N415XJ
Topic Author

Pilot On Iberia Flight: "landing In Palestine"

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:01 am

A pilot of an Iberia flight to Tel Aviv announced during descent that they "would be landing shortly in Palestine" angering the Israeli passengers. Here is the story: http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Co...ounced-landing-in-Palestine-430340

Personally, even though I may agree with this pilot's political positions, what he said was completely unprofessional and factually inaccurate. Tel Aviv is located in the State of Israel, and the pilot saying otherwise is just an annoying way for him to broadcast his political ideology in a completely unnecessary and unhelpful way. The pilot is there to fly the plane, not preach about geopolitics.

Moose135

RE: Pilot On Iberia Flight: "landing In Palestine"

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:03 am

Even as a non-Israeli, I would be annoyed at that - it would make me wonder where the hell he had flown us to, and how long it would take to get to my destination.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

DolphinAir747

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:26 am

Very unprofessional. Either an attempt to try to make a political statement or a bad joke gone awry.

Let A.net's concurrent Israel-Palestine irrelevant political discussion #14051948 begin in 5...4...3...2...1...

stratacruiser

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:38 am

Maybe Iberia needs to update their maps.

trex8

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:40 am

Maybe he's of Moor background?

Armodeen

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:51 am

Quoting N415XJ (Thread starter):

Personally, even though I may agree with this pilot's political positions, what he said was completely unprofessional and factually inaccurate. Tel Aviv is located in the State of Israel, and the pilot saying otherwise is just an annoying way for him to broadcast his political ideology in a completely unnecessary and unhelpful way. The pilot is there to fly the plane, not preach about geopolitics.

Agree. He can have any view he wants but to voice it as he did is unprofessional.

Pyrex

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:55 am

Perhaps he should have his security clearance revoked. Someone like that cannot be trusted with the lives of hundreds of people and the control of a machine capable of slamming into buildings at 500 mph carrying dozens of tons of fuel.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

ltbewr

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:59 am

Not only was it unprofessional, but with the sorry history of Spain, the home country of Iberia, as to Jews (the Inquisition, and support of Hitler in WWII), it was insulting as well as bad customer relations.

eaa3

Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:05 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 6):
Perhaps he should have his security clearance revoked. Someone like that cannot be trusted with the lives of hundreds of people and the control of a machine capable of slamming into buildings at 500 mph carrying dozens of tons of fuel.

Are you saying that someone who has sympathy with the Palestinians should not be trusted to fly a plane. That anyone with sympathy for the Palestinians is a terrorist? Slamming into a building is a terrorist act.

If that´s the case, then there will be a heck of a lot of Middle Eastern and other pilots that couldn't fly.

Zkpilot

Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:10 am

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 8):
Are you saying that someone who has sympathy with the Palestinians should not be trusted to fly a plane.

Having sympathy is one thing, making a political statement like this while operating an aircraft does raise questions about his suitability to fly (his next statement could be to crash possibly).
64 types. 44 countries. 24 airlines.

N415XJ
Topic Author

Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:16 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 6):

Woah, that's quite the jump. I don't agree with the guy's actions, but that doesn't make him a terrorist.

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 9):
(his next statement could be to crash possibly).

I might be inclined to agree with you if he went on a 15 minute screaming rant about how Israel will face it's day of reckoning, but he just made a passive-agressive, childish comment. I guess we should ban all pilots who have ever felt sad because their next act may be flying a plane into the French Alps...

Pyrex

Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:21 am

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 8):
Are you saying that someone who has sympathy with the Palestinians should not be trusted to fly a plane

This is not about sympathy with the "Palestinians" (whoever they are), he was flying into Tel Aviv, a city in Israel that even in the deranged "pre-1967" plans that Palestinian supporters claim to be the basis for a two-state solution would clearly and unequivocally be in Israel. He was basically claiming the country he was flying into should not exist on the map. Someone who wants to rewrite history all the way to 1948 (why stop there?) has no business flying a plane for an airline from a civilized nation.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Armodeen

Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:26 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 11):
This is not about sympathy with the "Palestinians" (whoever they are

Did you really just say that? Unbelievable  

crownvic

Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:38 am

Quoting Armodeen (Reply 12):
This is not about sympathy with the "Palestinians" (whoever they are

Live from the B.B.C., here we go! The guy is entitled to an opinion!

prebennorholm

Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:38 am

As an Iberia captain he should limit that sort of stunts to domestic flights, to Basque County, Catalonia (Barcelona) and such.

Or even better, he should work positively to avoid a second Spanish Civil War.

For his personal health I recommend that he doesn't appear on the PA with "Viva Canarias Libre".
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

B8887

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:04 am

Very unprofessional and factually inaccurate.

What a sorry comment.

Regards.

B8887

jmc1975

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:07 am

Pilot should be fired for supporting terrorism. Unfit to fly, and certainly unfit to ever be in Israel again.

seabosdca

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:19 am

Quoting N415XJ (Thread starter):
"would be landing shortly in Palestine"
Quoting Pyrex (Reply 6):
Someone like that cannot be trusted with the lives of hundreds of people and the control of a machine capable of slamming into buildings at 500 mph carrying dozens of tons of fuel.
Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 9):
(his next statement could be to crash possibly)
"Palestinians" (whoever they are)
deranged
Quoting jmc1975 (Reply 16):
Unfit to fly, and certainly unfit to ever be in Israel again.

Just more proof that this topic absolutely makes people lose their minds. With the reactions it inspires it's no wonder that the peace process has spun its wheels for two generations.

1g

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:12 am

Just downright ridiculous.

The pilot is clearly trying to shove his beliefs onto the other passengers, probably fully aware he's going to seriously provoke the passengers.

You can sympathize with whatever side on the Israeli-Palestine conflict but really it's not the time to bring up your beliefs over an intercom.

I'm going to play devil's advocate and assume for the best that the pilot simply mixed up Israel and Palestine for the moment, but that doesn't seem to be the case if the article is correct.

lychemsa

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:33 am

He was not fired.

Only banned from flying to Tel Aviv.

An Alitalia pilot did the same thing about 10 years ago.

jacobin777

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:34 am

Pilot should be fired for supporting terrorism

This is not about sympathy with the "Palestinians" (whoever they are)

Yup unbelievable it is.

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 2):
Very unprofessional.

Quoting 1g (Reply 18):
Just downright ridiculous.

"Up the Irons!"

thaiflyer

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:36 am

If you are deliberate provoking in name of a joke (if intended) you are going to far.
If he meant it seriously he should learn to keep politics out of his work and be reprimanded.
I would be a little bit upset if somebody tries to shoves his believes up onto me.

alfa164

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:39 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 6):

That has to be the worst knee-jerk reaction in this thread.

This is not about sympathy with the "Palestinians" (whoever they are), he was flying into Tel Aviv, a city in Israel that even in the deranged "pre-1967" plans that Palestinian supporters claim to be the basis for a two-state solution would clearly and unequivocally be in Israel. He was basically claiming the country he was flying into should not exist on the map. Someone who wants to rewrite history all the way to 1948 (why stop there?) has no business flying a plane for an airline from a civilized nation.

No... I was wrong. This has to be the worst knee-jerk reaction in this thread. Spouting information (or disinformation) that is not in evidence. +

Pilot should be fired for supporting terrorism. Unfit to fly, and certainly unfit to ever be in Israel again.

Good grief!    He makes a comment... and now he is "supporting terrorism"? Okay... you get the award for the worst knee-jerk reaction.. and the gold medal for hyperbole, at the same time.

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 17):
Just more proof that this topic absolutely makes people lose their minds. With the reactions it inspires it's no wonder that the peace process has spun its wheels for two generations.

I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

MAH4546

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:52 am

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 19):
He was not fired.

Only banned from flying to Tel Aviv.

That's ridiculous. He should be fired. While he certainly isn't a security threat, IAG should have zero tolerance for Antisemitism.
a.

bennett123

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:57 am

I wonder what the reaction would be if he made an anti Christian/Muslim statement.

flyguy89

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:02 am

For the love of God, let's please keep that whole conflict OUTSIDE the cockpit; at least one place it sure as hell doesn't belong.

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 24):
I wonder what the reaction would be if he made an anti Christian/Muslim statement.

I don't think I'd feel safe flying with any pilot who's OK provoking an entire plane mid-air no matter what bear (Christian/Muslim/Jewish) they poke.

QF29

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:08 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 23):
zero tolerance for Antisemitism.

Just because a person does not support Israel does not mean they are automatically anti-semitic.

Although the pilots comments were just plain stupid, that does not justify some of the worst knee-jerk reactions I've seen on this site.
A318/19/20/21, 330-2/3, 345, 380, B737-4/6/7/8 B763 B743/4 B777-2/3 B787-8, Q-400

Planeflyer

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:09 am

This sad story and the BBC position is just another indication that we have forgotten all the lessons of the 30's and 40's.

SCQ83

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:30 am

Comments here are the true joke

andrej

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:10 am

Why stir up the hornet's nest? The territory of today's Israel was once known as the Syria Palaestina, as well as Judea.

Anyways, let me just sit back, and see where this tread will go....   

CARST

Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:08 am

Quoting QF29 (Reply 26):
Just because a person does not support Israel does not mean they are automatically anti-semitic.

Sorry, but what exactly in "landing shortly in Palestine" does make the pilot an anti-semitic person? Not supporting an country like Isreal, which acts like terrorists since decades, does not make a person anti-semitic. The country of Israel and the Jewish religion are not the same thing.

Of course this guy should have not made the remark, but only because he was acting as an AZ pilot. As a private person he can say whatever he wants.

Planeflyer

Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:21 am

Quoting CARST

Sorry, but what exactly in "landing shortly in Palestine" does make the pilot an anti-semitic person? Not supporting an country like Isreal, which acts like terrorists since decades, does not make a person anti-semitic. The country of Israel and the Jewish religion are not the same thing.

Love to see what the critics of Israel do if they had to live in their neighborhood.

Actually we know the answer if we look back over the last 1000 years.

jacobin777

Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:46 am

Quoting Planeflyer (Reply 31):
Love to see what the critics of Israel do if they had to live in their neighborhood.

Still doesn't make it anti-Semitic.   
"Up the Irons!"

flyingturtle

Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:47 am

Where's the fine line between "We're soon landing in Palestine" and "We're landing in Pyongyang, please adjust to the local time and put the clocks back 2000 years"?

On a technical matter I think the Iberia pilot is right - the *only* solution I see for Middle East peace is going back to 1947 and start fresh with both a Palestinian and a Israeli state, and if there's no agreement between all the parties, everyone shall live in one country, and have the same rights and the same duties.

But it's unprofessional to make a very politically loaded comment while working as a pilot.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

PanHAM

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:09 am

Highly unprofessional. If he does not like Israel he should have asked for another assignment for the day. There is no state Palestine and that is to a great deal the fault of the Palestinians themselves.

I would have been offended as well if I had been a passenger on that flight and if a LH Pilot would make such a remark he would not get away with getting banned from flying there. A formal letter of caution would have been the least , Besides that such a remark is politically one sided and racist as well. As a Pilot he represents the Company much more than an average Office worker.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

art

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:09 am

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 17):
Quoting N415XJ (Thread starter):"would be landing shortly in Palestine" Quoting Pyrex (Reply 6):Someone like that cannot be trusted with the lives of hundreds of people and the control of a machine capable of slamming into buildings at 500 mph carrying dozens of tons of fuel. Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 9) his next statement could be to crash possibly)Quoting Pyrex (Reply 11):"Palestinians" (whoever they are)Quoting Pyrex (Reply 11):derangedQuoting jmc1975 (Reply 16):Unfit to fly, and certainly unfit to ever be in Israel again.

Just more proof that this topic absolutely makes people lose their minds.

Indeed. Ridiculous that if you don't agree with the international political status quo you are deemed to be incompetent and a threat by some.

In any event, could have been a slip of the tongue. There's a stretch of water between Arabia and Iran. It may offend Saudis etc if I refer to it as the Persian Gulf and it may offend Iranians if I refer to it as the Arabian Gulf. I use both terms. Who's got a problem here? I would venture it is not me.

Wayfarer515

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:18 am

Quoting QF29 (Reply 26):

Although the pilots comments were just plain stupid, that does not justify some of the worst knee-jerk reactions I've seen on this site.

This, being anti-zionism and being anti-semitism are two completely different things, in this case the pilot made a statement against zionism, which I can agree with to certain extent, but why every time anybody criticizes Israel it has to turn out to be an anti-semitic statement?

Give me a break.

P.D. And his statement about landing in Palestine is somewhat factually correct, if we go by the pre-1946 definition of Palestine before the world decided to compensate the Jews for screwing them up, and then decided to screw up the Muslims instead:

http://www.juancole.com/images-ext/2...tory-of-palestinian-nationhood.jpg

skipness1E

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:23 am

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 8):
Are you saying that someone who has sympathy with the Palestinians should not be trusted to fly a plane. That anyone with sympathy for the Palestinians is a terrorist? Slamming into a building is a terrorist act.

I think being quite so overtly political and making a very contentious statement in a febrile atmosphere where people are bing killed daily on both sides might indicate I don't want him flying my plane, so yes.

Planeflyer

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:24 am

Flyingturtle,

I invite you to look at chapter 12 of the Hamas charter.

http://www.thejerusalemfund.org/www....documents/charter.html?chocaid=397

Please consider that the people who call the shots in the Palestinian territories look at the Israelis just like their Nazi forefathers looked at Jews in Europe.

PA515

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:30 am

Quoting QF29 (Reply 26):

Completely agree. And not all people of Jewish background support Israel either. There are plenty of 'Jewish' athiests etc.

Quoting Planeflyer (Reply 31):

Well, they didn't have to live in that neighbourhood. They arrived voluntarily and until 1948 mostly illegally against the wishes of other Palestinians.

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 33):
start fresh with both a Palestinian and a Israeli state

That's how the UN voted in 1947.

PA515

[Edited 2015-10-29 03:33:54]

flyingturtle

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:58 am

Quoting Planeflyer (Reply 38):
Please consider that the people who call the shots in the Palestinian territories look at the Israelis just like their Nazi forefathers looked at Jews in Europe.

Uh, but why should Palestinians pay for the crimes the Nazis did commit? One can really understand the ire of Hamas members, though one can, should and readily will disagree with their methods. And well, why should a self-respecting country be bothered by the charter of an organization?

Quoting PA515 (Reply 39):
That's how the UN voted in 1947.

A resolution by the UN General Assembly is non-binding. And it even stipulates that everybody who lost his home is either allowed to return, or be compensated if they chose not to return. Either way, if the UN partition plan would be followed to the letter, it would turn out quite nasty for Israel.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

cedarjet

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:59 am

It's only different to landing in Istanbul and saying "Welcome to Constantinople" because the Israelis and their supporters know Israel, certainly in it's current apartheid form, is illegitimate. Otherwise why would they care? I was on a BA flight recently from Hong Kong to London and the captain said our flight would fly over the Soviet Union (which was a bit more loaded than the Constantinople reference, I think it might have been a pop at Putin) but I don't think any passengers minded, because Russians aren't lacking legitimacy the way Israel, which doesn't even have an agreed border or capital, is.

So, to the rabble...

the deranged "pre-1967" plans that Palestinian supporters claim to be the basis for a two-state solution

So it's deranged for the Palestinians should be entitled to basic human rights the rest of us enjoy, such as statehood.

Pilot should be fired for supporting terrorism.

And a public reference to Palestine is supporting terrorism.

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 22):
That has to be the worst knee-jerk reaction in this thread.

You would think so, but there's worse...

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 23):
While he certainly isn't a security threat, IAG should have zero tolerance for Antisemitism.

A reference to Palestine (it's people Semites btw) is anti-Semitic.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 34):
There is no state Palestine and that is to a great deal the fault of the Palestinians themselves.

And finally, let's blame the victim. It's their own fault Palestine was overrun by immigrants with the backing of world superpowers. Gotcha.

Sad day for a.net, this thread.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

pvjin

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:01 am

I think that is a good question actually. There's no independent state called "Palestine", however there is a geographic area commonly known as Palestine. By that definition anyone, including Jewish Israelis, could be called "Palestinian" because they live in that area.

"Palestinian" as a clear separated ethnic identity does not exist, the culture and language of people in Gaza for example doesn't clearly differ from that in surrounding Arab nations. It's rather used to refer to Arabs living in historical geographic area of Palestine that is now mostly controlled by state of Israel.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

RyanairGuru

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:12 am

It's good to hear that he wasn't fired, as it shows that IB to their credit didn't cower in the face of a media backlash tinged with racism. While his comments are utterly unprofessional, they are not of themselves anti-Semitic and it would be appalling for him to have lost his job just to satisfy a vocal minority.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

N415XJ
Topic Author

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:42 am

Quoting pvjin (Reply 42):
It's rather used to refer to Arabs living in historical geographic area of Palestine

The same way Syrians are Arabs living in the historical geographic area of Syria, Egyptians are Arabs living in the historical geographic region of Egypt, etc... What do you propose, naming all the Arab nations 'Arab State #1, 'Arab State #2,' and so on? Also, Palestinian culture and language does indeed differ from other surrounding Arab nations. It's not wildly, crazily different, but there are distinctions in their specific variation of colloquial Arabic, food, customs, etc, in the same way that Lebanese and Syrians or Jordanians and Syrians differ slightly.

AR385

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:49 am

I´d like to limit my statements to commercial aviation here, but it´s going to be difficult.

First of all, the current Israeli government, NOT the Jews, or the Israeli citizens, but rather the government, is behaving as of the past few years like an apartheid regime, at the minimum, and like a genocidal machine in many instances. This intentional behavior, that ignores all attempts at a peaceful solution in exchange for tactics and policies seemingly designed to eliminate the remaining Palestinians from their few pieces of land in Palestine, has created a momentum where Israel has lost all credibility and the world is tired of Bibi and its genocidal, deceptive, treacherous ilk.

Given the above, people of all walks of life have become more vocal in speaking their mind and making statements that however totally appropiate in essence, are not appropiate in certain contexts.

The Captain, anyway you wish to spin it, is there to fly the plane. No to transmit his political ideology, nor his frustrations, whatever the reasons for them, neither his views of the Israeli-Palestine cluster f***. I sympathize with what he wanted to do. Make a statement, contribute a bit to denounce the Israeli genocide, but the venue was absolutely wrong. He deserves whatever is coming to him, and I hope he learns that spouting controversial, inflaming comments to a captive audience that has no choice but to listen to an individual´s political, and sociological views of a long drawn out conflict is wrong, childish and ironically, totalitarian.

What I find interesting as it relates to the Civil Av forum is that generally whenever a crew member and a passenger (allegedly) butt heads, threads here become epical and bloody. Worthy of an entire CostCo size box of popcorn, with mods deleting posts left and right, bans issued liberally and ultimately an untimely, tragic locking up of the thread to prevent more bloodshed. So given what one camp here maintains that the crew has ABSOLUTE authority and that the Captain is the ABSOLUTE ultimate authority on board, followed by the (sometimes) power tripping FAs and that they can´t say, nor do any wrong...

I suppose then that it is kind of hypocritical to get annoyed at the Captain. After all, it is A.net mantra that he is infallible in his authority. Whatever he says is to be followed to the letter and of course there must be another side to the story anyways. So why is he not getting a pass in this thread and instead he is being criticized and second guessed?

He is THE CAPTAIN, a.net!! If he said he is landing in PALESTINE, he sure as heck, was landing in Palestine. After all, crew members are the ultimate power and can do no wrong. Or maybe, but THERE IS ALWAYS ANOTHER SIDE TO THE STORY...

I wonder if a passenger had raised hell after hearing that announcement, If said passenger had dared complained and questioned the Captain, would he have been restrained? Israeli police called upon arrival? Boy that would have been ironic.

[Edited 2015-10-29 05:22:33]

PanHAM

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:52 am

yeah, the usual "victimization2 of the guys stirring the conflicts..

A Pilot is not like any other employee, he wears a uniform and represents the company to the outside. He is not in a Position to make Statements like the one mentioned. If he does, he violates his contract he signed for the Company.

Off duty he can have any opinion he wants, he can even have that opinion while on duty. He just cannot voice that opinion, especially not over the PA systemI could imagine that, even if hew ould be a Pilot for one of the ME3 and he would make a similar remark, they wouldn't be overjoyed. since they also depend on an international mix of passengers.

In short, politics and religion have no place when on duty..
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

ilyag

Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:04 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 45):
I´d like to limit my statements to commercial aviation here, but it´s going to be difficult.

Sorry, this is the least "commercial aviation centric" comment I have seen on this forum in years.

a36001

Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:16 pm

Hey Iberia pilot! leave the political stuff to the UN and just fly the plane! The pilots or cabin crews opinion of the middle east in that context are as relevant as a priests opinions of climate change at a funeral. Just do the job your employed to do!

Qatara340

Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:58 pm

Good for him; I find it nothing wrong for calling it Palestine. Kudos to the brave pilot who dared to speak the truth.

Palestine is a country, whose flag was raised in the United Nations recently; and who is represented as part of the UN.

[Edited 2015-10-29 06:02:12]
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله