Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VHVXB
Topic Author

Rugby World Cup Thread - Part 2

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:29 am

Continuation of the previous archived thread

The Rugby World Cup Thread (by yowza Aug 28 2015 in Non Aviation)

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/pools

Pool A
Wales and Australia through

Pool C
NZ and Argentina through

Pool D
France and Ireland through

Most likely teams to make it to the qtrs in Pool B
South Africa and Scotland

Thoughts on the tournament so far? Quite impressed with the Wallabies performance against England on Saturday. In addition, the Second tier teams have performed admirably against the top tier nations with no real blow out scores being put on.

yowza

RE: Rugby World Cup Thread - Part 2

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:01 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Thread starter):
Thoughts on the tournament so far? Quite impressed with the Wallabies performance against England on Saturday. In addition, the Second tier teams have performed admirably against the top tier nations with no real blow out scores being put on.

I'm still gunning for a Springboks revival but there is still a ways to go on that front. The victory over Scotland was convincing but question marks remain. Let's hope the bokke iron things out and peak at the right time.  

The Aussies look to be the form team. They have been the most composed and convincing team of all the big names. Most importantly they have not had a bogey game yet. The same cannot be said for Ireland and NZ. Both of whom looked pretty average and very beatable in their last outings.

Before the RWC kicked off I said Canada would not win a single game and sadly I think that this is going to be the case. Look for a loss to lowly Romania this week.

YOWza

Grizzly410

Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:44 am

Just like you guys, I think Wallabies are playing the best rugby so far.

For the moment no surprise on this first round (England out, but one 'big' had to be eliminated in this group anyway), the pressure will start to raise soon and we'll have game with a fair bit more of intensity and engagement.

Quoting yowza (Reply 1):
Before the RWC kicked off I said Canada would not win a single game and sadly I think that this is going to be the case.

Well with 3 games against team from the VI nations that's hardly a surprise. If there's one to win it's against Romania today ! And, not a win but IMO they did pretty well against France, made them doubt quite a bit until minute 60.
In order to be old and wise, one must first be young and dumb.

yowza

Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:28 pm

Quoting Grizzly410 (Reply 2):
Well with 3 games against team from the VI nations that's hardly a surprise. If there's one to win it's against Romania today ! And, not a win but IMO they did pretty well against France, made them doubt quite a bit until minute 60.

As predicted the boys choked against Romania.  

YOWza

ZKSUJ

Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:24 am

Impressed with the Wallabies. The All Blacks are yet to fire so far... All the other big teams have not been too impressive tbh

Zkpilot

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:37 am

Really well done by Japan. They will only continue to improve with entry into Super Rugby and more games.

Now onto the Q/Fs:

Good improvement by Australia (although I think they are showing their hand early - had to though in the pool of death).

Wales have done well but are hampered by injury.

Ireland are doing nicely.

South Africa had the shocker against Japan and haven't been convincing. They could be holding back.

Argentina are doing well and will be a challenge for some teams.

Scotland... ho hum...

New Zealand... on cruise control... definitely holding back (coach even admitted). Might be slightly underdone for the Q/Fs but shouldn't have a problem and that should sort them out for the S/Fs. Still the favourites.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

Kiwirob

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:13 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 5):
New Zealand... on cruise control... definitely holding back (coach even admitted).

That's just a piss poor excuse for Carters subpar performances all Cup, the only decent game he's had in a couple of years was against Australia at Eden Park this year, he has no place on this team, if France beats us it will be down to playing Carter IMO.

zkojq

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:22 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Thread starter):

Nice username! 
First to fly the 787-9

VHVXB
Topic Author

Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:37 pm

Quoting yowza (Reply 1):

I'm still gunning for a Springboks revival but there is still a ways to go on that front. The victory over Scotland was convincing but question marks remain. Let's hope the bokke iron things out and peak at the right time.  

Played well in their match against the U.S

Quite impressed with the Wallabies defensive effort against Wales. Hopefully there is enough in the tank to take them all the way.

QTR Finals this weekend
South Africa v Wales
New Zealand v France
Ireland v Argentina
Australia v Scotland

I think we may see an all Southern Hemisphere semi final next weekend. Your thoughts???

Zkpilot

Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:30 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 8):
QTR Finals this weekend
South Africa v Wales
New Zealand v France
Ireland v Argentina
Australia v Scotland

I think we may see an all Southern Hemisphere semi final next weekend. Your thoughts???

