Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Stuck In Jury Duty

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:05 pm

I have jury duty all this week. I have not been put on a jury yet, just hanging out in the assembly area since Monday morning, and trying to figure out ways to occupy my time.

I've already read every single article on the BBC, Fox News, and CNN sites. I have learned how to flip a quarter between my fingers. My email, LinkedIn account and other mailboxes are now as clean and tidy as they have been in years. I have pondered the "no guns allowed" sign at the courthouse door - probably a good idea, I admit after a few days lik this and I might start shooting everyone - just to relieve the boredom.

Any suggestions?
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

ArmitageShanks

RE: Stuck In Jury Duty

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:39 pm

Check out the QuizUp app. Tons of trivia categories and you can play with people all around the world. Great for wasting time.

OA412

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:46 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Thread starter):
I have jury duty all this week. I have not been put on a jury yet, just hanging out in the assembly area since Monday morning, and trying to figure out ways to occupy my time.

That's an interesting way of doing it. Where I live, you're called for a specific day, and unless there's something very pressing, if you don't get called that day, you go home and are done.

Any suggestions?

What about a book? I know you're in an "older" demographic, but what about some game apps? There are a lot of fun quiz apps and such out there. There's really not much else I can think of. It's one of those necessary evils that's often as boring as possible.

[Edited 2015-10-20 08:48:06]
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

casinterest

Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:05 pm

Time for some Boom Beach/Clash of Clans on the cellphone, along with some poker.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:00 pm

Well I got picked, so I guess I'll have something to do. I'll propose death penalty for all counts...

casinterest

Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:02 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 4):

For an HOA Dispute ?  

bhill

Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Learn how to juggle.....might be distracting enough to have you dismissed...
Carpe Pices

Okie

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:42 pm

Well I got picked, so I guess I'll have something to do. I'll propose death penalty for all counts...

You get to do your civic duty.

I got picked on a trial that lasted 5 weeks. The best I could tell you is all the relevant testimony could have been heard in less than a day.

Okie

cjg225

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:07 am

I love being a licensed attorney. Automatic "out" for jury duty.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

WarRI1

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:44 am

The last time I had jury duty, when they were describing the case, the judge asked if anyone wanted to be excused, I told him I had knowledge of the case before hand.
Excused.

[Edited 2015-10-20 17:49:23]
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:54 am

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 8):

Actually, our state attorney general is in our jury pool this week. Even he doesn't get out of it.

ArmitageShanks

Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:05 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 10):
Actually, our state attorney general is in our jury pool this week. Even he doesn't get out of it.

John Roberts was called for duty a few years ago and actually showed up. Of course he was dismissed but its cool he at least showed up.

I may be in the minority but I actually enjoyed when I was summoned for jury duty. It was the day my grandfather died but I still went. It was interesting to see how the process worked and it felt good to be able to do that. The case we saw was absolutely amazing... a total nutcase suing his landlord for something like 10 million dollars for broken steps and minor cosmetic issues after he fell down. Not guilty, not guilty, not guilty all day.

[Edited 2015-10-20 18:08:16]

us330

Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:26 am

love being a licensed attorney. Automatic "out" for jury duty.

Not in Texas. I still had to show up, but I didn't get picked (that's what happens when you raise your hand and disagree with what one of the attorneys said).

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 11):
John Roberts was called for duty a few years ago and actually showed up. Of course he was dismissed but its cool he at least showed up.

Dubya showed up as well within the past month or so. Didn't get picked, but still did his civic duty.

flymia

Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:39 am

Is it an automatic out in your state? It is not in Florida. The only automatic out is if you are a police officer or work for the state attorney office. Anyone and everyone else must show up. Sure if you are an attorney you will likely not be picked, but still need to show.

I know an attorney who works for DHS who had to sit on a week criminal trial.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

777Jet

Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:48 am

I'm still waiting for my turn and if I ever get the chance I hope it's some kind of big case  
Any suggestions?

More time on a.net?  
I'll propose death penalty for all counts...

Especially if it's a case involving rude passengers v airline staff or air-rage, right???
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

LittleFokker

Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:50 am

I may be in the minority but I actually enjoyed when I was summoned for jury duty.

