Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GrahamHill
Topic Author

F1 2015: Japanese GP

Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:09 pm

I open the Japanese GP thread, but I don't have time to be fancy with track maps and miscellaneous data...

Lots of rain during Friday practice, which allowed Sainz to top the first session and Kvyat the second.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

GrahamHill
Topic Author

RE: F1 2015: Japanese GP

Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:29 pm

According to Autosport, Grosjean has signed for Haas: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120977

It was in the air, but now seems confirmed. Press conference will be held on Tuesday.

CPH-R

Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:55 am

Looks like normal service has been resumed after last week blip, with both Mercs qualifying a good ½ a second faster than the rest of the pack.

scbriml

Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:01 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 2):
Looks like normal service has been resumed after last week blip, with both Mercs qualifying a good ½ a second faster than the rest of the pack.

Yes, of course. Singapore was clearly a 'blip' for them.

So Roberg on pole by 7/100s from Hamilton. Unfortunately we were denied the final shoot-out due to Kvyat's massive crash. Not that we would have seen it because the director didn't show us a single Mercedes lap. Why follow a Williams when both Mercs are behind him and were obviously going to be pole and second?   

Glad Kvyat is OK, was a pretty horrible crash.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34368395
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

MadameConcorde

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:29 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 2):

I missed out on Qualifyings and practices due to the stupid o'clock in the (early) morning streamings.
I did not watch so I can't predict anything yet. I will have to be very careful and set my alarm clock not to miss the race.

Thinking of Jules. He will be watching the race from up on Planet F1 far beyond the sky.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Stealthz

Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:01 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 3):
Glad Kvyat is OK, was a pretty horrible crash.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34368395

And the F...d up F1 media licensing strikes again-
"Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory."

Glad Kvyat is OK though!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

andrej

Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:54 pm

Quoting stealthz (Reply 5):
And the F...d up F1 media licensing strikes again

Liveleak to the rescue!  http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=986_1443263095

scbriml

Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:05 pm

Quoting stealthz (Reply 5):
"Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory."

Ah, apologies. I suspect that's more to do with me linking a BBC video. I don't think you can normally watch BBC videos outside the UK.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:30 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 7):
Ah, apologies. I suspect that's more to do with me linking a BBC video.
I don't think you can normally watch BBC videos outside the UK.

Sure you can, chrome+hola=true. Usually works fine.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

notaxonrotax

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:43 pm

I use "Hide My Ass".....to "move" to the UK...in order to listen to BBC5 commentary!

Big shunt of Kvyat.....he had to change chassis.
Thus....he will start from the pitlane.

Verstappen left his car on the track...and was penalized 3 spots.
He will start 17th.

ROS pole....let's see if he can impose his authority tomorrow.

VET will have to get his skates on too; if he wants to keep his championship dreams alive.

The 5 red lights will go dark at midnight here....can't wait!

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

CPH-R

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 pm

Quoting thunderboltdrgn (Reply 8):
Sure you can, chrome+hola=true. Usually works fine.

If you're using the free version of Hola, I'd recommend you uninstall it immediately.

See http://adios-hola.org for details.

andz

Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:36 pm

I heard something in the commentary today about the drivers not being allowed to change their helmet designs, research online told me this is "so that fans can tell who they are watching". Some fan, if you need to see the helmet to know who is driving the car. What a stupid rule.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

scbriml

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:03 pm

Quoting andz (Reply 11):
What a stupid rule.

No, it's where the FIA shows leadership.   

MadameConcorde

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:18 pm

Japanese Fans - the Heart of Suzuka

"Nowhere in the world do we get support like in Japan." That's the verdict of F1 drivers - now meet the fans at Suzuka.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44tZtatYaYY

I would place Monza as equal to Suzuka on fans support. Both different, both amazing.

notaxonrotax

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:09 pm

Quoting andz (Reply 11):
Some fan, if you need to see the helmet to know who is driving the car. What a stupid rule.

Not a great FIA fan here.....but to be fair: the color of the helmet is one of the main clues to tell team mates apart.
In 2013 and less so in 2014, it was not easy to see the start number of the cars; so the helmet became kind of key!
(This has improved this year, or so it seems).

Yes, die-hard fans can tell who is who by looking for other clues like traffic around the car in a given stage of the race, the color the driver chose for that particular weekend or even by how specific drivers move their head; in some cases!
But to attract the average TV viewer to F1, Vettel changing the color of his helmet every fortnight does not improve the transparency of the sport.

I turn it around: why should they change their helmet?
It is the only part of the uniform we can see from a distance!
If they change their shoes or add some kneepads, who cares?
But their helmet becomes part of the "livery", so to speak; nothing wrong by keeping that as recognizable as possible.

