PA727

RE: Pilot On Iberia Flight: "landing In Palestine"

Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:02 pm

Should the Captain have said that? No, he shouldn't have.

Is the world in general too thin skinned and quick to outrage? Absolutely.

Captain made a stupid comment, was pulled off service to Israel. We're done here, can we please move on without reading into his intent and creating the narrative? Sometimes people just say dumb things.

JayBCNLON

Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:04 pm

How can this be News?
#
Firstly, it's all hearsay. Secondly, the Pilot is right. Just look it up in Wikipedia: Israel is located in a region called Palestine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestine

[Edited 2015-10-29 06:07:35]

lugie

Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:31 pm

Quoting Wayfarer515 (Reply 36):
And his statement about landing in Palestine is somewhat factually correct, if we go by the pre-1946 definition of Palestine before the world decided to compensate the Jews for screwing them up, and then decided to screw up the Muslims instead

This may very well be true,

BUT we aren't in "pre-1946" anymore. We're in 2015. If it still were for "pre-1946", he wouldn't have been flying an Airbus jet all the way over the mediterranean sea in under 5 hours, and that also means "pre-1946" borders are completely invalid by now.

One can, of course, question if today's border situation is any better or worse than back in 1946 but that's not what the General Aviation forum is about.

It is about the fact that this pilot abused his position as a professional up front by propagating questionnable political phrases over the intercom of a commercial airliner, well aware that those might hit a wrong nerve with some of his passengers, read: customers.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

sierrakilo44

Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:35 pm

Quoting Planeflyer (Reply 38):
Flyingturtle,

I invite you to look at chapter 12 of the Hamas charter.

http://www.thejerusalemfund.org/www....documents/charter.html?chocaid=397

Please consider that the people who call the shots in the Palestinian territories look at the Israelis just like their Nazi forefathers looked at Jews in Europe.

Sorry, but Israeli government figures have made similar disgusting comments about the Palestinian people as well, it's not all one sided:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...entrated-in-camps-and-9649103.html

https://www.tytnetwork.com/2014/07/10/israeli-politician-calls-for-genocide-of-palestinians/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/22/wo...locaust-draws-broad-criticism.html

dfambro

Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:36 pm

As a CEO, if an employee of my company made an intentionally politically provoactive announcement to a group our customers, that employee would be meaningfully disciplined. Depending on circumstances, that could be firing (I'd lean that direction in this case, but would need to know more circumstances and employee history).

Flaps

Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:42 pm

Last time I checked there were very few laws in any country that make a crime out of simply being an a$$hole. The guy has a right to his own opinions and his statement is a reflection on the pilot and the pilot alone. Ok by inference it is also a reflection on IB but that is up to IB to determine how they should deal with it. Hardly grounds for an international outcry. One of the biggest issues around the globe today is too many people trying to tell others who or what they the should be and far too few people minding and taking care of their own business.

This thread is a perfect example.

JayBCNLON

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:00 pm

The Pilot is correct in what he said. According to Wikipedia Israel is a part of the region of Palestine. Today Tel Aviv is, indeed, in Palestine.

Just read it for yourselves in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestine_(region)

"Palestine (Arabic: فلسطين‎ Filasṭīn, Falasṭīn, Filisṭīn; Greek: Παλαιστίνη, Palaistinē; Latin: Palaestina; Hebrew: פלשתינה Palestina) is a geographic region in Western Asia between the Mediterranean Sea and the Jordan River. It is sometimes considered to include adjoining territories. The name was used by Ancient Greek writers, and was later used for the Roman province Syria Palaestina, the Byzantine Palaestina Prima, and the Umayyad and Abbasid province of Jund Filastin. The region is also known as the Land of Israel (Hebrew: ארץ־ישראל Eretz-Yisra'el), the Holy Land or Promised Land, and historically has been known as the Southern portion of wider regional designations such as Canaan, Syria, ash-Sham, and the Levant.

Situated at a strategic location between Egypt, Syria and Arabia, and the birthplace of Judaism and Christianity, the region has a long and tumultuous history as a crossroads for religion, culture, commerce, and politics. The region has been controlled by numerous peoples, including Ancient Egyptians, Canaanites, Israelites, Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians, Ancient Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, the Sunni Arab Caliphates, the Shia Fatimid Caliphate, Crusaders, Ayyubids, Mameluks, Mongols, Ottomans, the British, and modern Israelis and Palestinians.

The boundaries of the region have changed throughout history. Today, the region comprises the State of Israel and Palestinian territories in which the State of Palestine was declared."

OP can we please put this thread to rest?

[Edited 2015-10-29 07:08:55]

[Edited 2015-10-29 07:09:40]

pvjin

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:03 pm

Quoting N415XJ (Reply 44):

Well, we simply shouldn't pretend "Iraqi" "Syrian" or "Palestinian" are legitimate ethnic groups. Ethnically they are all Arabs who just happen to be living under different made up (and rather new) political entities, quite similar to people of different Spanish speaking countries in South America.

Quoting Qatara340 (Reply 49):
Palestine is a country, whose flag was raised in the United Nations recently; and who is represented as part of the UN.

Israel is also a country, to not appear like a biased brick he should have at least mentioned also Israel.

[Edited 2015-10-29 07:07:59]
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

peterinlisbon

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:34 pm

Imagine if he had said "Bit of a change of plan, ladies and gentlemen, in 10 minutes we'll be landing in sunny Raqqa, the capital of the Islamic State". Perhaps he can save that one for next time. Seriously though, what he said was an insult to every Israeli citizen on the plane (probably most of the passengers) and I'm sure plenty of people will complain about it. Even if Iberia doesn't punish him, I imagine he'll be banned from flying to or entering Israel for the rest of his life. Hardly a smart career move.

RIX

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:04 pm

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 41):
Israel, certainly in it's current apartheid form, is illegitimate
Quoting AR385 (Reply 45):
apartheid regime, at the minimum, and like a genocidal machine
Quoting CARST (Reply 30):

Isreal, which acts like terrorists since decades

- now, this is knee-jerk.

OA412

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Wow this thread, rather predicatbly, went to hell in a handbasket pretty damn quickly. Given how loaded the political situation is in Israel, he absolutely shouldn't have made the comment he did, particularly because he should have expected the backlash that followed. That said, what he did was not anti-Semitic or pro-terrorist, nor does it call into question his ability to fly an aircraft. A lot of pilots say rather stupid things on here and elsewhere, but that doesn't mean they aren't fit to fly.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 28):
Comments here are the true joke

Absolutely idiotic, and just proves that the vast majority of people are incapable or unwilling of thinking rationally, and are perfectly willing to engage in intellectual dishonesty when it comes to this issue.

Quoting jacobin777 (Reply 32):
Still doesn't make it anti-Semitic.   

Precisely.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

DDR

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:20 pm

Quoting peterinlisbon (Reply 58):

Apparently, he has been removed from flights to/from Israel. He should not have made an inflammatory statement over the P.A. It just is not professional.

Yes he should be punished as an example to others. No, he should not be fired.

B8887

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:22 pm

The BBC is now reporting it. Will they take the CVR out to extract the recording? If so, how long would the plane be out of service?

Regards.

B8887

csavel

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:33 pm

Trying to keep out of the IP hornet's nest but it might be nigh impossible.

What would be the motivation for the pilot to say they'd be "landing shortly in Palestine?" To provoke the passengers. Even if (with good reason) he sympathizes with the plight of the Palestinians, he could have said, we'll be landing shortly in the Tel Aviv area. He made a choice. He chose to provoke the passengers who, ultimately, pay his salary.

Imagine if a pro-Israel pilot, flying from US to Jordan (I think those planes can overfly Israel, but if not, assume they can for the sake of argument) and he said, "Um Ladies and gentlemen, due to traffic at Amman we'll have to circle over Samaria", a sh*t storm would follow and a sh*tstorm *should* follow. When I am on the clock, I am neutral. If I can't be then I have to remove myself from the situation. IB flies to a lot of places, he could hvae chosen to fly to those other places.

Imagine if an animal rights vegetarian said, "Our meal choices tonight are pasta, murdered baby cows, or slaughtered domestic birds." Not. Cool. No matter how much I sympathize with animal welfare. No difference here.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

PDPsol

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:39 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 57):
Ethnically they are all Arabs who just happen to be living under different made up (and rather new) political entities, quite similar to people of different Spanish speaking countries in South America.

Of course this comment has absolutely nothing to do with commercial aviation, but it is completely incorrect.

There is no such thing as an "ethnic South American". For your information, a South American can be of ANY ethnicity or race, or any mix of races. There are large communities of European, Native American, Asian and Afro-descendant people throughout the continent of South America. Certain nations in South America have large Native American and mixed European/Native American populations, while a couple of southern cone societies are predominately of European descent. The largest and most important nation in South America, Brazil, has a very large European population and Afro-descendant community, as well as countless mixed race citizens.

Obviously, the western Hemisphere, "the Americas" is the most ethnically diverse continent on the planet, having received immigrants and colonial settlers from all corners of the planet. Arguing there is such a thing as a typical "South American" is like arguing there are typical "North Americans"; completely absurd.

trex8

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:40 pm

Quoting B8887 (Reply 62):
The BBC is now reporting it. Will they take the CVR out to extract the recording? If so, how long would the plane be out of service?

Don't CVRs just record about half hour, at least IIRC thats the minimum regulated, though many will do up to 2 hrs? If that plane went back to Spain the portion of interest has been recorded over already.

[Edited 2015-10-29 09:58:02]

AussieItaliano

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:00 pm

I guarantee that if he used the term "the Holy Land", nobody would have been outraged. It would simply have been acknowledged that he was using a historical term which has been used to describe the area.

Palestine has several meanings. It can be used as a historical name to describe the region, or it can be used to describe the ethnic group/authority/State which the UN envisioned in 1947.

If he intended the former, no intent to get involved in a political issue, but if he intended the latter, then he believes that the city of Tel Aviv should be under the control of a government other than the Israeli government.

I would imagine that the action taken by IB would have been based on what they determined his intent to be. I cannot judge since I have not investigated the situation.
Third Runway - LHR, Second Runway - LGW, Build Them Both!!!

MAH4546

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Quoting jacobin777 (Reply 32):
Quoting Planeflyer (Reply 31):
Love to see what the critics of Israel do if they had to live in their neighborhood.

Still doesn't make it anti-Semitic.

Support for a culture who's primary goal is the elimination of Israel and death to Jews worldwide absolutely makes one in Antisemite. There is no other phrase for it.
a.

peterjohns

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:22 pm

Quoting AussieItaliano (Reply 66):
I guarantee that if he used the term "the Holy Land", nobody would have been outraged

And I guarantee you that it wouldn´t take long until someone want´s to have him fired!!

What this whole thread shows- is only how narrow minded even the A.netters community is. I am dissapointed
that even in the Aviation enthusiast website there are so many religious hardliners- on the one side as on the other.
The world would be such a better place if all could see that religion is just man made BS. Period.
Can man walk over water?- Of course, it just is a question of temperature...

This thread should be moved to the military aviation forum!?

CaliAtenza

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:25 pm

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 41):
So it's deranged for the Palestinians should be entitled to basic human rights the rest of us enjoy, such as statehood.

Um, they had a state in 1947, in the UN partition plan. In fact, they had more land allotted to them then the Jews. I mean, they decided to start a war instead of take the deal, so that's on them.

ASA

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:30 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 28):
Comments here are the true joke

I know ... I thought of responding seriously to some of the outrageous comments ... then thought, I'll only respond to jokes like these with jokes! 
Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 14):
For his personal health I recommend that he doesn't appear on the PA with "Viva Canarias Libre".

For personal health, I recommend appearing on the PA with "Viva Cannabis Libre"!  

pvjin

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:33 pm

Quoting PDPsol (Reply 64):
There are large communities of European, Native American, Asian and Afro-descendant people throughout the continent of South America.

Yes, people whose ancestors were European, Native American, Asian or African. However I don't really get all the focus on genetics and race, in year 2015 those should be irrelevant. Culture and social class are what I see as the defining factors and more important part of most people's identity, perhaps also nationality to a limited extent. For example you can hardly find an "African-American culture" that would apply to all black people in the US.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

wingman

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:35 pm

Some of the comments are indeed over the top but the pilot is at best emotionally immature and amateurish. He's there to do a job and be focused on it 100%. This pilot could now be expected to say any number of inappropriate things upon arrival at any destination in the world, not something I'd be comfortable with if I were IB. He could land in Taipei and say "welcome to the capital of the one true China", or any number of equally idiotic things to say as...A PILOT representing an airline with paying customers aboard.

On the bright side I suppose, he's not a heart surgeon. I could almost hear him advising the patient just as the lights went out..first we will cut open your terrorist chest cavity, then we will replace your heart with one from a true believer.

This guy wins jackass of the week.

alfa164

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:44 pm

Quoting Flaps (Reply 55):
The guy has a right to his own opinions and his statement is a reflection on the pilot and the pilot alone. Ok by inference it is also a reflection on IB but that is up to IB to determine how they should deal with it. Hardly grounds for an international outcry. One of the biggest issues around the globe today is too many people trying to tell others who or what they the should be and far too few people minding and taking care of their own business.

I suppose the next time a Captain announces that his favorite team just beat their archrivals, that losing team's fans will demand he be fired.

Quoting peterjohns (Reply 68):
What this whole thread shows- is only how narrow minded even the A.netters community is. I am dissapointed that even in the Aviation enthusiast website there are so many religious hardliners- on the one side as on the other.

I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

OMP777X

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:44 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 67):

Support for a culture who's primary goal is the elimination of Israel and death to Jews worldwide absolutely makes one in Antisemite. There is no other phrase for it.

Again, why should we let facts get in the way of anything you say here. Let's not forget that there are dozens of organizations who are made up of Jewish people who support a Palestinian state and wouldn't have been the least bit offended by this pilots comment. You personally want to demonize anyone who believes in a country known as Palestine and your credibility is therefore nonexistent in this thread at this point. Same goes for the rest of the Zionists who've let logic go out the window. You have no idea how strange you sound to the rest of us.

Best,

OMP777X
"Happy Flighting!"

Qatara340

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:07 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 57):
Israel is also a country, to not appear like a biased brick he should have at least mentioned also Israel.

No its not. To a lot of people it doesn't exist, nor will the Zionist regime last longer.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

ukoverlander

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:12 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 6):

Perhaps he should have his security clearance revoked. Someone like that cannot be trusted with the lives of hundreds of people and the control of a machine capable of slamming into buildings at 500 mph carrying dozens of tons of fuel.

Oh boy......they should make pills for this.

alfa164

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:17 pm

Quoting ukoverlander (Reply 76):
Oh boy......they should make pills for this.

I think they do... but the poster is off his meds...

seabosdca

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:27 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 67):
a culture

"A culture?" Really? There is an ideology that wants those things. It is by no means universal to the "culture." That is true on both sides.

The last 50 years have brought a lot of distrust and cynicism. But if you asked the population on either side whether they would support living side-by-side if it brought real peace, with no rockets, no bulldozers, and no existential threat to either, you would get a very large majority in favor on both sides. Each side just does not trust the other to get there.

alfa164

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:32 pm

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 78):
The last 50 years have brought a lot of distrust and cynicism. But if you asked the population on either side whether they would support living side-by-side if it brought real peace, with no rockets, no bulldozers, and no existential threat to either, you would get a very large majority in favor on both sides. Each side just does not trust the other to get there.

Your comment should be required reading for everyone before they are allowed to post on this topic.

wingman

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:37 pm

Quoting Qatara340 (Reply 75):
No its not. To a lot of people it doesn't exist, nor will the Zionist regime last longer.

I'd say you and Pyrex demonstrate perfectly the impossibility of peace in our lifetime. It's like the gun debate, there's no desire for rational debate in order to seek a balanced solution because so many people just prefer to wallow in the insanity that defines the extreme positions on both sides. Absolutely mental.

AAIL86

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:44 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 6):

Perhaps he should have his security clearance revoked. Someone like that cannot be trusted with the lives of hundreds of people and the control of a machine capable of slamming into buildings at 500 mph carrying dozens of tons of fuel.

Some of you people are simply amazing, two sides of the same bad coin really.
As with most problems both sides bear some responsibility.
Does Israel have a right to exist? Yes.
Does Palestine have a right to exist? Yes.

Simply amazing how some of you have swallowed one side or another's propaganda.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamim Franklin

kelual

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:59 pm

I'm really amused by all your opinions judging and condemning this pilot with the only proof of what the media said.
The plane was a A330-300 and out of 200 passengers ONLY 4 heard the word palestina. After hearing the recordings what the pilot said in Spanish (cause they admit that he only said it in Spanish....) was DESTINO (=DESTINATION) which sounds very close to PALESTINO. To be precise he said EN UNOS MINUTOS ATERRIZAREMOS EN NUESTRO DESTINO which is a very common phrase among spanish speaking pilots. it means IN A FEW MINUTES WILL BE LANDING IN OUR DESTINATION.
I guess apologies are in order starting from those customers, the Israeli Government, media etc

[Edited 2015-10-29 12:37:54]

RIX

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:11 pm

Quoting OMP777X (Reply 74):
your credibility is therefore nonexistent in this thread at this point.

Speak for yourself.

Quoting AussieItaliano (Reply 66):
if he used the term "the Holy Land"...

...then some retard would sue IB for religious propaganda.

jfk69

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:24 pm

He said something stupid....he should only be punished/ trained internally.

MODS, close this thread as it is out of hand.

aloges

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:26 pm

Quoting kelual (Reply 82):
I guess apologies are in order starting from those customers, the Israeli Government, media etc

not before hell freezes over

Anyway, if you get your panties in a twist over a geographically correct name being used, you are the problem and not the person using that name.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

pvjin

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:54 pm

Yeah, I'm sure if it was up to your government there would be an Islamic state called Palestine where no religion other than Sunni Islam would be allowed and things like homosexuality and apostasy would be punishable by death. Thankfully for now Israel acts as one of the few countries in Middle East that somewhat respects human rights, democracy and freedom of speech, things unknown in Qatar and Gaza.

Icaro

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:57 pm

He didn't say that at all. What he said was " en unos momentos estaremos aterrizando en nuestro destino, Tel Aviv" which some non Spanish speaking passenger took by ".... Palestina, Tel Aviv".
Nobody said anything about the English version, which was also right.
There were no complains on board and no mention of such an incident from any of the Spanish speaking passengers (many of the jews)
Clearly a misunderstanding gone out of control.
Regards

AAIL86

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:22 pm

Quoting Icaro (Reply 87):

He didn't say that at all. What he said was " en unos momentos estaremos aterrizando en nuestro destino, Tel Aviv" which some non Spanish speaking passenger took by ".... Palestina, Tel Aviv".
There were no complains on board and no mention of such an incident from any of the Spanish speaking passengers (many of the jews)
Regards

Interesting. I guess some of the people here who went ape$hit and called for the pilot's head on a platter can now apologize to the rest of us....

ASA

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:23 pm

Quoting Icaro (Reply 87):
Regards

And media taking full advantage of it ... nice!   

At least, we got to see how unbiased and reasonable some of our A-netter colleagues are ...  

wingman

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:37 pm

Is there some type of official IB response with the recording included?

Qatara340

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:54 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 86):
Yeah, I'm sure if it was up to your government there would be an Islamic state called Palestine where no religion other than Sunni Islam would be allowed and things like homosexuality and apostasy would be punishable by death. Thankfully for now Israel acts as one of the few countries in Middle East that somewhat respects human rights, democracy and freedom of speech, things unknown in Qatar and Gaza.

Hahaha Israel respects human rights?????

Dream on. By the way, Palestine is not only A Muslim country. It's also the birthplace of our prophet Jesus Peace Be Upon Him. So it's very much important to the Christian faith.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

pvjin

Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:18 pm

Quoting Qatara340 (Reply 91):
Hahaha Israel respects human rights?????

If Israel's rate of respecting human rights is 50% yours is 1%.

Quoting Qatara340 (Reply 91):
Palestine is not only A Muslim country. It's also the birthplace of our prophet Jesus Peace Be Upon Him. So it's very much important to the Christian faith.

Until someone shows me proper evidence of God's existence I don't really care for any of three Abrahamic faiths. All of them seem very intolerant and violent which further discourages me from having blind faith in any of them.

RobertS975

Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:25 pm

Wonder what this pilot's thoughts were about the Madrid train bombings 11 years ago with a death toll of almost 200.

pasu129

Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:40 pm

It is unfortunate that a commercial jet pilot, who has gone through extreme amount of time in training and tests to prove that he/she is physically and mentally capable to pilot an aircraft with others' lives at hand, would pull a stunt like that. Personal believes has no place in a professional environment. To me, this pilot is just another Kim Davis, pushing personal believes down someone else's throat, without regards of time and place.

I do not believe the pilot in question has any ties to terror attacks, nor any associations with any terror groups, however it found it extremely unsettling reading comments from above for someone (who shall not be named) to jump to such conclusion. Yet, I am not an investigator or such to thoroughly investigate each pilot who flies the aircraft I would be on, to validate such comments are in fact true or not.

There will be bad apples in every profession, and in every company, and even amongst us. However, what this pilot did was extremely unprofessional and I would suspect that already violated some of IB's policy.

[Edited 2015-10-29 14:44:18]
Viva Las Vegas

AAIL86

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:28 pm

Quoting pasu129 (Reply 94):

It is unfortunate that a commercial jet pilot, who has gone through extreme amount of time in training and tests to prove that he/she is physically and mentally capable to pilot an aircraft with others' lives at hand, would pull a stunt like that. Personal believes has no place in a professional environment. To me, this pilot is just another Kim Davis, pushing personal believes down someone else's throat, without regards of time and place.

I do not believe the pilot in question has any ties to terror attacks, nor any associations with any terror groups, however it found it extremely unsettling reading comments from above for someone (who shall not be named) to jump to such conclusion. Yet, I am not an investigator or such to thoroughly investigate each pilot who flies the aircraft I would be on, to validate such comments are in fact true or not.

There will be bad apples in every profession, and in every company, and even amongst us. However, what this pilot did was extremely unprofessional and I would suspect that already violated some of IB's policy.

See reply #87 above. The pilot didn't say that at all - just a misunderstanding run wild.

Icaro

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:39 pm

There's no recording. The black box is erased after each flight. But there are no more reports from passengers hearing that phrase

777Jet

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:01 pm

Quoting jmc1975 (Reply 16):
Pilot should be fired for supporting terrorism. Unfit to fly, and certainly unfit to ever be in Israel again.

Then all of the El Al pilots who support the Israel Government should also be fired...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

sierrakilo44

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:06 pm

And it's been confirmed by Iberia, it was all just a misunderstanding between similar sounding words in Spanish for "Destination" and "Palestine". A complete media beat up without any confirmed facts, which unfortunately a lot of people including on this forum fell for hook, line and sinker:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34665549

[Edited 2015-10-29 16:10:31]

mjoelnir

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:11 pm

First, the pilot does not seem to have said what he was accused off.

Second the crowd getting upset about Tel Aviv being in Palestine, should go back to school as they seemed to have missed geography. Palestine is a region and Israel, Gaza and the West bank are in the region of Palestine.

Definition:

Palestine (Arabic: فلسطين‎ Filasṭīn, Falasṭīn, Filisṭīn; Greek: Παλαιστίνη, Palaistinē; Latin: Palaestina; Hebrew: פלשתינה Palestina) is a geographic region in Western Asia between the Mediterranean Sea and the Jordan River. It is sometimes considered to include adjoining territories.