KarelXWB
Topic Author

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Poster

Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:31 pm

We now have an official poster:

http://oi60.tinypic.com/5tw5k2.jpg

Who will watch the movie in the cinema?
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

petertenthije

RE: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Poster

Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:43 pm

Quoting KarelXWB (Thread starter):
Who will watch the movie in the cinema?

Hell yeah I'm going. Probably not opening night, but not much later either.
Attamottamotta!

Okie

Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:41 pm

Quoting petertenthije (Reply 1):
Hell yeah I'm going. Probably not opening night, but not much later either

I am with you, not opening day/night. Most likely there will be some 12:01 am showings the day of release around here.

Okie

jetwet1

Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:01 am

I somehow managed to book a cruise the week it comes out, we will be mid Atlantic the day it is released   

What I will probably end up doing is scheduling an employees only showing the night we get back in town.

DocLightning

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 am

And there's a lens flare right there.

Yup, it's JJ Abrams...
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Aaron747

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:41 am

Wow, the makeup people are going to win an Oscar for Carrie Fisher's makeover 
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

EA CO AS

Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:19 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
And there's a lens flare right there.

Yup, it's JJ Abrams...

Ugh, JJ and his goddamn lens flares...I KNEW he'd go there...
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Kiwirob

Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:29 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 5):
Carrie Fisher's makeover

JUst a reminder of what was.

http://usatlife.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/leia.jpg?w=1000&h=1510

slider

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:10 pm

Ah, slave girl Leia.....Oh, if I had a dollar for every time I....er, um, nevermind....haha

I like the poster. Interesting that the most commented on feature is what/who is NOT in it--Luke Skywalker. Interesting.

And the planet/Death Star looking thing may be a real spoiler in the poster--the Starkiller base.

The theatrical trailer--three minutes long--comes out tonight during Monday Night Football. Disney is genius. They own ESPN networks, so perfect captive audience (and target demographic) to roll this out from a marketing standpoint. I can't wait.

Okie

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:15 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 8):
The theatrical trailer--three minutes long--comes out tonight during Monday Night Football. Disney is genius. They own ESPN networks, so perfect captive audience (and target demographic) to roll this out from a marketing standpoint. I can't wait

Agreed.

I just hope they do not over hype the movie to the point that by the time it is released that I end up disappointed with the movie.

Okie

slider

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:29 pm

Quoting Okie (Reply 9):
I just hope they do not over hype the movie to the point that by the time it is released that I end up disappointed with the movie.

That's always the fear, right? I mean, I'm in my 40s, grew up on Star Wars and was bitterly disappointed by the prequels (as pretty much everyone was). To be fair, however, the expectations are SO high that it's dang near impossible to meet them. I've hedged myself somewhat this time around--at least that's to say I'm avoiding spoilers.

But there's an emotional love of SW, so visceral, that I'm immersing myself in this, every minute of it, and yeah, so if the movie is off a bit, no biggie.

In JJ We Trust.  

I think it's going to be great from a filmmaking standpoint, but there will be no pleasing some people in terms of the story. The crazed fanboys will probably whine and moan a bit, but this movie is a glorious thing--tying one generation to another and passing the torch of storytelling in this vehicle. I can't wait.

Boeing717200

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:24 pm

Film has a very different look to it:

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/here-ar...ar-wars-the-force-awakens-teasers/

Maybe lenses used or maybe we've just gotten so used to sci-fi films going overboard with the digital. Me Likey.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 6):
Ugh, JJ and his goddamn lens flares...I KNEW he'd go there...

Lucas and Spielberg practically invented lens flare. Its just more subtle due to film age plus painted backgrounds and lack of digital assist vs. today's equipment.

Anyone else notice someone missing in that poster? Interesting.

[Edited 2015-10-19 10:30:14]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

slider

Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:55 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 11):
Maybe lenses used or maybe we've just gotten so used to sci-fi films going overboard with the digital. Me Likey.

Abrams definitely wanted to use old school practical effects. Don't know if you saw this, but it's a great 3.5 minutes with some awesome glimpses into the way he's doing this film. It definitely will have a throwback original SW feel to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTNJ51ghzdY

DeltaMD90

Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:43 pm

I think these movies will be 3 solid, very good movies. Unfortunately, very good is a far cry from a classic, but I think they'll be done justice... especially compared to... those other 3 movies......  

wingman

Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:48 pm

I'm just gonna 4 movie passes in a row and spend the whole day at the theater. Movies 1 and 2 were seminal moments in my life and I expect nothing less from JJ than his very best. I am friggin psyched beyond comprehension.

jetwet1

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:33 am

Quoting slider (Reply 10):
In JJ We Trust.

At this point we have to, after the last 3, well okay the first 2 of the last 3, we have to trust him to get this franchise back on track.

Okie

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:21 am

And recorded.

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 11):
Anyone else notice someone missing in that poster? Interesting.

The poster's orbit and rotation are such that you can only see the light side much like the moon.
You will have to go to the movie and view from a galaxy far far away to see the dark side.

Okie

Aaron747

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:48 am

Anyone think Mark Hamill isn't in the poster because he has just aged so poorly they didn't want him in it? 
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

BlueSky1976

Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:35 am

Quoting slider (Reply 8):
Interesting that the most commented on feature is what/who is NOT in it--Luke Skywalker.

Luke Skywalker IS on the poster. Guess where.        

I figured it out, but I won't spoil it.

Hint: certain things simply run in the family...      

BTW I'm seeing the December 18 12:01AM show. Tickets already purchased.

[Edited 2015-10-19 23:37:10]
Tarriffs are taxes. Taxation is theft. You are not entitled to anything.
If it's a Boeing, I'm not going.

CaliAtenza

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:49 am

Quoting BlueSky1976 (Reply 18):
uke Skywalker IS on the poster. Guess where.        

Hint: certain things simply run in the family...

Luke didn't go to the Dark Side. That would be utterly stupid and a total disservice to the fans.

BlueSky1976

Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:45 am

Mark Hamill was being prominently promoted along with Carrie Fisher as the cast member of the new trilogy.

If Luke is not on the poster and Darth Whathever-his-name is, then there is only one, obvious reason why. Disservice or not, its JJ Abrams - the twistmeister from "Lost".

"Never underestimate the Power of the Dark Side!"

[Edited 2015-10-20 01:47:27]
Tarriffs are taxes. Taxation is theft. You are not entitled to anything.
If it's a Boeing, I'm not going.

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:50 am

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 19):
Luke didn't go to the Dark Side. That would be utterly stupid and a total disservice to the fans.

I suppose Disney can do whatever they want.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

Boeing717200

Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:51 pm

The trailer looks killer, but it also reveals something else. This is going to be too dark and violent to take your kids to. It's like JJ took all of the violence combined from the first six films and crammed it into this two minute trailer. Jeeze man.

[Edited 2015-10-20 05:54:27]

Polot

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:23 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 22):

Its a trailer.. they are always like that to build excitement since we are talking about an action/fantasy/adventure movie, not a comedy or drama. Here is a trailer for the first movie from 1977:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g3_CFmnU7k

Note how 90% of it involves people/ships shooting at each other and explosions.

slider

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:53 pm

I'm pretty sure that's Kylo Ren (Adam Driver), not Luke. There's certainly a lot of story speculation, and Abrams has been (rightfully) VERY tight lipped about things. But I think the omission (except for the brief glimpse of him with R2, as in the second teaser) is deliberate.

I loved the trailer, but in a deeper less emotional way than I thought I would. Slow build, we're introduced to the new primary protagonists (Rey, Finn), the new bad guy, and it frames things up wonderfully without giving anything away. I think the tone of this is perfect.

garnetpalmetto

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:58 pm

Beyond that, Kylo Ren, "Darth Whathever-his-name is," as BlueSky put it, is confirmed to be played by Adam Driver. Luke isn't in the poster, likely because his role in the first film will be more limited.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

cjg225

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:37 pm

I am setting my expectations atomically low for this. I am still so irked about the EU being destroyed. I am strongly considering not seeing it until a few weeks after release to see if the sheen wears off with the fans. Undoubtedly, opening night, it'll be lauded as the greatest movie ever, and people will cheer and clap and generally be very high on the movie, just like they were with Episode I. It wasn't until later that it set in with most people that Episode I was awful.