(Although I agree that for commemorating certain events or people, possible exceptions can be made).

I personally like that the likes of Prost and Senna had (roughly) the same kind of colors on their helmet throughout their careers! And Father and Son Hill of course.....

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

zkojq

Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:01 am

Good work by the Red Bull mechanics!

From the last thread (since I probably shouldn't drag it out further):

Quoting moo (Reply 48):
Williams last won the WCC in 1997, and they had a works spec engine that year as Renault only had customer teams, they didn't have a works team.

Yet they don't keep threatening to pull out of F1.

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 50):
Winning the championship again is still the end goal. We just need to build a better car than Mercedes.

First to fly the 787-9

CPH-R

Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:44 am

Things to take away from todays race:
Another cock-up from Rosberg, leading to another quiet sunday drive & win for Hamilton.
Alonso appears to have lost patience with the Honda engine #gp2engine

scbriml

Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:22 am

Normal service has been resumed, in all ways. As soon as Hamilton got close to Rosberg, there was only ever going to be one winner going into turns one and two.

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 16):
Alonso appears to have lost patience with the Honda engine #gp2engine

I understand his frustration, but one must not forget that he is where he is by his own choice. Since he left Renault, he's very much caused disharmony and team friction wherever he's been. He's done nothing to dispel the view that he just throws his toys out the pram when he doesn't get everything he wants (fair enough, many racing drivers are like this, but Alonso also seems to have a nasty streak - his first stint at McLaren being a perfect example.) He'd be in a much better position if he'd stayed at Ferrari.

MadameConcorde

Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:57 pm

Japanese Grand Prix 2015
Drivers Teams Points
1 LC Hamilton (GBR) Mercedes 25
2 N Rosberg (GER) Mercedes 18
3 S Vettel (GER) Ferrari 15
4 KM Räikkönen (FIN) Ferrari 12
5 V Bottas (FIN) Williams 10
6 N Hülkenberg (GER) Force India 8
7 R Grosjean (FRA) Lotus 6
8 P Maldonado (VEN) Lotus 4
9 M Verstappen (NED) Toro Rosso 2
10 C Sainz Jr (ESP) Toro Rosso 1
11 F Alonso (ESP) McLaren -
12 S Perez (MEX) Force India -
13 D Kvyat (RUS) Red Bull -
14 M Ericsson (SWE) Sauber -
15 D Ricciardo (AUS) Red Bull -
16 J Button (GBR) McLaren -
17 F Massa (BRA) Williams -
18 A Rossi (USA) Manor Marussia -
19 W Stevens (GBR) Manor Marussia -

Fernando Alonso GP2 engine GP2 (scream)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1_it-KIp6k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J91ihzPL854

notaxonrotax

Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:26 pm

Good race.
Not the most exciting, but the turn 1 & turn 2 action between the Merc boys was interesting.
Once again HAM beats ROS.....same same, when all things are equal for both drivers.
41 wins, he will now look to pass VET and then Prost on the all time GP win hall of fame.

Ferrari was the obvious second, let's hope their final 4 tokens + new engine can threaten Mercedes in Putin's backyard; in a fortnight.

Again Verstappen excelled, and rightfully beat Sainz who dropped the ball upon entering the pitlane.

MAL did fine, hope they drug test him!

No Tax On Rotax

CXB77L

Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:10 pm

Quoting andz (Reply 11):
Some fan, if you need to see the helmet to know who is driving the car. What a stupid rule.
Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 14):
But their helmet becomes part of the "livery", so to speak; nothing wrong by keeping that as recognizable as possible.

I see both sides of the argument. I started watching F1 when it was the norm that drivers kept the same helmet design every race of every year. They never really changed at all. I think this trend of changing helmets started around the early 2000s when Schumacher changed his helmet to an all red one, then Irvine changed his, as did Button (mildly); Raikkonen's changed every year, and if I'm honest, helmet designs got gradually worse over time.

So yes, helmets are part of a driver's livery, as it were. From the era I started watching F1, most drivers had a distinctive helmet with which we could tell who was who from a distance, in addition to the more prominent car numbers in those days. Hill, Villeneuve, Coulthard, Mansell all had their distinctive colour schemes, and each of their helmet designs had a certain elegant simplicity about them, unlike today's helmets which are far too messy and complicated.

On the other hand, F1 has become too much of a nanny state. Ban this, ban that, ban driver helmet changes ... I think drivers should be free to select whichever helmet they want. Vettel at one point last year had a different helmet for each session. It's their way of expressing themselves. That being said, I still think Vettel's first helmet - the one he wore when he made his debut in 2007 - was the best. Likewise, Raikkonen's best was his first, in my view.

Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 19):
Once again HAM beats ROS.....same same, when all things are equal for both drivers.

