Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Do You Eat Fast Food?

Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:32 pm

Hello,

I gave up eating fast food 5 years ago after eating a Burger King whopper, a large order of fries and a large coke and then
coming down with an all day stomach ache. I decided at that point to swear off fast food for the rest of my life and I have felt
much better physically ever since.

How about you? Have you completely given up fast food or just simply cut back? Or are you a full fledged fast food junkie?

Mir

RE: Do You Eat Fast Food?

Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:47 pm

I try not to - in fact I go out of my way to avoid most fast food chains with the exception of Subway and Quiznos (and McDonalds for breakfast), which I won't seek out but will go to if they're convenient. I have no problem with the not-quite-as-fast food chains like Chipotle, Panera, Smashburger, Five Guys, etc. I might not be getting any healthier stuff by numbers, but at least the quality is better.

Unfortunately, this week I'm stuck in a place where the only options are fast food, so I don't have a whole lot of choice in the matter.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ANITIX87

Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:55 pm

I love fast food. I love all food, really. I won't ever call it quits on eating exactly how I want.

I eat McDonald's at least once a week. Usually, twice.

I don't know whether you consider it fast food, but I'll also generally grab a couple of slices of pizza for dinner one night a week.

I eat take-out Chinese food every Sunday with my roommates. I drink close to 30 ounces of sweetened iced tea every day.

Even when I'm eating "real food" I go overboard. Dinner last night was fried calamari, skirt steak, potatoes, a brownie, and some cookies for dessert.

I eat like a pig and a glutton. I constantly have stomach-aches, bad gas, and frequent bowel movements. But I'm happy and generally healthy. Rarely get sick. Always have energy. I'm 28 years old, 5'-11" (181cm), weigh 210 lbs (95.5kg). I play 6-10 hours of tennis a week and am on my feet much of the work day.

My sister is 26 years old. Vegetarian. Marathon runner. Health nut. Works with a nutritionist. Obsessed with "organic" food and avoiding chemicals, fast food, or anything unhealthy. She gets sick far more frequently than I do. Has headaches all the time. Has trouble maintaining a healthy weight.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

einsteinboricua

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:31 pm

I've given up fast food and will only eat there once in a blue moon or if I'm at an airport and need to make a tight connection. McDonald's fries are simply too irresistible, as are their McFlurrys.

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
Subway and Quiznos

Not really all that healthy either. MyFitnessPal will show you. I've avoided Subway ever since.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

mbmbos

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:33 pm

My partner and I have made a pact that if we've just got to have fast food, we have to go together. That way, one or the other of us has a chance to talk the other one out of it. That really cuts down on unhealthy food.

Usually, when I commit a fast food sin, I go for KFC. Love that rubbery, savory thing they call chicken.  

My partner goes for Taco Bell.

But mostly, we abstain.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

OA412

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Quoting dfwjim1 (Thread starter):
Or are you a full fledged fast food junkie?

I used to be. I'd eat it multiple times in a week, and sometimes multiple times in a day. Then late last year, I entered a really difficult financial period that forced me to cut fast food out. I'm really glad that happened. I've only had one fast food burger since December. I've gotten used to cooking, and eating consistently better. I rarely eat out anymore. I also feel a lot better than I used to. I still eat fast food here and there, particularly breakfast, though I tend to choose better options like an egg mcmuffin and avoid things like greasy hashbrowns and such. The one fast food item I'll still splurge on once in a while is fried chicken. I can't quite quit that yet. 
Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
I have no problem with the not-quite-as-fast food chains like Chipotle, Panera, Smashburger, Five Guys, etc.

I tend to also be more OK with the fast casual places, though I've cut down on those considerably as well. Because their prices are higher, it's easier for me to avoid these places.

I gave up eating fast food 5 years ago after eating a Burger King whopper, a large order of fries and a large coke and then
coming down with an all day stomach ache.

I haven't eaten a whopper in well over a decade, ever since I ordered a couple, opened them, and the lettuce was slimy.   

