Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Stealthz
Topic Author

Police Shooting In Sydney- Radicalised Youth

Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:17 pm

At about 4:30pm on a warm Friday in suburban Sydney*, a radicalised 15 year old Muslim youth stalked and executed Curtis Cheng a civilian employee of the NSW Police Service outside NSW Police headquarters. The youth did not survive the attack as Special Constables at the scene took appropriate action eliminating any threat to others
This youth**, or his family before him came to this country to get away from the hatred and violence of their homeland. Leave it there. In this country they get education, health care, opportunities and the prospect of a long happy life.
It is high time the Muslim community took action to fix this problem. I know I will see the plaintive cries of the apologists saying these criminals do not represent Islam but if they commit their crimes shouting Insha'Allah & Allahu Akbar then they are representing Islam whether you like it or not.
There are significantly more Buddhists in Australia than Muslims but when was the last time a Buddhist held siege to a café or led a riot because they were offended by a video or cartoon from the other side of the world.
It is only a tiny percentage of the Muslim community committing these acts, Sadly it is an even smaller percentage making it clear to them that this is unacceptable.
Step up Muslims of the world there is only one group of people that can fix this and it is YOU!

*At about the same time on the other side of the world another 15 year old was sentenced for plotting a massacre in Melbourne Australia that was intended to happen on Anzac Day 25th April 2015

**I am not going to use the little criminals name as it should not be the one we remember
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

AIRWALK

RE: Police Shooting In Sydney- Radicalised Youth

Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:45 pm

Quoting stealthz (Thread starter):
It is high time the Muslim community took action to fix this problem. I know I will see the plaintive cries of the apologists saying these criminals do not represent Islam but if they commit their crimes shouting Insha'Allah & Allahu Akbar then they are representing Islam whether you like it or not.

So if someone attacked someone and while they did it they shouted "for Microsoft" they represent them? Attacking people must be part of Microsoft's business structure?

It is only a tiny percentage of the Muslim community committing these acts, Sadly it is an even smaller percentage making it clear to them that this is unacceptable.

The problem is, if they don't feel that they have any relation to these criminals, why would they be responsible for stepping up and making it clear that it is unacceptable? I'll give you an example. I lived in Singapore for several years. I had a muslim friend who I still talk to every now and then. The issue of terrorism has come up several times in conversation and he has almost laughed off the link between the religion he feels he follows, and the religion that these people propagate. So if he feels that he has absolutely nothing to do with them, just as little as any non-muslim has to do with them, how is it in any way his responsibility to fix the problem? All he shares with them is the title "muslim". Nothing else.

Step up Muslims of the world there is only one group of people that can fix this and it is YOU!

The other thing is, my friend is currently studying to be a doctor. So when you say step up, what should he do? Quit studying and go and start telling muslims not to be radical? His contribution to society would be far greater as a doctor.
I'm sure this thread will take off soon

pvjin

Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:15 pm

Quoting AIRWALK (Reply 1):

Yeah, it's clear more moderate Muslims aren't really going to do much to fight radicalism in their communities. To prevent Islamic terrorism from becoming more and more common only effective solution is restricting immigration from Muslim countries & easier deportation and even revocation of citizenship of radicals.

Here in the Europe we are doing exactly the opposite. European 9/11 is only a matter of time, the EU will soon burn.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

Stealthz
Topic Author

Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:26 pm

So if someone attacked someone and while they did it they shouted "for Microsoft" they represent them?

And if they did then yes!!
People don't go around shooting people and blowing up places shouting "Start up" or "The Future starts now" if they did this message WOULD be directed at Microsoft.
Islam is a religion and the thugs and criminals that commit heinous acts in the name of Islam kill and maim more Muslims than "infidels" yet the greater Muslim community is unwilling to bring it self together to fix the problem!
About time they started!!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

afterburner

Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:04 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 2):
it's clear more moderate Muslims aren't really going to do much to fight radicalism in their communities.
Quoting stealthz (Reply 3):
yet the greater Muslim community is unwilling to bring it self together to fix the problem!

