People there are outraged over such stupid and invasive ordinances.

Quoting diverted (Reply 32):
Sitting on the patio, and the group next to us all pulls their pipes out and lights up.

Maybe it is a generational thing. I don't think it is strange at all. But, the novelty will wear off. It already has here. When it is legalized here, I suspect there will be a day or two of public smoking by some but, for the most part, it will be life as usual.

mbmbos

Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:55 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 34):
I have talked to people who have the same experience and it is just pot. I have tried other things when I was young and stupid and did not have that reaction.

I have two friends who have reacted negatively to pot. Both have tried it on more than one occasion and they consistently got terrible headaches and nausea. So it's not for everyone.

I noticed, however, that some people on this thread reported elevated anxiety level. Most if not all pot smokers have experienced anxiety at one time or another, and it's almost always due to dosage. If you smoke or otherwise ingest too much, you may experience a temporary jolt of anxiety or general malaise. For those reporting such an experience, you might try reducing the amount you imbibe.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

diverted

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:03 pm

Maybe it is a generational thing. I don't think it is strange at all. But, the novelty will wear off. It already has here. When it is legalized here, I suspect there will be a day or two of public smoking by some but, for the most part, it will be life as usual.

Haha, you calling me young or old? I'm 26 by the way. By no means naive when it comes to pot use, but still found it strange to see them toking on a patio. Mainly just because even though we have really lax laws regarding it, it's still not the kind of thing people will do at a bar. Walking down the street, sure.

seb146

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:34 pm

Quoting mbmbos (Reply 35):
still found it strange to see them toking on a patio. Mainly just because even though we have really lax laws regarding it, it's still not the kind of thing people will do at a bar.

I think it goes back to "the novelty will wear off soon." Some places have designated smoking areas outside. Even though pot is not legal for all in California, people still use the designated smoking areas for both tobacco and marijuana. I have noticed it is the same in Oregon and Washington.

The West Coast is much more relaxed when it comes to marijuana, I have noticed. Yes, there are exceptions. I grew up in Oregon and also lived in the Seattle area and now am just north of San Francisco. Seeing people toke up is an everyday thing. I do not find it strange at all.

Quoting mbmbos (Reply 35):
Both have tried it on more than one occasion and they consistently got terrible headaches and nausea. So it's not for everyone.

Exactly. Even with just one puff, I feel horrible. I am all for legalizing it, I just won't use.

canoecarrier

Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:00 pm

I think the anti smoking laws are almost impossible to enforce. Anyone can smell whatever is being smoked, but finding where it is coming from is a different matter.

There are certain areas of the city where they should and can enforce the law as it is written. Pioneer Square and the 3rd/Pine/Pike area should be nearly off limits to public intoxication of any kind IMO. They're high crime (for this city) and have a lot of tourist traffic. They're also areas that you see most of the publicly intoxicated homeless population here. These laws aren't unenforceable the two areas I mentioned are highly policed by the city and not that long ago the city attorney reversed a bunch of tickets that had been written for open pot smoking. Of course, he was first in line to buy the first gram of pot from the first legal store that opened in Seattle.

Quoting diverted (Reply 32):
Sitting on the patio, and the group next to us all pulls their pipes out and lights up. Personally, I don't care, but it's definitely something I'm not used to.

I wouldn't be completely against smoking pot outdoors in a fenced off area in a patio at a bar (21+ as opposed to an all ages bar and grill). But, not anytime on the street, sidewalk or inside the bar. Although your body reacts differently when you mix pot and alcohol, I'd rather use in practice be within the walls of your own home.

Revelation

Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:31 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 27):
it became more of a "nudge-nudge, wink-wink" thing until Reagan got in office

i agree. I was in high school in the late 70s and I describe it as the bad hangover of the sex and drugs 60s. The experimentation of the 60s had run its course without any real effect, and the world really didn't know what to make of it all. To me it seemed we were all hung-over zombies.

One example of wink wink I can think of is that friends of mine said pot was being smoked openly at Fenway Park in Boston. Seems unreal in today's climate, no? My high school had a legitimate "smoking area" because it was legal to smoke tobacco at 16, but a lot of other things were being smoked there too. Of course it was common at rock concerts back then, and even certain movie theaters had a reputation for being "cool", or not.

In the downtown Seattle area it is pretty evident in the homeless population.

Nice, no money for housing, but enough money for weed, sigh...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

scamp

Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:15 pm

But, I suspect the medical marijuana industry will be trying to stop it in some degree.

Why would they? Who is more ready to go than medicinal pot shops? They have the product, it is quality (trust me); who would be more ready to get the first wave of purchase the moment it becomes legal than the people that have it already?

Admittedly, they would be losing the fees that are associated with the script, but they still wouldn't have to worry about only buying a new car every OTHER year.
If it pisses off the right, I'm all for it.

canoecarrier

Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Pot sold in medicinal pot stores isn't taxed as heavily as in the recreational shops in Washington. You only pay sales tax, which is in the neighborhood of 9%. The state is now looking at merging the two so they are treated exactly the same and applying the same tax to all pot sold in every pot store. Since the pot tax is around 40% in rec shops medicinal stores have had a significant advantage in price. That would go away.

seb146

Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:56 pm

Quoting Canoecarrier (Reply 41):
Pot sold in medicinal pot stores isn't taxed as heavily as in the recreational shops in Washington.

California has medical and has a medical marijuana board which sets rules and regulations. But, when it is legalized for 21 and older, then what? I don't understand why they are just now coming up with the medical marijuana board when legalization is going to happen so soon.

canoecarrier

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:29 pm

I'm sure CA is a lot like WA here. WA took forever and missed every deadline they had to establish rules for retail sales, distribution and grow ops. The entire bureaucracy was centered around running state liquor stores and in a couple years we disbanded the state liquor store sale system and they had to reorganize to regulate pot sales.

seb146

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Quoting Canoecarrier (Reply 43):
I'm sure CA is a lot like WA here

California has a state liquor board but no state run liquor stores. I am sure the rules that are now being established for medical use will probably just be amended for recreational use. Probably the same stores that sell medical only will roll over their licences to recreational.

canoecarrier

Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:20 pm

Where I agree with the guy up thread about the novelty wearing off is with supply. The medical stores were largely unregulated and operated in a legal grey area. If the state merges them all there will be way too many stores to support. You can really drive up 99 north of Seattle and there is a pot store almost every other block. I think that goes away after a while. Maybe I'm wrong but there really can't be that much demand. Right now the prices are nearly the same everywhere the only thing I would use to decide where to go is convenience.

seb146

Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:31 pm

Quoting Canoecarrier (Reply 45):
Maybe I'm wrong but there really can't be that much demand. Right now the prices are nearly the same everywhere the only thing I would use to decide where to go is convenience.

There really is not that much demand. We went to four different stores in western Washington. None seemed busy and they all had the same prices and products. Two of the stores were across the street from each other in SoDo. I do think that is a bit overkill.

We have a number of convenience stores here. I choose one over the other because I know the people. I think that is how it will ultimately work in Washington, too.

Oregon, however, is a different story. Two cities are banning legal sales: Albany and Pendleton. Pendleton has gone so far as to pass an ordinance that if even if someone smells pot, the smoker can be fined. Backward thinking and not worth it, IMO.

N415XJ

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:45 pm

I'll bet anyone 3 big fat joints that pot will be legal nationwide within 10 years.

[Edited 2015-09-26 16:46:30]

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:32 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 46):
Oregon, however, is a different story. Two cities are banning legal sales: Albany and Pendleton. Pendleton has gone so far as to pass an ordinance that if even if someone smells pot, the smoker can be fined. Backward thinking and not worth it, IMO.

Upper levels in Colorado Springs, last I heard, are not in support of leniency towards recreational pot. There is a big military community there. Kind of reminds me of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dry_communities_by_U.S._state

ArmitageShanks

Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:46 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 46):
There really is not that much demand. We went to four different stores in western Washington. None seemed busy and they all had the same prices and products. Two of the stores were across the street from each other in SoDo. I do think that is a bit overkill.

I found the same in Washington. I went to 2 different stores and both had no wait and about 5-8 people browsing. I thought that was a pretty good amount of customers though. Colorado was different. I've had to wait 10 minutes just to get inside a few places. That might just be so each person has a dedicated employee to explain whats what but it was much busier in Colorado. No surprise there though, haha.

Everyone was so friendly too. Its rare to see people in retail actually excited about what they were selling.