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 2):
I eat like a pig and a glutton. I constantly have stomach-aches, bad gas, and frequent bowel movements.

That's hot!   
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:42 pm

Interesting...I have a friend who is also a vegetarian and it seems like he is always under the weather.

ER757

Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:13 pm

I give myself that indulgence on the weekend. During the week I try to eat at home and make my own lunches at the office, but I do allow myself a cheeseburger on Saturday or Sunday. I know they're not good for you but I really love cheeseburgers. I figure everything in moderation is OK. My numbers are always really good when I go for my annual checkups so I am not clogging my arteries too badly
Oh, and I don't know if it counts, but I go to Panera pretty much every Saturday AM for coffee and a pastry

diverted

Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:52 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 5):
coming down with an all day stomach ache.
I haven't eaten a whopper in well over a decade, ever since I ordered a couple, opened them, and the lettuce was slimy.

I haven't been to BK in probably 5 years. Ordered a cheeseburger, watched them take the cheeseburger that was already wrapped in paper, unwrap it, stick it in the microwave, and give it to me. Asked for my money back and haven't gone back since.

OA260

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:01 pm

Fast Food usually once every few weeks. I try to limit it. When Im on holidays I eat a lot more especially if Im in the US. Very hard to resist Denny's,Wendy's and Taco Bell.  

Usually if I go to McDonald's its for the breakfast muffins with meat and cheese.

LAX772LR

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:04 pm

But I'm happy and generally healthy

...you're also in your 20s.

Assuming you live to your 40s-50s, I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't be, just based on your own description.  
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

einsteinboricua

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:12 pm

Quoting mbmbos (Reply 4):
I go for KFC
Quoting OA412 (Reply 5):
The one fast food item I'll still splurge on once in a while is fried chicken. I can't quite quit that yet.

Preach! AMEN and hallelujah. Nothing like KFC original recipe!

MrHMSH

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:13 pm

How about you? Have you completely given up fast food or just simply cut back? Or are you a full fledged fast food junkie?

It used to happen once a week or so, but since I moved for Uni, I've just gone off it. Pizza night happens maybe once a week, but McDonald's just doesn't happen and Burger King is rare. I feel better for it.

Mir

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:27 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 3):
Not really all that healthy either. MyFitnessPal will show you. I've avoided Subway ever since.

I don't go there for the health, I go there because it tastes better than the alternative fast food stuff (and I imagine it is at least a bit healthier than most of them). And after having just suffered through a lunch at Pizza Hut (I'd ask myself what I was thinking, but then I looked at the other options and figured it wasn't an unreasonable decision), I will be definitely heading there for dinner.

-Mir

Kiwirob

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:46 pm

I go fast food when I'm traveling, last week I was in St Petersburg, we get a per diem of 950 nok per day, I can eat at McDonalds for 60 NOK, for luck and diner and pocket the rest, this week I'm in Moscow here we get 1400 NOK, almost 12k NOK, 1400 USD in additional tax free income makes a few days eating burgers or subway worth it.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
Usually if I go to McDonald's its for the breakfast muffins with meat and cheese.

I love love love a double sausage, egg and cheese mcmuffin.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 11):
Nothing like KFC original recipe!

I had KFC today, wonderful stuff, thank god it's not in Norway, I'd be as big as a house if it was.

LittleFokker

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:03 pm

I do eat fast food way more than I should (probably 5-6 times a week). I hate that I do, but I'm addicted to the convenience and don't feel comfortable with the alternatives yet.

It's ruined my palate (I can't really taste much difference between higher quality, fresher foods and junk food), and I feel grossly overweight (I should be easily be able to lose 50 lbs in a month if I put my mind to it, but I haven't been sufficiently motivated yet). I've treated eating as a stress reliever and my weight reflects that, and changing my diet seems like a mountain to climb. Recently, my wife has at least tried to encourage better habits upon me, but they haven't made much of a difference. I know I need to eat better and lose weight, but changing my diet scares the bejeezus out of me.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

PITingres

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:14 pm

Pizza maybe once a month. KFC or similar chicken joint very occasionally, maybe once every couple months. Burger joints are on-the-road food. I'll very occasionally do a fast food sandwich if I'm in a hotel somewhere in the US. I have a rule that I never ever eat at an American fast food chain if I'm abroad.

