Mike89406
Topic Author

Recommendation On A New Coffee Maker

Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:49 pm

My 12 cup Mr. Coffee maker doesn't work anymore and I'm considering using my 20% off coupon for Bed Bath & Beyond for a new machine. They carry Cuisine Art, Oyster, Hamilton Beach, Krups and a few others. I'm not trying to spend $100 0r buy something fancy however I would prefer a 12 cup maker, practical with a charcoal filter but makes good tasting Java.

[Edited 2015-10-12 14:53:10]

DocLightning

RE: Recommendation On A New Coffee Maker

Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:05 pm

Cuisinart and Krups are probably the two most solid brands for quality, durability, and reliability in general.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

planewasted

Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:12 pm

I love my Moccamaster. It brews really fast and the coffee is great! But it is pretty expensive and only makes 10 cups.

[Edited 2015-10-12 15:14:17]

L0VE2FLY

Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:25 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Thread starter):
I'm considering using my 20% off coupon for Bed Bath & Beyond for a new machine.

Do they still offer lifetime hassle-free warranty? If so, then whatever you buy stick with them.

Dreadnought

Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:39 am

I've had this Cuisinart for 4 years now, still works like new, makes great coffee (I like it strong).

http://amzn.com/B002IAV1N0

I've learned the hard way that any machine less than $40 or $50 will not last. The sweet spot in terms of quality and durability vs cost seems to be between $80 and $100. That's what you need to spend for a good drip coffee maker.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

WarRI1

Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:01 am

I have had the Keurig K Cup machine for about 6 years now, still going strong. I only drink about one cup per day, sometimes two, so you always have fresh coffee. I do turn it off when not is use. Not very good for the environment, but what is? Tons of choices as far as tastes go. About a 120 bucks, use the 20 % off coupon. My wife uses it for her Tea also, the regular tea bag tea.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

StuckInCA

Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:13 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 5):
I have had the Keurig K Cup machine for about 6 years now, still going strong. I only drink about one cup per day, sometimes two, so you always have fresh coffee.

The new ones are terrible. Just... no. I had an early one and it was solid though the coffee was just so-so. Now I've rolled through two (before just giving up) and have seen coworkers and my employer go through many. So many.

Capresso makes quality machines - I've had one for over 10 years and have only replaced the gold filter.

WarRI1

Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:28 am

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 6):
The new ones are terrible. Just... no. I had an early one and it was solid though the coffee was just so-so. Now I've rolled through two (before just giving up) and have seen coworkers and my employer go through many. So many.

The old new and improved again? I have only had this one, so I cannot really judge the new ones. I use the Italian Roast, French Roast and Expresso Roast by Barista Prima. Those are the only ones I use. I have been thinking of going back to the French Press. I will check out the Capresso, I am not familiar.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

jetwet1

Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:43 am

If you can find one, grab a Cuisinart DGB-300BK , these things are tanks, i've had mine for 12 years with zero issues.

BC77008

Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:26 am

I'm on my second Keurig as well and I've told myself that when this one goes, I'm finding something else. Yes the machine looks cool with its futuristic look and blue lights in my kitchen, but when you do the math, the k-cups cost about 50 cents each. So if your household consumes 4 cups a day (I'm 40 so yeah I need it...) that's $2.00 a day. Doesn't sound like too much does it? Well multiply that by 365 days that is $730.00 a year you are spending on coffee that you, yourself are brewing in your own home. Yes it's a significant savings over Starbucks, but couldn't that $730 be spent a little more wisely? Think about how that $730 could be working for you, invested, and earning compound interest, and you are throwing it away! So after I bought my Keurig and the novelty of it wore off and my more practical side emerged, I ended up buying a filter plastic k-cup for about $20 and I fill it with my own coffee and brew it and then scrape out the grounds and repeat. But really, when it comes to coffee brewing, all you are doing is dispersing hot water over coffee grounds, and really, does one machine do it sooooo much better than another? Just because one machine has all the little LED lights and buttons to push and the stainless steel facade and the cute pot doesn't mean that it produces a noticeably better cup of coffee than a machine primarily made of plastic
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

rugger

Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:43 am

Look on Ebay for an old Sunbeam Coffeemaster vacuum pot. Vacuum coffee tastes the best. It's the smoothest cup I have every had. I've had a Coffeemaster for about 10 years now. They are great.

AM744

Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:55 pm

Coffee aficionados swear by the Technivorm brand. It's Dutch. I've read time and time again that no brand has the quality and materials needed to raise water to the temperature required for a great cup of coffee. None. Not Krups, not any other. Those are expensive drip coffee machines though. I think around $400. I'd be willing to spend that money for good coffee though.