Quite possible!
I think that with injuries Wales are spent so South Africa progress.
France haven't been playing well and the AB's are building nicely so New Zealand progress.
Ireland took a bit of a hit to make the Q/F and might lose a player to suspension. Argentina are playing well. tough one but probably Argentina.
Australia, sorry Scotland.

South Africa v New Zealand S/F.... that will be a huge match going by recent results and WC form NZ to final.
Australia v Argentina.... Australia will come through but nicely tenderised for the AB's in the final.

aerorobnz

Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:24 am

The heart says

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 8):
South Africa v Wales
New Zealand France
Ireland v Argentina
Australia vScotland

The head says

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 8):
South Africa
New Zealand
Ireland
Australia
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

zkojq

Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:17 pm

"he's not punching, just pushing him with his fist" - Nigel Owens. WTF?

Great match otherwise thus far. (NZL v FRA).
First to fly the 787-9

pacificjourney

Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:29 pm

That was superb, All Blacks 2 - France 13

I'm not sure I've ever seen a better performance from the AB's than this. people giving France some stick for their game today but they weren't so bad - ewxcept line outs were shocking - just that they playing a team far, far better than them in all respects and the result reflects just that.

6 of the tries were from a runner pulling in an extra player or 2 and then off loading with that one-handed back pass. No team isgoing to beat that sort of ball handlng !

BTW, must be really tough on a team when the oppositions last sub is Sonny-Bill Williams and the second to last is Beauden Barrett.

I am actually picking Argentina to beat Ireland (sorry guys) but the jocks will have nothing to say to Australia in the other semi's tomorrow.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

Aesma

Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:35 pm

Quoting pacificjourney (Reply 12):
That was superb, All Blacks 2 - France 13

I wish !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

gkirk

Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:56 pm

Scotland cruelly denied victory against the Aussies, so, so close  
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Kiwirob

Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:13 pm

Well time to go out on a limb here and predict Argentina to beat Aussie and the Boks to beat NZ (pains me to say this) . Whatever happens it's going to be awesome!

I could even see Argentina beating South Africa if they made the final.

777Jet

Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:41 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 15):
Well time to go out on a limb here and predict Argentina to beat Aussie and the Boks to beat NZ (pains me to say this) . Whatever happens it's going to be awesome!

I'll predict the opposite; NZ - AUS final with NZ winning by 20+.

DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

Zkpilot

Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:10 am

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 15):

Have you been watching the same RWC???
The Boks are going to get smashed.
AR v Oz will be a great game... I agree that AR might get up and beat Oz.

CPH-R

Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:00 am

Guess the Boks best hope is the fact that NZ played a perfect game of rugby against Les Bleus. What are the odds of them doing it twice in a row?

Argentina beating Ireland was a pleasant surprise, but let's be realistic here, they were up against an injury depleted team and the end score was very flattering towards them.

Kiwirob

Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:11 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 17):
Have you been watching the same RWC???

Never discount the Boks!

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 18):
Guess the Boks best hope is the fact that NZ played a perfect game of rugby against Les Bleus. What are the odds of them doing it twice in a row?

It's the best game the AB's have played in the last 2 years. Even Carter played ok, I doubt he has the gas in the tank for another two games at that level.

yowza

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:05 pm

What a weekend! I am pumped for the semis! I just hope the Boks realize that the highest level of play they have shown this tournament needs to be pretty much doubled to have any chance against the freight train that is the All Blacks.

In all likelihood the other semi will be the better game. Hopefully Los Pumas can get it done!

I have to say that I am a little disappointed at the lack of grace shown by the fans of teams that got pipped this weekend. I know how emotional things get but some of the behaviour and verbal diarrhea have just been too much.

YOWza

Zkpilot

Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:59 am

Quoting yowza (Reply 20):

I have to say that I am a little disappointed at the lack of grace shown by the fans of teams that got pipped this weekend. I know how emotional things get but some of the behaviour and verbal diarrhea have just been too much.

Yes I was watching it again and the Scottish fans were for the most part liking Jouberts reffing up until that last call.
Yes he made a mistake (should have been an Oz scrum) but he made a call in the moment and wasn't allowed to use the TMO. Also Australia might very well have won that scrum or got a drop goal. If that call had been in the first half nobody would be talking about it.