I never managed to develop a taste for fast food breakfast. Ugh.

I used to eat more fast food, but these days if we're too lazy to cook, we're usually too lazy to get fast food. Melted cheese on toast and maybe an egg is my lazy food now.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

mbmbos

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:23 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 14):
Nothing like KFC original recipe!

I had KFC today, wonderful stuff, thank god it's not in Norway, I'd be as big as a house if it was.

When my Dutch nephews visit, I always take 'em out to KFC. They love it even if their mother doesn't approve.

That's what uncles are for. If they aren't cursing, chewing tobacco and eating KFC by the end of the visit, I haven't done my job.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

falstaff

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:34 pm

I like McDonalds, but only eat it once or twice a month. If I go for breakfast I get a Sausage Biscuit or Sausage McMuffin. If I go later in the day I get either regular cheese burgers/hamburgers or Chicken McNuggets. I usually get medium fries and a medium iced tea (which were large back in the good ole' days).

If I go to Burger King I only get regular hamburgers/cheeseburgers.

Quoting dfwjim1 (Reply 6):
Interesting...I have a friend who is also a vegetarian and it seems like he is always under the weather.

I have known several vegans who were health disasters.

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 12):
Pizza night happens maybe once a week,

Me too. I love pizza, all kinds from lots of different places.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 10):
Assuming you live to your 40s-50s, I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't be, just based on your own description

My dad is 68 and in decent shape. He is a real fast food addict and has been for decades. He doesn't go overboard and order three Big Macs or anything, but he doesn't seem too worse for wear.

Quoting mbmbos (Reply 4):
Usually, when I commit a fast food sin, I go for KFC. Love that rubbery, savory thing they call chicken.

I eat at KFC four times a year, sometimes less. I do like it.

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
Subway

Their veggie sandwich the only thing I like. Their cold cuts are nasty. I do like their white bread. Sometimes I buy their bread and make my own sandwiches.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

N1120A

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:53 pm

What is fast food is dependent on definition. Do you mean just the McDonalds/Burger King/KFC set? Do you add in "fast casual?"

I maintain a pretty strict diet, broken down in macronutrient ratios, but I also travel a ton and work at least 60 hours a week. That means I have to make some calculated fast and fastish food choices. In the US, that is fairly easy, as just about all major chains make nutritional information readily available.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

MadameConcorde

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:16 pm

How about you? Have you completely given up fast food

I make my own "fast food" at home and then I eat it.
It's always yummy and guaranteed high quality.

I never frequented any of the commercial FF joints outside.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

falstaff

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:22 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 19):
That means I have to make some calculated fast and fastish food choices. In the US, that is fairly easy, as just about all major chains make nutritional information readily available.

Some fast food really isn't that terrible for you. An old school McDonalds hamburger isn't all that bad. Panera (St. Louis Bread Company) used to have a chicken sandwich that didn't look bad, but the calorie count was insane.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Mir

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:50 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 18):
Their cold cuts are nasty.

Their cold cuts are nasty, true. I solve that by having them toast the sandwiches, which makes them a bit less nasty.

-Mir

STT757

Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:02 pm

I get McDonalds coffee all the time, it's only $1 no matter the size and it's actually really good. I've been a Starbucks drinker for years but it's starting to kill my stomach, too acidic. The quality of the McDonalds coffee and the great value savings vs. Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts or even WaWa pretty much has me locked up as a customer. Also whatever McDonalds I go to the quality of the coffee is usually the same, just need to make sure they brew a fresh pot in the afternoon.

Besides the coffee try to avoid fast food. I will have it maybe half dozen times per year. Mostly I get the happy meals for my daughter and will munch on fries.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

N1120A

Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:45 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 21):
An old school McDonalds hamburger isn't all that bad.