Indonesian Council of Muslim Scholars has issued a fatwa that says that terrorism is haraam (forbidden) in Islam. Indonesia's major Muslim organizations condemn every terrorist acts using the name of Islam. Our police and intelligence forces are actively monitoring and infiltrating suspicious radical Islamic organizations and have made many arrests. I believe most other Muslim countries have done the same.

seb146

Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:36 pm

Quoting afterburner (Reply 4):
Indonesian Council of Muslim Scholars

Doesn't Indonesia have the most Muslims of any Islamic nation? Also, Singapore is mostly Muslim, too, right? Funny how radicals are from war torn countries and/or countries with strict travel and laws.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

WearyDrover

Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:26 am

It really doesn't matter what or how much Muslims do, there will be those who will distrust and despise them.

For example, in the opening post in referring to the Sydney restaurant siege it is conveniently forgotten or ignored that the Muslim community had voiced their concerns regarding Monis. These concerns were downplayed and disregarded by the authorities. When the authorities don't listen, what else can be demanded of Muslims beyond repeating those concerns?

The Muslim community in Australia has indicated its willingness to work with government and police to counter radicalism. There are Muslim groups working with youth to address issues like isolation, breakdown in family relationships and education which are some of the factors contributing to radicalisation.

For those who hold the entire Muslim community responsible the question is exactly what concrete proposals do you put forward as a step towards a solution? Not just words and condemnation but what do you believe needs to be done in practice that isn't already being done?
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

Braybuddy

Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:07 am

The issue of terrorism has come up several times in conversation and he has almost laughed off the link between the religion he feels he follows, and the religion that these people propagate.

Hmmmmm . . . wouldn't he be better served by being angry? I'm thinking of Northern Ireland years ago and the sectarian violence: it was no laughing matter, and most people were angry with their co-religionists killing people just because they had different beliefs.

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:57 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 5):
Doesn't Indonesia have the most Muslims of any Islamic nation? Also, Singapore is mostly Muslim, too, right? Funny how radicals are from war torn countries and/or countries with strict travel and laws.

Just to correct you there - Singapore is not mostly Muslim, Malaysia & Indonesia are.

Quoting pvjin (Reply 2):
Yeah, it's clear more moderate Muslims aren't really going to do much to fight radicalism in their communities.

There have been many moderate Muslim voices calling out against radicalism, but you won't be seeing it on the media - it doesn't really sell as well as scare-mongering news.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

afterburner

Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:09 am

Doesn't Indonesia have the most Muslims of any Islamic nation?

Yes. And it is the fourth most populous country and the third largest democracy in the world.

Kiwirob

Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:10 am

Singapore is mostly Muslim, too, right?

33% Buddhist, 18% Christian, 17% no religion, 15% Muslim.

cpd

Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:54 am

It doesn't matter what moderate Muslims do, because unless the average Joe Public reads about it in The Daily Telegraph, it didn't happen.

What did any of you Aussies here do to prevent Martin Bryant going on his Port Arthur rampage? He was obviously radical/violent enough. Why didn't you do anything about it?

777way

Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:20 am

[quote=KiwiRob,reply=10][/quot]
What about Hindus and Sikhs?

afterburner

Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:19 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 12):
What about Hindus and Sikhs?

According to the 2010 census, 5.1% of Singaporeans are Hindus.

pvjin

Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:40 pm

Quoting cpd (Reply 11):

Don't know about Australia, but at least here the media is very happy to report any good things done by a person of immigrant origin / Islamic faith.

In Finland at least it's not just religious radicalism that is an issue among our Muslim community. There's the wider lack of adaptation to western society and values that is causing friction. The truth is that your average European Muslim has very different ideas of things like gay rights, freedom of speech, freedom and religion and such compared to your average native Atheist / Christian. I would assume same somewhat applies to Australia too, though I suppose Muslim immigrants coming from countries like Indonesia and Malaysia might be more liberal on average than someone from Iraq or Somalia.