ZKSUJ

Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:38 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 21):

I feel for them, same feeling as the forward pass back in 2007 with Wayne. But its the cruel nature of sport I guess. Im hoping for NZ to go through, and in the other semi on current form it's quite hard to pick. Though I would imagine the Ozzies have more big game composure than the Argies... should be good

gkirk

Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:29 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 21):
Yes I was watching it again and the Scottish fans were for the most part liking Jouberts reffing up until that last call.
Yes he made a mistake (should have been an Oz scrum) but he made a call in the moment and wasn't allowed to use the TMO. Also Australia might very well have won that scrum or got a drop goal. If that call had been in the first half nobody would be talking about it.

For the most part it's been the English media trying to stir things up, the vast majority of Scottish fans are wishing Australia well in the semi finals   
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Kiwirob

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:17 pm

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 22):
Though I would imagine the Ozzies have more big game composure than the Argies... should be good

I think the Argies are on a role, and would not be surprised if they won, I hope they do, as the old saying goes I support two teams, New Zealand and anyone playing Australia.

zkojq

Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:12 pm

3 - 7 to the All Blacks at eight minutes in. What a fantastic match this will be!

[Edited 2015-10-24 08:13:39]
First to fly the 787-9

777Jet

Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:23 am

I hope you didn't put money on such a margin  
Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 25):
What a fantastic match this will be!

What a great match!
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

Kiwirob

Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:28 pm

Here's hoping Argentina beats Aussie today.

Zkpilot

Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:51 pm

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 26):

I hope you didn't put money on such a margin  

Nah, was a close game!

So it's going to be an NZ v AU final.
Pumas were in it for most of the game. Still a semi-final appearance for them is a good overall result and shows how much they have improved.

aerorobnz

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:42 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 28):
So it's going to be an NZ v AU final.

The most boring possible final combination. I was really hoping we would have at least one new team in the final, if not two. What it shows is the dire state of "world" rugby and the reluctance to assist developing rugby teams by skewing the pools to assist the 'big' teams.

Whatever the result in the final I will be disappointed.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

CPH-R

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:51 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 29):
The most boring possible final combination. I was really hoping we would have at least one new team in the final, if not two. What it shows is the dire state of "world" rugby and the reluctance to assist developing rugby teams by skewing the pools to assist the 'big' teams.

I'll be damned if I can remember where I read it, but someone suggested that the Rugby World Cup should take a hint from one of the other codes (I can't remember if it was League or Sevens), and let the teams that are knocked out challenge each other for some sort of shield or trophy. Gets them more games against the bigger teams, which could only help their development.

Kiwirob

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:10 am

Pumas were in it for most of the game. Still a semi-final appearance for them is a good overall result and shows how much they have improved.

I think they are right up there, they beat Australia last year and South Africa this year.

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 30):
I can't remember if it was League or Sevens

Sevens, but I doubt players would be physcally able to play more games, remember this isn't a sissy sport like football.

As a Kiwi I'm happy the AB's have made the final, but as a fan of rugby in general and wanting to see rugby broaden it's fan base a South Africa Argentina final would have been better for the global game, the Pumas would have a real shot at beating the Boks, and that would be gold for the RFU.

zkojq

Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:40 pm

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 22):
I feel for them, same feeling as the forward pass back in 2007 with Wayne.

Speaking of which, I don't think he did a very good job in today's match. While it didn't have an effect on who won, this is top level Rugby and bad calls from the ref really aren't acceptable. Thankfully Nigel Owens will be running the final; he has a much better record.

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 26):
What a great match!

Indeed, though quite stressful to watch!

They played quite well this morning. For much of the second half they were only a converted try away from having more points than Australia. They spend a lot of time deep in Australian territory. Even after Australia's final try, when it was obvious that the ship had sailed, they were still down there and got close after Australia's defence seemed to collapse (a few minutes before the final whistle).

It has to be said, that the Aussies are very good at forcing turnovers.

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 29):
The most boring possible final combination. I was really hoping we would have at least one new team in the final, if not two.

Yeah, but I'm sure there are lots of diehard English fans who would love to see a Bledisloe Cup final live, but don't want to have to go all the way to the wrong side of the world to see it.

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 31):
I think they are right up there, they beat Australia last year and South Africa this year.

I genuinely hope that they make it to the finals next time around.
First to fly the 787-9

777Jet

Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:56 am

I give NZ a 60% chance of winning the final versus a 40% chance to AU.

Having said that, no result would surprise me.