N1120A

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:14 pm

Hamilton Beach's Brew Station is a cool machine, but it breaks far too soon under heavy use.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

andz

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:57 pm

This thread reeks of pretension.

Kettle
Granules
Boil
Stir
Drink

From a tea drinker who is on his, er, second whisky  
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

mbmbos

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:00 pm

If you're using a drip I don't think you can do better than Mr. Coffee despite upscale coffeemaker brands in the same category. Consumer Reports places several Mr. Coffee drip machines at the top of their list. You can pay about double what you would pay for a Mr. Coffee and I don't think you'll get an appreciably better brew.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

N1120A

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:00 pm

Quoting andz (Reply 13):

Kettle
Granules
Boil
Stir
Drink

Instant coffee is awful.

Aesma

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:04 pm

I have a 2-cup (you put your two cups directly on the pot), 1 3-cup, 2 6-cup, 1 12-cup, and a couple others.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Dreadnought

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:12 pm

Quoting mbmbos (Reply 14):
If you're using a drip I don't think you can do better than Mr. Coffee despite upscale coffeemaker brands in the same category. Consumer Reports places several Mr. Coffee drip machines at the top of their list. You can pay about double what you would pay for a Mr. Coffee and I don't think you'll get an appreciably better brew.

Every one I have ever owned lasts no more than a year.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

N1120A

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:28 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 16):
I have a 2-cup (you put your two cups directly on the pot), 1 3-cup, 2 6-cup, 1 12-cup, and a couple others.

Moka's are great.

I own 6 cup and 9 cup Mokas, 2 large French Presses, a Pebo and a Drip Machine.

andz

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:34 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 15):
Instant coffee is awful.

Hence being a tea drinker
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

flyingturtle

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:36 pm

French press.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

L0VE2FLY

Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:09 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 17):

My 8 years old Mr. Coffee was still going strong when I gave it away to a friend a few years ago.

DocLightning

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:19 pm

http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/coffeemakers.html

Best coffee maker I ever had was one I poured by hand.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Kiwirob

Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:57 pm

Quoting planewasted (Reply 2):
I love my Moccamaster. It brews really fast and the coffee is great! But it is pretty expensive and only makes 10 cups.

Yup you can't beat a Moccamaster, we have two of these in my office floor, they are on the go 8 hours a day without fail 5 days per week. Norwegian have a serious coffee addiction, my guess is these machine's probably make 15-20 brews per day each.

http://emmasonesson.se/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/moccamaster.jpg

These are pretty much the Kirtchen Aid of coffee machines.

http://ljudbutiken.com/assets/uploads/brands/286/950_moccamaster2.jpg

[Edited 2015-10-17 11:58:44]

bunumuring

Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:44 am

I'm a fan of Nespresso. I switched from the types you all discuss above to the 'pod' system a few years ago because I was sick and tired of always cleaning bits and pieces, and the time it took, plus the usual breakdowns and expensive repairs. I have progressively bought more capable and more expensive Nespresso machines. I currently have a DeLonghi model and it's brilliant. I have only ever once had a breakdown with a Nespresso machine and a replacement part that I could install myself was shipped that same day, free of charge with a complimentary sleeve of pods as compensation.
And yes, I am a huge coffee snob and it shocks a lot of people that I have and use a Nespresso machine at home!
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

N1120A

Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:28 am

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 24):
And yes, I am a huge coffee snob and it shocks a lot of people that I have and use a Nespresso machine at home!

I'm a huge coffee snob and I refuse to have a Nespresso in my office or house.

I'm a fan of Nespresso.

I'm not. Environmental nightmare and mediocre coffee.

TSS

Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:35 am

Agreed, with the caveat that Mr. Coffee is great if you drink your coffee black or "dark & sweet" (only add sugar). If you prefer to add milk or cream, Mr. Coffee coffee makers don't keep the brewed coffee hot enough for that and you'd be better off with a Braun, a brand that keeps the brewed coffee at an almost McDonald's-like temperature.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 15):
Quoting andz (Reply 13):

Kettle
Granules
Boil
Stir
Drink

Instant coffee is awful.

Agreed, but he did say he was a tea drinker. If I had only ever tried instant coffee, I'd be a tea drinker too.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 17):

I've got to wonder what you're doing to your coffee makers. I've just started using my third Mr. Coffee in 22 years (the first was still working when I retired it but had started leaking condensate on to the counter, the main switch on the second one quit working after ten years or so of daily use).