Having watched the trailer from last night... I am thinking that Episode VII is really Episode IV v2.0.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

wingman

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:51 pm

Well at this point in real life Luke does kind of look like the old Emperor, no CGI required. But I can't say I'd like that storyline unless JJ's worked it out well. Adam Driver, talk about a guy with the perfect persona to take on the new master villain role. I'm more excited about him than any other character. Of course as I got older Darth did become my favorite in the first movies. I still love telling my wife to go get my son by saying "Bring him to me".

Latest news this morning: Fandango website crashed last night after pre-sale tickets went online..in case you needed another reason to wait for the first few weeks. The Force is strong in this one...bwahahahahahahaha.

Boeing717200

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:44 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 23):
Note how 90% of it involves people/ships shooting at each other and explosions.

Yeah, but no force torture or piles of slaughtered people in the background.

jetwet1

Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:56 pm

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 26):
Undoubtedly, opening night, it'll be lauded as the greatest movie ever, and people will cheer and clap and generally be very high on the movie, just like they were with Episode I.

Hang on, there were very few people who thought that The Phantom Menace was a great movie, the reaction when I saw in the theater was more a long the lines of "WTF was that?"

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 17):
Anyone think Mark Hamill isn't in the poster because he has just aged so poorly they didn't want him in it?

For some reason I am remembering a poster with him holding a lightsaber with Darth Whatshisname in the background.

Stabilator

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:46 pm

LOL at some of your reactions. Too dark? Fine with me. Beats the HELL out of the prequels. Lucas got well deserved flack for talking about trade embargoes and writing characters as stupid as Jar Jar. This film will likely be PG13. Kylo is NOT Luke. In one of the scenes you can see Kylo without his mask and he has long dark hair. His figure is also totally different than Hamill's. P.S did you guys notice what Rey seemed to be crying over? Cannot unsee  
Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 29):
Hang on, there were very few people who thought that The Phantom Menace was a great movie, the reaction when I saw in the theater was more a long the lines of "WTF was that?"

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 28):
Yeah, but no force torture or piles of slaughtered people in the background.

Palp getting his face lightning'd by Mace's deflection. Luke getting his hand chopped off. The Gamorrean being eaten by the Rancor. The blood n guts in the Wampa cave. Legless, armless Anakin. Greedo being murdered in cold blood. C'mon man...these are all "dark" things but that doesn't make the franchise less accessible or inaccessible to children.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Osubuckeyes

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:39 pm

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 26):
people will cheer and clap and generally be very high on the movie, just like they were with Episode I. It wasn't until later that it set in with most people that Episode I was awful.

I feel like people were excited about that movie up until the point it ended, when they realized that was one of the worst films ever made. Episode II was a step above but still a huge discombobulated mess. Episode III was good, but it didn't have much to live up too compared to it's prequels.

This movie looks like it could be really awesome, but I may be biased as a JJ Abrams fan based on what he did with the Star Trek series.

CaliAtenza

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:59 pm

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 21):
I suppose Disney can do whatever they want.

I'm pretty sure Disney isn't that stupid to sign off on that. Besides, most of the fan websites have already debunked that theory. What I could see is Luke being undercover as a Sith or something.

cjg225

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:06 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 29):

I saw it in theaters 2-3 times and each time people loved it. So did I. And then weeks later I realized... man, this movie is awful, especially after re-watching the original trilogy.

slider

Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:26 am

Quoting Stabilator (Reply 30):
P.S did you guys notice what Rey seemed to be crying over? Cannot unsee
http://io9.com/heres-a-shot-by-shot-...f-all-the-goodies-in-th-1737486310

Here's a good breakdown of the thing, by frames. Hard to tell what it is she's crying about; "Probably the trailer’s most mysterious shot. Rey is crying in the snow. She seems to be holding some kind of leather jacket. People who wear this kind of leather jacket in the movie: Finn, Poe, Han—and to us, this looks like it might be Finn. "

We'll see.