[Edited 2015-10-04 06:03:03]
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

Stealthz
Topic Author

Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:05 pm

Quoting cpd (Reply 11):
What did any of you Aussies here do to prevent Martin Bryant going on his Port Arthur rampage? He was obviously radical/violent enough. Why didn't you do anything about it?

A fair point but I think the Martin Bryant scenario is more akin to the disaffected loner like we saw cause such carnage in Oregon or against the children of Sandy Hook.
There is a community/Culture across the world that has a very extreme element that it seems reluctant to confront, the Martin Bryants, Oregon and Sandy Hook shooters are not part of a sponsored and encouraged movement.

Back to Martin Bryant, whilst no one knows what goes on in his mind it must be expected he has some grasp of society's feelings about his actions while he spends every day of his life in that stainless steel and glass "tank"

Probably related to another thread here but the hundreds of thousands in Australia that no longer possess firearms might have some concept of our societies thoughts on the matter.

Ken777

Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:05 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 2):
Yeah, it's clear more moderate Muslims aren't really going to do much to fight radicalism in their communities.

It is probably not in the nature of a moderate Muslim to go after the radicals, just like moderate Christians don't go after the Radicalized Christians, or moderate Conservatives don't go after Radicalized Conservatives.

To be blunt, it's is the radicals who are teaching the young Muslims that need to be addressed. Be they "religious leaders" or what ever they need to discover if there really are 72 virgins waiting for them. I'm sure there are sufficient virgins in Paradise to take care of all those teachers of terrorism.

Quoting pvjin (Reply 2):
To prevent Islamic terrorism from becoming more and more common only effective solution is restricting immigration from Muslim countries

I prefer eliminating those radicalizing the young Muslims. Dead teachers can't teach.

afterburner

Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:27 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 16):
I prefer eliminating those radicalizing the young Muslims. Dead teachers can't teach.

We put them behind bars. One of them is Abu Bakar Bashir.

AIRWALK

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:29 pm

And if they did then yes!!
People don't go around shooting people and blowing up places shouting "Start up" or "The Future starts now" if they did this message WOULD be directed at Microsoft.

I know it would be directed at Microsoft, my question was does that mean it represents them? As in just because this guy did it in the name of Microsoft, does that mean Microsoft told him to do that? Wouldn't you more likely think that this person is just a loony? So when someone kills someone in the name of a religion, does that necessarily mean that the religion told him to do it or put those ideas into his head?

greater Muslim community is unwilling to bring it self together to fix the problem!

How? What can an everyday muslim do that would fix, or even remotely help fix the problem?

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 7):

You misunderstood what I meant, perhaps poor wording on my part. What I meant by laughable is that he finds the link between him and these other murderers ridiculous, not that the crimes they commit are laughable by any means. Its like someone telling you that you have to step up and fix the problem of muslim extremism because you are also a male like this youth. Just because he was born with the same religion by name as these guys, doesn't mean he shares anything else in common with them.
I'm sure this thread will take off soon

Ken777

Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:08 am

Quoting afterburner (Reply 17):
We put them behind bars.

We do the same, and all that means is that they start preaching and converting prisoners. Why put them someplace where they can just recruit and develop additional terrorists?

TheCommodore

Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:16 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 19):
Why put them someplace where they can just recruit and develop additional terrorists?

WTF....?

Like what, the equivalent to your Gitto Bay ?

Sorry, but we don't believe in such things. You might, we don't !
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

WearyDrover

Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:29 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 19):

Because under Australian law there is no death penalty the only lawful option upon conviction is a term of imprisonment.

In a siege, hostage or attack situation the police may legitimately kill but they would need to be able to justify the killing at the subsequent enquiry. Simply shooting somebody because you think they might be a terrorist is generally not authorised.

There is also a further problem and that is at what point does voicing an opinion become incitement to crime or conspiracy? There is an implied freedom of speech under the Constitution so we can't simply place people in captivity just because we don't like what they say. This makes it difficult for the security forces as they require evidence of criminal activity or intent before a person can be arrested and charged.

Keeping non-citizen suspects out of Australia is easier because the Minister for Immigration can refuse a visa on the grounds of an adverse intelligence assessment.

Ken777

Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:35 am

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 21):
Because under Australian law there is no death penalty the only lawful option upon conviction is a term of imprisonment.

Not any longer. IIFC you have (had?) a politician named Peter Cook who's father was the last man hung in Australia.

That was some time ago, but older people remember his random shootings of people sleeping outside during the hottest nights of summer. His rein of terror got everyone inside with doors & windows locked - something new for people living in Perth. Back then places like Innaloo & Tuart Hill were considered pretty far out at the time. Perth never went back to their years of innocence,

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 21):
This makes it difficult for the security forces as they require evidence of criminal activity or intent before a person can be arrested and charged.

I believe that those working to recruit and develop terrorists are pretty well know in the Muslim community as well as the law enforcement. Australia, like other countries, are now seeing local, "home grown" Muslim kids recruited & developed.

Our challenge is to identify the recruiters & teachers and stop them dead. Otherwise you are just growing the pool of new terrorists, be they in prison or in the community.

aerorobnz

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:23 am

The important thing is he is dead now. He got what he wanted and he's now decaying in the ground. It's the best place for him.

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 6):
The Muslim community in Australia has indicated its willingness to work with government and police to counter radicalism.

Yes they have been more willing than they have been in other western countries.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

solarflyer22

Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:24 am

I read up on this incident because it was reported that he was Iranian and quite frankly Iranians don't conduct much terrorism in the name of Allah because they are Shiite not Sunni.

Anyway, long story short, this boy isn't Persian. He's an Iraqi Kurd whose family fled to Iran probably because Saddam Hussein was genociding them with chemical weapons (Iran took in about 300,000 Kurds)

And from what I read he didn't appear to be some ISIS driven lunatic. It was a targeted killing of one person (i.e. murder). That isn't terrorism merely because the man is a muslim.

This is the second time this hysteria in Australia has started and its wrong both times. The Sydney killer (Haron Monis) had an Interpol RED notice from Iran and they tried to extradite him back. Monis even got arrested for sexual assault. The man was obviously crazy! He converted from Shia Islam to Sunnism, then labeled himself a cleric, than transitioned to ISIS. He was obviously just nuts.

1 guy was a crazy spree killer, and the other was a murderer. Sure they were muslims but Islamic radicalization this was not.

mariner

Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:56 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 20):
Like what, the equivalent to your Gitto Bay ?

Sorry, but we don't believe in such things. You might, we don't !

The refugees being held on Nauru and Manus are in a situation not a million miles away from Gitmo.

mariner
aeternum nauta

melpax

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:57 am

Quoting solarflyer22 (Reply 24):
1 guy was a crazy spree killer, and the other was a murderer. Sure they were muslims but Islamic radicalization this was not.

I'm afraid it looks like it is.....

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/merrylands...rrorism-raids-20151007-gk32zq.html

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/terror-rai...atta-shooting-20151006-gk2u71.html

Kiwirob

Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:40 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 22):
Not any longer. IIFC you have (had?) a politician named Peter Cook who's father was the last man hung in Australia.

He wasn't the last person hung in Australia that honor goes to Ronald Ryan.

solarflyer22

Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:30 am

Quoting melpax (Reply 26):
ure they were muslims but Islamic radicalization this was not.

The Jabar kid looks like some 16 year old that got suckered by some psuedo muslim gang. This isn't al qaeda or ISIS but granted it looks like his sponsors wanted to behead some random in the street for the plight of muslims. That would certainly count as islamic terrorism or radicalism.