I see a LOT of new or nearly new Cuisinart coffee makers at the thrift stores, usually the ones that can either grind whole beans themselves or accept pre-ground coffee, so I wonder what it is that many people apparently don't like about them? I've never owned or used that brand so I'm genuinely curious.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

N1120A

Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:25 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 26):
I see a LOT of new or nearly new Cuisinart coffee makers at the thrift stores, usually the ones that can either grind whole beans themselves or accept pre-ground coffee, so I wonder what it is that many people apparently don't like about them? I've never owned or used that brand so I'm genuinely curious.

Maybe changes in what stores are carrying, and they were donated?

bunumuring

Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:53 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 26):

Hey mate,
Every Cuisinart product I have owned has been a disappointment in some way. Never had a coffee machine, but for the premium price they demand here in Australia, I don't see the value for money. Maybe reliability issues or poor market perception could result in 'thrift shop' appearances?

Quoting N1120A (Reply 25):
Quoting bunumuring (Reply 24):And yes, I am a huge coffee snob and it shocks a lot of people that I have and use a Nespresso machine at home!
I'm a huge coffee snob and I refuse to have a Nespresso in my office or house.

I'm a fan of Nespresso.
I'm not. Environmental nightmare and mediocre coffee.

Exactly the kind of reception I receive ... until I make the speaker a cup, in front of them... and oh! I recycle the used pods. Yes, some 'blends' of Nespresso pods are mediocre, but the stronger ones and the decaf blends are excellent for 'at home' coffee...

cheers,
Bunumuring.

TSS

Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:50 am

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 28):
Quoting TSS (Reply 26):

Hey mate,
Every Cuisinart product I have owned has been a disappointment in some way. Never had a coffee machine, but for the premium price they demand here in Australia, I don't see the value for money. Maybe reliability issues or poor market perception could result in 'thrift shop' appearances?

Reliability issues was my first guess as well, since the ones I've seen have been used, but obviously haven't been used much. The only other reason I can think of, and I've seen this happen numerous times in my own family, is this: Mom and Pop ask for a new coffee maker for Christmas, anniversary, etc. to replace the leaky, wheezy, 20-year-old basic model they're currently using. The kids go overboard and buy a top-of-the-line Cuisinart that can grind whole beans and has separate controls for number of cups brewed, brew strength, and temperature. Mom and Pop hate the complexity of the Cuisinart, plus the fact that it takes up a lot more counter space than their old coffee maker, so they quietly donate it to a thrift store after buying a no-frills $20 Mr. Coffee.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

planewasted

Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:11 am

I'm a fan of Nespresso. I switched from the types you all discuss above to the 'pod' system a few years ago because I was sick and tired of always cleaning bits and pieces, and the time it took, plus the usual breakdowns and expensive repairs

It takes 10 seconds to put the parts of my coffee maker in the dishwasher. And the only thing that can fail is the heating element. Nespresso machines have a pump that can fail.
Nothing wrong with nespresso though, but i prefer brewed coffee.  

bunumuring

Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:54 am

Quoting planewasted (Reply 30):
It takes 10 seconds to put the parts of my coffee maker in the dishwasher. And the only thing that can fail is the heating element. Nespresso machines have a pump that can fail.
Nothing wrong with nespresso though, but i prefer brewed coffee.

Yes, the pump can fail I have heard and seen on internet forums/boards but I have never had that happen to me or anyone else I know. The part that broke on mine was the detachable holding tank for used pods, and it was my fault as I dropped it when taking it out of the dishwasher.

I prefer brewed coffee as well, but for convenience, the Nespresso wins in my mind... Geez, I am beginning to sound like George Clooney, aren't I? Wish I looked as distinguished as him, lol!

Cheers,
Bunumuring.

PITingres

Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:56 pm

They're a bit above your apparent price range, but if you want really good drip coffee without paying Technivorm prices, try:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/product/brazen-plus-brewer-by-behmor

or

http://www.sweetmarias.com/product/b...p-coffee-maker-with-thermal-carafe

(You can find both at various vendors, not just Sweet Maria's.)

If you're OK with brewing just enough for a mug at a time, dig around on eBay or thrift shops for a Melitta BCM-4 (that model specifically). They were given away with a Gevalia coffee promotion, I believe. The BCM-4 and the two I've listed above are among the few drip brewers which brew at the proper temperature. Most drippers run the hot water tube thru the cold water reservoir, resulting in brewing at too low a temp and you get sour coffee.

As for Nespresso, it depends on what you're comparing with. I find Nespresso entirely mediocre but my standard is home roasted, roast no more than 2 weeks old, fresh burr-ground immediately before brewing. If you're used to a B grade dripper using pre-ground grocery store coffee that was over-roasted to hide the defects in the bulk-processed greens ("strong dark roast" is BS), Nespresso may well taste great in comparison.