Yes it is. Terrible quality red meat is basically selbstmorder. The calories aren't really an issue, but the quality and nutrients are.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 21):
Panera (St. Louis Bread Company) used to have a chicken sandwich that didn't look bad, but the calorie count was insane.

The thing one always has to watch out for at sandwich places is whatever "aioli" they are putting on the sandwich.

einsteinboricua

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:09 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 13):
I don't go there for the health, I go there because it tastes better than the alternative fast food stuff (and I imagine it is at least a bit healthier than most of them).

I'm just saying that while at first glance it looks healthy, the calorie count really makes it almost as bad as regular fast food. I favor Quiznos over Subway, but alas, no Quiznos near me. That's where Jimmy Johns comes in, and even then I only eat from there if I'm out of options.

Quoting Mir (Reply 13):
And after having just suffered through a lunch at Pizza Hut (I'd ask myself what I was thinking, but then I looked at the other options and figured it wasn't an unreasonable decision), I will be definitely heading there for dinner.

Well, Congress declared pizza is a vegetable* so topping it with meat, you have a full meal right there  

*No, I know that wasn't what they did. They just declared that pizzas had enough tomato paste content to meet school lunch nutrition guidelines and give them at lunch.

N1120A

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:34 am

Pizza 1) isn't fast food, unless you buy the by-the-slice garbage in New York, 2) is the best less healthy option out there. Pizza is amazing.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 25):
Well, Congress declared pizza is a vegetable* so topping it with meat, you have a full meal right there  

*No, I know that wasn't what they did. They just declared that pizzas had enough tomato paste content to meet school lunch nutrition guidelines and give them at lunch.

Reagan did that with ketchup decades ago. That was even more tenuous.

Cadet985

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:37 am

Rarely in this country, but frequently in other areas where it's much healthier.

Marc

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:39 am

I think there's a fallacy with fast food in that it is totally bad. One fast food meal every two or three days in my opinion is not that bad, especially if you're active.

It's only a problem if you're consuming fast food for breakfast, lunch & dinner every single day.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

WarRI1

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:51 am

I have to wonder, what constitutes fast food.? My favorite sandwich is a hamburger, always has been. I have tried all that are available here in my area, many times. If you go to a sit down restaurant and order a hamburger which I do many times, is that fast food? We go out for lunch everyday and always at a sit down. I do not like to chew and screw. I do think any restaurant is basically fast food when you think about it.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

jetmatt777

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:51 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 18):
Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 10):
Assuming you live to your 40s-50s, I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't be, just based on your own description

My dad is 68 and in decent shape. He is a real fast food addict and has been for decades. He doesn't go overboard and order three Big Macs or anything, but he doesn't seem too worse for wear.

My dad is 53, has probably consumed a fast food lunch + high calorie home cooked meal every single night for the past 30 years or more. Is in excellent shape, and is almost never sick with even a cough. He might get a cold about once every two or three years.

I follow in his footsteps, although I have cut back on fast food due to budgeting. I probably eat 4 fast food meals a week, and I cook fairly high calorie meals at home. I am sick about once a year with a cold, but never strong enough to miss work. I also have good energy and feel good most of the time. My girlfriend is a vegetarian plus really watched her diet and seems to get sick or feel crabby about every other month.

Diet is important, but so is your metabolism and health history of the family. My family is composed of slender people with high metabolisms, long lives, and little to no major health problems.

diverted

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:55 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):
Pizza 1) isn't fast food, unless you buy the by-the-slice garbage in New York, 2) is the best less healthy option out there. Pizza is amazing.

The $0.99 slices in NY are something I always indulge in..a lot...

