Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alberchico
Topic Author

Ankara Explosions Leave More Than 80 Dead

Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:59 pm

Looks like it was the work of the PKK. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34495161

This is only going to instigate a massive retaliation from Turkey resulting in many lives lost in the future.

mham001

RE: Ankara Explosions Leave More Than 80 Dead

Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:13 pm

Free the Kurds.

Except that a pro-Kurd party was attacked. Where do you get this was PKK?

[Edited 2015-10-10 08:17:56]

MD11Engineer

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:05 pm

According to the news I have heard here, the bombs exploded during a leftwing political demonstration calling for an end of the Turkish campaign in Kurdistan. I would rather see IS carrying out this type of bombing, as the communist Kurdish militia PKK and their Syrian offspring YPG are probably the most efficient groups fighting them. The Iraqi Kurds of the KRG, essentially two clan groups at odds with each other, as long as they don't have a common enemy, have reconquered what they consider Kurdish territory in Iraq and are now reversing Saddam Hussein's arabisation policies (Saddam Hussein settled Arabs in Kurdish territory to change the make up of the population) by driving ethnic Arabs out of what they consider Kurdish territory, but they don't seem to advance on IS anymore.

Also suicide bombings are not really a method the PKK used a lot.

Jan

mham001

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 2):
but they don't seem to advance on IS anymore.

Notice how the advance against IS stopped abruptly when Obama convinced Turkey to let him use an airbase. Upon which time, Turkey promptly started bombing Kurds. Obama has already sold out the Kurds.

MD11Engineer

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:34 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 3):
Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 2):
but they don't seem to advance on IS anymore.

Notice how the advance against IS stopped abruptly when Obama convinced Turkey to let him use an airbase. Upon which time, Turkey promptly started bombing Kurds. Obama has already sold out the Kurds.

The rather conservative KRG Kurds from Iraq are not exactly friends of the orthodox communist (Stalinist) PKK and YPG and had sweet deals going with Turkey. The Iraqi KRG is essentially two rival family clans trying to get control of the resources of their region. The Iraqi Kurdish government is considered to be highly corrupt.

Jan

1g

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:00 am

We don't know who did the bombings, currently everyone is pointing fingers at each other.

It's a tragic event that unfortunately many people from all sides trying to use for political gain. Basically people are just blaming political parties, no one seems to really care who was responsible for carrying out the attacks.

A332DTW

Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:23 am

Quoting mham001 (Reply 1):
Free the Kurds.

I really hope you're not trying to justify this in any way.

This was innocent civilians practicing free speech, advocating peace. They are not leverage.

TK105

Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:10 pm

As a resident of Ankara, I also would like to voice my comments.

First of all, this was a peace meeting organised by labor unions, semi governmental profession chambers (chambers of engineers, architects, doctors, etc) and political parties where they are centre-left and left oriented. Though it was a peace meeting, it was basically a anti-government protest meeting.

When I look at different news media in the west, I observe that each one approaches from one angle of the event and express the bombing as an aggression to the group which they sympathies. For example BBC explains the situation as if bombing was against Kurds though in really Kurdish Groups were perhaps only 10% of the contributors to the meeting.

I believe that, in the end we will see that bombing was done by IS when we look at the traces and codes of previous similar hostile attacks.

However main question needs to be answered is "who is in control of IS puppets in reality". Who organised it behind the curtain?

Stealthz

Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:20 pm

Quoting TK105 (Reply 7):
"who is in control of IS puppets in reality".

And I have no problem in believing that some of the despotic regimes that are providing huge support to IS would be comfortable with destabilising what is arguably the most democratic and stable country in the region

n229nw

Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:49 am

Quoting TK105 (Reply 7):
As a resident of Ankara, I also would like to voice my comments.

First of all, this was a peace meeting organised by labor unions, semi governmental profession chambers (chambers of engineers, architects, doctors, etc) and political parties where they are centre-left and left oriented. Though it was a peace meeting, it was basically a anti-government protest meeting.

When I look at different news media in the west, I observe that each one approaches from one angle of the event and express the bombing as an aggression to the group which they sympathies. For example BBC explains the situation as if bombing was against Kurds though in really Kurdish Groups were perhaps only 10% of the contributors to the meeting.

I believe that, in the end we will see that bombing was done by IS when we look at the traces and codes of previous similar hostile attacks.

However main question needs to be answered is "who is in control of IS puppets in reality". Who organised it behind the curtain?

Thanks for this helpful post. I suspect you are right.

sovietjet

Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:03 am

100+ people die and the thread doesn't even get 10 replies. Just looking at all the other mundane threads that were started in the past 2-3 days getting more attention it's quite sad that nobody cares.

WarRI1

Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:18 am

It is not so much nobody cares, it is a matter of feeling shocked, helpless and the certain knowledge that it is going to happen again and again. I have watched it a number of times already and it eventually fades as you wait for the next attack and deaths.

mham001

Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:21 am

Quoting sovietjet (Reply 10):
100+ people die and the thread doesn't even get 10 replies. Just looking at all the other mundane threads that were started in the past 2-3 days getting more attention it's quite sad that nobody cares.

Yes it is.

Quoting stealthz (Reply 8):
And I have no problem in believing that some of the despotic regimes that are providing huge support to IS

Turkey should look within itself, in that regard.

Aesma

Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:18 am

That's the main problem. Turkey was the best positioned to thrive, but thanks to Erdogan all is going to shit.

KPDX

Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:33 am

Quoting sovietjet (Reply 10):

What is there to say? It's tragic. There's so much tragedy in the world, it's difficult to leave condolences for each and every sad event. If it happened in the US or Western Europe, of course it would get far more attention. People can relate with it more closely (Airliners.net is primarily of North American and W. European members) and therefore it may strike a nerve. It's not politically correct like people would like it, but that's partially the way it is.

wingman

Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:44 pm

I can't help but think that whole part of the world is just regressing back to the Middle Ages. I agree with Aesma, Turkey came within spitting distance of normalcy but it looks like it's going down the same hell hole everyone else is. Another religion overdose. Maybe Muslims have to go through their 200 year "teenage phase" like Christians did way back when and they just need to work the bombing hormones out of their system.

mham001

Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Turkey/Erdogen has brought this upon themselves. And their treatment of minorities throughout history and presently is abhorrent while they stir up trouble around them. I root for the Kurds.

victrola

Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:26 pm

Erdogan and his party did a great job with the economy and then things went to his head. He picked a fight with the Kurda because the Kurdish party won too many seats in the last eletion thus depriving Erdogan's party of the ability fo form a government. So he cynically aggravites tensions with the Kurds in hopes that their party will lose popularity in the next election. Now he has war with the Kurds and his kid gloves treatment of ISIS has backfired.

1g

Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:41 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 13):

You're looking at it too black and white.

Quoting victrola (Reply 17):

PKK, the Kurdish militant group, ended the ceasefire themselves when the Suruç bombings happened, they just conveniently blamed the state for the attacks. After the bombings they killed two police officers with the excuse that they were cooperating with ISIS. Turkey just responded and has since escalated.

mham001

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:22 pm

Turkey has "warned" the US and Russia about supporting the Kurds in Syria. Word is, they are ready to cross the Euphrates and move towards Raqqa. I don't believe it was coincidence that the Kurd advance in Syria stopped when Obama got use of the airbase and Turkey supposedly joined the campaign against ISIS. Chaos reigns.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...syria-turkey-idUSKCN0S71BF20151013

The election will be very interesting, what tricks will Erdogen use if he does not get his majority government to extend his presidential powers?