The thing about the trailer is that it spoiled nothing....there's a lot of mystery about almost every aspect of the movie, from characters to story, and I love it.

jetwet1

Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:27 pm

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 31):
I feel like people were excited about that movie up until the point it ended, when they realized that was one of the worst films ever made.

Exactly, there is a group of us that go to these types of movie openings, i'm lucky in the fact that the place I am an execuite for has it's own movie theaters, so I am able to twist some arms and have an employee showing in the middle of the night, so I end up being surrounded by people who are huge fans of whatever franchise, I guess that would make the reactions more focused than a general public. Yes I was excited about Esp 1, we all were, then reality hit.

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 33):
I saw it in theaters 2-3 times and each time people loved it. So did I. And then weeks later I realized... man, this movie is awful, especially after re-watching the original trilogy.

I actually watched it a couple more times over the next couple of months just to make sure it wasn't an ok movie that had fallen victim to a to high level of anticipation, it became clear that it sucked.

At least with JJ running the show I think the chances of anther Jar Jar showing up is slim to none.

This movie looks like it could be really awesome, but I may be biased as a JJ Abrams fan based on what he did with the Star Trek series.

At this point I think it's safe to say we have all seen what JJ is capable of putting out, when his version of Star Trek came out, I was honestly worried about where he would take the franchise, but, IMHO, except for Wrath of Khan it was the best Star Trek movie, certainly the most adult one.

ER757

Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:35 pm

I think Kylo Ren is Han an Liea's kid

the KY from "Skywalker" and the LO from "Solo"

Sydscott

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:12 am

Episode II was a step above but still a huge discombobulated mess.

I rate Episode II as easily the worst one in the series. Zero plot, all special effects and totally pointless. At least Ep 1 had a purpose which was to establish Anakin even if it was poorly done. Ep II was just awful.

The only thing I hope Disney does is expands what is currently Canon from the existing Expanded Universe. Books like Outbound Flight and Darth Plagueis should be in there as backgrounders.

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:25 am

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 37):
Books like Outbound Flight and Darth Plagueis should be in there as backgrounders.

"Darth Plagueis" was an excellent read. I'd love to see "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" become a movie someday as well.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Aaron747

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:27 am

Quoting slider (Reply 24):
I loved the trailer, but in a deeper less emotional way than I thought I would. Slow build, we're introduced to the new primary protagonists (Rey, Finn), the new bad guy, and it frames things up wonderfully without giving anything away. I think the tone of this is perfect.

Agree that it has the right tone and feel, but my heart got going as soon as the Falcon was being chased by TIEs to John Williams' epic 'Han and Leia' from Episode V. 
Ep II was just awful.

Couldn't agree more - WORST attempt at sci-fi love story *ever*. Episode III was super (except for still having Hayden Christensen in it) and almost made up for I and II, but not enough to erase them from memory.  

cjg225

Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:13 am

The only thing I hope Disney does is expands what is currently Canon from the existing Expanded Universe. Books like Outbound Flight and Darth Plagueis should be in there as backgrounders.

They wiped away ALL of the EU material that was released before the beginning of last year.

None of it exists anymore, not before, after, or between the two existing trilogies. The slate is entirely clean. They'll commission new works to fill in the massive gaps they just created.

Sydscott

Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:17 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 38):
"Darth Plagueis" was an excellent read. I'd love to see "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" become a movie someday as well.

I think there is definitely material in there to work from.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 39):
Episode III was super (except for still having Hayden Christensen in it) and almost made up for I and II, but not enough to erase them from memory.

Episode III was the best of that series. I don't think that really says much about it but it was at least watchable!

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 40):
They wiped away ALL of the EU material that was released before the beginning of last year.

None of it exists anymore, not before, after, or between the two existing trilogies. The slate is entirely clean. They'll commission new works to fill in the massive gaps they just created.