Two other options that are worth consideration are a French press (great coffee but some don't care for the mouth feel), or an Aeropress which is a single cup method which gives a really smooth cup, sort of a filtered press cup. Buy a $50 hand burr grinder, a $20 press or Aeropress, decent freshly roasted beans, and you're on the way to some really excellent coffee.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

Scooter01

Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:59 pm

- Just broke the glass pot on my Moccamaster while doing dishes. Oh well, guess I have to use the French press until tomorrow when I can buy a new one.
(Just have to remember to change the setting on my coffe grinder)

Scooter01   

PS. A coffee maker that has a thermocan is also useful if all the coffee youv'e made isn' going to be comsumed right away.

Edited for spelling

[Edited 2015-10-18 08:01:58]

[Edited 2015-10-18 08:07:38]
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

flyingturtle

Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:41 pm

Exactly the kind of reception I receive ... until I make the speaker a cup, in front of them... and oh! I recycle the used pods. Yes, some 'blends' of Nespresso pods are mediocre, but the stronger ones and the decaf blends are excellent for 'at home' coffee...

Well, my opinion... recycling can be really bad, as it is always involves energy costs. Why recycle something that could be easily avoided in the first place?

Then, Nespresso shops resemble Apple stores. Both companies mostly sell a lifestyle. The tangible product comes later.

And with what you pay for the kilogram of Nespresso coffee, the farmer from Tanzania could probably send his sons to take up flying lessons in the United States.

Three reasons which are more than enough to not drink Nespresso coffee. And then, using a French press is simpler (you can just flush the used powder down the drain - or the more ecologically refined people collect and use it as compost), and it follows the UNIX philosophy: By using separate grinder, water boiler and French press, I have three things which only do a single thing - and they do it well! 

David

garnetpalmetto

Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:47 am

Quoting planewasted (Reply 2):

Quoting AM744 (Reply 11):

Coffee aficionados swear by the Technivorm brand. It's Dutch. I've read time and time again that no brand has the quality and materials needed to raise water to the temperature required for a great cup of coffee. None. Not Krups, not any other. Those are expensive drip coffee machines though. I think around $400. I'd be willing to spend that money for good coffee though.

Yup. Count me in the Technivorm ranks. I got mine for about $270 through Williams-Sonoma (I'm a fan of the KBT-741 version with the manual drip control and the thermal carafe). Really no coffee maker can compete with it. Between the quality, durability, and the superior cup of coffee it produces, I'll gladly pay the $270 for a machine that will last rather than the $100 or so for a Mr. Coffee or such that will just die on me in a couple years. Plus it's the exact opposite of fancy -an on/off switch and the toggle for the drip control and that's it. So simple that even half asleep and uncaffeinated I can make it work.

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 33):
- Just broke the glass pot on my Moccamaster while doing dishes.

Precisely why I like the thermal carafe version!

As OP doesn't seem to be willing/interested to pay $270 for a machine they'll likely not have to replace for the foreseeable future, might I suggest another good brand that will, again, brew a good cup of coffee by hitting the right temperature almost every single time and actually do justice to the coffee you've bought? The Bonavita BV1800 is cheaper than a Moccamaster and almost as good.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

seb146

Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:42 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 16):

12 cup might get me to lunch. Might....

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 20):
French press.

David

My new best friend.

The brosband's mother has a K-Cup thing. It is a good idea if you don't drink much coffee. If you drink that little coffee, you are the devil incarnate. I love my Mr. Coffee because I NEED my 32 ounce coffee to wake up. To function after that, I need to see how things go....

Besides, because I drink coffee and he does not, I don't have to fight over "this coffee is too strong!!!" Why do you think I have ex's?  
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Redd

Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:59 am

Personally, I don't like drip coffee, coffee flavor comes out much richer under pressure.

If I were to buy a coffee machine it would be the all in one, grind & brew. The machine grinds your beans right before brewing your coffee under pressure like an espresso machine.

flyingturtle

Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:19 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 36):
Besides, because I drink coffee and he does not, I don't have to fight over "this coffee is too strong!!!" Why do you think I have ex's?

The same with my girlfriend. We'll never have a debate on cheese fondue or coffee because of this...

David

OA260

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:00 pm

"Coffee snob" here also but I have had Krups Nespresso machines for years before they became so famous. My first was a manual one. Now have the Lattissima and love it. Good quality coffee and lots of varied blends.

idealstandard

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:54 am

At work we use a Bravilor Bonamat machine which is great. Really great.

At home I have a De’Longhi ECAM28.465.M bean to cup which is expensive and nice looking but not all that. I prefer the good old stove top espresso makers.