I'm not convinced that Hamilton left Rosberg enough room at turn 1. Rosberg lost a lot of ground (and 2 places) when Hamilton effectively pushed him off the track.
Boeing 777 fanboy

andz

Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:22 pm

Not a great FIA fan here.....

Me neither. I prefer MotoGP and SBK where customised helmets, leathers and even whole bike liveries are the order of the day. Nobody gets lost about who is who.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

scbriml

Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:55 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 20):
I'm not convinced that Hamilton left Rosberg enough room at turn 1. Rosberg lost a lot of ground (and 2 places) when Hamilton effectively pushed him off the track.

I thought it was fine and in the post-race interviews Rosberg didn't seem that unhappy about it. For me, once Hamilton was level with Rosberg, there was only ever going to be one outcome.

notaxonrotax

Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:13 pm

Quoting andz (Reply 21):

I prefer MotoGP and SBK where customised helmets, leathers and even whole bike liveries are the order of the day. Nobody gets lost about who is who.

You don't get confused, no. But how you know "nobody else gets lost"...well, that confuses me!
As a casual watcher, (not a fanatic!!) how am I supposed to know who the guy in yellow in a group of bikes is...or the guy in green; if they have identical team-mates on the track and they all change color every race.

I thought the classic Repsol Honda livery in moto GP was very recognizable, when I watched it years ago. Or Rossi was easy to pick out a crowd too....but I guess that was due to easy to read start numbers on bikes.
It still baffles me how you expect casual viewers to tell F1 cars apart if they would change their helmet nilly willy! Especially without an obvious start number; like the 2013 Mercedes cars for instance.
Years ago the start numbers were easier to read; for instance on the Williams in 1993 or the Alesi / Berger Ferraris.

ROS didn't seem worried at all.
He used the word "clean" during the interview on the podium!

No Tax On Rotax

moo

Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:35 am

I turn it around: why should they change their helmet?

Because they want to?

It is the only part of the uniform we can see from a distance!

Its not a uniform.

And yet the team can change the cars livery as much as they want mid-season, no rules against that. But a driver wants to change their own helmet and ....

Quoting zkojq (Reply 15):
Yet they don't keep threatening to pull out of F1.

Its a great example of two different teams settling for two different things - Red Bull have been a midfield team, and they have also been a four time WDC and WCC winner in the past 6 years. Why should they go back to being a midfield team just to stay in the sport? Williams on the other hand are a comfortable midfield team that is happy competing for podiums and the occasional win, but lets face it they have no current ambitions to compete for the top spots of either the WDC or the WCC.

Look at the past few years - the poor results of McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari have all been talked about over the various years, with comments such as "out of position" etc being made when they are not near the front of the pack. Last year it was the lackluster performance of Red Bull, before then it was the lackluster performance of Ferrari, and this year its the dismal performance of McLaren.

Compare that to how Williams is talked about - they have to have a 2015-McLaren-style season and end up near the bottom of the WDC table at the end of the year before comments are made. And when they rebound, they are expected to rebound near the top of the midfield and not into a position where they are competing for the WCC or WDC top spots.

Williams are happy where they are. Red Bull don't want to be where they are while spending the money they are spending. McLaren are taking a beating because of where they are, are are turning into a laughing stock, yet they are expected to rebound back to competing.

Lets put it this way - if McLaren don't start performing next year, then I fully expect them to start talking about dropping out. They can't afford a second season like this one.

MadameConcorde

Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:42 am

Renault signs letter of intent to take over Lotus F1 team for 2016

Renault has signed a letter of intent with the current owners of the Lotus Formula 1 team regarding its "potential" acquisition of the Enstone squad.

The French manufacturer has been locked in talks to take a 65 per cent stake in the team for next year, marking its return to a full manufacturer entry.

The timing of the announcement on Monday morning is likely to help Lotus's cause as it returns for a final appearance in the High Court regarding its insolvency battle with HMRC.

read more here:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121053

mad99

Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:48 am

Nico looked crushed after the race. All the 'come on you can do it' and 'i'll get him next time' is gone. He never really made much of an impression until beating MS and then the talk was that MS had spent too much time away to be fast.

CXB77L

Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:09 am

Quoting moo (Reply 24):
Williams on the other hand are a comfortable midfield team that is happy competing for podiums and the occasional win, but lets face it they have no current ambitions to compete for the top spots of either the WDC or the WCC.

No. Claire Williams is on record last year as saying that they aim to be challenging for race wins by 2015 and be championship contenders in 2016.

This year, Claire Williams is on record again, very emphatically saying that Williams will win again. Williams have put in place strategies that will result in Williams being back to the front of the grid, where they belong. I am convinced that Williams will be championship contenders again within the next three seasons.

To say that Williams have no 'current' ambitions to compete for the championships is plainly wrong. They do currently have that ambition, the question is when, not if they win the championship again.
Boeing 777 fanboy

moo

Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:23 am

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 27):
To say that Williams have no 'current' ambitions to compete for the championships is plainly wrong. They do currently have that ambition, the question is when, not if they win the championship again.

Actually, they do not have "current" ambitions, they have "future" ambitions - so my point stands  

And yes, we have seen an upsurge in Williams successes in recent years, and I wish them well (they are the "other" team I follow, simply because I like their ethos) - it remains to see if anything comes from it.

But Williams now have the ability to compete - they have the top spot engine, a good aero package and a team hungry for success. Red Bull are lacking a competitive engine, so their choices are to get a competitive engine, settle into the midfield or quit.

And they aren't happy with one of those three options.

zkojq

Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:02 pm

Good race.

I thought it was pretty tedious TBH. I enjoyed watching Ericsson doing a great job defending against faster cars for so long. He made that Sauber pretty wide.   McLaren and RBR will surely be pleased with him since if it wasn't for Ericsson keeping them behind for so long, Perez and Kvyat would have easily overtaken Alonso.

Anyone else notice how little coverage the FOM feed directors gave to Mercedes in the later stage of the race?

I see both sides of the argument. I started watching F1 when it was the norm that drivers kept the same helmet design every race of every year. They never really changed at all. I think this trend of changing helmets started around the early 2000s when Schumacher changed his helmet to an all red one, then Irvine changed his, as did Button (mildly); Raikkonen's changed every year, and if I'm honest, helmet designs got gradually worse over time.

Once upon a time, the outlawing of tobacco advertising in some jurisdictions made it nice and easy to spot who's car was who's (well, the McLarens at least). As a big fan of both Kimi and Mika, I liked how easy this made it to differentiate them from David.

http://www.javivicente.com/images/kimi_mclaren.jpg

Not the most exciting, but the turn 1 & turn 2 action between the Merc boys was interesting.

Rosberg could have held his line, but that would probably have resulted in him and Hamilton making contact....I think much of Rosberg's problem is that he is scared to be too aggressive on track against Hamilton in case he makes contact. Last time that happened (Spa, 2014) he got a huge amount of flack for it, with loads and loads of booing from the fans, hostility from the (generally Hamilton loving) media and nodoubt a very awkward meeting with Toto and Niki. This seems to have had a lasting effect on him, destroying his on track confidence when it comes to taking on Hamilton. He is still plenty aggressive when it comes to overtaking Ferraris, Williams etc (as we saw this race), but with his team mate he is too careful and gives him too much room, as seen on turn 2. The fact that Lewis is such an excellent driver (who makes the most of this) doesn't help.

http://instagram.com/p/8JwdCOLtIG/

Quoting moo (Reply 24):
Lets put it this way - if McLaren don't start performing next year, then I fully expect them to start talking about dropping out. They can't afford a second season like this one.

I can't imagine them dropping out, but the negative cashflow from two years being so far behind will certainly be brutal.

Quoting moo (Reply 24):
Williams are happy where they are.
Quoting CXB77L (Reply 27):
No. Claire Williams is on record last year as saying that they aim to be challenging for race wins by 2015 and be championship contenders in 2016.

Fingers crossed!

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 25):
Renault signs letter of intent to take over Lotus F1 team for 2016

Renault has signed a letter of intent with the current owners of the Lotus Formula 1 team regarding its "potential" acquisition of the Enstone squad.

The French manufacturer has been locked in talks to take a 65 per cent stake in the team for next year, marking its return to a full manufacturer entry.

Funnily enough, it seems at this stage that Maldonado will be their number one driver.   Unlike in 2008, Renault won't need to use team orders to trigger crashes.   
First to fly the 787-9

notaxonrotax

Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:27 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 24):

Because they want to?

What's next? Should the driver's parade lap be optional? Or the post race press conference?
F1 is a global brand, and certain rules should be followed.

Quoting moo (Reply 24):
Its not a uniform.

Semantics!
What do we call it then? Outfit? Personal Protective Racing Gear?
The point still stands...the helmet is the part of the driver the spectators see; for the large majority of the time.

Quoting moo (Reply 24):
And yet the team can change the cars livery as much as they want mid-season, no rules against that. But a driver wants to change their own helmet and ....

Again....I am not a FIA fan, I can think of many rules I don't agree with.
But the lack of one rule does't necessarily make another rule bad.
For the purpose of telling 2 identical cars apart, the helmet is a factor!

Quoting zkojq (Reply 29):
This seems to have had a lasting effect on him, destroying his on track confidence when it comes to taking on Hamilton.

