Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aeroflot777
Topic Author

Anyone Use Global Entry?

Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:35 pm

I have a US-based credit card that refunds me the cost of a Global Entry, so after years of reluctance, I finally took the plunge and applied for membership. I submitted the application at the end of last month, was conditionally approved yesterday after a background check. Somehow by extreme luck scored someone's cancelled appointment at SFO right away and went through the interview.

I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of the process from start to finish. Can't lie that I'm a little excited to be able to use the expedited lanes to pass through immigration after international flights. I've definitely spent many hours standing in those lines over the course of the past few years. Many airports are updating their regular immigration processes to include automated kiosks for all US Citizens (regardless of having Global Entry), and I've noticed this set-up really helps with processing people quicker, but GE should help even further since even those lines can get super long during peak hours.

Anyone here have experience with Global Entry. What are your thoughts on the program? It seems like Global Entry has had overwhelming response and they boast their membership growing pretty rapidly. Could we get to a point where there will be so many GE members, that it will render the program useless because lines for those kiosks will also get pretty extensive?

Cheers,
Aeroflot777

Birdwatching

RE: Anyone Use Global Entry?

Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:52 pm

Global Entry is wonderful. I've had it for about 2 years now and used it on about 10 arrivals into the US. I estimate the time savings at about an hour every time on average (plus the TSA Precheck that comes with it). So that's 10 more hours at the lounge instead of standing in line. Except once where I even caught an earlier connection at ATL because of this. Awesome!

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

COIAHLGW

Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:11 am

I'm not sure what your local airport conditions are after immigration, but at IAH, the other benefit is that you get to walk through a much shorter line (depending on time of day of course) when going through the final customs check. Plus the benefits Soren already mentioned!

deltairlines

Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:43 pm

As a 1-2x a month international traveler, it's a God-send. Never taken me more than 10 minutes to go plane to curb, and I've bypassed many a long line for immigration.

bluejuice

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:18 am

Ditto what other have said. GE is great. Folks using kiosks generally get through so quickly I've never had to wait to use one. As an added bonus, make sure your trusted traveller number is entered on US itineraries. This pretty much ensures you get to use the TSA PreCheck expedited security lines. Keep the laptop in your back, liquids don't need to come out, shoes stay on, and you can wear a light jacket. Just make sure you book your ticket with your name as it appears on your GE account
Not biased against vacuum flush.

gocaps16

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:41 pm

Love Global Entry. I got it last year since I travel frequently to the US from Japan while being in the US military. It helps.
How long was your interview? I did my interview in 7 minutes including fingerprints and all. It's a wonderful program until someone abuses it. Well worth the $100.

chrisair

Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:51 pm

I use it. I love it. It's fantastic. GE saved me 90 minutes in customs at YYZ one day. NEXUS (the Canadian version, which gets you GE for $50) saved me several times during very busy times at YVR.

LAX772LR

Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:12 am

Just got approved last Friday... I'm so excited to try it!

Should've done this a long time ago!
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

deltairlines

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:31 pm

Quoting gocaps16 (Reply 5):
How long was your interview? I did my interview in 7 minutes including fingerprints and all. It's a wonderful program until someone abuses it. Well worth the $100.

Mine took about 12 minutes including the time that they showed me how to use the machine.

My Global Entry is up in about 10 months, so I'll be starting the renewal process shortly.

mt99

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:20 pm

is it still needed?

My last 3 or 4 entries to the US (IAH+ORD) have been extremely quick using the Kiosks .. less than 5 min wait.
Step into my office, baby

LAX772LR

Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:28 pm

Quoting deltairlines (Reply 8):
Mine took about 12 minutes including the time that they showed me how to use the machine.

They did all that? Mine took my fingerprints, asked me my primary purpose in traveling internationally, asked if I had any questions, and that was a wrap. Not even 3min!

Quoting mt99 (Reply 9):
is it still needed?