LAX772LR

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:59 am

Pizza 1) isn't fast food

You're only kidding yourself  

flymia

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:14 am

When I was 6-21 years old I would have fast food fairly often 2-3 times week. But I was very very active, young etc.. Given I am 26 now, still pretty young but my taste and want for better food was really gone up a lot, (hurts the wallet too) but fast food is still had here and there. Probably 2-3 times a month or so. I rarely have it for dinner, almost never, breakfast once in a while, but honestly a breakfast sandwich is a breakfast sandwich no matter where you get it. Lunch, as I am sure it is for most is when I have it the most. But as others I prefer the "better quality" places like Five Guys or In N Out when I am near one.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

1g

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:16 am

Really depends.

I travel and move a lot and I see popular fastfood chains as my guarantor to providing me something "normal" and familiar.

I'm not very picky about my diet but when I'm out and about in a country whose language I don't speak and its culture I'm not familiar with I'll probably stick to my Big Mac or Whopper as I get to settle down and familiarize myself with the country and its culture. You never know what you're ordering at some local restaurant or takeaway.

When I'm home my fastfood consumption probably plummets, kebabs are better   . But I do crave the occasional KFC or Burger King even at home.

Mir

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:56 am

Pizza 1) isn't fast food, unless you buy the by-the-slice garbage in New York

Fighting words.   

Sure, if you go to Famous Famiglia (not really that famous) or Original Ray's (none of which are actually original) you're going to get garbage, but there is plenty of good slice pizza to be had in NYC.

-Mir

csturdiv

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:07 am

I do not eat that much fast food since moving to Australia. But I am going back to the US for Christmas and I have a few fast food things on the agenda during my two weeks home...almost anything from Taco Bell, a Wendys Baconator and a Chick-Fil-A spicy chicken sandwich.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

einsteinboricua

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:30 am

Pizza 1) isn't fast food, unless you buy the by-the-slice garbage in New York

Go to what I've come to call the Tacotucky (Taco Bell and KFC) restaurants; in this case, a Pizza Bell (Pizza Hut combined with Taco Bell)) will sell you a quick-baked pizza. That's fast food right there.

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 29):
I have to wonder, what constitutes fast food.?

I would say it's the kind of food that's ready in minutes and/or has a high calorie count. Pizza isn't really fast food unless the pizza is already baked and they're selling it by the slice, but with such a high calorie and fat content, it's often considered as such.

LAX772LR

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:31 am

Quoting jetmatt777 (Reply 30):
My dad is 53, has probably consumed a fast food lunch + high calorie home cooked meal every single night for the past 30 years or more. Is in excellent shape, and is almost never sick with even a cough.

I mean don't get me wrong, do what ya want, it's none of my business/concern....

...but I do find it droll when people post these type "justifications" (if one were to call it that).
It's no different than the "Look at me, I've smoked 2packs/day for 30yrs, and I'm fine!" crowd.

And perhaps they may well be, for now.

But to me, the question becomes: how much BETTER off would you be had you hadn't consumed so much crap in the process?
Heck, you probably could've been the type to be skydiving at 90, via taking better care, over the years.

But JMO.

DocLightning

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:43 am

Depends on how you define "fast food."

Can't remember the last time I ate at a McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell, or Arby's. I think I had jalapeño poppers a year ago at Jack in the Box but I believe that was a desperate moment on the road.

I do eat In-N-Out about once or twice a year, though. And Subway from time to time, but I order usually a turkey sandwich on wheat with lots of vegetables, so I'm not sure that counts.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

fr8mech

Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:10 am

Since Dec 2011, only:

-Occasional McDonald's Egg McMuffin for breakfast after a run...300 calories
-Wendy's Apple Pecan or Spicy Chicken Caesar Salad sans dressing
-Subway, Ham and Turkey on flat bread w/jalepenos, spinach, tomatoes and Guacamole, when available
-DQ....small Blizzard, flavor varies.

That's it, nothing else.

Pizza 1) isn't fast food,

Correct

unless you buy the by-the-slice garbage in New York,

Then you are not eating real pizza.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Flighty

Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:35 am

McDonald's breakfast and quarter pounder deluxe... Occasional desperation buys.