I agree entirely.

Anyone else notice how little coverage the FOM feed directors gave to Mercedes in the later stage of the race?

Yes. Good!
There were some interesting battles going on behind them.

No Tax On Rotax

CXB77L

Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:34 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 28):
Actually, they do not have "current" ambitions, they have "future" ambitions - so my point stands

The way I look at it, the word 'ambition' by definition refers to a future event that one strives to achieve. Therefore, there is an existence of a current ambition to be future championship contenders.

Fingers crossed!

Me too, but as much as I'm a dyed-in-the-wool one-eyed Williams fan, I can't see it happening next year, based on their performances so far this year. I can sense that Ferrari are ready to pounce, and have comprehensively beaten Mercedes at some circuits. Williams have yet to beat Mercedes, and that's something they need to achieve before they can fight for the championship. But within three years? I'd say that's definitely achievable.
Boeing 777 fanboy

moo

Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:58 pm

Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 30):
What's next? Should the driver's parade lap be optional? Or the post race press conference?
F1 is a global brand, and certain rules should be followed.

And certain rules are pathetically stupid, made for no good reason.

Semantics!

Not really.

What do we call it then? Outfit? Personal Protective Racing Gear?

They are called race overalls, and no-one gives a toss if a driver changes them...

The point still stands...the helmet is the part of the driver the spectators see; for the large majority of the time.

And yet spectators in enclosed formulas have absolutely no issue at all with not being able to see the helmet - they tend to use the much more sensible approach of requiring the driver/car number to be visible and readable on the side of the car, as well as restricting the ability to change the car livery.

But the lack of one rule does't necessarily make another rule bad.

No, it doesn't *necessarily* but it certainly can do. Why can McLaren change the entire cars livery midway through a season but its drivers cannot change their helmets one single time?

For the purpose of telling 2 identical cars apart, the helmet is a factor!

I have never identified the car from the helmet - in-fact, the *best* indicator of who is in the car you are currently watching is the colour of the aero device on top of the roll structure above the driver - for all of the teams on the grid, one driver has all-black, and one driver has a florescent band on top. Its been like this for years.

If identifying the driver is the primary reason for not allowing the driver to change the helmet designs, then where in the rule book are the rules requiring each driver in a team to have a substantially different helmet design and colouring from his team mate?

Oh, wait, there isn't any such rule - both drivers in a team can go out with identical helmet designs and the FIA couldn't care less. Out the window goes the driver ID argument...

notaxonrotax

Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 32):

They are called race overalls, and no-one gives a toss if a driver changes them...

My point exactly, the discussion is about the helmet.
Not sure why you brought it up, to be honest! I pointed out before that the helmet is the MAIN part of the driver we see.

Quoting moo (Reply 32):
enclosed formulas

Moot my ol' Moo, we are obviously discussing F1 here.
The Le Mans cars have larger numbers on the cars, for instance.
Now at night this is a problem, but again: this discussion is about F1.

Quoting moo (Reply 32):
Why can McLaren change the entire cars livery midway through a season but its drivers cannot change their helmets one single time?

No idea. I disagree with that too, mind you. Makes no sense!
But we are discussing the point of "telling 2 identical cars apart".....so, pretty moot within this discussion.

Quoting moo (Reply 32):

I have never identified the car from the helmet

Okay, you don't. But a lot of people do!
I am not sure why that is denied by some.

Quoting moo (Reply 32):
the *best* indicator

That is pretty debatable. Just look at the difference in size between a helmet and a small reflective stripe.
You prefer the one....I prefer the other. Why not have both, and make it more obvious for everyone?
The argument of WHY you would change a helmet design every race has still not been made in this thread.

Quoting moo (Reply 32):
Its been like this for years.

Other type of reflective stripes have been used, on the front wing for instance.
I support those stripes, for the record.

Quoting moo (Reply 32):
Oh, wait,

Like 2 drivers in 1 team would ever have an identical helmet for a particular year.
Moot...yet again.

And again, you are trying to twist it like I defend FIA in general.
I agree with you, if driver ID is FIA's objective in all this; a rule like you mentioned makes sense!

Quoting moo (Reply 32):
Out the window goes the driver ID argument...

Not at all, your hypothetical arguments don't stick.
Please tell me why you think FIA insists on this rule then.
Drived ID is the argument I have heard for it, but I am interested in what your theory is.

No Tax On Rotax

[Edited 2015-09-28 08:20:41]

MadameConcorde

Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:12 pm

Japanese fans are amazing!

This was Fernando Alonso’s journey to the Suzuka circuit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFiwQcIFwz8

[Edited 2015-09-28 08:13:17]

moo

Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:24 pm

Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 33):
My point exactly, the discussion is about the helmet.
Not sure why you brought it up, to be honest! I pointed out before that the helmet is the MAIN part of the driver we see.

Depends on how you see the driver - you can also spend a lot of time seeing his gloves but no special rules there...

The car is also much bigger...

Moot my ol' Moo, we are obviously discussing F1 here.

So? Comparisons are still valid. Its not an issue in other sports, why is it such an issue in this sport?

But we are discussing the point of "telling 2 identical cars apart".....so, pretty moot within this discussion.

Why do they have to be identical? Not so moot.

I am not sure why that is denied by some.

Its not denied, I just don't think its an issue.

That is pretty debatable. Just look at the difference in size between a helmet and a small reflective stripe.
You prefer the one....I prefer the other. Why not have both, and make it more obvious for everyone?

Looking at the picture I posted, I couldn't tell you who is in which of the Williams without looking at the stripe - the helmets are not defined enough against the rest of the car livery.

The argument of WHY you would change a helmet design every race has still not been made in this thread.

Why should there be a need for an argument in favour? Personal preference is just as good as any "reason".

Like 2 drivers in 1 team would ever have an identical helmet for a particular year.
Moot...yet again.

Calling stuff moot just because you disagree with it over and over is not a valid way to engage in a discussion. There is a very good point that the helmet changes are restricted precisely because of the ability to identify the driver, and yet there is no requirement in the rules for all drivers to have substantially different helmet designs.

The fact that it hasn't happened yet doesn't change the fact that the rules are schizophrenic in this regard.

Not at all, your hypothetical arguments don't stick.

Again, disagreement does not mean my arguments "dont stick". Equally, your counter points are generally without substance from my view point.

Please tell me why you think FIA insists on this rule then.

Its well known why the FIA insisted on the rule - Vettel changed his helmet each and every race, and the FIA didn't like it. Vettel was talked about specifically when this rule came into being - indeed, it only became an issue when Vettel started changing his helmet design every single race...

The FIA are well known for rearranging the deck chairs while the boat sinks, and this is just one example of them doing it - it has fundamentally sod all to do with the sport.

Requiring the driver number to be clearly displayed on the side of the car, eg on the engine cover or on the side of the rear wing, would do much more to increase identifiability than having a single driver helmet design.

notaxonrotax

Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:42 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 35):

The car is also much bigger...

We are still talking about telling the cars apart from each other....what does the size of the car have to do with this?
We were comparing ways of telling identical cars apart......and I think bigger objects that were to differ are easier to identify than smaller objects.
You don´t like it when I call something moot, but the size of the car really is.

Quoting moo (Reply 35):
why is it such an issue in this sport?

I think because it´s the pinnacle of (open) motor sports, and the number of global viewers is unprecedented.
The public appeal is paramount. How many non-fanatical fans tune in for a F3 event?
And as was pointed out before, the die-hard fans will recognize the cars anyway.

Quoting moo (Reply 35):

Looking at the picture I posted, I couldn't tell you who is in which of the Williams

I know you know many pictures exist where the helmet would be the more obvious clue.
We are going around in circles here.

Quoting moo (Reply 35):
Depends on how you see the driver - you can also spend a lot of time seeing his gloves but no special rules there...

Gloves are just silly, you see them a lot less than the helmet.
You are just being facetious.......yet you claim NOT to deny that helmet ID is extremely common in F1.

Look:

Quoting moo (Reply 35):

Its not denied, I just don't think its an issue.

So you acknowledge that a lot op people ID drivers by their helmet?
Maybe we are getting somewhere here, after all.

Quoting moo (Reply 35):

Why should there be a need for an argument in favour? Personal preference is just as good as any "reason".

Exactly. There is no argument.

Quoting moo (Reply 35):
Calling stuff moot just because you disagree with it over and over is not a valid way to engage in a discussion.

Nor is bringing up moot arguments like semantics in the discussion or comparing F1 helmet ID issues to other race formulas where the helmets can´t even be seen. It is obvious that in those formulas other arrangements have been made.
We are talking about F1 and helmet designs (colors) have been part of this sport from day 1.
FIA calls this part of the "promotional appeal", I believe.

Quoting moo (Reply 35):

The fact that it hasn't happened yet doesn't change the fact that the rules are schizophrenic in this regard.

Agreed!!

Quoting moo (Reply 35):

Again, disagreement does not mean my arguments "dont stick". Equally, your counter points are generally without substance from my view point.

Yes, it means exactly that they don´t stick...in my opinion.
You bring up hypothetical arguments about things that haven´t happened or things that don´t apply to F1; and that steers us away from the basic discussion: "Is Driver ID easier in the F1 today thanks to a consistency in the helmet design?"
Look at this season.....not "maybe, at some stage" arguments, no; this very season.
And yes, a lot of people find it easier to recognize a driver!
That according to people I watch and chat with etc.
(Mind you, some use the stripes like you do).