I've been summoned twice (first time was when I had already moved out of the jurisdiction), but I was assigned to a trial that ended up lasting 5 days on the one time I did have to appear. It was a fascinating experience, and I'm glad I got to do it. Our case was a medical malpractice suit where a lady had a hip implant fail - we ended up ruling in favor of the doctor (plaintiff failed to prove the doctor was negligent and there were a variety of factors that could have caused this woman's hip to fail). After we gave our verdict, both the judge and defendant's attorney took a little bit of time to talk to us jury members and let us in on some details of the case that we were not officially allowed to hear during the trial. It sucks that being on a jury didn't even pay 10% of what I make at my job, and I would feel bad for those who get stuck on multiple week juries for the pay their missing out on, but overall it was a positive experience.

I love being a licensed attorney. Automatic "out" for jury duty

I don't know if it's an automatic out, but during the jury selection phase for my trial, a lawyer did stand up when asked and loudly yelled out "You guys voted for medical malpractice tort reform - I hope this lady gets every penny she's due!" Now that guy knew how to get out of being selected!
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:07 am

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 15):
After we gave our verdict, both the judge and defendant's attorney took a little bit of time to talk to us jury members and let us in on some details of the case that we were not officially allowed to hear during the trial.

I agree - and we even had a bit of an argument today with the judge about that very issue.Everyone on the jury panels felt strongly that no evidence should be considered "inadmissible", particularly concerning the circumstances surrounding the defendant. One case is of a guy accused of shoplifting $100 worth of paint from a Home Depot. My first question (which apparently we don't have the right to know) is whether the accused is employed, and how much he makes. If he has a job, a nice home and a $100K salary, it would raise doubts as to whether that person would steal $100 worth of paint, unless he has perhaps a history of kleptomania.

mad99

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:31 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 16):
My first question (which apparently we don't have the right to know) is whether the accused is employed, and how much he makes. If he has a job, a nice home and a $100K salary, it would raise doubts as to whether that person would steal $100 worth of paint, unless he has perhaps a history of kleptomania.

i think the trial should be based on facts or evidence and not how successful someone is.

I've met some really crap people how have loads of money and sometimes you read stories about poor people who find money and return it.

Did he steal it or not?

Mir

Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:18 am

Quoting mad99 (Reply 17):
i think the trial should be based on facts or evidence and not how successful someone is.

There's either evidence that the person stole it or there isn't. Either way, how much money the person has is irrelevant, and it's not wrong at all to have that be inadmissible.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

EA CO AS

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:07 am

I always liked George Carlin's suggestion; tell the judge you'll make a terrific juror because you can spot guilty people (snaps fingers) just like that!

Classic.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

cjg225

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:27 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 13):
Sure if you are an attorney you will likely not be picked, but still need to show.

I probably should've clarified to that. Yeah, attorneys still get summoned, but in my experience and those of attorneys I know, once they find out you're an attorney you get dismissed (I've heard the typical reason is that they don't want you trying the case in your head as you'd do it).

Okie

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:03 pm

I agree - and we even had a bit of an argument today with the judge about that very issue.Everyone on the jury panels felt strongly that no evidence should be considered "inadmissible", particularly concerning the circumstances surrounding the defendant. One case is of a guy accused of shoplifting $100 worth of paint from a Home Depot. My first question (which apparently we don't have the right to know) is whether the accused is employed, and how much he makes. If he has a job, a nice home and a $100K salary, it would raise doubts as to whether that person would steal $100 worth of paint, unless he has perhaps a history of kleptomania.

My answer is this

Quoting Okie (Reply 7):

I got picked on a trial that lasted 5 weeks. The best I could tell you is all the relevant testimony could have been heard in less than a day.

You only get to consider evidence given, no more no less.

The judge usually issues the jurors written instructions you follow those like a decision tree.

Okie

D L X

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:56 pm

Not true everywhere! In Virginia, you can't even be called. In DC, being an attorney does not get you out. When 15% of the professionals in the city are attorneys, you could easily disqualify enough of your pool so that you can't have a legit jury.