...get stuck in a line at another gateway, and you wouldn't be asking that question!
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

N1120A

Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:26 pm

I've had NEXUS for about 6 years, which also gave me GE. It is incredibly useful.

Think about it, would you pay $10 per year (NEXUS) or $20 per year (GE) to be able to cut the line, use a kiosk and be treated better by customs/immigration? Actually, it is a bit less, because it expires on your birthday and you can time it to get it just after you have had one.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ADXMatt

Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:02 pm

I love GE. Just the benefit of Pre Check is worth the money. If you have the new passports with the chip in it you can also use it in Germany and Australia. (Their version of GE)

I get my new passport in 2017 so I haven't been able to try it yet.

There are a few other countries that you can use their version of GE but there is a fee for it.

bluejuice

Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:25 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 10):
...get stuck in a line at another gateway, and you wouldn't be asking that question!

At LAX, those that used the APC/ESTA kiosks still exited customs through the regular line. Last week there was a queue of about 100 people. I was the only one in the GE line. Handed my printout slip to the CBP agent and was out the door. Yes, GE is still worth it.
Not biased against vacuum flush.

Aeroflot777
Topic Author

Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:22 pm

Glad to hear that the program is well worth it for most folks, that's encouraging. Looking forward to making use of the membership.

Quoting gocaps16 (Reply 5):

My interview was all of 3 minutes, consisted of 2 random questions that didn't make much sense under the circumstances. Plus fingerprints and I was on my way.

L1011

Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:26 pm

I have Global Entry, and when I got in the queue in BOS, there were about 20 people in front of me. The kiosks didn't seem to be working. They finally brought over an immigration agent, and when I got to him he wanted my customs declaration form. I told him I didn't think I needed one for Global Entry, that the BOS agent that greeted our flight told us we didn't need one. He said, "Who do you listen to, her or me? Always fill out a customs declaration form." Then he threw one at me and told me to sit on the floor and fill it out. There was no table or chair, so I sprawled out on the floor and filled it out. He snatched it from me, stamped it, and gave it back. Then I went through the Global Entry gate for customs, and the lady made me show her my Global Entry card in order to use that lane. And if that wasn't bad enough, the next morning I went through TSA PreChek, and my shoes set off the alarm and I had to take them off and go back through. These shoes have never set off the alarm before. Not the end of the world, just an unpleasant experience at BOS.

Bob Bradley
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

redflyer

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:50 pm

I've been using it for about two years now and I couldn't imagine not having it. I fly to Europe about twice a month so considering it's saving me about an hour each trip that adds up to a lot of saved time and aggravation. Interestingly, I just got an invite from CBP to sign up for the UK's Registered Traveler Service. Since a majority of my trips are to or through the UK it will save me a lot of time now on the outbound legs.

One thing I have noticed, though, is that I'm finding I'm waiting in lines to use the GE kiosks, albeit it's a wait of only a few minutes. I've encountered these lines in ATL, JFK, and LAX. It appears more kiosks are going to be needed given the popularity of the program.

[Edited 2015-10-20 08:51:32]
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

gocaps16

Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:34 pm

Quoting L1011 (Reply 15):
and my shoes set off the alarm and I had to take them off and go back through

That happened to me at ORF on a 5:30am flight when I was flying out to Japan that morning. My leather shoes that my wife bought for me in Japan set off the metal detector and the TSA agent told me to "take off my shoes." Despite that these shoes are a hassle removing without taking the shoelaces off, I took them off, shoes went in for inspection and I made it past the agent and the metal detector. I love the looks of the other passengers waiting in the line at the long queue at security, where I just stroll through the TSA Precheck/Flight Crew line.

BHMNONREV

Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:57 pm

I've had GE for almost three years now, and was the best $100.00 I have ever invested. On my frequent trips thru DFW from SYD, I can go from the plane to the connecting terminal in 15 minutes (with hand carried bags). And that includes the 10 minutes of walks from plane to FIS

I would recommend anyone who has the opportunity or the inclination to get GE, by all means do so..