Quoting moo (Reply 35):

The FIA are well known for rearranging the deck chairs while the boat sinks

Agreed.

Quoting moo (Reply 35):

Requiring the driver number to be clearly displayed on the side of the car, eg on the engine cover or on the side of the rear wing, would do much more to increase identifiability than having a single driver helmet design.

Agreed on the clearer display of numbers! Please bring it on!
In fact, if they would implement that....I´d be happy in letting Vettel change helmet every day.

Anyways, let´s leave it at this.
I guess we won´t see eye to eye on this one.
And that is fine.......you check your stripes, I will check the helmets.
You keep hoping that the rule will disappear, I hope it stays as it serves a purpose in my opinion.......unless clearer numbers will be displayed on the cars!

I don´t want some bitter argument in this little F1 group we have on A-net, Moo.
I see your basic point, I don´t agree a 100%; perhaps you understand my support for this rule too.

Cheers,

No Tax On Rotax

scbriml

Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:17 pm

They had next to no coverage the whole weekend. Not one of their quali laps was shown. Allegedly a spat with Bernie because Mercedes decided not to offer customer engines to Red Bull. Pathetic.   

MadameConcorde

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:11 am

Jenson Button could stay in F1 with new Renault team if he cannot resolve £6m McLaren contract dispute

The French car giants are the second most successful engine constructors in the sport’s history and poised to take over the assets of ailing Lotus

Jenson Button could be offered a lifeline by returning F1 giants Renault.
The 2009 champion is threatening to quit Woking over a £6million pay dispute as this season's McLaren debacle deepens.
A deal with the French car giants - the second most successful engine constructors in the sport’s history - would offer Button a route out of McLaren.
And he would get his wish to be driving a competitive car.

-50%
read more here:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formul...enson-button-could-stay-f1-6534362

GrahamHill
Topic Author

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:05 pm

Some news:

Red Bull is behind schedule to find a competitive engine:

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story...d-bull-2016-engine-supplier-092815

Renault signed a letter of intent to buy Lotus:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121053

It was almost an open secret, but Grosjean has been confirmed this morning as one of the next Haas driver:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121079

MadameConcorde

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:13 pm

Red Bull could face £330m penalty for pulling out of F1

Red Bull is seriously considering quitting Formula 1 according to various sources, including team principal Christian Horner and owner Dietrich Mateschitz, after finding itself without a power unit for 2016.

However that could come at a huge cost according to respected journalist Joe Saward, who reports that the team has an agreement with Formula One Management to remain in the sport until at least 2020.

Should it quit sooner than that, it would face huge financial penalties amounting to £330 million ($500m).

-50%
read more here:
http://www.grandprixtimes.com/news/display/10731

Wow!

NEWS: Haas F1 Team Selects Grosjean as Driver

KANNAPOLIS, North Carolina (Sept. 29, 2015) – When Haas F1 Team makes its debut in the FIA Formula 1 World Championship in 2016, it will do so with an experienced racer in Romain Grosjean.

The 29-year-old Grosjean has competed in 78 Formula One races and scored 10 podium finishes, with the most recent being a third-place result in August at the Belgian Grand Prix. He is currently in his fifth Formula One season with Lotus F1 Team.

read more at: http://www.haasf1team.com/news/haas-...osjean-driver#sthash.8eC9DAFF.dpuf

GrahamHill
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:06 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 40):
Red Bull is seriously considering quitting Formula 1 according to various sources, including team principal Christian Horner and owner Dietrich Mateschitz, after finding itself without a power unit for 2016.

I never thought I'd say that one day, but good riddance if they ever leave. They put themselves in that situation. They have only themselves to blame.

MadameConcorde

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:14 pm

Happy 18th birthday Max Verstappen!

Now he finally can drive a car,!

zkojq

Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:22 am

McLaren has a new sponsor: Chandon. Johnnie Walker has presumably walked?
First to fly the 787-9

MadameConcorde

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:49 am

Quoting zkojq (Reply 43):

This just came out:

Jenson Button has finally announced his plans for 2016 and those plans are staying exactly where he is, in Formula One with McLaren.

McLaren confirms Button will stay in 2016

McLaren has confirmed Jenson Button will remain at the team in 2016 to end months of uncertainty about his future.

There was speculation McLaren would not exercise the 2016 option on Button's contract, while the 2009 world champion's motivation to continue was also called into question in recent weeks. The news means Button's career will extend into a 17th season and means another part of the driver puzzle has fit into place for 2016.

There was speculation McLaren would not exercise the 2016 option on Button's contract, while the 2009 world champion's motivation to continue was also called into question in recent weeks. The news means Button's career will extend into a 17th season and should see him pass 300 grands prix starts -- a feat only matched by Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello.

read more here:
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...n-confirms-jenson-button-stay-2016

Stealthz

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:28 am

Quoting zkojq (Reply 43):

Jenson' s drivng suit still has Johnnie Walker branding on it along with prominent Chandon branding.
Don't forget Johnny Walker and Chandon are both part of the LVMH/Diageo group.

In other news McLaren Formula one have formally requested that Honda do not take any steps to increase the performance or reliability of the engines supplied to the team.
This is a pre-emptive step to avoid any awkward podium moments (however unlikely) where a Chandon clad driver is obliged to accept a magnum of Mumm for the traditional champagne ceremony!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

GrahamHill
Topic Author

Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Good news to see Jenson staying in F1 for another year. I hope for him that Honda will bring a lot of improvements next year, otherwise he's in for another loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong season!

Talking about long season, here is the revised 2016 schedule:

March 20 - Australia
April 3 - Bahrain
April 17 - China
May 1 - Russia
May 15 - Spain
May 29 - Monaco
June 12 - Canada
June 19 - Europe (Baku)
July 3 - Austria
July 10 - Britain
July 24 - Hungary
July 31 - Germany
August 28 - Belgium
September 4 - Italy
September 18 - Singapore
October 2 - Malaysia
October 9 - Japan
October 23 - USA
November 6 - Mexico
November 13 - Brazil
November 27 - Abu Dhabi

That's 21 races, which I think is a bit too much. Do we really need 21 races? I already think that 19 is too much....

Also, the European GP (in Baku... they're playing with some geographical interpretations there) will happen during the same weekend as the 24 Hours of Le Mans. This means that Nico Hulkenberg won't be defending his title. I bet Porsche must be thrilled... Anyway, I really wonder why the FIA would do that. I understand that they did it when both the FIA and the ACO were in conflict years ago, but now that they're back on the same roof, why are they shooting themselves on the foot?

[Edited 2015-10-01 08:23:03]

notaxonrotax

Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:13 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 46):
19 is too much

Graham, may I ask WHY you don't like more races?
Yes, the timing with regards to Le Mans is poor; but isn't it "the more races the merrier"?

Cheers,

No Tax On Rotax

zkojq

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:23 am

Mannor will have Mercedes power for 2016. Guess that pretty much secures the WCC for them.   
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121106

Mercedes AMG F1 made a substantial loss last year:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121135?source=mostpopular
Of course their F1 activities will certainly have helped to sell many cars, so their actual loss (if any) would be much harder to quantify. I guess that exemplifies what the minnows have to compete against.

Quoting stealthz (Reply 45):
Don't forget Johnny Walker and Chandon are both part of the LVMH/Diageo group.

Of course they are. Silly mistake.

Quoting stealthz (Reply 45):
In other news McLaren Formula one have formally requested that Honda do not take any steps to increase the performance or reliability of the engines supplied to the team.
This is a pre-emptive step to avoid any awkward podium moments (however unlikely) where a Chandon clad driver is obliged to accept a magnum of Mumm for the traditional champagne ceremony!

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 46):
Also, the European GP (in Baku... they're playing with some geographical interpretations there) will happen during the same weekend as the 24 Hours of Le Mans. This means that Nico Hulkenberg won't be defending his title. I bet Porsche must be thrilled... Anyway, I really wonder why the FIA would do that. I understand that they did it when both the FIA and the ACO were in conflict years ago, but now that they're back on the same roof, why are they shooting themselves on the foot?

Why don't they move Baku back one week to the 26th? Seems like a pretty easy way to solve the issue. As for Baku, the circuit design I saw most recently looks awful.  
Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 47):
isn't it "the more races the merrier"?

For me it is.
First to fly the 787-9

GrahamHill
Topic Author

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:44 pm

Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 47):
but isn't it "the more races the merrier"?

I think we reach a point where "the more" is synonym of "too much". I don't think adding more races will add more excitment or more interest. Especially with the current rules, where engine suppliers are restricted to develop their power unit as much as they want, and as a consequence we see the same team dominating from first race to last.

I'm not asking to have 9 races like in WEC, but 17 or 18 is a good enough amount. After that we're being overfed and we'll risk the overdose! We need a good balance.

Quoting zkojq (Reply 48):
Why don't they move Baku back one week to the 26th?

The schedule is still tentative, so I hope that they will come back to their senses and change the date.

Quoting zkojq (Reply 48):
the circuit design I saw most recently looks awful.  

Is it really a surprise?