Besides, a jury of your peers should actually look like the people around you. Removing 15% of the population inherently destroys that.

John Roberts was called for duty a few years ago and actually showed up.

And good on him! As a resident of DC, he's eligible. I would have considered impaneling him.  
Everyone on the jury panels felt strongly that no evidence should be considered "inadmissible", particularly concerning the circumstances surrounding the defendant.

Strongly disagree. The biggest reasons evidence is made inadmissible is because it is either 1) unreliable or 2) introduces bias. Your example is both. The unpoor still steal and poor people still usually don't steal (obvs), so evidence that the guy has money or not is unreliable. It also introduces bias because we are predisposed to believing that people only commit crimes they are motivated to commit, and that their motivations must align with the ones that would motivate us. But the truth is, you and I are not criminals because there are NO actual motivations in our lives to commit crimes, so we would only see a motive in an extreme case. But we easily impute motives on people who are different than us. We back-logic our ways into motives when we conclude in our own minds that the accused may have done it. (I.e., I think he may have done it, but I can't convince myself of that fact until I come up with a reason why he may have done it. He must have done it because he's poor.)

Unreliable and bias-inducing evidence does not actually help reach the correct conclusion. Therefore, it is not to be admitted.

casinterest

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:58 pm

The last time I served on Jury duty, we wanted to throw the plaintiff in Jail with the defendant. Two of the most hard headed people. Had one of them deescalated the situation( And there were multiple opportunities to do so) we never would have been there. Of course it wound up being an assault charge, but I wanted it on both.

bhill

Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:41 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 22):
Strongly disagree. The biggest reasons evidence is made inadmissible is because it is either 1) unreliable or 2) introduces bias.

I do not get this...of COURSE either the plaintiff or defendant WANT to introduce bias...it is how they win their case! And as for the paint issue...does modus operandi come into play?? Unless the defendant is mentally ill....logic dictates to discover what motivated a person to commit a crime, as it may come into play in the sentencing phase...allegedly of course...
Carpe Pices

LittleFokker

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:00 pm

Quoting bhill (Reply 24):
I do not get this...of COURSE either the plaintiff or defendant WANT to introduce bias...it is how they win their case!

If you were on trial for a crime you didn't commit, would you rather the jury render judgement on facts and evidence or a "gut feeling?"
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

D L X

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:05 pm

I do not get this...of COURSE either the plaintiff or defendant WANT to introduce bias...it is how they win their case!

No, you win your case by proving that the accused did or didn't do it, not that he "looks like he could have done it" or that "i could see how he would have been motivated to do it."

Unless the defendant is mentally ill....logic dictates to discover what motivated a person to commit a crime

As for the culpability phase, motive usually plays little if any role, and for good reason. Different people are motivated by different things. Obviously, for the people that actually commit a crime, either they were more easily motivated, or the unusual event that would trigger a "reasonable" person to commit a crime actually occurred. But then again, reasonable persons don't commit crimes.

ER757

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:49 pm

I've never served, been summoned a couple times but have gotten out of it. I do have a question for the lawyers on here though.
Say I get called in, am asked questions by the counsels for each side to see if I should be selected. If I ask them this question, which is totally serious by the way, will I be excused?
The question: Do you care if the defendant is innocent or guilty or do you just want to win the case? In other words, if you hear testimony that in your mind makes it undeniable that he's one or the other, do you continue to press the case or move for closure?

nws2002

Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:14 pm

I was almost arrested last time I had jury duty. I hate all the stupid courthouse rules while they keep you locked up for the week. Being marched everywhere in a single file line. No headphones allowed, which means no music or Netflix because obviously you cannot just listen to it through speakers either.

Someone sneezed in the big waiting room where they keep you until needed for a trial. You are not allowed to talk but instinctively I said "bless you". The court clerk told me to "shut up" and I told her to "f--- off". Apparently she called the sheriffs office and I had to explain what happened to a deputy.

IADCA

Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:24 pm

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 28):
The court clerk told me to "shut up" and I told her to "f--- off".

Remember that the next time a passenger gives you stick instead of immediately complying with an instruction on a flight.

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:34 pm

I've met some really crap people how have loads of money and sometimes you read stories about poor people who find money and return it.

Did he steal it or not?

I agree it should not be a deciding factor, but it is relevant, and should be considered as circumstantial evidence, IMHO. The judge's instructions would be important - Circumstantial evidence might be enough to tip 99% certainty to 100%, but not 50% to 100%.

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 28):
Someone sneezed in the big waiting room where they keep you until needed for a trial. You are not allowed to talk but instinctively I said "bless you". The court clerk told me to "shut up" and I told her to "f--- off". Apparently she called the sheriffs office and I had to explain what happened to a deputy.

I don't know where you are, but in my area (Cobb County, Georgia) we have a pretty nice assembly area, you can wander around a couple of different rooms, there is a little coffee shop, comfortable chairs, you can step outside for a smoke, and you are free to talk. Whenever they announce the need to assemble loudspeakers cover the whole area.

PITingres

Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:16 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 27):
Say I get called in, am asked questions by the counsels for each side to see if I should be selected. If I ask them this question...

In our county, that's not going to happen. You're asked the questions posed by counsel, and you don't get to ask anything back. At least that's how it worked in the civil court empaneling I was at a few years back. I don't recall wanting to ask a question during the various times I've been summoned for criminal court duty.

Fortunately, Allegheny is one of the counties where it's one day and done (unless you are picked for a trial). They are pretty good about deferrals, as well, assuming you have a reason that's better than just "don't wanna".

The civil empaneling is the only one I can remember where I seriously, actively did not want to be involved. When they asked if I could render a fair judgment based on the facts given the parties, I answered (truthfully!) with a firm Hell No, party XXX is guilty, and if maybe not in this case, they got away with something else. I was excused.  
Fly, you fools! Fly!

D L X

Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:17 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 30):
but it is relevant

How is it relevant?

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:07 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 32):
How is it relevant?

Well, to take an extreme example, let's say the police find the victim's body in the suspect's basement along with the murder weapon etc, but there is a problem with the warrant (the address was mispelled, or the date was wrong).

aerorobnz

Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:04 am

I got called and selected twice. Challenged off the court room twice, once by prosecution once by defence. I was lucky that time.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

mad99

Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:43 am

I agree it should not be a deciding factor, but it is relevant, and should be considered as circumstantial evidence, IMHO. The judge's instructions would be important - Circumstantial evidence might be enough to tip 99% certainty to 100%, but not 50% to 100%.

i don't agree with your example of someone being better off less likely to steal.

I have a friend who lives in Oakland California (near San Francisco) who is a black single mother who rents a house. That might lead someone to think she's poor but she also owns three other houses near a man made 'lake' near a metro station in Oakland and each house is worth 700k +

She also drives a Subaru and tells me that people think she's a lesbian (?)

Take them as the come!

airportugal310

Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:53 am

Speaking of which, I've got jury duty tomorrow super early...yay
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

CXB77L

Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:50 pm

Any suggestions?

I don't understand what's so bad about jury duty. Unfortunately for me, being a lawyer automatically disqualifies me from jury service, but if I were eligible, I'd leap at the opportunity.

I also love being a lawyer, but not for the fact that I'm automatically disqualified from jury service.

If anything, I think more lawyers should be jurors, given their legal training and understanding of the rules of evidence, and standard and onus of proof in trials.

Everyone on the jury panels felt strongly that no evidence should be considered "inadmissible", particularly concerning the circumstances surrounding the defendant. One case is of a guy accused of shoplifting $100 worth of paint from a Home Depot. My first question (which apparently we don't have the right to know) is whether the accused is employed, and how much he makes. If he has a job, a nice home and a $100K salary, it would raise doubts as to whether that person would steal $100 worth of paint, unless he has perhaps a history of kleptomania.

I strongly disagree with this. Whether a person is well off or not is not relevant to proving the case at hand, namely, whether that particular defendant did steal from Home Depot. His financial status does not go towards proving his guilt over this offence, and therefore such evidence is, and should be, inadmissible. In fact, I'd say that your line of thinking is precisely why such evidence should be inadmissible: it is prejudicial to the accused, and has no probative value at all.

To paraphrase Tom Cruise (I love A Few Good Men), it doesn't matter what you think, it only matters what the prosecution can prove.

I don't see how it is at all relevant. It is not even circumstantial evidence; it is plainly irrelevant. Using your case as an example, circumstantial evidence would be evidence of $100 worth of paint from Home Depot in his basement, with no evidence to proof how it got there - no fingerprints on the tin, no CCTV footage or eyewitness testimony of the theft having taken place, no witnesses to the accused in possession of said paint ...

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 33):
Well, to take an extreme example, let's say the police find the victim's body in the suspect's basement along with the murder weapon etc, but there is a problem with the warrant (the address was mispelled, or the date was wrong).

Does the alleged murder weapon have the victim's DNA on it? Does it have the accused's DNA on it? Can it be forensically proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the alleged murder weapon is the weapon used to commit this particular crime, and that the accused is the person who committed it?

[Edited 2015-10-22 08:05:02]
Boeing 777 fanboy

IADCA

Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:58 pm

How is it relevant?

It is relevant in Federal Rules terms, in my view: it tends to make the likelihood that someone stole more or less, depending on that person's need to steal. Where I come down on ruling it out is that that fact tends to be more prejudicial than it is probative, just because of the inherent assumption that a rich person wouldn't steal due to lack of need.

Part of the issue here is that you're much smarter than the average juror. I accept that you personally are probably capable of weighing that evidence properly, but the problem is that many (most?) people simply don't like to think at all and instead take whatever leads to a decision most easily.

D L X

Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 33):
How is it relevant?

Don't mistake what I said for a belief that circumstantial evidence is per se irrelevant. It is not, and it is quite often admissible.

(Though if there's a problem with the warrant, how did the police get in to find the body? They better have taken curative steps or this guy walks. Fourth Amendment and all.)

But as for an accused being wealthy or poor, no, that's not relevant. (Or as IADCA correctly notes below, more prejudicial than probative.)

Quoting IADCA (Reply 38):
It is relevant in Federal Rules terms, in my view: it tends to make the likelihood that someone stole more or less, depending on that person's need to steal. Where I come down on ruling it out is that that fact tends to be more prejudicial than it is probative

This is an aviation forum. Now you're just being overly fancy.  

(I tried to keep my explanation as lay as possible.)

cjg225

Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:02 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 37):
I also love being a lawyer, but not for the fact that I'm automatically disqualified from jury service.

If anything, I think more lawyers should be jurors, given their legal training and understanding of the rules of evidence, and standard and onus of proof in trials.

I've heard that's exact reason why lawyers shouldn't be jurors. They are inherently biased by their own "understanding" of rules, burdens, etc. which may be wrong and may be against the ultimate instructions to the jury.

DocLightning

Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:34 am

I may be in the minority but I actually enjoyed when I was summoned for jury duty.

I was on a 3-day criminal case that left me wondering why the DA had wasted all the time and money to bring it to trial when there was no way we could convict.

We deliberated for all of 30 seconds, which consisted of me (the foreman) asking if anyone wanted to convict on the first count and getting crickets. Then I asked if anyone wanted to convict on the secondary lesser account. Crickets again.

I have two issues with jury duty. The first is that I view it as in contradiction with the 4th and 13th amendments. In requiring me to go to serve time, they are depriving me of my income (the compensation for jury duty is laughable) and they are committing me to involuntary servitude. Now, this could be completely resolved if I could simply bring in paychecks and show what I actually make in a day at the office (which is a lot) and they would pay me for it. If you're paying me what I would earn at work, then I'll do it voluntarily. I'm expensive, though.

The second is that I actually think that a system of "jury of peers" is flawed. I have no legal education and frankly, if my life is on the line, I don't want a group of citizens with no legal education deciding my fate. I'd rather have a system like they use in Italy where they have professional jurors.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Mir

Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:07 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 41):
The first is that I view it as in contradiction with the 4th and 13th amendments. In requiring me to go to serve time, they are depriving me of my income (the compensation for jury duty is laughable) and they are committing me to involuntary servitude.

No more than being taxed deprives you of income. Juries are needed public services, just like the other stuff your tax money goes toward.

As for involuntary servitude, I would say that the right to a speedy trial for the accused takes priority. If we didn't have a large pool of jurors to draw from, cases would likely sit much longer before a jury could be assembled, and that's not a good state at all. It's not that much of an inconvenience to serve jury duty once every several years.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 41):
The second is that I actually think that a system of "jury of peers" is flawed. I have no legal education and frankly, if my life is on the line, I don't want a group of citizens with no legal education deciding my fate. I'd rather have a system like they use in Italy where they have professional jurors.

Hired by whom, though? The point of a jury of peers is that they're supposed to be free of influence from the government. If the government is doing the hiring, what's to stop them from hiring people who are more likely to convict, and then paying them well enough to make sure they do so?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

DocLightning

Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:43 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 42):
As for involuntary servitude, I would say that the right to a speedy trial for the accused takes priority. If we didn't have a large pool of jurors to draw from, cases would likely sit much longer before a jury could be assembled, and that's not a good state at all. It's not that much of an inconvenience to serve jury duty once every several years.

In my jurisdiction you can be called every year.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

VapourTrails

Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:54 am

My email, LinkedIn account and other mailboxes are now as clean and tidy as they have been in years.

This is an interesting thread and thanks for posting it. I have got the letter a couple of times but nothing further. Phew. I know people who have been called up, and I DO NOT envy them. Also, I really hate waiting around! Waste of time and life.

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 1):
Check out the QuizUp app. Tons of trivia categories and you can play with people all around the world. Great for wasting time.

Oh, thank you so much! I signed up for this, and while I don't wish to spend anymore time on the iPad / phone than I already do, this app is great! I have also won every aviation round I've participated in so far.  And learnt a few things along the way also.  
Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 9):
The last time I had jury duty, when they were describing the case, the judge asked if anyone wanted to be excused, I told him I had knowledge of the case before hand.
Excused.

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 14):
I'm still waiting for my turn and if I ever get the chance I hope it's some kind of big case.

This is my worst fear. I hope if I ever get to the jury panel stage that it is not some heinous crime or murder, or I may end up with PTSD. Half not joking, I have a heightened sensitivity to violence.   

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 14):
Especially if it's a case involving rude passengers v airline staff or air-rage, right???

This would be OK, an aviation one I could deal.  

Did he steal it or not?

-----------------------------

Good luck with it all, hope it is all over soon.  

Ken777

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:50 pm

I got called once about 2 years ago. My name was called for a case and we went through the questioning by the attorneys. Lasted one round before being excused. What happened was that by Wednesday noon they realized that there would be no need for any additional juries - all trials were ongoing and no new trials would start that week.

The case I was called for was a second degree homicide and possession of a weapon as a felon. The news report later in the week showed that the jury was pretty clever - Not Guilty on the murder charge and Guilty on the weapons charge. The Not Guilty verdict removed any challenges on appeal. The Guilty verdict was not realistic to appeal and the Jury gave the Defendant 35 Years for a sentence, which the Judge upheld.

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 44):
I have a heightened sensitivity to violence.

Nothing wrong with that - it diminishes the defender's arguments that he had a difficult childhood

fr8mech

Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:52 pm

Books, books and more books. I read 3 or 4 books at any given time, so they're all loaded on my iPad. I also have an old Kindle...which is what I would probably bring to keep me focused on the books and not the apps.

As or jury duty, I've never been called. Lived in 5 different counties in 3 states and never been called. My wife was called, once, but we were in process of moving out of the state, so she was deferred.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Ken777

Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:56 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 46):
My wife was called, once, but we were in process of moving out of the state, so she was deferred.

That just reminded me: my wife was called and was quickly dropped from the rolls when she sent in a copy of her green card.

WarRI1

Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:02 am

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 44):
This is my worst fear. I hope if I ever get to the jury panel stage that it is not some heinous crime or murder, or I may end up with PTSD. Half not joking, I have a heightened sensitivity to violence.

The case I was excused from was sexual molestation of a boy by a man who lived in my neighborhood. I knew of the case and when I entered the courtroom, there he was. I felt like beating the daylights out of him, so I knew I was not going to be able to be impartial.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.