I'm aware of that. But as much as they have wiped the slate clean I tend to think that there are some stories that Lucasfilm could choose to make Canon and expand upon. The two I mentioned are prime examples of that because both could easily be made into movies, both can easily stand on their own two feet and both involve interesting characters and storylines which can be re-cast within the new SW universe. Critically they're also both Clone Wars, or pre Clone Wars, era novels so they don't effect what is going on with the current movies.

cjg225

Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:33 pm

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 41):
I'm aware of that. But as much as they have wiped the slate clean I tend to think that there are some stories that Lucasfilm could choose to make Canon and expand upon. The two I mentioned are prime examples of that because both could easily be made into movies, both can easily stand on their own two feet and both involve interesting characters and storylines which can be re-cast within the new SW universe. Critically they're also both Clone Wars, or pre Clone Wars, era novels so they don't effect what is going on with the current movies.

I would be extremely surprised if they did that after having killed it all off. They want to be able to write everything over to make even more money. Giving CPR to existing stories doesn't do that nearly as well. At best you get some newer fans reading it, but not older ones who already have the book.

Even expanding upon existing stories puts them in a weird position where they have to re-write, probably, because even the new trilogy could make references that negate something that happened 70 years prior.

I hate that the old EU is gone, but, objectively, it makes sense... and probably won't ever come back.

Boeing717200

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:41 pm

Quoting Stabilator (Reply 30):
Palp getting his face lightning'd by Mace's deflection. Luke getting his hand chopped off. The Gamorrean being eaten by the Rancor. The blood n guts in the Wampa cave. Legless, armless Anakin. Greedo being murdered in cold blood. C'mon man...these are all "dark" things but that doesn't make the franchise less accessible or inaccessible to children.

As I said:

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 22):
It's like JJ took all of the violence combined from the first six films and crammed it into this two minute trailer. Jeeze man.
Quoting Sydscott (Reply 41):
Episode III was the best of that series. I don't think that really says much about it but it was at least watchable!

All three were bad. Too much digital at a time when digital looked like a cartoon. The opening scene from III is horrid. Since it was almost all digital, they should spend some money and go back and do it again only this time make it look realistic.

nwadeicer

Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:14 pm

I miss the Red Tail

cjg225

Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:21 am

Quoting nwadeicer (Reply 44):
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11...ph-the-insult-comic-dog-star-w_fun

That never gets old.

Thanks for posting. I hadn't seen that in forever.

PC12Fan

Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:07 am

I don't know dude. I think he has. Look at the trailer(s). The "New Darth" states he will finish what Darth Vader started. He also seems to be attached to R2D2 emotionally. The fact we have not seen his face yet makes me speculate that Luke has gone to the dark side. And IMO, it's a genius way to put a spark in the series to keep the passion going longer.

Remember, Luke was briefly tempted.

Just sayin'.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:19 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 43):
The opening scene from III is horrid.

The opening battle scene? Are you nuts? That was one of the best parts of the film!

Boeing717200

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:44 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 47):

The opening battle scene? Are you nuts? That was one of the best parts of the film!

Don't watch it on a big screen. Seriously, it looks like a cartoon. I'm using an Opio with a 4K projector. It's a disaster. Don't know if it was projector tech back then or in the increased resolution today, but it's bad. Really bad.

[Edited 2015-10-28 19:46:41]

Sydscott

Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:41 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 48):
Don't watch it on a big screen. Seriously, it looks like a cartoon. I'm using an Opio with a 4K projector. It's a disaster. Don't know if it was projector tech back then or in the increased resolution today, but it's bad. Really bad.

It's still the best part of that movie.  
Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 46):

I don't know dude. I think he has. Look at the trailer(s). The "New Darth" states he will finish what Darth Vader started. He also seems to be attached to R2D2 emotionally. The fact we have not seen his face yet makes me speculate that Luke has gone to the dark side.

To me the answer is in the title of the film. As JJ Abrams has said, the reason he was so intrigued and agreed to this film was to answer the question "who really was Luke Skywalker". Anakin Skywalker was the chosen one who brought balance to the force because, ultimately, he wiped out both the Jedi and the Sith. That means that, in effect, the Force and everyones understanding of it, could then start again. So my conclusion is either that the Force became somewhat lost to Luke and he's been searching for it, or he's been in hiding waiting for the Force to tell him its time to re-emerge because it has awakened both the Light and the Dark side..