I could see either team winning a close match or either team winning by a decent margin, especially given that the game is neither being played in Eden Park, New Zealand nor in the Southern Hemisphere in general - I think the Aussies might be just slightly more comfortable playing in England and that is why I given them a chance and say that no result would surprise me...   

RyanairGuru

Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:23 am

60:40 chance would be about right IMHO. There is no chance whatsoever that it will be a repeat of the drubbing at Eden Park in August. Personally I'd expect it to be relatively close and relatively low scoring, but it could definitely go either way.

The Wallabies definitely showed moments of weakness on Monday morning, especially in the set piece, but their defence has been a stand out all tournament. Argentina dominated possession for most of the second half but never really came close to the line.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ZKSUJ

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:45 am

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 31):

They'll beat us in the not too distant future too is my pick. Lack of finese just robbing them of a few opportunities which would have seen them through. Well hopefully NZ go all the way, now to find a pub to go and watch it in at 5am lol

zkojq

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:30 am

http://i.imgur.com/ouWqpwq.jpg

Very classy of The Daily Telegraph.
First to fly the 787-9

VHVXB
Topic Author

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:31 am

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 35):
They'll beat us in the not too distant future too is my pick. Lack of finese just robbing them of a few opportunities which would have seen them through.

Hopefully the players who have enlisted in the new Argentine Rugby franchise continue on with the success

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 35):
Well hopefully NZ go all the way, now to find a pub to go and watch it in at 5am lol

LOL. Stay at home, stay in bed   
The Wallabies will win. No pressure. Hahaha          

VHVXB
Topic Author

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:37 am

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 36):

You've been sucked in. The Telegraph is a shit publication. The coverage it provides Rugby Union is poor.

RyanairGuru

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:41 pm

*groan* other than manufacturerd outrage the Telegraph is good for nothing. It really is the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel trash tabloid. I refuse to read it even when it's free, and if that makes me a snob then so be it.

Get back to us when the Sydney Morning Herald or The Australian run something so tasteless.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

zkojq

Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:00 am

Finally, some proper banter!

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 38):
The Telegraph is a shit publication.
Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 39):
Get back to us when the Sydney Morning Herald or The Australian run something so tasteless.

Isn't the Telegraph the most widely circulated paper in NSW?  
First to fly the 787-9

CPH-R

Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:59 pm

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 40):
Finally, some proper banter!

It appears to be on - unfortunately with a lack of aircraft painting http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/7...ndly-feud-ahead-of-World-Cup-final

RyanairGuru

Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 40):

The Sun has the highest circulation in the UK, and to be fair the Telegraph is a bastion of journalistic excellence in comparison!

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 41):

For what does the losing airline have to do?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

CPH-R

Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:49 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 42):
For what does the losing airline have to do?

No details yet, since they took the negotiations offline. Last I heard, it involved flight crews donning the opposing country's jerseys.

mariner

Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:05 pm

The Wallabies will win. No pressure. Hahaha

As an Aussie living in NZ, I don't really care who wins. But I'll be watching the referee, the wonderful Nigel Owens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDh1xtqaWA

Or this: "If you don't like the scrummage - you're in the wrong position."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCVzqcuLgkw

mariner
aeternum nauta

777Jet

Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:04 pm

Very classy of The Daily Telegraph.

Typical Kiwi whinging...  
Quoting VHVXB (Reply 38):
You've been sucked in.

aerorobnz

Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:24 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 44):
I don't really care who wins. But I'll be watching the referee, the wonderful Nigel Owens:

Likewise. He's the star of the show.

RyanairGuru

Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:26 am

Peter Fitzsimons in today's SMH basically said that if these two teams played each other 10 times the Kiwis would win 7 of them. They have to play each other once, though, so statistics are irrelevant. New Zealanders might write that off as Aussie dreaming, but it would be a mistake to do so. The money is on the All Blacks, make no mistake, but it will be a close game. Whoever wins will do so by less than a converted try.

Neither team looked invincible in the semis, IMHO it will be won and lost in the top two inches.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

zkojq

Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:53 pm

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 45):
Typical Kiwi whinging...
https://scontent-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/12193864_938441989537258_843795360793924702_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=247e1fd7a640899f0b2e94559945ded1&oe=56C31EA0
First to fly the 787-9

zkojq

Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:11 pm

21-3 to the All Blacks after a great try from Nonu. It must really tough to watch for all my friends from the West Island. 
First to fly the 787-9