TheCommodore

Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:22 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 25):
The refugees being held on Nauru and Manus are in a situation not a million miles away from Gitmo.

With due respect Mariner. Worlds apart.

I have yet to see images like I have showing naked prisoners humiliated sexually like I have from Gitmo.

List of things used in Gitmo bay.

1. Sexual Assault/Humiliation
2. Sleep Deprivation
3. Sensory Deprivation
4. Solitary Confinement/Isolation
5. Mock Executions
6. Forced Medication
7. Use of Dogs to Scare Detainees
8. Temperature Extremes
9. Sensory Bombardment (Noise)
10. Watching Others Being Tortured
11. Psychological Techniques

http://rense.com/general56/gitmo.htm

If we were guilty of these things I'd be screaming from the roof tops.
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

mariner

Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:53 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 29):
With due respect Mariner. Worlds apart.

It is only a matter of degree. It may not be as bad as Gitmo, but it is more than bad enough.

People are being kept incarcerated with little hope of release, most of the refugees have not even been processed yet. Until this week, they have not even been allowed outside the camp. Not that I'd want to wander around Nauru myself, but the principle matters.

They have been subjected to violent attacks by some of the guards and at least one refugee has been murdered.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-2...rati-death-on-manus-island/6265212

"Trial of two men accused of killing asylum seeker on Manus Island to start next week"

Women have been raped. Since abortion cannot happen on Nauru, one rape victim is pleading to be allowed to come to Australia for an abortion.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/internation...concerns-for-somali-woman-on-nauru

"Australia is refusing to grant an abortion to the Somali woman who was raped after Canberra sent her to Nauru.

Lawyers for the Somali woman are pleading with the Australian government to bring her to Australia so she can have an abortion because the United Nations says the procedure is illegal in Nauru.

They have reportedly received no reply from either Australia's Prime Minister or the Immigration Minister."

I very much hope that you are signing that petition.

You can get on your high horse about Gitmo all you want, but I think we should sort out our own backyard first. As an Australian, I am ashamed and angry that our government allows - forces - people to endure this.

mariner

[Edited 2015-10-07 21:56:01]
aeternum nauta

WearyDrover

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:00 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 30):
but I think we should sort out our own backyard first. As an Australian, I am ashamed and angry that our government allows - forces - people to endure this.

Hear, hear.

Not that it means much, welcome to my respected users list.

TheCommodore

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:57 am

It is only a matter of degree. It may not be as bad as Gitmo, but it is more than bad enough.

That may be the case, but as you say yourself... its not as bad as Gitmo, and its still open to this day. At least the detainees in Nauru are allowed out to enjoy freedom and there new way of life, unlike the people currently held up in Gitmo Bay, perhaps NEVER to be released without trail.

I very much hope that you are signing that petition.

Haven't heard of any petition ?

You can get on your high horse about Gitmo all you want, but I think we should sort out our own backyard first.

High horse, well thank you Mariner.

I am one of "those" Australians, who actually feel we should look after our own homeless and destitute before we look after anyone else. We have an enormous domestic violence problem to, 4 women have recently been killed/murdered, perhaps we should look at fixing that before other problems?

No doubt you'll have something to say about that too ?

mariner

Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:39 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 32):
At least the detainees in Nauru are allowed out to enjoy freedom and there new way of life, unlike the people currently held up in Gitmo Bay, perhaps NEVER to be released without trail.

Many of the spokespeople for the refugees think that they may be in more danger - the women especially - being allowed out.

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 32):
I am one of "those" Australians, who actually feel we should look after our own homeless and destitute before we look after anyone else. We have an enormous domestic violence problem to, 4 women have recently been killed/murdered, perhaps we should look at fixing that before other problems?

No doubt you'll have something to say about that too ?

Nope, not much.

It goes without saying that we should look after our own. I am extremely pleased that the new PM has made violence against women and families a priority.

That doesn't stop me from being appalled by what is happening on Manus and Nauru.

mariner
aeternum nauta