777way

Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:37 am

Is pizza considered junk food?

mad99

Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:16 am

I have to travel a fair bit and this year its mostly usa - china.

I can spend what i want on food but more and more i find myself buying food from luxury supermarkets. They have prepared food they make fresh so i buy that and take it back to the hotel.

The fast food is so cheep and all tasts the same to me. Also, when i eat it i find that i feel hungry even though i've just consumed 1,000 cal?

I eat pizza once a week and i make it myself, takes an hour to make it and about 15 min to eat it!

I have a friend who travels about all day and eats fast food every day. He says McD's is the best quality and most consistent of what's on offer here.

flyingturtle

Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:09 am

Once a week.

I visit Burger King much more often to fetch a coffee at 22:45 PM when travelling home after a long day.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

OA260

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:09 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 14):
I love love love a double sausage, egg and cheese mcmuffin.

A new arrival in Dublin , never thought Id see one here :

Aesma

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:44 am

If it's 11PM, my fridge is empty and I don't want to eat pasta, I might go to the nearest McDrive. There is not much choice at a late hour like that, no 7/11 or similar here in France. There is a Quick drive but it's 10Km away so I very rarely go.

In France people used to complain that the only burger chains were McDonald's and Quick, and when Burger King came back last year it was seen as the end of that duopoly, unfortunately it has just been announced that BK will buy Quick, and that brand will disappear in France, too bad.

When I lived in Paris I was a fast food addict, when it wasn't a burger at the aforementioned chains it was a kebab. With tons of meat and fries, usually you feel sick after having eaten one.

Fortunately at the time I was a poor student so I couldn't buy as much as I would have liked !

Now I go no more than a couple of times a month so that's reasonable. My new problem is that I eat at restaurants too often ! Work lunches mostly, costing me nothing, very dangerous proposition for me.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

flyingturtle

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:52 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 46):
announced that BK will buy Quick, and that brand will disappear in France, too bad.

During a very memorable visit to Paris back in 1998, we ate at the Quick (at the Jardin du Luxembourg RER station) many times. It was close to our hotel... when I was in Paris this September, I made sure to eat there!

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

AIRWALK

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:48 pm

Pizza 1) isn't fast food
Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 29):
I have to wonder, what constitutes fast food.?
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 39):
Depends on how you define "fast food."
Quoting 777way (Reply 42):
Is pizza considered junk food?

I'm sure this thread will take off soon

OA412

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:34 pm

Preach! AMEN and hallelujah. Nothing like KFC original recipe!

I'm more a Church's and Popeye's person. KFC is fine, but definitely not my first choice.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
Very hard to resist Denny's,Wendy's and Taco Bell.

Wendy's is the only one of those I find palatable, but I still haven't eaten there in about a year. I quit Taco Hell when I heard an employee say they need more red sauce, then he proceeded to dump some red powder in a bucket and fill it with hot water...

Quoting STT757 (Reply 23):
I get McDonalds coffee all the time, it's only $1 no matter the size and it's actually really good. I've been a Starbucks drinker for years but it's starting to kill my stomach, too acidic. The quality of the McDonalds coffee and the great value savings vs. Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts or even WaWa pretty much has me locked up as a customer. Also whatever McDonalds I go to the quality of the coffee is usually the same, just need to make sure they brew a fresh pot in the afternoon.

That's one thing that I still get regularly at McDonald's. The coffee is decent, and you can't beat $1 for any size. Dunkin is good, but at double the price I don't often buy coffee there. Starbucks is just awful. In recent years I'd only get hot and iced tea. The final straw was a recent visit when I went in to get some chamomile tea. Apparently they've changed from Tazo to Teavana. I asked for a chamomile and the girl at the counter looked at me and said "is that like some kind of herbal tea or something?" She then proceeded to recommend something called Oprah chai. I remember a time when their employees actually knew a thing or two about coffee and tea. Now they seem to cater almost exclusively to basic white girls, and couldn't care less about having knowledgeable employees. Their awful coffee isn't worth the hefty price tag.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West