Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AA7295
Topic Author

NSA/GCHQ Can Remotely Access Smartphones

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:54 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34444233

According to a new Snowden allegation, the GCHQ can remotely access your smartphone. Snowden also revealed the internal names of the software suites used to facilitate such access.

This guy is kind of a douche. He keeps revealing top secret government capabilities to potential adversaries and terrorists.

Thoughts?

Aesma

RE: NSA/GCHQ Can Remotely Access Smartphones

Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:53 pm

Actually the adversaries know this already, and do the same. The terrorists use couriers, middle age style.

He's informing the clueless masses. Who won't care since they happily put their lives online all by themselves.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Acheron

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:13 pm

Quoting AA7295 (Thread starter):
This guy is kind of a douche. He keeps revealing top secret government capabilities to potential adversaries and terrorists.

Thoughts?

You make it seems like it is actually a revelation.

If journalists from a shitty tabloid like The News of the World could hack phones, that a government's capabilities go far beyond that is just a matter of common sense...

Everything can be hacked. The only difference is the amount of effort it can take and if it's worth it.

skywaymanaz

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:29 am

This guy is kind of a douche

Yeah that's always been my problem with how he did what he did. China and Russia certainly downloaded every byte of data on his laptop. It was a situation where I think the public would have embraced a whistleblower and to some extent has. Deepthroat style leaks to the media would have been better than letting foreign powers get a look at his material.

When I was in college and I first learned Alan Turing cracked the Enigma code it was always very vague how he did it. This was probably deliberate as some countries may still have been using rotor based machines to encrypt. The only vague clue I had was contrary to what Ayn Rand wrote A can never be A. This defect was overcome later with Lorenz rotor encryption but only German diplomatic messages seemed to use it. After computer encryption took off and wiring diagrams of Enigma's became available it was clear to me why A could never be A. Physically impossible to run an electric current through the machine that way. Once I saw how the machine was wired avenues of attack became obvious to me. Some of our computer encryption may have some educated guesses to mathematical avenues of attack but experts from a foreign power looking at Snowden's data may see a Rosetta stone  

tommy1808

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:47 am

The potential adversaries and terrorists already know all of that and changed their modus operandi accordingly years ago.

Quoting Acheron (Reply 2):
Everything can be hacked. The only difference is the amount of effort it can take and if it's worth it.

And that right there is the perfectly valid reason to encrypt anything that can be conveniently encrypted.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

zkojq

Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:26 am

This guy is kind of a douche.
Thoughts?

If anyone here is a douche its the ones who spy on us without warrants.  
First to fly the 787-9

pvjin

Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:58 am

The US government itself keeps supporting potential adversaries and terrorists in the Middle East. I think Snowden and Russia are doing good job at making this planet a better place after United States and its NATO puppets have messed things up big time.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

QFA380

Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:09 am

This guy is kind of a douche. He keeps revealing top secret government capabilities to potential adversaries and terrorists ordinary people who are being spied on by their own governments for no good reason.

Fixed that for you.

If I record a conversation I have with another human it is a crime and I can go to jail. Governments holding citizens to hugely differing standards.

For you and other Australians, recent Royal Commissions and ICAC enquiries have brought to light astounding evidence that I have no idea how any of it could have reasonably been procured, no one seems to be asking why a lawyer was able to obtain a politicians GPS whereabouts from his cars in built GPS. He even switched his phone off and they still got him!

seb146

Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Anyone with access to Dark Web knows this. Hell, I knew this even before I thought about buying a smart phone! So, why is this news?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

LAX772LR

Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Quoting Acheron (Reply 2):
If journalists from a shitty tabloid like The News of the World could hack phones, that a government's capabilities go far beyond that is just a matter of common sense
Quoting seb146 (Reply 8):
So, why is this news?

Exactly, to both of the above.

Who is this an actual revelation to? Is there really someone out there who thought that their phone was a secure platform??
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

N1120A

Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:33 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 1):
He's informing the clueless masses. Who won't care since they happily put their lives online all by themselves.

This.

No - he's informing the masses about what the intelligence community already knows.

Quoting pvjin (Reply 6):
The US government itself keeps supporting potential adversaries and terrorists in the Middle East.

Now that is true. Especially the Saudis and Israelis.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss